NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] A Little Gift from a Friend

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[ACCEPTED] A Little Gift from a Friend

Postby Jutsa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:52 am

So this is an issue idea I decided to make specifically for nations with bad economies.
Ever wonder why you can give foreign aid but never get offered any?
Well, Skandilund's going to help you out - for a price. ;)

Title: A Little Gift from a Friend
The Issue: Skandilund has proposed sending financial aid to help your nation's troubled economy.
Validity: Nation has a very bad economy

Option 1: "I see your nation's been having a bit of financial trouble, @@LEADER@@," notes a representative from Skandilund, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "If you let us, we'd be more than happy to provide some help to your nation by allocating some funds to you for economic growth. Granted, we'd like to be paid back, eventually, but you'll be more than able to once you get your feet off the ground."
[effect]the nation's debt is double its GDP

Option 2: "Our economy is doing perfectly fine without you, thank you very much!" asserts your Minister of Finance to the Skandilund representative, adding a few zeros to a number under "economic output" to prove @@HIS@@ point. "Sure, we may not have a powerhouse economy, but being effectively ruled by a foreign economy just to wind up crippled in debts? I think you'd better take your business elsewhere."
[effect]children must live in poor conditions while the government rejects money

Option 3: A dodgy @@MAN@@ in an overcoat pulls you into another room. "Yo, buddy. I couldn't help but hear you've got a sweet deal made out for you. Now listen, don't pass up an opportunity like this. That money can fund an effective military capable of squashing them if they want their precious gifts to be repaid. We keep the money, they get the zip, and we become a military power to be reckoned with. It's win-win for us, buddy!"
[effect]trade has been halted on account of embezzlement

The Issue: Skandilund has proposed sending financial aid to help your nation's troubled economy.

Option 1: "I see your nation's been having a bit of financial trouble, @@LEADER@@," notes a representative from Skandilund, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "If you let us, we'd be more than happy to provide some help to your nation by allocating some funds to you for economic growth. Granted, we'd like to be paid back, eventually, but you'll be more than able to once you get your feet off the ground."
[effect]the nation's debt is higher than its GDP

Option 2: "Our economy is doing perfectly fine without you, thank you very much!" asserts your Minister of Finance to the Skandilund representative, adding a few zeros to a number under "economic output". "Sure, we may not have a powerhouse economy, but being effectively ruled by a foreign economy just to wind up crippled in debts? I think you'd better take your business elsewhere."
[effect]children must live in poor conditions while the government rejects money

Option 3: A dodgy @@MAN@@ in an overcoat pulls you into another room. "Yo, buddy. I couldn't help but hear you've got a sweet deal made out for you. Now listen, don't pass up an opportunity like this. That money can fund an effective military capable of squashing them if they want their precious gifts to be repaid. We keep the money, they get the zip, and we become a military power to be reckoned with. It's win-win for us, buddy!"

The Issue: Skandilund has proposed sending financial aid to your nation.

Option 1: "I see your nation's been having a bit of financial trouble, @@LEADER@@," notes a representative from Skandilund, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "If you let us, we'd be more than happy to provide some help to your nation by allocating some funds to your economy. Granted, we'd like to be paid back, eventually, but you'll be more than able to once you get your feet off the ground."
[effect]the nation's debt is higher than its GDP

Option 2: "Our economy is doing perfectly fine without you, thank you very much!" asserts your Minister of Finance to the Skandilund representative, adding a few zeros to a number under "economic output". "Sure, we may not have a powerhouse economy, but being effectively ruled by a foreign economy just to wind up crippled in debts? I think you'd better take your business elsewhere."
[effect]children must play with sticks while the government rejects money

Option 3: A dodgy @@MAN@@ in an overcoat pulls you into another room. "Yo, buddy. I couldn't help but hear you've got a sweet deal made out for you. Now listen, don't pass up an opportunity like this. That money can fund an effective military capable of squashing them if they want their precious gifts to be repaid. We keep the money, they get the zip, and we become a military power not to be reckoned with. It's win-win for us, buddy!"
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 12 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Some similarity to #337, but probably meaningfully distinct by focusing on economy rather than healthcare. Might want to look into exactly how these funds would be used to improve the economy, though.

Jutsa wrote:and we become a military power not to be reckoned with
You don't want that word there.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Derp! <_>

Removed "not". Also changed "your economy" to "you for economic growth" in option 1. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:30 am

Aussie Republic did this subject a little while back in a draft called "What to do About Foreign Aid".
viewtopic.php?t=400224&f=13&view=unread

Wasn't quite up to publication standard, but I think he'd be interested in knowing you're giving this topic another spin.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 am

That's certainly an interesting draft. :blink:

Funnily enough, his options 1, 2, and 3 are very much like my options 2, 3, and 1 - well ok the 2:3 correlation's very loose but it's still interesting, regardless. :lol:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Ha, I forgot about that one. Take what you need :)
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:35 am

Bump~

Thank you, Aussie, although I don't really think I'll be needing anything from that draft.
On the other hand, if you'd really like me to take something the draft, I could try to squeeze something in. :P

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Upto you mate, it's your draft
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 am

Weekly bump. :P

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Maybe you should add a sentence in the description that mentions how terrible your economy is, which is why the foreign aid
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:26 pm

added this:
's troubled economy.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:04 pm

The second effect doesn't sit well with me. Rich kids can play with sticks. Besides, poverty brings worse problems than not having toys

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 pm

what's wrong with children playing with sticks? you're telling me you didn't play with sticks as a child? :p

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 am

Ah... fair enough...

changed "play with sticks" to "live in poor conditions" - don't know if that'll suffice, but the change was made regardless. :)

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Nice issue Jutsa!

Description- "help" sounds a bit unprofessional to me. I'd change it to "assist"
Fallout 1- Good overall, although maybe instead of just "higher" say "double" or "triple" or something even more outlandish (it should seem highly unlikely). Some real countries (cough, USA) have larger debts than GDPs, so that seems a bit too factual.
Option 2- pretty sure quotations always go after periods, but no matter what, it looks pretty ugly. Could you move the phrases around a bit?
Fallout 2- Not a bad effect idea, but it doesn't sound all that great to me... could you "perform some surgery" on it?

Nothing else to say really. Good luck!
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Glad you like it, Fauxia! :D

@Option 1: I was kinda doing that to poke fun at the U.S, but I can change it to "double".

@Option 2: I think it's fine, myself, but I can see the neighboring quotation marks to be quite a confusing little gurfuffle.
What about saying "to prove his point" to help separate them? :P

@Option 3: idk what kind of surgery to do on it - cosmetic surgery? What kind of cosmetics should I add? :?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:55 am

Implemented changes for options 1 and 2, although I also replaced "his" with @@HIS@@. whoops!

I still don't know what you meant by option 3's effect line. Er - anything else I should do to this draft?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:09 am

What the title brings to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6qFG0uop9k

;)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:31 am

Submitted. :P

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 am

Good luck.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 am

Good luck. I actually had begun to write out some suggestions, but I suppose it's too late now. Hope this gets published!
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 am

Write them anyway. If / when we edit and publish, we always double back to and read through drafting threads, and we may use whatever you suggest.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Write them anyway. If / when we edit and publish, we always double back to and read through drafting threads, and we may use whatever you suggest.

Alright then. Here you go. Not entirely sure how useful this will be to you guys.
Jutsa wrote:The Issue: Skandilund has proposed sending financial aid to help your nation's troubled economy.

This is a rather simplistic description. Just stating that you got foreign aid is rather dull and seems random.

If I were you, I'd go with something like, "After a popular United Federationite documentary brought @@NAME@@'s poverty to eye of the international public, multiple aid groups and countries, chief among them Skandilund, have begun to offer @@NAME@@ large amounts of financial aid."

Jutsa wrote:Option 2: "Our economy is doing perfectly fine without you, thank you very much!" asserts your Minister of Finance to the Skandilund representative, adding a few zeros to a number under "economic output" to prove @@HIS@@ point. "Sure, we may not have a powerhouse economy, but being effectively ruled by a foreign economy just to wind up crippled in debts? I think you'd better take your business elsewhere."

This option isn't very appealing, and I really can't see very many people choosing it. I think that the best way to improve it would be to try to make the Minister's point more focused on pointing out that receiving foreign aid would make @@NAME@@ dependent on other countries. Alternatively, you could try to undermine option 1's point.
Jutsa wrote:We keep the money, they get the zip,

They get the zip? What does that mean? Maybe you should instead try "They get prestige" or something.
Jutsa wrote:[effect]trade has been halted on account of embezzlement[/box]

This could be a lot better. I'd go with "Foreign aid is used to make government-sanctioned @@LEADER@@ memorabilia."
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Ah well. I'm sure the editors can either have me do something or do it themselves, if they even accept the issue. :P

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Jutsa wrote:Ah well. I'm sure the editors can either have me do something or do it themselves, if they even accept the issue. :P
Hopefully it'll get in. Generally I try to focus on one issue at a time, so it's always strange to me when people write a bunch at once and finish them quickly.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?