NATION

PASSWORD

What does 9/11/01 mean to you?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:20 am

I was maybe three years old when the towers fell. I don't remember the day itself. I knew people died but that was it. However, I do remember that I started school around the time that we decided to move into Iraq. By age 5 I knew the word "terrorist". For as long as I've been capable of complex thought, my nation has been at war with terrorists. To this day, I'm still not sure if we even know who the terrorists are.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Mattopilos
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:21 am

Jumalariik wrote:
"Nothing, really. A day for dark jokes and people comparing an event to something much worse than it."

That's actually even worse than what you were saying later. :rofl: My apologies for giving the posts after it thought and replies.

Mature. Very mature. It is almost like people could have opinions opposite to yours. Strange that. It is also like people use jokes to deal with grief. Funny that. Seriously, thanks for being a jackass, it makes me feel better.
"From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs"
Dialectic egoist/Communist Egoist, Post-left anarchist, moral nihilist, Intersectional Anarcha-feminist.
my political compass:Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23

Pros:Anarchy, Communism (not that of Stalin or Mao), abortion rights, LGBTI rights, secularism i.e. SOCAS, Agnostic atheism, free speech (within reason), science, most dark humor, dialectic egoism, anarcha-feminism.
Cons: Capitalism, Free market, Gnostic atheism and theism, the far right, intolerance of any kind, dictatorships, pseudoscience and snake-oil peddling, imperialism and overuse of military, liberalism, radical and liberal feminism

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:22 am

Mattopilos wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:Pointing out that a prior occurrence as far worse than the current one as if it's relevant is still relative privation.

Man, better never compare two events ever in case I evoke a fallacy that isn't what you fucking said! No. It. Isn't. If that were the case, me saying the simple phrase "The holocaust was worse statistically than 9/11 by death" would be untrue purely by that fallacy, even if from that I am NOT suggesting it is justified, nor that is something to be forgotten. You are really conflating two separate things.

In American history, sure. Doesn't take away the importance of many occurring and past-events with higher death tolls and structural damage. Don't get me wrong, people with personal connections to the event (family, friends) very much have a reason to upset by it.

That was what you said, de facto 'not worse than prior occurrences'. Why would you say it? You waltzed on in. Sat down. And said, 'It wasn't as worse as prior occurrences, y'know?', which is solely invoking relative privation for unnecessarily asserting that something is worse, you've implicitely tried to minimise the occurrence. It wouldn't be untrue, that'd be a fallacy fallacy. I didn't say that. What have I conflated?
Last edited by Minzerland II on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Soadino
Envoy

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soadino » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:23 am

Pinochet. 9/11 means Pinochet.
Rights don't end where feelings begin
This is me
The United Farms wrote:Hispanic girl, 16 yo, living in the southern US. Likes juice and wears black hoodie.

King Louis IX supreme
Le Français toujours vaincra!

Jumhuriyah Hindustan
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jumhuriyah Hindustan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:25 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:that I started school around the time that we decided to move into Iraq

Wait, what?
☪اللہ اکبر☪
Proud member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation
THE REPUBLIC OF HINDUSTAN
Head of State: Prime Minister Abdullah Rahman
Capital City: Lahore
RP Population: 867,000,000
RP Military: 875,000 Active, 1,540,000 Reserves, 250,000 Paramilitary (2,665,000 Total)
Tech: MT
Factbook
Map
Chrinthanium wrote:No. There is no Blaatslutten here.
Alvecia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:One problem with that. A 707 didn't hit the towers a 757 did

50 arbitrary units of plane more than it could withstand

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:27 am

Jumhuriyah Hindustan wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:that I started school around the time that we decided to move into Iraq

Wait, what?

I was in kindergarten when Bush sent US troops to Iraq.
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Mattopilos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:27 am

Minzerland II wrote:That was what you said, de facto 'not worse than prior occurrences'. Why would you say it? You waltzed on in. Sat down. And said, 'It wasn't as worse as prior occurrences, y'know?', which is solely invoking relative privation for unnecessarily asserting that something is worse, you've implicitely tried to minimise the occurrence. it wouldn't be untrue, that'd be afallacy fallacy. I didn't say that. What have I conflated?

Yes. I did say it wasn't as bad as prior occurrences. The issue is the part where I didn't say "therefore B is justified". Maybe check on that before assuming I made a fallacy. In other words, I never reached an absolute conclusion that means that one SHOULD be treated worse than the other. YOU did. YOU assumed I minimized the occurrence. Fuck, I wish I could call foul and people would agree with me!

You conflated a "not as bad as" fallacy with an opinion on what is worse... without actually coming to a logical conclusion on how one should act because of it - I will say this, ad nausium, that I didn't justify it, not did I say it is not something to be sad over, which is what a holocaust denier would do - people VERY well known to use such a fallacy.
Last edited by Mattopilos on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dialectic egoist/Communist Egoist, Post-left anarchist, moral nihilist, Intersectional Anarcha-feminist.

Pros:Anarchy, Communism (not that of Stalin or Mao), abortion rights, LGBTI rights, secularism i.e. SOCAS, Agnostic atheism, free speech (within reason), science, most dark humor, dialectic egoism, anarcha-feminism.
Cons: Capitalism, Free market, Gnostic atheism and theism, the far right, intolerance of any kind, dictatorships, pseudoscience and snake-oil peddling, imperialism and overuse of military, liberalism, radical and liberal feminism

Jumhuriyah Hindustan
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jumhuriyah Hindustan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:29 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Wait, what?

I was in kindergarten when Bush sent US troops to Iraq.

Oh, I misinterpreted your post. I though you were saying you and your family moved to Iraq..
☪اللہ اکبر☪
Proud member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation
THE REPUBLIC OF HINDUSTAN
Head of State: Prime Minister Abdullah Rahman
Capital City: Lahore
RP Population: 867,000,000
RP Military: 875,000 Active, 1,540,000 Reserves, 250,000 Paramilitary (2,665,000 Total)
Tech: MT
Factbook
Map
Chrinthanium wrote:No. There is no Blaatslutten here.
Alvecia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:One problem with that. A 707 didn't hit the towers a 757 did

50 arbitrary units of plane more than it could withstand

Krosana
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 22, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krosana » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:30 am

Tsunshun wrote:I was born into a post-9/11 America. I see 9/11 as the day when we decided to intervene more(when I mean more, I mean like, LET'S NUKE THE HELL OUT OF ALL THE TERRORISTS AND COMMIES, instead of let's just provide help to the opposing side of the commies or the terrorists) in the world's affairs for better or for worse. It also made Islamophobia stronger in the US, because of ignorant people(primarily southerners)thinking that all Muslims are terrorists, which lead to the idiots killing innocent Muslims in the name of "freedom". Thus, I view 9/11 as a sad day in US history, and a day where the south became polarized to anti-Islamic, especially the people of the Deep South(Mainly Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi).

WHEN?

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:31 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:I was in kindergarten when Bush sent US troops to Iraq.

Oh, I misinterpreted your post. I though you were saying you and your family moved to Iraq..

Oh. Heavens, no, we'd die from the sun alone.

Hispania Invicta
Secretary

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hispania Invicta » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:33 am

Jumalariik wrote:
Mattopilos wrote:
Man, really being a jerk yourself here. Me thinks you are getting overemotional in people sharing their opinions.

"All due respect to victims of both catastrophies, but I'm still annoyed at America for that."
If you can show me how this was America's fault, I'll be impressed.

What will everybody do today to remember/mourn/etc today? Nothing? Something?

I'm not blaming either attack on the US, but I certainly disapprove of the media in both countries for prioritizing the US over most if not all other nations. I also oppose the Spanish Government's decision to kneel before America, especially when they dropped a nuclear warhead on us, butchered the remainings of the Spanish Empire over a ship Spaniards didn't sink (it was either Cuban rebels, poor maintenance or even American sabotage) and isolated us in the international scene and then only sided with Franco for his anti-communist beliefs in exchange for American occupation of Spanish soil, instead of giving a hand to democrats like the Soviets or Mexicans or even the dreaded reds.

And personally, I wear black for the three Spaniards dead in the attacks, as well as respect for the other 3k+ victims.
Civilization Clasification
Tier VII - Stellar Settler
Level I - Telekinetic Teller
Type V - Regional Regent

DEFCON - |1|2|[3]|4|5|

[_★_]
.( ·_· ).
☭Put this in your signature if you support communism.☭
-Proudly Spanish-

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:35 am

Mattopilos wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:That was what you said, de facto 'not worse than prior occurrences'. Why would you say it? You waltzed on in. Sat down. And said, 'It wasn't as worse as prior occurrences, y'know?', which is solely invoking relative privation for unnecessarily asserting that something is worse, you've implicitely tried to minimise the occurrence. it wouldn't be untrue, that'd be afallacy fallacy. I didn't say that. What have I conflated?

Yes. I did say it wasn't as bad as prior occurrences. The issue is the part where I didn't say "therefore B is justified". Maybe check on that before assuming I made a fallacy. In other words, I never reached an absolute conclusion that means that one SHOULD be treated worse than the other. YOU did. YOU assumed I minimized the occurrence. Fuck, I wish I could call foul and people would agree with me!

You conflated a "not as bad as" fallacy with an opinion on what is worse... without actually coming to a logical conclusion on how one should act because of it - I will say this, ad nausium, that I didn't justify it, not did I say it is not something to be sad over, which is what a holocaust denier would do - people VERY well known to use such a fallacy.

It. Doesn't. Need. You. To. Say. It. Was. Justified. Do you need a strongly written letter from the UN to get this across to you? Do you have trouble processing this?

In American history, sure. Doesn't take away the importance of many occurring and past-events with higher death tolls and structural damage. Don't get me wrong, people with personal connections to the event (family, friends) very much have a reason to upset by it.

What intention did you have when mentioning this? Seems a lot like minimalising an occurrence because it ain't worse to me.

You said it doesn't take away from importance of prior occurances, this minimises it.
Last edited by Minzerland II on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Krosana
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 22, 2013

Postby Krosana » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:36 am

Japan and Pacific States wrote:To me this year it means a lot of idiots are going to post 9/11 memes on /b/ and I have to sift through the 9/11 threads to get to the xxx related threads.

I know that feeling man. At least YLYL threads are going to be pretty good.

Mattopilos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:37 am

Minzerland II wrote:It. Doesn't. Need. You. To. Say. It. Was. Justified. Do you need a strongly written letter from the UN to get this across to you? Do you have trouble processing this?

To be honest I do. How does me not justifying such a thought make it a fallacy? I really don't get how.

Minzerland II wrote:What intention did you have when mentioning this? Seems a lot like minimalising an occurrence because it ain't worse to me.

Not in the slightest.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:50 am

Mattopilos wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:It. Doesn't. Need. You. To. Say. It. Was. Justified. Do you need a strongly written letter from the UN to get this across to you? Do you have trouble processing this?

To be honest I do. How does me not justifying such a thought make it a fallacy? I really don't get how.

Minzerland II wrote:What intention did you have when mentioning this? Seems a lot like minimalising an occurrence because it ain't worse to me.

Not in the slightest.

You've tried to make the scenario appear better by comparing it to the worse historical examples. That is relative privation.

Last edited by Minzerland II on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mattopilos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:04 am

Minzerland II wrote:You've tried to make the scenario appear better by comparing it to the worse historical examples. That is relative privation.

Okay, I apologize for ever giving such an impression and wish to tell you I do not in any way think less of the event, but wish others did think of other events as well. That is what I meant to get across from what I have said, and I should work on my wording on the future.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:09 am

Mattopilos wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:You've tried to make the scenario appear better by comparing it to the worse historical examples. That is relative privation.

Okay, I apologize for ever giving such an impression and wish to tell you I do not in any way think less of the event, but wish others did think of other events as well. That is what I meant to get across from what I have said, and I should work on my wording on the future.

No problem, we all invoke fallacies, whether that be consciously or unconsciously; I myself committed a red herring, I've distracted us from the intended topic of this thread.

I'll work on my own writings, they're confusing to read, even for me.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:41 am

Southern Moshii wrote:9/11 was the exact day my mother learned she was pregnant of me.
So it is, weirdly, a pretty happy day for my familly.

I think that it's wonderful that violence and death haven't completely claimed that day for some, at least.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:12 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Southern Moshii wrote:9/11 was the exact day my mother learned she was pregnant of me.
So it is, weirdly, a pretty happy day for my familly.

I think that it's wonderful that violence and death haven't completely claimed that day for some, at least.

A uncommon miracle it seems.

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:17 am

Nothing much, really. I remember 9/11 as just another day at school with a new hot topic to discuss in everyone's mouth.

I do remember enjoying to watch videos of those two towers collapsing over and over again. Not every day you see something that size go down, and it didn't bother me in the least that several thousand people died there even as I watched those infamous moments of some poor souls leaping to their deaths to escape the flames.

It was the fallout of 9/11 that really did change me, though. It clearly shaped and cemented my rather negative view of Islam and Muslims in general that I hold to this day. The faith that drew some folks to commit such an atrocity clearly couldn't be good, so anyone holding such faith can't be good either. Or at least a friend of the West.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:14 am

I'm surprised Google hasn't made a doodle memorializing the incident, like they usually do.
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:14 am

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Nothing much, really. I remember 9/11 as just another day at school with a new hot topic to discuss in everyone's mouth.

I do remember enjoying to watch videos of those two towers collapsing over and over again. Not every day you see something that size go down, and it didn't bother me in the least that several thousand people died there even as I watched those infamous moments of some poor souls leaping to their deaths to escape the flames.

It was the fallout of 9/11 that really did change me, though. It clearly shaped and cemented my rather negative view of Islam and Muslims in general that I hold to this day. The faith that drew some folks to commit such an atrocity clearly couldn't be good, so anyone holding such faith can't be good either. Or at least a friend of the West.

Careful, you'll cut yourself.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:15 am

It is a really sad day, that also had awful repercussions for US foreign policy.

Always wanted to visit the towers and see New York city some day growing up.

But after they fell that aspiration died, even though I still ended up living in America, and visited NYC few times post 9/11.

NYC lost something on 9/11, and despite all this time, in parts it is still a city with tension, and some fear in the air.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Wansul
Envoy

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wansul » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:18 am

To me, it means the true end of the Cold War Era, and the start of civil war, terrorism, and destruction in the Middle East, and death and chaos spreading.
Soon the sun will set- is that prophecy? No, it's merely an assertion of faith in the consistency of events.

Remember this Earth. Never forget her, but — never come back. If you come back, you might meet the Archangel at the east end of Earth, guarding her passes with a sword of flame. Space is your home hereafter. It’s a lonelier desert than ours.

By the -anarchist-neoliberal spirit I mean that deeply human sentiment, which aims at the good of all, freedom and justice for all, solidarity and love among the people;

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:19 am

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Nothing much, really. I remember 9/11 as just another day at school with a new hot topic to discuss in everyone's mouth.

That's at least five painfully obvious attempts at edginess in one relatively short post. Choose just one, because 'meh 9/11' and 'ebil Muslims' don't really mix well.
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General