NATION

PASSWORD

Universal Basic Income

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:59 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:Fortunately the idea does seem to be gaining traction. It was recently reported that in Canada, Ontario will do a test run of basic income in some areas, and some of the local politicians on the west coast are discussing it too.

Oh god capitalism is still mutating.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:12 pm

Setgavarius wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Fortunately the idea does seem to be gaining traction. It was recently reported that in Canada, Ontario will do a test run of basic income in some areas, and some of the local politicians on the west coast are discussing it too.

Now all we have to do is see if the corporate sector approves or disapproves.

Hey, its more money for people to buy their shit with, and it means they can further automate and outsource with less backlash from the people losing their jobs.

Which kind of casts UBI in a negative light, maybe, but I see it as a win-win. Because that shit is happening anyway, and at least this way it doesn't screw people over quite as badly.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Setgavarius
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Setgavarius » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:13 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Setgavarius wrote:Now all we have to do is see if the corporate sector approves or disapproves.

Hey, its more money for people to buy their shit with, and it means they can further automate and outsource with less backlash from the people losing their jobs.

Which kind of casts UBI in a negative light, maybe, but I see it as a win-win. Because that shit is happening anyway, and at least this way it doesn't screw people over quite as badly.

Fair enough. I see it as a benefit, though mainly my concern is heading off some disastrous war or the victory of luddites.
The Planetary Administration of Setgavarius,
The World of Snark

Core Colony of The United Colonies of Earth.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:

Don't worry. If Capitalism has to implement a UBI to stay afloat (which it will have to when automation really starts to hit hard in the next ~30 years), then it's final and utter collapse is but already assured.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:23 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:

I'd prefer to think of it as 'evolving'.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Daburuetchi wrote:

I'd prefer to think of it as 'evolving'.

And the thing about evolution is that if you evolve far enough, you become a different species altogether.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Venerable Bede
Minister

Founded: Nov 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Daburuetchi wrote:

Don't worry. If Capitalism has to implement a UBI to stay afloat (which it will have to when automation really starts to hit hard in the next ~30 years), then it's final and utter collapse is but already assured.

UBI is good for capitalism, it's not just a measure to "stay afloat". A lot of people would be spending the money on businesses, driving consumerism and capitalism.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim
Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. (Ecclesiastes 7:4)
A sacrifice to God is a brokenspirit; a broken and humbled heart God will not despise. (Psalm 50:19--Orthodox, Protestant 51:19)
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)
And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? (Luke 12:13-14)

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Daburuetchi wrote:

Corporatism and antilaborism someday, someday... :D
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Venerable Bede wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

UBI is good for capitalism, it's not just a measure to "stay afloat". A lot of people would be spending the money on businesses, driving consumerism and capitalism.

I doubt the UBI will be sustainable in the long run. Hell, already countries are having bigger and bigger issues funding and keep their universal healthcare and subsidized college afloat. In the States we're already facing a huge problem with pensions, Medicare, and Retirement plans (as the baby boomers get older). And as the population continues to grow, and as there are less and less people working due to a combination of automation and sluggish economic growth, these issues will only get worse. Take these things, put them on fucking steroids (in the form of UBI), and it surely will not be sustainable in the long run.

UBI is good for capitalism in the sense that it will prolong it's decline and keep the system running longer, just as the social democratic reforms of the 50's and 60's managed to quell class unrest for the time being. However, these will only stave off capitalism's death.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:UBI is good for capitalism, it's not just a measure to "stay afloat". A lot of people would be spending the money on businesses, driving consumerism and capitalism.

I doubt the UBI will be sustainable in the long run. Hell, already countries are having bigger and bigger issues funding and keep their universal healthcare and subsidized college afloat. In the State we're already facing a huge problem with pensions, Medicare, and Retirement plans. And as the population continues to grow, and as there are less and less people working due to a combination of automation and sluggish economic growth, these issues will only get worse. Take these things, put them on fucking steroids (in the form of UBI), and it surely will not be sustainable in the long run.

UBI is good for capitalism in the sense that it will prolong it's decline and keep the system running longer, just as the social democratic reforms of the 50's and 60's managed to quell class unrest for the time being. However, these will only stave off capitalism's death.

Entropy dictates its' destruction is inevitable, in one form or another.
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Universal basic income is simply necessary as we start to see more and more automation (and automation will happen regardless of if you move first and gain the productivity advantage or if you appeal to luddites and are left behind by the rapidly advancing word); the problem already exists with issues around high volume manufacturing jobs relocating away from developed countries to be left largely with a vacuum as those displaced aren't provided with appropriate funds to retrain and relocate. This situation will become far more serious as we move from world where there's gap is of skill to world where gap is of you not being an algorithm - to a point where it'll not only cause untold hardship for people but will actively damage economies because of lack of disposable cash. We need to move away from idea that having a stable job is the norm to norm being people not having fixed jobs at all. Only real solution is for the state to capitalist on the improved productivity and invest it in individuals in form of some kind of basic income.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:34 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:UBI is good for capitalism, it's not just a measure to "stay afloat". A lot of people would be spending the money on businesses, driving consumerism and capitalism.

I doubt the UBI will be sustainable in the long run. Hell, already countries are having bigger and bigger issues funding and keep their universal healthcare and subsidized college afloat. In the States we're already facing a huge problem with pensions, Medicare, and Retirement plans (as the baby boomers get older). And as the population continues to grow, and as there are less and less people working due to a combination of automation and sluggish economic growth, these issues will only get worse. Take these things, put them on fucking steroids (in the form of UBI), and it surely will not be sustainable in the long run.

UBI would be extremely sustainable if the U.S. tax rates weren't so low.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. (Ecclesiastes 7:4)
A sacrifice to God is a brokenspirit; a broken and humbled heart God will not despise. (Psalm 50:19--Orthodox, Protestant 51:19)
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)
And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? (Luke 12:13-14)

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Universal basic income is simply necessary as we start to see more and more automation (and automation will happen regardless of if you move first and gain the productivity advantage or if you appeal to luddites and are left behind by the rapidly advancing word); the problem already exists with issues around high volume manufacturing jobs relocating away from developed countries to be left largely with a vacuum as those displaced aren't provided with appropriate funds to retrain and relocate. This situation will become far more serious as we move from world where there's gap is of skill to world where gap is of you not being an algorithm - to a point where it'll not only cause untold hardship for people but will actively damage economies because of lack of disposable cash. We need to move away from idea that having a stable job is the norm to norm being people not having fixed jobs at all. Only real solution is for the state to capitalist on the improved productivity and invest it in individuals in form of some kind of basic income.

We could just start having mandatory vocational certification taught in high school, in case college doesn't pan-out.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Venerable Bede wrote:UBI would be extremely sustainable if the U.S. tax rates weren't so low.

And if it replaced/merged some of the existing social programs, like Social Security (which would be redundant if everyone was ensured a liveable income).

It could not, however, replace the need for a public health care system.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:38 pm

Venerable Bede wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

UBI would be extremely sustainable if the U.S. tax rates weren't so low.

No, it wouldn't. Especially when more and more people have to rely purely on it, and as more people are born, and as more people get older and become more expensive to take care of, the whole thing is not sustainable. This isn't taking into account the actual nature of capitalism, what with it's hunger for ever increasing, ever growing profits. The whole system is just unsustainable, it's going to collapse. The issue is a matter of when (which if it makes you feel any better, it's sure not going to happen our or our children's life times), and what will replace it.

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:
I doubt the UBI will be sustainable in the long run. Hell, already countries are having bigger and bigger issues funding and keep their universal healthcare and subsidized college afloat. In the State we're already facing a huge problem with pensions, Medicare, and Retirement plans. And as the population continues to grow, and as there are less and less people working due to a combination of automation and sluggish economic growth, these issues will only get worse. Take these things, put them on fucking steroids (in the form of UBI), and it surely will not be sustainable in the long run.

Entropy dictates its' destruction is inevitable, in one form or another.

Well now you're getting into the universe it's self dying off. From the point of view of entropy, everything is unsustainable.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:47 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:UBI would be extremely sustainable if the U.S. tax rates weren't so low.

No, it wouldn't. Especially when more and more people have to rely purely on it, and as more people are born, and as more people get older and become more expensive to take care of, the whole thing is not sustainable. This isn't taking into account the actual nature of capitalism, what with it's hunger for ever increasing, ever growing profits. The whole system is just unsustainable, it's going to collapse. The issue is a matter of when (which if it makes you feel any better, it's sure not going to happen our or our children's life times), and what will replace it.

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Entropy dictates its' destruction is inevitable, in one form or another.

Well now you're getting into the universe it's self dying off. From the point of view of entropy, everything is unsustainable.

Perhaps the one true constant in the universe is change.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:47 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Daburuetchi wrote:

To be replaced by what?

Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:48 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

No, it wouldn't. Especially when more and more people have to rely purely on it, and as more people are born, and as more people get older and become more expensive to take care of, the whole thing is not sustainable. This isn't taking into account actual natural capitalism, what with it's hunger for ever increasing, ever growing profits. The whole system is just unsustainable, it's going to collapse. The issue is a matter of when (which if it makes you feel any better, it's sure not going to happen our or our children's life times), and what will replace it.

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Entropy dictates its' destruction is inevitable, in one form or another.

Yes, there's that.
And as Romulan says, the only constant in this universe itself is that it is never constant.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:48 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

To be replaced by what?

Sozialismus of course.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:48 pm

Genivaria wrote:I'd prefer to think of it as 'evolving'.

And the thing about evolution is that if you evolve far enough, you become a different species altogether.

As long as it's an improvement I don't much care what we call it.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

To be replaced by what?

I'm not sure. Perhaps Socialism, perhaps we just all die?

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

Perhaps the one true constant in the universe is change.

Heraclitus, please.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Genivaria wrote:To be replaced by what?

Depending on how badly the next few decades go, the options in the event of capitalism's collapse (which I do not regard as inevitable) range from "Democratic Socialism" to "Totalitarianism" to "Extinction".

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Venerable Bede wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Universal basic income is simply necessary as we start to see more and more automation (and automation will happen regardless of if you move first and gain the productivity advantage or if you appeal to luddites and are left behind by the rapidly advancing word); the problem already exists with issues around high volume manufacturing jobs relocating away from developed countries to be left largely with a vacuum as those displaced aren't provided with appropriate funds to retrain and relocate. This situation will become far more serious as we move from world where there's gap is of skill to world where gap is of you not being an algorithm - to a point where it'll not only cause untold hardship for people but will actively damage economies because of lack of disposable cash. We need to move away from idea that having a stable job is the norm to norm being people not having fixed jobs at all. Only real solution is for the state to capitalist on the improved productivity and invest it in individuals in form of some kind of basic income.

We could just start having mandatory vocational certification taught in high school, in case college doesn't pan-out.

Hmm maybe but really the problem is skills taught in high school will be largely irrelevant by the time they get to actual jobs, the thought process might still be transferable sure but the underlying material itself is worthless. Twenty years after it was taught, yeah that's pointless - you need serious investment in adult retraining if you're going to try and fill the new vacancies by older workers; and governmental subsidy for cost of transporting to new location etc.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

Depending on how badly the next few decades go, the options in the event of capitalism's collapse (which I do not regard as inevitable) range from "Democratic Socialism" to "Totalitarianism" to "Extinction".

We're approaching a very great and gross filter indeed.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General