NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Your Fidgets Are Too Fidgety!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

[DRAFT] Your Fidgets Are Too Fidgety!

Postby Dytarma » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 am

[title] Your Fidgets Are Too Fidgety!

[description] The Fidget Flicker, a new toy released for kids who have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD, has reached a new level of popularity for toys of their category. So popular in fact, they are being used by kids who don't have ADHD. Most of these kids have been using these in public schools inappropriately, and as such public schools all across @@NATION@@ have started to ban them, even for those who need them.

[option] "Hmpf, can't you just see with your own naked eyes why this 'toy' is absurd?" Says Mrs. @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME@@, a teacher at @@CAPITAL@@ Elementary. "Every time I'm teaching math after lunch, I always see at least one kid flicking their flicker on the desk, and they never seen to learn! I mean, they get straight A's, but it makes such an annoying sound! I try my best, I take it from them, give them detention, but the very next day, guess what? They bring it back! Better yet, we'll check their bags everyday in order to make sure they don't have them flickers. Please ban this toy from all public schools in @@NAME@@, for all our ear's sake."

[effect] Teachers can once again hear the sound of clicking pens in class.

[option] "Now hold up dude, you can't just do this!" Says failing student @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ is flicking a fidget flicker. "We like need to have fun and stuff, as well as to keep on track, or something like that. It passes time so we don't have to do homewo- uh... I mean don't have to fail classes. Look, just don't ban it for our sake."

[effect] Desks often have grooves from flicking a fidget flicker.

[option] "Our research has repeated over and over that fidget flickers can be good, if used by children with ADHD." Comments Dr. @@RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@@, a prominent child psychologist. " If given to the kids who actually need them, they can be focused and not goof off as much. However, if the fidgets are given a child without ADHD, they are just a nuisance with no real purpose. I propose that only kids who are confirmed to have ADHD can have fidget flickers, and those who don't have ADHD may use the fidgets at home, but not at any public school

[effect] Kids get toys if approved by doctors.

[option] "Pfff, what if these ADHD ridden kids are lying?" Questions Gym teacher @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ throws a fidget flicker from your desk away from you. "What if they're just lying so they don't have all the homework you guys give out? Sure, their parents might say otherwise, but let's be honest, ADHD is just some bologna kids made up to get less work. How about we treat everyone equally? No fidget flickers for anyone! And no more of them special classes for those kids- for equality's sake of course. Well, what are you waiting for? DO IT!"

[effect] Chess is an ADHD kid's worse nightmare.
Last edited by Dytarma on Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 am, edited 10 times in total.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Fri May 19, 2017 10:53 am

Yes, ADHD is a thing in NationStates. Why exactly wouldn't it be? "Mental" just sounds stupid and just a little bit offensive.

Anyway, I suggest you actually write some options for this issue. It would really help get your issue accepted.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Fri May 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Leppikania wrote:Yes, ADHD is a thing in NationStates. Why exactly wouldn't it be? "Mental" just sounds stupid and just a little bit offensive.

Anyway, I suggest you actually write some options for this issue. It would really help get your issue accepted.

Alright, I just didn't want some nation going, "Well, ADHD doesn't exist in my nation, fix it."

Alright, I just put those words in the brackets as a baseline since I didn't have enough time to write the actual options.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri May 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Dytarma wrote:since I didn't have enough time to write the actual options.

When will you find the time to do them so that we can have an actual issue to examine, or are you doing that as I write?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Fri May 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Dytarma wrote:since I didn't have enough time to write the actual options.

When will you find the time to do them so that we can have an actual issue to examine, or are you doing that as I write?

I was doing them as you typed it in, which is why I didn't reply quickly.
Dytarma's Birthday

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Fri May 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I think Option 3 should have to do with having the toys being prescribed by a doctor.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Fri May 19, 2017 2:49 pm

That sounds alright, I'll add that into the option.
Dytarma's Birthday

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Fri May 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Also IQ has nothing to do with things like ADHD, I would take out the reference to that and just say they have to be proscibed by a doctor.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Fri May 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Leutria wrote:Also IQ has nothing to do with things like ADHD, I would take out the reference to that and just say they have to be proscibed by a doctor.

Hm, I always thought there was a correlation. I'll make the change, but how would they be prescribed?
Dytarma's Birthday

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 19, 2017 4:38 pm

This isn't necasserily my positions, but a lot of people believe that ADHD is a myth to excuse poor disipline. I'm surprised I didn't see an option refering to this. Also, option 1, if schools ban them, and they still manage to sneak them in, what will @@LEADER@@ banning them achieve?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Australian Republic wrote:This isn't necasserily my positions, but a lot of people believe that ADHD is a myth to excuse poor disipline. I'm surprised I didn't see an option refering to this. Also, option 1, if schools ban them, and they still manage to sneak them in, what will @@LEADER@@ banning them achieve?

That does sound like a good idea.

Maybe they could have their backpacks checked for fidget flickers, and if the kids do have them, then they are taken away until the end of the school day.
Dytarma's Birthday

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Dytarma wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:This isn't necasserily my positions, but a lot of people believe that ADHD is a myth to excuse poor disipline. I'm surprised I didn't see an option refering to this. Also, option 1, if schools ban them, and they still manage to sneak them in, what will @@LEADER@@ banning them achieve?

That does sound like a good idea.

Maybe they could have their backpacks checked for fidget flickers, and if the kids do have them, then they are taken away until the end of the school day.

And is there any reason that the school can't do this without the government getting involved?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Dytarma wrote:That does sound like a good idea.

And is there any reason that the school can't do this without the government getting involved?

It could be possible if the school system(s) were ran by the government.
Last edited by Dytarma on Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dytarma's Birthday

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Fri May 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Dytarma wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:And is there any reason that the school can't do this without the government getting involved?

It could be possible if the school system(s) were ran by the government.

Then change "school" to public school unless you mandate all schools must ban it.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Fri May 19, 2017 5:31 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:
Dytarma wrote:It could be possible if the school system(s) were ran by the government.

Then change "school" to public school unless you mandate all schools must ban it.

Sounds like a plan.
Dytarma's Birthday

Abhichandra
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Abhichandra » Fri May 19, 2017 6:34 pm

You could also say that the schools were getting overwhelmed with the amount of fidget flickers and are demanding government intervention.

Anyway, I have a few comments:

[title] Your Fidgets Are Too Fidgety!

[description] The Fidget Flicker, a new toy released for kids who have ADHD, has reached a new level of popularity for toys of their category. So popular in fact, they are being used by kids who don't have ADHD. Most of these kids have been using these in public schools inappropriately, and as such public schools all across @@NATION@@ have started to ban them, even for the kids who need them.

[option] "Hmpf, can't you just see with your own naked eyes why this 'toy' is absurd?" Says Mrs. @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME@@, a teacher at @@CAPITAL@@ Elementary. "Every time I'm teaching M math after lunch, I always see at least one kid flicking their flicker on the desk, and they never seen to learn! I mean, they get straight A's, but it is just so annoying to my ears! I try my best, I take it from them, give them detention, but the very next day, guess what? They bring it back! Better yet, we'll check their bags everyday in order to make sure they don't have them flickers. Please ban this toy from all public schools in @@NAME@@, for all our ear's sake. (Add end quotation)

[effect] Teachers can once again hear the sound of moving pencils in class.

[option] "Now hold up dude, you can't just do this!" Says failing student @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ is flicking a fidget flicker. "We like need to have fun and stuff, as well as to keep on track, or something like that. It passes time so we don't have to do homewo (I would add more to homework)- uh... I mean don't have to fail classes. Look, just don't ban it for our sake.(add end quotation mark)

[effect] Desks often have grooves from flicking a fidget flicker.

[option] "Our research has repeated over and over that fidget flickers can be good, if used by the right people." Comments Dr. @@RANDOMFIRSTNAMEMALE@@, a scientist on child and teenage behavior. " If given to the kids who actually need them, they can be focused and not goof off as much. However, if the fidgets are given a child without ADHD, they are just a nuisance with no real purpose. I propose that only kids who are confirmed to have ADHD can have fidget spinners flickers, and those who don't have ADHD may use them fidgets at home, but not at any public school(add period and end quotation mark)

[effect] Kids get toys if approved by doctors.

[option] "Pfff, what if these ADHD ridden kids are lying?" Questions Gym teacher @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@he@@ chucks a fidget flicker from your desk away from you. "What if they're just lying so they don't have all the homework you guys give out? Sure, their parents might say otherwise, but let's be honest, ADHD is just some bologna kids made up to get less work. Well, how about we treat everyone equally? No fidget spinners for anyone! And no more of them special classes for those kids, for equality's sake of course.(add period and end quotation mark)

[effect] Chess is an ADHD kid's worse nightmare.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Fri May 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Fixed.
Dytarma's Birthday

Leutria
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Dytarma wrote:
Leutria wrote:Also IQ has nothing to do with things like ADHD, I would take out the reference to that and just say they have to be proscibed by a doctor.

Hm, I always thought there was a correlation. I'll make the change, but how would they be prescribed?

Doing a quick Google search, it seems ADHD is much more associationed with high IQ (although I still don't think it is statistically significant). Anyway, it is usually diagnosed behaviorally to see if the child fits the symptoms. Do a google search of your own if you like.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat May 20, 2017 5:30 am

Leutria wrote:
Dytarma wrote:Hm, I always thought there was a correlation. I'll make the change, but how would they be prescribed?

Doing a quick Google search, it seems ADHD is much more associationed with high IQ (although I still don't think it is statistically significant). Anyway, it is usually diagnosed behaviorally to see if the child fits the symptoms. Do a google search of your own if you like.

So a combination of the two for the prescription?
Dytarma's Birthday

Leutria
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Sat May 20, 2017 5:49 am

Dytarma wrote:
Leutria wrote:Doing a quick Google search, it seems ADHD is much more associationed with high IQ (although I still don't think it is statistically significant). Anyway, it is usually diagnosed behaviorally to see if the child fits the symptoms. Do a google search of your own if you like.

So a combination of the two for the prescription?

I don't think they actually take IQ intk account. They observe the child's behavior and ask parents and teachers about it to see if they have shown most of the symptoms of ADHD for a long enough period (apparently 6 months). It is diagnosed purely from symptoms, there is no fancy test or indicator.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat May 20, 2017 5:55 am

Leutria wrote:
Dytarma wrote:So a combination of the two for the prescription?

I don't think they actually take IQ intk account. They observe the child's behavior and ask parents and teachers about it to see if they have shown most of the symptoms of ADHD for a long enough period (apparently 6 months). It is diagnosed purely from symptoms, there is no fancy test or indicator.

Ah, so should the government impose a symptom check every 6 months for public schools?
Dytarma's Birthday

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sat May 20, 2017 6:17 am

Ah, I'm a bit concerned that fidget flickers are more a fad than they are an issue that we'll be able to look back on in a year and a half.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat May 20, 2017 6:56 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:Ah, I'm a bit concerned that fidget flickers are more a fad than they are an issue that we'll be able to look back on in a year and a half.

Fidget flickers were invented during the 1990s, but only recently caught on. I'm sure that with all the hubbub going around saying they don't work to help ADHD be as noticeable or not will still make them a bit more popular. Plus, it's because of the fad that teachers propose government intervention, since their own punishments aren't enough to stop it.
Dytarma's Birthday

Zorinthja
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Zorinthja » Sat May 20, 2017 7:37 am

It seems like option 1 and 4 have the exact same result; a ban on fidget Flickes. Maybe combine the best parts of each into just the one option and then your option might sound even better!

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat May 20, 2017 7:49 am

Zorinthja wrote:It seems like option 1 and 4 have the exact same result; a ban on fidget Flickes. Maybe combine the best parts of each into just the one option and then your option might sound even better!

Option 4 is more of an extreme version of option 1, with getting rid of special needs classes.
Dytarma's Birthday

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?