NATION

PASSWORD

Issue 614: How Much Is That Vote In The Window? (Spoilers?)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Islaamistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Issue 614: How Much Is That Vote In The Window? (Spoilers?)

Postby Islaamistan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:34 pm

After recent elections in Islaamistan, journalists calculated that over eighty percent of the money donated to candidates came from less than a dozen notable corporations. After years of protests about the corruption in the election system, several major voices have finally managed to sneak or bribe their way to your desk.

The Debate

“How could we let this happen?” moans Debbie Eugenia, spokesperson for Citizens United for Responsible, Sane Elections. “Well, it’s pretty easy,” she says as she shows you a complicated diagram linking various politicians to numerous corporations. “For years our nation’s elections have been subverted by dark Dinars from unaccountable private donors! You can see the chains of corruption laid out right here - go on, look at the flow chart!” Indeed, there are some prominent politicians’ names on the chart, but you don’t have time to make much of it before she continues. “It’s long past time to put real limits on how much can be donated in an election! ARGH,” she faints after being hit with a tranqualizer dart.

Accept

As your staffers drag the unconscious body of the activist away, two activist CEOs known as the Kone Sisters make their case. “Please don’t listen to this wacko,” pleads Carolyn Kone, who donated over a million Dinars to the mayor of Emirabad’s campaign last year. “We need to be able to give freely if we want to truly represent our wealth - I mean, the people’s voice! If anything, we should be thanking the donors for picking the right candidate.” Danielle Kone, who donated to the mayor’s rival last year, interjects. “Maybe we could dip into the government’s coffers to refund their donations to the winning campaign. Think of it as a boon to competition – raising the stakes like that will lead to better business models and better candidates!”

Accept

Out of nowhere Hayek Freedman, Professor of Economics and Philosophy at the University of Emirabad-Oldtown, falls through your ceiling, then still somehow manages to strut calmly to your desk. “Hold up a minute, Mehmud I. Neither of these lunatics knows what they’re talking about. Allowing such huge campaign donations is incredibly wasteful; the whole economy would be better off without that drain. Yet we can’t deny that indeed, corporations are people, my friend. So how is it we still haven’t given them the right to vote? Economic justice means instead of ‘one person, one vote,’ we say ‘one Dinar, one vote!’ We’ll just give natural persons AND corporations one vote for each Dinar they earn every year. If you truly want to hear the voice of the people, not to mention cut way down on tax evasion, then let their wallets speak for them!”

Has anyone got this issue and if so then what option did you choose and what was the result?
Last edited by Islaamistan on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Established October 1st, 2001

National Factbook | Capital City | Islaamistani National Army | More Info To Be Added!

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 pm

I believe that this is a new issue. You should post it in the Spoiler thread that's stickied in this forum including with it all the text, the issue number, the title, and the author and editor.

As for the options, at a brief glance, #1 will reduce political freedom and corruption, #2 will do the opposite (increase freedoms and corruption), and #3 will most likely vary the most depending on the initial stats and conditions of the nation (it would limit or get rid of corporate donations to campaigns by the way I read it, but would give corporations the right to vote too.)
See You Space Cowboy...

Islaamistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Islaamistan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Drasnia wrote:I believe that this is a new issue. You should post it in the Spoiler thread that's stickied in this forum including with it all the text, the issue number, the title, and the author and editor.

As for the options, at a brief glance, #1 will reduce political freedom and corruption, #2 will do the opposite (increase freedoms and corruption), and #3 will most likely vary the most depending on the initial stats and conditions of the nation (it would limit or get rid of corporate donations to campaigns by the way I read it, but would give corporations the right to vote too.)

Will do and thanks!
Established October 1st, 2001

National Factbook | Capital City | Islaamistani National Army | More Info To Be Added!

Empire of East Prussia
Civilian

Founded: Nov 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of East Prussia » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:02 am

Option 2 boosts your economy

Modra
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Modra » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:23 am

I choose Option 2. Political Freedoms rose a bit, Corruption by 148%.

Economic output did increase, so did Taxation, but I liked it that Public Education and Healthcare increased too which was what I wanted.

Return to Got Issues?