NATION

PASSWORD

[Abandoned Draft] The Conventions on Citizenship

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Hejmlan
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Abandoned Draft] The Conventions on Citizenship

Postby Hejmlan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:33 am

The World Assembly,
Noting all individual people as inheriting inalienable rights,
Understanding that habitants of many nations are without citizenship, or are designated as “non-persons,” relegating them to second class status, and
Upholding the moral principles guiding this Assembly,
Demands that all member nations shall provide, guarantee, and defend without condition, the following rights to all their citizens, or per equivalent:

1. The right to

2. And the right to renounce citizenship and apply for the citizenship of another nation.

(Draft unfinished)
Last edited by Hejmlan on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 am, edited 6 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 am

"It is WA convention to put line breaks after each clause to make the proposal easier to read."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Hejmlan
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hejmlan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:39 am

Kenmoria wrote:"It is WA convention to put line breaks after each clause to make the proposal easier to read."

I see, thank you

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:49 am

OOC: Welcome to the GA forum!

I'm glad you posted your idea here rather than submitted it rightaway like most newbies do. This way we can give you advice on how to make your proposal legal and better, or let you know that it's already been dealt with or that it's a non-issue or something that will never pass.

In this case, the right to emigrate is already a WA resolution, so that would be duplication.

You can find the passed resolutions here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30
The thread is easy to search with keywords. Here, for example, if you had searched with "emigration", you would have found GA #279, Right of Emigration. As for citizenship, have a look at these (I hope the link works).

In addition to existing resolutions, all proposals must also abide by the proposal rules, which include a category and a strengt or area of effect (some categories have strengths while others have AoEs). You can find the proposal rules here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=159348
Categories and their effects are explained in the second post of that thread.

Also, remember that not everyone's nation's population is all or even in part human, and that things that are big problems in Real Life, might not be big problems in NationStates.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:35 am

Category and strength? And anyone can claim citizenship of any nation they choose? I'm not quite understanding this. I also note that there is a resolution already on Reducing Statelessness.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:23 pm

The right to claim citizenship of a nation,

Pretty sure this would contravene the immigration laws and policies of, well, every nation ever.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Return to General Assembly