NATION

PASSWORD

Do You Have to be a Feminist to be Egalitarian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should You Have to Call Yourself a Feminist to be Egalitarian?

Feminism IS egalitarianism--of course!
21%
Yes--being egalitarian doesn't mean you care about women's issues
6%
No, you can be an egalitarian without that
68%
I'm not sure and want to discuss it in the thread
5%

Total votes : 223

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:45 am

Allanea wrote:So you're factually wrong.

No. I'm not wrong. Any feminist that outwardly questions some aspects of feminism isn't doing so because she disagrees with it, it's basically an elaborate form of trolling.

It's why New Edom's favourite feminist has that "Offend a College Student Day"; because she enjoys acting like a troll to overly offended babies.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:46 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Allanea wrote:So you're factually wrong.

No. I'm not wrong. Any feminist that outwardly questions some aspects of feminism isn't doing so because she disagrees with it, it's basically an elaborate form of trolling.

It's why New Edom's favourite feminist has that "Offend a College Student Day"; because she enjoys acting like a troll to overly offended babies.

You telling me what my views are and calling me a troll is getting old.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:48 am

Your own Link shows the quote I linked to from Neutraligon mentioning Sarkessian.

Seriously, you really need to read.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:49 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

You telling me what my views are and calling me a troll is getting old.

I didn't call you a troll. You're one of these feminists that agrees with pretty much whatever the mainstream puts out but doesn't openly admit it.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:50 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:You telling me what my views are and calling me a troll is getting old.

I didn't call you a troll. You're one of these feminists that agrees with pretty much whatever the mainstream puts out but doesn't openly admit it.
Yes you did since I have openly questioned certain feminist rhetoric and said I am a feminist. So not only have you told me what my position is (thank you for the continued strawman) you have also called me a troll. Maybe instead of telling feminists what our positions are and expecting us to defend the position you have assigned us you should actually listen to individual feminists when we tell you what our opinions are. You will have much more interesting debates that way and save a bundle on straw and construction costs.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Lies and Ignorance
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lies and Ignorance » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:54 am

You can be a feminist without being egalitarian. There are reactionary bourgeois strains of feminism that ignore the class struggle, and reduce women's struggle to liberal reformism. There are strains of feminism that use radical lexicon as a camouflage for insidious bigotry, against trans women, sex workers, and women of color. The measure of feminism is in its class component and its ability to account for contradictions among women. 'Egalitarianism' as an abstract principle is simply one of many feminist concerns, but hardly the end-all be-all.
✡☭♀

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:55 am

Neutraligon wrote:Yes you did

No I didn't.

since I have openly questioned certain feminist rhetoric

No you haven't. You've explained (or justified) why certain people think certain things but nowhere have you actually critised feminist thought or rhetoric.

and said I am a feminist.

And nowhere did I say that all feminists are trolls. I said ones like Christina Hoff Summers who specifically go around intentionally aggravating other feminists to elicit reactions from them.

So not only have you told me what my position is (thank you for the continued strawman) you have also called be a troll.

I haven't called you a troll. For someone who loves strawmen, you seem to be quick to put words in my mouth.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:57 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Yes you did

No I didn't.

since I have openly questioned certain feminist rhetoric

No you haven't. You've explained (or justified) why certain people think certain things but nowhere have you actually critised feminist thought or rhetoric.

and said I am a feminist.

And nowhere did I say that all feminists are trolls. I said ones like Christina Hoff Summers who specifically go around intentionally aggravating other feminists to elicit reactions from them.

So not only have you told me what my position is (thank you for the continued strawman) you have also called be a troll.

I haven't called you a troll. For someone who loves strawmen, you seem to be quick to put words in my mouth.

Ah so you haven't been reading my responses where I have stated my issues with certain feminist rhetoric, even when they where in this thread.
Here is one such post.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:58 am

And then New Edom responds, also mentioning her.

But the question stands.

New Edom, what do you define as 'feminism', and what do you view as the alternative to it what you wish to promote?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:58 am

Neutraligon wrote:Ah so you haven't been reading my responses where I have stated my issues with certain feminist rhetoric, even when they where in this thread.

I can't read what isn't written.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:59 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Ah so you haven't been reading my responses where I have stated my issues with certain feminist rhetoric, even when they where in this thread.

I can't read what isn't written.

viewtopic.php?p=29769695#p29769695
There you go. I have specifically said I disagree with the rhetoric and position of certain "mainstream" feminists.
Just A Little though

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:00 am

Allanea wrote:

And then New Edom responds, also mentioning her.

But the question stands.

New Edom, what do you define as 'feminism', and what do you view as the alternative to it what you wish to promote?

I probably couldn't speak for him, but considering the thread name, I'd guess he's egalitarian.
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 am

Neutraligon wrote:

Umm, I brought her up first.

nevertheless he did seem to expand on the idea and might want to provide some background to (PLEASE not gamergate!) but the supposed feminism of sarkeesian.
whatever

Aapje
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aapje » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:03 am

Harold I wrote:Surely being Egalitarian in the West would now be supporting multiculturalism

No, because multiculturalism tends to support non-egalitarian cultures.

[supporting] diversity

Yes, although not necessarily in the way that some people define diversity (one definition is 'non-white male') or in the way that some people define 'supporting' (one definition is discrimination to force a desired outcome).

gender equality (and not just of females, but of transgender people as well).

And of men. IMO, this is the part that tends to be missing from mainstream feminism and why I don't consider them egalitarian.

Although I support women becoming fully equal with men, I feel as though feminism is trying to make women more powerful than men.

That's because mainstream feminism denies (most of) the advantages of being female and (most of) the disadvantages of being male.

Traditional gender roles is like this:
- A boy has a candy bar and a cut on his arm
- A girl has a ice cream and a cut on her leg

Mainstream feminists only look at the ways in which the girl is disadvantaged compared to the boy. Thus they try to make them equal by taking half the candy bar from the boy and giving it to the girl; and putting a band aid on her cut leg.

The end result: The girl now has 3 times the amount of candy as the boy (the entire ice cream that she had before plus half of the boy's candy bar) and her wound is taken care of and his wound isn't.

We have made significant advances here in the UK, giving women the right to vote, and the law that women and men are to be paid the same salary. That I support, because it is only right and fair.

It is, although I feel that the feminist narrative is rather deceptive, as it is generally claimed or heavily implied that men always had the vote. In the UK, voting rights for all men were granted in 1918 (restricted voting rights were granted to women at that time too). Full suffrage for women was granted in 1928.

So the UK had centuries of women & (poor) men being disenfranchised, then 10 years of (poor/young) women being disenfranchised and then almost a century of full suffrage for both genders. In the feminist narrative, that 10 year period get cherry picked as if it was always like that, while it actually was the exception, rather than the rule.
Last edited by Aapje on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Not everyone believes X.

Except feminists aren't known for having ideological diversity. It's always the same: misandry, misandry and yet more misandry.

Individual feminists do not hold the same idea of "feminism" as the group who you seem to believe are the set of all feminists.

You are speaking to a self-professed feminist who goes somewhat against the grain on some issues. And it's not me.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Dameth
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dameth » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:12 am

I am an egalitarian anti-feminist.
So no.

/Thread.
Roses are red
Wololo
Violets are blue
(Far) FT nation.

Community Values
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:36 am

Dameth wrote:I am an egalitarian anti-feminist.
So no.

/Thread.

How can an ancom be egalitarian? /s
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:39 am

Lies and Ignorance wrote:You can be a feminist without being egalitarian. There are reactionary bourgeois strains of feminism that ignore the class struggle, and reduce women's struggle to liberal reformism. There are strains of feminism that use radical lexicon as a camouflage for insidious bigotry, against trans women, sex workers, and women of color. The measure of feminism is in its class component and its ability to account for contradictions among women. 'Egalitarianism' as an abstract principle is simply one of many feminist concerns, but hardly the end-all be-all.

Do you believe that any "strains" of feminism are insidiously biggotter towards men?
Last edited by Frenline Delpha on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:43 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:You telling me what my views are and calling me a troll is getting old.

Ha.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Dameth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dameth » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:44 am

Community Values wrote:
Dameth wrote:I am an egalitarian anti-feminist.
So no.

/Thread.

This comes with the package, friend. You have to subscribe to beliefs in various kind of equalities to be an ancom. Besides, a core belief of traditional anarchism is the lines of division and associations should be done on the ground of skill, merits and affinities, not race or gender.

Your question is rather vague but i'd be glad to answer it if you want to precise it a bit. I'm more used to wonder how can one be a traditional anarchist and not be an equalitarian - at least on some levels.
Roses are red
Wololo
Violets are blue
(Far) FT nation.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:45 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Galloism wrote:I know I've asked this before, but I have yet to receive a satisfactory response.

If, at its core, feminism is about equality, why are there so many examples of many of the most powerful feminists exerting great pressure to prevent any accidental drift towards equality? They're not occasional aberrations. They're pretty fucking common.

Keep in mind: most of those on this forum have become antifeminist have become so not because they hate equality, but because they want equality and see modern feminism as an obstacle to that goal.

Like I said partially because they disagree with you on what is equality, as well as how to get there. For some, equality is getting back at men for centuries of being unequal. For others what they think of as equality is just not the same as what you (and many others) think is equality. Some actually believe that it is impossible for men to be the victim of rape by women, and some actually believe that any focus on men takes away from the attempt to bring equality to women. They see it as a 0 sum game.

Look, equality is equality is equality. I understand the distinction between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome, but as regards the rest, it is by definition antiequality.

For those who believe it is impossible for men to be the victim of rape by women (looking at you, Koss), that is per se an unequal position. It's a position that women are either by definition less capable than men, have less agency, etc, or by definition that men and only men are immune to rape. By very definition it is viewing the two sexes as inherently unequal, and therefore cannot be said in any way shape or form to be equality based.

Regarding the zero sum game part, this is not a drive towards equality either. Take rape, for instance. There is no reasonable basis that women are discriminated against, as a gender, when it comes to rape. We know, because we've studied this, that men and women are raped at approximately equal rates. We know, because it's obvious, that women who ARE raped are treated much much better by police and aurhorities than men are. I won't say it's ideal, but it's certainly better. There is absolutely no reasonable basis, at all, that women are treated badly regarding rape because of their gender. Now, rape victims are treated badly, and this should be fixed, but when it comes to gendered discrimination for rape victims, that faced by men is much much worse. If it's a zero sum game, they are attempting to focus their efforts on the privileged class. It's very much like the "white lives matter" people.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Lies and Ignorance
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lies and Ignorance » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:47 am

Frenline Delpha wrote:
Lies and Ignorance wrote:You can be a feminist without being egalitarian. There are reactionary bourgeois strains of feminism that ignore the class struggle, and reduce women's struggle to liberal reformism. There are strains of feminism that use radical lexicon as a camouflage for insidious bigotry, against trans women, sex workers, and women of color. The measure of feminism is in its class component and its ability to account for contradictions among women. 'Egalitarianism' as an abstract principle is simply one of many feminist concerns, but hardly the end-all be-all.

Do you believe that any "strains" of feminism are insidiously biggotter towards men?

No.
✡☭♀

Community Values
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:49 am

Dameth wrote:
Community Values wrote:

This comes with the package, friend. You have to subscribe to beliefs in various kind of equalities to be an ancom. Besides, a core belief of traditional anarchism is the lines of division and associations should be done on the ground of skill, merits and affinities, not race or gender.

Your question is rather vague but i'd be glad to answer it if you want to precise it a bit. I'm more used to wonder how can one be a traditional anarchist and not be an equalitarian - at least on some levels.

The /s stood for sarcasm.

I wish there was just some kind of font.
-Huey Long

Dameth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dameth » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:56 am

Community Values wrote:
I wish there was just some kind of font.

...oh well then. Yes okay, makes sense now.
Roses are red
Wololo
Violets are blue
(Far) FT nation.

Catochristoferson
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Catochristoferson » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:09 am

Ever since "manspreading" and "mansplaining" were added to the dictionary, I started to realise how toxic Feminism has become.
I'm depressed.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General