NATION

PASSWORD

Elimination of Nuclear Weapons

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
United North American Commonwealths
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Elimination of Nuclear Weapons

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:42 pm

We The Federation of United North American Commonwealths Urge The World Assembly to Make Member States Gradually Reduce their Nuclear Stockpiles. This would make the NationStates Community Safe from Nuclear annihilation and Refocus The World Assembly's Efforts to The Advancement of Peace. Also if Any Member States do not Comply be removed from the World Assembly. Our Proposal is for The World Assembly Make Member States Reduce there Nuclear Arsenals to Under 1,000 and Limit them to Tactical Nukes.
Last edited by United North American Commonwealths on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Link to proposal?
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:51 pm

OOC: Welcome to the World Assembly! Unfortunately your proposal idea is illegal for contradicting GA Resolution #10, the Nuclear Arms Possession Act. This resolution guarantees WA nations the right to own nuclear weapons, and would need to be repealed before any prohibition could be enacted.

I'd encourage you to stick around for a while and see how this place works - participate in drafting threads, page through the Passed Resolutions index (see "Extant Resolutions" in my signature below), and the like. Then, once you're a bit better versed in what areas of law are open for legislation, you can try again with your next idea.

Again, welcome to the World Assembly!
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:58 pm

This Would Require the repeal of GA Resolution #10.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:01 pm

[quote="United North American Commonwealths";p="32971973"]We The Federation of United North American Commonwealths Urge The World Assembly to Make Member States Gradually Reduce their Nuclear Stockpiles. This would make the NationStates Community Safe from Nuclear annihilation and Refocus The World Assembly's Efforts to The Advancement of Peace. Also if Any Member States do not Comply be removed from the World Assembly. Our Proposal is for The World Assembly Make Member States Reduce there Nuclear Arsenals to Under 1,000 and Limit them to Tactical Nukes. Also This would require the repeal of GA Resolution #10.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:29 pm

United North American Commonwealths wrote:
United North American Commonwealths wrote:We The Federation of United North American Commonwealths Urge The World Assembly to Make Member States Gradually Reduce their Nuclear Stockpiles. This would make the NationStates Community Safe from Nuclear annihilation and Refocus The World Assembly's Efforts to The Advancement of Peace. Also if Any Member States do not Comply be removed from the World Assembly. Our Proposal is for The World Assembly Make Member States Reduce there Nuclear Arsenals to Under 1,000 and Limit them to Tactical Nukes. Also This would require the repeal of GA Resolution #10.

OOC: Repeals cannot include new legislation. First, Repeal, Second, Legislate a replacement.

IC: "We are aggressively opposed to any attempt to reduce our nuclear stockpile, or to repeal GAR#10. If you want our nuclear weapons so bad, you can have them...warhead first."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:40 am

United North American Commonwealths wrote:We The Federation of United North American Commonwealths Urge The World Assembly to Make Member States Gradually Reduce their Nuclear Stockpiles. This would make the NationStates Community Safe from Nuclear annihilation and Refocus The World Assembly's Efforts to The Advancement of Peace. Also if Any Member States do not Comply be removed from the World Assembly. Our Proposal is for The World Assembly Make Member States Reduce there Nuclear Arsenals to Under 1,000 and Limit them to Tactical Nukes. Also This would require the repeal of GA Resolution #10.

"Proposals are laws, not speeches. They should have multiple clauses on different lines and generally not have every word be capitalised."

(OOC: you are missing an ending [/quote] tag)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Dragonslinding WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:16 am

OOC: We need a draft proposal. Also we'll be opposed.
Ser Aegon Snow: Chief Ambassador of HM Government to the WA.
Ser Dawrin Stone: Assistant Ambassador of HM Government to the WA

Please note that Ser is a title not a name. It denotes that both of these gentlemen have been knighted

We creatively comply with a number of WA resolutions, check out our factbook on the matter if you'd like to know more.

Cisgendered, homosexual white male. Classically liberal/libertarian, this nation does not reflect my actual political positions.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:34 am

OOC
Although NAPA (GAR #10) guarantees member nations' the right to own nuclear weapons, past rulings -- including, if I remember correctly, at least one by NAPA's actual author during their time as a Mod -- say that that just guarantees each member nationn the right to own at least two nuclear weapons (because two is the minimum number to qualify as "weapons", rather than as "weapon") of some kind rather than the right to own as many examples as they want of whatever types they want. Proposals to limit stockpiles, like this one, would therefore not be illegal for contradiction of NAPA. Still impossible to pass, probably, but not illegal.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:40 am

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed
But the government can totally prohibit you from owning more than two arms. Novel.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
But the government can totally prohibit you from owning more than two arms. Novel.

OOC: And can totally prohibit you from owning any bears.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:33 pm

“This issue is far too overreaching and would require GA #10 to be repealed. Opposed.”
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

To be fair, you only ever need two arms. Heck, people have gotten by with just one arm or even no arms.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:03 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:

To be fair, you only ever need two arms. Heck, people have gotten by with just one arm or even no arms.

*looks at alien with 5 arms*

That’s speciest.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:

OOC: Repeals cannot include new legislation. First, Repeal, Second, Legislate a replacement.

IC: "We are aggressively opposed to any attempt to reduce our nuclear stockpile, or to repeal GAR#10. If you want our nuclear weapons so bad, you can have them...warhead first."

You won't get my nukes unless you pry them out of my cold, dead hands. And I still won't give 'em to you.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Entronium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Entronium » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Plz no

Nations like me need nukes........

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Repeals cannot include new legislation. First, Repeal, Second, Legislate a replacement.

You won't get my nukes unless you pry them out of my cold, dead hands. And I still won't give 'em to you.

Then we will just grab your nukes from your dead cold hands and you couldn't do anything about it because you would be dead.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:43 pm

It was proposal but its intent was to show the World Assembly the risk nuclear weapons have on maintaining World Peace.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Entronium wrote:Plz no

no you don't you just use them to threat other nations into getting your way.

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Entronium wrote:Plz no

no you don't you just use them to threat other nations into getting your way.

Making assumptions, I see.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:08 pm

I decided to write an example of how you could go about striking down Resolution #10. This is a rough draft but just an example (and may not be a great one because I’ve never written a proposal). Not that my nation would vote in favor of it because nations should have the right to nuclear weapons and Resolution #10 does an excellent job in protecting that right.

Repeal “Nuclear Arms Possession Act”
A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal
Resolution: #10
Proposed by: Xmara

Description:
Understanding that WA member states are vastly outnumbered by non-member states,

Acknowledging that non-member states are not required to abide by WA proposals,

Recognizing that nuclear weapons are not required to defend a nation from outside forces,

Horrified that even WA member states may use nuclear weapons for reasons other than testing and defense,

Arguing that there are far more peaceful and diplomatic approaches to dealing with foreign invaders,

The World Assembly hereby repeals “Nuclear Arms Possession Act.”
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:13 pm

I am making more detailed argument and a new topic for this.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Repeal “Nuclear Arms Possession Act” WA resolution #10

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:42 pm

[proposal=][/proposal]Repeal “Nuclear Arms Possession Act”
A proposal to repeal a previously passed WA resolution #10

Category: Repeal
Resolution: #10
Proposed by: Federation of United North American Commonwealths

Description:
Understanding that WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons to defend themselves from hostile nations and realizing that the WA members need to be able to defend themselves if attacked.

Also acknowledging that non-member states are not required to abide by WA proposals,

Recognizing that nuclear weapons are not required to defend a nation from outside forces,

Horrified that even WA member states may use nuclear weapons for reasons other than testing and defense,

Arguing that there are far more peaceful and diplomatic approaches to dealing with foreign invaders,

But also acknowledging that this resolution allows WA States build excessive arsenals of nuclear weapons that are more than needed to defend their own Individual nations and only promotes more militarization that leads to bigger deadlier conflicts that further destabilizes The World Assembly's goal of Peace and Partnership.

The World Assembly hereby repeals “Nuclear Arms Possession Act.”
Last edited by United North American Commonwealths on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 11 times in total.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Teran Saber: "You're not the first person to try this. You're not the second, or the third, or the fourth either. And no one before you succeeded. What makes you think this attempt will be any different?"
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United North American Commonwealths » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Because I have Confidence that Nations Leaders will Understand the effects of Nuclear War and Take Steps to Prevent it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly