NATION

PASSWORD

The Greater Díenstad Roleplay Award

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

The Greater Díenstad Roleplay Award

Postby The Macabees » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:14 pm

[N.B. Purposeless chitchat should be avoided. Also, please do not post to complain or argue. If for some reason some part of this award or this thread irritates you, please feel free to ignore its existence.]

Good roleplaying isn't easy and players who deliver consistent results in their writing deserve to be recognized. There is no formal way of doing this on NationStates, most likely for the better. Over time the community has nonetheless developed different ways of informally acknowledging the accomplishments of fellow roleplayers. The region of Greater Dienstad would like to introduce its own form of recognition, the Greater Díenstad Roleplay Award. This is in no way sponsored by NationStates or formal by any means. However, Greater Díenstad has a long history on this game, having been founded in 2005 — actually, it has been around for longer than that, because the region is a refounding of Imperial Armies —, and in that time it has built itself something of a reputation for excellent roleplaying. While we're certainly not the best, over the past decade we've consistently produced high quality output and through our ranks have passed some of the most well-known players in the game. In that spirit, this award represents a regional acknowledgement of the contribution prize-winners have made to NationStates.

How it works: The process by which a player earns the Gr. Díenstad RP Award, which will henceforth be referred to as the GDA, is relatively straightforward. I, The Macabees, as founder of the region, will nominate players I believe fit the standards of a prize-winner. This means that the basis of the nomination is subjective. However, I do look for some specific characteristics, which include:

1. Consistency of Writing Quality: A nominee should have a history of quality writing. Outside of style — since there are various styles, and any RP award should make sure to include a plurality of styles —, I look for the basics (grammar), use of language, level of detail and how that level affects the enjoyment of reading, whether my emotions were tapped, and traits of similar ilk.
  2. Reputation: Are you a good role model? How have you influenced other players? Are you respected? These are all questions that grasp towards the same idea, which is your standing in the community. The players who earn the GDA are players who others can look up to; persons whose writing can be read as a source of inspiration.
  3. Out of Character Conduct: A NationStates roleplayer is a special breed of writer. He/she is a cooperative writer. We have to put together a story in conjunction with other players. Are you easy to get along with? Are you constructive? Do you interact well with others? These are the types of questions I ask when judging a player along this dimension.
  4. On-Site History: How long you've been playing the game does directly factor into my nomination decision-making. While sheer presence on the site doesn't alone determine one's status as an RPer — and, in fact this factor is more often than not completely irrelevant —, the fact is that, all else equal, I will choose the player with the longest presence over the one with the shortest presence.
  5. Posthumous Awards: If a player has been DOS'd or if that player CTE'd, he/she is not eligible for the GDA.
There is no fixed nomination cycle. I don't suggest a new player every x amount of weeks. Rather, if I think it's the right time for someone to receive this recognition for their work, I make the suggestion to the region. The nomination then goes through a simple yes or no vote that's open to all active members of the region. If a simple majority of voters choose 'yes,' the nominee receives the award. The voting serves a specific purpose: it's a corroboration of my judgment, which will inevitably be flawed given my status as a fallible human being. Like with all institutions, the ones that govern the distribution of the GDA are subject to change/evolution. As these changes happen, I will update this post.

One thing to keep in mind is that I do take suggestions for nominations. Please do not TG me. You can find me on IRC, usually on one of three channels: #dienstad, #nssanctuary, or #nsmentors. (You can ask for permission to TG me, for this purpose, on IRC.) I don't expect a pitch, but I do expect you to offer me evidence for your claim, including links to relevant threads — not one or two, but enough to show me that the person fulfills the prerequisites outlined above. Neither should you expect me to immediately turn your suggestion into a nomination. I will do my own investigation, which usually takes quite a bit of time, and I will make my own decision as to whether I believe that person deserves a GDA. However, I do take suggestions a signal of a player's reputation amongst his/her peers, so your word or recommendation certainly does count. With all of this said, please do not inundate me with the names of players you think are good RPers. Proposals should be well researched and you should have 100 percent confidence that I will agree with your judgment (just like a business manager will have 100 percent confidence that the client will be persuaded his/her pitch).

Note: all active roleplayers on NationStates are eligible to receive the GDA. The reason this thread is on International Incidents is because, unfortunately, I tend to read only II. I do make sure to check outside this specific forum, but I do not read Nationstates, Global Economics and Trade, NS Sports, or the Portal to the Multiverse as often as I should. This is where well-cited suggestions to me will make an important difference.

Why Does [Insert_Name_Here] Have One, But Not Me? This award is meant to recognize the achievements of some of our outstanding peers and, hopefully, to motivate others to strive to meet these heights themselves. There is no fixed amount of awards. There is no time schedule to worry about. This is not a zero-sum competition; someone else receiving it does not preclude you from also earning it in the future. Just like almost every other aspect of NationStates, the GDA is positive-sum — the pie gets larger;in econospeak, the best kind of speak in my biased opinion, the award is Pareto optimal.* Neither does the GDA confer prestige. The ideal candidate already exudes prestige. He/she is a pillar amongst his/her peers, already widely perceived to be a top roleplayer by a significant fraction of the community. Those who do not currently meet the requirements, but nevertheless endeavor to fulfill them, aren't accomplishing an award. They're accomplishing much, much more than that: a history of consistent top flight roleplaying. The Gr. Díenstad RP Award is a mere reflection of that.

List of Recipients:

For other econ-nerds, I justify the institutions of this award by citing James Buchanan, The Calculus of Consent.

DISCLAIMER: The mentorship program has no association with the Greater Díenstad Roleplay Award. My role as a mentor plays no part.
Last edited by The Macabees on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:42 am, edited 11 times in total.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Congratulations, The Holy Empire of Stevid, on your selection to receive the Greater Díenstad Roleplay Award, on behalf of the region of Greater Díenstad. You are one of the few players who can boast of over nine years of roleplaying excellence, having contributed to a number of widely recognized threads. These include, but are not limited to, A Passion Play and Moving is Never Easy. I have had the privilege of witnessing your rise as a roleplayer and I admire the fact that you are the only player who can claim to have been in the thick of Díenstadi international relations, without pause, since 2005. Not only that, but you've also managed to maintain an active, in-character presence outside of the region. That feat is incredible and requires an extraordinary dedication to the game. You have, for a long time, been a player others have looked up to. Testament to your history of being a top roleplayer is a 2007 post by Kurona making his case as to why you deserve recognition. What's most admirable of all is the progress you've accomplished throughout your NationStates career, never resting on your laurels.

Neither is it coincidental that you're the recipient of the inaugural Greater Díenstad Roleplay Award. The first recipient is always seen as a benchmark that others have to surpass. You set the bar high, right where it should be. You are a model to others; you are a player that others should aspire to emulate. You've achieved this position not only on the field, so to speak, but off the field as well. Out of character, you're always willing to help, to negotiate, to cooperate, and to find a solution that benefits all parties involved, even if it's at some cost to you. Evidence to this claim is the always friendly out of character relationship between us, despite our oftentimes acute in-character animosity. That is true sportsmanship and very much something that a recipient of this award should embody.

Respectfully yours,

The Macabees
Last edited by The Macabees on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Stevid
Chargé d'Affaires

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Stevid » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:04 am

Thank you kindly Mac, and GD! Very pleasant surprise and thoroughly glad to have earned the recognition. I hope this award sticks around and that the GD players aspire to achieve it.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:47 pm

It with great pleasure that the region of Greater Díenstad presents The Empire of Ghant with the Greater Díenstad Roleplay Award, for his efforts to informally build an inclusive roleplaying community, and for the superb overall quality of his writing and storytelling.

Since joining NationStates in 2013, Ghant has grown to become one of the most prolific writers in the game. In September of his first year, Ghant became well-known for his War of the Two Empresses. Since then, he has participated in an incredible number of stories, including Romandeos' The Union. The Duke is Dead, Long Live the Duke,and The Emperor, 'Tis of Thee, among many others. And Ghant has achieved all of this at scale; he has transcended the growing exclusivity of many NationStates roleplaying communities by proactively seeking to interact with multiple regions. That's a feat, and a dedication, few can lay claim to.

Ghant has also always put himself at the disposal of his peers, always willing to give advice and discuss ideas. Whether it's within the regions he forms part of, via chat, or through the Roleplaying Questions thread, he is always there to help new players through their journey. It's something that, more so even than just commending, is worth emulating. It's that type of positive behavior that makes the difference in helping to raise the standards across the game.

It is for that past of excellence, and for a future no less bright, that the Greater Díenstad community bestows Ghant with the recognition he deserves.

Respectfully yours,

The Macabees

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:54 am

I just wanted to say that I am deeply honored and appreciative of this reward, to the point that I choked up and was practically moved to tears upon reading it the first time. Nationstates has been a journey for me filled with highs and lows, trials and tribulations. The lows have been very low, and at times I've wondered if I should just hang it up and walk away. The reason why I haven't, and won't, is because I possess a singular passion that drives and motivates me. A yearning to create, to share, to mentor and to learn.

Maybe there are other players out there who have wondered, "what's the point? Should I go on? Is it worth it?" To them I say that, so long as your heart is in the right place and you have a passion for writing and roleplaying, then Nationstates is the place for you, and if you stay focused on those passions, then anything is possible, and there is no setback that you cannot overcome, no hole you cannot dig yourself out of, and nothing that can hold you back.

Thank you Greater Dienstad from the bottom of my heart, for not only recognizing my work which is truly a labor of love, but in promoting the ideals that make the Nationstates Roleplaying community a great place to write and roleplay. A commitment to excellence, a commitment to fairness and most importantly, a commitment to fun, which is what roleplaying is all about.

-Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:12 pm

For two years now, United World Order (henceforth, UWO) has been a remarkable force for good in terms of his storytelling, his willingness to compromise, and his activity. Threads such as Fatherland and Wolf in the Jungle represent only his latest work, but they also serve as reminders of how quickly UWO has risen within the community of Greater Díenstad. It was less than two years ago that he introduced himself as an OP in GD in A Union in Shambles. So stellar is his growth, dedication, and initiative that his roleplays now form a core component of the region's canon.

One aspect of UWO's roleplaying philosophy that stands out is his willingness to compromise and cooperate, even if this means losing a war ICly. This has made for a wonderful series of RPs over Kashubia/UESS (originally Red Star Union) and Holy Panooly, along with some very exciting plans for what is to come in the post-Kashubian Conflict era. Another is his dedication to the story and the ideas behind the roleplay. We saw this in Imperial Recrudescence and A Union in Shambles. UWO has, in fact, probably been the most successful player in a long while to truly roleplay a fascist country on the lines of the Third Reich. This is no small feat, as we've seen with so many other attempts that have ultimately emerged as derivative and shallow. But maybe his most valuable trait of all is his willingness to learn, experiment, and grow, and it's that characteristic alone that promises that UWO will continue to be a core role model in the region of Greater Díenstad for a long time to come.

Greater Díenstad is proud to bestow this award on UWO for not only his accomplishments over the past two years, and even prior to that outside of the region, but also for what we can look forward to as he continues to develop his canon.

Respectfully yours,

The Macabees

United World Order
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United World Order » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Wow what can I say? I didn't quite expect this, lol but I am grateful for this and I'd like to thank Greater Dienstad for the opportunity that all of yall gave me. I've enjoyed my time here for these past two years and I'm hoping for many more. Thank you very much all of you.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:50 am

There are only certain players whose name come up regardless the conflict, the thread, or the event, and one of those few players is Mokastana. From the Great Díenstadi War, to the multiple Krasnovan Wars, to the best galas in Greater Díenstad, Mokastana has become a household name in the region. And not just because of his omnipresent involvement in regional events, but also for the rich canon that he cultivates throughout his many possessions — from hostingcoronations to elections. It's a quality that stems from attention-to-detail and patience, two traits any excellent roleplayer must have.

But it's not just for his writing and storytelling that Mokastana deserves this award. Around all the hard work he already puts in, add to that Mokastana's role as a roleplaying mentor. And by that I don't mean just his tenure on the mentor team, but what he did before that and what he continues to do in the region outside of any official capacity. He regularly RPs with players with huge potential, helping them develop into capable storytellers themselves. I haven't even mentioned his capacity to mentor even other mentors, especially in the way he's able to distance himself from out of character spouts that so often mar even the best threads.

For all of this and more, Greater Dienstad bestows this award on Mokastana. We most certainly have a lot to owe you.

Respectfully yours,

The Macabees

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 am

It's rare to find people with the talent, drive, and energy to influence others to action. McMasterdonia is one of these unique individuals. He is one of the leaders behind the NationStates World Fair. He is one of the leaders the North Pacific, helping to continue the region's legacy of a strong, and by no means small, groups of roleplayers. He has been one of the leaders behind efforts to further integrate roleplaying on two sides of a faux divide, gameplay and the roleplay forums. I have had the great pleasure of following him in these endeavors and seeing their benefits first hand.

It's long past due that his efforts to cultivate and inspire inclusiveness in roleplay, introducing players who may have never even heard of each other before, are rewarded. It's these types of actions that will help us cross the divisions that we roleplayers set up for ourselves by cutting ourselves off from opportunities outside of our regions and roleplaying circles. It's these types of actions that will keep the roleplay community alive and healthy.

The region of Greater Díenstad recognizes these accomplishments and the hard work that has gone into them. By vote, the region bestows on McMasterdonia this award.

Respectfully yours,

The Macabees

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents