NATION

PASSWORD

Some Burning Anthracite (Aeia Only) (Invite Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Ternca
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Some Burning Anthracite (Aeia Only) (Invite Only)

Postby Ternca » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:34 am

It was a snowy Terncan evening, a dark sky, typical of a Terncow Winter. Norin looked down at the roads from his office, the people walking, a room located in a tall tower in downtown Ternca. He was in deep thought, over a major deposit in Sagalash. The Sagalashi Geographical Survey had estimated there would be billions of Aurarians in resources just waiting to be found, inaccessible to Rovoal, the Terncan Mining Firm he was a senior executive for, a very lucrative deposit. The entire leadership of Rovoal was focused on this deposit, yet it was inaccessible. “Those Sagalashis have nationalized mineral deposits, how are we to convince them?”, muttering to himself. “Billions, right in the hills”.
Terncan Council of Economics
It was an average day for Glukov, the Terncan Economic Minister, he had attended a few meetings, ran though some policy, and created some policies. At his office he was sitting, looking at a few infrastructure projects, the CEO of Rovoal ran towards his office. Annoyed he began to yell,”Hey, WHAT ARE YOU DOING AT MY OFFICE AT THIS HOUR”. The CEO apologized, “Sir, I apologise, but I have to tell you about some interesting news”, Glukov looked annoyed at him “What is so important, I'm totally here to play your silly games about some mines[list=][/list]”, he said sarcastically, “Sir you know we've found a massive mineral deposit in Sagalash, worth billions, many billions”, the Minister nodded, “Fine I'll forward it to the PM, and we can arrange a meeting, but DON'T COME TO MY OFFICE LIKE THAT ever again”. A meeting was to be arranged in Terncow, with a representative of the Economic Ministry, and high level Rovoal execs, Norin was invited.
Rovoal HQ
Norin was still in deep thought over how to access the deposit. But soon he realized that a greater prize could be gained as well. Sagalash was a very corrupt nation, the national leadership eager to find ways to make every last dime they could. A plan brewed in him over the hours of thinking, a buyout of the Sagalashi National Mining Company. “It wouldn't only be that single deposit, but many more, we could scavenge the country for all the resources we can get”, he realized. “Ingenious ”, he thought to himself. What was the reward for Sagalash?

A few days later
The table had been arranged, plates set, the meeting was ready. The Rovoal CEO walked into the Hall, with other high ranking board members along with him. They were dressed in elegant business suits, to maintain formality in the meeting. Norin walked in, right to one of the seats. He had drawn up a plan to be presented to the executives, once everyone sat down the meeting began. “Gentlemen of Rovoal, most of you know why we are here today, in Sagalash a massive deposit has been found, and yet we can't access it. Sagalash has nationalized the mining industry, and we will need methods to access them. Any suggestions?”. Norin spoke up, “Sir, I have a plan we could use. Sagalash has been one of the least successful post-ASU republics, poor, corrupt, broken. Due to this I believe we could place 'gifts’ to cooperate with these officials, and possibly acquire a major stake in their national mining company. This would be a major reward in itself sir, not only would we have this deposit, but every deposit.”. The men nodded intently, “I think we should implement this man's plan, I'll begin discussions tomorrow”, the meeting continued and the general consensus was in favor of Norin, Norin smiled as he left, however was Sagalash smiling?
Last edited by Ternca on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:01 am

Norin woke up from his bed, one blanketed with a silky thread. Unlike other days, was rather you today, knowing it was something big. Today he was heading to Sagalash, soon to get the billions of Aurarians right under the nation as he was an envoy of the Rovoal company, and he had arranged for talks with prominent Sagalashi Civil Servants. He quickly jumped out of his bed, and changed into a fine Rohstian suit in his grandeur filled massive bathroom, typical for execs like him. He kissed his wife and dropped a note to her, and was off, ready to go.

He walked into a large black limo ready for him, with several of his colleagues, similar dressing to him. The chaffer looked back to see if everyone was in the limo nodded and begun the drive. The limo was guarded by several police cars. The drive from the mansions to the airport was a long one, and the men had to find something to keep themselves preoccupied, with Norin choosing to refine his speech for the civil servant. They passed the vast Terncow Skyline quite unassumingly.

An hour or so later they were at Terncow International Airport (TIA). They exited from the limo into the large modern terminal. The Terminal was glistening with modernity and minimalism, a symbol of the vast changes Ternca has been though. The men began to check in and were soon at the business lounge. The lounge like the airport itself was a modern once, new leather seating, minimalist design by Midrasian Designers, it was a very comforting experience for them, helping them relax. Finally the plane came, and they boarded their business class seats, paid for by Rovoal. They rested, and prepared for the meetings.

Sagalash
The Airport seemed rather dormant, the leather of the seats was old and cracked, and the paint was cracking. "Welcome to Sagalash" thought Norin. They quickly existed the airport, and boarded a limo to the first civil servant, a high ranking executive within the national mining company itself.

Sagalash
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sagalash » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Budash, capital of Sagalash

Outside Budash's larger airport, the International Airport just beyond the Old Town, a limousine waited for the Terncans. The driver was an employee of Vapsa, the Sagalash National Security Service, who was busy scanning the area for the better part of two hours before Norin and his fellows arrived. He raised a hand to them, and wordlessly brought them to a tall, imposing building in the Old Town. Formerly an "office" of the ASU's secret police - indeed their crest could still be seen in the stone above the door, though weathered by time - the building had been converted into the headquarters of the national mining company, Sagarradhë.

Sagarradhë's treasurer, Mihajë Braga, met the Terncans on the dusty street. A thin, smoky fog had settled on Budash and Braga had taken shelter beneath the porch, creeping out when he saw the familiar limousine approaching. He brushed back his scraggly hair back with his hand as the foreigners disembarked. Brief words and greetings were exchanged between the few, after which the treasurer led his Rovaol guests into the lobby.

Braga waved the group through security without the checks most visitors were subject to, partly to convenience the Terncans and partly since he was somewhat ashamed of the state of the lobby, with its perpetually unpleasant stench and the wallpaper peeling from the walls in places. To the stairs at the far end of the main room beyond he walked, proceeded up to the first floor*, and led the men to a spacious conference room where some of his colleagues had already taken seats.

More greetings were exchanged and the Terncans took their seats as Braga drew the blinds for privacy. No translators were present, since the Sagalans were all proficient in Terncan. The Vapsa agent who was driver for the Terncans waited outside. The first to speak when all were seated was none other than Sagarradhë's Chief Executive, Ramzarë Shinkë, who was sat at the far end of the table beneath of narrow window.

"Now that we are all present, we might begin. Let me remind us of the purpose of this meeting - our guests are representatives of Rovaol, Ternca's own mining corporation. A corporation which, as I understand it, is seeking shares in our own dear company. Mister Norin," he nodded to the Terncan, "perhaps you would like to begin?"

*American English: second floor

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:15 pm

"Of Course Mrs. Brada! Let us begin the meeting!", Norin remarked with elation in his tone. He poured a luxury Crylantan Fine Wine, that was an aged one clearly, being made from a batch in the 1930s. "Would you like some?"

"Anyways back in the subject, as Sagalash needs more number for the development of Sagalash into a glorious fine nation, the nation requires funds. The entire nation is in an utter state of disrepair, and in need of upgrading, and Investment. Me and my colleagues propose a deal to acquire stake in the Sagalashi Mining Company, in order to provide these. A privatisation would also increase efficiency as well, would it not?" Norin smiled jubilantly and send a second trinket her way, a luxorious Crylantan Watch, one luxorious one in the tens of thousands. It also had a code on the box that she could view, one used by a secretive Valatinian Bank for its bank accounts, Norin quietly whispered there was 500k in that account, just for her use. He sat back, waiting for his reply. Darkness was knocking at the door.
Last edited by Ternca on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sagalash
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sagalash » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:22 pm

"Indeed," Braga replied with a furtive glance to Shinkë, who was sitting rigid. "Well, I'm sure of this... most generous gift... can go into the nation." He nervously scratched behind his ear. Shinkë interjected in a steady voice.

"Mr. Norin, I thank you for your concern. The Sagalan government has no plans to privatise the company, particularly in light of the revenue recent discoveries in the Yabal Mountains could bring. That being said, you are right about the state of Sagalash. I have heard from our own drivers that the roads in the west of the country, the ones most important to our operations in particular, are in an abysmal condition. The government neglects this as an issue."

"Which presents an interesting possibility" Braga added. "Do you not agree, Ramzarë? We need money to fix the roads and our Terncan friends are offering that... and much more." He pushed the watch over to the Executive with a raised eyebrow.

"You are right about that. Hmm..." muttered Shinkë. He then gestured to a portly man sitting meekly towards the centre of the table.

"Mr. Norin, this is Shturu dë Kallo, our Prime Minister's recently-appointed head of the Department of Industrial Affairs. Mr. dë Kallo - might you speak to the Prime Minister on our behalf? I'm sure he would be interested in what these wealthy Terncan gentlemen would have to offer him, don't you think?"

"Ah, y-yes Mr. Shinkë, of course!", dë Kallo blurted. "Uh, m-mister Norin, I shall arrange a meeting with Prime M-minister Pëdërëh as soon as possible. Tomorrow, in fact! In the meantime, I'm s-sure we can find you suitable accommodation at one of our f-fine hotels, a-a-at our expense of c-course..."

Braga spoke once more. "That would be agreeable, I assume, Mr. Norin?" He awaited a reply.

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:31 am

Sagalash wrote:"Indeed," Braga replied with a furtive glance to Shinkë, who was sitting rigid. "Well, I'm sure of this... most generous gift... can go into the nation." He nervously scratched behind his ear. Shinkë interjected in a steady voice.

"Mr. Norin, I thank you for your concern. The Sagalan government has no plans to privatise the company, particularly in light of the revenue recent discoveries in the Yabal Mountains could bring. That being said, you are right about the state of Sagalash. I have heard from our own drivers that the roads in the west of the country, the ones most important to our operations in particular, are in an abysmal condition. The government neglects this as an issue."

"Which presents an interesting possibility" Braga added. "Do you not agree, Ramzarë? We need money to fix the roads and our Terncan friends are offering that... and much more." He pushed the watch over to the Executive with a raised eyebrow.

"You are right about that. Hmm..." muttered Shinkë. He then gestured to a portly man sitting meekly towards the centre of the table.

"Mr. Norin, this is Shturu dë Kallo, our Prime Minister's recently-appointed head of the Department of Industrial Affairs. Mr. dë Kallo - might you speak to the Prime Minister on our behalf? I'm sure he would be interested in what these wealthy Terncan gentlemen would have to offer him, don't you think?"

"Ah, y-yes Mr. Shinkë, of course!", dë Kallo blurted. "Uh, m-mister Norin, I shall arrange a meeting with Prime M-minister Pëdërëh as soon as possible. Tomorrow, in fact! In the meantime, I'm s-sure we can find you suitable accommodation at one of our f-fine hotels, a-a-at our expense of c-course..."

Braga spoke once more. "That would be agreeable, I assume, Mr. Norin?" He awaited a reply.

"Of course" smiled Mr. Norin, "tell me the hotel and the time of the meeting and I'll be ready to go, however I would like some information over your PM yes? Just to plan out the meeting?". He drank some wine and stared, seemingly asking for a response. He sneakly texted an official about the meeting.

Sagalash
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sagalash » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Dë Kallo looked exasperated and confused for a brief moment, and asked of Norin: "h-how do you mean, sir? Might you not kn-know our Prime Minister's n-name?" he laughed nervously. Some of the other Sagalans simply shook their heads at this poor joke.

Norin did not have to respond, as one of his aides broke the silence.

"Norin, you needn't trouble our Sagalan comrades with this - I was asked to write up a file with just this sort of information," he said as he began to look through the files before him. "This is the one."

He slid a thin folder along the table to Norin. On the front cover was the single word "Sagalans" and the seal of the Terncan government. The first couple of sections contained information on some of the people in this meeting, but a short ways in was the relevant entry.
Бичек Падараг / Biçek Pëdërëh
Prime Minister of the Republic of Sagalash

Prime Minister Pëdërëh has been the Prime Minister of Sagalash since 2010, when the party he leads, the Traditional Conservative Party, gained a majority in both the Diet (~Lower Council) and Senate (~Upper Council). Pëdërëh is a veteran politician. He served in the Sagalan military during the country's civil war and took part in the Hardhë offensive which recaptured rebel-held territory north of the capital. At the end of the war he joined the Conservative Party and became a councillor for the Rrush municipality. After that party's split in 1996 he joined the Traditional Conservative Party and was elected to the Diet in 1998. In 2008 he became the party's leader, and their success in the 2010 election brought Pëdërëh to the position of Prime Minister.

Personality

Those around Pëdërëh regard him as being quick to think, but slow to act, that is, he is a man who takes time to enunciate his thoughts clearly. This also means that reading his expression will likely be difficult, as he has a tendency to remain calm under pressure (which he demonstrated during the televised debates between the main Sagalan party leaders in 2010 and 2014). In attempting to convince him of your position, an equally calm, deliberative approach will likely work best.

Pëdërëh has not shown himself to be as corruptible as other Sagalan politicians which we have approached in the past. That said, presenting him with a "gift" which is not framed in any way as a bribe will earn his favour. As Prime Minister, Pëdërëh is often pressed for time, and demonstrating that you are worth his time in this manner will be a useful endeavour.

Testimony from his first wife suggests that Pëdërëh when angered can reject any further interaction. While this may simply be an attempt to smear his image, it is strongly recommended that you not say or do anything which risks angering the Prime Minister as it may compromise Terncan interests. If he refuses to speak with you further our ventures in the country will be seriously hindered.

Braga spoke next: "if that is sufficient, Mr. Norin, then I shall have Corporal Gashi take you to your hotel - the Yll Polar, the quality of which I can personally attest to. Shturu," he said turning to his new addressee, "the time of the meeting?"

Dë Kallo pulled out a little book from a pocket in his jacket, and leafed a short way through.

"I have a meeting tomorrow, in f-fact. Eleven in the morning. I'm s-sure I can have the Prime M-minister s-s-see you then, Mr. Norin."

"That's f-f-fantastic, Shturu," Braga said mockingly. "Well then, gentlemen, if that is all, I shall see you back to the limousine."

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Fri May 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Norin began to wind down the summit with Braga's remark, smiling to avoid the meeting being thought of in a negative light in the eyes of the Sagalashi Officials, "Well then I guess that concludes our great meeting, I will be leaving for the President tomorrow and I hope that we can arrange a successful deal to bring capital and wealth into Sagalash. We will see the joint devlopment of mineral resources in this nation to help further enrich the people of Sagalash, and your electorate." The officials nodded in agreement, and the meeting had been concluded.

With the meeting was closed, Norin walked out of the building, taking his file over the President, his bag full of personal items, and his copies of a few officials contact information. Important!

After leaving the building he walked into the black limo on the side of the road, one that he thought was quite impressive for a poor country such as Sagalash, with luxury Rohstian leather seating, and with other items of high fashion and luxury sprinkled all over. He disappeared away, disappearing the dark Sagalashi night. During his drive he was sending the files, and arranging operations to raise support of the propoganda during the drive, however frustrated by the spotty celluar reception of the city, unable to make much progress. The call to sleep also lingered inside of him, unfortunately most coffee shops were closed at this hour.

When Norin reached the hotel, a large 5 star resort made for and by the Sagalashi oligarchy. He would have observed however at that point he was extremely tired, and not in the mood or ability to observe or even check a few buildings. He drank himself away at a nearby resort bar, and dropped into the abyss of sleep.
Last edited by Ternca on Fri May 05, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sagalash
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sagalash » Sun May 28, 2017 10:38 am

Biçek Pëdërëh rose almost exactly at half past six in the morning. The beds at the Prime Minister's official residence in central Budash had been praised by previous rulers, and Pëdërëh could understand why after a single night in one. After breaking his fast with porridge and berries, he washed and dressed. To his surprise, Shturu dë Kallo, his choice for head of the DIA, was lingering by the front door. He was expecting to meet dë Kallo today - at seven in the afternoon.

"Shturu," the Prime Minister began, "what brings you here? I was not expecting to see you until much later..."

"Y-yes Prime Minister, my apologies. This was a rather last minute thing, and I couldn't see you before, b-but I have a meeting tabled. At eleven this morning, with the T-T-Terncans," replied dë Kallo, rubbing his weary eyes. Pëdërëh's interest was piqued.

"The Terncans?"

"Yes, sir. They represent Rovaol, the mining group. They met with myself and some of the higher-ups at Sagarradhë, including Shinkë and Braga. They, er, did most of the talking actually... Ahem, anyway, to s-sum the meeting up, t-the Terncans wish for shares in Sagarradhë. Fairly significant shares. That means money which could go into fixing the roads in the southwest, around the Yabal Mountains, and m-more."

Pëdërëh sighed. "Shturu, while more money would be a lovely thing, you know there isn't a single MP in the Diet who would accept any kind of privatisation, much less in the Senate-"

"Shinkë got a w-watch from them," dë Kallo interrupted. "It was a very nice watch. At least h-h-hear them out, Prime Minister. Braga will also be there."

Pëdërëh glared down at the fat little man. He barely fit into his suit, and with the sweat rolling off him Pëdërëh figured he must have been terribly hot. After a few seconds he spoke.

"Fine. I shall meet with these Terncans - but I will promise nothing."

At about quarter past ten the Prime Minister left the Senate and headed to the government's offices on Rrugë e Kushtetute. The armed guards at the end of the street glanced into his vehicle and nodded him through. He ignored the press outside the offices and headed in. Mihajë Braga sat inside, reading the day's edition of I Sagalë. He stood to shake the Prime Minister's hand when he entered.

"Prime Minister, good morning. I see dë Kallo convinced you to come here then? A good decision, I assure you."

"He convinced me to come, but we'll see whether I'm convinced that they have anything worth hearing - and more important, whether a vote to sell off one of our national treasures has a chance in hell of passing through parliament," Pëdërëh replied sardonically.

"Ah, don't be like that, Prime Minister!", the treasurer retorted. "They want shares, yes, but not the whole company. But enough here; we can talk more in the meeting room before they arrive. Corporal Gashi will being them to us once they arrive."

With that, the two set off to Meeting Room B, tucked away at the back of the building. There, they waited.

Ternca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ternca » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:29 pm

A phone began buzzing in Norin's room. His absolute exhaustion had made the once previously organized and clean room a disastrous mess. Norin was simply lying there on the bed with a few vodka bottles besides him, the velvet blanket work gold fibers under him. He groaned out of bed, sleepy tired, and slightly drunk. Norin had to slowly wiggle himself out of the bed and get ready for the important meeting ahead. He splashed cold water in his face from the bathroom and went out through the resort to get him in a better condition. When he came back he got out his laptop, a black ceramic Zvezdy, and analyzed the plan. With red, tired eyes he read over the document, "To convince target, subject must convince target that the Terncan Government is..." still tired his mind simply soaked up the instructions, preferring to analyze it later. He closed the laptop and ordered some room service, some kebabs! Norin put on the TV and waited for the proper time to begin. He got in his clothes, a black tuxedo by 10. He had recovered.

10:40
Norin, now looking like a well dressed gentleman walked into the meeting room, knowledgeable about his lateness(but hoped the PM didn't mind) With a big boisterous smile he waved to the PM, and sat down. He requested for a cup of tea from his aide's and took a seat. "Hello Mr. Biçek! I'm Norin San executive from the Terncan mining giant Rovaol would like to talk to you about a potential deal over the Saglashi national mining company. First would you care to voice your concerns over the deal?". Norin signaled to one of his aides to send the response to the SoFR so he could deliver a better response to him.
Last edited by Ternca on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents