NATION

PASSWORD

Beta 013: Renormalization

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 pm

Proposed Change: Correct a flaw in a scaling algorithm that can cause displayed scores to move very rapidly within a particular window, despite only modest moves in the underlying value. Affects many scales to different degrees. This beta is not comprehensive and previews only the most significant changes. This is a monotonic change; i.e. it will alter scores but not ranks.

This is a big change in that it will affect many nations, many different scales, and can move values quite significantly. However, it doesn't change ranks, so if you're 3,524th in the world for something today, you still will be afterward.

I've added charts to the "Sample Test" pages of each beta, to help visualize the proposed changes.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 pm

For Most Beautiful Environments it appears to merely move the point where it jumps:

Edit: looking again, maybe it's fine. But it didn't look as improved as the other graphs >_>
Last edited by Eluvatar on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 pm

You're looking at a sample of only 50 nations, so it won't always be smooth.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:31 pm

It seems that none of my stats would be changed at all, presumably because none of them are in the unstable range. This applies to all of my currently-active nations.

So, yay?

However, a random sample test suggests that around half of nations would see changes on any given stat.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Looking good in general.

Another area you might want to look at in this regard is political apathy. There seems to be a large unstable area in the middle of the range. (Check my stats and you'll see what I mean).
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:Another area you might want to look at in this regard is political apathy. There seems to be a large unstable area in the middle of the range. (Check my stats and you'll see what I mean).

Yes, you're right! I've added it to the beta.

This beta is a little different to the others, as for technical reasons it can't auto-preview all the changes adequately. I have to manually specify the scales to show. I didn't notice Apathy is one of the most-affected ones. I've now added Lowest Crime Rates and Inclusiveness as well.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Would it be possible to put a click-to-sort on the columns?

No biggie, but a nice-to-have when looking for biggest effects, etc. I believe there is a way to set it up so that the work is done client-side, but I don't know how.
Last edited by Almonaster Nuevo on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Mostrov
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mostrov » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:58 am

Last edited by Mostrov on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Mostrov wrote:Will this effect environmental beauty for my nation?

It affects Environmental Beauty between around 5 and 500 Pounds of Wildlife per Square Mile, and you're currently on 642PW/m, so won't be affected.

Under Renormalization, your last chart above would have shown a much steadier rise toward your current value, rather than all that leaping up and back.

Buckerino
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Buckerino » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:21 am

What I don't understand is how the Political Apathy works - is it a percentage, a number, ratio? What is it supposed to be?
angery kangaroo noises

Buckerino is a liberal, atheist, regulatory capitalist state. I fear not the God's wrath.

Finswedeway
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Finswedeway » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:17 am

Could you explain the strangely high corruption jumps in some nations?
To survive the coming age, we must adapt, resist populist influences, and root out greedy tyranny from the hallowed halls of government, and as God is my witness, we will survive.
-Audo av Sangua

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:01 pm

Buckerino wrote:What I don't understand is how the Political Apathy works - is it a percentage, a number, ratio? What is it supposed to be?

The World Census measures Political Apathy in Whatever units, which I believe is an index designed by prominent social economist Jeffrey Whatever. A "normal" nation scores about 50 Whatevers, while nations with less politically engaged citizens have more Whatevers.

In the end, it's an arbitrary scale, not a measurement of a real-world outcome.

Finswedeway wrote:Could you explain the strangely high corruption jumps in some nations?

The current ranking is flawed as a nation that steadily increases its internal corruption over time won't see that reflected in its World Census Corruption chart: instead, it will see a fairly flat line followed by a sudden increase. This beta corrects that flaw. It causes large changes in some nations because they are quite close to the "sudden increase" part of the chart but not quite there.

It's important to note that this beta doesn't change ranks; i.e. if the #10,000th ranked nation gets a big boost out of this change, it will still be ranked #10,000 afterward, because all the nations around rank #10,000 will also receive a similarly-sized boost.

Galactic Furs
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 13, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Galactic Furs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Have seen some as, whoops I made a mistake and killed the auto industry. And end up with Basket making as number one. Thus, trying to figure how to get something higher up than basket making as what decisions move the numbers back. Certain nations had found spoilers and fluke their nation to have what seem too many top ratings?

True, in some cases can bounce up and down fast - but most numbers seem stuck in a small range after a period of time a nation is here.

Can't look at young nations, need to look at those here a period of time.

Founding a new puppet nation, it becomes easy to bounce ratings-likely all the more so if you have the results known.

True - 800/questions adds more than what I recall seeing in the cheat list, and I did not seek out reading it for such kills the fun of the game.......
Major Irish Setter, CEO
Firestar Septre Corporation of Galactic Furs

Liberated Free Nations
Envoy

Founded: Feb 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Free Nations » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:25 pm

When you answer issues to try and raise a stat like, say, Ideological Radicality, which tops out at a flat number that is easy for many nations to get, it seems just impossible to reach #1 in the world no matter how many issues you actually answer, unless all the nations ahead of you simply CTE. Is there a possibility where nations that have answered the most number of radicalizing, authoritarianizing, or other sort of issues are prioritized on the list over secondary puppets that answer only one or two, or is it a system limitation?

It seems to me like it would make more sense for nations to be able to compete for the top spot.
Full Name: The (Former) Democratic Republic of Liberated Free Nations

The reactionary foreign oppressors ruling the nations of our Union, criminally implementing a policy of decadent consumerism across the land with an iron fist, are on the retreat before the legitimate government of the working class fighting to rebuild the only Marxist state on earth, which was WRONGLY classified as a Psychotic Dictatorship. We will return to power inevitably.

Goldenmouth
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Goldenmouth » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 pm

Liberated Free Nations wrote:When you answer issues to try and raise a stat like, say, Ideological Radicality, which tops out at a flat number that is easy for many nations to get, it seems just impossible to reach #1 in the world no matter how many issues you actually answer, unless all the nations ahead of you simply CTE. Is there a possibility where nations that have answered the most number of radicalizing, authoritarianizing, or other sort of issues are prioritized on the list over secondary puppets that answer only one or two, or is it a system limitation?

It seems to me like it would make more sense for nations to be able to compete for the top spot.

As someone who competes for the top spot in census rankings, I can tell you that it is possible to reach #1 for Ideological Radicality by answering issues. The issues editor Candlewhisper Archive has a puppet, DoNoHarm, that reached #1 for Ideological Radicality by answering issues. The farthest I got with my puppets was 13th in the world.
Last edited by Goldenmouth on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:16 am

Buckerino wrote:What I don't understand is how the Political Apathy works - is it a percentage, a number, ratio? What is it supposed to be?

abstract number, like most stats.

Liberated Free Nations
Envoy

Founded: Feb 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Free Nations » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:15 am

Goldenmouth wrote:
Liberated Free Nations wrote:When you answer issues to try and raise a stat like, say, Ideological Radicality, which tops out at a flat number that is easy for many nations to get, it seems just impossible to reach #1 in the world no matter how many issues you actually answer, unless all the nations ahead of you simply CTE. Is there a possibility where nations that have answered the most number of radicalizing, authoritarianizing, or other sort of issues are prioritized on the list over secondary puppets that answer only one or two, or is it a system limitation?

As someone who competes for the top spot in census rankings, I can tell you that it is possible to reach #1 for Ideological Radicality by answering issues. The issues editor Candlewhisper Archive has a puppet, DoNoHarm, that reached #1 for Ideological Radicality by answering issues. The farthest I got with my puppets was 13th in the world.

That is a relief to hear... I'll redouble my efforts.
Full Name: The (Former) Democratic Republic of Liberated Free Nations

The reactionary foreign oppressors ruling the nations of our Union, criminally implementing a policy of decadent consumerism across the land with an iron fist, are on the retreat before the legitimate government of the working class fighting to rebuild the only Marxist state on earth, which was WRONGLY classified as a Psychotic Dictatorship. We will return to power inevitably.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical