NATION

PASSWORD

regional tags, how can we add new ones?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Maupof
Secretary

Founded: Jun 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

regional tags, how can we add new ones?

Postby Maupof » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:52 am

Recently in our region the federation of anarchist communes, we have been discussing which regional tags to use. The idea that "feminist" should be one was raised but then it appears that feminist isn't an option to choose from the tag cloud. Not too sure what to do about this I thought I would post here and see if anyone could explain the procedure, if there is one, or direct me to the place where players can get new regional tags added to the word cloud.
Thanks in advance for your help

The Gipper
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Gipper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:59 am

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:22 am

I'd support the addition of a "Feminist" tag.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:29 am

That link was from 2014. It may be things have changed since then. We have tags for many different ideological perspectives after all... I can't see why a feminist tag shouldn't be added. It covers a range of philosophical viewpoints that have shaped a decent percentage of many societies of the last couple of centuries or so...
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

The United Providences of Perland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:13 am

Once way to find out is ask someone with Appearance power to go into the regional Admin page, find the tag list, and just scroll down looking at what tags are possible; I believe they're in ABC order so that may help.
It's been over two years that Perland has been on Nation States!
Author of issues 651: Black Days for @@NAME@@ and 1016: Breaking Upset

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:27 am

Maupof wrote:see if anyone could explain the procedure

The process itself is simple. A game moderator adds tags manually.

The harder part is convincing a game moderator that adding such a tag would improve the game. We could easily add hundreds of tags because people have requested them, but at some point the tag cloud simple becomes unmanageable. That's why we've resisted adding tags that aren't directly associated with government types, gaming events or tools, and various types of roleplay.

The main problem with adding unlimited tags is tag spammers - regions who add literally every available tag to their region, making the search useless. We've discussed limiting tags-per-region while opening up more possibilities, but it's not high on the To Do list.

Galiantus VII
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus VII » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:58 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:

The main problem with adding unlimited tags is tag spammers - regions who add literally every available tag to their region, making the search useless. We've discussed limiting tags-per-region while opening up more possibilities, but it's not high on the To Do list.

Have you considered making certain tags exclusive of one another? Technically you already have such a system in place for region size, it's just all on the server to recognize it's time to swap tags and do it automatically. Because seriously, there is no reason for a region to tag itself as both "Communist" and "Anti-Communist", "National Sovereigntist" and "International Federalist", "Democratic" and "Dictatorship", etc. even if there is a tag cap of some kind. Just pick one, darn it!
The side effects of hearing a view you disagree with can include confusion, nausea, and vomiting. Just try and listen to someone say anything politically incorrect without doing any of those things. Obviously, then, we have to consider the precious feelings of everyone we talk to. Some people don't want to be triggered, guys. It's their right as Americans.

Freien
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Freien » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:21 am

I certainly support the addition of a "feminist" regional tag and I feel that it is rather surprising that it doesn't exist already, while other more "strange" and unexpected choices do. Great job suggesting it.
Galiantus VII wrote:Have you considered making certain tags exclusive of one another? Technically you already have such a system in place for region size, it's just all on the server to recognize it's time to swap tags and do it automatically. Because seriously, there is no reason for a region to tag itself as both "Communist" and "Anti-Communist", "National Sovereigntist" and "International Federalist", "Democratic" and "Dictatorship", etc. even if there is a tag cap of some kind. Just pick one, darn it!
This seems like a nice idea, too. Usually, embassy collecting regions are the ones that use all the tags. But they can pick something like anyone else, or just the fewest possible.
Comrade WA Delegate of The Internationale (x3)
A Squadron Admiral of The Red Fleet (01/10/17 - )
Qui Tacet Consentit

Proletaire
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 09, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Proletaire » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 am

Galiantus VII wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:The main problem with adding unlimited tags is tag spammers - regions who add literally every available tag to their region, making the search useless. We've discussed limiting tags-per-region while opening up more possibilities, but it's not high on the To Do list.

Have you considered making certain tags exclusive of one another? Technically you already have such a system in place for region size, it's just all on the server to recognize it's time to swap tags and do it automatically. Because seriously, there is no reason for a region to tag itself as both "Communist" and "Anti-Communist", "National Sovereigntist" and "International Federalist", "Democratic" and "Dictatorship", etc. even if there is a tag cap of some kind. Just pick one, darn it!

I think this and the 'Feminist' tag are fine ideas.

Maupof
Secretary

Founded: Jun 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Maupof » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:

The process itself is simple. A game moderator adds tags manually.

The harder part is convincing a game moderator that adding such a tag would improve the game. We could easily add hundreds of tags because people have requested them, but at some point the tag cloud simple becomes unmanageable. That's why we've resisted adding tags that aren't directly associated with government types, gaming events or tools, and various types of roleplay.

I anticipated that tag-spamming and list size would be concerns for the mods. I have no idea of and no interest in how the mods work together and how they make decisions about running the game but I though there might be some kind of accepted procedure for players to raise ideas for tweaks to things.
I stand by the point that there are some pretty vacuous tags available to use and it seems counter-productive to have almost meaningless options like "silly", "casual", "surreal" and what's with all the "techs"? Can't that just be combined into "sci-fi"? What about "steampunk" and "cyberpunk"? Both more of a niche interest than feminism. It is hard to justify the existence of some of these tags with the none existence of a "feminist" one.
All the options in the tag cloud which describes a political or ethical ideal can be compounded with feminist, "theocratic feminist", "eco-friendly feminist" etc. As a movement feminism spans the political and ethical spectra from right to left, from liberal to authoritative and can't be used to describe a narrow point of view. I'd bet there's more feminists than fascists or isolationists playing this game.
I think it would be a useful addition to the tag cloud. More useful than any other I have thought of or has been suggested to me.
I aslo think the idea of limiting or connecting tags could be a good addition but can understand how that is toward the bottom of the to do list.
Is there a place I should post to raise this with the mods or do I just grab one and twist their arm?

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:10 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:The main problem with adding unlimited tags is tag spammers - regions who add literally every available tag to their region, making the search useless. We've discussed limiting tags-per-region while opening up more possibilities, but it's not high on the To Do list.

Tags per region solves that easily enough, yes, perhaps with larger regions being permitted more tags. We can also exclude tags from the Tag Cloud that don't hit a certain minimum number, so it doesn't matter if there are hundreds of tags. The only real annoyance there is the drop-down box for tag selection in Region Control becomes unwieldy.

The slightly more difficult spam problem is someone creating a lot of regions just so they can make a particular tag bigger on the Cloud. But I wouldn't expect that to be common, and mods could always kill the tag.

I don't know if mods want to police tags, though. That might be a drag, having to keep an eye on what's been added and prune it every now and again. I don't think there'd be a lot of "gary is gay" type spam but I imagine mods would be asked to pass judgement on the acceptability of controversial tags.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:41 am

If we are planning on excluding tags from the tag cloud that don't reach a certain number, can we keep the tags Class, Commended, Condemned, Featured, Feeder, Founderless etc. - pretty much all the ones the game gives automatically to regions. Personally I use the SC ones, Warzone tag, and Founderless.

Also preferably a 'more tags' button which gives all the available tags to search through - but that bit isn't so important.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Galiantus VII
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus VII » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:19 am

[violet] wrote:The slightly more difficult spam problem is someone creating a lot of regions just so they can make a particular tag bigger on the Cloud. But I wouldn't expect that to be common, and mods could always kill the tag.

What if you sized the tags based on the number of nations in regions with that tag, or let it at least influence the size of the tag? Obviously you wouldn't let that come into play for the tags which describe region size, but at least it would destroy any incentive for players to manipulate the tag cloud, and consequently mods wouldn't have to watch out for that.
The side effects of hearing a view you disagree with can include confusion, nausea, and vomiting. Just try and listen to someone say anything politically incorrect without doing any of those things. Obviously, then, we have to consider the precious feelings of everyone we talk to. Some people don't want to be triggered, guys. It's their right as Americans.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Galiantus VII wrote:
[violet] wrote:The slightly more difficult spam problem is someone creating a lot of regions just so they can make a particular tag bigger on the Cloud. But I wouldn't expect that to be common, and mods could always kill the tag.

What if you sized the tags based on the number of nations in regions with that tag, or let it at least influence the size of the tag? Obviously you wouldn't let that come into play for the tags which describe region size, but at least it would destroy any incentive for players to manipulate the tag cloud, and consequently mods wouldn't have to watch out for that.

The difficult-to-abuse solution would be to count WA member nations.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical