NATION

PASSWORD

The Benthic Zone (Mystery Horror) IC/CLOSED

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Kentucky Fried Land
Ambassador

Founded: May 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

The Benthic Zone (Mystery Horror) IC/CLOSED

Postby Kentucky Fried Land » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:54 pm

OOC

Part 1: The Harvest Season

”Her name was Sarah Rose Marcus
And they found her rotten carcass
Behind the wallpaper
With parents that hate her
Who stuffed her into the bleak darkness.”
- Anonymous

”O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.”
- Walt Whitman

It was a quiet night, one full of vile mischief. The town of Plymouth slumbered, while devils pranced under the black sky above, giggling and laughing at the anguish of this night, oh this quiet night. The people, ignorant, laid in their cozy homes. Some of them slept, some of them bickered, some of them laughed, some of them drank, and some of them sat in thought. But all of them were oblivious to what lay outside their boundaries, what was waiting from them with eager contempt, a beast of men. The prancing devils chortled and guffawed in the dead of night, while villains carried out misdeeds. All under Him. All for Him. Him.

What was He? Nobody was certain; other than it was Him. And they loved Him. They adored Him. The devils loved Him, the Him that provided them with their entertainment in the silence of the night, the Him that gave them the nourishment of bloodlust they so needed. And those who loved Him were active tonight, and this was why the devils were prancing and singing and holding hands and laughing and drinking and partying. Because it was Him who fed them, and it was Him who birthed them.

This was the reason they loved Him.

Chapter 1 - At the Break of Dawn

They had found the body in the wee hours of the morning. Eddie Tucker and his boyfriend Josh Doris stood by at close attention, said founders shivering in the Massachusetts morning. It was the 28th of September, 2016, and the body was sprawled out over a blanket of yellow polyester, or what was once the body recovery system used to recover the bloated cadaver. The Massachusetts State SCUBA team had pulled the body out of the water maybe fifteen minutes ago, and they were off to the side fiddling with their masks and tanks and giant flippers covering their feet. The body of the John Doe sat staring up into the dawning sky; rather, it would be if it had eyes.

The gray skin of the man (made obvious by the parts flopping between its legs) gleamed in the rising sun, patches of flesh gone from his body in randomly picked spots. A lot of his belly was gone, revealing bone and organs liquefying on the inside. One of the divers mentioned seeing a fish swim out of the gore, making his own stomach go topsy turvy. The man’s eyes had been picked out by sea life, fingers snipped and chewed upon by crabs. His toes were almost entirely gone, chewed on by some fish now roaming the sea with their bellies filled.

His ears were chomped off too, and there was quite the dent in the back of his head. Most of his lips and cheeks were gone, and his rotten teeth protruded from the gashes. The man was around fifty pounds overweight. He was middle aged, maybe 40 or 50, and he had no hair. Whether this was from prolonged decomposition or the man being balding was uncertain. One thing that was certain was that the man’s face was entirely unrecognizable. And one more thing about his mouth; his tongue had been separated by something a long time ago. Not a fish’s lips, nor a lobster’s pincers, but rather something had cut his tongue out.

The man was entirely naked, save for a wet and ragged pair of socks stuck to his feet, the toes of the socks missing respectively with the toes of the wearer. The crime scene photographers were just finishing up, fishing over the photos they had grabbed on the corpse sitting on the beach. Thus left the detectives. It was likely the two lovebirds would require some counseling… but not before a few questions. A few locals looked over the barricade and police tape, some of the officers on the scene ushering them away. One of them had been let through, however. An older man with gray hair and a Brixton snap cap stood, looking around with impatience. He looked at the detectives, eyes inviting at least one of them towards him.

Cecil S. Lyle stood at the bottom of the lighthouse, feet resting on the rocking boat that was docked to the Duxbury Pier Light. He had taken the detectives out on his Boston Whaler, a boat he had cherished ever since he bought it about four years back. He had saved up a shit ton of money for the lass; and sometimes, when in his darkest moments, he had brief consideration of having sex with his boat. Only in his darkest moments, however. In his lightest ones, he would buy it a drink before he fucked it.

He scratched at his greasy, unwashed beard down below. Old Cecil had a near heart attack when he walked through the lighthouse. He had noticed a slippery trail swerving and careening around the living quarters and watchroom, both of which hung over the water cistern below. He paid no attention to anything the detectives might find useful; he was too dim and too unaware to follow anything but this trail. It reach it’s natural ending point in the lantern room, where he found the dead body.

A naked woman, propped over the railing of the lantern room as if she were admiring the view. She would admire no more views however; as evident by the smell, the gray skin, and the flies buzzing about her, the woman was dead. Her ankles and wrists were bound, and strangely all of her hair was gone. Rather, it had been replaced by rolls of gauze after rolls of gauze, covering her entire head and face up entirely. She seemed otherwise perfectly content with staying in her fixed position for the rest of eternity.

“Oh gosh, I hope Ms. Speece is alright, oh wow.” Martha Speece’s landlord whimpered as he fumbled with the keys in her doorknob. He was a small man; frail, short, and pale. His hair was plain brown and his teeth were plain white. His hands shook, still not working quite right after his bout with adrenaline and his lack of coffee that morning. He had been awoken with a start by the police, who had since informed him of two figures seen rummaging in Martha’s rental home. Martin Davis, that was the landlord’s name, had immediately shook and acted apologetic for this. He spoke of Speece, repeating that he hoped she was okay with an anxious aura.

Finally, he unlocked the door, and it gave way to a multitude of objects.

The hallway was filled to the brim with dressers and cardboard boxes. Teddy bears with button eyes and glass dolls with frilly dresses glared at the doorway. It was almost impossible to get through to the living room, where a sickening stench was made apparent. Martin gagged. He took a hand and rested on a oak dressed, taking a moment to regain himself. He threw his shirt up over his mouth, glancing down.

In the living room, a similar state of clutter had been made. More boxes and bottles and pinwheels and model cars and assorted garbage thrown about. The couch was covered in scrapbooks and jewelry. The drawers of some of the dressers had been left open; some empty, some full of earrings and golden Rolex watches. There were several closed doors leading out of the living room and out of the hallway as well, plain white and unchanged since Speece had moved in. The wallpaper in the living room and hallway were the same shabby chic damask wallpaper. The living room was dimly lit by a single lamp, still turned on.

On the walls were family photos. Some of young infants in wooden frames, some of black and white bald men with big noses and round glasses. Some of the photos of young teenagers, and some of young adults, were turned upside down. In fact, even some of the black and white photos of frail old women were upside down. Why, it was seemingly random in the choice of which ones to turn right side up.

Martin noted the three rooms from the living room; the first one being to the master bedroom, the second to the first guest room, and the third leading into the kitchen. Nearing the kitchen door, Martin noticed the smell only grew stronger. He backed away from it, legs quaking in fear. He noted the two rooms in the hallway as leading into the second guest room and the bathroom. The intruders could be hiding out there, if they hadn’t skedaddled already.

Sitting in front of Chiltonville Congregational Church was Katherine “Kate” Sparks’ used 2011 Acura, painted red and shining in the morning sun. It was dusty, as she hadn’t quite washed it in a while. It sat abandoned in a ditch, where a patrol car had stumbled across it early in the morn. Every door to the inside was open, left that way from when the patrolman had found it. He had shone a light inside, finding absolutely no sign of a person.

The trunk was open too; inside there was nothing noticeable. The road was due for an investigation as well, as some officers seemed to be crowding around one spot by the asphalt. Another thing to notice was that the car’s fender had a huge dent in it; whether this was recent or from some past fender bender remained up for debate. All that anyone knew was that Kate Sparks was missing. And so were all of her things.
Last edited by Kentucky Fried Land on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what I'm s'posed to do.

INFP (obligatory? probably)

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Det. James Bowen, Massachusetts Investigation Unit 1

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

Bullshit. Detective Bowen thought to himself as he took a sip from the silver flask filled with Jack Daniels whiskey.The solitary confinement of the car while light rain poured down without rest gave Bowen a sense of comfort, the silver flask on his hand only reinforced said comfort. The pain that wouldn't go away by any other means than inebriation. He didn't enjoy drinking, in fact he hated it, but it gave him relief and made him feel that things were not so bad. The detective took a look at the silver flask, the engraving of John 8:32 didn't make him feel any particular holy thoughts, it only fueled his anger and frustration. Bowen was in pain, a pain that was not physical, one that couldn't go away from just a few pills and a good night rest, this pain filled him with a deep depression that he could only hide.

The buzzing sound of a phone took Bowen off from his sorrow. He looked for the phone and found it on his coat's pocket. He looked at it, the screen with the name "Amelia." Bowen turned off the call without a single thought. He looked out the windows, the detectives gathering as he had remained behind in his car. Just arriving to the scene but taking his time before getting out.

James passed his hands through his face and finally decided to get out of the car, taking the coffee cup he had bought from Starbucks before arriving to the scene. He opened the door to reveal a very bipolar morning, a grey sky with small patches of blue and the sun gleaming through the clouds, Bowen was blinded for a few seconds, the alcohol was not serving him well. Eventually his vision recuperated and with calm and short steps, trying to hide his lacking sleep, he took a few sips of the coffee it tasted horrible, like charcoal with sugar. He looked around, bunch of curious eyes everywhere, but a person caught his attention for a second or two. He looked old and with a face that didn't speak friendliness, but he was allowed to go through he police line, maybe Bowen would talk to him later.

Finally James got to the others, an officer was there to explain the scene, at least before the detectives began their investigation.

"We got to get better coffee next time. What do we got?" Bowen asked as he took another sip from the coffee, hiding his sheer disgust.
Last edited by Arengin Union on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:54 pm

Officer Gabriel Vaz

"What the hell?" I said softly to myself. Martin fell back unwilling to go futher into the house. I looked over at Martin and then back to the door frame where the stench was sifting through. It wasn't exactly my favorite thing to think but I had a feeling if we crossed that threshold we'd fined out where Ms. Speece is. The stench was had a heat to it, it seemed unnaturally horrific.

"Ms. Speece." I called out, I knew the enebitable truth. I called for her in the hopes that I was wrong, hoping it was just a cat and Ms. Speece was to hold and feeble to take care of it. I hoped it wasn't what I thought it was. Martin noted the possibility of the attackers still being in the home. I reached for M&P9, the grip MY in comparison to my personal weapon Fat and overly textured. I slipped it out of my holster and got it ready, pointing it down but keeping it to where I could flick it up right in a heartbeat I took the lead and made my way into the kitchen.

Once I entered I was greater by a sight nearly 37 years on the force couldn't have prepared me for. I recoiled in horror and disgust as I saw the old woman's body laying on the floor. She was bloated to the point of bursting, he extremities shriveled and hosting the worst of the decayed flesh. It was almost like she had been melting into the floor with a viscous soup material surrounding her as well as the fair share of blood. She looked all to much like a George Romaro zombie, fleshing falling off the bone as it's structure is assault by nature. She was facebown, thank god because I'd hate to see what she would look like at this point. If I had to guess I'd say she'd been here many two weeks possibly longer. I wasn't an expert on body decay though so I'd have to leave that up to Sabrina.

"Jesus Christ!" I said, a verbal reaction to the disgusting scene before me. I walked back to the room where the landlord was staying in out of fear, the little man was only able to pick in like a child when I went in.

"Well, we've got a dead body. I'm not sure what caused it but she's been there awhile. As for those intruders I'm guessing it was neighbourhood kids looking to cause trouble, they started to mess around with her stuff before the found the body and left. We're gonna fishing inspecting the property and then will get the Coroner and paramedics in here." I told him. It was never easy to tell a person someone has died, but I've made these announcements all to often though never in such a sad situation.

"Uradel! Finish checking the rooms. Coroner has this job for right now." I told him. Right now it seemed just another tragic day when such sad thing occurrs, but to say felt different, the air felt heavy and dark. I had a bad feeling... but for what I don't know.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011

Postby Cylarn » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:44 am

Emma and I stood shoulder-to-shoulder in our bathroom, the mirror big enough to encompass us both. I brushed my teeth with my white-handled toothbrush, making sure to thoroughly clean every tooth in my mouth. Thankfully, the Cope hadn't rotted them out yet. I looked at my reflection; I was shirtless, clad in a pair of grey pants that did nothing to obscure my six-pack. I felt tired, and my eyes certainly had bags underneath them to betray how tired I was. Uppers.

My eyes drifted over to Emma. Her long brown hair was pulled into a ponytail, still dark and damp from her shower. Work did not have her scheduled for today, so that warranted a black sports bra and a pair of grey shorts. Not surprising, she was bereft of makeup. Did she need to be dolled up? Not in the slightest. With an athletic physique and those charming blue eyes of hers, she needed nothing to alter her appearance for the better.

I looked away from the mirror, set my toothbrush down, and reached into my open drawer. My eyes focused on the orange bottle stuffed down inside; the label read "Vyvanse, 120mg/day." Guidelines, I thought. I picked up the pill bottle and attempted to open it.

Nothing.

I heard a chuckle, and shifted my gaze upwards to see Emma's reflection, a big grin on her face. My gaze turned to the actual source, and despite the fact that she was chuckling at me and smiling, I could see the disappointment in her eyes. It was the same look she gave me when I swallowed a Percocet and gulped down a Miller Lite. Emma was the first person I ever truly opened myself up, and she knew - as every drug abuse counselor knew - that my addiction was not something that I could just cut off. She wanted me desperately to get help.

Get help? If I went out the door and checked myself into detox, I couldn't go to her work and get it done. If I chose to now, then my career would be in shambles. It's that fear; the fear of exposing myself to my fellow cops as a druggie. That's how they would see me; as just another pill-head who just happened to be wearing a badge.

We both looked away, our gazes turning back to what we were doing. My right palm pressed down on top of the bottle, and I felt the simple mechanisms of the bottle un-restrict itself. I removed the top, used my fingers to reach in and grab two orange and white pills. Bottoms up. I popped both pills into my mouth and reached for my glass of water.

The TV in the kitchen was on as Emma cooked a delicious breakfast of eggs, sausage, and grits. As I sat at the kitchen table, with Hondo sitting across from me, I took in the news.

"...Four men were found dead on Wray Street yesterday evening, with authorities judging the cause to be heroin overdoses..."

Emma turned her head to look at the TV, as pictures of the deceased appeared on the screen. She sighed, disappointment clear in her tone.

"I treated all four of those guys, Tom. They've got kids, newborns for some of them. I want to feel sad for them, but I can't."

I took a sip of my coffee. Black, all robust and unbridled. The mug stayed in my hand as I looked at her, garnering her facial expression.

"Emma, we both know that they chose to shoot up. You didn't stick those dirty-ass needles in their veins."

"Addiction isn't a choice."

I nodded. It was the truth; you could choose to shoot up some Brown, but choosing addiction? Addiction isn't a choice. I had been there, with pain pills. Hell, I didn't start taking them because I liked their taste; I took them because I didn't want to feel that sharp pain in my left hand, where Donny McGowan stabbed me with a butterfly knife during a traffic stop. I was on the prescribed dosage, and then came that extra pill. After that came another, and another, and another. You don't know how bad it is until you hit rock bottom; I hit that point when I raised my hand at Emma, and ended the night with two bodies at my feet and four slugs in my back.

I thought for a minute about how to respond. Emma did her best not to bring her work home, but being a substance abuse counselor during the nationally-reported opioid epidemic made that hard. I was saved from a response by something innocuous, innocent even.

"NO DOG! NO NO NO NO!" Hondo yelled, as my husky, Stella, jumped up to lick Hondo as he sat in his high chair, her paws in his mushy, syrup-soaked pancake. Both Emma and I immediately snapped our heads to see Hondo shutting his eyes, trying in vain to push the dog away. We both started to laugh. Hondo found it less amusing, and started to cry out of frustration.

"Stella! Come here!" Emma called out between laughs.

The medium-sized husky broke away from Hondo and turned her attention to Emma, trotting over to her before jumping up to put her paws on the counter, staring at the food. As I laughed, my phone decided to chime in with an audible beep. I sighed, picking up the Galaxy from the table and opening the screen.

Welfare check. Possible death investigation.

I rolled my eyes and stood up from the table. Emma looked back at me.

"Duty calls?"

I nodded.

"Duty calls."

I could see flashes of blue and red in the distance, out over by the apartment complex in question. Drawing closer, I saw a handful of cops standing in front of a crowd of concerned citizens. I hardly needed to hear them to know what was the talk of the town. A marked Crown Vic sat parked on the shoulder, just before the already-crowded parking lot, so I pulled my unmarked Durango in behind it. I looked at myself in the rearview mirror before stepping out.

Black tie with a perfect knot, even with my gig line? Check.

P226 in its retention holster? Cuffs at the small of my back? Two mags at 11 o'clock? Badge beside of the mags, with my belt buckle flanking the other side? Check.

I held up my right hand, and took a moment to examine it. Shakes? None that I can see.

I grabbed the Navy blue raid jacket from the seat next to me. Embroidered on both sleeves and on the back was a single word, written in big white letters. POLICE. After shutting my Durango off, I climbed out and slid into the jacket. I looked at the scene. Five-story buildings, folks are watching from every balcony and half that number standing in the parking lot. Group of officers in a stairwell, standing near yellow tape.

Bingo was his name-o.

I walked my way towards the building where the cops were and climbed the stairwell. Three flights later, and I was at the door. I nodded to the unis, and one of them lifted the tape to go inside. The apartment was a quintessential old lady's place. Old photos of her grandbabies on the wall, boxes stacked up all over the place, Bible verses; all that jazz. The only thing off-putting was the smell. It was a putrid smell, one of rotting flesh and shit and piss that had been left to stew for some time. Yep, a typical shut-in. I looked at the doorway, checking to see if the frame was disturbed by a possible intruder. Nothing.

Covering my nose, I could hear voices in the kitchen. Other detectives were at work; definitely my partners for the case. Entering the kitchen, I found both men staring at the decomposing corpse before us. I winced, but I reminded myself that this wasn't my first shut-in.

"The door is fine; doesn't appear like it got kicked in or anything," I said to the other two detectives.

My eyes drifted across the counter, looking for any suspicious, out-of-place items. Open pill bottles, spilled pills, disturbed clutter and kitchenware; anything that had an inkling of being disturbed.

"Anyone check her jewelry box yet?"
Last edited by Cylarn on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:33 am

It was 6.45 AM when detective Paul Devon pulled up to the beach in his white Ford Taurus. He'd been driving from Boston for the past hour or so, being early enough to avoid morning traffic. The sun had slowly risen to his left, now peaking just above the treeline, showering the land in a dim half-light, greyed out by the clouds above. Apart from two sets of red lights in front of them and the occasional white lights passing to his left, the Pilgrims Highway was abandoned. It was the best drive one could have in the morning: alone, in silence, leaving one to his thoughts.

Had it been any other day that would have been fine. Devon would have pondered wildlife, the trees and fields around him, the sounds of the early birds getting the worm. However, today was the 28th of September, 2016, and Devon had had a dream. He could not for the life of him remember what it had been amount, but he knew he had dreamt. It was a whole new experience; he did not dream regularly. He went to bed early, rose early, didn't snack past eight. Dreams were the stuff of thunderous nights, when the crack of lightning tore him from his sleep. Tonight had been quiet, if uncommonly cold, and nothing had given him cause to dream. But he had dreamt, and that dark void of conscious thought during his sleep nagged at his mind. He remembered only darkness. Just an endless field of black.

The icy September morning wind saluted him immediatly when he opened his car door. He shivered for a moment, taking his leather gloves from the glove box and pulling them thightly around his hands. He took his hat from the passanger seat and put that on as well before stepping out of the car, locking it behind him. The sand looked cold from where he stood, as did the sea beyond it. The sky looked cold, the parking lot looked cold... Indeed, the early joggers who'd come to look what was up looked cold as well. Even the sun, now rising clearly above the horizon, looked aquatic and cold, only piercing the cloud layer when the cold winds allowed it.

It didn't take long for Paul to spot what was amiss on the beach; the tell-tale yellow plastic was a red flag all on its own. On it lay... was laid the remains of what was clearly a man, devoured by the sea. The chief had not lied when he'd called him out of bed: it was pretty messed up. Paul had trouble keeping his eyes on the body, something in his being compelled him to look down, to look the other way. A feeling of dread welled up in him, something he had the utmost difficulty to control. For a moment, he thought about getting back in the car, and locking himself in. This was strange; Paul had never had any difficulty with looking at the dead. This was certainly not the first person he'd seen dragged out of the deep looking like that, they were the rule rather than the exception. Drunks, swimmers, sunday sailors... All of them looked the same after the sea had had its way with them. Still, this one was somehow revolting to Paul, who clenched his leather-clad fists to remain standing.

From the inside of his coat he took a steel pen and a booklet, turning open the former and opening the latter on a fresh page. He immediatly titled it:

"09/28/16 - Plymouth Beach - Body dragged from sea"

With his mobile phone he made a few pictures to complement: the beach, the body, the sea from where he stood. He wrote a small introduction.

"Body found by two divers in the night of 09/28/16 to 09/29/26. Body at medium decomposition, wearing only two socks. Face unrecognisable; fingers missing, fingerprinting impossible; belly eaten out; time of death hard to determine. 50 pounds overweight; 40-50 age range"

Paul wondered about the victim. Who was he? Where did he come from? What story did those hollow eyes tell? The body interested him, the feeling of dread interested him... it was a new feeling. Was he getting old? Was this how everyone felt near a body? How many times had he dragged someone from the deep abyss? The man, only socks on his feet... A drunk going for a swim, perhaps? That would explain the lack of clothing. Still, the feeling... There was something about the body. Something he had not seen yet, something he still had to find out.

With the steel end of his pen, Paul started prodding the victim. With every prod, he felt more and more uneasy and alone, and he had to turn his head to look if his colleagues were still nearby. The skin was slimy and broke easily under his pen, the epidermis peeling off without much effort at all. Through the eaten-out cheeks and the rotten teeth, Paul spotted the tongue of the victim. Or rather, where the tongue should have bee. With his pen, Paul opened up the jaws, during which he felt some muscles snapping. The mouth was left in an unnatural position, inducing even more dread as it looked as if it were screaming. Inside the mouth, Paul could see the clear cut that had seperated the tongue from its base. Recently, too: this was no long-standing wound. Paul looked for James Bowie, who had just arrived as well. He didn't look particularly happy, although Paul was not one to notice.

"James, have a look at this" he said, answering the man's call for explanation. As James came closer, Paul pointed with his steel pen. With a hushed voice, he spoke on, making sure the two lovebirds would not hear them.

"Male, 40 - 50 years, only clothed in socks. Drawn from the water about 20 minutes ago. I thought it might be a drunken swimmer, but look at the tongue... A straight cut. We might want to ask each of the gentlemen a few questions, alone. We don't want them matching alibis"
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Postby Arengin Union » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:///Snip///

It didn't take long for Bowen to get an explanation, it was Devon, a good detective, but very cold and calculative as far as James knew. He got closer to inspect the body, Devon pointing out the details with his pen as James looked at the body with a straight face. It looked like something far from a human being, like one of those Wendigos his grandpa used to tell him stories about. The flesh pale and the lack of eyes, eaten by the critters of the sea, James didn't even feel unease, he had seen pretty fucked up shit in his years as young as he was he had developed a strong stomach through the years.

James handed the coffee to one of the officer nearby as he put on his latex gloves and took a knee to inspect the body, he took a hold of the jaw and opened the mouth. Clean cut, this wasn't a fish, this was a blade no doubt about that. James then examined the neck, small bruises along the jugular. James kept looking around the body for a few seconds but then stood up to Devon who spoke in a hush manner.

"We might want to ask each of the gentlemen a few questions, alone. We don't want them matching alibis." Devon said, still a hush tone.

James took off the latex gloves and set them aside in the yellow plastic. He then nodded to Devon's words.

"I agree... I'll take one, you take the other. Or if you want we go one by one together. I don't think they have nothing to hide. Also, I think I have an idea of the cause of death but I rather wait till the coroner's report." James took a break from speaking as he rubbed his eyes, he still felt kinda drowsy.

The detective continued, "By the cut, I think it was a blade. Probably a short one, it must have been a pretty good one too, or the one that did it has a good ability. We should look around the scene quick. Anyways, lets question the two lovey boys." James began walking to the two possible suspects, he waved Devon to follow.
Last edited by Arengin Union on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do as I please"

Anowa
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Anowa » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Kentucky Fried Land wrote:A naked woman, propped over the railing of the lantern room as if she were admiring the view. She would admire no more views however; as evident by the smell, the gray skin, and the flies buzzing about her, the woman was dead. Her ankles and wrists were bound, and strangely all of her hair was gone. Rather, it had been replaced by rolls of gauze after rolls of gauze, covering her entire head and face up entirely. She seemed otherwise perfectly content with staying in her fixed position for the rest of eternity.

Det. Michael Holloway
Mass. State Police

Lighthouse Case

20 years of doing shit like this gave someone both a strong stomach and sensory constitution. Waving the flies away Holloway approached the woman, taking note of everything that could factor in to her death or who caused it.

From this angle Michael didn't see much to indicate cause of death.Bruises were evident on her back, shoulders, and what looked like neck, and given the shape of them all they were inflicted by someone's meaty hands. That alone wrote a number of COD's off the list, but added a number more, her neck was still in a normal shape, so a broken vertebrae was out of the picture. The tricle of blood that worked it's way down the woman's legs indicated that she was menstruating when she died, or was sexually assaulted prior or, God forbid, after her death. There wasn't much else to go on other than the overly tight restraints, nearly digging into her calves and wrists. The detectives present would need to pull her off the railing and lay her down on the floor to get a better look at things.

Pulling a pair of polyurethane gloves from his pocket, Holloway motioned to McNamara, "Mac, help me get her off the railing."

The big man stepped forward, gloves of his own on, "Gotcha."

With that, the old burly teddy bear and the former Marine pulled the now rigid corpse from the railing and set her upon the concrete foundation. Immediately Holloway spoke, "Ingestion then, unless she bled out from her groin."

There were no external wounds or signs of blood besides that which was trailing out of her unmentionables. Glancing at the wrappings around her head, Holloway adjusted himself before starting to undo them After about a minute of working at it, he saw the woman's face, she was a pretty girl, young. Her teeth were rotten, not from decay but from bad hygiene, she was likely from a low income household. She also had no hair at all which was a red flag.

Holloway stated his findings, "Airway isn't collapsed which leaves out strangulation, meaning that a blood choke is possible, but with facial coloration, unlikely. Dental hygiene likely stems from a low income life, and bruises possibly indicate domestic abuse. The blood from her groin indicates that either she was menstruating or sexually assaulted. Lack of urine of fecal matter at the scene tells me she was killed elsewhere, and dumped here. No hair, and the gauze leaves me at a loss. Ropes on her hands and legs probably have a specific nylon composition from a specific brand." The man turned to his fellow detectives, "Anyone got a knife? Left mine in the car."
Last edited by Anowa on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Awards:
Tie Winner: Most Involved in P2TM, 2016
Winner: Best Crime RP, 2016

An Intro to Anowa

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Massachusetts State Police Unit One

There was an eerie beauty to the beaches of Massachusetts. Something about the cold Atlantic ocean lapping at the endless shores of white sand, the tall bushes which dotted the roads that ran along them. The black silhouettes of birds overhead, the wind that moaned and howled as it swept across the shoreline. There was a beauty to it, sure, but it was also unmistakable eerie. The kind of place where it wouldn't seem that out of place to spot something looking back at you from the surf. The kind of place where it didn't seem that strange to find a dead body, however mangled it might be.

Lea arrived late, as she often did. Her tired eyes staring back at her through the rearview mirror. There was no youth, no joy to her face. It seemed flushed of all emotion, a picture of pure stoicism. Her auburn hair seemed so much grayer than it did before, the color more subdued. A bandage covered her nose; an unfortunate byproduct of a bender the night before. Not that she would admit it was. She'd just say she'd hit her nose on a wall, just like she always did. People saw through the excuses, the bullshit, but they didn't care to probe further. Most folks were too embroiled in their own problems to worry about someone else's.

With a cigarette in her mouth, she left the car and headed down towards the beach. The call had come in this morning. Body on the beach. Two divers found it early in the morning. Possibly foul play, possibly just another drunk that ended up in the surf. The latter wouldn't have surprised her. Lea was a firm believer in the idea of Occam's Razor. Often the most obvious solution was the likeliest. Still, these were human beings she dealt with, and people weren't known for picking the most obvious, logical solution.

The sand crunched beneath her boots as she marched out towards the scene. The corpse sat out in the open air, laid on a yellow tarp as another officer probed at it. As the cold ocean air hit her, Lea zipped up her jacket and continued onwards. The first officer she recognized. Paul Devon. Decent guy, seemed to keep to himself. The other she didn't, and Lea had little intention to find out unless she had to. Strictly business and all that. Lea scanned up and down the beach, spotting a small crowd of onlookers that had assembled to watch the show. She scoffed. It was the same thing that clogged the highway after a crash; people are fascinated by death. Something so fundamentally human, and yet so alien to the average person. Death wasn't the norm anymore, it was the horror show oddity to be seen on the morning commute, the Dateline story housewives watched over ice cream.

Lea broke from her grand cultural criticism as she arrived at the scene. Devon had already started poking at the corpse, motioning for the other officer to take a closer look. The other then broke off to speak with the divers. Lea's attention instead turned to an elderly man standing nearby, who seemed oddly impatient, given the circumstance. Lea raised an eyebrow and paused, turning to the old man.

"Sir, this is a crime scene. You can't just be milling about like that."

She looked back to the body.

"Were you a witness, or?"
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Kentucky Fried Land
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kentucky Fried Land » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:35 pm

New Grestin wrote:"Sir, this is a crime scene. You can't just be milling about like that."

She looked back to the body.

"Were you a witness, or?"

James Brown, of no relation to the singer, looked the detective in the eyes. It was a piercing look, one of an old man who was angry yet still sophisticated. There was a bit of care in those eyes as well, even though they seemed to shoot right through her face. That gaze faltered a little bit as he saw who it was, gray eyes softer but still with that touch of authority that James Brown was so well known for. Once again, no relation to the singer. "Detective, as I assume you are judging by your clothing, my name is James Brown, of no relation to the late soul singer." He spoke firmly, making sure his point got across word by word to the person he was speaking to. He was, after all, James "Of No Relation to the Singer" Brown, and goddammit these people were going to listen to what he had to say.

"I've kept my boat, it's a Huckins 45 ess eff, write that down, docked by Rockport for the last week or so now. I've kept one of those wilderness cameras on it, it's got nightvision and everything. I got it there because some goddamn criminals, that's what they are, goddamned, might try and make off with some of the tackle I keep locked away on it. But, uh, anyways, so, I was looking over the footage last night, and I saw something that I think you might be interested in. Two fellows got in a boat, took off into the night. I couldn't really see much else, but I never saw them come back on the video, and it recorded all night." He scrunched up his nose. "Every hour's accountable for." Mr. Brown then adjusted the cap on his head, sniffing.

Martin Davis

Martin waited; he was scared. Positootly terrified. That's how that one fellow had said it, the one who came down from up north. The one with the big ol' Jew nose and the wide rimmed glasses with his girl, and Martin remembered how much he hated the word "positootly." That man had been a nuisance; and though Martin himself was from Minnesota, the accent infuriated him. It was a passive-aggressive hatred, one that consisted of nightly check-up calls and accidentally busting the A/C. Positootly!

That guy's girl found him laid up in his bed, a shotgun cradled under his arm, his teeth jutting out of the bottom of his head. The rest of his head had been splattered across the windows, bits of teeth and skull stuck in the ceiling. Martin had looked over his dead body, and he remembered thinking Wow! What a cleanup this'll be! and Well, this'll be bad for business! and he hated himself for thinking these things. He hated himself for hating that man just because of the way he talked, the way he said Positootly! and then Martin would get angry again just thinking about that word. He never showed this anger.

But even though Martin had seen this man, his brains positootly blasted across the wall, he had never been prepared for Speece's corpse. Maybe it was the smell; maybe it was the melted appearance of her body; maybe it was how nice Ms. Speece had been. But no matter what, Martin gasped, clutching his stomach and mouth with separate hands, then burst into the bathroom and threw up into the toilet. It was a good puke; one of Captain Crunch ("Crunchatize me cap'n!" he had seen on the adverts as a kid in Minnesota) and 1% milk. When he was finally finished, his own vomit was mixing with the smell of death, so he shut the toilet lid and flushed. Martin wiped his mouth with his sleeve, slicking milk off onto the wall. Then, he turned his head, and was confronted with something he was not ready to face.

The mirror was shattered. Cracked, really. But cracked all over. Martin looked at the mirror; it was a medicine cabinet, if he remembered correctly. He stepped out of the bathroom, not daring to touch it and instead moving out of the apartment. "Officers, if you, i-if you need me I'll be ou-out here."
Last edited by Kentucky Fried Land on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Postby Arengin Union » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:13 pm

James Bowen.

After a brief walk Devon and Bowen arrived to the ambulance where the two divers were at, they had been checked for any problems and were clear for questions. They looked confused and pale, I suppose seeing a dead body for the first time messes us all, it sure did to me. Bowen thought. Finally the detective addressed the two men.

“Mr. Tucker and Dorris? I’m detective Bowen, this is detective Devon. We’re investigating this case, how are you feeling?” Bowen asked as he showed his badge for a brief moment and then set it back on his jacket.

Tucker looked up from his hands, swallowing hard before nodding towards the officers. “Yeah… we’re fine.” He spoke with shakiness, glancing away from the detective’s eyes and at the beach below his feet.

“I’m glad that's the case.” Bowen replied halfheartedly, he really didn’t care about how the two were feeling, he just wanted answers and he would get them. “We need to ask you two a few questions, it’s basic procedure, Mr. Tucker, you come with me and detective Devon shall stay with Dorris. Please follow me Mr. Tucker.” Bowen then walked a few steps off to the side, waiting on Tucker.

Tucker and Dorris exchanged glances, Dorris keeping the gaze a bit longer. Tucker pursed his lips, then mouthed something to the effect of “It’s alright.” then turned and followed Bowen to the side. The man was young; probably around 24 or 25. His hair was jet black, and he was certainly skinny, maybe around 130 pounds as compared to his 6’0 height. He looked up at Bowen, blue eyes gleaming. “What do you need, sir?” He stuffed his hands into his coat pockets.

Bowen didn’t reply to Tucker’s question immediately, he simply took out his phone, reviewing the photos of the body and then looking at the details of the scene. He finally broke the awkward silence, “I need…” Bowen made a short pause as he looked again at the photos, then he finally spoke.

“What were you and your… partner, doing here? Do you scuba dive much Mr. Tucker?” Bowen asked abruptly.

Eddie nodded, looking up at Bowen. “Yeah, yeah. We’re really big into it, we go diving off the coast pretty often, normally off Rockport. We’ve got a house just a ways from here, nice place. But yeah, we were just going for a dive, like we always do, and we went down and saw the… the body, on the seafloor.”

Bowen listened to Tucker, he analyzed every detail, from the way his lips moved to where his eyes were looking at. When Tucker finished his answer Bowen didn’t have much to doubt.

Bowen followed the question with another one. “Where exactly did you found the body?”

Eddie frowned. “I can’t really say. Just… out there. I didn’t find it, anyways. Josh did. Scared him real bad.”

Nothing to doubt there. Bowen thought to himself. He then looked over at the photos of the body. Finally he went with another question.

“I suppose you couldn’t tell me if you somewhat recognize the body’s face.” Bowen showed Tucker the picture of the body, focused on his eyeless and checkless face. “Any ring bells, perhaps someone you’ve noticed before?”

Eddie looked over at the corpse, studying the face for a moment. His eyebrow raised, before lowering itself again as disappointment flowed through his eyes. He turned and looked at Bowen. “No, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him before.”

Dammit. Bowen showed a slight frown of disappointment, but he didn’t let it drive him off from the remaining questions. “Who else lives around this area that you know of Mr. Tucker? Any hermits, people of lacking social skills? Anyone you’d have a suspicion of?” Bowen kept a still face, keeping his eyes on Tucker’s in order to get every detail.

Tucker’s eyes moved to the top of his sockets, mind lost in deep thought. He held up a hand, pointing his index finger at the sky. “Well, there’s Jeffrey Gillis, he’s a nice guy. Lives right next to us, pretty old guy, and he’s about the same build. But I saw him this morning watering his plants. Can’t be him.” He pointed a second finger at the sky, his middle this time. “There’s this one guy, lives just down the street from us. I’ve never seen him come out, but the one time I did…” He took this into consideration, then shook his head.

“No, no, can’t be him. That guy was way too skinny.” He kept the two fingers extended for a few moments before, before his eyes widened and he looked back down at Bowen. “Oh, right! There’s this guy who lives near the beach, always waves to us when we go out on our Whaler. I didn’t see him this morning, and he was about the same build as the corpse.” He looked down at the body, frowning. “Oh God… I hope that isn’t him.”

Bowen was somewhat glad he had a few possible suspects, even if it was an old guy there was always a chance, skinny guy too, and the last one. We got a most likely suspect then...

“Yeah… would be a tragedy if that was the case, anyways, I’ll need an address for the three if you can provide them, as well as yours.” Bowen said in a disingenuous voice, as if hoping it would be the case that it was the guy, he then continued. “If not we can just get them from the records.” But we will need a name or location for the last guy.

“Do you happen to know the name of the last individual? Or could you give me an indication of his home?” Bowen still had his phone on his hand, writing every detail from the answers, the names of each individuals.

Tucker shook his head. “I only know Jeffrey’s full name. But, I can tell you the addresses.” And then he told him the addresses, watching him write down the numbers and streets on his notepad. Tucker looked at Bowen. “Anything else?”

Bowen shut off his phone, right at the moment of getting a text, not work related. The text came from contact “Amelia” the notification came up but Bowen was quick to ignore it and shut the phone off. “Nothing else Mr. Tucker. You've been very helpful, rest up, let us know if anything new comes up.” Bowen left Tucker with an officer and waited for Devon to finish his own questionings.

We got a lead, we got the address. We just need a victim and a cause of death. Where the hell is forensics?
Last edited by Arengin Union on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I do as I please"

Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 29, 2014

Postby Beiarusia » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Sabrina Nithko

Plymouth, Massachusetts

"Don't forget about the thing tonight."

Sabrina looked over from the smallish kitchen with a mug warm coffee in her hands, peering at her younger sister with a blank expression that said "what thing?" Abigail, halfway out the door with her backpack slung across one shoulder, returned the gaze with a raised eyebrow, long since accustomed to the absentmindedness but incredulous nonetheless. A lightbulb flickered to life as Sabrina made the connection as to what "thing" Abigail was referring to. "Wouldn't miss it for the world."

Abigail rolled her eyes in a sisterly way before turning off with a small wave.

The door closed behind her, leaving Sabrina alone with her coffee and an hour to kill before her shift at the forensics lab. Unlike Boston, the forensics unit attached to the Plymouth Police Department was rarely overburdened despite the meager staffing and, further unlike the big city, could follow a set schedule without the need for late nights and early mornings spent on-call. The Boston Police Department employed a larger workforce, naturally, but Sabrina, being smarter than the average tech, was typically the first to be called when an extra hand was needed, which never happened in Plymouth, which left the woman uncertain on how to spend the downtime even after having had time to adjust to small-town living. Uninterrupted free time was an oddity that she hadn't quite figured out just yet, less so without Abigail to take charge in her usual gung-ho attitude.

Bored, Sabrina decided to watch some TV since that seemed like something without much commitment. Watching cartoons, and getting way more involved with the limited plot than any adult should ever be, Sabrina didn't hear the simple beeping of the outdated pager until the third message. Her employer's phone number was displayed on the thin LCD screen.

For the first time in a long time Sabrina would be going into work early.

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014

Postby Insaeldor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:30 am

I turned back away from Martin for a bit, I reached out of my pockets and opened up a small plastic bag which help rubber gloves. Helped keep them clean and handy. I looked around the body, it's borderline gelatinous flesh still sending shivers down my back. We rarely ever saw a body this bad. I think I remember a similar event about twenty years back, poor woman was stuck in her chair and when we founder her skin had fused to the chair. Luckily that was my job back then. I noticed right away dim boot prints on the kitchen floor. They looked as though someone had walked through the old blood. Nothing looked disheveled, usually if someone is assaulted they would have would opposite of where they fell. So could the kids have robbed the place and just stepped around the body? I'd be more worried about that then I would Martha. It showed a callousness and disregard for the dead. Drawers were thrown open, pictures were a mess, but I couldn't say for sure that anything was missing.

I looked at the body a bit more, I noticed what was left of some discoloration on the bottom of her foot. While the extremities were essentially shriveled skin and bone the coloration of the skin was somewhat noticeable. The bruising was big and blachly on her bottom left foot, unlike her right which didn't show any of the same discoloration. I looked back, the direction the the soles of her rotting stiff feet were facing. They faced towards the a cabinet that was randomly placed in the middle of the room, it's placement more for convenience as it seemed to be placed in the one place junk wasn't. I walked up towards it, I noticed a small wooden car right at its base, it looked like it could be the source of the old lady's bruised foot. I grabbed the car with my glove covered hand and reached of an evidence back I kept on me. I tried to keep everything on me so if something was found I could get to it as quickly as possible. I slipped the car in and pressed most of the air out of the bad before zipping it tight. I set a marker for where the evidence was obtained from.

I went back to the corpse, I just looked at it for a moment, wasn't sure what could possibly bring someone to this sort of life, if you could even call it that. Then I heard Frey announcing himself. He was a good guy, seen a lot a shit I'd be more than happy not to have myself. He told us the door looked fine, I figured since the landlord had to unlock it for us. But it's when he asked us about the jewelry box I got a little worried, it seemed if anything was missing then my worst case scenario would be true. I turned to Frey.

“No not yet we’ve been to busy with the corpse. Looks like she slipped on this thing, a wooden toy car. She flung the damn thing right behind her when she feel forward. I haven't really bothered to check anything since we just got here. You're free to do what you want. Just make sure Uradel has something productive to do.” I told him looking into what I could only describe as chilled stone eyes.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

The Holy Empire of Steel
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of Steel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Officer James Uradel

The 28th of September began as every day had before it. The sun began it's climb in the early hours, shattering the oppressive grip of the night, and blanketing the land in a soft, warm glow. Like every other day, James awoke ten minutes before his alarm went off, just in time to go through his morning routines and make a mug of coffee before the shrill buzzing of his bedside clock alerted him to the time:5:30 am. With a last, fleeting glance in a mirror, to check over his pressed uniform one last time for any in-formalities, James Uradel exited his apartment, outside into the brisk morning air of Plymouth, Massachusetts.

At 5:50am, James had entered and exited a local fast-food joint, now with a full stomach. And finally by 6am sharp, James had checked in with his superiors, and taken a seat at the main briefing table.

The day was just like ever other, and by 7am, nothing seemed to contradict this belief.

The car ride was an uneventful one for the most part, aside from a few pleasantries shared between James and his partner, Gabriel Vas. The pair were being sent to investigate the "disappearance" of a local elderly citizen, named a Ms. Speece, who had not been seen in a disproportionate amount of time. Gabriel and James were only assigned to check in on the living area, to see what was up. It had never occurred to James how quickly his previously average day would change..

The first thing that hit me as I entered the small apartment was the smell, a smell so foul and oppressive that words could hardly describe it. Directly in front of me stood my partner, Gabriel, who had his service pistol gripped tightly in his hands, it's barrel pointed downwards towards the floor. That alone was alarming, from what little time I had spent with him, Gabriel had never unholstered his weapon, not once. I took a few hesitant steps forwards, my right hand reaching down towards my own service revolver, still housed safely inside of it's holster. To my right, stood the apartment's landlord, whose skin looked as pale as the moonlight, his eyes wide and unblinking as he seemed to gaze off into the distance.

Insaeldor wrote:"Well, we've got a dead body. I'm not sure what caused it but she's been there awhile. As for those intruders I'm guessing it was neighbourhood kids looking to cause trouble, they started to mess around with her stuff before the found the body and left. We're gonna fishing inspecting the property and then will get the Coroner and paramedics in here." I told him. It was never easy to tell a person someone has died, but I've made these announcements all to often though never in such a sad situation.

"Uradel! Finish checking the rooms. Coroner has this job for right now." I told him.

Just from the almost haunted look of Gabriel gave off I knew that the outcome of Ms. Speece's incident wasn't just a case of death from natural causes, it had to be bad, real bad. "I'll get right on it Sir."

James turned to face the landlord, placing a hand on the quaking man's shoulder. "Sir, I think it would be for the best if you waited outside in the hall, can you do that for me?" He said softly, with a slight sense of urgency. The Landlord seemed to almost jump in surprise at the sudden stimuli and turned his head to look at James, the fear very apparent in his eyes. "I..I think that would be for the best, O-O-Officer." He finished with a stammer.

James gave him a smile of encouragement, and watched the poor man walk as if in a daze through the entrance door, shutting it behind him. James shook his head, the image of the landlord's panicked gaze not quite leaving his mind's eye. With the Landlord safely out of the picture, James began to make a sweep of the other unchecked rooms. The Master Bedroom and guest bedroom were in similar states of disarray as the living room, but not from any signs of distress, at least from first appearances. James figured that the deceased Ms. Speece was simply not a very tidy person. After making cursory checks through the closets of both rooms, he made his way slowly over to the kitchen, wincing in disgust as the smell of rotting flesh grew only ever stronger. James took a quick glance inside to confirm what he already knew deep inside. From the few seconds he could, he surveyed inside, desperately attempting to take note of the surroundings before the smell won the fight against his churning stomach.

After a minute or so of gathering himself, James walked back towards his partner in the living room. "Apartment's all cleared.. I'll stay by the door and make sure no one else can get in to disturb the scene. I''ll question the landlord as well.." He said, he voice ringing hollow in his own ears.

Hastur
Envoy

Founded: Jul 01, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Hastur » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Detective Charlotte Sutherland
Massachusetts state police department; Plymouth Detective Unit.
Duxbury Pier Lighthouse.

A corpse was probably the last thing that a lone lighthouse assistant had expected to see when he climbed the spiral staircase. It wasn't like the average person wakes up expecting to find one, aside from maybe homicide detectives and morticians. But, for all intents and purposes, she shouldn't have been there. There are certain places in which one has a significantly higher chance of stumbling across a freshly murdered cadaver.

At the top of a light house, in the middle of a pier, surrounded by water, was well down that list.

Charlotte stood amongst her fellow detectives within the cramped large glass cylindrical dome, the mainland and endless sea visible all around them as a strong wind whistled away outside. Her groggy eyes blinking away as she tried to comprehend the sight of their Jane Doe. A poor young woman had been stripped, bound and propped up onto the icy metal rail. Her head wrapped tightly in gauze as her head and body she seemingly faced out seawards, as if she is enjoying the view of a never-ending sea or waiting for a mariner to return from sea.

It was ritualistic, or at least that’s what it seemed like, Charlotte didn't quite get the intended message. It almost felt somewhat like a macabre puzzle and it was a particularly barbaric one at that. Her stomach turned just thinking about it, harboring a mixture of disgust and anger as she pushed it to the back of her mind, doing her best to bottle it up for now. She couldn't let it get to her.

Whoever had done it obviously wanted the woman to be found. They knew that a light house keeper would have worked here and would have found her. Otherwise, she would have been dumped somewhere else, like a ditch or given cement shoes and dropped to the bottom of the ocean floor. The level of commitment here was immensely high. The location was a naturally difficult spot, being surronded by water and out of the way, making it difficult to leave a body or stage a murder. Indicating that the place had meaning, importance.

Her attention was quickly drawn away from the body as Detective Holloway, an older and bulkier gentleman, began listing off some of his observations from his examination of the body. Strangulation was off the books, victim was likely domestically abused, blood around the groin likely indicated sexual assault and the murder likely didn't occur here due to the lack of urine and feces. The concept of her being murdered elsewhere challenged her initial perception of the crime. She couldn't imagine that a single person could fireman lug a body up a ten-foot ladder then somehow unlock a cast iron door and open it, all during high winds in the middle of the night. It seemed insermountable for a single person. But Holloway was a much more seasoned detective who had been on the job for something close to thirty years. The guy knew what he was talking about. Perhaps it indicated more than one person. That much wouldn't be clear until forensic got a good enough look at the crime scene.

“Here.” Charlotte stated flatly, removing a small flip knife from her inner right jean pocket as she crouched down next to him, handing it over to the detective as he moved in to cut Jane Does restraints. “Our suspect went to some trouble to put her here.” She added as she began to herself examine the woman for anything peculiar with her neoprene covered hands. “He would had to have access to a boat and probably the key to the cast iron door. Then he would have had to lug her 120 pound body out of a boat, up the ladder, then a spiral staircase before posing her here.” Her hands moved towards Jane Does graying hands, inspecting her nails, which had being chipped and cracked, likely from her trying to fight back. “Seems like a lot for a single person. Regardless, He wanted her to be found, and wanted her to be found here in this particularly fashion. Whatever the perp is trying to say, this place has a level of importance to his statement.” She pondered aloud to Holloway, giving her take. Although she knew she was likely preaching to the choir. Her eyes became deeply captivated by the sight of small flakes of skin and blood beneath her nails.

DNA.

It was a small victory, solid evidence that would hopefully help them find the deranged fucker before he could hurt someone else. “She put up a fight, skin and blood under her nails.” She informed, taking a step back away from Jane Doe, standing tall as she blinked rapidly again, remembering what Holloway had said about her being very likely sexually assaulted. “Anyone talked to Cecil yet?” Charlotte questioned, a slight hint of anger slipping through her stoic facade. She knew he was out on his whaler outside, being the one who had brought them out to the lighthouse. Her gaze turned towards the domed, dirty windows which surrounded them in all directions, giving her the eerie feeling that she was being watched, with a feeling of uneasiness following after it. “When's the evidence collection team set to arrive?”

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:21 pm

Massachusetts State Police Unit Two
Det. Alexander Park

Alexander arrived late. That's for sure. He drank too much of an alcohol last day, yesterday. He was on sort of a spree of beers, again. Drinking alcoholic every day is bad for the health, but if he's worried about that he would be more worried about what happened on the street and in the military more than just alcohol. He pulled off to the scene with his Nissan Skyline. A very much second-bought car, he modified and colored it back to suited him more. White color, normal engine and all, normal car all around. Alright, maybe the engine has few slight modification.

He showed his badge, and moved to the scene. Dammit, the witnesses had been questioned, and perhaps that is enough for now. So far the death and the victim hasn't been revealed much, and it seems everyone else had done the jobs needed. Shit. Fine, he just stand around, then.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Postby Arengin Union » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:34 pm

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:Massachusetts State Police Unit Two
Det. Alexander Park

Alexander arrived late. That's for sure. He drank too much of an alcohol last day, yesterday. He was on sort of a spree of beers, again. Drinking alcoholic every day is bad for the health, but if he's worried about that he would be more worried about what happened on the street and in the military more than just alcohol. He pulled off to the scene with his Nissan Skyline. A very much second-bought car, he modified and colored it back to suited him more. White color, normal engine and all, normal car all around. Alright, maybe the engine has few slight modification.

He showed his badge, and moved to the scene. Dammit, the witnesses had been questioned, and perhaps that is enough for now. So far the death and the victim hasn't been revealed much, and it seems everyone else had done the jobs needed. Shit. Fine, he just stand around, then.

James Bowen

James was right at the moment of taking out his silver flask until he noticed a white Nissan car parking close to his Mustang 2010. He put the flask back in his inside pocket and looked at who was getting out of the car. It was Detective Park, he had heard of him, knew him a bit as a small acquaintance. He seemed confused and a bit annoyed, I guess he came a bit late to the party. Bowen wasn't much to make people feel better, but this was work and he needed help to figure out a hypothesis on the cause of death for the suspect.

Bowen walked to Park, he gave a slight welcoming smirk to the man. "Park, you made it. Good to see you." Bowen gave Park a slight pat on the arm and a handshake.

"Me and Devon got the suspects already questioned, Devon is still busy. I just finished up, I was gonna check on the body. I got a hypothesis on the cause of death, wanna come to check it out before forensics arrive?" Bowen said with a quick tone, almost welcoming, a bit not on his usual mannerism but still he acted professional with his co workers most of the time. He waited for a response from Park.
"I do as I please"

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:39 am

Insaeldor wrote:-snip-

Vaz. An old bloodhound of the Plymouth PD, who was working the beat back when I was barely a kid. Sure, Plymouth was not a town with too many shootings, hostage situations, or major busts, but this place has its black spots that needed cleansing. I knew Vaz's record; a large number of successful robbery cases under his belt. Guy looks like a genuinely honest cop and family man. You know, perhaps you can say that Gabriel Vaz is a good cop, based on his accomplishments. As for his personality, I would have to gauge with more interaction.

I made eye contact with Vaz. He's got his "wall" up; nothing's going to crack him, but in his eyes, I can see a hint of betrayal to himself. Like any sane man, Vaz was bothered by the hot, bloated cadaver that was slowly condensing into soup in her very kitchen. I nodded my head in acknowledgment to the older detective, and turned my head to the direction of the "centerpiece"; I needed a better look at this cadaver. My eyes locked on with Ms. Speece. No need to obsess on how she looks; that's what the Coroner's Report is for. And then, I remembered someone that could remember it for me. Sabrina Nithko.

I knew her from Boston; not well, but well enough on a professional basis. She's got a cheery personality about her, strange to see at any crime scene. I've seen her eagerly record the finer details of any type of corpse, and then give a startlingly accurate testimony in the court room. We know each other well enough that we've shared phone numbers. I can trust her report, just as much as the official County Coroner's Report. Let's get this lady on the case. I took my phone off of my belt, from its leather case on my left side. My eyes looked down at the screen, focusing on the glowing screen image cast below.

Yo. Plymouth Rock Apartments. Got a shut-in that you need to look at.

I looked over at Uradel. Nice kid, but he stinks of inexperience. I could not fault him of that; rookies are going to be rookies and all. What did concern me was his piece: a Model 29. My eyes glanced upon it briefly. Who's he trying to be? Dirty Harry? A long-barreled, six-round handcannon had no place in law enforcement nowadays, with everyone and their mothers now owning expensive semi-autos, like Glocks and Sigs. Six slugs that can pierce vehicle body panels is nothing compared to seventeen rounds of an intermediate round. But I digress, we've got other crap on hand.

I nodded to Uradel.

"Do it. Get the basics, and then let Vaz come out there and talk to him. We'll see what's what by cross-referencing the interviews. Different shit to different people, sometimes."
Last edited by Cylarn on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Kentucky Fried Land wrote:"I've kept my boat, it's a Huckins 45 ess eff, write that down, docked by Rockport for the last week or so now. I've kept one of those wilderness cameras on it, it's got nightvision and everything. I got it there because some goddamn criminals, that's what they are, goddamned, might try and make off with some of the tackle I keep locked away on it. But, uh, anyways, so, I was looking over the footage last night, and I saw something that I think you might be interested in. Two fellows got in a boat, took off into the night. I couldn't really see much else, but I never saw them come back on the video, and it recorded all night." He scrunched up his nose. "Every hour's accountable for." Mr. Brown then adjusted the cap on his head, sniffing.

Lea's head cocked to the side as the man spoke, his accent rendering the diatribe incomprehensible at times. Nonetheless, she reached into her jacket pocket and produced a smartphone and began tapping away. Some of the other detectives preferred to keep their notes physical. Lea was not one of them. As the cool ocean air kicked up off the surf, she began going back over the man's story. Two fellows in a boat. That bit stuck out, and not just because it was one of the few parts drowned in Boston drawl. She glanced briefly at the other detectives, shrugged and brought her attentions back to the old man.

"You mentioned a wilderness camera, on your boat. A Huckins 45 SF. Any chance you'd be willing to let us take some copies of the photos?"

She continued tapping out notes.

"And these two fellows you saw, did you recognize either of them? Any defining features that you noticed? Black? White? Male? Female? Wearing anything suspicious?"

As the others went about their work, Lea stuck to herself. It was far easier to work with yourself, someone you know, than anyone else. Glancing back at the other detectives, she was throughly convinced that she needed to handle this herself.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Kentucky Fried Land
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kentucky Fried Land » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 pm

The Beach

James looked at the detective, rubbing the sparse whiskers on his chin. His glance turned to the sky, lost in thought for a moment before returning eye contact. “Yeah, two men I think. One of’em was really skinny, had a mullet. I ain't never seen a woman with a mullet, alright? So yeah, m’guessing he’s a man. The other one was big fellow, kind of like him.” He pointed at the bloated corpse, it’s eyeless stare still pointed at the cloudy sky.

“Didn’t look like the big guy had any clothes on either. Real strange.” He placed his hands in his pockets.

Around this time, another figure came pushing through the crowd. A middle-aged, balding white guy, he had gone through the police officers quite quickly. This was perhaps because of the navy blue jacket he was wearing, with CORONER plastered on the back. Or perhaps it was because they recognized him as Reginald “Reggie” Jackson, and he made his presence known with the slap of the latex gloves on his wrists. “Sorry I’m late.” He spoke, pushing his glasses up on his nose before approaching the body.

Reggie bent down, nodding to the two officers nearby, and looking over the man’s corpse. He lifted up the head, wincing at the smell… and the deformed dent in the back of the man’s dome. “Looks like, uh, blunt force trauma did him in.” He looked over the man’s face. “Fish ate the eyes, parts of the cheek. Stomach.” He looked down towards his legs. “Genitals are moderately decomposed. Fish bit off a few of his toes and parts of his testes. Hmm… fish ate his stomach pretty quick though. He may have been disemboweled before being dumped in the ocean.” He stood up, looking at the detectives. “I can't be sure how he died until we get the autopsy. But my best guess is blunt force trauma followed by disembowelment.”

Martha Speece’s Apartment

Martin kept his back to the wall. The bricks pushed up against him, clawing at the back of his purple button up, tucked into his gray slacks neatly. He fiddled with his belt. There was something about that apartment; something about it that had really wigged him out. He certainly couldn't bear the thought of going back in now, not with Ms. Speece’s festering about. But there was something else about it. Something awful, something terribly wrong sitting in that apartment. Martin scratched his nose, then started chewing on his nails.

The next door neighbor was blasting some kind of hip-hop funk. Martin didn't recognize it; he had never been a fan of the what he called “that violent music.” As such, he tried to ignore it the best he could, his mind wandering towards what was inside… or, the lack of what was inside. He remembered seeing her guest bedroom as he passed on the way out. It was empty, other than a yellowed mattress and a lone lightbulb hanging from a wire. He shuddered.

An officer walking past him caught his attention; Martin watched him open the door, just sticking his head past the frame.

“Detective Frey! Officer Harlowe! Officer Garden! Some guys need assistance at another scene, some teenager’s car was found abandoned this morning. Right in front of Chiltonville Congregational!”

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Postby Arengin Union » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Kentucky Fried Land wrote:The Beach

James looked at the detective, rubbing the sparse whiskers on his chin. His glance turned to the sky, lost in thought for a moment before returning eye contact. “Yeah, two men I think. One of’em was really skinny, had a mullet. I ain't never seen a woman with a mullet, alright? So yeah, m’guessing he’s a man. The other one was big fellow, kind of like him.” He pointed at the bloated corpse, it’s eyeless stare still pointed at the cloudy sky.

“Didn’t look like the big guy had any clothes on either. Real strange.” He placed his hands in his pockets.

Around this time, another figure came pushing through the crowd. A middle-aged, balding white guy, he had gone through the police officers quite quickly. This was perhaps because of the navy blue jacket he was wearing, with CORONER plastered on the back. Or perhaps it was because they recognized him as Reginald “Reggie” Jackson, and he made his presence known with the slap of the latex gloves on his wrists. “Sorry I’m late.” He spoke, pushing his glasses up on his nose before approaching the body.

Reggie bent down, nodding to the two officers nearby, and looking over the man’s corpse. He lifted up the head, wincing at the smell… and the deformed dent in the back of the man’s dome. “Looks like, uh, blunt force trauma did him in.” He looked over the man’s face. “Fish ate the eyes, parts of the cheek. Stomach.” He looked down towards his legs. “Genitals are moderately decomposed. Fish bit off a few of his toes and parts of his testes. Hmm… fish ate his stomach pretty quick though. He may have been disemboweled before being dumped in the ocean.” He stood up, looking at the detectives. “I can't be sure how he died until we get the autopsy. But my best guess is blunt force trauma followed by disembowelment.”

Bowen and Park talked for a few minutes but soon the detectives both noticed the arrival of the coroner, Reginald "Reggie" Jackson, well known by most of them, at least Bowen knew him. He had meet him before, back in his first murder cases as well as vice, though a bit weird at times he was damn good at his job. Bowen wouldn't trust anyone else when conduction a cause of death, still Bowen had a few theories on the cause of the death, not that he was a medical expert like Reg but he had seen his fair share of murders and patterns in them. After making a slight acknowledgement to Reg, Bowen stepped aside to let the man work.

“Looks like, uh, blunt force trauma did him in. Fish ate the eyes, parts of the cheek. Stomach. Genitals are moderately decomposed. Fish bit off a few of his toes and parts of his testes. Hmm… fish ate his stomach pretty quick though. He may have been disemboweled before being dumped in the ocean.” Reg said as he examined the body. He then stood up to the detectives, Bowen listened to his assessment closely.

Reg continued with his analysis, Bowen took a slight knee to see the body one more time as Reg spoke. “I can't be sure how he died until we get the autopsy. But my best guess is blunt force trauma followed by disembowelment.”

Bowen took a slight look at the head, not touching anything, simply looking. It did seemed that a big hit had been done on the victim. Bowen stood up to Reg.

"You think we can get an I.D. on the victim soon Reg? Also, we noticed a strange thing on the tongue, its cut off, it was a clean cut with a blade most likely. You seen any similar pattern on any other murder cases lately?" Bowen asked as he showed the image of the tongue wound to Reg.
Last edited by Arengin Union on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do as I please"

The Holy Empire of Steel
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of Steel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Officer James Uradel

James gave a curt nod to the detective. "Of course." He began to walk towards the hallway entrance before pausing, visibly gathering his thoughts.

A few seconds passed before James turned around again to face the detective. "Before I go, I'm sure it's probably irrelevant, but I've noticed that a lot of the framed pictures in the apartment are turned upside-down, all leading into where the uh.." James stopped, glancing towards the kitchen." Body was found.. I'm sure it's nothing.. But.. I have to admit that it *is* a little odd." James gave a mild shrug. "Nothing else seemed out of place from the quick inspection I completed."

With that said, and his mind now racing with ideas, James turned and left the Detective standing alone inside the living room, to walk outside into the floor's hallway. James quickly spotted the landlord, who was using the opposite wall to remain standing. The poor man looked about as bad as James felt, although, James secretly hoped that he was at least hiding his true feelings somewhat better than the landlord was at the current moment.

Taking a small notepad out of his right breast-pocket, along with a pen, James walked over to the landlord, keeping a respectable distance away from him. "Sir, I know this is going to be difficult, but I'm gonna need to ask you a few simple questions, nothing too detailed for the moment. We can stop at any time, in case you feel like you need to stop for a moment." He paused to clear his throat, assuming a more professional stance.

"Now, to begin with, how long has Martha Speece been living on this property? What were your general impressions of her? Did she have many visitors, or at least more than usual for someone of her age? In the time before her reported disappearance, was she acting peculiar in any way, such as not paying her rent on time, or uh, making any out of place commotions? Did she have any troubles with her neighb..-"

James was interrupted by the sudden appearance of another police officer, who was making a beeline for Ms. Speece's apartment door. James looked back towards the landlord and apologized, before stepping in front of the approaching officer. "Excuse me, but this is an active crime scene, I can't let you inside."

The officer looked at James with clear irritation. "I'll just peek my head in, I've got orders."

James raised an eyebrow inquisitively. "Oh? Who for?"

"A Detective Frey, and Officers Harlowe and Garden. Now, you gonna let me do my job?"

James jerked his head towards the door. "Just hurry it up, I'm in the middle of questioning a potential witness here.." With that, he turned back to face the landlord.

Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 29, 2014

Postby Beiarusia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Sabrina Nithko

the Apartment of Martha Speece, Plymouth, Massachusetts

A police Crown Vic pulled onto the scene, no siren, parking just outside the modest five-story apartment behind the unmarked Durango belonging to Detective Frey. The passenger door swung open and Sabrina Nithko disembarked, dressed semi-casual with a grey jacket, POLICE stitched along the upper arm, field kit slung over her shoulder. The gathered crowd had thinned somewhat, but a few curious onlookers remained to gawk at the new arrival. Sabrina ignored them. "Thanks for the ride. We should go for coffee later," she said before walking off. The female officer that had driven her said nothing to the suggestive remark.

Sabrina was led to the third-floor flat by a uniformed officer, male, a bit overweight, not as cute as her chauffeur. Another officer stood outside the open doorway, and stepping through the youngish woman was greeted to the strong scent of decay permeating the dusty air. A quick observation showed that the deceased was a hoarder (or a very untidy packrat). Following a trend this would indicate a recluse, few friends, possibly an accidental or natural death. Sabrina inhaled deeply. Smell indicated advanced levels of decomposition. Thermostat was set to 74° Fahrenheit, so putrefaction would progress at a normal rate (low temperatures would slow the process while high temperatures would, unsurprisingly, accelerate the process). Sabrina, having yet to see the body, would guesstimate that Martha Speece had been dead for maybe several weeks now. A low estimate. Then again, Sabrina had personally been called out to the crime scene, not the local coroner, so the situation may well be something that defied simple explanation.

The forensics expert was smiling to herself as she walked into the kitchen, passing another officer on his way out, and finding two detectives standing over the corpse of a geriatric. The older detective was Gabriel Vaz, a veteran, and although Sabrina had seen him at the precinct from time-to-time she knew little else about the man; the other detective was Tom Frey, former Boston PD, just like her, and, funnily enough, he and Sabrina were well acquainted from their previous tenure. The liquifying corpse was likely what remained of Martha Speece.

"The doctor's come for a house call but I appear to be a few weeks too late," Sabrina announced with a mischievous edge to her voice. The easygoing nature was probably unprofessional, most likely inappropriate, but she couldn't be bothered to restrain her usual candor.

Sabrina greeted the two detectives with a small, "yello," before stalking over to the body, circling once like a vulture, twice for good measure, and thrice for the sake of redundancy. Slipping the field kit from her shoulder, she removed a pair of disposable neoprene gloves and quickly went to work examining the body. As she had correctly guessed from the living room decomposition would place time-of-death to approximately four weeks prior. Using gloved fingers to prod the old woman's head Sabrina felt the skull and, sure enough, the bone appeared to be fractured underneath the mop of grey hair and decaying flesh. Blood pooling (livor mortis) would also show that the body had not been moved following death, meaning that Martha Speece had remained in this position, flat on her back, since death. Standing, Sabrina surveyed the scene once more, noting specks of blood on the counter which fit nicely with the wooden car Detective Vaz had found.

"The little old lady slipped and fell," Sabrina said, removing her dirtied gloves to dispose of them. She motioned to the counter. "Cause of death appears to be blunt force trauma to the back of the skull. Hit her head on the counter. I'll need to do an autopsy before making any definitive remarks but I'm pretty sure this was an accident."

The disappointment was visible on her face. Sabrina was rarely called out in-field, and what a letdown this appeared to be.

"The coroner can handle the cleanup and transfer. Anything else since I'm here?"

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Officer Matt Harlowe
North Plymouth
September 28th, 2016

I used to think that alarm clocks weren't so bad. At least relative to somebody screaming, gun fire, police sirens or the other wonderful things that have brought me up from bed in the morning it isn't so bad. In terms of how annoying it is however, an alarm clock is about as palatable as the jackass in a history class that needs to let everybody else know they already know everything. Waking up to my newly acquired shithole in north Plymouth doesn't help either. The last time I spent anymore than few minutes passing through this heroin ridded wannabe Cape Cod was a third grade field trip to the Mayflower. Now I live here. The commute from Southie was a bitch so I figured I'd save myself some money and sanity by packing up and renting out a second floor apartment not far from the water. "It'll be great! The ocean breeze, experiencing new things, you'll love it Matthew!" Mom said. Boston had all those things. I mean the "ocean breeze" always smelled like low tide but at least it was an interesting place. The main attraction here is a fucking rock. Maybe I should stop shitting on Plymouth though. The other officers are good guys and I feel good helping out the community. I don't plan on staying long but at least the work is good. Maybe some big case will come along and liven things up a bit.

Alarm clocks, right. Time to get up and throw on the uniform. I pull myself out of bed and open up the shades. The Sun still rises kind of early, September tends to forget what season its supposed to be in quite a lot here in Massachusetts. With a little natural lighting to cheer myself up I go through my morning routine. Breakfast, hygiene, leave Channel 7 on in the hopes I'll catch traffic, weather and the new girl they just brought on. Wait I don't even need to listen to traffic anymore, the station's five minutes down the road. Whatever. Now for the uniform. Undershirt, blouse, badge, nameplate, etc. Can't forget the lucky click pens either. And my gun, nice and safe under my mattress. Standard issue Smith and Wesson M&P45. Boots have finally started to get broken in too. Today might actually be pretty good.

I turn the TV off and make sure everything is all set before I leave. Then I grab my keys and step out of my apartment, down the stairs and out to my truck. I don't really have a reason to drive a Chevy 2500 but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it after Dad died. Mom never voiced her opinion on it so I figured fuck it, the thing looks cool so I'll just sell my car instead. I'll never know why he bought a white pick up, he'd come home from whatever job site he was on with ten new scratches a day. Took me and my brother a week to finally get the damn thing looking good again. Now she's sitting pretty though. Gets good mileage too. Like I said, the drive to the station isn't so bad. A quick stop to pick up that sweet, sweet caffeinated nectar of God from the Heaven that is Dunkies and then I head over to start my shift.

I walk in the front doors and go through the small talk with the front desk and then head over to my locker. Drop my lunch and a change of clothes in there and check in around the station. Before I even get through most of the usual routine my radio pipes up about a body found in an apartment. She didn't OD? Well shit maybe this will be the big case after all! Although I'm interested to find out what happened, I don't show any excitement on my way out to my cruiser. It would be a little tapped to get excited about a body and not to mention getting all cheery is something that would probably get me singled out as the weird new guy.

I hop in the driver's seat and pull out of the parking lot. As soon as I'm out on the road I flick on the lights and move towards the scene. Huh, unmarked cars. Looks like the detectives already got here. I cut the engine and the sirens, but leave the lights on and head over to the apartment. It isn't my job to poke around the body but I go in the apartment anyway just to make sure everything is alright. [i]Dear God that smell is atrocious![i] I manage to keep myself from throwing up but the putrid stench is something a person can never get used to. I've probably seen a hundred bodies from kids to old men. It gets to me sometimes but the sight is something you learn to get over. Once the smell hits you though, that's when you start thinking about maybe going to Church more often. As I do my rounds with the other officers checking out the perimeter I manage to get a peak at the bloated, zombie like corpse in the kitchen. The image barely has time to register in my mind before my radio goes off calling for backup units to a nearby church. Not but a few seconds after the call comes in, Officer Uradel repeats the order in person.

"Got it, coming out."

I yell out as I emerge from the building and duck under the yellow tape as I head to my cruiser. I press the transmit button on my radio and respond.

"Dispatch this is Harlowe, responding to scene at Chiltonville Church now over."

I let go off the button and climb into my car. A few buttons later, my lights are flashing, sirens ringing and the engine roaring as I head over to figure out just what the hell is going on in Plymouth today.
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

Kentucky Fried Land
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kentucky Fried Land » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:03 pm

The Beach

Reggie looked over at Bowen, raising an eyebrow. “An ID? I’ve got no clue. His face is pretty much gone. DNA testing, not sure how long that’ll take. I really can’t say for certain.” Upon Bowen’s next statement, Reggie grimaced. “Tongue? Cut out?” He sniffed, turning to face the victim again. “Huh.” He looked over the tongue, holding the man’s jaw open with little effort. “Yeah. Looks like it. Looks like it’s been cut out for a while now, too.” He sighed, propelling his way from the sand with his weak knees. They ached as he stood up, and he groaned. “Aw. Can’t say what for now. I’m not really much of a knife guy. But I’m sure forensics can look over the markings, maybe find a manufacturer or type of knife or something.” He went to start pulling his gloves off, then looked back up at Bowen.

“Need anything else, before I go? In case I missed something you want to look at.”

Martha Speece’s Apartment

Martin looked at the officer walking out. He didn’t like this, this whole questioning thing. It felt to him like an attack; as if HE were the one being considered a suspect. But Speece was an accident, and Martin knew that he wasn’t involved in any way. He didn’t think he was, but sometimes, when he drank, he blacked out. He didn’t suppose he did much during those times, but one of his neighbors had caught him pissing in the bushes outside his office once.

He sniffled, straightening his back and locking his joints in place. “Uh, well. She’s, jeez, she’s been here about seven years, I guess? Um, she decided to move away from her old home after her husband died.” He listened to the next questions attentively.

”What were your general impressions of her?”

“Oh, well, she was always a real nice lady, yah. Um, she sent me a basket, of uh, cookies once. And she looked after, um, Mrs. Carson’s kids before she moved off to that suburb near Christ Church Parish, yah. Yeah, I reckon since Ms. Speece’s been staying here at, Spring Hill Apartments, uh, she’s been real nice.” He stuffed his thumbs into his pockets and nodded multiple times.

”Did she have many visitors, or at least more than usual for someone of her age?”

Martin seemed to be lost in thought for a second. He took his index finger and scratched at his clean-shaven chin. “Uh, well, jeez, I don’t remember her ever having any visitors, actually. Wait, no. There was this one Hispanic fella, always came up and got her groceries. He stopped showing up about three months ago, I’d say. Name was, uh, oh jeez, what was it…” He stared off his balcony for a moment in deep consideration. After ten seconds of his day dream, he snapped his fingers, then returned eye contact with Uradel.

“Oscar Ruiz! That’s what he said his name was. Yep, yep, I remember now. Just had to get the old thinker, kicking, kicking again.” He smiled and laughed nervously, swaying and returning a frown again. “Uh, but yeah. He used to come around, but he just stopped one day. Don’t have much idea why.”

”In the time before her reported disappearance, was she acting peculiar in any way, such as not paying her rent on time, or uh, making any out of place commotions?”

Martin considered this, scratching the side of his head. “Uh, well, actually, her rent’s been paid on time pretty often. She’s got it set up to automatically pay, I think. She doesn’t come around very often either, so I’m glad we found her now rather than later. I wish we hadn’t found her dead at all though. Poor, poor woman.”

”Did she have any troubles with her neighbors?”

After Uradel finished with the other officer, Martin continued answering his questions. “As far as I know? Nope, no, nothing.” He could still hear the rap music in the background, that dirty hip-hop that he hated. He didn’t mind the man playing the music; it’s not like it was devil-creating or anything, and Martin certainly didn’t believe any music except for Charles Manson’s could do a thing, but he didn’t like the music anyways. But, the man just shoving it down everyone’s throats, just PUSHING it onto all the souls in here, especially when a woman was DEAD. Maybe the nicest old woman he had ever met, at that.

Martin felt his right hand clamp up into a fist.

“Actually, you know, she might have had some problems with her neighbor next door. I uh, I heard them fighting about stuff sometimes, just screaming at each other. I never really thought much of it until now.” He extended a finger to the neighbor blasting the funk from behind his window. He knew that man had drug paraphernalia inside his apartment; he had smelt the weed, and seen the syringes scattered on the floor while collecting rent. He had never said anything; he had never said a thing. But this time, nobody was going to walk over Martin. Nobody was going to step on Martin, especially not some pansy druggie blasting his darned music everywhere!

His hand was shaking. The fist had been involuntary. Martin never got angry like that anymore; especially not while he was sober.

But this was going to be an exhilarating day, he could already tell.

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 am

The Holy Empire of Steel wrote:James was interrupted by the sudden appearance of another police officer, who was making a beeline for Ms. Speece's apartment door. James looked back towards the landlord and apologized, before stepping in front of the approaching officer. "Excuse me, but this is an active crime scene, I can't let you inside."

The officer looked at James with clear irritation. "I'll just peek my head in, I've got orders."

James raised an eyebrow inquisitively. "Oh? Who for?"

"A Detective Frey, and Officers Harlowe and Garden. Now, you gonna let me do my job?"

James jerked his head towards the door. "Just hurry it up, I'm in the middle of questioning a potential witness here.." With that, he turned back to face the landlord.

I heard my name called, the source being an officer who had just come through the front door. Uradel had the eyewit covered and Vaz was there to back him up; thus I felt comfortable with going to yet another crime scene. I looked over at Vaz and gave a curt nod before turning away. I left the kitchen and began walking towards the front door of the apartment.

Beiarusia wrote:Sabrina greeted the two detectives with a small, "yello," before stalking over to the body, circling once like a vulture, twice for good measure, and thrice for the sake of redundancy.

My lips formed a smile as Sabrina walked through the door. Now, even more than before, did I feel confident that the scene would be under control. I responded back with a mimicry of her previous words, and walked out the door to confront the outside. More cops had shown up to provide traffic control. The air was full of voices and smells and sounds, but I took a breath of outside air and relished in the refreshment for a moment. The air inside the apartment was rotten, rapidly approaching the point in which the Coroner and his team would have to suit up with respirators. I began to walk back to my Durango at a normal walking pace, walking down to the ground lot and past the gathering pools of cops, paramedics, and bystanders.

With a press of a key fob button, my ride was unlocked. I climbed inside and locked the doors, sealing my sanctuary from the outside world. My right hand reached into the glove box and pulled out a circular tin, the top of which identified it as Copehagen Long Cut Normal. I opened up the top with my left hand and set it down on my lap before sticking a finger into the compressed black tobacco resting within the tin. I planted the "dip" in the left side of my bottom lip, moving my jaw and tongue to adjust it all. After closing up the tin, I started up my Durango and began my drive down to Chiltonville.

"Dispatch, CI Unit 3 responding to Chiltonville," I radioed to Central.

My eyes focused on the ugly red Acura sitting in front of the church, as I maneuvered my vehicle into the parking lot. All of the doors were opened, which meant that Patrol had already searched the vehicle. I also caught sight of the fender, bent from an incident. Was it related or not? That's the mystery. Once again, I parked my vehicle in a distinguishable parking space and climbed out, this time clipping my walkie-talkie onto my belt. I shut the door to my car and began to approach the Acura, spitting some brown-colored spit onto the asphalt.

I paced a circle around the Acura, taking into account every little detail that I felt was important. With a pen and black notepad in hand, I scribbled down the make and model of the vehicle, tags, VIN number, and exterior damage. I looked around at the various officers moving around, and decided to call for the officer who discovered the car.

"Hey! Who showed up here first?"
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse