NATION

PASSWORD

Imperium Aeternum [AH/OOC/OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Imperium Aeternum [AH/OOC/OPEN]

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:25 pm

IMPERIUM AETERNUM
OOC [YOU ARE HERE] | IC | INFLUENCE MAP [UPDATED 1.3.17] | POLITICAL MAP [UPDATED 1.3.17]

Welcome to the world of Imperium Aeternum. In this world, the Roman Empire did not fall; nor did Christianity, Constantinople or the Byzantium. They stood tall and strong. Islam is but a pipe dream; Judaism has faded almost completely into memory. There has been many centuries of Roman rule over most of Europe, with Roman dominance only questioned by Tsarist Russia.

The Roman Empire has spread its influence even to the Americas; it has grown stronger, more unified. There are railroad systems; and all railroads lead to Rome. The Roman Empire is suffering minor tensions with countries it influences, with some wanting more power and wanting to be like Rome: strong, powerful. Although Rome has progressed much technologically and indeed, economically; socially, and politically, it hasn't advanced much. Even the Byzantines to the east are barely better. Rome stands tall and many hope it never falls.

In this world we live in, the Empire lives Forever.

Hello, and welcome to the official OOC for Imperium Aeternum! For those of you from the interest/concept thread, congrats! Your reservations are still noted and - as seen above and in the map - Rome never fell in this alt history. Although, aside from that fixed point and the fixed points that it implies, this is a pretty sandbox althistory with some pre-established stuff from the interest/concept thread.

Now, let's get onto them rules, shall we?

I. I am the OP, thy god, and my word is law!
II. Thou shalt not godmod.
III. Thou shalt not metagame.
IV. Thou shalt not break standard RP etiquette.
V. Thou shalt not break NS rules.
VI. Thou shalt not harm the integrity of this RP's semi-fixed history with your own and shall try to abide by this RP's semi-established history.
VII. Thou shalt have fun.

Here's the apps!

Code: Select all
[size=120][b][i]Nation App - Imperium Aeternum:[/i][/b][/size]

[b]Formal Nation Name:[/b]
[b]Informal Nation Name:[/b]
[b]Shortened Nation Name:[/b]
[b]Flag:[/b]
[b]Coat of Arms/Other Symbols:[/b]
[b]Government Type:[/b]
[b]Head of State:[/b]
[b]Head of Government:[/b] (if different)
[b]Population:[/b]
[b]Capital:[/b]
[b]Location:[/b]
[b]Influence:[/b] (what nation is your country or government influenced by?)
[b]Military Population:[/b] (no more than 1% for normal/influenced nations; for 'great powers' or 'superpowers', no more than 3%)
[b]History:[/b] (2 paragraphs, please.)
[b]RP Example:[/b] (not required if from the interest / concept thread or if you have reservation.)
Imperium - DO NOT REMOVE

Nation App - Imperium Aeternum:

Formal Nation Name: Imperium Romanum / The Roman Empire / The Empire of Rome
Informal Nation Name: The Empire; Imperial Rome; "Western Roman Empire"
Shortened Nation Name: Rome
Flag: Roman flag. Alternative.
Coat of Arms/Other Symbols: Coat of Arms.
Government Type: Constitutional semi-absolute monarchy with elements of aristocracy and theocracy: the Imperial Senate is the legislative branch, with Senators of both houses holding much legislative power. The Senators elected by the people speak for the people directly; while the Consuls from the Consulate, the other house, are aristocrats (rich and wealthy), priests and important Christian authority figures, and those of the Imperial family; including the Emperor himself. The Emperor holds absolute executive power and because he holds sway in the Consulate, some level of legislative power; giving him near-absolute power.
Head of State: Emperor Antonius Cassius of the Second Augustine Dynasty.
Head of Government: See above.
Population: Approx. 97 million (give or take).
Capital: Rome
Location: see influence map/dark red; and political map when it's up.
Influence: None; influences most of Europe.
Military Population: Approx. 3 million.
History: I'm the OP; I'll add stuff to this later but for now, this is app is a-okay.
Last edited by The V O I D on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:45 am, edited 23 times in total.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Last edited by The V O I D on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 11 times in total.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:26 pm

-RESERVED-

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:28 pm

TAG!
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Rodez
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Completed app will be up shortly. Some things I forgot to ask in the previous thread: Is there a different name for the Americas, and are the Rome-influenced nations there intended to be independent and simply within Rome's sphere of influence or very loosely held vassals of Rome? I wrote my history as if it was the latter, but I may want to change that up and make them fully independent when the IC starts.
Formerly known as Mesrane (Mes), now I'm back
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:41 pm

So...can I be a satrapy of Rome? Specifically of the Middle-East?
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Rodez wrote:Completed app will be up shortly. Some things I forgot to ask in the previous thread: Is there a different name for the Americas, and are the Rome-influenced nations there intended to be independent and simply within Rome's sphere of influence or very loosely held vassals of Rome? I wrote my history as if it was the latter, but I may want to change that up and make them fully independent when the IC starts.

Nations closer to Rome under Roman influence are like loose vassals or independent states highly dependent on Rome for many things.

Farther from Rome is a totally independent country that is influenced by Rome by virtue of doing business with Rome or one of the countries more influenced by Rome than they are.

The Americas are probably called Neo-Europae (New 'Europe' or a 'Second Europe'), while South America is likely called Novi Africam (New / Second Africa).

Simplistic, I know, but still.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Danceria wrote:So...can I be a satrapy of Rome? Specifically of the Middle-East?

You'd more likely be one for the Byzantines, since Byzantium is independent.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:45 pm

The V O I D wrote:
Danceria wrote:So...can I be a satrapy of Rome? Specifically of the Middle-East?

Right. So the multiple colors of the Roman Empire...are they independent factions or?
Obligatory Quotes below

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Danceria wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

Right. So the multiple colors of the Roman Empire...are they independent factions or?

Dark red is Rome itself; dark orangeish in the Middle East/Turkey area is Byzantines. Dark pink is influenced by Rome (used to include Scandinavia/Germany, just assume they are still influenced by Rome). Light pink are either Rome's colonies overseas, or colonies of one of its affiliated allies.

Lighter orange is Byzantine influence.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:49 pm

The V O I D wrote:
Danceria wrote:Right. So the multiple colors of the Roman Empire...are they independent factions or?

Dark red is Rome itself; dark orangeish in the Middle East/Turkey area is Byzantines. Dark pink is influenced by Rome (used to include Scandinavia/Germany, just assume they are still influenced by Rome). Light pink are either Rome's colonies overseas, or colonies of one of its affiliated allies.

Lighter orange is Byzantine influence.

Hm...Might get Bizzy with this...
Obligatory Quotes below

Rodez
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:51 pm

The V O I D wrote:
Rodez wrote:Completed app will be up shortly. Some things I forgot to ask in the previous thread: Is there a different name for the Americas, and are the Rome-influenced nations there intended to be independent and simply within Rome's sphere of influence or very loosely held vassals of Rome? I wrote my history as if it was the latter, but I may want to change that up and make them fully independent when the IC starts.

Nations closer to Rome under Roman influence are like loose vassals or independent states highly dependent on Rome for many things.

Farther from Rome is a totally independent country that is influenced by Rome by virtue of doing business with Rome or one of the countries more influenced by Rome than they are.

The Americas are probably called Neo-Europae (New 'Europe' or a 'Second Europe'), while South America is likely called Novi Africam (New / Second Africa).

Works for me. I will remain a very loosely connected vassal then, at least at the beginning. Functionally independent though. I also think I named a couple 16th century Roman emperors, although I tried to keep intersection with Rome proper to a bare minimum. All I really did was mention their names and then an affair involving one of them; which is important to my history in a very odd way. You'll see in a moment. I hope that's okay.
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Rodez wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

Works for me. I will remain a very loosely connected vassal then, at least at the beginning. Functionally independent though. I also think I named a couple 16th century Roman emperors, although I tried to keep intersection with Rome proper to a bare minimum. All I really did was mention their names and then an affair involving one of them; which is important to my history in a very odd way. You'll see in a moment. I hope that's okay.

Let's see how it goes.

Zhaas123
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhaas123 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:54 pm

Formal Nation Name: Res Publica Comitatus Montems ( Soliders Republic of the Andes Mountains)
Informal Nation Name: Soldiers Repubic, Legion of the South
Shortened Nation Name: Andes Republic
Flag: https://sites.google.com/site/greenland ... &width=400
Coat of Arms/Other Symbols: http://www.orderofcenturions.org/images/medal-round.jpg

Government Type:
Stratocracy (Goverment formed from the Miltary) Their are three branches of Government 1. The Council of Legates: A Council of 10 Legate both active and retired, they form the Policy of the state. the head of state comes from their ranks. 2 Centurion Council: A councial of 20 Centurions in the army electied amougst their fellows. They can overrule the Legates Council, propose laws, and nominate one of thier own to take a Legates place on the Council in case of death. 3. the Armies Council: Made up of of 250 Repestivies from the rest of the ranks they can with a majority declare a Centurion Council void meaning they have to be replaced, and with a 2/3s majority can declare the Council of Legates declered void as well.

Head of State: First Legate Augustus Lusius Sollemnis (Both Head of State and Goverment)
Population: 1,800,000
Capital: Bogotá
Influence: Roman Empire
Military Population: 15,000 out of 18,000 max
History:
Founded by Roman explorers and thought of as a potential place for resettlement of poor Romans from the Urban areas of the Empire. Like most of the colonies it suffered from neglect from the Empire so far across the sea, until one day in the year 1654 a former Gerneral by the name of Septimus Portius Montaus not only made his home there but payed for most of his veterans from his army to come with him. After that the population began explode as it came to be seen as a place where a solider of Rome could find a a peaceful contryside, a plot of land, and the support of a large network of other veterans that alrady live there. The population boom would last until 1730, the population went from around 45,000 paltry souls to around 1,600,000.

Although the Immigration boom may have stoped the Baby Boom had just began and by the year 1800 the population grew to 1,800,000. Around this time the Governance of the colony became more and more dominated by the military settlers, until it became a view amongst the population that the Military and State were one and same. As the Colony grew more politically, and economically, and culturally apart from the Empire in Europe, there was a growing movement to formally seperate from Rome. This was done on the around the turn of the 19th century with Augustus Lusius Sollemnis declued is First Legate

RP Example: (not required if from the interest / concept thread or if you have reservation.) I was there
Imperium - DO NOT REMOVE
Last edited by Zhaas123 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rodez
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Formal Nation Name: Republic of Hatteria
Informal Nation Name: Hatterian Republic/Hatterian Consulate
Shortened Nation Name: Hatteria
Flag:

Coat of Arms/Other Symbols: here
Government Type: Republican Dictatorship
Head of State: First Consul Aulus Didius Gallus
Head of Government: First Consul Aulus Didius Gallus
Population: 10,200,000
Capital: Dertosa
Influence: Almost entirely from Rome
Military Population: 100,000 (60,000 infantry, 16,000 cavalry, 24,000 artillerymen. 55 armored/steel ships)

History:
Hatteria's tale begins in 1503 when the Celtiberian adventurer Terkinos was contracted by the Emperor to explore the *northern* coasts of the enormous western landmass that been discovered only a few years prior. His southeasterly voyage took him to a lengthy chain of narrow outer islands (OTL Outer Banks), where he traded with the natives for several months before returning. On a second voyage in 1508, he brought with him a few settlers, who established a trio of small forts. However, the Emperor's interest was limited, and the flow of settlers was never more than a trickle. Various epidemics ensured that there were never more than a few hundred people scattered over the islands at a time.

Settlement of Neo-Europae did not receive a needed jump start until 1526, when, oddly enough, it was provided by an extramarital affair.

Tiberius Paulinus Secundus was a highly decorated general, governor of Hispania Tarraconensis, and enormously influential adviser to the young Emperor Maximian III. Immensely popular with the common folk and well-respected amongst his military peers, there were even some rumors that he might be the real power behind the Imperial throne. Twenty-two year-old Maximian seemed to place immense trust in the man, who was fifteen years his senior.

So it was with some shock that the Imperial court discovered an affair between Tiberius and Maximian's wife, the Empress Domitia. As if the three-year romance wasn't embarrassing enough; there were also rumors that it had produced a baby boy.

The consequences were harsh. Domitia was executed and Tiberius was stripped of his titles and banished from the Empire, spared only because of Maximian's prior respect for his former friend and adviser. But rather than go east, heartbroken Tiberius decided he would strike west and rebuild his life in Neo-Europae. He set sail with all of his possessions and servants, intending to reach the Hastam Insulae, or Spear Isles, as the chain settled by Terkinos had come to be known. Instead, his voyage took him farther south than intended, but he put down roots anyway, founding the town of Nova Dertosa (OTL Charleston), after a city in Hispania. He quietly sent back word to his supporters in the Iberian provinces that it was safe to come over. In the ensuing decades, a large part of Hispania's nobility and their subjects began to people the coast of this region, which became known as Nova Hatteria after one of the first tribes in the outer islands which the Romans came into contact with. Coastal settlements began to grow rapidly as the population spread north, west and south. Enterprising adventurers pushed the frontier ever further west, expanding settlement and geographic knowledge at the expense of the native tribes.

Tiberius' son Marcus Paulinus (who had in fact been born of his father's affair with the Empress) lobbied a more forgiving Carinus IV for an official charter, which was granted in 1563. With official colonial status, Hatteria then began receiving immigrants from Gaul and Britannia, as well as smaller trickles from Germania and North Africa. Almost from the beginning, Hatterian politics functioned differently from that of Rome proper.

The well-established planter class of Hispanian nobles formed the originally-named Grand Council, which governed in tandem with the colonial governor (and from which the governor was selected). For nearly a century the governorship was dominated by three generations of the Paulinus family: Marcus, Flavius and Quintus. They aggressively pushed expansionist policies and adopted a series of tariffs to develop local industry. The 'Paulinian Era' as it came to be known was perhaps the most intense period of growth for the colony, both in terms of population and economic vitality. After the death of Quintus in 1659 however, the power of Hatteria's founding family came to an end, and the governorship became more competitive.

This exacerbated what had been a simmering problem: tension between the free, mostly poor farmers of the frontier and the coastal nobility, who depended upon slavery to keep their enormous plantations functioning. The yeoman farmers felt underrepresented in the colony's political affairs, and began to seriously resent their elites. A serious economic depression in 1681 brought on by Hatteria's many intersecting tariffs only made matters worse.

Things came to a head when the Cherokee raided the frontier settlement of Vasconia in 1684. The local farmers appealed to the governor, Lucius Fulvius, for aid, but it was slow in coming. After the Cherokee were finally defeated the next year, the free farmers turned their rage on the nobility. Civil war raged for the remainder of the decade, with the rebels unable to defeat the coastal armies in the field and the government forces unable to penetrate very far west without suffering horrendous casualties from guerrilla tactics employed by the rebels. By 1690, both sides were exhausted and much of the south-central region was in ruins. With the serfs becoming restive, the nobles deposed the uncooperative Fulvius and elected Doiros Segomari, an accomplished soldier of Gaulish descent who was acceptable to all sides. Segomari put together the
Secundum Stabilitatem,
a constitution which abolished slavery (instead permitting a certain restricted serfdom) and granted the free commoners certain rights to protect their property and arms from infringement. The Grand Council was reformed into the Regiminis Consilium, and the commoners were permitted elect two dozen representatives, which would give them roughly two-fifths of the power. Governors were replaced by the First Consuls, who no longer ruled for life but were instead elected by the Consilium to terms of ten years, with the ability to be reelected once. They did however, possess expanded executive powers, as they would not be in office longer than twenty years.

The Secundum Stabilitatem did their job and ushered in an era of unprecedented stability, allowing Hatteria to recover from the war and renew growth. Expansion continued apace - few mercies were afforded to native tribes that did not submit. Christianity was proselytized aggressively among those that did. Furthermore, as immigration began to slow after the 1740's, the continual mixing of peoples from most of Rome's western provinces eroded separate identities and began to strengthen what inhabitants considered a singular Hatterian culture, with regional variations in dialect. The primary divide was now between the rural, rustic western and southern frontier and the more urbanized coast. Cities became bolstered with freed slaves after the abolition of slavery - this in turn allowed for moderate industrialization as the former slaves and their descendants provided the needed labor pool for manufacturing. Shipbuilding in particular became perhaps the largest non-agricultural industry in the republic. This in turn has given rise to a strong maritime tradition and a powerful navy by Neo-Europae standards.

As the 19th Century marches on, the people of Hatteria no longer consider themselves Roman in any meaningful sense of the word. Many now seek to make official what has been a de facto independence from Roman authority since the mid-1700's. For now though, First Consul Aulus Didius Gallus is maintaining Hatteria's loose vassalage under the Emperor.

RP Example: (not required if from the interest / concept thread or if you have reservation.)
Imperium - DO NOT REMOVE
Last edited by Rodez on Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Hey, Valyria, Frozen Forest; wanna be my co-OPs? Other volunteers may TG me requesting to be co-OPs, as I want at least one more.

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:39 pm

The V O I D wrote:Hey, Valyria, Frozen Forest; wanna be my co-OPs? Other volunteers may TG me requesting to be co-OPs, as I want at least one more.

I don't see why not, so sure i'll be a Co-Op.
Last edited by The Frozen Forest on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Add 3,981 to my Post Count

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:41 pm

The Frozen Forest wrote:
The V O I D wrote:Hey, Valyria, Frozen Forest; wanna be my co-OPs? Other volunteers may TG me requesting to be co-OPs, as I want at least one more.

I don't see why not, so sure i'll be a Co-Op.

Danke friend. Gonna try to finish the political map for tonight but if not, there's always tomorrow.

IC will be up once enough people app from the interest thread, but I'll have it ready by tomorrow hopefully.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Nation App - Imperium Aeternum

Formal Nation Name: High Kingdom of Scandinavia

Informal Nation Name: Scandinavia

Shortened Nation Name: Scandinavia

Flag: The civil-national flag of the Scandinavians is black as the night with a golden cross, and a fiery-red cross inside the golden cross. The arms of the cross extend to the edge of the flag, and their combined width is  2 ⁄ 9, but the red cross  1 ⁄ 9 of the combined width of the flag. The black areas are right angled rectangles, the rectilinear surfaces are parallel and the outer rectilinear surfaces as wide as the inner, but with 18 ⁄ 7 the length. The dimensions between the width and length are 18:29.

Coat of Arms/Other Symbols: Scandinavia does not maintain an official coat of arms. A plain black, gold, and yellow tricolour banner is sometimes used to represent its troops in battle.

Government Type: Constitutional monarchy, with features from not only from the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire, but also from traditional Nordic tribal governance.

Head of State: His Majesty Harald Knudsen (Harald VII), the High King of Scandinavia

Head of Government: Soren Jensen, President of the National Assembly (roughly equivalent to the Senate of the Republic)

Population: 7.17 millions

Location: Those provinces in this map that are coloured dark blue, minus the two provinces in Courland. Remove the two provinces in the Gold Coast also.

Influence: Primarily Rome, but with considerable Russian influence in the eastern provinces.

Military Population: 57,000 men, of which 27,000 infantry, 12,000 cavalry, and 18,000 artillery. 62 armoured ships.

History: The winds of change and civilisation came to Scandinavia, once a divided land of squabbling chiefs and raiders, with the expansion of the Roman Empire. The slow creep of technological and social advances from the south gave Ragnarr of Sjælland a decisive advantage that he needed to end, once and for all, the numerous disputes between the Jutland and Sjælland tribes. After considerable internal dispute concerning the transfer into male primogeniture, the details of which are lost to time, the Kingdom of Denmark was firmly established - the first truly organised Kingdom in Scandinavia, administrating its provinces through the Romans' methods. Contact with the Roman Empire itself was established soon afterwards and the resulting influence of Roman viceroys and merchants in Scandinavian affairs, especially the conversion of entire cities into Christianity, gave the Scandinavian nobility considerable cause for concern. Threatened by the outside influence and now aware of the cultural similarities that united the Scandinavian kingdoms together, the Scandinavian nobility sought to unite these kingdoms closer together politically. The end result of these efforts was the Danish-Swedish treaty of friendship and amity, signed in 997, and the ascent of Knut "the Imperious," the King of Denmark at the time, to the Norwegian throne in 1024. Although these efforts ultimately failed to prevent the spread of Christianity and elements of Roman culture into Scandinavian society, it was the first steps towards the later formation of a unified Scandinavian state.

The ascent of Selbjørn "the Conquerer" to the throne of Sweden decisively changed the course of Scandinavian history. Unlike previous Scandinavian rulers, who focused on competing with the other states of the area in competing for influence in the more civilised North Sea, Selbjørn the Conquerer almost abandoned his support for Swedish merchants in the North Sea, instead focusing his efforts towards consolidating Swedish power over the barbarian tribes to the east. Although initially, these efforts were wildly successful, progress became increasingly more difficult to maintain with the rise of Russian influence from the south. After a few large yet indecisive struggles against Russian influence, such as the Battle of Holmgård in 1204 (now more commonly known as the Battle of Novgorod) and the Battle of Aldeigja in 1230, it was tacitly agreed by both sides that Sweden will refrain from attempting to expand its influence south of the coastline around the Gulf of Finland and that Russia will similarly refrain from attempting to gain a foothold in the coast of the Gulf. The area that thereby fell under Swedish influence - today's Finland and Neva-Ingria - became consolidated into the Kingdom of Sweden gradually in the 14th and early 15th Centuries.

The series of wars which the Scandinavian states fought against their neighbours to the east and south in the centuries following and the growth of the Russian threat in the east brought the Scandinavian kingdoms even closer together, concluding a permanent alliance in 1487. It was, in fact, the Second Baltic War of 1594-1602 that set about the chain of events that led to the establishment of the Scandinavian state. The death of the King of Denmark-Norway in the Battle of Riga gave the throne to his daughter, Crown Princess Erika, who was engaged with the then Crown Prince of Sweden, Karl Johansson of the Selbjørn dynasty. The marriage was hastened by various political forces seeking to gain an advantage in courts both at home and abroad, and the son produced in this marriage, Rasmus Karlsson, became the first king of a unified Scandinavia by inheriting both the crowns of Sweden and of Denmark-Norway. Although initially a legal formality, over time, the administrations and governance of the two entities merged, forming a unified Scandinavian state.

Over time, Scandinavian influence in the east greatly declined as the more populous Russia slowly developed into a superpower. In the two centuries following the establishment of Scandinavia as a unified state, it had to not only allow Russia to expand its dominant influence as far north as the Kola Peninsula, but also had to concede land allowing Russia access to the Baltic. This perceived and real threat of Russia forced Scandinavia to diplomatically align itself very closely with the Roman Empire, even as Russian influence infiltrated its own territory, into Finland and Livonia.

Now, the winds of industrial change is arriving in Scandinavia also, and with it the winds of social unrest...

RP Example: I was from the concept thread.
Imperium - DO NOT REMOVE
Last edited by Plzen on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:46 pm

The V O I D wrote:
The Frozen Forest wrote:I don't see why not, so sure i'll be a Co-Op.

Danke friend. Gonna try to finish the political map for tonight but if not, there's always tomorrow.

IC will be up once enough people app from the interest thread, but I'll have it ready by tomorrow hopefully.

No problem, i'll do my best to keep the RP running smoothly if you should not be on. I'll have my application up tonight, i'm just going to estimate the population instead of looking for demographics of every single one of those little countries in West Africa.
Add 3,981 to my Post Count

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Reserving Mongolia.
Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:48 pm

The Frozen Forest wrote:i'm just going to estimate the population instead of looking for demographics of every single one of those little countries in West Africa.

You see, that's what I'm for.

Give me an area and I'll tally up population estimates for 1800.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:48 pm

The Frozen Forest wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

No problem, i'll do my best to keep the RP running smoothly if you should not be on. I'll have my application up tonight, i'm just going to estimate the population instead of looking for demographics of every single one of those little countries in West Africa.

Sounds good.

Tir Eskra
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tir Eskra » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:52 pm

Tag, reserve Ireland and Scotland please to be a Roman dependency.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse