NATION

PASSWORD

Notification ideas

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
August
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Notification ideas

Postby August » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:05 pm

The notifications system has been great from the beginning, but a couple small things have been bugging me for a while. Here are some suggestions for improvement.

1. Dispatch authors get a notification when someone pins their dispatch. The notification should include the pinning nation, a link to the dispatch, and the region. ("Helaw pinned your dispatch in Conch Kingdom.")
2. All ROs with Embassies authority get a notification when another region requests embassies with their own. At present, only the founder and delegate get this notification, but regions often have Diplomacy Officers (or a similar position) in charge of handling embassies.
3. Nations receive a notification when they are edited into a dispatch, not just when they are mentioned in the original text. They would only be notified once ever for that particular dispatch.
4. This one is more of a minor fix than a suggestion. On the Subscriptions page, the checkboxes are fuzzy and low-res. Other checkboxes on the site are much crisper in comparison. In the below screenshot, the first three boxes are from the TG Settings page, and the last three are from the Subscriptions page. Obligatory: running Firefox 52 on Windows 10.
Last edited by August on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

Mount Seymour
Envoy

Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mount Seymour » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 pm

All of these would be great additions; #2 seems just obvious and is IMO the most necessary— I've had a bunch of experiences as a Foreign Minister when I didn't notice an embassy request because I hadn't checked the admin page, and I was only reminded by the founder or delegate. #1 is also something that would be very helpful.

#3 — I'm pretty sure dispatches only send a notification when they're first published, and personally I find that actually quite useful. For instance, if I'm experimenting with a dispatch listing all the nations in my region on a scale I've made, I'll publish it with random text first so it mentions no one and then edit it to put in the actual tags. That way I don't have to bother everyone in my region with "Mount Seymour mentioned you in "Test Index [WIP]". And if that dispatch mentioned nations every time it was edited, I'd be giving all those nations a new notification every time I made even the smallest formatting revision.
Last edited by Mount Seymour on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pacific Alpine Commonwealth of Mount Seymour
a.k.a. Somyrion, Aumeltopia
Security Council #212
Issue #640

August
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby August » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I probably could have worded #3 more clearly, and I have edited the OP accordingly. I did not mean that all nations mentioned should be notified on each edit--you are right, that would get annoying quickly. I was thinking that if a nation was edited into a dispatch, it should receive a notification once, and not again for that particular dispatch. I have several dispatches that are updated frequently with new nations, and it would be very inconvenient to create new dispatches every single time just so those nations could get notifications.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:24 pm

Great suggestion, I don't see any downsides to this so I support.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks! Implemented #1 & #2. #3 requires more fiddling. #4 is mostly because of poor Firefox support for the 'zoom' property.

The Lady of Roses
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lady of Roses » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:31 am

[violet] wrote:Thanks! Implemented #1 & #2. #3 requires more fiddling. #4 is mostly because of poor Firefox support for the 'zoom' property.

[violet], when you implemented #2 did you accidentally make is so founders no longer receive embassy notifications? I have not received a notification when embassies have been requested for the last 24 day, even though we have received 6 of them in that time period.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:02 am

Founders should only receive notifications if they have authority over embassies, the same as other ROs.

The Lady of Roses
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lady of Roses » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 am

[violet] wrote:Founders should only receive notifications if they have authority over embassies, the same as other ROs.

Did a couple tests. I definitely can request, accept, and deny embassies. I still don't receive a notification when they are requested however.

Edit: And to further test it, I gave myself a RO position over embassies and got the notification for an embassy request right away, but that is a bit clunky that I have to create a separate RO position for myself just to receive the notifications. (And to further clarify, yes the founder nation in The Rose Garden (me) has power over embassies. I do don't think it is even possible to selectively take away powers from the founder without making them non-executive however.)
Last edited by The Lady of Roses on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aglrinia
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aglrinia » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

This one is probably unlikely but I'm just going to throw it out there. There's currently RMB mention, and Dispatch mention? Would it be possible to have forum mention as well?
Jakker wrote:TBH is Pro-bring Life to GP

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical