NATION

PASSWORD

[Query] History Factbooks

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
El Fiji Grande II
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

[Query] History Factbooks

Postby El Fiji Grande II » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Hello,

Is it legal - as per the One Stop Rules Shop (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=260044#008) - to tag another nation in a factbook, even if they do not want to be tagged there? If not, would it instead be legal not to have them tagged, but rather to leave their name in place?

The factbook in question is Strategos Prime; A History (https://www.nationstates.net/nation=el_ ... /id=768337), which I copied over from a recently CTEd nation, El Fiji Grande. The factbook concerns the history of a region, and many of its prominent members throughout the ages, and is used as a reference by many of us who are still active on NS. The factbook is not intended to harass or to brew grievances, it is simply left as a reminder of bygone days under the principle that history should not be deleted. The nation in question is Vortukia.

Thanks for your time,
El Fiji Grande II

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:58 pm

It's legal to tag nation names in factbooks as people across NS do it all the time, especially when talking about the history of a region. Though if you have spoken to the nation in question and stated to you they don't want there nation name to be in the factbook then I think it's best to abide by there wishes

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:03 pm

That's a tough question. It's much simpler with player's names or personal identifiable information - those you can't post without permission, and you really shouldn't regardless. Nation names are public, though. I don't think it crosses the line to post nation names.

I'm wondering if it's a matter of notifications showing up. If you list them as "Nation" instead of "@nation", do they still get notified? If so, I'd do without the nation formatting and just post it as history text.

Socio Polor wrote:I think it's best to abide by there wishes

While it's a [query] thread and not a [Report], I think the OP was looking for a ruling, not opinions. If you can link prior mod precedent, that's fine. If you're just posting your thoughts, it's better that you don't.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:I think it's best to abide by there wishes

While it's a [query] thread and not a [Report], I think the OP was looking for a ruling, not opinions. If you can link prior mod precedent, that's fine. If you're just posting your thoughts, it's better that you don't.

I see, because it doesn't specifically talk about this in the osrs, I really couldn't provide any links about it. So I decided to state something obvious such as not posting stuff related to the player if they don't want to be talked about, if that makes clear sense.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Socio Polor wrote:I decided to state something obvious

The thing is, it isn't obvious. It's about nations, not players. That's why they asked for a ruling.

Do us a favor and just avoid posting opinions in Moderation from now on. They're almost never helpful.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:I decided to state something obvious

The thing is, it isn't obvious. It's about nations, not players.
Yeah but nations are directly related to the player is where I'm getting at.

That's why they asked for a ruling.
Are you sure about
that cause I didn't see anything about requesting a ruling in OP if I did I would have stayed out of the thread but ok
Last edited by Socio Polor on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Do us a favor and just avoid posting opinions in Moderation from now on. They're almost never helpful.

This is the most important bit from Fris' post. Thank you and we're done here.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Crazy girl wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:

This is the most important bit from Fris' post. Thank you and we're done here.

And I completely understand that Crazy, but If I may ask one question. How do I do that if there's nothing else regarding this question in the osrs or other threads (that I saw)? Should we just leave it to the mods to answer the query in cases like this?
Last edited by Socio Polor on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Socio Polor wrote: Should we just leave it to the mods to answer the query in cases like this?

Please do.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:17 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Socio Polor wrote: Should we just leave it to the mods to answer the query in cases like this?

Please do.

Ok, I'll certainly remember that
Last edited by Socio Polor on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Fiji Grande II
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby El Fiji Grande II » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:That's a tough question. It's much simpler with player's names or personal identifiable information - those you can't post without permission, and you really shouldn't regardless. Nation names are public, though. I don't think it crosses the line to post nation names.

I'm wondering if it's a matter of notifications showing up. If you list them as "Nation" instead of "@nation", do they still get notified? If so, I'd do without the nation formatting and just post it as history text.

Thanks. Yes, I was looking for a ruling, since it didn't appear to be obvious from the One Stop Rules Shop. I'll remove the @Nation tagging so he doesn't get the notification, but I won't remove the nation name itself.

Vortukia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortukia » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:30 pm

I would very much prefer to be cut out from the entry in its entirity.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation