NATION

PASSWORD

Question about discussing religious beliefs / lack thereof

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2007
Ex-Nation

Question about discussing religious beliefs / lack thereof

Postby Barfobulville » Thu May 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Please read entire post before replying. This is not written from either point of view, I am just curious to see what the consensus is. I would also prefer only serious responses, but have no jurisdiction to enforce such a request.

It is very clear that it is unacceptable, in this forum and in the world, for a believer of some religion to try to impose his views onto others who do not hold those same beliefs. My question is this: is it kosher (pun intended) for a nonbeliever to try to impose his views on a believer? Why or why not?

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Question about discussing religious beliefs / lack thereof

Postby Takaram » Thu May 28, 2009 9:12 pm

No, its the same thing. Exactly the same

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu May 28, 2009 9:13 pm

Absolutely not. Flat out absolutely not acceptable. To be honest, evangelical atheists seem to be a lot ruder, a lot more arrogant, and a lot less willing to respect the beliefs of others than religious evangelicals. Maybe it's just the Dawkins effect, but other than Daniel Dennett I really don't see a lot of people that manage to make their points without being jerks.
Last edited by Vetalia on Thu May 28, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Falsonia
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Falsonia » Thu May 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Takaram wrote:No, its the same thing. Exactly the same

Vetalia wrote:Absolutely not. Flat out absolutely not acceptable. To be honest, evangelical atheists seem to be a lot ruder, a lot more arrogant, and a lot less willing to respect the beliefs of others than religious evangelicals. Maybe it's just the Dawkins effect, but other than Daniel Dennett I really don't see a lot of people that manage to make their points without being jerks.

Hear, hear!

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Thu May 28, 2009 9:17 pm

Vetalia wrote:Absolutely not. Flat out absolutely not acceptable. To be honest, evangelical atheists seem to be a lot ruder, a lot more arrogant, and a lot less willing to respect the beliefs of others than religious evangelicals. Maybe it's just the Dawkins effect, but other than Daniel Dennett I really don't see a lot of people that manage to make their points without being jerks.

Though I wish it wasn't true, I'm afraid you are right. To be fair though, evangelical atheists get slammed a lot harder than any religious evangelical ever does (except by other atheists)

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu May 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Absolutly not!
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Bucklavaria
Civilian

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bucklavaria » Thu May 28, 2009 9:20 pm

I think a lot of ideas, whether religious or political or cultural, are like that. It has less to do with the beliefs themselves than with the motivations of the people following them.

I do agree that many atheists are just as arrogant and rude as many religious evangelicals, but that's probably just because atheism is growing as a belief nowadays more than it has in the past. Gradually, the dust will settle, and the arrogance of different beliefs will balance each other out.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu May 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Well, in some sense, those of us who believe in tolerance impose that view on people who don't. ;)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu May 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Barfobulville wrote:It is very clear that it is unacceptable, in this forum and in the world, for a believer of some religion to try to impose his views onto others who do not hold those same beliefs. My question is this: is it kosher (pun intended) for a nonbeliever to try to impose his views on a believer? Why or why not?

this looks like weasel words to me. do you mean 'impose' in the sense of forcing people to give the outward signs of personally believing x on pain of punishment, or merely being occasionally subjected to arguments for x?

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Thu May 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:It is very clear that it is unacceptable, in this forum and in the world, for a believer of some religion to try to impose his views onto others who do not hold those same beliefs. My question is this: is it kosher (pun intended) for a nonbeliever to try to impose his views on a believer? Why or why not?

this looks like weasel words to me. do you mean 'impose' in the sense of forcing people to give the outward signs of personally believing x on pain of punishment, or merely being occasionally subjected to arguments for x?

More towards the latter, but I suppose the former would also apply. However, I would say the answer given the former would be obvious to most serious debaters on either side of the issue.

Vojvodina-Nihon
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Vojvodina-Nihon » Thu May 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:Well, in some sense, those of us who believe in tolerance impose that view on people who don't. ;)

I know! Why do the supposedly tolerant lack tolerance towards intolerant people? That's racism! Well, not racism exactly, but something ism! Something bad ism!
One of many Czardas puppets. I regarded this as my main account upon creating it and for several years thereafter, but these days, that's no longer important.
Death is patient, death is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Death does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Falsonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Falsonia » Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Vojvodina-Nihon wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Well, in some sense, those of us who believe in tolerance impose that view on people who don't. ;)

I know! Why do the supposedly tolerant lack tolerance towards intolerant people? That's racism! Well, not racism exactly, but something ism! Something bad ism!

It's intolerance. Hypocrisy, too, but that's a less amusing answer.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Thu May 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Falsonia wrote:
Vojvodina-Nihon wrote:

It's intolerance. Hypocrisy, too, but that's a less amusing answer.

Well, if it is intolerance, why do you think that's bad? I thought your whole point was that you don't believe in tolerance.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu May 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Barfobulville wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

More towards the latter

then i completely disagree. if anything, there is a duty to 'impose' our beliefs on everyone who cares to enter into public discourse. and there is no foul in having that spill over into those who don't care to argue, either.

Falsonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Falsonia » Thu May 28, 2009 9:40 pm

Barfobulville wrote:Well, if it is intolerance, why do you think that's bad? I thought your whole point was that you don't believe in tolerance.

Where do you get that from?

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Thu May 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Falsonia wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:Well, if it is intolerance, why do you think that's bad? I thought your whole point was that you don't believe in tolerance.

Sorry Falsonia, I was referring to the first fellow

Soyut
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Soyut » Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Atheist have no right to impose their nonbeliefs on others. That's why I support teaching kids every theory of creation and them letting them decide. Its the only way to be fair to the children without imposing on them.

Falsonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Falsonia » Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Barfobulville wrote:
Falsonia wrote:

Sorry Falsonia, I was referring to the first fellow

Ah. OK. Heh.

Vojvodina-Nihon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vojvodina-Nihon » Thu May 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:this looks like weasel words to me. do you mean 'impose' in the sense of forcing people to give the outward signs of personally believing x on pain of punishment, or merely being occasionally subjected to arguments for x?

More towards the latter

then i completely disagree. if anything, there is a duty to 'impose' our beliefs on everyone who cares to enter into public discourse. and there is no foul in having that spill over into those who don't care to argue, either.

what do you do when a Jehovah's Witness shows up at your door?
One of many Czardas puppets. I regarded this as my main account upon creating it and for several years thereafter, but these days, that's no longer important.
It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:this looks like weasel words to me. do you mean 'impose' in the sense of forcing people to give the outward signs of personally believing x on pain of punishment, or merely being occasionally subjected to arguments for x?

More towards the latter

That is the first time I have heard it put that way. Interesting

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Thu May 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Soyut wrote:Atheist have no right to impose their nonbeliefs on others. That's why I support teaching kids every theory of creation and them letting them decide. Its the only way to be fair to the children without imposing on them.

You can't say somethings a theory if there is no evidence...
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Soyut
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Soyut » Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Bavin wrote:
Soyut wrote:Atheist have no right to impose their nonbeliefs on others. That's why I support teaching kids every theory of creation and them letting them decide. Its the only way to be fair to the children without imposing on them.

The bible is evidence.

Falsonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Falsonia » Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Barfobulville wrote:That is the first time I have heard it put that way. Interesting

Well, it's kind of the same as the Socratic method. Argument, when it's not merely a bunch of ad hominem attacks and insults the serve no purpose, leads to the betterment of all parties.

Vojvodina-Nihon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vojvodina-Nihon » Thu May 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Soyut wrote:
Bavin wrote:

The bible is evidence.

It doesn't cite any sources. There's no bibliography in the back, either. I call foul.

Falsonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Falsonia » Thu May 28, 2009 9:51 pm

Soyut wrote:
Bavin wrote:

The bible is evidence.

The Bible is an over 2000 year old book that contains innumerable logical fallacies, contradictions, and impossibilities.

EDIT: In addition to this, why do you consider the Christian version of creation, one that is not even shared by the entire religion, the only opposing "theory" to evolution that should be taught in schools?
Last edited by Falsonia on Thu May 28, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General