NATION

PASSWORD

AXIS (Superhero, Interest)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

AXIS (Superhero, Interest)

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:21 pm

I used to be a high ranking government official. That's all I'll say. It was the kind of position you'd never officially hear about. It was the kind of job that didn't get any admiration from the public. People looked at me and saw a government hiding things from its citizens. People looked at me and saw shady government organizations and projects. People saw their tax payer money going to something that wouldn't benefit them. People looked at me and saw everything wrong with America. Did I care? Did it bother me? No, because I wasn't just a government official. I didn't just have my job in my life. I was also a husband and a father.

I never particularly liked the superheroes, not like most people. When people looked at them they saw hope. People saw inspiration. They saw something to strive towards. These so called heroes made the world a better place. I never believed it, I lived my life with my wife and two children and did my job.

The so called superheroes were fighting supervillains in a city one day. They were throwing each other through buildings, throwing cars, destroying the city. Falling rubble from a skyscraper fell on civilians. I lost half my face, and my wife and two children lost everything. I died inside that day. After the so called heroes defeated the villains they went home. They celebrated their victory. They didn't care about the little guys. That my family died as collateral damage and they didn't even notice. They didn't care that my life had ended.

I tried, I really tried, to not let my hatred consume me. To not let my burning hatred for the superhumans affect my decisions. To have cold hard logic be the driving force in my reasoning. That's why I kept doing my job until the world finally saw the so called heroes like I do. When they took over. When they decided their power meant they could take humanity's destiny into their own inhuman hands. When that happened the governments of the world activated AXIS, and I became who I am now. I will do whatever it takes for humanity to control its own fate.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Inhuman power corrupts inhumanly.

Welcome to AXIS, my attempt on an original take on a superhero RP. The basic idea of the RP is that the world has been defined in recent history by costumed superheroes who have used their powers to protect the world, but they are and always were flawed people. Though far from evil when contrasted with supervillains, these heroes were as fundamentally flawed as anyone else. From giving in to human urges occasionally, to having a moral view warped and skewed by power, attention, and accountability, the heroes of this world have shaped it to the point where human civilization now depended on something inhuman to exist.

The superheroes used to fight against supervillains. These battles seemed to be endless, and many villains would always come back no matter how many times they were defeated. This all happened in the RP's backstory however. It's like your parent's high school days, important once but not now. Over many years the superheroes became jaded and cynical. The villains were never permanently defeated or rehabilitated. Meanwhile people died in the crossfire. Whenever the heroes tried to take more extreme actions they were heavily criticized. The superheroes came to believe the old ways didn't work. That they couldn't truly call themselves heroes if they allowed the world to continue in its broken state. The old system didn't work.

The superheroes eventually formed FLAGG. Officially FLAGG advises the governments of the world. Unofficially its authority is greater than that of any government. Unofficially the superheroes took over the world. Moving quickly and quietly, the superheroes simply started to do things they'd never done before. For the first time they started to kill, and to imprison. They readily made backroom deals with influential figures. They appealed directly to the people and even encouraged uprising. By the time the governments of the world knew what was happening the superheroes had already undermined them. They made demands that seemed benign when looked at individually, but before they knew it the superheroes had taken over the world from the world's governments.

The idea that the superheroes could turn against the governments of the world had been thought of before. Years before FLAGG was formed the governments of the world created the AXIS project. The goal of AXIS was to stop the superheroes should they ever turn against humanity. When FLAGG was formed the AXIS project was activated. AXIS used whatever it could against the superheroes. Neutral superhumans were recruited. Former supervillains were recruited. Political prisoners of FLAGG were rescued. Scientists were given funding for their projects. Skilled criminals who would have rotted in jail were recruited. On top of this AXIS receives funding from world governments even as they are controlled by FLAGG. Though AXIS could do nothing to stop FLAGG from taking over, it works underground to eventually defeat the superheroes.

The RP begins with the fifth year of FLAGG's rule. As the inhuman one world government solidifies its control, AXIS is finally ready to fight back. AXIS believes that the superheroes should be defeated so that humanity can reclaim its freedom, but FLAGG believes that the old ways never worked and that they can truly help the world. Oddly for a superhero story, in the world of AXIS you'll find that heroism is relative.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:09 am

Bump

The Irish County of the Beare-Mor
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish County of the Beare-Mor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:25 am

i'm interested.
Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

"Want more comedy in your RP? Join "The Infinites!", the lamest group of D-level heroes who are out to save the day. Still open and still seeking players. OOC and IC

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:40 am

Mmm...interesting..since the other RP you made likely died..

Cult of brand shei
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cult of brand shei » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:44 am

Tag
Seems nice but wondering what is the limit on the powers? Could they deform you in some ways?

Kinky Bastards
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinky Bastards » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:51 am

First I thought this was a WWII-themed rp, just by reading the title, but even though it's not, it sounds fun.

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:07 am

Could I be a Canadian?

Zaurell
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zaurell » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:13 am

This sounds great.
Mostly retired from NS. Telegram me if you like but response time may be extremely slow

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:23 am

Great Canadian Dominion wrote:Could I be a Canadian?

I don't see why not.

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 12, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:40 pm

What kind of powers are acceptable and what are not?

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm thinking about either having the power to become a bear or have ice-powers. Also you should limit each power to one person, so only one person can fly or have super strength, etc.

Nachfolgia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Resistance against a regime people thought would protect them? Color me interested. I like unique takes on super heroes and offer my services if anyone needs help.

Military Factbook
The best damn alliance to ever grace NS
Strike witches

Accomplished Member of the The Age Of Neophytos RP Group

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Great Canadian Dominion wrote:I'm thinking about either having the power to become a bear or have ice-powers. Also you should limit each power to one person, so only one person can fly or have super strength, etc.

That seems kinda... Weird. Then you just pick powers that have multiple uses.

Beruka
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Beruka » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Does this have to be realistic, or...? (Looks at my spectral character in the sidelines)

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:03 pm

Beruka wrote:Does this have to be realistic, or...? (Looks at my spectral character in the sidelines)

Realism and superhumans are two words that shouldn't go together IMO.

Beruka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Beruka » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:04 pm

The Republic of Atria wrote:
Beruka wrote:Does this have to be realistic, or...? (Looks at my spectral character in the sidelines)

Realism and superhumans are two words that shouldn't go together IMO.

I was just wondering, since I had a character who looks a bit like a ghost.

(Also, I don't really like Realism when it restricts my characters)

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:06 pm

The Republic of Atria wrote:What kind of powers are acceptable and what are not?

I'm not sure yet. I feel like no one should be stronger than the strongest superhero NPCs in FLAGG, and the FLAGG leaders are comparable to superman.

Characters with "weaker" powers also shouldn't be left in the dust, but that just requires good writing.

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:09 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
The Republic of Atria wrote:What kind of powers are acceptable and what are not?

I'm not sure yet. I feel like no one should be stronger than the strongest superhero NPCs in FLAGG, and the FLAGG leaders are comparable to superman.

Characters with "weaker" powers also shouldn't be left in the dust, but that just requires good writing.

Which version of Supes?

I'm also kinda confused as to what you're trying to do for the RP.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:16 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:I'm not sure yet. I feel like no one should be stronger than the strongest superhero NPCs in FLAGG, and the FLAGG leaders are comparable to superman.

Which version of Supes?

I don't really want to list superman feats if that's what you're asking. I don't want players to then make characters who are just weaker than that. I don't want players who make street level characters to get their butts handed to them by the aforementioned players who point to their oh so slightly weaker than superman feats when called on it. It's just going to take common sense. Maybe it'll make more sense when the OOC goes up because I'll put NPC information I have in there.

I'm not sure what you mean with that last question. It's character based.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Any lore questions? There's still room for worldbuilding.

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:18 pm

Which version of Supes?

I don't really want to list superman feats if that's what you're asking. I don't want players to then make characters who are just weaker than that. I don't want players who make street level characters to get their butts handed to them by the aforementioned players who point to their oh so slightly weaker than superman feats when called on it. It's just going to take common sense. Maybe it'll make more sense when the OOC goes up because I'll put NPC information I have in there.

I ask for which version, because there's numerous incarnations of Superman, all of whom very in power from slightly superhuman to straight up omnipotent.

Beruka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Beruka » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:22 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:Any lore questions? There's still room for worldbuilding.

Where will this be set? I presume it's in a specific city.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:24 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:I don't really want to list superman feats if that's what you're asking. I don't want players to then make characters who are just weaker than that. I don't want players who make street level characters to get their butts handed to them by the aforementioned players who point to their oh so slightly weaker than superman feats when called on it. It's just going to take common sense. Maybe it'll make more sense when the OOC goes up because I'll put NPC information I have in there.

I ask for which version, because there's numerous incarnations of Superman, all of whom very in power from slightly superhuman to straight up omnipotent.

Well when I say superman I just mean two of the big three in FLAGG have similar powers. They fly around punching stuff. They don't have his more esoteric powers though, like super breath.

I'd say they're like Man of Steel Superman, so if your character could 9/10 MoS Superman then we might have a problem.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Beruka wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Any lore questions? There's still room for worldbuilding.

Where will this be set? I presume it's in a specific city.

I haven't decided. It's up to people I guess.

It should probably be in a specific area if not a specific city though.

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Well when I say superman I just mean two of the big three in FLAGG have similar powers. They fly around punching stuff. They don't have his more esoteric powers though, like super breath.

I'd say they're like Man of Steel Superman, so if your character could 9/10 MoS Superman then we might have a problem.

Fair enough.

However, then comes the issue of trying to pair street levelers with someone who is roughly on par with him. You either nerf or decrease the the superhuman's IQ 60 points or bring up the street guy to superhuman levels that shouldn't be possible. There IS going to be a power difference. There is no way around it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse