NATION

PASSWORD

Palm Springs removing racist trees

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Kramania
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Palm Springs removing racist trees

Postby Kramania » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:25 pm

No, really.

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. - Complaints from longtime residents of a historically African-American neighborhood near a Palm Springs golf course have led to the removal of a line of trees they claim were planted for racists reasons in the 1960s, according to The Desert Sun.

At an informal meeting with neighborhood residents Sunday, Dec. 17, Palm Springs Mayor Robert Moon, along with other city officials, promised residents they would remove the trees and a chain-link fence along the Crossley Tract property lines as soon as possible.

In a previous Desert Sun report, residents of the neighborhood said the line of trees "remained a lasting remnant of the history of segregation in the city." Residents also claim the invasive tamarisks, which block views of the golf course and San Jacinto mountains, have depressed property values and prevented black families from accumulating wealth in their property for the past half century. Tamarisk trees, also known by the name "tamarix," range from large, evergreen trees to small, shrubby trees.

Palm Springs City Manager David Ready says the tree removal wouldn't be immediate because it needs full city council approval. Arborists also need to be consulted and the project needs to be put up for bid. Ready estimates that the trees could be down within three months.

The cost to remove the line of trees is estimated to cost the city of Palm Springs $169,000, according to the New York Post.

So, yeah. Apparently a black community thinks a row of trees separating them from a golf course is racist. So instead of being separated by a row of trees they will now instead be separated by a chain-link fence. So, uh, progress? And where are all the environmentalists? Removing trees because "muh feels" should be a bad thing. And in case it wasn't obvious, I think this is stupid and don't support it.

So, thoughts?
Watching my sanity slip away in my dreams

Topoliani
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Topoliani » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:28 pm

This is one of the most stupid things I have ever come across on this site.

Not you OP, the article itself
Topoliani: A Post-Apoc Medieval Nation in the Levant

I don't use NSstats, nor is this nation a representation of my views.
IC Year: 1210 AD.
Undergoing its third retcon. The third time's the charm, right?

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Says their invasive, so I approve this measure.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:31 pm

How long till we can build a base on the moon?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

CGW23
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby CGW23 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Kramania wrote:
promised residents they would remove the trees and a chain-link fence along the Crossley Tract property lines

So instead of being separated by a row of trees they will now instead be separated by a chain-link fence. So, uh, progress?

Not being replaced with anything as far as I can tell.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:35 pm

They're invasive and soak up TONS of water in a drought-ridden state, and if the community wants it, I really don't see the issue, besides people like yourself, OP, who want to manufacture outrage.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Pictured: racist trees

O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Kramania wrote:No, really.

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. - Complaints from longtime residents of a historically African-American neighborhood near a Palm Springs golf course have led to the removal of a line of trees they claim were planted for racists reasons in the 1960s, according to The Desert Sun.

At an informal meeting with neighborhood residents Sunday, Dec. 17, Palm Springs Mayor Robert Moon, along with other city officials, promised residents they would remove the trees and a chain-link fence along the Crossley Tract property lines as soon as possible.

In a previous Desert Sun report, residents of the neighborhood said the line of trees "remained a lasting remnant of the history of segregation in the city." Residents also claim the invasive tamarisks, which block views of the golf course and San Jacinto mountains, have depressed property values and prevented black families from accumulating wealth in their property for the past half century. Tamarisk trees, also known by the name "tamarix," range from large, evergreen trees to small, shrubby trees.

Palm Springs City Manager David Ready says the tree removal wouldn't be immediate because it needs full city council approval. Arborists also need to be consulted and the project needs to be put up for bid. Ready estimates that the trees could be down within three months.

The cost to remove the line of trees is estimated to cost the city of Palm Springs $169,000, according to the New York Post.

So, yeah. Apparently a black community thinks a row of trees separating them from a golf course is racist. So instead of being separated by a row of trees they will now instead be separated by a chain-link fence. So, uh, progress?

Did you not read the article past the headline? The community wants it, the trees are invasive, block views, and depress property values, and it's going to be a pretty piddling amount of money.

And where are all the environmentalists? Removing trees because "muh feels" should be a bad thing.

Yeah, if you're enough of a partisan hack to reduce all environmentalists to literal tree-huggers and assume all trees are created equal. Tamarisks fucking suck.
And in case it wasn't obvious, I think this is stupid and don't support it.
So, thoughts?

My thoughts are that the main reason you care is because it plays into your silly attempts to craft a narrative in which unreasonable alt-left SJW cucks are oppressing the country (especially white people) and destroying their own communities, and not because you actually have even a basic understanding of what's going on or interest in the city of Palm Springs.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Senkaku wrote:They're invasive and soak up TONS of water in a drought-ridden state, and if the community wants it, I really don't see the issue, besides people like yourself, OP, who want to manufacture outrage.

Saying that they are invasive and a environmental threat is a better reason than "they racist!!1!1!1"
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Baltenstein wrote:Pictured: racist trees

"but if we cut them down then we still have a swastika!"
"damn...."

an arborist's catch-22 :p

Skyhooked
Senator

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:40 pm

The primary reason was about property value. Owners just used race card opportunity to help their mercantile needs, but the headlines are just awesome. I imagine, that such topics are a klondike for journalsits.

Just read: "Racist trees". Folk say- Impossible! Outrage! Poppycock! And read this article outta their pure curiosity. And then SJW and right-wingers engage in heated debates, and with number of visits rating jumps up to the top of the Everest. And with such rating, business owners are ready to even sell their souls just to place their advertisment. Journalists and owners of the site literally swim in money like ol' Scrooge.
Last edited by Skyhooked on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Senkaku wrote:They're invasive and soak up TONS of water in a drought-ridden state, and if the community wants it, I really don't see the issue, besides people like yourself, OP, who want to manufacture outrage.

Saying that they are invasive and a environmental threat is a better reason than "they racist!!1!1!1"

I believe that was added on there? I don't see why everyone is fixating on this, there appears to be a considerable list of community concerns, and the city doesn't seem to believe it's unreasonable at all. Again, this seems more just like something for right-wing hacks to manufacture outrage about without taking it in beyond the absolute shallowest level.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:Pictured: racist trees

"but if we cut them down then we still have a swastika!"
"damn...."

Burn down the entire forest.

Problem solved.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Iebrelara
Attaché

Founded: Sep 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Iebrelara » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:46 pm

When there's a tree in your way, you instantly know it's being racist.
//FT:FTL//
//Interplanetary Federation, 14 Planets//
Name: Daniel Tyrannius
Species: Human
Sexuality: Gay

More Here

Join the Tvaranii Galaxy today! We are a Democratic FT Roleplaying region, and we'd be delighted to have you! (FT is the ONLY requirement!)
GalNet News//All is Well today.//

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:47 pm

This is what happens when you let the SJW win.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Skyhooked
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Purpelia wrote:This is what happens when you let the SJW win.

Like I told before, I assume, that SJW have nothing to do with this. That's all about journalists. One lucky headline, and folk flock to the site just to see that.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

Topoliani
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Topoliani » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Skyhooked wrote:The primary reason was about property value. Owners just used race card opportunity to help their mercantile needs, but the headlines are just awesome. I imagine, that such topics are a klondike for journalsits.

Just read: "Racist trees". Folk say- Impossible! Outrage! Poppycock! And read this article outta their pure curiosity. And then SJW and right-wingers engage in heated debates, and with number of visits rating jumps up to the top of the Everest. And with such rating, business owners are ready to even sell their souls just to place their advertisment. Journalists and owners literally swim in money like ol' Scrooge.

This
Topoliani: A Post-Apoc Medieval Nation in the Levant

I don't use NSstats, nor is this nation a representation of my views.
IC Year: 1210 AD.
Undergoing its third retcon. The third time's the charm, right?

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 pm

If they want the trees down, grant the permission and then have the resident pay for it out of pocket if they want the view cleared. Not everyone wants the trees removed.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:50 pm

How the hell can trees be racist? I bet it's leaf shape and/or bark color.

/s
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Skyhooked wrote:

Like I told before, I assume, that SJW have nothing to do with this. That's all about journalists. One lucky headline, and folk flock to the site just to see that.

Yep. Outrage manufacturing is a profitable business and they know plenty of people will bite (@all of us :p )

Skyhooked
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Senkaku wrote:"but if we cut them down then we still have a swastika!"
"damn...."

Burn down the entire forest.

Problem solved.

You've just offended Smokey the Bear. And that's cause he is a bear? Racist. So it's not that easy.
Last edited by Skyhooked on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Refreshing News:

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:53 pm

I heard about this, in a mannerism I am going to say this. The Left or Democrats have always been about, peoples rights, feelings, emotions and etc. While getting rich off of this stuff, and at the same time these identity politics have gone too far. First it was a "Racist" Horse, now it is "Racist" Tree's. What's next? The sky is racist?

I Understand the reasoning for the "Racist" Trees being planted to cut off the golf course from the neighbor hood, however should not the people that planted them should be punished or the city and not the trees? I mean honestly, why remove something that helps the environment of the city. At the same time, when you remove them; You are basically destroying part of the environment, just to remove a few trees. So in the end, either way you flip this coin the Democrats are proving hypocrites.

Or better yet, the Grass is Racist cause all the "good" yards or "White" peoples yards are greener then those in the hood. :rofl:

Just saying, there is a point that you take this too far and honestly this is ridiculous.
Prince Hildehrand, Principality of the Raix;Technocratic Allied States President.
Technocratic Forum
I do not use NS stats, but I do use Policies due to the Nation's Goals.
Conservative Libertarian Total-Isolationist Nationalist Reactionary
Collectivism score: -67%
Authoritarianism score: -50%
Internationalism score: -83%
Tribalism score: 33%
Liberalism score: -67%

Pro: Pro-Life, Limited Government, 2nd Amendment, 1st Amendment.
Con: Pro-Choice, Communism, Anarchism, Totalitarianism.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Skyhooked wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Burn down the entire forest.

Problem solved.

You've just offended Smokey the Bear. And that's cause he is a bear? Racist. So it's not that easy.

Why? Did Smokey Bear plant those trees in the shape of a swastika? :o

;)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Skyhooked wrote:

It has everything to do with the SJW. You don't have to physically instigate something for it to be your fault. You just have to be the one who created the environment within which it can occur. That's why we blame people who shout violent rhetoric for when someone else goes and does something nasty. And it's the same thing here.

Whilst the SJW may not be the ones instigating this particular case they are the ones who have brought pointless manufactured race outrage over trivial things into the spotlight to the point where anything race related has become headline news. And by doing so, by trivializing real race, gender and similar issues and turning them into scandal fodder they have created fertile ground for both greedy people who wish to exploit the system and the sensationalist reporters that feed off them.

They are the ones that s**t out the stinking pile upon which now gorge the flies that spread the plague. So every time something like this happens it is their fault.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Skyhooked
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:56 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Skyhooked wrote:

Why? Did Smokey Bear plant those trees in the shape of a swastika? :o

;)

Cause you know, only you can prevent forest fires.

Refreshing News:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General