NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Right to Privacy

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Greenlandic People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

PASSED: Right to Privacy

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:35 am

This is a new resolution I'm working which I'm pretty sure hasn't been covered here in the GA (I checked but I could have missed it). Anyway, I still need a lot of help hammering it out, and I'm still trying to decide what strength I should classify it as. It's a little ambitious for my first resolution, but it's something I feel strongly about and really want to work on so...here we are:

Right to Privacy

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Strong?
Proposed By: Greenlandic People

Description:

The World Assembly,

BELIEVING that privacy and the right to withhold secrets and information is an inelliable right endowed to all human beings

ASSERTING that privacy is a right that must be defended from those who would violate it

CONCERNED that there are countries and organizations which refuse to respect the peoples basic right to privacy

CONVINCED that such violations of this basic right endanger both democracy and freedom in equal measure

Hereby:

1. DEFINES 'privacy' as the ability of an individual or group to seclude themselves or information about themselves and thereby reveal themselves selectively

2. ESTABLISHES that there are several different types of privacy, including:
(A) Physical Privacy: the right to prevent intrusions into ones property and personal articles
(B) Informational Privacy: the right to withhold information about oneself, including a persons race, sex, religious and sexual orientation, etc.
(C) Organizational Privacy: the right of governments or other organizations to withhold information regarding their activities and dealings in relation to other organizations and individuals

3. FORBIDS trespassing within the property of another person without the consent of that person unless authorized by the clauses contained in Section 5

4. OUTLAWS the use of espionage or covert surveillance programs performed without the knowledge of the citizens with the intent of monitoring citizens or acquiring their personal information unless authorized by law; also outlaws invasive searching of citizens without reasonable cause for suspicion.

5. CONDONES limited infringements of personal privacy in the interest of serving the law under the following circumstances:
(A)The detective(s) researching the case has filed to the appropriate authorities for a warrant permitting him the right to violate the liberties in question
(B)The official appointed to acquire the information is limited to investigate only within areas and topics which are likely to contain the necessary evidence
(C)The persons(s) related to the acts are given the right to object, with the legality of the objection to be subject to the decision of a qualified judge

6. URGES that member states implement programs to protect the right to privacy of persons who have been involved in high-profile crimes

7. SUGGESTS that member states include lessons on the important of privacy in the curriculum of their schools

8. ALLOWS member states to pass laws demanding that corporations or other business organizations reveal information related to financial performance and formal transactions in the interest of transparency and free competition
Last edited by Sirocco on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 am, edited 9 times in total.
Member of ODECON
Regional Pages: Forum | Web page | Wiki Page
National Pages: Wiki | Factbook
Author of GA Resolutions: #58 | #64

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: [DRAFT]Right to Privacy

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:00 am

Sounds like a good idea. The Mind of Charlotte Ryberg has extensive privacy protection laws and a WA resolution would serve to support the principle of protecting privacy of the civilians.

4. OUTLAWS the use of espionage or other surveillance programs, either covert or blatant, with the intent of monitoring citizens or acquiring their personal information

Not sure about this though: it may ban CCTV cameras in establishments.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:55 am

How does this impact the access a woman may or may not have to an abortion?
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:07 pm

It...does not? It doesn't have any effect on the right to an abortion

EDIT: I'm going to post some revisions later tonight
Last edited by Greenlandic People on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of ODECON

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:29 pm

5. CONDONES limited infringements of personal privacy in the interest of performing a fair and equitable trial of law under the following circumstances:
(A)The judge has ruled that there is reasonable cause to believe that the acts can help to solve the case in question
(B)The person(s) to whom the acts are related is warned at least twenty-four hours in advance in advance that the acts are to be performed
(C)The persons(s) related to the acts are given the right to object to their performance with the legality of the objection to be subject to the decision of the presiding judge

So, basically, police cannot go on drug raids without giving the party twenty four hours to clean up their act and hide their stash elsewhere? Sorry, not going to fly with us. We will not be giving any suspected criminal twenty four hours to hide any evidence we hope to gain by infringing their personal privacy.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Ditto. Perhaps you should include a clause permitting detective to infringe on the privacy of the suspect with the court order obtained from a judge provided they have enough evidence. The whole "hey we're gonna be raiding you tomorrow" thing is a bit pointless.
Last edited by Sanctaria on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Privacy is a wonderful right. It is also a profitable right. People would pay handsome for all the privacy in the world. This proposal would have Meekinos' support.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:32 pm

So, basically, police cannot go on drug raids without giving the party twenty four hours to clean up their act and hide their stash elsewhere? Sorry, not going to fly with us. We will not be giving any suspected criminal twenty four hours to hide any evidence we hope to gain by infringing their personal privacy.

I know, trust me I cringed when I re-read that sentence. I'll post me edits in a minute
Member of ODECON

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm

Updated draft. I removed the 24 hour warning for suspects and tried to tighten a few clauses. Changes are in bold.

Also, I'll be away for a week and have limited internet access in the interim, so I may not be able to respons to inputs right away.

Right to Privacy

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Strong?
Proposed By: Greenlandic People

Description:

The World Assembly,

BELIEVING that privacy and the right to withhold secrets and information is an inelliable right endowed to all human beings

ASSERTING that privacy is a right that must be defended from those who would violate it

CONCERNED that there are countries and organizations which refuse to respect the peoples basic right to privacy

CONVINCED that such violations of this basic right endanger both democracy and freedom in equal measure

Hereby:

1. DEFINES 'privacy' as the ability of an individual or group to seclude themselves or information about themselves and thereby reveal themselves selectively

2. ESTABLISHES that there are several different types of privacy, including:
(A) Physical Privacy: the right to prevent intrusions into ones personal space, including property and personal articles
(B) Informational Privacy: the right to withhold information and data about oneself, including a persons race, sex, religious and sexual orientation, finances, medical records, and political views
(C) Organizational Privacy: the right of governments or other organizations to withhold information regarding their activities and dealings in relation to other organizations and individuals

3. FORBIDS trespassing within the personal space or property of another person without the explicit consent of that person unless authorized by the clauses contained in Section 5

4. OUTLAWS the use of espionage or covert surveillance programs performed without the knowledge of the citizens with the intent of monitoring citizens or acquiring their personal information

5. CONDONES limited infringements of personal privacy in the interest of performing a fair and equitable trial of law under the following circumstances:
(A)The judge has ruled that there is reasonable cause to believe that the acts can help to solve the case in question
(B)The official appointed to acquire the information is limited to investigate only within areas and topics which are likely to contain the necessary evidence
(C)The persons(s) related to the acts are given the right to object to their performance with the legality of the objection to be subject to the decision of the presiding judge

6. URGES that member states implement programs to protect the right to privacy of persons who have been involved in high-profile crimes

7. SUGGESTS that member states include lessons on the important of privacy in the curriculum of their schools

8. BESEECHES member states to punish violators of privacy to the fullest extent of the law

9. MANDATES that citizens have the right to view their personal information about them collected by the government upon request

10. ALLOWS member states to demand that corporations or other business organizations reveal information related to financial performance and transactions in the interest of transparency and free competition
Member of ODECON

Berzerkirs
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Berzerkirs » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Oh, I´m sorry, I thought this was Right to Piracy, my bad.
We RP as Kiojin.
Quotes and Such
"If you're under 30 and not a liberal, you have no heart.
If you're over 30 and not a conservative, you have no brain."

Manahakatouki wrote:
Berzerkirs wrote:The Incan god of the moon jizzed on the earth, and so sprouted the grass and various other plants.
True story. ;)

I was there...I told him to freakin' clean it up...He refused, peeing thus on some of his jizz...These my friends are dandelions...

^That was for you WWIIHG! <3

Member of CoD [Council of Dictators]

"You laughed, therefore I'm right."-Berz

Doctor Cyclops
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Doctor Cyclops » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Greenlandic People wrote:3. FORBIDS trespassing within the personal space or property of another person without the explicit consent of that person unless authorized by the clauses contained in Section 5

Define "personal space."

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Doctor Cyclops wrote:
Greenlandic People wrote:3. FORBIDS trespassing within the personal space or property of another person without the explicit consent of that person unless authorized by the clauses contained in Section 5

Define "personal space."

Good point. Since 'personal space' is already a well understood social concept, do you think it would be best to drop personal space altogether and leave it as only personal property.
Member of ODECON

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Well because he wrote "or property", I took that to mean "personal space" and "property" were the same. Mainly because if you accidently bumped into someone, under this proposal, that would be an illegal act. And that's just plain stupid. And the author seems somewhat intelligent so..."property" = "personal space".

But that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Yeah, just dump personal space.
Last edited by Sanctaria on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:12 pm

There needs to be something that allows a nation to waive a person's right to privacy if national security is being threatened. The Imperial Republic is pretty iffy about this one. We don't believe there's any problem with monitoring a person in public. In the privacy of one's own home is where the government has no business. Perhaps the WA should focus more on that aspect rather than trying to secure a right to privacy at any point.

4. OUTLAWS the use of espionage or covert surveillance programs performed without the knowledge of the citizens with the intent of monitoring citizens or acquiring their personal information

This would cause all police surveillance to be illegal. No more following suspects to catch them in a crime without their knowledge. No more undercover police work. It's been outlawed by this clause. Undercover police work and surveillance is done with the intent of monitoring suspected criminal citizens for the purpose of safeguarding law abiding citizens.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Omega Uliza
Diplomat

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Omega Uliza » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:58 pm

I'm curious as to how this will affect government's spying on other country's citizens and governments.

I'm also curious to know how this affect government's attempting to hide information that they deem 'classified', which under that context alone...I see a terrible occurence coming in my mind's eye.

If government's have the right to keep things 'classified' and have the right to keep such things private, I can see a few extremists using this to hide the fact they're really spying on their citizens. This in and of itself would be against the law according to this proposal yes...but if it was classified, who would ever know? And if the government has the right to keep it private...how do you find out about it?
Merry old winters oh merry old winters,
Eye of the eye oh can't you see?
Can't you see it has always been me,
Love of my life oh love of my life....

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:42 am

I like the basic idea, though I share some of the reservations expressed here. Perhaps the resolution should focus more on the right of individuals to be free from surveillance or invasion of privacy in their own homes or anywhere else they have a "reasonable expectation of privacy," as the legal phrase goes.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:51 am

We recognize this as a good resolution, but we're aganist it. Political views.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Tiesabre
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiesabre » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:56 am

Though we in Tiesabre respect our people's right to privacy. We do recognize some more 'aggressive' countries invade this right as a means of security and may feel we are stomping on a nation's right to protect themselves against internal threats.
Psycho Baby: I find atheists who disparage others for believing are not any better than theists who try to shove it down others' throats.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
Miss. Vivian Smith, Foreign Affairs-in-Chief and WA Ambassador

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:24 am

Rather than going through and adding little sentence fragments I believe this proposal is in severe need of some exceptions to the rules. The matter of police investigations is not a light one, nor one that can be explained so shortly. Or security cameras. Or a number of other things that, while being invasive, serve a perfectly practical purpose.

proposal wrote:5. CONDONES limited infringements of personal privacy in the interest of performing a fair and equitable trial of law under the following circumstances:

Frankly, this just doesn't cut the mustard for me. For starters... why should a judge rule on what is or isn't reasonable cause to invade a suspected criminal's privacy? I'd think that a certain amoun of condemning evidence would need to be gathered before the case was ever presented to a judge.

I think it would be better to outline some due process for obtaining a 'search warrant,' and leave it in the hands of the police.

proposal wrote:4. OUTLAWS the use of espionage or covert surveillance programs performed without the knowledge of the citizens with the intent of monitoring citizens or acquiring their personal information

This is where it seems we run into the problem of banks, for example, no longer being able to adequately provide for their own security. And again, we're severely limiting police forces.

I agree with the intent behind the resolution and I also understand that the author is limited by the number of characters he can use. Therefore, for the sake of brevity, I believe this proposal would benefit from a brief description of what are private areas and what are public areas. And, space allowing, perhaps even a list of allowed uses. Security, certainly, is worth mentioning.

Speaking bluntly, I believe that if a person is concerned with their privacy in a public area they are probably doing something that they shouldn't.

proposal wrote:(C) Organizational Privacy: the right of governments or other organizations to withhold information regarding their activities and dealings in relation to other organizations and individuals

This needs serious work, I think. We're going to let governments hide anything they want from its citizens? We're going to let banks withold information from inquiries? We're going to let businesses withhold information from stockholders? The implications of this could be catastrophic.

Of course, with all that said, I love the idea behind this. I'm definately opposed until some serious changes are made though.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Bahgum
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 18, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Bahgum » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:47 am

Whilst Bahgum agrees with general principle we have to make it clear that this proposal will not be workable in all nations. For example have you met a Bahgumian Mother in Law? Personal privacy is simply an interesting mornings challenge to them.

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Absolvability wrote:Rather than going through and adding little sentence fragments I believe this proposal is in severe need of some exceptions to the rules. The matter of police investigations is not a light one, nor one that can be explained so shortly. Or security cameras. Or a number of other things that, while being invasive, serve a perfectly practical purpose.

proposal wrote:5. CONDONES limited infringements of personal privacy in the interest of performing a fair and equitable trial of law under the following circumstances:

Frankly, this just doesn't cut the mustard for me. For starters... why should a judge rule on what is or isn't reasonable cause to invade a suspected criminal's privacy? I'd think that a certain amoun of condemning evidence would need to be gathered before the case was ever presented to a judge.

I think it would be better to outline some due process for obtaining a 'search warrant,' and leave it in the hands of the police.

proposal wrote:4. OUTLAWS the use of espionage or covert surveillance programs performed without the knowledge of the citizens with the intent of monitoring citizens or acquiring their personal information

This is where it seems we run into the problem of banks, for example, no longer being able to adequately provide for their own security. And again, we're severely limiting police forces.

I agree with the intent behind the resolution and I also understand that the author is limited by the number of characters he can use. Therefore, for the sake of brevity, I believe this proposal would benefit from a brief description of what are private areas and what are public areas. And, space allowing, perhaps even a list of allowed uses. Security, certainly, is worth mentioning.

Speaking bluntly, I believe that if a person is concerned with their privacy in a public area they are probably doing something that they shouldn't.

proposal wrote:(C) Organizational Privacy: the right of governments or other organizations to withhold information regarding their activities and dealings in relation to other organizations and individuals

This needs serious work, I think. We're going to let governments hide anything they want from its citizens? We're going to let banks withold information from inquiries? We're going to let businesses withhold information from stockholders? The implications of this could be catastrophic.

Of course, with all that said, I love the idea behind this. I'm definately opposed until some serious changes are made though.

I'm going to edit the first two cited points, but as for the third one: governments have always had the right to hide things. Clause 10 will help reassure you, but I'm not going to infringe on the soverign right to hide important national information. Freedom of information is not what this is about.
Member of ODECON

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Greenlandic People wrote:Governments have always had the right to hide things.

Well, that depends on how your nation is run. In many the government is considered to be accountable to its people. Personally, I feel that there is a distinct difference between what rights a government has and what liberties it might take because it is, in perception, above the law. Of course the concerns I expressed were not only about the government. I can also see businesses abusing the newfound 'right.'

However, if you make the other changes that I requested, I suppose it won't be a big deal. It is indeed a nation's sovereign right to decide its own disclosure policies. I hope that when you make your changes you might include something specific about investigating illegal business practices as well as the whole 'search warrant' thing for suspected individuals.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Gottesland (Ancient)
Secretary

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gottesland (Ancient) » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:54 pm

I support this resolution on grounds that Privacy is an unalienable right. However, I have a question about covert surveillance practices. What is your take on law enforcement observing a suspect covertly? What if the suspect background raises red flags like crazy? where do you draw the line?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Greenlandic People wrote:Freedom of information is not what this is about.

I'm a bit confused here. How can you write a Proposal on the Right of Privacy and not have the Freedom of Information in mind?

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Greenlandic People wrote:Freedom of information is not what this is about.

I'm a bit confused here. How can you write a Proposal on the Right of Privacy and not have the Freedom of Information in mind?

That would be an example of rhetoric fallen flat. I misspoke; of course the right to information is an important part of this resolution
Member of ODECON

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives