NATION

PASSWORD

SUBMITTED: When the river doesn't run dry

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

SUBMITTED: When the river doesn't run dry

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Inspiration for the title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-58aVlPYk
[title] When the river doesn’t run dry

[desc] Many towns and cities were divided yesterday, because @@NAME@@’s longest ephemeral river, ariver which usually completely dry on the surface, flooded. As many roads and rail lines which cross the river are not elevated, and there are no tunnels or bridges, many towns and cities were divided by the river’s flow. Many mayors of the river claim that they can’t afford to erect bridges, nor dig tunnels, and have come to the national government looking for funding

[validity] Must have high levels of desertification, must embrace local government. Co-author Jutsa

[option] "Please @@LEADER@@, don’t neglect the desert with your infrastructure fund!” pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, the mayor of a town on the river “Because of yesterday’s flood, many people were unable to travel to work, school or to visit their families and friends on the side of the river. Most of us are only small towns, and can’t afford to build bridges over the river, but with some funds from you, we can. Our economy shut down yesterday because of the flood"
[effect] every flood plain must be bridged

[option] "Why in the bloody hell would we waste money on building bridges and tunnels for rivers which only have water a couple of times a year?" asks economist @@RANDOMNAME@@ "If we have to bridge this river, then we have to bridge every river, which would cost a fortune! If these mayors want their cities to be bridged, they can pay for it"
[effect] the government claims that a lack of water justifies not bridging rivers

[option] "I know what we can do," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of creative solutions "Why don’t we build one road bridge and one rail bridge for every 10,000 residents? That way we don't waste too much money, and everyone can get to the other side. It’s win-win!"
[effect] roads are usually busiest during off-peak periods
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:43 am

No comments that good or that bad?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 am

Bad.

You need to up your writing quality, Aussie, or you'll just be wasting your time and ours. I suggest revise basic punctuation, or if you can't find the desire to do this, stick to collaborating with authors who can.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24 am

Here, I've patched it up and made it fancier as part of my co-authorship with Aussie. :P

Title: When The River Doesn’t Run Dry
The Issue: Many towns and cities were divided yesterday on account of @@NAME@@’s longest ephemeral river (a river which only exists for short periods of time after heavy rainfall) flooded over, causing production and family vacations to grind to a halt. As many roads and rail lines which cross the river are not elevated, and building a tunnel or bridge would be an enormous expense, many mayors of the river have come to the national government looking for funding.
Validity: None

Option 1: "Please @@LEADER@@, don’t desert us with your infrastructure fund!” pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, mayor of a town on the river. “Because of yesterday’s flood, many people were unable to travel to work, school or to visit their families and friends on the side of the river. Most of us are only small towns, and can’t afford to build bridges over the river, but with some funds from you, we can. Our economy shut down yesterday because of the flood"
[effect] every flood plain must be bridged

Option 2: "Why in the bloody hell would we waste money on building bridges and tunnels for rivers which only have water a couple of times a year?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, an economist from a town far from the river. "If we have to bridge this river, then we have to bridge every river, which would cost a fortune! If these mayors really want their cities to be bridged, the they can pay for it."
[effect] the government claims that a lack of water justifies not bridging rivers

Option 3: "I know what we can do!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Creative Solutions. "Why don’t we build one road bridge and one rail bridge for every 10,000 residents? That way we don't waste too much money, and everyone can get to the other side. It’s win-win!"
[effect] roads are usually busiest during off-peak periods

Now, I must say that option 3 doesn't look very interesting at all. Not much of a "creative solution", if you ask me. :lol2:
What you could do is have it propose building a dam.
The person speaking could be "shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a construction worker from a town in the river". That'd be great because
a) he gets a job and b) his town gets flooded so he'd have incentive to build one. :lol2:

Your call, though, Aussie. If there's anything you want me to change back, or anything you want to change, feel free,
although I'd like to see your thoughts on my suggestion for option 3. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am

Wouldn't you still need a bridge even when the river bank is dry? Without water, it's still a chasm in the ground, which isn't easy to cross with a vehicle. On foot you could probably climb down and climb back up, but that would still be inconvenient, and if you're willing to accept that then you can also consider the possibility of just swimming across.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 am

I dunno. I mostly just did wanted to help Aussie's writing regardless of the plot. :P

You could have roads built into the river, although... that raises another question: How are they not eroded?

Frankly I don't think this issue's really been fully thought out. Sorry, Aussie. :lol2:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi Jutsa and Trott. Thank You Very Much for your imput. I'm gonna start with the comment about the river's chasm:
Firstly, ephermeral rivers (at least the ones that I've seen) are quite shallow (granted, I've only seen one person, which actually inspired me to write this, but I have seen quite a few online)

Here is the one ephermeral river I have seen in person. Notice the boom gates on the far left and far right of the river? They are there for when the river floods. Also, notice the foot bridge

Now, here is the same road crossing when the same river when it is flooded

Click here
Sorry, couldn't find a picture small enough to upload

Also, I would assume the current would be too strong for swimming, based on how quickly flooding happens

Now, as for the dam, considering that there is only about (let's say for example, 5 days or less) of water in the river every year, I can't see how building a dam would pretty much do nothing

Also, with regards to errosion, I honestly don't know how that they don't errode, because lots of roads cross lots of dry rivers (like the one above) with no bridges and no tunnels, and they don't errode. I don't know it works, sorry. Maybe it's prevented/fixed by general maintaince.

Also, thanks for your co-authoring Jutsa!
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Wow! TIL!

Well, nonetheless, do you think that option 3 would be better as a "build a dam" option instead? :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Jutsa wrote:Wow! TIL!

Well, nonetheless, do you think that option 3 would be better as a "build a dam" option instead? :P

Na, like I said, you can't really build a damn with water that rare. What I was thinking, however, is that since many of these rivers have underground water flowing almost perminately, you could maybe dig the river up and expose the water (that it is, until it evaporates)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Huh. Interesting.

Well, your call. :P

The Figgis Agency
Civilian

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Figgis Agency » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 pm

There isn't a clear stat validity condition here. What does desertification look like in terms of Environmental Beauty, Eco-friendliness, or Weather? Thanks for the issue idea, I might write one that combines underground cities/residential areas and wadi/arroyo flooding.

EDIT: meant to post as Nouveau Yathrib
Last edited by The Figgis Agency on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're in the Danger Zone!"

Tongue-in-cheek parody of Archer.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Jutsa wrote:Huh. Interesting.

Well, your call. :P

What do you think?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:28 pm

The Figgis Agency wrote:There isn't a clear stat validity condition here. What does desertification look like in terms of Environmental Beauty, Eco-friendliness, or Weather? Thanks for the issue idea, I might write one that combines underground cities/residential areas and wadi/arroyo flooding.

Well in terms of weather, it would be good weather I guess, and the better the weather, the more of a desert, as weather is measured by the amount of sunlight. Also, there are a few desertification and agricture issues, and mainly, artifical desertification happens as a result of poor maintaince of the environment

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:15 pm

11 day bump

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Last call before submission

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Submitted

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Good luck Aussie :)
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?