NATION

PASSWORD

1850: Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC-OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Axis Asteroid
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Asteroid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:37 pm

The Traansval wrote:I mean, it is kind of odd seeing Vandal Carthage with a navy to match that of Europeans...

Not really, considering the Vandals have a naval tradition that predates every nation in continental Europe save for the Romans.

While the Goths, the Franks, Lombards, and most other barbarian hordes during the Migration Period were usually defined by the strength of their land forces and infantry, it was the opposite for the Vandals.

They sacked Rome in 455 not through a land invasion, but by sailing from North Africa. They defeated a Roman expedition of over a hundred thousand men not by pitched battle on land, but by sea, sinking the invasion force before they even landed.

After the sack of Rome in fact, the following thirty years within the Mediterranean were defined by Vandal piracy to such a degree that they left their mark on the very waters itself through Old English and other Germanic languages which called the Mediterranean not by the name of "Mare Nostrum", but as the "Wendelsæ", literally meaning "Sea of Vandals", such was the intensity and frequency of the raids that it would leave a scar in the minds of the other Germanic tribes.

The Vandals plagued European waters and coasts long before the Vikings invented their long ships. By 1850, the Vandals literally have over a thousand years in naval tradition and ship building.

All of which is mentioned both in discussions from the previous forum and my app. Add that to the naval tradition associated with the Phoenicians of Carthage, compounded with the piracy of the Barbary corsairs during the Barbary Slave Trade, then the fact the Vandals have a navy that matches, if not surpasses those of European powers is not too strange at all.

EDIT: If we wanted to be historically accurate, then Ryo's Anglo-Norse (before they got deleted) and even the Franks would refer to the Mediterranean the way their Germanic ancestors did as the "Sea of Vandals."
Last edited by Axis Asteroid on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
National Factbook: History, Economy, Military etc.
(Significantly inspired by Zeon from Gundam.)

Sveya
Attaché

Founded: Dec 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sveya » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:50 pm

The Traansval wrote:
Sveya wrote:

I'm open to meeting you have Gabons, but you the Land of the modern day DRC and Republic of the Congo I really want...

I'm willing to negotiate on and divvy up the DRC, but the ROC I also really want.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Sveya wrote:
The Traansval wrote:I'm open to meeting you have Gabons, but you the Land of the modern day DRC and Republic of the Congo I really want...

I'm willing to negotiate on and divvy up the DRC, but the ROC I also really want.

Yeah, but if I let you I have the ROC then my acces to the Congo will be limited to a single province. How about you let me have the ROC and DRC, and I'll stay out of West Africa and not expand into South America?

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Axis Asteroid wrote:
The Traansval wrote:I mean, it is kind of odd seeing Vandal Carthage with a navy to match that of Europeans...

Not really, considering the Vandals have a naval tradition that predates every nation in continental Europe save for the Romans.

While the Goths, the Franks, Lombards, and most other barbarian hordes during the Migration Period usually defined by the strength of their land forces and infantry, it was the opposite for the Vandals.

They sacked Rome in 455 not through a land invasion, but by sailing from North Africa. They defeated a Roman expedition of over a hundred thousand men not by pitched battle on land, but by sea, sinking the invasion force before they even landed.

After the sack of Rome in fact, the following thirty years within the Mediterranean were defined by Vandal piracy to such a degree that they left their mark on the very waters itself through Old English and other Germanic languages which called the Mediterranean not by the name of "Mare Nostrum", but as the "Wendelsæ", literally meaning "Sea of Vandals", such was the intensity and frequency of the raids that it would leave a scar in the minds of the other Germanic tribes.

The Vandals plagued European waters and coasts long before the Vikings invented their long ships. By 1850, the Vandals literally have over a thousand years in naval tradition and ship building.

All of which is mentioned both in discussions from the previous forum and my app. Add that to the naval tradition associated with the Phoenicians of Carthage, compounded with the piracy of the Barbary corsairs during the Barbary Slave Trade, then the fact the Vandals have a navy that matches, if not surpasses those of European powers is not too strange at all.

EDIT: If we wanted to be historically accurate, then Ryo's Anglo-Norse (before they got delted) and even the Franks would refer to the Mediterranean the way their Germanic ancestors did as the "Sea of Vandals."

Greatness breeds security and security breeds laziness.

The Vandals maintaining their naval traditions and might for over a thousand years seems unlikely to me. I'm not saying you should be like some Barbary state, I think you should be a majority naval power on the Mediterranean, but the idea that the Vandals could keep up naval standards to the point that they could challenge the French or British navies for so long through so many rulers seems implausible to me. It seems like, to me, a nation like the Vandals should be a nation in a downturn, coasting off of the glory days that had passed hundreds of years ago, like Rome or even me for that matter. Having a Vandal nation that is as equivocally powerfully to the Vandals of the dark ages seems to be a bit of a stretch. No Empire can maintain its power equally over a thousand year reign.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Reservation

Nation Name: The High Kingdom of Bretaeland
Territory: England/Wales/Scotland. As well, the six provinces in South Africa between the orange and the blue, the provincial enclave on the South-Eastern portion of the Indian subcontinent, as well as the South-Westernmost three provinces on the same. The Brazilian province of Rio Grande do Sul, and finally, what is now Djibouti and the province of Aden, in Yemen.
#AltDiv (do not delete this, it's for keeping track of the apps)
*Note: Reservations will last for 48 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting reservations.
Last edited by Transoxthraxia on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Axis Asteroid
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Asteroid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:27 pm

The Traansval wrote:

The Vandals maintaining their naval traditions and might for over a thousand years seems unlikely to me. I'm not saying you should be like some Barbary state, I think you should be a majority naval power on the Mediterranean, but the idea that the Vandals could keep up naval standards to the point that they could challenge the French or British navies for so long through so many rulers seems implausible to me. It seems like, to me, a nation like the Vandals should be a nation in a downturn, coasting off of the glory days that had passed hundreds of years ago, like Rome or even me for that matter. Having a Vandal nation that is as equivocally powerfully to the Vandals of the dark ages seems to be a bit of a stretch. No Empire can maintain its power equally over a thousand year reign.

There was never such security for long.

The Vandals have been with the Romans over the Mediterranean throughout the centuries. Trace has based the current rivalry over previous repeated failures of the Romans to wrest the Western Mediterranean from Vandal hands. Frequent war, especially against a foe with Greek fire has hardened the Vandals over time, not softened them.

Nothing was constant over the course of a thousand years though. There were naturally periods of ups and downs. For the sake of not redundantly repeating information, I’ll point you to my app because all the relevant information is there.

Also, don’t discount the Barbary Pirates. At their height, so intense and frequent were the attacks of the corsairs that even the powerful navies of England, France, Spain and the surrounding countries failed to suppress them prior to the Barbary Wars. In fact, the US at one point even pay tribute to secure the safe passage of American merchant vessels.

Historically, Barbary slave raids affected the “seaside towns of Italy, Spain, France, England, the Netherlands and as far away as Iceland, capturing men, women and children.”

Even the Barbary Prates themselves were nothing to scoff at.

Everything behind the Vandals in the reboot is backed by historical precedent. Yes, even the Amazons.
Last edited by Axis Asteroid on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
National Factbook: History, Economy, Military etc.
(Significantly inspired by Zeon from Gundam.)

Sveya
Attaché

Founded: Dec 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sveya » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Transoxthraxia wrote:
Reservation

Territory: England/Wales/Scotland. As well, the six provinces in South Africa between the orange and the blue, the provincial enclave on the South-Eastern portion of the Indian subcontinent, as well as the South-Westernmost three provinces on the same. The Brazilian province of Rio Grande do Sul, and finally, what is now Djibouti and the province of Aden, in Yemen.
*Note: Reservations will last for 48 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting reservations.

Yuss! A Britain! And a High-Kingdom ... I'm getting some Celtic vibes from that. :D

The Traansval wrote:
Sveya wrote:

Yeah, but if I let you I have the ROC then my acces to the Congo will be limited to a single province. How about you let me have the ROC and DRC, and I'll stay out of West Africa and not expand into South America?

How does this divvy look to you? There's plenty of coastline there for access. Plus, the Aztecs and Inca will check your expansion in South America before it becomes a major issue for me.
Last edited by Sveya on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Transoxthraxia wrote:
Reservation

Oh no you don't. You are not taking upper South Africa, that's like the richest part! This means war...

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Full Nation Name : The High Kingdom of Bretaeland.
Majority/Official Culture : The official and promoted culture is that of the Anglo-Norse, a culture that fuses the language, society, and legacies of both the Anglo-Saxons and the Norse Vikings. There are large minorities of what could theoretically be recognized as English people however, mostly subsisting in South and North-West England.
Territorial Core : The Isles.
Territorial Claim : Bretaeland would probably see Dublin, and to a lesser extent Ireland as a whole as a place that should be within the Anglo-Norse sphere of influence. They are also interested in extending their colonial empire anywhere and everywhere, as the Bretaethjod's massive economic revolution over the past few decades has reached never before seen heights. They are generally relatively disinterested in happenings on the continent, however, and are content to see their goods flood markets across Europe.
Capital City : Jorvik, in the Konung-Province of the same name. Its location would be exactly where York, in the United Kingdom, would be today. It was the ancestral capital of the original Anglo-Norse forces in Britain as well, being the epicenter of Anglo-Norse culture and economic life.
Population :

Government Type : Bretaeland operates under a semi-constitutional monarchy, which operates similarly to the way to many pre-1848 semi-liberal political states operated. Most of the population can vote, though women and those who are uneducated cannot. The lower house is elected while the upper house is partially hereditary (in the Subkingdom Provinces) and partially appointed (in the Konung-Provinces). The lower house has more members but less power than the upper house, which is subject ultimately to a veto power that is reserved for the ruling monarch. The monarchy's succession is primogeniturial, though both men and women can inherit. While men retain preference, if there are no sons, the eldest daughter inherits.
Government Ideology/Policies : The government prioritizes the development of one of the most powerful (and few in number) industrialized economies in the world, and seeks to defend and extend its growth, profits, and markets, preferentially through imperialism and colonialism, to which the dual narrative of bringing civilization and religion to heathen savages and extending colonial markets for domestic products.
Government Focus : The government's focus is primarily two-fold. The monarchy has traditionally been extremely pious Catholic rulers, with three kings and a single queen having been sanctified in the past, and the current ailing monarch, a candidate for sainthood as well. The monarchy is primarily interested in illuminating their burgeoning population on the joys and freedoms associated with a pious and religious life in a European social atmosphere that is not necessarily conducive to religious practices. The government itself, however, is more interested in the expansion of the Bretaethjod economy through access to new markets, those that are not necessarily in Europe itself, where the loss of Bretaethjod monopoly on the industrial revolution means that increasing competition is threatening profits like never before.
Head of State : Æsterkonung Niclas II Ivarsson "the Saint" of Hvitserkr
Head of Government : Lawspeaker Valdemar Osmondsson.
Government Description : See above.

Majority/State Religion : Catholicism.
Religious Description : For those unfamiliar.

Economic Ideologies : Identical to British economic practices during the early and mid-Victorian era when Britain was at its height. Capitalism with small remnants of mercantilism still persistant in some regards.
Major Production : Textiles, first and foremost, primarily cotton. Steam engines and other technologically complex, steam-driven devices. They also produce iron items, both wrought and cast; the introduction of coke instead of coal or wood to heat furnaces meant that the iron industry in Bretaeland was transformed into an economy of scale. Machine tools were also invented and exported widely towards Europe and beyond.
Economic Description : The economy is the heart of the Bretaethjod state. Bretaeland was the first nation to enter the industrial revolution, and took full advantage of the new technologies and economic expansion to transform the relatively isolated kingdom into a major world power. The economy is highly urbanized, with factories beginning to dominate urban centers such as Lundenwic, Jorvik, and Menceaster. A declining, but still present agrarian and cottage industry exists, but it is increasingly disrupted by the exponentially more productive industrial sectors, and every year fewer and fewer independent farms exist. The economy is fairly open and conducive to trade. Smuggling, while cracked down upon, is relatively rare due to the lack of tariffs and other economic controls on exports and imports.

Tech Group : European.

Army Description : [[Describe your nation's army in as much detail as you can]]
Army Weakness :
Naval Description : [[Describe your nation's navy in as much detail as you can]]
Naval Weakness :
Further Military Description : [[OPTIONAL]]

National Goals :
National Issues : [[what needs to be fixed in order for your nation to achieve its true potential]]
National Figures of Interest : [[OPTIONAL]] [[Are there any Mother Teresas or Moses that we need to know about?]]
National Ambition/Aspirations : [[OPTIONAL]] [[Not really a set objective, but rather the big picture that your nation is drawing towards]]
Rival:
  • Kingdom of the Eight United Netherlands - Probably driven more by pragmatic trade rivalries and competition for access to foreign markets than any objective or tangible political/territorial ambitions.
  • Kingdom of Ireland - Sees as within Bretaeland's sphere of influence, and their continual "rebellious" attitude towards this belief fuels the political rivalry.
  • Kingdom of the Vandals - Threat to Bretaeland's profits and the general stability of politics and trade throughout the Mediterranean and Atlantic.
History : [[Can be in paragraph or bulletpoint timeline.]]
RP Sample: [[Either a link to a past post, or an example written right here.]]

Will finish later tonight, apologies.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?

The Brand New Salvatagard Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Brand New Salvatagard Republic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:07 pm

WIP

Full Nation Name : The Empire of Germania
Majority/Official Culture : German
Territorial Core : Germany, Bohemia, Austria, rest of Poland
Territorial Claim : East Prussia, West Prussia, Pomerania, Slovenia, Alsace-Lorraine, the Rhineland, Westphalia, and Venito/Province of Venice
Capital City : Berlin
Population : 30.1 million

Government Type : An Absolute Monarchy
Government Ideology/Policies : Militant/Expansionist (like a really early version of fascism), getting rid of the Bohemians Poles and Franks so that German can repopulate thier lands
Government Focus : Military
Head of State : Kaiser Wilhelm-Augustus IX
Head of Government : Kaiser Wilhelm-Augustus IX
Government Description :The Government is soley led by the Kaiser. The Volksversammlung (People's Assembly), which has 10 members, advises the Kaiser, unless the Kaiser executes a member because he feels that the member has committed so-called treason. The Kaiser can dissolve the Assembly at anytime, replace Assembly members (even if they just got in Office) at anytime, declare War at anytime, and appoint family members as judges of the Volksgericht (People's Court) at any time. There's 3 Judges in the Volksgericht. The Kaiser basically appoints his closest friends and family members as Assembly members.

Majority/State Religion : Protestantism
Religious Description :

Economic Ideologies : Totaltarianism
Major Production : firearms, agricultural tools, agricultural products, raw iron
Economic Description : Germania's economic powerhouse, the Rhineland, is the heart of Germanian industry. It holds most of Germania's iron production, making it have Germania's biggest metal works. But, most of Germania is still agricultural, primarily in Hesse. Since the creation of the Empire, the GDP of Germania has grown from 13.1 billion in 1840 to 15.7 billion, which is kinda impressive, considering the People's Revolution of 1840. The Germanian economy is primarily focused on industry, on Armaments.

Tech Group : European

Army Description :
The Volksarmee (People's Army) was first created in 1, 1 year before the Republic was formed. It was basically a small militia of Prussia. In 1840, the leader of the German Confederal Frankfurt Parliament saw that Germany was on the verge of collapse, especially when King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia died in early June of that year. He declared that he sees a dark future if Austria rules all of Germany, or, if Germany collapses, making it easier for neighbors to conquer German lands, especially the Franks and Poland. Most Parliament members were in shock by the speech. The next day, the leader of the Frankfurt Parliament decided that it was time for Germany to officially unify as an actual country. He spoke about a more unified Germany. He said that 'our lands and countrymen will prosper, with every generation there-after.'. He then declared, as it known as, the Formal Act of Unification, which every Parliament member must vote yes or no for an actual Unified Germany. The voting process took nearly a week. Out of 583 members of Parliament, 419 voted for "yes". The Austrians thought that this was an act of War by the members who voted "yes". The German Confederation collapsed into 2 nations, the German Republic (led by Prussia), and the Empire of the Germans (led by Austria). The German Republic, controlling most of Northern Germany, with the exception of Hanover, quickly got men into it's Arms, 38,000 in the first week. The President, King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia, called it the Volksarmee, after the last unit created by the late Friedrich Wilhelm III. In the Empire, it was having trouble getting men, especially in Austria. But it had one major advantage over the Republic, the Kingdom of Hanover was in the Empire. The Kaiserliche Armee (The Imperial Army) only got 20,000 in the first month. On September 19, 1840, the Volksarmee and the Kaiserliche Armee had it's first stand off, in the city of Stade, near the Hanoverian-Prussian border. The Volksarmee were confindent, with strong morale, with 42,000 soldiers, opposing 34,000 poorly-prepared soldiers of the Kaiserliche Armee. The battle, a week long, was won by the Volksarmee, only suffering 6,000 casualties, with the Kaiserliche Armee suffering 11,000 casualties. The War went on until early 1842 when the Empire surrendered after the 3rd Siege of Vienna. The War costed over 200,00 casualties, with the old Kaiserliche Armee getting over 109,000 casualties. Towns and cities were devastated from the War. President Friedrich decided to release most of the Volksarmee for civil services, basically rebuilding cities. Within 1.5 years, the Republic was done rebuilding itself from the War.

The Volksarmee is basically the sole protector of the German Empire. It has 800,000 units, along with 300,000 reserves. Each man is equipped with the 1835 Neue Korps-Jägerbüchse, a saber, 300 rounds of ammo, a canteen, 2 days worth of food, and a shovel. The Infantry Uniform is Navy Blue, with Gold stripes going horizontal on the back. 10 Brass buttons lined up the chest of the Uniform, each having to be polished. The Cavalry Uniform is Light Blue with Black Stripes going vertical on the sides, with 8 Brass buttons lined up the chest for the Uniform. The Hat for the entire Military is the Pickelhaube. The Volkskavallerie (People's Cavalry) is made up of former Aristocrats, mainly from Prussia. The Cavalry has 40,000 active units and 60,000 reserves. Each man is equipped with the British New Land Pattern Cavalry Pistol ( Napoleonic Wars), a 1811 Kavalleriebüchse, a saber, 200 rounds of ammo, a canteen, and a days worth of food. Every man in the Volksarmee has had at least 5 years in the military, with extremely heavy drilling. Every man in the Volkskavallerie has had at least 5 years experience with horses. Basically, the military is drilled alot so that nothing can fail, and that the units can do it alone during the night.

Army Weakness : Can't travel as quick as other nation's units and get tired easily due to heavy drilling, too confident, outdated weaponry

Naval Description : The Volksmarine (People's Navy) is primarily based in the North Sea and the Baltic Sea, keeping a close eye on it's enemies, the Teutonics and the Franks. The Navy has 80 ships, with 68 of them being made of wood. The 12 ships, made of metal, are small Ironclad prototypes, inspired by Britain's gunboat, the Nemesis. The Navy has 34,440 regular sailors and 65,560 reserve sailors. After the Republic was done rebuilding itself from the People's Revolution, it tried out getting some Colonies in Brazil and India, but failed, proving the Volksmarine to be not as strong as the navy of the Dutch and the Iberian Navy. Since the failed attempt at getting Colonies, the Navy has gotten stronger, training more sailors, building more ships, and attempting to build a U-Boat prototype (which failed countless times).

Naval Weakness : Ships not reliable for combat, not disciplined as well, little courage

Further Military Description : The Volksarmee is organized by amount of manpower in each group. The groups: Squads, Companies, Regiments, Battalions, Divisions, Armies, Grand Armies.
Squads have 15 men
Companies have 5-7 squads (75-105 men)
Regiments have 3 Companies (225-315 men)
Battalions have 10-14 Regiments (2,250-3,150 men)
Divisions have 4-6 Battalions (9,000-18,900 men)
Armies have 2-4 Divisions (18,000-75,600 men)
Grand Armies have 2-3 Armies (36,000-226,800)
The Strongest Grand Army is the Presidential Guards, at a massive 226,800 strong. It's the most Elite of the Grand Armies, but it's rarely used. Thus, making the Presidential Guards weaker then usual. Because of it's weakness, soldiers from regular Grand Armies are switched with a soldier of the Presidential Guard, wasting valuable coal and wood (on trains) from transporting the soldiers. Most Grand Armies have 72,000-108,000 soldiers. There's actually 10 Grand Armies in the Volksarmee. The Volksmarine is fairly similar.
Squads have 10 men
Companies have 8-9 squads (80-90 men)
Platoons have 4-5 companies (320-450 men)

The German Republic actually 2 Militaries. We were just talking about the first one, which is controlled by the Volksversammlung. The second military is the Präsidentenarmee (Presidential Army). This military has 10,000 soldiers and 30,000 reserves, and is controlled by the President himself.

Both Militaries combined has 1,340,000 men in its Arms.

National Goals : Reunite all Historical German lands under one banner
National Issues : Former grumbling Austrian leaders have formed Secession groups in the Republic, primarily focusing on Southern Germany and Austria. The Government has some corruption, making 11% of the population (5.8 million) restless with the Government. The Bohemians getting tired of high taxes (on Non-Germans).
National Figures of Interest : King Augustus IV, Geril (Ancient Chieftain) King Augustus I the Great
National Ambition/Aspirations : Have the best Military in Europe, retry at having colonies, make Poland and the Teutonic Order bow down to the Germanian Empire, conquer former German lands
Rival: the Teutonic Order, Poland

History :
The first peoples who came into the land of what is in the Empire of Germania were the Legendary (according to Germanian paganism) Schalukel, a hominid race from the Sky, around 11,000 years ago. According to Germanian paganism, the Schalukel were the creators of all nations. They were said to have had long dirty blonde hair with piercing white eyes, tall and lean, with the leader of the Schalukel having large wings coming out of his back. They eventually started colonizing Germania until thier society vanished from the history books around 7,000 years ago. The people's of Germania now felt lost without the Schalukel leading them, and soon fell into dissaray and anarchy. Several thousand years later, Germania came back into the history books when (according to actual history) the Romans and some tribes of Germanians went into battle with one another. After the Romans left the area, the Germanians acquired a new technology from Roman prisoners, writing. In 302 AD, a Chieftain of a powerful tribe in North-Western Austria went to War with another powerful tribe in Southern Bavaria. The Chieftain, after winning several battles, had a dream. In the dream, his wrote that "In my vision from my time away from my world, I saw a Great Black Eagle fly above me from the treetops. The Eagle flew down to the ground, after circling me several times. It looked like that the Sun was burning brightly thru his eyes, giving fear to me. He gave me an arrow, dripping with blood. He said to me to touched the point of the arrow. I felt suspicious of the Eagle. As I was examining the arrow, a White Horse and a Warrior with shinning skin came riding up the hill. The Eagle made out a cry, and flew up from the ground. The horse came to a stop, and the warrior came off the horse. I was stunned by his skin. He walked over to me, and came onto his knees, pleading for his life. I backed up, and fell down a pit with water in it. I woke up immediately, hearing the sound of warriors yelling.". After the dream, he was killed in battle, being replaced by his only son. His son, known to history as Geril, would later win the War. After the War, Geril was described by his mother as a schmuck since he married the defeated Chieftain's daughter. Geril would later have a son, called Chaille, in 317 AD. Before Geril's mother died in 323 AD, she told her son's his father's dream. He was shocked by it, and executed his new wife, who was pregnant with his first son. A year later, after winning a War with weak tribe, Geril got himself another wife, who was the defeated Chieftain daughter again. Centuries later, Geril's father's dream would be a legend for Geril's descendants. One of those descendants just happened to be Augustus the Great (710 AD-798 AD), a Chieftain of the largest tribe in Bavaria. His tribe would span from modern day Munich to modern day Würzburg, from modern day Bayreuth to Dachau. Augustus is known in history as the Father of Germania. Augustus became Chieftain in 719 AD, when his father died from a hunting accident. Augustus' largest rival was Joef, whose tribe was the largest in Austria. Joef and Augustus went to War several times (727, 731, 740, 745, 763), losing most of thier armies, until Augustus won the last War, annexing Joef's tribal territory. Augustus' realm now reached over to modern day Vienna. Augustus proclaimed the Kingdom of Schäfür in 776. He would later recount having trouble trying to govern his Kingdom because he didn't have a National Capital. His grandson, King Augustus II (764-819), would later found the capital of Saint Augustine (Munich) in 812 AD. King Augustus I's long reign would serve an example of what a Royal reign should be like to future Monarchs. King Augustus II's father would've became King if he hadn't died from today's Malaria in 782 at the age of 47. King Augustus II had no trouble getting destroyed tribes into his Kingdom until his Kingdom was touching the borders of the Frankish Empire. By the time his Kingdom absorbed most of the Rhineland, Augustus II died from Old Age. Augustus II's eldest son, Karl I the Mad (788-822), became King, and he soon made the Kingdom's government corrupt by not fulfilling promises he made by several dozen peasants. Karl was assassinated in his sleep by his youngest brother, Johann (794-828), in 822, starting the Great Succession Crisis (822-828). Schäfür was in a Civil War, with 2 sides. Karl's eldest son, Friedrich, and his supporters at one side. And Karl's youngest brother, Johann (794-828), and his supporters on the other side. The War lasted for 6 years, and costed 13,000 deaths. Schäfür never fully recovered from the War. Friedrich, after the War, decided to strengthen his military, by drafting 20,000 more men into his military of 60,000. He also made some more effort into the Great Conquest of the Rhineland (789-871). By the end of King Friedrich's reign, the Kingdom of Schäfür reached the settlement of Berlin. King Wilhelm I, Friedrich's eldest son, soon declared Schäfür to be an Empire. Once the Empire reached the coast of the Baltic Sea in 876, Wilhelm looked to the East, hearing of tales of Vast lands filled with Riches and Precious Resources. He soon had a problem on his hands, and Invasion from the West. (I didn't see the Franks having a history) The Frankish Empire started invading Schäfür in 879 with 40,000 men, compared to the Schäfür military of 51,000. Wilhelm believed that he was going to win this War with the Franks. By the end of the first battle (The Battle of the Ardennes Forest), it was clear that the Franks were going to win. The Franks lost 4,000 men while Schäfürians lost 9,000 men in the first battle. Battle after battle, the Franks won, while the Schäfürians not winning one. Once the Franks reached the Walls of Saint Augustine, Wilhelm was preparing himself to surrender. The Siege of Saint Augustine started in late 881, with 37,000 Franks and 39,000 Schäfürians. The Franks fought hard, making several holes in Walls and breaching the Imperial Castle Gates. By the time the Franks made it inside the Castle, they realized that no one was inside. Wilhelm ordered the doors and windows locked from the inside, and 4,000 Archers casting lit arrows into the Castle Walls. Most of the Castle was built of wood anyways. By the time of the end of the Siege of Saint Augustine, 29,000 Franks had died, compared to 6,000 Schäfürians. The remaining Frankish soldiers retreated back towards the Rhine, while the Schäfürians continued persuiting them. By the time the Franks reached the Rhine, they started to rest on the bottom of a hill. While they were resting, the Schäfürians completely threw them off guard by charging down the hill. Out of 7,000 Franks, 5,000 were lost. The Frankish Emperor surrendered to Wilhelm in early 882, giving him Alsace-Lorraine (and Luxembourg. If this conflicts with the Dutch history, I'll remove it.). After the War, he went back to the Conquest of the East. By the end of the 800's, Schäfür controlled most of modern day Poland, Pomerania, and Prussia. In 911, rebellions soon sprung up in the Eastern territories, creating tension in Wilhelm's government. The rebels outnumbered the Schäfürians 10 to 1 in the area. Basically, 440,000 to 44,000.

The Kingdom of Schäfür (776-868)
King Augustus I the Great (710-798)
King Augustus II the Red (764-819)
King Karl I the Mad (788-822)
King Friedrich I the Beloved (809-865)
King Wilhelm I the Soldier-King (843-926)

The Empire of Schäfür (868-1131)
Kaiser Wilhelm I the Confident (843-926)
Kaiser Friedrich II the Terrible (875-948)
Kaiser Augustus III (904-985)
Kaiser Rudolf I (962-1024)
Kaiser Augustus IV the Good (968-1027)
Kaiser Franz I the Soldier-King (1001-1087)
Kaiser Franz II the Lazy (1073-1090)
Kaiser Karl II (1077-1131)

The 1st Republic of Germania (1131-1133)
President Karl Zollern (1094-1148)

The 1st Empire of Germania (1133-1648)
Kaiser Josef I (1102-1153)
Kaiser Rudolf II (1126-1168)
Kaiser Rudolf III (1165-1201)
Kaiser Heinrich I (1187-1249)
Kaiser Wilhelm II (1213-1274)
Kaiser Josef II (1237-1294)
Kaiser Leopold I (1259-1327)

The 2nd Republic of Germania (1648-1661)

The 2nd Empire of Germania (1661-1806)

The Germanian Confederation (1806-1807)

The 3rd Empire of Germania (1807-)

RP Sample:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=426159&p=32740546#p32740546

Last edited by The Brand New Salvatagard Republic on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:25 am, edited 15 times in total.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm

The Brand New Salvatagard Republic wrote:WIP

I'm not apart of the OP board, nor is this a critique or review of your app. But please, for the love of god, delete the [Bracketed] parts.

Also, post up.
Last edited by The Traansval on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Brand New Salvatagard Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Brand New Salvatagard Republic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 pm

The Traansval wrote:
The Brand New Salvatagard Republic wrote:WIP

I'm not apart of the OP board, nor is this a critique or review of your app. But please, for the love of god, delete the [Bracketed] parts.

Also, post up.

Alright, I will. And you seem familiar from an earlier rp.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Inb4 glorious RN sends shoddy germanic heretic boats to the bottom of the mediterranean for interfering with our trade

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Sveya wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:
Reservation

Yuss! A Britain! And a High-Kingdom ... I'm getting some Celtic vibes from that. :D

The Traansval wrote:Yeah, but if I let you I have the ROC then my acces to the Congo will be limited to a single province. How about you let me have the ROC and DRC, and I'll stay out of West Africa and not expand into South America?

How does this divvy look to you? There's plenty of coastline there for access. Plus, the Aztecs and Inca will check your expansion in South America before it becomes a major issue for me.

Give me the province around Pointe-Noire and northern DRC and I'll consider it satisfied. Also, Might the remind you that we have a common enemy in Britannia...

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 pm

The Brand New Salvatagard Republic wrote:
The Traansval wrote:I'm not apart of the OP board, nor is this a critique or review of your app. But please, for the love of god, delete the [Bracketed] parts.

Also, post up.

Alright, I will. And you seem familiar from an earlier rp.

1810 Age of Imperialism. Although I'm not sure if you were in the one I was OP of or the reboot...

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Axis Asteroid wrote:While the Goths, the Franks, Lombards, and most other barbarian hordes during the Migration Period were usually defined by the strength of their land forces and infantry, it was the opposite for the Vandals.

Guess which other major culture group was defined by their strength on the sea during the medieval era? Raiding intensifies.

That was almost a thousand years ago, though. Whatever traditions Scandinavia may have gained from those seagoing days, it's been lost centuries ago.

Scandinavia does hold a navy that trumps all but the strongest seagoing powers, crippled merely by our inability to focus it in any one region, but that powerful navy is a direct result of our necessity of maintaining and defending our extensive overseas colonies, dating back to maybe 1600. It's not a remnant of Scandinavia's long-forgotten viking days, because Scandinavia's long-forgotten viking days didn't leave any remnants except in Scandinavian culture.

Since everyone's preparing to divvy up Africa, here's Scandinavia's ambitions for territorial expansion. Bright blue and sky blue represent current territories.

Cloudy blue represents areas of vital interest; Scandinavia has either publicly claimed this area as theirs, is fighting for this area, negotiating for this area, settling this area, actively trying to undermine the power that possesses this area, or is taking some other concrete action to try and put this area under their control.

Cloudy purple represents areas of circumstantial interest; Scandinavia is not and does not have immediate plans of taking any real action to claim this area as theirs, but would certainly be willing to take advantage of any profound geopolitical or technological changes that make it significantly easier to claim this area.

As you might have noticed, Scandinavia has big ambitions in West Africa, but in Asia and East Africa all it really wants are "more trading ports." Scandinavia has been a nation based on commerce since the 1600s, and that mindset of "ports = money = power" still remains in the mind of Scandinavian leadership.

Protestant Christianity still best Christianity.
Last edited by Plzen on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 am

Plzen wrote:
Axis Asteroid wrote:While the Goths, the Franks, Lombards, and most other barbarian hordes during the Migration Period were usually defined by the strength of their land forces and infantry, it was the opposite for the Vandals.

Guess which other major culture group was defined by their strength on the sea during the medieval era? Raiding intensifies.

That was almost a thousand years ago, though. Whatever traditions Scandinavia may have gained from those seagoing days, it's been lost centuries ago.

Scandinavia does hold a navy that trumps all but the strongest seagoing powers, crippled merely by our inability to focus it in any one region, but that powerful navy is a direct result of our necessity of maintaining and defending our extensive overseas colonies, dating back to maybe 1600. It's not a remnant of Scandinavia's long-forgotten viking days, because Scandinavia's long-forgotten viking days didn't leave any remnants except in Scandinavian culture.

Since everyone's preparing to divvy up Africa, here's Scandinavia's ambitions for territorial expansion. Bright blue and sky blue represent current territories.

Cloudy blue represents areas of vital interest; Scandinavia has either publicly claimed this area as theirs, is fighting for this area, negotiating for this area, settling this area, actively trying to undermine the power that possesses this area, or is taking some other concrete action to try and put this area under their control.

Cloudy purple represents areas of circumstantial interest; Scandinavia is not and does not have immediate plans of taking any real action to claim this area as theirs, but would certainly be willing to take advantage of any profound geopolitical or technological changes that make it significantly easier to claim this area.

As you might have noticed, Scandinavia has big ambitions in West Africa, but in Asia and East Africa all it really wants are "more trading ports." Scandinavia has been a nation based on commerce since the 1600s, and that mindset of "ports = money = power" still remains in the mind of Scandinavian leadership.

Protestant Christianity still best Christianity.

I find no overlap or conflict with my interests. South west Africa is yours my friend and I shall support your claim to it. In return I ask you support my claim to the Congo.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 am

The Traansval wrote:
Axis Asteroid wrote:

While the Goths, the Franks, Lombards, and most other barbarian hordes during the Migration Period usually defined by the strength of their land forces and infantry, it was the opposite for the Vandals.

EDIT: If we wanted to be historically accurate, then Ryo's Anglo-Norse (before they got delted) and even the Franks would refer to the Mediterranean the way their Germanic ancestors did as the "Sea of Vandals."

I don't see why that idea seems implausible. The Vandals begin with a pretty big head start in terms of naval stuff when compared to most of the nations of Europe. Their naval power was extremely important for their survival, against the Romans, against the Arabs, against Europeans, against Romans again. That is in my opinion, the perfect combination of threat and security. The Vandals were indeed the major naval power of the Mediterranean for most of their history, but that doesn't mean that they were ever invincible. Sure, for the time being, no one in the Mediterranean is directly threatening them, but that's because the Romans have decided for the time being not to risk their forces like that. The Nautiko remains however a threat for the Vandal Navy.

Considering that both the Vandals and the Romans are on the same technological level as the Europeans (and that there were periods in history were they were more advanced than the rest of Europe)< it's not like the European nations would have ever been able to take over the technological race. The Romans have managed to maintain the might and prowess of their army for over a thousand years, why wouldn't the Vandals be able to maintain their naval strength, as long as of course, it had its periods of decline and recovery.

And of course, the position of the Vandals is not infallible. They have rivals and enemies on all sides. European powers can rival their power in the Atlantic, and the presence of their pirates in the Indian Ocean is limited. Most of their forces maintain a tight grip over the Western Mediterranean, but the Romans are waiting for the best to attack and to push them back. Axis will really have to play his cards right if he wants the Vandals to survive this,
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Oscalantine
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Oscalantine » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 am

Tracian Empire wrote:I don't see why that idea seems implausible. The Vandals begin with a pretty big head start in terms of naval stuff when compared to most of the nations of Europe. Their naval power was extremely important for their survival, against the Romans, against the Arabs, against Europeans, against Romans again. That is in my opinion, the perfect combination of threat and security. The Vandals were indeed the major naval power of the Mediterranean for most of their history, but that doesn't mean that they were ever invincible. Sure, for the time being, no one in the Mediterranean is directly threatening them, but that's because the Romans have decided for the time being not to risk their forces like that. The Nautiko remains however a threat for the Vandal Navy.

Considering that both the Vandals and the Romans are on the same technological level as the Europeans (and that there were periods in history were they were more advanced than the rest of Europe)< it's not like the European nations would have ever been able to take over the technological race. The Romans have managed to maintain the might and prowess of their army for over a thousand years, why wouldn't the Vandals be able to maintain their naval strength, as long as of course, it had its periods of decline and recovery.

And of course, the position of the Vandals is not infallible. They have rivals and enemies on all sides. European powers can rival their power in the Atlantic, and the presence of their pirates in the Indian Ocean is limited. Most of their forces maintain a tight grip over the Western Mediterranean, but the Romans are waiting for the best to attack and to push them back. Axis will really have to play his cards right if he wants the Vandals to survive this,

I want to take things from a more meta-approach to support vandals and, from a more macro-perspective, non-European nations.

The point of the Alternative Divergence was based upon my own question: what if Europe was not the only region with technological supremacy? As a direct result, there are pockets in this AH world where the technological level is on par, if not GREATER in some aspects, than Europe. Imagine for a second where Korea, whose Turtleship was the first ironclad in the world, managed to keep its traditions and colonized the world. What if China never stagnated, and their city-sized Treasure Fleet still roamed the seas, overwhelming all others with sheer awe of its majesty? Imagine for a second a fully populated New World where Aztec and Inca civilizations are still fully populated, doing their own things to improve upon themselves.

That's really the point of this RP. While this entire discussion wasn't about this, I wanted to address that this RP is incredibly non-Eurocentric. I gave A LOT of care to make sure that Europeans are not left out, but this AH generally favors non-European regions as a major power that cannot be underestimated. I felt that this needed to be addressed... for when the OP Board comes to judge the battles between players in the case of war drawing on for too long, if any Europeans believe for a second that they are technological superior to another Centers of Modernization... they are pretty much screwed.

Heidi Girl of the Alps
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidi Girl of the Alps » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:13 am

Axis Asteroid wrote:
Heidi Girl of the Alps wrote:Even if they tried, there would be a lot of Vandals at the bottom of the ocean because his hubris caused him to forget that Iberia controls gilbratar (rock). The Vandals can certainly leave, butnnot without a significant amount of ships and sailors at the bottom of the straits.

You do realize the entrance to the Mediterranean is eight miles wide right? No field gun or siege artillery has that effective range by 1850.

That's correct. But in the context of the next ten years, naval artillery will make great strides in development. By the end of the decade guns will reliably be able to shoot into the deepest parts of the straights. The Iberian Navy also has the advantage of using the strait as a type of force multiplyer, as it reduces the amount of ships that can reliably engage each other, reducing the Vandal navies potential numerical superiority. If worst comes to worst, the navy can return to the rock at gilbratar and rake any pursuers with a rear action combined with a little help with the rock and its awsome fortifications brisling with guns. The point of such an entaglement would not be to halt the movement, but to harass and cause as much damage as possible to the enemy fleet- which could potentially be significant.

Axis Asteroid wrote:Also, the Vandals control the other half of the Pillars of Heracles that serve as the choke point.

Any point along the straits could reasonably used to plop some guns and be used for area denial, but no other area is at all as defenisble. Dont act as if the strait is yours, there is at least one point in the mediterranean where the Vandals do not reign supreme, and in fact the strait itself should act as more of a "nuclear button". Any action along the straits by either the Iberians or Vandals would basically ignite war. Both sides would be remiss if either side allowed hositlity to occur on the straits.

Axis Asteroid wrote:If I recall, Iberia and Carthage were not at war at the moment, so shooting at any passing Vandal ships would certainly lead to that.

You're right, no one would be naive enough to be hostile to neutral units and grant the enemy a free casus belli, especially in an area where everyone could see it.

I mean, the only thing that would be worse would be sanctioning privateers and criminals to raid neutral ships from a variety of other foreign nations and basically giving every seafearing nation a casus belli against you. I mean, What nation wants to attract such widespread ire?

But then again, who would be naive enough to do such a thing?

Axis Asteroid wrote:Might I remind you in case you missed Trace's post, the discussion around the Vandal navy has been decided before the reboot of this RP even began in the forum of the previous iteration.

I'm well aware that you and the OP's had begun stacking the deck before this iteration had started. Hence the current situation. This factoid is about as relevant the current prices of tupperware in the Czech republic. This concerns the tactical situation of the straits, not our navies as a whole.

Tracian Empire wrote:
Heidi Girl of the Alps wrote:Well, considering the unrealistic level to which the Vandal Navy has decided to dominate throughout the region, it would make sense then for very stiff resistance against them to form.

I can assure you that the strength of the Vandal Navy is perfectly realistic, especially considering the historical basis it was built on. The OP board will of course, be careful over the IC to ensure that all conflicts, whether naval or terrestrial will be as balanced and possible, but we consider that the situation surrounding the Vandals is balanced, if we take into account all the advantages and disadvantages of their position.

While I urge the OP board to review the status of the piracy situation, if that is the stance of the board of OP's then it will simply have to unravel IC'ly. Thank you for at least trying to be impartial.
Axis Asteroid wrote:Don't be so butthurt because I corrected you earlier with your population debacle and your misinterpretation surrounding the pirate situation. The childish way you reacted with the historical revisionism regarding the Huns and the Black Death and right now show that you took that entire thing way too personally.

I made my case as to why I believed my figures were justified. It was rejected. OP's asked for better explanations. I did. OP's gave me a figure. I found it agreeable. There was no malice or il-intent in that situation. OP's are gods. Even if I vehemently disagree with their reasoning and continue to hold the situation absurd, there is no real point in contesting it anymore. If your version of maturity is to see red and finding it acceptable to post with a chip on your shoulder to antagonize those who dont readily bend to your interests- then yes AS, thou art holier than thou. The piracy situation remains unchanged regardless, so consider that a buried hatchet on my part.

Oscalantine
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oscalantine » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:28 am

Heidi Girl of the Alps wrote:I'm well aware that you and the OP's had begun stacking the deck before this iteration had started. Hence the current situation. This factoid is about as relevant the current prices of tupperware in the Czech republic. This concerns the tactical situation of the straits, not our navies as a whole.

Everything else, sure. I don't mind some quarrels over the OOC over whose nation has better supremacy over a region. However, THIS needs to be addressed.

The atmosphere in the OOC currently for ALL European nations has been that of confusion; some might say that the OPs are being unfair and unjust to Europeans' historical strength in this era.

I can put this confusion to rest once and for all without a shadow of a doubt: the OPs are INTENTIONALLY making everything fair. The founding of AltDiv itself was based on a question of "what if the world had more even playing field?" Originally, the world had two splits: Asian nations where Song Dynasty never stagnated and caused continued technological advancements, and European world which developed normally. At some period, Native American civilizations also joined in with the massive what if of "what if Old World disease never killed them off?" The point of the entire RP that this thread sponsors is to PURPOSEFULLY make the world non-Eurocentric.

In that sense, you are only half-correct: the OPs seems to be balancing the scales (which, in the eyes of European nations, would mean that the OPs are being unfair to European nations) not because we are coordinating with individual RPers but we are CREATING A SYSTEM where Europeans are on equal footing as everyone else. Everyone else is raised to the equal footing as Europeans. That's the point of this RP. Reading through the rules of Main OP especially on the areas where we don't call it "Westernization" but "becoming a member of Centers of Modernization" should be enough to point this out. If not, this is where I will dig my own trench: as the founder of this RP, the entire basis of AH scenarios were geared so that even non-Europeans can have fun. Period, done, end of discussion.

Europeans' historical strength in the area stays as is. But you HAVE to now accept that North African, Asian, and Native American strengths have grown to MATCH that of European dominance. This is AHRP in the P2TM, not intended to be 1000% historically accurate.

Heidi Girl of the Alps wrote:While I urge the OP board to review the status of the piracy situation, if that is the stance of the board of OP's then it will simply have to unravel IC'ly. Thank you for at least trying to be impartial.

Status on the piracy situation is that which should be solved ICly, not pushed into it by the OPs. What did Spain do against England over English-sponsored piracy? Send out its Armada to deal with it. England sent out its own navy in defense. Why is THIS case any different? Why should the OPs review anything that should be taken care of by the IC by the players which makes sense for ANY OTHER CASE except this, according to your logic?

You said it yourself here:

Heidi Girl of the Alps wrote:You're right, no one would be naive enough to be hostile to neutral units and grant the enemy a free casus belli, especially in an area where everyone could see it.

I mean, the only thing that would be worse would be sanctioning privateers and criminals to raid neutral ships from a variety of other foreign nations and basically giving every seafearing nation a casus belli against you. I mean, What nation wants to attract such widespread ire?

But then again, who would be naive enough to do such a thing?

Call their foul ICly, make a coalition of all the nations suffering from the issue, have nations that despise Vandals involved, and make a war out of the whole thing. Dogpile on Carthage until it is no longer a city, draft a treaty where Vandals must NEVER align themselves with, sanction, or create pirates ever again. End of story. Everyone leaves happy. I don't understand why this needs jurisdiction of OPs for review. I don't understand why Vandals' app and existence itself is being called into question over this. I don't understand why technology, WHICH SHOULD BE EQUAL BETWEEN TWO MEMBERS OF EUROPEAN CENTER OF MODERNIZATION, must be weighed in as "quality over quantity" issue.
Last edited by Oscalantine on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 am

I honestly do not think that giving everyone a relatively similar techlevel is in any way fair.

At 1850 Europe had 260 million people IRL, give or take, and this is including all of Russian Siberia as "Europe." At this time period this is roughly 1/5 of the world population (and even that mostly came from starting the demographic transition early). Divided into as many different independent states as it is, and geographically small as it is, without the force multipliers of the industrial revolution they would have been but a minor sidenote in a world history dominated by glorious China.

For comparison most estimates of 1850 China agree that China alone at this point in time had at least 350 million people, and possibly as many as 450 millions. Looking at the various applications that have been submitted so far, that fundamental ratio doesn't seem to be changing very much from RL.

This is one of the reasons why I'm obsessing over West Africa and am making alliances in order to hold on to Java. Without a technological advantage over the rest of the world, the only way for Europe to not fade into a sidenote of history is to actively seize territory in Africa and Asia and introduce them into European control via colonialism.

Scandinavia and her colonies together field 29 million people. That is a good start that I fully intend on expanding upon as much as possible.

Oscalantine
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oscalantine » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 am

Plzen wrote:I honestly do not think that giving everyone a relatively similar techlevel is in any way fair.

At 1850 Europe had 260 million people IRL, give or take, and this is including all of Russian Siberia as "Europe." At this time period this is roughly 1/5 of the world population (and even that mostly came from starting the demographic transition early). Divided into as many different independent states as it is, and geographically small as it is, without the force multipliers of the industrial revolution they would have been but a minor sidenote in a world history dominated by glorious China.

For comparison most estimates of 1850 China agree that China alone at this point in time had at least 350 million people, and possibly as many as 450 millions. Looking at the various applications that have been submitted so far, that fundamental ratio doesn't seem to be changing very much from RL.

This is one of the reasons why I'm obsessing over West Africa and am making alliances in order to hold on to Java. Without a technological advantage over the rest of the world, the only way for Europe to not fade into a sidenote of history is to actively seize territory in Africa and Asia and introduce them into European control via colonialism.

Scandinavia and her colonies together field 29 million people. That is a good start that I fully intend on expanding upon as much as possible.

Ple, before you throw number game at me, please go to IC page and look at the house rules for engagement.

Numbers never mattered in my RP, and it will never be used as a justification for anything, especially combat and especially this fairness argument. Technology for me is more less a fluff more than means to an end, but I do recognize its effectiveness and strategic value, so I keep it in the argument. However, ever since I came to NS and started to moderate for regional RPs, unless absolutely pushed for complete numeric calculations of number crunching DnD style, I never cared for numbers, and that is how it will stand to end of the time.

So please, your fears are misplaced. Not even the other OPs could convince me to care for them, and I certainly will not at any other's behest, including yours. Literacy and roleplaying is the only aspect that I will care. The OP board will reflect my concerns, as that has been the ground rule for any engagement since the very first iteration. Even if you are outnumbered 1000 to 1, no, a million to one, give me a reason through writing in how much of a badass your army was and how they are led by a leader so competent that based on his accomplishments he is casesar+napoleon+zhege-liang incarnate according to your prior posts, and how you have spent several posts preparing for this one combat and have armed and supplied your postion to the fine teeth... you will win. I dont care the numbers, I wont hear complaints. Chinese army of a million will loose to your small force if you meet that requirement.

I care naught for realism in numbers. If you wish, and if your wish is reflected my vast majority, then I will change this RP into a DnD style, diceroll and number crunching mechanism that I have implemented in my regional RPs befitting absolute and completely utter realism.
Until then, numbers without any backup, be it population or capabilities.... be it stars on your general's helmet or number of starts aligning... be it number of saints praying on your behalf or the number of OPs desiring you to win for meta-sake or some odd reason... it will not matter. It will NEVER matter. Not as long as I moderate this RP.

... as a addendum to this rant, no, you were not the first to think that exact thing. El, Nova, and now-gone Lenyo has at one point complained the exact same thing as you in lesser or greater degree to make numbers matter. All three I consider their opinion to the utmost degree and they were part of the OPs and Co-OPs when I ran this solo. They argued with me over Discord, over TG, over OOC. Never once have I bent to this one request. You are in good hands, dude. For as long as you make a competent post, you will never lose because someone threw bigger numbers on you. When you lose engagement, it will have a proper reason done in writing. This, I assure you, will be unalienable truth until this RP ends.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:28 am

Okay, a five section post of mine will be coming tonight.

I already made the part for Poland but Spain, Italy, Visby and Hungary are still in the works.

Jeez, I am so busy that I am not even capable of making internal nation RP. Though I suppose that me having to participate in a school musical the entire week does have something to do with that as well.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Okay, a five section post of mine will be coming tonight.

I already made the part for Poland but Spain, Italy, Visby and Hungary are still in the works.

Jeez, I am so busy that I am not even capable of making internal nation RP. Though I suppose that me having to participate in a school musical the entire week does have something to do with that as well.

Don't forget the Romans! I just posted

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse