NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Goobergunchia

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

[PASSED] Commend Goobergunchia

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:33 pm

After a successful interview with the nation in question, I have drummed up an adequate commendation. But I want to hear what the rest of the council has to say, and any notes of additions or subtractions would be appreciated.

Here is the current draft:
RECOGNIZING Goobergunchia for the creation of the first Nation States' wiki, NSwiki, a highly informative and detailed account of in-game incidents, resolutions, national profiles, region profiles, history, events, and terminology.

NOTING Goobergunchia's successful drafting and passage of Nation States United Nations (NSUN) Resolution #22, a resolution which had prohibited pedophilia, and Security Council Resolution #4, Liberate Belgium.

UNDERSTANDING the various positions Goobergunchia has held throughout history, including Deputy Secretary of State in the Alliance Defense Network and Secretary-General of Red Liberty Alliance.

HEREBY commends Goobergunchia in the form of an official commendation by the World Assembly

Here's some links:
Jolt post annoucning the NS wiki opening: http://forums.joltonline.com/showthread.php?t=361994
Story behind WA Resolution #22: http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Outlaw_Pedophilia

The original draft:
RECOGNIZING the nation of Goobergunchia for the creation of the NationStates' wikipedia, NSwiki, a highly informative and detailed account of both in-game and out-of-game incidents, resolutions, national profiles, region profiles, history, and events.

NOTING the nation's successful drafting and passage of World Assembly Resolution #22, which prohibits pedophilia and remains a beacon of morality since its inclusion.

UNDERSTANDING the various positions the nation has held throughout its history, including Deputy Secretary of State in the Alliance Defense Network and Secretary of Red Liberty Alliance.

HEREBY commends Goobergunchia in the form of an official commendation by the World Assembly
Last edited by Flibbleites on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:54 am, edited 17 times in total.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Re: [DRAFT] Commend Goobergunchia

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:46 pm

RECOGNIZING the nation of Goobergrunchia for the creation of the NationStates' wikipedia, NSwiki, a highly informative and detailed account of both in-game and out-of-game incidents, resolutions, national profiles, region profiles, history, and events.

1. You need to decide who you are commending, the nation or the player. The nation of Goobergunchia didn't create NSWiki, the player did.

2. As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's possible to do this without even mentioning offsite places by name. And I believe it would be preferable to do so.

NOTING the nation's successful drafting and passage of World Assembly Resolution #22, which prohibits pedophilia and remains a beacon of morality since its inclusion.

World Assembly Resolution #22 is Diplomat Protection Act. I believe you meant to say UNR #22 Outlaw Pedophilia

UNDERSTANDING the various positions the nation has held throughout its history, including Deputy Secretary of State in the Alliance Defense Network and Secretary of Red Liberty Alliance.

Again, this is confusing. A nation cannot be a Deputy Secretary of State.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:48 pm

The 22nd WA Resolution was the Diplomat Protection Act!

Outlaw Pedophilia was a United Nations Resolution.

[edit] Rarh, beaten to the punch by Railguns.. [/edit]
Last edited by Unibot on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:48 pm

WA Resolution #22 is the Diplomat Protection Act. Outlaw Pedophilia was UN Resolution #22, is no longer force, and was, by the open admission of its author who subsequently supported Stephistan's Child Protection Act, solely a tactical move that was, in legislative terms, rather deficient.

And a law saying "please don't fuck children" seems to me less than beacon-like.
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Watch your language.

Fixed the resolution confusion, decided to commend the player rather than the nation itself.

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm

You're missing my point: Outlaw Pedophilia does not prohibit paedophilia. It sits on a wall, looking pretty. It is no longer an active law, and it no more prohibits paedophilia than does the Waste Disposal Covenant govern environmental laws. Neither of them have any force; you need to change "prohibits" to "used to prohibit, but doesn't anymore".

I also note with amusement, though not a great deal of surprise, that a Naughty Word used in perfect accuracy is considered more profane than defiling everything the WA players have spent years contributing to with your abject filth.
Last edited by Quintessence of Dust on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:55 pm

So can we mention the United Nations (as "the previous incarnation of the WA") to acknowledge the work done by UN proposal writers whose work changed the world, back in the day?

*looks back on "Commend Jay"*

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:Watch your language.

Fixed the resolution confusion, decided to commend the player rather than the nation itself.

Sorry did you just morph in to a Mod ?
Last edited by Urgench on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Quintessence of Dust wrote:You're missing my point: Outlaw Pedophilia does not prohibit paedophilia. It sits on a wall, looking pretty. It is no longer an active law, and it no more prohibits paedophilia than does the Waste Disposal Covenant govern environmental laws. Neither of them have any force; you need to change "prohibits" to "used to prohibit, but doesn't anymore".

I also note with amusement, though not a great deal of surprise, that a Naughty Word used in perfect accuracy is considered more profane than defiling everything the WA players have spent years contributing to with your abject filth.

Changed.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:00 pm

RECOGNIZING the player behind the nation Goobergunchia

That's just fucking stupid. Are we really going to do this again?

What would be wrong with:

RECOGNIZING Goobergunchia for his efforts to archive the history and records of NationStates and the creation of a highly informative and detailed account of incidents, resolutions, national profiles, region profiles, history, and events.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:02 pm

Unibot wrote:So can we mention the United Nations (as "the previous incarnation of the WA") to acknowledge the work done by UN proposal writers whose work changed the world, back in the day?

*looks back on "Commend Jay"*

When referencing a UN resolution it would probably be better to say "UNR #" or "NSUN Resolution #", rather than have the prohibited name of the organization which shall not be mentioned.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:
RECOGNIZING the player behind the nation Goobergunchia

That's just fucking stupid. Are we really going to do this again?

What would be wrong with:

RECOGNIZING Goobergunchia for his efforts to archive the history and records of NationStates and the creation of a highly informative and detailed account of incidents, resolutions, national profiles, region profiles, history, and events.

Fixed.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 pm

For IC-sake, could we change NationStates to "nation-states"? It suggests the same thing...

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:Watch your language.

just noticed this. Make me.

And yes, I know, a mod will probably be here shortly to make me, but it isn't your place to tell us to "watch our language".
OOC puppet of Yelda

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Unibot wrote:

For IC-sake, could we change NationStates to "nation-states"? It suggests the same thing...

Fixed.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Except for matters of factual accuracy and responses to direct questions, we feel that it would be improper for us to directly participate in this discussion and therefore shall refrain from doing so.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN Ambassador
Retired Officer, Nasicournia
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Unibot wrote:

Hmm. I think some refer to it as NationStates IC. I know I have had my characters say "NationStates Multiverse" IC. Doesn't really matter to me. C&Cs don't have to follow GA RP conventions anyway.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm

RECOGNIZING Goobergunchia for the creation of the Nation-States' wikipedia, NSwiki, a highly informative and detailed account of both in-game and out-of-game incidents, resolutions, national profiles, region profiles, history, and events.

Eh.. If you're going to include 'wikipedia' and 'NSwiki' in the wording, you might as well as lose the dash between Nation and States.
I apologize, I thought you followed Railgun's suggestion more closely, when you said 'fixed!'

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:11 pm

NSwiki is a wiki, by the way. Not a 'Wikipedia'. :p

Plus NSwiki isn't offical, nor universally used. So it isn't "the" NationStates' Wiki. There are other creditable alternatives...
Last edited by Unibot on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:Except for matters of factual accuracy and responses to direct questions, we feel that it would be improper for us to directly participate in this discussion and therefore shall refrain from doing so.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN Ambassador
Retired Officer, Nasicournia

Can I ask you a question though, because it's relevant?

This can be written to commend the nation of Goobergunchia or you, the player. I don't think it's proper or advisable to try to do both. So my question is, do you ICly consider NSWiki to be the work of the Goobergunchian government? Or do you consider it the work of you, the player?

Personally, if I was writing this I would rather commend the nation. That's not a slight against you, the player either. If someone were to commend me I would prefer they commend one of my nations. I would be baffled by the idea of the WA commending me personally. But if NSWiki is the work of the player rather than (ICly) the nation then this probably needs to be written to commend the player.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:46 pm

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:Can I ask you a question though, because it's relevant?

This can be written to commend the nation of Goobergunchia or you, the player. I don't think it's proper or advisable to try to do both. So my question is, do you ICly consider NSWiki to be the work of the Goobergunchian government? Or do you consider it the work of you, the player?

Personally, if I was writing this I would rather commend the nation. That's not a slight against you, the player either. If someone were to commend me I would prefer they commend one of my nations. I would be baffled by the idea of the WA commending me personally. But if NSWiki is the work of the player rather than (ICly) the nation then this probably needs to be written to commend the player.

NSwiki is designed to pertain to anything and everything involving NationStates. This includes RP, Gameplay, Forum 7 memes, you name it. As it's not at all limited to an RP-IC context and a lot of the administrative stuff I do is definitely OOC, the totality of NSwiki is really more of an OOC/RL construct than an IC one.

However, to permit RPed references to NSwiki, I've said before that I consider NSwiki to also exist in the RP-IC Goobergunchia. In this context, NSwiki does exist as a Goobergunchian government project (the "Wiki Project") and is hosted on a big server farm somewhere in the middle of the country. Of course, any RP references to NSwiki would by necessity exclude the non-RP content, as well as much of the meta-discussion on the site.

This has been an OOC post.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:10 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:
Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:Can I ask you a question though, because it's relevant?

NSwiki is designed to pertain to anything and everything involving NationStates. This includes RP, Gameplay, Forum 7 memes, you name it. As it's not at all limited to an RP-IC context and a lot of the administrative stuff I do is definitely OOC, the totality of NSwiki is really more of an OOC/RL construct than an IC one.

However, to permit RPed references to NSwiki, I've said before that I consider NSwiki to also exist in the RP-IC Goobergunchia. In this context, NSwiki does exist as a Goobergunchian government project (the "Wiki Project") and is hosted on a big server farm somewhere in the middle of the country. Of course, any RP references to NSwiki would by necessity exclude the non-RP content, as well as much of the meta-discussion on the site.

This has been an OOC post.

Well I suppose it could be written either way then. Thanks.

Todd, if you don't already have me on ignore, how about these for possible texts:

Commending the player
RECOGNIZING Goobergunchia for the creation of NSwiki, a highly informative and detailed account of both in-game and out-of-game incidents, resolutions, national profiles, region profiles, history, and events.

NOTING Goobergunchia's successful drafting and passage of NSUN Resolution #22, a resolution which had prohibited pedophilia.

UNDERSTANDING the various positions Goobergunchia has held throughout his history, including Deputy Secretary of State in the Alliance Defense Network and Secretary of Red Liberty Alliance.

HEREBY commends Goobergunchia in the form of an official commendation by the World Assembly.

Commending the nation
RECOGNIZING the nation of Goobergunchia for the creation of the Wiki Project, a highly informative and detailed account of incidents, resolutions, national profiles, region profiles, history, and events in NationStates.

NOTING the Goobergunchian delegation's successful drafting and passage of NSUN Resolution #22, a resolution which had prohibited pedophilia.

UNDERSTANDING the various positions Goobergunchians have held throughout history, including Deputy Secretary of State in the Alliance Defense Network and Secretary of Red Liberty Alliance.

HEREBY commends Goobergunchia in the form of an official commendation by the World Assembly.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Frankly I do think Goober is exceedingly worthy of praise, but after the shooting down of "Commend Jey", I have lost all my faith in the relevance and future of the Security Council.

A place that is able to commend WFE colors but not the daunting effort of Repealing piles, unending continents of shit is not anymore deserving of my attention. (Todd, nothing personal: I know you and Sydia voted FOR "Commend Jey".)

I'd say "Yours," and credentials, but everything around here is OOC, anyway.

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 pm

I don't understand why it's imperative to commend the player, not the nation. The nation of Goobergunchia didn't set up NSwiki: the player did. If you're worried about preserving the fourth wall: sorry, that's already been shattered.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Unibot wrote:NSwiki is a wiki, by the way. Not a 'Wikipedia'. :p

Plus NSwiki isn't offical, nor universally used. So it isn't "the" NationStates' Wiki. There are other creditable alternatives...

Fixed. I changed it to read 'the first Nation States wiki'

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives