NATION

PASSWORD

Wine, Beer and Spirits: Discussion and Chat

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Wine, Beer and Spirits: Discussion and Chat

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:17 am

Ok,

So, in order to not incur the wrath of the supreme being known as Mods and Admin, I cant have a thread dedicated to just "Chat" about a certain subject. So in light of these requirements I want this thread to be a place of common ground for all drinkers and non-drinkers to come together and discuss all things Wine, Beer, and Spirits. Now before we begin I want to layout some ground rules for everyone to follow and I'm sure we can get behind them easily enough. if you have any questions regarding the statement/actions of another participant please come to me first. I will handle the administration of this thread, although I will hand over cases of extreme issues to the mods for final arbitration.

Rules and Regulations

1. All participants are remain mature in all posts and replies.
2. This thread is not to be used as a soap box to petition against the consumption of alcoholic beverages
3. Personal attacks against another participant for one's desire to consume a particular brand, type, style of beverage, or even at all is not allowed and you will be asked to not post further in the thread.
4.This is not a place to advertise for sales.
5. OP has final authority on what is and is not allowed in addition to stated rules.

Now,
Lets talk about what is allowed

Freedoms and Encouragement

1. Casual discussion about alcohol, and various beverages in terms of production, taste, crafting, recipes, etc.
2. Intellectual discussion about various styles, types and methods of production, Tastings, ratings, as well as ideas concerning improvements to these things.
3. Personal experiences with various beverages.
4. Discussions about drinking laws and the nations they belong to in relation to personal experiences and desire to expand or retract those laws.

So without future delay... Lets Drink... er... I mean talk!
Last edited by Hobbeebia on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Sig installed please insert boot media and press any key to continue

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:24 am

As the Op I would like to Posit to everyone a question:

Which do you prefer? Wine, Beer, and/or Spirits?

This is a question which I believe is both simple and complex. When I first started drinking it was beer, mainly because it was the first I ever had. I had always seen Wine as a dry, nasty grape juice and generally didn't want to try it and give it a chance. I was more inclined to try various liquors for an equally various amount of reasons, but I found I had a taste early on for darker spirits like Amaretto's and spiced rums. Of course as a young drinker everything tasted the same- harsh and nasty, but the buzz was good. Now however, as a far more mature drinker I found I had wasted many of my early drinking years and missed out on the wonderful world of flavor and variety. I learned that not all top self is best and not all bottom self is bad.

Now, I can say without thinking that wine has become my favorite drink of choice. This is not because of the buzz anymore either, but is because of the culture and art of wine, wineries and vineyards.

Raven Corps
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Raven Corps » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:58 am

Hobbeebia wrote:As the Op I would like to Posit to everyone a question:

Which do you prefer? Wine, Beer, and/or Spirits?

This is a question which I believe is both simple and complex. When I first started drinking it was beer, mainly because it was the first I ever had. I had always seen Wine as a dry, nasty grape juice and generally didn't want to try it and give it a chance. I was more inclined to try various liquors for an equally various amount of reasons, but I found I had a taste early on for darker spirits like Amaretto's and spiced rums. Of course as a young drinker everything tasted the same- harsh and nasty, but the buzz was good. Now however, as a far more mature drinker I found I had wasted many of my early drinking years and missed out on the wonderful world of flavor and variety. I learned that not all top self is best and not all bottom self is bad.

Now, I can say without thinking that wine has become my favorite drink of choice. This is not because of the buzz anymore either, but is because of the culture and art of wine, wineries and vineyards.

Beer will forever reign in my book. Although I do like a good Methaglin mead if done properly.

I cant think back to a time that beer hasnt been in my life in some form or another. I lived a few years in Germany and in Irelandas well so beer was always in steady supply.

Edit:

I would have to say of the beer family Lager is my most go to drink. Although a strong stout is good to.
Last edited by Raven Corps on Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Raven Corporation- A Multi-National Corporation ... Not a Nation

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:58 am

Speaking of Stouts,

There is a guy in m hometown that started his own brewery a while back and he has a Stout called the "Shadowcaster". Super malty but it has strong coffee notes so it balances its sweetness with the coffee's bitterness. My brother and I went there when I last visited and I had about 3 pints and felt great LOL

Kornosia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kornosia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Firstly,
Its about time someone made a thread for this on here.

Secondly,
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33134/112239/

Good name for a good dark beer :)

and it was reclassified into a porter I think. Still awesome though!

As to your question: MEAD!!!!!

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Being that it is veterans day here in America, I'm looking very much forward to going to Olive Garden for a free entree and a nice cold 22oz Shock top.

Btw:

For all the vets out here, here is a list of deals at chain restaurants.

http://militarybenefits.info/veterans-d ... ree-meals/

Kornosia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kornosia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Ah hell ya! Gonna get my grub on!

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:50 pm

there is a place here in Houston called the Republic House that serves a free New York Stripe with your choice of any craft beer either draft or bottle. although we all know the draft is best since it comes no smaller than a pint. :)

There are a couple of really good local craft brews that are served there so I'm probably going to hit there up first on my whirlwind tour of free meals and drinks today :)

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:there is a place here in Houston called the Republic House that serves a free New York Stripe with your choice of any craft beer either draft or bottle. although we all know the draft is best since it comes no smaller than a pint. :)

There are a couple of really good local craft brews that are served there so I'm probably going to hit there up first on my whirlwind tour of free meals and drinks today :)

My part of Florida has allot of cool microbreweries. Local beer is great.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:14 pm

:) Florida is my old Stomping grounds, born in Miami, raised near Tampa and lived on my own in the Panhandle near Panama city beach.

Florida really loves its Brewers, Wineries and Distilleries. I once looked at starting one myself and Florida actually offered my tax credits and special grant funding to get one going. but I was afraid of start up and back away.

Kornosia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kornosia » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Met a homebrewer today who turned a maple syrup into a maple vodka... itvwas awesome.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:46 pm

I found an American Kölsch brewer.

Crazy Awesome as this is has anyone else had this kind of beer before? If you have does it taste super light on all the notes of flavor to you as well?

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Beer's just water to me. Wine's nice for tge taste, but I like my liquor. Rum and whisky are by far my favourite, especially if its Crown.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:Beer's just water to me. Wine's nice for tge taste, but I like my liquor. Rum and whisky are by far my favourite, especially if its Crown.

Speaking of Crown has you had a Kentucky Derbie yet? (Three flavors of Crown- Original, Maple and Apple) It literally tastes like a Caramel Apple in liquid form. As for beer being like water- try some of the stronger styles. I had a porter recently from a microbrewery that had like a 12% contain. two or three of those and you'll feel pretty good.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:25 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:Beer's just water to me. Wine's nice for tge taste, but I like my liquor. Rum and whisky are by far my favourite, especially if its Crown.

Speaking of Crown has you had a Kentucky Derbie yet? (Three flavors of Crown- Original, Maple and Apple) It literally tastes like a Caramel Apple in liquid form. As for beer being like water- try some of the stronger styles. I had a porter recently from a microbrewery that had like a 12% contain. two or three of those and you'll feel pretty good.

I cant drink anymore sadly. Mainstream beers in the states are nasty. Im old fashioned, I like my whisky, and my whisky alone.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:32 pm

My condolences,

I have toned down the level of consumption recently myself on voluntary term. Getting older I just can keep up with the youngsters these days, either that or I just cant stand them when they drink. I have found with age I like the art of enjoying these drinks more than the effects they provide.

This is why I made the thread- give people a place to talk, and discuss all things alcohol in a mature setting.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:My condolences,

I have toned down the level of consumption recently myself on voluntary term. Getting older I just can keep up with the youngsters these days, either that or I just cant stand them when they drink. I have found with age I like the art of enjoying these drinks more than the effects they provide.

This is why I made the thread- give people a place to talk, and discuss all things alcohol in a mature setting.

Heh. I drank too much, but I cant now because of the meds Im on.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Beer is awesome for me. Any beer, I'll take it, IPA or light beer that tastes like piss, I just love it. Probably cause I'm young and not all too cultured. No shame in that.

I love red wine but not white wine. Rum is by far my drink of choice. Bacardi Gold + Lemonade + Mint from my backyard garden = like the most divine creation ever. Seriously guys.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Also, Malt Liquor is amazing. But only on special occasions because its so high in calories and carbs.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
Hobbeebia wrote:

I cant drink anymore sadly. Mainstream beers in the states are nasty. Im old fashioned, I like my whisky, and my whisky alone.

Whiskey and Water has really been the choice drink lately. Though the recent sale of fosters at my local publix had be revisit beer.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:23 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:Which do you prefer? Wine, Beer, and/or Spirits?

BEER. Although wine comes in a close second.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 pm

This time of year for me is always beer time. The chilly weather goes great with warm beers and the all-spice flavors of some of the autumn tradition, less hoppy than normal so its easy drinking them.

I've been trying to expand my horizons with a great number of drinks ever since I decided to go back to school for Fermentation Sciences and I've been trying my hand at homebrewing on a very small scale.

Lots of terms, but its been an awesome adventure thus far.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Hobbeebia wrote:Which do you prefer? Wine, Beer, and/or Spirits?

BEER. Although wine comes in a close second.

I'm not sure anymore. Wine used to be my go to choice since its easy to pair with foods, but I have also gained a huge understanding of the art to brewing and the intricate flavors it can provide.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:I'm not sure anymore. Wine used to be my go to choice since its easy to pair with foods, but I have also gained a huge understanding of the art to brewing and the intricate flavors it can provide.

I'm not into the brewery scene, largely because there's only one brewery where I live. Their beer isn't bad but I prefer more mainstream beers. Just used to the taste.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Hobbeebia wrote:I'm not sure anymore. Wine used to be my go to choice since its easy to pair with foods, but I have also gained a huge understanding of the art to brewing and the intricate flavors it can provide.

I'm not into the brewery scene, largely because there's only one brewery where I live. Their beer isn't bad but I prefer more mainstream beers. Just used to the taste.

If you ever decide to get into the Brewery scene save some money and go to Bamberg, Germany and follow the Brewery Trail.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General