NATION

PASSWORD

The Red Winter: A Russian Civil War RP [OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Red Winter: A Russian Civil War RP [OOC]

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:38 am

March 20th, 1920. Winter is having its last show of force as the city of Novorossiysk is dusted with a light snow with the strong bora building up a storm in the distance. What's left of the Russian navy under White Movement control and various Allied ships are docked in the Tsemes Bay preparing to evacuate the vast majority of the White Army under General Anton Denikin. However a force is needed to be left to keep the Red Army at bay long enough for the full evacuation. The Red Army is staked out in the hills over seeing the city, watching like hawks waiting to strike the city, the ships a sign of weakness, meaning they could strike.

You are one of two things, you are either a member of a squad of brave volunteers who have offered to guard an the rear of the retreating White Army, or a member of the Red Army assigned to a special assault squad meant to help break the back of the Whites defense and to assault the whites as they lay vulnerable in the Port of Novorossiysk. The Volunteer Squad is set up a defensive line at the northern edge of the city, a Main Street between a small hotel and a large Orthodox Cathedral, the street blocked off by sand bags and a minor defensive position taken to keep the Reds at bay as the rest of the 20,000 Whites prepare to hold the city for the eight days it will take to evacuate the 40,000 soldiers, usually the young and more viberent of the forces.

The fate of this war rest on your shoulders, will you finally crush the Bourgeoisie army as it attempts to limp to safety? Or will you hold the line and allows the Whites to fight another day against the Red Menace? These two units have the ability to shift the war, they are now on a collision course to which will determine the history of a nation. How will you influence the battle?

OOC

A Red Winter is a squad based military RP. You will apply as a member of either a White Army squad tasked with holding a section of road which leads straight to the Docks. Or you will apply as a member of a Red Army assault squad bend on taking control of the road to more easily allow the advancing read Army to strike at the retreating whites. This will be a self contained story with the small one block or so area where the micro-battle will take place. I will lead the Whites while my Co-Op Grestin will be leading the Reds. This RP will seek to tackle the possibilities of combat in weather below freezing and the hardships inherent to the Russian Civil War. Hopefully our goal will be met with spectacular results.

Rules

I'll make sure to keep this fairly short and make sure to hit all the important points.

1: OP (myself) is the Judge, Jury, and Executioner in this RP. I reserve the right to not accept people for any reason I see fit and extend this right to my Co-Op.

2: Keep things Civil, disagreements with others should be taken elsewhere and everyone should be treated with respect.

3: Keep things realistic, I know there are a bunch of cool little weapons you would like to use, but please make sure that they are realistic and obtained in a realistic manner. Do a bit of research before doing your load out a make sure it all makes sense. Also before you say anything yes I know one of the guys in the banner has an AKM, I didn't make the banner and to be fair beggers can be choosers.

4: Divorce Players from Characters, I know with dealing with a very divisive time in history and with groups with vastly different political views. However if things start getting heated and political in the OOC I will break it up and I will take measures to clean up the issues.

5: This goes hand and hand with rule 3 but is different enough to warrant its own rule. Keep characters realistic, I don't want super soldier communist badasses nor Fascist Communist Exterminators. The people of the Russian Civil War fought for various reasons and had complex motivations, we should treat this with respect rather than pumping everything full of campy b-movie their characters. Your character is most likely hungry and cold to the bone. Treat them realistically.

Each soldier has a specific role to fill in the composition of a squad. Given the unique nature of your jobs you will work within the squad to maintain its cohesiveness and combat effectiveness.

Rifleman: The Rifleman is the pinnacle of light infantry. Able to move freely on the battlefield and both kill and suppress the enemy. Armed with a rifle you are the multi-tool of the battlefield. Your fault however is your greatest strength, your versatility might make you able to take on any situation that comes up, your lack of specialization however makes you unable to properly defend and attack specific situations.

Grenadier: Grenadiers are those who hold a large number of explosives. Usually armed with a shorter rifle and a bag full of grenades. You can move around the battlefield and are meant to stay in the fray and use your explosives to suppress and thin out the opposing forces as well as assaulting fordified positions. You are at a disadvantage at close range, because you can not risk the threat of collateral damage, thus your greatest streangth is rendered moot.

Machine Gunner: Machine gunners are those who operate a Machine gun. You are tasked with mowing down enemies with a massive volume of fire, keep them from coming out and to keep them on the defense. You are a stationary soldier and thus are only armed with a pistol.

Assistant Machine Gunner: Like the name Implies you are tasked with helping a machine gunner, helping to load and keep the Machine gun working. You are also tasked with keeping the machine gunner safe and you're armed with a Carbine to help keep the machine gun safe from incroaching enemies.

Medic: Medics are mobile and fast moving infantryman who administers first aid to soldiers injured in combat, usually just enough to keep them in the fight. Armed with a regular rifle and a bag of various medical supplies, usually a small amount of penicillin, medical wrap, tweezers, and a small stitching kit, they also have a revolver meant to put a man out if he's he's to hurt to work on.

Marksman: Armed with the very long Mosin–Nagant M91 rifle they are tasked with staying slightly behind the frontline and targeting individuals while being suppressed by the regular infantry. Armed with a 2x scope these marksman have shown themselves to be deadly efficient in combat.
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Equipment:[/b]
[b]Faction:[/b]
[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Biography:[/b]

Example App/My App

Name: Konstantin Rumyantsev
Appearance:

Equipment:
1x Mosin Nagant M91 "Dragoon"
1x Nagant M1895 Revolver
9x 5 round stripper clips of 7.62×54mmR (45 round total)
7x 7.62×38mmR rounds (enough for a fully loaded revolver)
2x 250 round canvase belts of .303 for the single 1905 Maxim gun.
Faction: White Army
Role: Squad Leader
Biography: Konstantin Rumyantsev was born in Gomel the oldest child of his aristocratic family. His father was a lesser noble of the Rumyatsev family and an officer in the Cavalry and his mother a socialite of Circassian decent who was fond of Tsar Alexander II an frequent entangled herself in that social group. Due to his fathers profession and rank among the imperial court Konstantin is subject to a classical and military education. He was taught mathematics, history, and even learned Latin while also being under the tutorship of several general of the army at the time.

In 1879 Konstantin finished his education and was offered if not expected to go into the military as an officer, however he declined and instead joined the French Foreign Legion as a Soldat. He was then sent to Africa where he served in the Second Franco-Dahomean War. In 1895 in returned to Russia and using his position was able to get an NCO possition in the infantry at the rank of Podpraporshchik in the Russia Far East where he was station near the Amur.

In 1904 his unit was on the front lines of the Russo-Japanese war. It was here that he distinguished himself as a command of the troops, he emphasized movement and was very dismissive of common tactics like ranked fire and bayonet charges preferring to have the men under his command be mobile and to shoot when they could. His unit was under the command of
General Kuropatkin and fought at the Battle of Liaoyang, Battle of Sandepu, and the Battle of Mukden where his unit was tasked with protecting a larger retreat. The larger Japanese forces broke through his defenses and crossed the Hun river where he was captured and held as a POW in Nagasaki until the end of hostilities.

After his return he was granted the rank of Poruchik for his distinguish service, after the war he moved to Petrograd where he taught young Officers in Training. When WWI broke out in 1914 Konstantin was placed under the command of General Brusilov on the Southwest Front. For the next 3 year he would fight in Galicia experiencing both victory and defeat but worst of all attempting to handle an increasingly frustrated and disillusioned conscript army. In 1917 after the events of the February Revolution he was restationed in the Kuban-Don region tasked with keeping the area calm.

Konstantin was an advocate of the Tsars abdication and was also supporting of the provisional government under Georgy Lvov and was openly a member of the Constitutional Democracy party, favoring a Parliamentry Constitutional Democracracy with or without a symbolic monarchy. His openness towards the revolution aided him to be terminated by his staunchly monarchist superiors, however after the events of the October Revolution Konstantin found himself reenlisted into the armed forces, this time as a NCO the rank of Yefreytor. Like many officers at the time he was subjected to being set as infantry as the newly emerging White Movement needed soldiers as its ranks were full of former imperial army officers. He served in the Volunteer Army under Anton Denikin and saw combat at the Battle of Tsaritsyn.

With the White Army in retreat, Konstantin now 46 years old volunteered to help lead one of the many units needed to help defend the city. He was given equipment and was tasked with holding a stretch or road between the Hotel Brukaev and the location Cathedral as it was one of the few road that lead directly to the docks. He now finds himself the leader of a suicide squad meant to die in order to defend the retreat.
WHITE ARMY

1: Squad Leader - Konstantin Rumyantsev - Insaeldor
2: Grenadier -
3: Machine Gunner -
4: Assistent Machine Gunner:
5: Medic -
6: Marksman - Misha Yuri - Hatay
7: Rifleman -
8: Rifleman -

RED ARMY

1: Squad Leader - Katya Deckard - New Grestin
2: Grenadier -
3: Medic -
4: Marksman -
5: Rifleman -
6: Rifleman -
7: Rifleman -
8: Rifleman -
Last edited by Insaeldor on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Song-Lu
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Song-Lu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 am

tag.
RED ARMY IS THE STRONKEST!!! YOU CAN'T STOP THE BIAS!!!

The Grand Rift
Attaché

Founded: Oct 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Rift » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:08 am

Tag

Goverment Of The Argentinian State
Envoy

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Goverment Of The Argentinian State » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:13 am

Would anyone be interested in an RP based on the Civil War as a whole?
El sistema constitucional del siglo pasado está caduco. El ejército es la última
aristocracia, vale decir la última posibilidad de organización jerárquica que
nos resta entre la disolución demagógica.

- Leopoldo Lugones

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 am

Goverment Of The Argentinian State wrote:Would anyone be interested in an RP based on the Civil War as a whole?

Not exactly good etiquette to try and formulate an RP on someone else's thread, especial when it's new and you have no prior history with me or the RP as it stands right now. This question is fine to ask your friends and confidants but I consider it extremely rude to it on someone else's thread.

If you're not interested in participating then do not post.

Edit: Looking back on your posts in the Cafe I'll add to this, I get that you're interested in participating and being a part of a Russian Civil War RP that has a larger scope than this one. But you should have pointed out that in the cafe rather than on my thread. I can see that I took a slightly harsh tone with you and now seeing the previous context I can see there wasn't any misintent with you post. Still it's something that isn't taken in high regard and it'll usually result in a similar way as it did with me.
Last edited by Insaeldor on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Faal Dovah
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Faal Dovah » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 am

I always wonder why the White Army called itself white.... oh well, tag

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:19 am

I'm here too.

App coming soon.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 am

New Grestin wrote:I'm here too.

App coming soon.

Any prospect Soviet characters listen up, this guys your squad leader.

Kentucky Fried Land
Ambassador

Founded: May 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kentucky Fried Land » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Tag.
Last edited by Kentucky Fried Land on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't know what I'm s'posed to do.

INFP (obligatory? probably)

Hatay
Minister

Founded: Mar 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatay » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Name: Misha Valeri
Appearance:

Equipment:
1x Mosin Nagant M91 with Scope
1x Nagant M1895 Revolver
x20 Loose 7.62×54mmR Rounds
x4 5 Round Stripper Clips of 7.62×54mmR Rounds
6x 7.62×38mmR rounds
Role: Marksman
Biography:
Misha Valeri was born in 1891 to an upper middle class family with a history of military tradition. His father a Major in the Imperial Army, and his mother a daughter of a noble family. Brought up in a conservative, religious faith, he was grown up with the idea of a benevolent "Father Tsar." He loved the Emperor and the Imperial family. He considered becoming a Monk, but in the end entered the Cadet Corp and became a skilled young Cadet. In the days of 1905, his conservative religious faith tied him to the Holy Tsar, and the sacred monarchical order, and got some experience patrolling street corners against the radical rebels.

At the same time, he began to gain skill as a sniper. By the times the thunder of war reached Russia in the Summer of 1914, Misha was ready. Serving as a rifleman and sniper in the war, he served under General Nikolay Iudovich Ivanov. He saw victory, rising to the rank of Lieutenant, and defeat, but mostly defeat. Catastrophic, miserable defeat. He saw so many problems with the Russian Army, and knew how to fix it and vowed to do so. Writing to commanders, but of course his mail never got to where they where supposed to go.

In 1917, a revolution began in the army. He staunchly opposed any change to the firm, established, holy monarchy. When a few squads in his unit tried to rebel, he helped put it down. But as time went on and his battalion scattered and most troops had mutinied successfully, he began to realize that Emperor Nicholas II was not the right man to lead the nation. He tearfully backed the abdication, but then fervently opposed revolution, and the February Revolution was seen as high treason to him. When that happened he was deployed to the Donbass region. When the treacherous, godless October Revolution took place, he joined the White Movement with fervor, and saw action in the area against Red Army and Black Army forces and volunteered to defend his brothers in the city. And he was ready to die to do this.
Last edited by Hatay on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Long live Democracy!
R.I.P Tuva SSR, Unjustly deleted on 8/30/2014

Back on NS, hello! Feel free to TG. Canon and History is (largely) the same.

No Internet July 1-July 16

Faal Dovah
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Faal Dovah » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Can the Marksman role be reserved for me, please?

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Hatay wrote:Name: Misha Yuri
Appearance:

Equipment:
1x Nagant M1895 Revolver
6x 7.62×38mmR rounds
Biography:
Misha Yuri was born in 1891 to an upper middle class family with a history of military tradition. His father a Major in the Imperial Army, and his mother a daughter of a noble family. Brought up in a conservative, religious faith, he was grown up with the idea of a benevolent "Father Tsar." He loved the Emperor and the Imperial family. He considered becoming a Monk, but in the end entered the Cadet Corp and became a skilled young Cadet. In the days of 1905, his conservative religious faith tied him to the Holy Tsar, and the sacred monarchical order, and got some experience patrolling street corners against the radical rebels.

At the same time, he began to gain skill as a sniper. By the times the thunder of war reached Russia in the Summer of 1914, Misha was ready. Serving as a rifleman and sniper in the war, he served under General Nikolay Iudovich Ivanov. He saw victory, rising to the rank of Lieutenant, and defeat, but mostly defeat. Catastrophic, miserable defeat. He saw so many problems with the Russian Army, and knew how to fix it and vowed to do so. Writing to commanders, but of course his mail never got to where they where supposed to go.

In 1917, a revolution began in the army. He staunchly opposed any change to the firm, established, holy monarchy. When a few squads in his unit tried to rebel, he helped put it down. But as time went on and his battalion scattered and most troops had mutinied successfully, he began to realize that Emperor Nicholas II was not the right man to lead the nation. He tearfully backed the abdication, but then fervently opposed revolution, and the February Revolution was seen as high treason to him. When that happened he was deployed to the Donbass region. When the treacherous, godless October Revolution took place, he joined the White Movement with fervor, and saw action in the area against Red Army and Black Army forces and volunteered to defend his brothers in the city. And he was ready to die to do this.

Are you sure you want to use the Dragoon variant of the M91? Also Yuri is more a first name than a last name. However these aren't that serious.

Aside from the above question I don't see anything glaringly wrong with your application, Accepted

Faal Dovah wrote:Can the Marksman role be reserved for me, please?

It's first come first serve, only exception is New Grestin and that is because he is Co-Op.
Last edited by Insaeldor on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hatay
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatay » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Insaeldor wrote:
Hatay wrote:Name: Misha Yuri
Appearance:

Equipment:
1x Nagant M1895 Revolver
6x 7.62×38mmR rounds
Biography:
Misha Yuri was born in 1891 to an upper middle class family with a history of military tradition. His father a Major in the Imperial Army, and his mother a daughter of a noble family. Brought up in a conservative, religious faith, he was grown up with the idea of a benevolent "Father Tsar." He loved the Emperor and the Imperial family. He considered becoming a Monk, but in the end entered the Cadet Corp and became a skilled young Cadet. In the days of 1905, his conservative religious faith tied him to the Holy Tsar, and the sacred monarchical order, and got some experience patrolling street corners against the radical rebels.

Are you sure you want to use the Dragoon variant of the M91?

Aside from the above question I don't see anything glaringly wrong with your application, Accepted

Thank you!

What variant would be best? I shall edit.
Last edited by Hatay on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long live Democracy!

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Hatay wrote:
Insaeldor wrote:

Thank you!

It's the kinda thing where it's not bad but there are definetly better option. The original Mosin-Nagant M91 is a full rifle and thus generated more velocity when fired. The Russian empire also had roughly 650,000 Type 30 and Type 38 Arisaka rifles around the time the war started, both are known for being very accurate and very light shooters so if you wanted to use them that be fine as well, you'd just lose out on be able to share ammo with your squad mates.

Hatay
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatay » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Insaeldor wrote:
Hatay wrote:

Thank you!

It's the kinda thing where it's not bad but there are definetly better option. The original Mosin-Nagant M91 is a full rifle and thus generated more velocity when fired. The Russian empire also had roughly 650,000 Type 30 and Type 38 Arisaka rifles around the time the war started, both are known for being very accurate and very light shooters so if you wanted to use them that be fine as well, you'd just lose out on be able to share ammo with your squad mates.

I edited to regular M91, my character never served in Amur or the Russo-Japanese War so I'll keep the Mosin Nagant.

Do you like my biography?
Long live Democracy!

Anderhold
Secretary

Founded: Sep 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Anderhold » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi this looks really interesting but i've never down a military based rp before,(i'm actually new to this site) can you tell me a little about it?

Murovanka
Minister

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Tag for applicantbased on Quiet flows the Don.
Your moderate, peaceful Salafi-German-Turko nation, promoter of peace, justice and democracy
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Hatay wrote:
Insaeldor wrote:It's the kinda thing where it's not bad but there are definetly better option. The original Mosin-Nagant M91 is a full rifle and thus generated more velocity when fired. The Russian empire also had roughly 650,000 Type 30 and Type 38 Arisaka rifles around the time the war started, both are known for being very accurate and very light shooters so if you wanted to use them that be fine as well, you'd just lose out on be able to share ammo with your squad mates.

I edited to regular M91, my character never served in Amur or the Russo-Japanese War so I'll keep the Mosin Nagant.

Sounds good either way, and I did enjoy reading the bio.

Anderhold wrote:Hi this looks really interesting but i've never down a military based rp before,(i'm actually new to this site) can you tell me a little about it?

All information is self contained in the OP. That said this may not be a good RP to be your first, I don't plan on pull any stops and this will be an RP where characters are going to die, I do expect a high degree of realize. Not to say that this is an RP you'd be unable to participate in but rather it might not be a good first introduction to RP especially on this forum.

Hatay
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatay » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Insaeldor wrote:
Hatay wrote:I edited to regular M91, my character never served in Amur or the Russo-Japanese War so I'll keep the Mosin Nagant.

Great! My character may have disagreements with yours, but we fight for Russia together! :)

What would a first post be like?
Long live Democracy!

Qashistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Qashistan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Tag.

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Hatay wrote:
Insaeldor wrote:

Great! My character may have disagreements with yours, but we fight for Russia together! :)

For me I'd be setting the atmosphere and making sure everyone knows where they are suppose to be, setting up the stage for the battle. For you guys it would be to get your character ready for the battle, I'll a lot just enough time for preparation before we really dive deep into the battle.

Hatay
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hatay » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Insaeldor wrote:
Hatay wrote:

For me I'd be setting the atmosphere and making sure everyone knows where they are suppose to be, setting up the stage for the battle. For you guys it would be to get your character ready for the battle, I'll a lot just enough time for preparation before we really dive deep into the battle.

Thanks! Will you make a map to help, or can you suggest where a marksman would be for the White Army?
Long live Democracy!

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Postby Insaeldor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Hatay wrote:
Insaeldor wrote:For me I'd be setting the atmosphere and making sure everyone knows where they are suppose to be, setting up the stage for the battle. For you guys it would be to get your character ready for the battle, I'll a lot just enough time for preparation before we really dive deep into the battle.

Thanks! Will you make a map to help, or can you suggest where a marksman would be for the White Army?

Eh I'm not exactly a map maker, that said the area of battle should be easy enough to understand.

Thevwhites are holding a defensive line on a important road, in between a Orthodox Cathedral and a small Hotel. The defensive line is little more than a wall of sand bags with a machinegun and obviously is eight men. You can choose to stay behind the front line and pick pearls off at ground level or perch yourself on the church or hotel. I'll let you make that call.

Baratoa
Secretary

Founded: Jul 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Baratoa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Tag

Faal Dovah
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Faal Dovah » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:45 am

Name: Yakov Ivanovich
Appearance:

Equipment:
Nagant M1895
Mosin-Nagant M1891 with a 2x scope
Military identity card
10 7.62×54mmR clips
14 7.62×38mmR
a pack of cigarettes
a small picture of his mother
Faction: Red Army
Biography: Born in Siberia and natural-born hunter, came to Moscow for work, joined the Underground communists, participated in the revolution. Regarded as a good marksman. (short and simple, no?)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse