NATION

PASSWORD

Neutral Ground - an Open Discussion Thread

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

McChimp
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby McChimp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:49 am

Kanglia wrote:McChimp, I can assure you that Fauxia is not a raider, nor is anybody who doesn't participate in R/D, to claim that defenders truly believe that is a fallacy that you & others push to make defenders look like the "bad guys" of the spectrum. And to be quite frank with you, the lot of you need better material. It's all getting stale, repetitive, & more uninspired each time you talk about it.

It was a joke, Mark. I was joking. It was a christmas joke.
Last edited by McChimp on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
'YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"They're not the same at all!"
YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.' - Hogfather, Terry Pratchett.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Kanglia wrote:
McChimp wrote:
The defenders have abandoned such disgracefully moderate ideas as these.

McChimp, I can assure you that Fauxia is not a raider, nor is anybody who doesn't participate in R/D, to claim that defenders truly believe that is a fallacy that you & others push to make defenders look like the "bad guys" of the spectrum. And to be quite frank with you, the lot of you need better material. It's all getting stale, repetitive, & more uninspired each time you talk about it.
Duuuude (or Dudette, I don't actually know) I was making a joke. Why would I make a blanket statement for a community I'm not even in? A personal joke, not an official statement.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Kanglia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanglia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:53 pm

McChimp wrote:
Kanglia wrote:McChimp, I can assure you that Fauxia is not a raider, nor is anybody who doesn't participate in R/D, to claim that defenders truly believe that is a fallacy that you & others push to make defenders look like the "bad guys" of the spectrum. And to be quite frank with you, the lot of you need better material. It's all getting stale, repetitive, & more uninspired each time you talk about it.

It was a joke, Mark. I was joking. It was a christmas joke.

If only my name was Mark, lol
You'll have to forgive me though, as that particular rhetoric is quite common as of late, I couldn't detect sarcasm over a text-based situation :p
Senior Warden in TGW. Usual commander of the UDSAF. Constantly snarky.
Views here are my own and not representative of any affiliation unless otherwise stated.
Always watching

McChimp
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby McChimp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Kanglia wrote:If only my name was Mark, lol
You'll have to forgive me though, as that particular rhetoric is quite common as of late, I couldn't detect sarcasm over a text-based situation :p

If only it were christmas.
'YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"They're not the same at all!"
YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.' - Hogfather, Terry Pratchett.

Pollaetorian
Envoy

Founded: Oct 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pollaetorian » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:34 pm

I had previously mentioned that I was once elected 'Terror" officer in TRR, where are I was democratically and legally allowed to oppress residents at will. TRR has a very simple government structure, so you just need to be clear about your intentions, challenge for the spot and get elected and it'll be all above broad, without the messiness of couping

Yesterday I learned that TSP has 'Local councillors', officers that are given powers to suppress and change the WFE as they see fit. The forum government recognises them and allows them to act independently of the forum government, with the whole process is conducted gameside. So theoretically there is a legal way to tag raid the feeder. :)

Are the any other large regions with similar laws? Has any government one further and have legalised couping?
Helping you make the right decisions | The Pollaetorian Guard: Arbiters of Democracy | Liberating the proles from the polls
<Mall> Codger is only an enemy to those who dislike polls.

Pollaetorian
Envoy

Founded: Oct 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pollaetorian » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 am

Pollaetorian wrote:I had previously mentioned that I was once elected 'Terror" officer in TRR, where are I was democratically and legally allowed to oppress residents at will. TRR has a very simple government structure, so you just need to be clear about your intentions, challenge for the spot and get elected and it'll be all above broad, without the messiness of couping

Yesterday I learned that TSP has 'Local councillors', officers that are given powers to suppress and change the WFE as they see fit. The forum government recognises them and allows them to act independently of the forum government, with the whole process is conducted gameside. So theoretically there is a legal way to tag raid the feeder. :)

Are the any other large regions with similar laws? Has any government one further and have legalised couping?

tbh, I was hoping people would go over their constitutions, do the research for me and tell me the regions that are easiest to legally coup/raid/disrupt over.

This is why people resort to crime, I'm trying to be honest guy here and no one is wllling to lend a hand.
Last edited by Pollaetorian on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helping you make the right decisions | The Pollaetorian Guard: Arbiters of Democracy | Liberating the proles from the polls
<Mall> Codger is only an enemy to those who dislike polls.

Dysmastan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Dysmastan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:27 am

Pollaetorian wrote:
Pollaetorian wrote:I had previously mentioned that I was once elected 'Terror" officer in TRR, where are I was democratically and legally allowed to oppress residents at will. TRR has a very simple government structure, so you just need to be clear about your intentions, challenge for the spot and get elected and it'll be all above broad, without the messiness of couping

tbh, I was hoping people would go over their constitutions, do the research for me and tell me the regions that are easiest to legally coup/raid/disrupt over.

This is why people resort to crime, I'm trying to be honest guy here and no one is wllling to lend a hand.

Legally raid or disrupt?

I can answer that. There is none. No self-respecting region would seriously let another group raid it.
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Well, the GA is full of obstructionist elite, and the rules are just there to hold the OP back. Haven't you heard?
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Jerzylvania wrote:*drinking goblet of Patriots fans tears*

Now that's refreshing!!!
Necromancer of Corruption(Former) - Undead Dominion of Lazarus
Dislike me? Disagree with me? I'll let you meet my FLUFFY dog mittens!

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:05 pm

The Local Council isn't quite that simple Codger, and there are restrictions on what it can and can't do in-regards to the In-Game Region; it's not quite the anarchic free for all you imagine, and is regulated by TSP's Charter;

The Charter of The Coalition of the South Pacific wrote:V. THE LOCAL COUNCIL

Establishing home rule for the in-game region residents

1. The Local Council will be the local government of the in-game community, composed of three or more residents of The South Pacific, and will represent the interests of all players in the region, moderate the Regional Message Board, encourage activity on the game-side, and administrate itself on issues unique to the in-game community.

2. The Local Council is entitled to self-administration within its jurisdiction on local issues, but may not pass laws or regulations that contradict this Charter or constitutional laws. To that end, the Assembly may not enact any law, nor the Cabinet deliver any directive, that is solely related to an issue local to the in-game community.

3. The Local Council may not be denied the authority to run regional polls, create and pin Dispatches, and to suppress messages on the Regional Message Board according to a standard moderation policy. However, it may not alter the regional flags or tags, and may not send out mass telegrams, without the approval of the Delegate.

4. To help promote inter-governmental relations, the Local Council will send a representative to the Assembly, whose term must not exceed the Local Council’s. The method of selection will be decided by the Local Council.

Essentially, TSP lets the in-game/RMB focused community elect their own moderators/representatives to manage the day-to-day of that part of TSP along with the Delegate, as well as decide how the RMB is run/regulated via in game laws/regulations. The Delegate is also elected in a two stage election, with a forum primary and in-game general. The third part of TSP's tri-facto of "Let's actually use these new game mechanics to let people make decisions in game and be as democratic as possible" is in-game referendums on matters directly effecting the gameside - ie; how the Delegate is elected, whether or not the LC remains a thing, etc - once they've passed the Assembly.

You'd still like it, but the kinda of "legal" tagging you thought of would still see you in trouble....

Unless the Delegate finds it funny ;)
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Mostly Benevolent Tyranny
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mostly Benevolent Tyranny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:49 pm

TL;DR

Get yourself elected delegate in a GCR and you can tag raid the place :p
Last edited by Mostly Benevolent Tyranny on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marius Rahl
Fortitudine Vincimus!

Zaolat - Today at 7:15 PM
Drall turns everything he's involved in into an orgy.

Mount Seymour
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mount Seymour » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Mostly Benevolent Tyranny wrote:TL;DR

Get yourself elected delegate in a GCR and you can tag raid the place :p

In fact, over a third of GCRs primarily have delegates who tag them for external organisations. :P
The Pacific Alpine Commonwealth of Mount Seymour
a.k.a. Somyrion, Aumeltopia
Security Council #212
Issue #640

Marilyn Manson Freaks
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Marilyn Manson Freaks » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:20 pm

McChimp wrote:
Kanglia wrote:If only my name was Mark, lol

If only it were Saturnalia.
Hi, I'm Manson! I'm just your friendly neighborhood rockstar!
NS Join Date: November 6th, 2015

Here are some things I've authored.

Jobs & Positions
4th Generation Fishmonger
Founder of the Church of Zyonn
NRO Stooge

Kanglia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanglia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Marilyn Manson Freaks wrote:
McChimp wrote:

If only it were Digiorno & not delivery
Senior Warden in TGW. Usual commander of the UDSAF. Constantly snarky.
Views here are my own and not representative of any affiliation unless otherwise stated.
Always watching

Wabbitslayah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 19, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Wabbitslayah » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Kanglia wrote:

I use Papa Murphy's.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Marilyn Manson Freaks
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marilyn Manson Freaks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Wabbitslayah wrote:
Kanglia wrote:

I use Papa Murphy's.

Gross.

Papa John's all the way.

Jobs & Positions
NRO Stooge

Wabbitslayah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 19, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Wabbitslayah » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Wabbitslayah wrote:I use Papa Murphy's.

Gross.

Papa John's all the way.

Do you even know what it is?
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Warden Roavin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 04, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Warden Roavin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:55 am

I just stumbled upon this again while looking for something else. I had posted this just before the thread was locked and I had forgotten about it, which is why I didn't follow up on it elsewhere.

Warden Roavin wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:I>There have been multiple complains about excessive recruitment. To this day, we have members "swarmed" in their DM's out of nowhere by several wardens at once, badgering them to try defending. That's on the mild end of things that have happened. Are you referring in your post to the time that your org practically gave someone a panic attack with how hard they pushed them to try TGW?

We stopped complaining about that, among other things, because concerns were never properly dealt with, and we surmised our concerns to be falling on deaf ears. Instead, we warn our folks that it may happen, and to not have reservations about blocking people if they're ever uncomfortable. Presumably, some of those warnings make up the logs being threatened.

That is Grade-A Prime-Cut USDA-Approved Bullshit.

TBH approached me and another Warden because of poaching. The antics were so over the top that it made that other Warden convinced they did something wrong, even though they didn't do anything wrong, but I'm not even going to complain about that. You then used as "proof" for some things screenshots that were maliciously taken out of context; my request to "put up or shut up" on other things were ignored. So of course I'm going to ignore that. Show me the juice, and I take care of it. And you know I do, because you mentioned another issue which was legitimate, and has been taken care of. That included filling in Jakker with meticulous details on what was done and why it was done.

I hope you retract that, because I have all these wonderful logs right here and I would love to invite the NSGP community to judge for themselves who's trying to bullshit who right now. Specifically, I think the sauce on how you misconstrued the situation with Money would really work well to uphold your "classy" image.

(Note: "you" in the above refers to you plural, as you weren't one of the individuals reaching out)

So. Do I get a retraction?
Proud member of The Order of the Grey Wardens

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the opinions expressed in the above post are my own and not representative of any region I'm a part of.

The player of this nation primarily plays as Roavin.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 am

I don't think that's conducive to their most purist foreign policy objective, Roavin. Shame on you for condemning the spread of sensationalized fake news for the purposes of advancing the glorious raider empire!
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 am

Yeah I wouldn't hold your breath lol

The Noble Thatcherites
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Noble Thatcherites » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 am

McChimp wrote:

Io Saturnalia!
—Thatcher Whitehall
Kanglia wrote:Thatcher. Wants. As. Little. To. Do. With. You. All. As. Possible.
Résumé
The Union of Democratic States
Citizen and Founder
Prime Minister (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (x15)
Ambassador (x21)
Publisher for The Union Post (x5)
Constitutional Framer (x4)
The Free Nations Region
Citizen and Legislator
Justice (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (1x)
The Allied States
Citizen
Senator (x1)
FORGE
Representative (x4)
Chancellor (x1)
ITDA
Founder
Representative (x1)
Secretary General (x1)
Charter Author (x2)
Court of International Law and Justice
Foreign Affairs Justice (x1)
Europeia
Citizen and Assemblyman (x1)
The South Pacific
Citizen
SPSF Recruit (x1)

The Union of Democratic States

Marilyn Manson Freaks
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marilyn Manson Freaks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:12 pm

The Noble Thatcherites wrote:
Io Saturnalia!

Finally, someone who understands!

Praise Saturn! :bow:

Jobs & Positions
NRO Stooge

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:19 am

The Noble Thatcherites wrote:
Marilyn Manson Freaks wrote:If only it were Saturnalia.
Io Saturnalia!

I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go...
:(
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:21 am

@ Codger, I know you'll read this >:(

Was it an eraser that erased communists, or was it an eraser which itself was communist. I always thought the latter, but wish to know the reality.

Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece

Warwick Z Codger
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Warwick Z Codger » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:49 am

[code]
Tim-Opolis wrote:@ Codger, I know you'll read this >:(

Was it an eraser that erased communists, or was it an eraser which itself was communist. I always thought the latter, but wish to know the reality.

I intended it to be the latter, but people keep getting confused lol. In the end it turned out to be both? I erased the whole pre-communist era of EE working with Czechmate but I also erased the communist era as I was gradually allowed to gradually make EE my own?

(Thanks for giving me a chance instead of derailing the TGW thread).

I consider Czechmate and Eastern Europe to be best play made by a disgruntled resident. It deserves its notoriety much more than Yauna and Greece. With Czech we had an attempted hostile refound and SC Liberation but he was able to fool his region into thinking he changed his ways and somehow be elected delegate again. And then be able to fool the NS community into supporting the repeal of EE's liberation so he could password the region. AND he was able to pull off the refound under everyone's noses before a second liberation could be passed.

EE could have ended there as a trophy region if he didn't have the rogue luck of finding a Codger so interested in his story and willing to put so much effort into testing a crazy idea. With EE I wanted to experiment with the idea of "rewriting history" and it was more or less successful, recruiting and building community of players who wholly swallowed my propaganda story that cast Czechmate as a hero against an oligarchs/old guard community that colluded with defenders and rightfully deserved being booted.

There is a perverse acknowledgement (?) knowing how much I screwed those old natives, who was not only booted from their home and gloated by the hostile founder, but also seeing that the new natives (and by all definition they are natives, as new players who joined because they liked the EE I created) praise that founder but while they are demonised. You also can't argue that I didn't put a ton of work rebuilding EE; fake history aside, I created a fun, active region and recruited my arse off which is why people joined the region.

Eventually Czech's involvement got less and less and I was allowed to use the region to try out my other ideas, including Peacezone Theory (lol). I also introduced the line that is still in the current WFE "From tsars and revolutionaries to modern politics, from monarchies, socialists and the chaos of democracies, Eastern Europe accepts all nations." which re-opened EE for all nations and not just the Stalinist front Czech intended. The funny thing is that as my own involvement got less and less and I became a silent founder, EE has reverted back to what is was pre-Czech, a small sleepy region for minor RPers.

----

Anyways what's the point of this story?

1) If we are celebrating Greece for natives+defenders finally overcoming a hostile founder, we should also be impartial and celebrate the opposite in Eastern Europe, where Czech+I was able to create a new native community that idolised that that hostile founder and purged the goodwill for the previous natives.

2) EE > Greece, although if I knew which would be more famous I should have offered my services to Yauna instead of Czech. It would have been fun if Yauna Greece was built up as a alt-history RP region where Persians won the war and you had a situation where this new community of natives would be arguing for Greece's liberation to be repealed and Yauna's condemnation to be removed cause they all wholeheartedly believe "Yauna's a good guy who allowed this great alt history region to happen". Alas I could only choose one region.

3) I'm ok with telling this story now and no longer have to stay "in character", since it's 2017 and the original EE incident was in late 2010 and my actions working with Czech were in 2012-14. EE has gone through so many incarnations since then, first with my botched refounding and moving to Eastern European and then Predator which allowed me to gain EE's foundership. Also my non-involvement in the region allowing new residents to do their own things.
Last edited by Warwick Z Codger on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:53 pm

I've got to say, an "anonymous" puppet which is rather clearly a TBH-affiliated nation choosing to report someone for basically the same thing Moneyness already got a 'not actionable' for takes the cake on "Amusing things you see in Moderation" today. Personally, I'd be willing to bet that Green Iantern is in fact Money himself, since nation creation dates are in the same general vicinity, it used to be in Hasta (his old region's JP), and it reads like his writing, which makes it even more amusing.

Also Codger, that was a really cool read, though I'm not so sure about the celebration of idolizing the hostile founder bit.
Last edited by Tim-Opolis on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:25 pm

The word "Iantern" is annoying me a bit too.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay