NATION

PASSWORD

[Accepted]All In The Family?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

[Accepted]All In The Family?

Postby Drasnia » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Title: All In The Family?

Description: An unexpected letter sent by your estranged uncle crossed your desk today. He details what he has been doing for the last few years, which concludes with him being arrested and imprisoned in Brancaland for a slew of criminal charges including selling diluted maple syrup and operating a business without a license.

Validity: All

[option]"I am in a sticky situation," your uncle writes, "I've been assigned to share a cell with a bumpkin named Cletus. His buck teeth are not pleasant to look at nor are his armpits pleasant to smell. I would be most obliged if you could use diplomatic pressure to arrange for my release along with some money to help me get back on my feet. After all, we're family and as the Brancalandian saying goes, you don't leave friends out in the cold without a parka."
[effect]@@LEADER@@'s family members carry literal get-out-of-jail-free cards

[option]The Brancalandian ambassador enters your office. "@@LEADER@@, please understand what a heinous crime your uncle committed. Our maple products are our national heritage and your uncle has completely disregarded that. No matter how close you are to him, you must allow our government to punish him as we see fit. We can even give you a tour of the prison facilities to show that he won't be mistreated."
[effect]family isn't who you're born with but who you abandon in foreign countries

[option]"It sounds kinda like a scam." jokes your secretary. "It's almost like those Tasmanian Prince letters people get. Actually, that gives me an idea. Just deny that he's your uncle and that he's a con artist trying to get out of prison. If we are to believe that ambassador, he won't be in much actual danger there. Sure he won't be happy to be staying locked up - and neither will other family members now that I think about it - but then again he's not the one leading a country, now is he?
[effect]imprisonment is the leading cause of disownment

Description: An odd letter crossed your desk today that was sent by a man claiming to be your long-lost uncle. He claims he has been arrested and imprisoned in Brancaland for a slew of criminal charges including selling diluted maple syrup and operating a business without a license.
Validity: Must allow immigration

[option]"I am in a sticky situation," your uncle writes, "I've been assigned to share a cell with a bumpkin named Cletus. His buck teeth are not pleasant to look at nor are his armpits pleasant to smell. I would be most obliged if you could arrange for my release along with some money to help me get back on my feet. After all, we're family and selling watered down maple syrup isn't that bad of a crime now is it?"
[effect]@@LEADER@@'s family can do no wrong

[option]"It's a scam!" shrieks your secretary. "My brother got conned by a man who assured him he was a Tasmanian prince and needed help transferring millions of @@CURRENCY@@. Turns out, my brother's bank account was emptied the very next day. Your uncle needs you to rescue him so he can keep doing the same things he's been doing for years. Cut him off.
[effect]@@LEADER@@'s relatives have had their purse strings cut

[option]The Brancalandian ambassador enters your office. "@@LEADER@@, please understand what a heinous crime your uncle committed. Our maple products are our national heritage and your uncle has completely disregarded that. No matter how close you are to him, you must allow our government to punish him as we see fit. We can even give you a tour of the prison facilities to show that he won't be mistreated."
[effect]@@LEADER@@ doesn't care about relatives

Description: An odd letter crossed your desk today. In it, the writer identified himself as a long-lost uncle on your mother's side and he has been imprisoned in Brancaland. Charges include operating a business without a license, selling illegal contraband, and resisting arrest.

[option]"I am in a sticky situation," your uncle writes, "I've been assigned to share a cell with a bumpkin named Cletus. His buck teeth are not pleasant to look at nor are his armpits pleasant to smell. I would be most obliged if you could arrange my release along with some money to help me get back on my feet. After all, selling watered down maple syrup isn't that bad of a crime now is it?"

[option]"It's a scam!" shrieks your secretary. "My brother got conned by a man who assured him he was a Tasmanian prince and needed help transferring millions of @@CURRENCY@@. Turns out, my brother's bank account was emptied the very next day. Trust me, you can't trust anybody out there in this world. Cut this guy off even if he does turn out to be your uncle."

[option]The Brancalandian ambassador enters your office. "I have just been in contact with my government. Among a pile of forged documents were what appeared to be legitimate identification showing that he is indeed your uncle. The government of Brancaland would be willing to release him without charges provided you do the same for the youngest son of one of our MPs. He has racked up a considerable amount of debt while in this country and would like it all forgiven."
[effect]foreign dignitaries can accumulate debt with impunity.
Last edited by Drasnia on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
See You Space Cowboy...

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:49 pm

An alternate title possibility is "Keeping It All In The Family?" and I think the effect lines may be a bit weak.
See You Space Cowboy...

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:06 pm

If option 3 confirms that the man is @@LEADER@@'s uncle, there's no reason to chose option 2. If you want to keep option 3, you should probably make the focus of 2 holding your uncle responsible for his crimes.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Drayxaso wrote:If option 3 confirms that the man is @@LEADER@@'s uncle, there's no reason to chose option 2. If you want to keep option 3, you should probably make the focus of 2 holding your uncle responsible for his crimes.

I tried to write 3 so that it throws doubt on whether they're legitimate or not. Though perhaps that approach for 2 would be better. I just wanted to reference the Nigerian Prince scam.
See You Space Cowboy...

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Drasnia wrote:
Drayxaso wrote:If option 3 confirms that the man is @@LEADER@@'s uncle, there's no reason to chose option 2. If you want to keep option 3, you should probably make the focus of 2 holding your uncle responsible for his crimes.

I tried to write 3 so that it throws doubt on whether they're legitimate or not. Though perhaps that approach for 2 would be better. I just wanted to reference the Nigerian Prince scam.

It's a fun reference, and it'd be great if you could work it into the issue, but the combination of 2 and 3 as it is seems to give the issue a "correct" answer.
I should also probably mention that I like the idea of option 1 being the letter itself. :)
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Saint Nathan
Secretary

Founded: Feb 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Nathan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:21 am

Nice community service
THE BRITISH OVERSEAS TERRITORY OF SAINT NATHAN

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:13 pm

The option holding him accountable should be there either way
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:01 pm

I made some changes to the description and options 1 and 2. I totally rewrote option 3 to be about letting the Brancalandians do what they want with him. I also took out the whole sub-plot about whether he was actually your uncle.

Opinions?
See You Space Cowboy...

Helaw
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Helaw » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:24 pm

Drasnia wrote:selling diluted maple syrup

Truly, there is no greater crime.

Drasnia wrote:[effect]@@LEADER@@'s family can do no wrong

The option itself is strongly written, but the effect line is where it falters; to be honest, this isn't a humorous line to read. If you can find a way to make it funnier, then it will be vastly improved. This applies to the other effect lines also.

Overall, this is a good draft!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:02 am

Drasnia wrote:[box]Title: All In The Family?

Description: An odd letter crossed your desk today that was sent by a man claiming to be your long-lost uncle. He claims he has been arrested and imprisoned in Brancaland for a slew of criminal charges including selling diluted maple syrup and operating a business without a license.

Superb, strong premise. Can we maybe change it though to make it "sent by your long estranged uncle, who you haven't seen since you were a child."

I think the premise is stronger if we know the man actually IS family.

Not sure why.

[option]"I am in a sticky situation," your uncle writes, "I've been assigned to share a cell with a bumpkin named Cletus. His buck teeth are not pleasant to look at nor are his armpits pleasant to smell. I would be most obliged if you could arrange for my release along with some money to help me get back on my feet.

End the option here, as you've already made the watered down maple syrup joke, why repeat it?

It may be worth explaining a mode of how you achieve your goals like "if you could use diplomatic pressure to arrange for my release"

Agree this is a little weak. Maybe more in the line of fun consequences:

[effect] @@LEADER@@'s family members carry literal get-out-of-jail-free cards

[option]"It's a scam!" shrieks your secretary. "My brother got conned by a man who assured him he was a Tasmanian prince and needed help transferring millions of @@CURRENCY@@. Turns out, my brother's bank account was emptied the very next day. Your uncle needs you to rescue him so he can keep doing the same things he's been doing for years. Cut him off.

Bit weak. As I said, the scam thing confuses things. I'd suggest losing this option. Plus, you've got the bad luck the Nigerian Prince joke being used right now in an active edit by an editor, so this would be a duplicated joke by time of publication.

[effect]@@LEADER@@ doesn't care about relatives

Nice counter argument option, this should be option 2.

Effect line is weak.

Maybe:

[effect] @@LEADER@@ has been criticised for a deficit of family values

Hmm, that's not much better. I'll come back to you if I think of a better line.

Alternate crazy third options to replace option 2:
- The Branclandian Prime Minister's niece is visiting our nation, arrest her on trumped up charges in revenge.
- Politically, we can't be connected to a criminal. Deny he's your uncle, and claim he's a fraudster.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Helaw
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Helaw » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:37 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:[effect] @@LEADER@@ has been criticised for a deficit of family values

Hmm, that's not much better. I'll come back to you if I think of a better line.

How about a reference to Mafia 3's quote regarding family?

[effect]Family isn't who you're born with but is who you abandon in foreign countries

Not sure about it, but it could lead somewhere.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I think the premise is stronger if we know the man actually IS family.
Agreed.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Not sure why.
He probably meant "must allow emigration", to explain why you have a family member in another nation.

Then again, that could also be the result of immigration. Depends on just where @@LEADER@@'s ancestors are from...

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Draft 3 posted. I've gotten rid of the question of if he's your uncle, moved around the options, lifted wholesale a couple of effects and totally reworked the secretary option to what CWA suggested.
See You Space Cowboy...

Abhichandra
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Abhichandra » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:39 pm

I like the effect for option one!
Nice job on this issue :)

A Humanist Resurrection
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Resurrection » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:04 pm

How is this not just a rehash of #237, with your relationship with the accused simply changed to familial instead of conational?
Last edited by A Humanist Resurrection on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:31 pm

A Humanist Resurrection wrote:How is this not just a rehash of #237, with your relationship with the accused simply changed to familial instead of conational?

Because the whole premise is not about just getting anybody out of jail but of whether family members should ever be able to be punished for their crimes. The circumstances are similar but the actual idea of what the issue is addressing is very different. We're approaching 700 issues so it's becoming harder and harder to come up with truly unique settings anymore.
See You Space Cowboy...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:43 am

There's parallels for sure, but I think it certainly feels distinct in its narrative.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:There's parallels for sure, but I think it certainly feels distinct in its narrative.

Thanks for the opinion!

Any other opinions on how to improve this draft?
See You Space Cowboy...

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:36 am

One last second page bump. Any comments?
See You Space Cowboy...

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 am

This has been submitted.

EDIT: This has been accepted
Last edited by Drasnia on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See You Space Cowboy...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Good luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?