NATION

PASSWORD

Rome: Iron and Rust (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Albertae
Senator

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:
Cossus broke a moment unsure what to say, but decided to tell the truth,"Your majesty. It has seemed that your daughter and I have fallen in love. She and I share many likes and dislikes and she is the perfect lady to be around. It just happened to fast I wasn't sure what you'd think. Though, I know you are a sensible and caring man. And I know you will be sympathetic to what your daughter wants. I am at your mercy, but I ask you not punish you our daughter." He was sure he'd be making the right decision by doing this, but only time could tell.

"Noble Cossus." said the King "Greek and Roman custom are not dissimilar; the laws of Rome being but the ways of Greece in writ yet modified with time. It is thus that you must know I cannot mistreat a stranger. The Gods would surely bring their wrath down upon me if I were to do so; at the same time, though it is within my right to do many things to my offspring, I shall not be like Saturn in the ways of parenting. While I am, admittedly, disappointed in the two of you.....it has happened. There is nothing to be done."

The son of Pontus and Cappadocia summoned his daughter to his side, and took her in hand. With a smile, he looked her in the eyes. He seemed calmer then; the young but caring father to the anxious young woman, desperately wishing for approval. On the side of the room, staring with narrowed eyes at the Roman, stood the beautiful Alexandra of Hattusa.

"Do you wish to marry him?" asked the King

"Father....." Agathe began

"I merely ask." said the sovereign "I am not a warden to hold you prisoner; we are not Zeus to the cyclops."

The woman paused, staring at first her father and then her cherished Roman. She then turned to Alexandra, in her radiant black toga and lapis jewelry. The older woman seemed to glower merely at the thought for some reason which escaped the girl; she could not know if her mother had had other plans which had been thwarted, or if she merely disapproved of the notion of her daughter marrying a Roman in and of itself.

"Yes, father." said Agathe "I would like to marry him."

The king, so young yet so old, smiled then. He called for piece of parchment and then, silently, wrote down several lines of wording in Latin before tying up the scroll and handing it to his daughter.

"So you shall my daughter. Via cum manu" said the King "By way of Usus."

Agathe looked at him in shock; she was free. She was eternally free of her father....and she had never asked to be.

Cossus was not sure why Alexandra did not like this, but it made no difference to Cossus. He also understood the king's opinion. Cossus was in shock that it all happened so fast. He walked up to Agathe and hugged her tightly. He said to her,"What do you think about this, love?"
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.33
Pro: Trump
Anti: Hillary

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Gharin
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:02 pm

"It is good." said the woman "Gods bless us it is good."

The woman was weeping with tears of joy; she had to wipe her eyes in order to bow to her father. Prior to leaving the room, she bowed once to her mother with a nod. Her smile was radiant as she walked back to her room, her hand grasping his. Briefly, she stopped by a courier who handed a scroll from her father.

Upon reading it, she handed the scroll to Cossus.

"For Octavian, my love." said Agathe.

Great Health and Joy,

Honored Flamen and friend of Cappodacia,

I have received your message and I am presently monitoring the situation regarding Armenia. I shall let you know if something else happens. May the gods help you in haste against Pompey. I fear the forces of treason move ever more against us.

Best regards,

Ariobarzanes Reginus
Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47943
President-John Wallace

Vice President- Fiona Harold

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Gharin wrote:"It is good." said the woman "Gods bless us it is good."

The woman was weeping with tears of joy; she had to wipe her eyes in order to bow to her father. Prior to leaving the room, she bowed once to her mother with a nod. Her smile was radiant as she walked back to her room, her hand grasping his. Briefly, she stopped by a courier who handed a scroll from her father.

Great Health and Joy,

I have received your message and I am presently monitoring the situation regarding Armenia. I shall let you know if something else happens. May the gods help you in haste against Pompey. I fear the forces of treason move ever more against us.

Best regards,

Ariobarzanes Reginus

Cossus took the scroll not reading and said to Agathe,"What will you do my love? Shall you come back with me? Or will you stay here? Both are equally dangerous, but it depends on whether or not you wish to be near me or far away."
My Political Compass:

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:43 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:"It is good." said the woman "Gods bless us it is good."

Great Health and Joy,

Best regards,

Ariobarzanes Reginus

Cossus took the scroll not reading and said to Agathe,"What will you do my love? Shall you come back with me? Or will you stay here? Both are equally dangerous, but it depends on whether or not you wish to be near me or far away."

Agathe paused, looking at him and said "I believe I shall come with you; things are....dangerous, here. We would do well to make haste in meeting with Marcus Antonius, and then to Caesar and Roma. On whose side is the Senate currently aligned?"
Last edited by Gharin on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:16 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

Agathe paused, looking at him and said "I believe I shall come with you; things are....dangerous, here. We would do well to make haste in meeting with Marcus Antonius, and then to Caesar and Roma. On whose side is the Senate currently aligned?"

Cossus sighed with relief,"That's good to know my love."

He wasn't sure who the senate was aligned with, but he knew it wasn't with Caesar or Pompey. He said to her,"Oh my love, in these times it is very uncertain, but with Pompey on a war path to Rome that most likely means they are not siding with him unless this is a coup. They probably aren't with Caesar either. This can only mean they are with Brutus since Cicero and Brutus are big politicians within the Senate. Hopefully, Imperator Marc Antony can help your father withstand the force of the Eastern Armies. Octavianus will finish his invasion of Hispania soon and then soldiers will sail across the Mediterranean Sea to aide your father."

He looked up to the sky. It was but morning. He said to her,"Let us pack quickly so that we may leave on this day."
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:12 am

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

He wasn't sure who the senate was aligned with, but he knew it wasn't with Caesar or Pompey. He said to her,"Oh my love, in these times it is very uncertain, but with Pompey on a war path to Rome that most likely means they are not siding with him unless this is a coup. They probably aren't with Caesar either. This can only mean they are with Brutus since Cicero and Brutus are big politicians within the Senate. Hopefully, Imperator Marc Antony can help your father withstand the force of the Eastern Armies. Octavianus will finish his invasion of Hispania soon and then soldiers will sail across the Mediterranean Sea to aide your father."

He looked up to the sky. It was but morning. He said to her,"Let us pack quickly so that we may leave on this day."

The woman sighed, kissing her new husband once before she began packing. She found herself throwing most of her important belongings into the chest, and carrying it down the fine stone staircase. With her beloved right beside her, she was on her way through the courtyard before being stopped by a servant.

"Lady Agathe." said the boy "The King wishes to see you one more time before you go."

Ariobarzanes smiled as his daughter entered the room, and rose from his throne to walk towards her. His gaze was beaming with pride and utter joy; it seemed as though all of the light of Apollo's chariot had shown through from his being at that moment, for it not there could have been no other reason for his glow.

"My beautiful daughter." said the King before turning to the courtiers present "I wish for you all to depart; Alcaeus, do guard against any trespassers."

The courtiers nodded and departed to their various rooms; one by the one, the doors were closed and barred by the servants present. Finally, the General gave a final nod to his King.

"I wish for you to listen carefully." said the King in a voice that was barely above a whisper "You must go to Marcus Antonius immediately after you leave this place."

He then grabbed a letter from his regal robe and handed it to his new son-in-law, the loyal envoy of Octavian. With a smile, he made clear that he was at peace with the marriage.

"My son." said the King, looking at Cossus "You must make sure this is sent to the Admiral Agrippa. We cannot afford to die here."

Health and Great Joy,

To the Admiral Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa,

I do seek your aid in the defense of a friend and ally of Rome. I fear for the lives of my people against this Armenian threat, and as you well know there remain their allies and benefactors which lurk in the shadows.

I ask that you make haste.

May the Gods bless you,

Ariobarzanes Reginus.
President-John Wallace

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:11 am

10th April, 43 BC, Antioch, Syria Coele

Crassus sat in his solar, looking out across the Orontes river to the Via Bereoam which ran north. He was seventy three and despite being in good health, this would probably be his last military campaign.

In spite of its unusual position from a military standpoint, Antioch did have one great advantage to its position, it had some of the best connections of anywhere in the east. Lying on the Orontes, news could easily speed up from southern Syria and Damascus; thanks to the port at Seleucia Pieria, messengers could arrive withing a day of disembarking their ships; the Euphrates from the west meant Antioch could receive updates from Mesopotamia and Assyria; while the combined Roman and Seleucid road networks facilitated easy communication from the north and Anatolia. At first Crassus had been skeptical about basing himself in Antioch, but during the Antonius Conspiracy Antioch's position had meant Crassus could easily get his hands on information and knowledge, and as someone once said: Knowledge is power.

The first word of the Antonius Conspiracy had filtered through from Galatia at the beginning of the month, although Crassus had long been suspicious of the fool-king in Cappadocia and the drunkard Antony in Pergamum. The knowledge of the conspiracy, and Galatia's declaration for the Crassi, had turned the tables in his favour. Messages had come in from Pontus and Judea, both informing Crassus of the great scale of the Antonius Conspiracy and the former pledging aid to Crassus while the latter swore off Cappadocia. At a stroke, Crassus had brought Galatia, Pontus and the Bosporus, and Judea back in to the fold alongside his own legions and Armenia. Now Cappadocia and Antony were isolated from their allies, and as the full scale of the Conspiracy had been unveiled (and how close it had come to success), the Prefect of the East new he had to act.

First he must strike against Cappadocia. Some may have thought Antony, as the originator of the should have been the first to fell the wrath of the Crassi, however by attacking Antony, Crassus would be attacking Caesar, a man Crassus wanted to keep onside for the moment. Cappadocia however was weak and alone, ruled by a king who thought he was a political genius with sparsely populated lands and surrounded by enemies, a swift campaign in Cappadocia would be a lightening victory. Four legions at most, combined with the armies of Pontus and Armenia would easily overwhelm Cappadocia, however there were still issues.

Namely, timing.

Should he attack Cappadocia with his full weight, he would leave his son in Roma alone for a few more months. However should he sail to Italia to save his son, he would be isolated and surrounded by false friends while the east stood alone at the mercy of Marc Antony. It was a hard choice, but he would have to deal with the Antonius Conspiracy before he sailed to Italia, a move which might lose him Egyptian support, however the were other fleets in the world that could serve him if that happened. He would not need all the eastern legions to root out the Conspirators...hopefully, which would mean if Publius was put on the run by Pompey or Caesar, he would still be able to sail to Italia at half strength. However, Crassus knew his son. Publius was a different man from his older brother Marcus, Marcus was a smart man and a good administrator but he was not a soldier and was not ambitious. Publius had received praise from Caesar for his soldiering and Marcus Tullius Cicero himself for his political skills, as such Crassus was confident his son would be able to survive a little while longer without him.

As Crassus considered this in his solar, imagining the legion of the east in their current positions on a map in his mind, a sharp voice cut through his rest. "Dominus!" cried the soldier at the door as Crassus called "Conon of Trapezos, a representative of Pontus is here at your pleasure. "

Crassus stood then, smoothing out his dyed red tunic as he hauled himself upright on a table. "Show him in then soldier" he said in reply. The legionary saluted an turned as the youth entered. Clean shaven like a Roman, he wore a Celtic torc around his next and wore a Persian cloak the Pontic are a bizarre race thought Crassus as he looked at the young man "Ave" he said finally "Your master said you would be arriving soon."

8th April, 43 BC, Roma, Italia

So it begins thought Publius as he looked out from the heights of the Esquiline.

In the distance cohort after cohort of legionaries marched across the Tiber valley towards Roma. Publius had first got word of their arrival near Rome in the morning but now finally as dusk settled here the came, the vaunted veterans of Hispania and Dacia in shining armour, shields uncovered and ready for war. They arrived in three columns, one to the north, one to the north east and one to the north west. As each column came closer, Publius could see them spread out along a semicircular line just out of onager range. It would be a long time before the entire rebel army was ready to face the Servian Wall but already the vanguard of each column was setting up pickets and teams to dig trenches.

Facing them a top the walls were the elite of Publius' force, the legions. Ten thousand men stood at standardized intervals ever few paces and in clusters on the tops of the towers. Each man had polished his armour the night before and now they stood gleaming in the spring sun. During the night, some the legionaries would be taken down from the wall to form a reserve in the city along with Publius' five hundred cataphract guardsmen and the Roman Mob to be replaced with the less impressive Vigiles, but for now they were an impressive sight.

Each tower was home to either an onager or a ballista, each peaking out above the crenelations so their silhouettes were visible to the advancing soldiers. Publius wanted to make it clear to them, if they were to assault the Servian Wall they would not be attacking some ill defended Cantabrian hillfort, they would attack a city and do so under a hail of rocks, bolts and burning pitch. It was a vivid enough image to even give Publius pause for thought.

The timing of the enemy advance was good for Publius. A final shipment of grain had been able to arrive from the south before the Pompeian forces came and he had been able to destroy the Tiber bridges around Roma, all except one that lead directly on to the Servian Wall and would be a killing ground should Pompey assault it. He had also been able to see through his plan to cut and burn all the trees around Roma and take in emergency supplies of grain from the latifundia surrounding the city. Publius still feared Pompey, but he was in a good enough position now as he would ever have been.

As he turned, heading down from the Esquiline Hill towards his command post in the center of the city, he remembered his last coupe de grace. "Unfurl the banners!" he called and as the order was relayed down the walls, huge red and gold banners were rolled down the sides of each tower. They showed the golden eagle of Rome on a red background with the phrase SPQR embroidered on the front of each in large letters. It was a cheap psychological trick, to remind the Pompeian forces they were attacking their own city and their own people, but it might just turn the tide.

4th April, Jerusalem, Judea

As he heard his name called, Tribune Gnaeus Coponius Fabius ran through his brief one last time. He guards were left at the gate of the palace, a century of eighty mounted soldiers and the wily Primus Pilus was left in charge at the barracks just outside the city itself. Gnaeus did not take the Judean Queen for a snake who would try to capture him, but if she did his two thousand men were left under able command. If he were to fall, he would be avenged.

As the court herald ended his proclamation, the Tribune's black hair was curled in to ringlets in the patrician style; his sword hung low at his shins and his breast plate, decorated with scenes from Roman myth was freshly polished above his red tunic. He looked every inch the Roman patrician, personifying the ideas people all of the world either loved or loathed about the Res Publica. Either way, one could not deny this young member of the Fabii clan did not look glorious in the Judea sun.

As a hush descended of the girl-Queen's court, Fabius, military Tribune of Rome walked in to the the throne room. Passing rank after rank of hangers on, the young Roman kept his eyes focused on the space just above the Queen's head. He was twenty two, healthy and rich, and he exuded a form of sub-conscious pride, both in himself and Roma as he walked up to the Queen. Bowing slightly to the mistress of all Judea, he rose and began his exhortation.

"Great Queen" he began "I am sure you are aware of this conspiracy boiling up across the east. It is a plague that needs to be extinguished and as such I have been sent by my patron, the noble Proconsul and father of Consul Publius, Marcus Licinius Crassus, to make sure of your loyalty to the Res Publica and peace in the east. Can my patron count on your support in the wars to come?" Once he finished his short speech, he crossed his hands in front of his muscled chest and looked not unkindly at the Queen in front of him.

Letters sent on the 10th of April:

To All Clients Monarchs of the East and All Roman Governors of the Eastern Provinces

Health and Great Joy.

Recently, I informed you all (or those of you who didn't already know) of a conspiracy against Roman rule in the east. At that point the details of the conspiracy remained vague to me, but with just one letter I was able to shine a light on an alliance that sought to bring down the peace. However, since then, I have come in to possession of more information which I seek to share with you. I now have three letters sent by a dissident Roman general to loyal client kings who turned them over to myself and they show a deep and shocking plot.

They falsely accuses the King of Armenia, who has always been the greatest ally of Rome, of fermenting a conspiracy against the Res Publica in the name of Pompey Magnus. I can tell you now this is untrue slander, the Armenians have long been true allies of the Republic and would not betray her for the traitor Pompey. Thus I can only draw one conclusion, it is these conspirators, headed by King Ariobarzanes of Cappadocia, who threaten the peace of us all. How do I know this? They have exhorted loyal men to prepare for war against Rome's loyal client in Armenia, a treasonous act in itself. However, if it were true Armenia had aligned itself with Pompey, would they have not told me as well? I am Roman's chief justice in the east and if they wanted to push charges and make war against Armenia they would surly have come to myself first? However they did not, thus condemning themselves to charges of conspiracy as well.

There seem to be two ringleaders in this conspiracy, one of whom is a dissident Roman and shell be dealt with, the other is Ariobarzanes of Cappadocia. As such, in my role as Prefect of the East I hear by summon King Ariobarzanes III of Cappadocia to answer for himself in Antioch. He shall come on his own, with a maximum of fifty guardsmen and will answer the charges of conspiracy and treason. Failure to do this by the the 25th of the month or failure to reply by the 20th of the month will put him outside the law and will strip him of any Roman legal protection.

However, there is some better news. Queen Miryam of Jerusalem recently informed me that she had been an unwilling member of the conspiracy. However she has since demonstrated her loyalty to Roma and as such she has been forgiven. To all those who seek it, Roman mercy is boundless. However to those who fight against her, Roman justice is swift.

Marcus Licinus Crassus Parthicus, Praefectus Orientalis, Proconsul of Mesopotamia

To Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa

Health and Great Joy.

I am deeply reassured by your words and I to do all that I do for the good of Rome and the good of the Republic. I will have to discuss your offer with my allies, however rest assured that I do not want, under any circumstances, violence between myself and your patron Gaius Julius Caesar. I only seek to protect my son and the Republic. I also trust your word on Marc Antony's behaviour.

It is my aim that we will work together to defeat Pompey and restore the Republic, despite our differences.

However I am still not sure who this Brute you speak of is?

Marcus Licinus Crassus Parthicus, Praefectus Orientalis, Proconsul of Mesopotamia
Last edited by Elepis on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:01 am

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

The woman sighed, kissing her new husband once before she began packing. She found herself throwing most of her important belongings into the chest, and carrying it down the fine stone staircase. With her beloved right beside her, she was on her way through the courtyard before being stopped by a servant.

"Lady Agathe." said the boy "The King wishes to see you one more time before you go."

Ariobarzanes smiled as his daughter entered the room, and rose from his throne to walk towards her. His gaze was beaming with pride and utter joy; it seemed as though all of the light of Apollo's chariot had shown through from his being at that moment, for it not there could have been no other reason for his glow.

"My beautiful daughter." said the King before turning to the courtiers present "I wish for you all to depart; Alcaeus, do guard against any trespassers."

The courtiers nodded and departed to their various rooms; one by the one, the doors were closed and barred by the servants present. Finally, the General gave a final nod to his King.

"I wish for you to listen carefully." said the King in a voice that was barely above a whisper "You must go to Marcus Antonius immediately after you leave this place."

He then grabbed a letter from his regal robe and handed it to his new son-in-law, the loyal envoy of Octavian. With a smile, he made clear that he was at peace with the marriage.

"My son." said the King, looking at Cossus "You must make sure this is sent to the Admiral Agrippa. We cannot afford to die here."

Health and Great Joy,

I do seek your aid in the defense of a friend and ally of Rome. I fear for the lives of my people against this Armenian threat, and as you well know there remain their allies and benefactors which lurk in the shadows.

May the Gods bless you,

Ariobarzanes Reginus.

Cossus took Agathe's chest and carried it for her when a servant stopped them. Cossus followed closely behind only to put the chest down when the King gave him a letter. Cossus said to the king,"Your highness, I will deliver the letter when I reach Dalmatia , but I request one thing of you. I request you give my Agathe enough coin to sail across the Mediterranean once she delivers her message. I have left all of my personal coin with my legion. My Imperator gave me only enough to sail here and back. If you can give me this one request I will be in your debt."

He then knelt before the king and said,"I know should have done this yesterday, but now I kneel before you thanking you for releasing your beloved daughter in marriage to me. I will treat her with the utmost respect and protect her from all evils until my last breath."
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:05 am

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

Health and Great Joy,

May the Gods bless you,

Ariobarzanes Reginus.

Cossus took Agathe's chest and carried it for her when a servant stopped them. Cossus followed closely behind only to put the chest down when the King gave him a letter. Cossus said to the king,"Your highness, I will deliver the letter when I reach Dalmatia , but I request one thing of you. I request you give my Agathe enough coin to sail across the Mediterranean once she delivers her message. I have left all of my personal coin with my legion. My Imperator gave me only enough to sail here and back. If you can give me this one request I will be in your debt."

He then knelt before the king and said,"I know should have done this yesterday, but now I kneel before you thanking you for releasing your beloved daughter in marriage to me. I will treat her with the utmost respect and protect her from all evils until my last breath."

Ariobarzanes smiled, nodding. Moments later another chest was opened, filled with Roman dinari's of foreign make. With a breath from a servant, a medium sized pouch was placed before them.

"There you are, my children." said the King , before looking at Cossus "You are most welcome; treat her well."
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:13 am

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:Cossus took Agathe's chest and carried it for her when a servant stopped them. Cossus followed closely behind only to put the chest down when the King gave him a letter. Cossus said to the king,"Your highness, I will deliver the letter when I reach Dalmatia , but I request one thing of you. I request you give my Agathe enough coin to sail across the Mediterranean once she delivers her message. I have left all of my personal coin with my legion. My Imperator gave me only enough to sail here and back. If you can give me this one request I will be in your debt."

Ariobarzanes smiled, nodding. Moments later another chest was opened, filled with Roman dinari's of foreign make. With a breath from a servant, a medium sized pouch was placed before them.

"There you are, my children." said the King , before looking at Cossus "You are most welcome; treat her well."

Cossus smiled in thanks to the king,"Thank you your highness and I will treat her well. Just know my king that in the coming storm you are not alone. Legions of trained and battle hardened men will come to your aide. You are Eusebes Philorhomaios, Friend of the Romans. You will receive the mighty legions of rome, whether it be from Caesar or Octavian or even Lepidus, I do not know, but I do know you will never be alone." He got off his knee picked up the chest and turned to Agathe to give her a kiss.
My Political Compass:

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:59 am

29th April, Tarraco, Hispania Tarraconesis

Lucius Afranius was not in the best of moods. He was one of Pompey's most trusted and able military commanders, yet here he was, sidelined in Iberia with a army of disheveled auxiliaries. He should've been out there, on the front lines with the Magnus, not stuck here in Hispania commanding what was effectively a reserve force, and one smaller than Sextus' at that.

He swilled the last of his wine around in his goblet. Right now, anything was a good distraction.

"Legatus?"

"Hm?" Lucius glanced up from his wine, finally noticing the panting cavalryman standing in front of him. "What news?"

"We spotted a legion advancing down the coast, maybe two or three."

"Who's- No, don't tell me, there's only one answer." Lucius sighed. The only legions that could've reached Iberia were Caesar's. "How distant were they?"

"Two to three days at most."

"Well, it appears we ought to prepare for a siege." Lucius smiled slightly. Things were about to get more interesting. "Convene my officers here for lunch, and have the troops brought inside the city walls. Get the scribes to dispatch messengers to Sextus in Africa informing him of our current situation, with instructions for them to be forwarded to the Magnus in Italia afterwards."

"Of course, Legatus."

To Cato,

I do not believe now is the right time to make our move. Pompey and Caesar may race each other to Rome, but they will fight over who becomes it's master. Clodius and Publius too will fight for their own sides. Ultimately, all will emerge weakened from the current situation in Italia, and it is for that weakness which I intend to wait. When the time is right, we shall strike directly for Rome, and in one fell swoop destroy all the forces Pompey and Caesar have left in Italy. The matter of the Populares I will leave until that time, depending on whether they still hold Rome itself or otherwise.

Do not fear, Cato; the Republic will be restored. We must simply bide our time and await our opportunity.

Marcus Junius Brutus, Propraetor of Macedonia
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Pacific Brotherhood of Steel
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacific Brotherhood of Steel » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Clodius walked through the halls of the villa making his way to his quarters that he had been given passing through servants and slaves along the way. They would look upon him and quickly move out of the way. Not only did they know he was consul hut he was in his armor, ready to fight. It was an intimidating sight indeed.

He couldn't even remember the name of the man who had allowed him to stay inside his villa, he had far too much on his mind. Rome was under siege and he needed to take his men and relieve the defenders before Pompey forced his way in. Then there was Caesar. He didn't do anything outright suspicious but Clodius had been wary of Caesar and his actions. He needed to reached Rome before Caesar could. And there was the letter. Signed Ariobarzanes Reginus that stated the Armenians had allied to Pompey over Crassus.

Clodius found that very hard to believe. The Armenians had been stalwart allies of Crassus and a complete change of heart to Pompey was odd. Clodius dismissed the letter, though he held onto it, just in case. There were far more important matters at hand.

Clodius stopped by a window and stuck his head outside for a moment, taking in the site of the camps that sat outside the city. Pompey had taken the bait and chased Clodius up north, splitting his forces and severally weakening his forces. Clodius' own men had set up defenses outside the city and along the main road. Clodius had his men set up layered defenses on the road to fall back towards if they had somehow broke through and a few of his urban combat veterans had set up some suprises along the way. Clodius turned his head from the window and continued on.

Clodius finally made his way into his room and found both of his generals Mattius and Proculus. They stood hunched over a large table that had a map of the area layed over it. They both spoke softly of battle plans and what they would do in certain situations if Pompey's men gathered the courage to assault again. They lost much on their first assault, more than enough to realize that this was going to be a hard fought battle.

Both snapped up quickly when they realized Clodius had entered, quite silently actually for a man covered in armor, and saluted him. Clodius raised up a hand for them to stop and made his way towards the table. Quietly he scanned over it, mulling over the information that had been written over it, the metal figurines upon it representing their forces and positions.

It would be Clodius who would break the silence between the three "I wish to meet with the enemy general. If there is any chance that we could resolve this without the loss of more Roman lives I would have it done." His generals looked upon him with disbelief, it was obvious they either though him mad or stupid. Mattius would speak up next, "Sir, I believe that is out of the question. Their decision is made. They wish to ruin this republic at the behest of Pompey." Clodius looked down upon the table. He needed to finish this soon or the city would run red with the blood of Romans. "There is always a chance Mattius and it is that chance we have to take. It is precisely why I have called you here. If they agree to meet with me on my terms then you two shall accompany me." The two men sat in deep thought for moments before Proculus spoke, "And where would we meet? Neither of us would be willing to go to the heart of the enemy camps." Clodius gestured with his hand out towards the main road that led to their fortifications and eventually the enemy camp. "We would meet in the middle. Both disarmed to discuss. Hopefully I can convince them the error of their ways. If I can we will march to Rome with them taking the lead under our banner. An extra precaution if they hope to trick us."

Mattius turned back to the table and looked upon the field. It would be a slaughter with thousands dead. Clodius was of course right, he nearly almost was. "I don't like it but by the gods I will follow you anywhere Clodius. Even if you commanded me to March upon Hades o would gladly follow you in." The two turned to Proculus. Clodius would never do something so crucial without his generals approval. "I too will follow you down, Clodius. For the Senate, and the People's Republic of Rome." "For Rome!" Shouted the other two in response.

"You two should make your way back down to the field. In case they attack us while I draft this letter. Stand strong brothers, Rome depends on us." And with that the two men departed to oversee the men below and Clodius procured parchment and pen. He would write his letter and have a runner deliver it to the enemy.

Letter:

To (insert name here, I'm unsure of the enemy commanders name)

I request of you that we meet in the middle of our battlefield between my fortifications and your camp. I wish to discuss with you this fight and why you are here. All of Rome depends on our actions and I hope that you would make the right choice in this situation.

For Rome. For the Senate. For the people.

Publius Clodius Pulcher, Consul of Italia and all of Rome and it's holdings.
Last edited by Pacific Brotherhood of Steel on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ublia
Senator

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:59 pm

The Royal Palace, Sinope, Kingdom of Pontus and the Bosporan

Pharnaces glanced to Phillip after Conon had left, the general despite the sterness of his features lively eyes spoke of a worry. He hides everything well, well from everyone but me, the King noted having learned after years in the man’s company his thoughts.

“You worry about him too much old friend.” Pharnaces sighed, causing Phillip to shift uneasily for a moment his façade never breaking.

“I know, he’s far too clever to let anything happen to him…still all fathers worry.” The general sighed finally breaking to reveal a slight smile.

“True.” Pharnaces nodded attempting to hide his doubts, had his father worried like the old man? He wondered recalling the man’s affection for his daughters, his wives for Arcathius the son Mithradates had wanted as his heir,but regarding himself, Pharnaces remained unsure.

“I doubt Dionysius need stall your sister any longer.” Phillip noted glancing toward the door.

“Indeed.” Pharnaces nodded rising from his throne.

Gesturing for Phillip to follow the King strutted forward, his tall, lithe figure made more intimidating by the spare and muscular Greek shadow of Phillip that followed in his wake. Smoothing the creases from his Persian tunic of royal purple and long flowing robe he glanced a set of polished hoplite armour by the door to adjust his diadem before he exited the room.

As the slaves standing in constant silence swung open the heavy bronze doors Pharnaces glared haughtily as he saw the aged but ever beautiful figure of his sister ahead in a battle of wits with Dionysius. Undoubtedly the eunuch wants to tear out her tongue by now, Pharnaces frowned until Phillip leaned over and whispered in his ear.

“Shall I ride to the border fortresses when this business is over?”

At that the King simply nodded before they finally reached the eunuch who despite his obsequious smile, was squeezing his hands with rage behind his portly frame.

“Of course, of course my dear Princess…” he went on before catching a glimpse of the two figures moving behind him out of the corner of those dead eyes.

“Uh, your Majesty!” the eunuch beamed turning to bow before he moved away aside.

“Dionysius, my thanks for,” he searched for the right word, “Entertaining my sister.”

“Sister,” he then began turning to face her, “I do not know why you have come but I can only imagine. Unfortunately though I have little time for you or your sons games.” He glared.

“I know of your little conspiracy sweet sister, I know you wish war with our cousin of Armenia and I know you and that son of yours would dare even try to manipulate me into it. Yet you forget Cappadocia does not order Pontus, Pontus orders Cappadocia! Your husband stole his Kingdom from our father and you now help your son allow his dynasty to fester!” he roared recalling the years of that fool garbling about his friends in Rome, well where is Rome now Ariobarzanes?

“Athenais,” he then began iron voiced liked Phillip, “For the crimes of your son to conspire against Armenia and Crassus, Prefect of the East, I hereby arrest you as an accomplice in his schemes. Dionysius, guards take her to the tower, I’m sure our dear sister Adobogiona will want the company. Also Phillip on your way have the palace gates sealed and her companions taken in.” He noted coolly.

At that the guards in their armour stepped forward, “Princess if you would.” They demanded politely.

“Oh Princess do not worry, I shall make your stay most enjoyable.” Dionysius then smiled stepping forward as his men circled around Athenais.

Antioch, Syria Coele

A few days later....

Conon had barely arrived in Antioch, the proud capital of the Seleucids and now the Roman conquerors when he’s been approached by the men Crassus had sent to fetch him. Taken through Antioch’s bustling streets he watched with a certain awe at the peoples united behind the city’s high walls, Greeks, Persians, Arabs, Jews, Roman settlers and many other strange races choked the congested streets, while the sounds of a hundred tongues filled the air and incenses to a thousand gods wafted as he passed the temples great or small. Indeed an impressive monument to the vanquished Seleucids, he nodded recalling the histories he’d read as a boy of the proud conquerors, Seleucus Nicator, Antiochus III the Great and Antiochus IV Epiphanes. Finally though his reminisces were cut off as they reached the palace, now alas was not the time for sightseeing he reminded himself knowing full well his duties and the rewards he hoped to reap from them. Already as he dismissed his companions and was escorted toward Crassus’s solar he reviewed his plan, a daring one if it succeeded to crush Mark Antony and in the process gain for the Kingdom the power it had lost oh so long ago.

"Dominus!" cried the soldier escorting him, "Conon of Trapezos, a representative of Pontus is here at your pleasure."

"Show him in then soldier." A dignified voice called.

Nodding the soldier gestured for Conon to obey. Entering the solar Conon found it to be a spacious room, with all the trappings one might expect of a Roman and before a window facing the great city, stood the Prefect of the East himself, Crassus. The richest man in Rome, the true destroyer of Spartacus (not Pompey as many believed unfairly) and his slave revolt Pontus had so encouraged through her Cilician pirates and the subjugator of Parthia, he was old. That was the first thing Conon thought when he saw the conqueror. Dressed in a red tunic the old man, however dignified showed his age with his white hair, wrinkles and the way he propped himself against the desk, studying the young emissary in turn. He may not rule long even if he does take Rome, Conon noted his eyes narrowing with scrutiny, still it’s his triumph we need before anything.

“Ave." Crassus said finally "Your master said you would be arriving soon."

Recalling his Latin Conon smiled.

“Ave noble Crassus, I am pleased my masters letter reached so quickly and may I say how pleased I am to meet the great conqueror of Spartacus and the East.” He began, soothing his usually curt tone.

“Still I am sure you wish to discuss Antony and our dear foe Cappadocia. King Pharnaces, you’ve read, has already sent word to Armenia so we might discuss how to destroy the traitor but first my liege has requested I relay you my own strategy to deal with the enemy. To begin we are both more than well aware Cappadocia will fall, it cannot survive a war with Pontus, Galatia, Armenia and yourself not even with Antony. Yet even so the question remains how long will the war last?” he continued drawing Crassus’s further attention.

“If the rumours I heard when I entered Roman territory are true, Rome is under threat and you seek to relieve it. A move which would secure your power ahead of your rivals but should you act to quickly you risk leaving the east in shambles, Judea and Jews are hardly the most loyal of subjects, Cleopatra bore Caesars child and too leave could make your allies here fear your abandoning them to the wolves…”

He paused a moment before continuing.

“You are in a most difficult position noble Crassus,” He sighed “Thankfully though Zeus has seen fit to provide you with a means to crush Antony, ensure the east is secured and do so swiftly enough that you might save Rome. That means my noble Crassus is an alliance.” Conon smiled with wolfish glee as he stroke back into place a loose strand of his straight black hair.
Last edited by Ublia on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Canadian Green Tory and Nationalist, who loves History, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and is always down to RP

"'Whither is God?' He cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him- you and I.'"- F. Neitzsche, The Gay Science
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.51
Canada, Green and or Red Toryism, Environmentalism, Canadian Nationalism, Neo-Classical Realism
Neutral: Eggplants and Switzerland
Against: Communism, Separatism in Canada, Social Conservatism, Critical Theory (the last few years have been harsh), DESCARTES (don't blame me blame the Meditations)

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:35 pm

The Royal Palace, Sinope, Kingdom of Pontus and Bosporan.

Athenais was amazed not by the fact that she hadn't been able to get a word in, but by the notion that her brother was actually stupid enough to trust the Roman's; ah, like father like son. Yes, her son had the same mental disease, but at least the leading factions of Rome were not conspiring against his chosen allegiance.

Still she thought It will be nice to see family again.

She wondered, with their extended dynasty's capacity for familicide, how long it would take for the Pontian King's son's to realize that even if they did manage to kill her son, the Consul's of Rome would merely come in and slaughter them all. After all, their father had been Rome's greatest foe for years: he had started a damned war that had spanned continents and had involved nations and clashes of cultures. His own friends had plotted his death.

The notion that her brother could not see the pattern of self destruction was laughable, and she wondered vaguely if there was any hemlock nearby; it would be nice to do the honorable thing and die a noble death. Her father had, after all.
Last edited by Gharin on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President-John Wallace

Krugmar
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krugmar » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Hispalis, Baetica

The villa was fine, if not a little ostentatious, though it did make Juba pine for home. His host, Numerius Ovidius Plautus, a wealthy man and leading magistrate in Hispalis, as well as a benefactor and ally of Pompey, sat opposite him. Perhaps Juba had thought too lowly of the Romans, who in his eyes were all arrogant and egotistical, though his host seemed to believe himself far below Juba. Strange, considering Juba was to most high ranking Latins a mere provincial barbarian, someone to rule a rugged and rough land that they could not lower themselves to. Their arrogance was not completely unfounded, they had conquered enough land to make themselves equals of Alexander, yet like the Diadochi that came after such a great man, they now threatened to undo everything they had achieved.

"What are you thinking of, great king?" inquired his host.

"Of Alexander, dear Numerius, and I insist that you call me Juba, while I am a guest in this wonderful abode." he replied courteously.

"Ah, Alexander. I wonder if Crassus believes himself an equal, after his exploits against the Parthians."

"He likely does, yet he is not the one named Magnus, is he? All the gold in the world, and still he cannot buy even a glimmer of the image that is Alexander. I should imagine that posterity will remember him as a rich, old fool who achieved little. One hears rumours that he is always looking for more gold, one should pour gold down his throat to quench his seemingly bottomless thirst for riches." Juba joked, gaining a small chuckle from his host. They continued eating into the early evening, before retiring.

Hispalis, Baetica

"Write to my son, Hyginos, tell him that I plan to move north, into Gaul, to raid and pillage, unless I gain further orders from Pompey. I mean to stand with this man, so long as he is a man still standing, so to speak."

"Of course master, and any orders for Izem?" asked Hyginos, Juba's loyal Greek slave, and chief confidant.

"No, I told Izem to act upon his instincts, based upon the orders I gave him, and I shall trust him with such autonomy. Tell my son to begin recruiting and raising more troops, not hastily, but enough so that should my army be defeated, I should be able to return home and gather a new force for the next season."

"Very good." muttered Hyginos, quickly scribbling down the orders. "And do you think it wise to move into Gaul, and not wait for Pompey's orders?" he asked. Hyginos had a great deal of autonomy, having grown up beside Juba, always having served him faithfully. For that he had been rewarded, not only with several wives nor estates, nor the promise that soon he would become a freedman, nor even with his high position in the court of Juba, but primarily with his access to Juba's ear, and the freedom to use his voice as he saw fit.

"I do not wish to be seen as Pompey's lapdog, I must act upon my own initiatives. If I win this war for Pompey, I may be able to leverage more rewards. Eighteen thousand men march towards Gaul, and if Caesar is smart, he will be busy dealing with Magnus in Italia. I do not expect to find any resistance on our way to, or in, Gaul."

Hyginos nodded, and turned to leave the room, planning to find a messenger. "Oh, and Hyginos, find me a woman or two, I don't relish the thought of spending tonight alone, before a long, hard march." Juba shouted to him as he closed the door. Hyginos sighed, thinking about what the poor queen would think, before scuttling off to do his duty.
Liec made me tell you to consider Kylaris

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

Cossus smiled in thanks to the king,"Thank you your highness and I will treat her well. Just know my king that in the coming storm you are not alone. Legions of trained and battle hardened men will come to your aide. You are Eusebes Philorhomaios, Friend of the Romans. You will receive the mighty legions of rome, whether it be from Caesar or Octavian or even Lepidus, I do not know, but I do know you will never be alone." He got off his knee picked up the chest and turned to Agathe to give her a kiss.

Agathe kissed back with a luster worthy of Venus. Her grin was bright as gripped his toga, her other hand on his arm. Grinning, she pulled back as she looked at her father.

"May you be well, father." said Agathe "Half of my heart shall reside with you."

"And mine with you, my child." said the King "Be well, and go."
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:31 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:Cossus smiled in thanks to the king,"Thank you your highness and I will treat her well. Just know my king that in the coming storm you are not alone. Legions of trained and battle hardened men will come to your aide. You are Eusebes Philorhomaios, Friend of the Romans. You will receive the mighty legions of rome, whether it be from Caesar or Octavian or even Lepidus, I do not know, but I do know you will never be alone." He got off his knee picked up the chest and turned to Agathe to give her a kiss.

Agathe kissed back with a luster worthy of Venus. Her grin was bright as gripped his toga, her other hand on his arm. Grinning, she pulled back as she looked at her father.

"May you be well, father." said Agathe "Half of my heart shall reside with you."

Cossus started to walk out of the palace chests in arms. He wasn't sure what the future would bring, but he hoped it would bring peace. He'd met his love. He wanted to make money off this war and then settle down. That's what he wanted to do, but he didn't know if he was going to survive the war even. All he could do was hope.
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Albertae wrote:
Gharin wrote:

Cossus started to walk out of the palace chests in arms. He wasn't sure what the future would bring, but he hoped it would bring peace. He'd met his love. He wanted to make money off this war and then settle down. That's what he wanted to do, but he didn't know if he was going to survive the war even. All he could do was hope.

"My love." said Agathe "We must begin recruitment quickly; of what mercenaries do you know?"
President-John Wallace

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Gharin wrote:
Albertae wrote:

"My love." said Agathe "We must begin recruitment quickly; of what mercenaries do you know?"

Cossus pondered it a moment and said,"We could most likely get some from the Africanus provinces. I really do not know though. Let's just hope Octavian fares through this campaign successfully and can come to your father's aide."
My Political Compass:

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:40 am

10th April, 43 BC, Antioch, Syria Coele

Crassus looked at the man standing in front of him before he began speaking. He is like me, fifty years ago he thought to himself He is hungry, hungry for power, hungry of wealth, for glory. He yearns for immortality he thought, and then smiling to himself Just like I did. This man, Conon of Trapezus, was one of the new generation. Crassus' peers, men like Pompey, Cicero, Catilina, Lucullus, even that youth Caesar would soon be written in to the history books. It was men like this Conon, men like Marc Antony, Octavian, his own sons Marcus and Publius, who were the future he realised. Crassus still remembered Sulla and Marius, Verres and Hortensius and he still regarded them as his contemporaries, but they were all long dead. The new generation, like the youth standing in front of him, had only read about these great men in their books, much as their children would read about Marcus Licinius Crassus. It was a sobering thought and set the tone for the conversation.

"Please, have a seat" said Crassus, himself reclining back in to his chair. "Let me tell you something, young prince. All men die. I expect to meet my end in a few years from now, a decade at most. If you are lucky, you will live as long as I have but you will still soon die. Men do not gain immortality, men do not live forever, only our names do. The names of our families. We Romans have a custom, each time a member of a family sets up house, he will line the atrium of his new abode with wax masks of his ancestors stretching back as long as time itself. This way, the new generations can see the greatness of their family and their name. My only desire now that I have seen my seventy third winter is to make sure that five hundred years from now, my face and the faces of my sons, have pride of place in houses across Roma. I do not want war, I want to make sure my family name lives on in history. I want my sons to be as well known as I am now, and I want them to be remembered centuries from now. But now that legacy, the only thing we leave the world, is threatened. By attacking Roma, Pompey has declared war one my family. The same is true with that fool in Cappadocia, by trying to undermine me, he is trying to remove my family name from history. To confine us to nothing. "

Crassus paused then, looking in to the eyes of the youth opposite him with burning eyes "I do not want war. But anyone who threatens my family will die screaming. Just as those six thousand slaves who lined to road from Capua to Roma died."

Crassus paused for breath then and continued. "As such, I agree to your proposal. Ariobarzanes thinks himself a great man, we will show him he is not. He is just another pretender to the throne of immortality. I cannot risk a long war in the east while the real game goes on in Italia, but I cannot let the east destroy itself while I am away. Thus, my generals have come up with a plan. We will fight a lightening war, four legions will march north in to Cappadocia from the south, joined by about half that number of Armenian troops. From the north, the armies of Pontus will descend simultaneously, splitting the already weak Cappadocian forces. Both forces will march on the capital of Cappadocia as their end game, and we will trap the fool-king in his palace. Any cities that resist us will be put to the sword, those that open their gates will be left alone. Any army that fights against us will be destroyed utterly, any that come over will be spared. At the same time, I will bribe and threaten the great lords of Cappadocia to come over to us, Rome had to put down a rebellion against the fool once, and now the lords see that he has lost Roman support, they will surely rise up again This way we will be able to destroy Cappadocian resistance with shock and awe. I want this campaign over as soon as possible, but I also want Cappadocia destroyed utterly. Once we have won, the kingdom will be dissolved, with portions given to Armenia and Pontus. Maybe a small rump state will be left over for a rebel lord to rule, we shall see. But either way the name "Cappadocia" will be obliterated."

Crassus paused again, cooling his anger. "I will leave what is left of Cappadocia for Pontus and Armenia to pacify while I sail for the west. You mentioned attacking Marc Antony. This, I would advise against until Cappadocia is destroyed. I know Caesar, and despite what that buffoon in Anatolia might think, Caesar will not march to fight us, nor will he let Antony march. Depending on the situation in the west, we may attack Antony after Cappadocia, but not yet."

Crassus stopped then, and waited for Conon to respond. In fifty years, he may well look like I do now. That is, if he survives. thought Crassus.
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Ublia
Senator

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:38 am

Antioch, Syria Coele

Death. Conon preferred not to think about it, shifting in the chair he’d so graciously accepted, nearing twenty and still on the rise of youth and ambition, it seemed to most in his position the wave of fortune would never end. Alexander the Great had thought so and yet he died young if famous all the same. Still Conon would rather he be famous and old when he passed on, uh leave it to a Roman to inspire such sobering notions, he mused as he listened attentively to Crassus’s words. Yet those notions quickly became infused with another Roman trait as Crassus now spoke to him, peering into his cunning eyes with one singular emotion as he spoke of those who dared oppose his legacy, wrath. Yes as Crassus described the fate of those pesky slaves, Conon felt for a moment, just a moment mind you a feeling of fear, a vengeful Roman there is no more dangerous a thing, his father had once said. The young man now saw why in the flesh and he admired the man, who so perfectly portrayed that lesson.

All this gave the young royal secretary pause, considering then how this all effected his proposal? As if reading his mind then Crassus sighed.

"As such, I agree to your proposal […]”

The words brought a smile to Conon’s lips as the Prefect of the East continued. His plan was much in line with what Conon’s father and King had planned to expect during the brief discussion before he’d left for Syria in the palace. A swift war Crassus described, a swift war in which Cappadocia and Ariobarzanes would be destroyed utterly, their corpses left for the buzzards as Pontus, Crassus and Armenia would soar in victory. Already Conon suspected his father was readying troops at the border fortresses, the ports of Amasia, Sinope and his home city Trapezos would be bustling, as Scythian and Sarmatian horsemen were ferried from the Bosporan and the King readied his personal forces while emissaries to the wild hill tribes would order them to be vigilant of attack. Yes Pontus would do well in this war, Conon knew.

Finally as Crassus finished his anger at the men who would dare try and undermine him cooling he declared this:

"I will leave what is left of Cappadocia for Pontus and Armenia to pacify while I sail for the west. You mentioned attacking Marc Antony. This, I would advise against until Cappadocia is destroyed. I know Caesar, and despite what that buffoon in Anatolia might think, Caesar will not march to fight us, nor will he let Antony march. Depending on the situation in the west, we may attack Antony after Cappadocia, but not yet."

Deep in thought, Conon was pleased and surprised all at once. Antony seemed a loose cannon in his eyes as he recalled the imperious letter from Pergamon, furthermore he quietly doubted Antony would simply sit back and watch his only supporter slip away. Manius Aquillius certainly hadn’t, that grasping and vain Roman who thought he could conquer Pontus and Mithradates only to see Asia conquered from under him and molten gold poured down his throat. Somehow Conon suspected Antony though just as prickly wold prove more dangerous…

“My master will be most pleased by all this, noble Crassus. Your war plans are very similar to those the King’s general my father Phillip proposed. Scythian’s will lead the invasion on our front, ravaging Cappadocia and disorienting the foes, even the proud knights of Cappadocia are no match for the screamers. When they are through we will strike in tandem as you wished, seize the northern provinces and join you to take Mazaka.”
He nodded reviewing this aloud before recalling something else.

“Uh yes, regarding your bribes as helpful as they are Pontus believe has two equally successful tools to further assist in Ariobarzanes downfall. As you likely know there are certain Cappadocian exiles in Pontus, to be precise Gordius the Younger, son of the late Gordius who ruled as Viceroy of Mithradates in Cappadocia. Such a man could be used for clandestine means to open fortress gates… yet still we have acquired something even greater.”

He continued watching Crassus’s expression with interest.

“We have Athenais, Ariobarzanes mother in our custody or at least we should by now.”

Sensing a question of how, Conon decided to answer it quickly to discuss a greater issue.

“How we acquired her is she arrived as I left, undoubtedly to pour sedition in my King’s ear but my liege learned long ago from his mother, never trust a Pontic Princess. Already I imagine she’s been seized or at least locked away in a tower, either way she is a useful hostage to bring with our army and force gates open.”

He finished deviously before taking a more grave tone.

“Noble Crassus, I appreciate your understanding of Caesar and will ensure my King heeds your advice. Yet still I must say, even a stern man as Caesar sometimes cannot keep an angry dog no matter how loyal from snapping. I fear Antony will be such a creature once Cappadocia is removed, therefore I feel it is best we have a means to counterbalance Antony for when you leave for Rome. Not only one consisting of Pontus, Armenia and the Kings of the East, no I would propose you align with a power to keep Antony tame from the west. I propose an alliance with Brutus in Greece…”

Conon now sat quietly watching Crassus, considering his reaction and regarding his own logic. Brutus however conservative is far more reasonable then Antony, bless the stoics, he likely is more suspicious of Caesar then Crassus and finally it’s simply the best means to ensure Antony is contained when Crassus left for Rome. All points he was sure a man as calculating as Crassus could see.
Last edited by Ublia on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
A Canadian Green Tory and Nationalist, who loves History, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and is always down to RP

"'Whither is God?' He cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him- you and I.'"- F. Neitzsche, The Gay Science
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.51
Canada, Green and or Red Toryism, Environmentalism, Canadian Nationalism, Neo-Classical Realism
Neutral: Eggplants and Switzerland
Against: Communism, Separatism in Canada, Social Conservatism, Critical Theory (the last few years have been harsh), DESCARTES (don't blame me blame the Meditations)

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alouite » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Mark Antony
Nicomedia,
Bithynia,
The Roman Republic

Antony swung his sword again, slicing the head off of the fighting dummy, and in that moment a thought came to his mind. He took a step back sheathing his blade, removing his gloves and helmet and whipping specks of sweat from his forehead. He had been practicing for a few hours now, using the time to store up on his technique. He was going to find a sparring partner soon enough, but for now he dealt with what he had.

Antony walked from the room and to his desk. During his time over to the desk he considered what he would write, thinking over his current situation. He hadn't gotten a response from Pontus or Gallatia, so he knew he could not rely on them, and that, indeed they could have revealed his plans to the enemy. He took a deep breath and pushed his chair aside, leaning over to write the letter, grinning as he did so.

It is with regret that I inform you of a grave betrayal in the east. Until recently I have refused to name this menace, but now it has become clear that he must be eradicated and that despite my best preparations, that I cannot solve this problem alone. I would like to inform you of a betrayal at the hands of Crassus and his supporters in the East and in Armenia. He has begun preparing forces for an invasion of the eastern Kingdoms and my very land as well. His forces seek to solidify his power in the East and then march West to become a new Roman King, and it is for this reason that while I originally wanted to subdue this threat without bothering the heartland in these external politics, that I found it necessary to write you in regards to this.

These are times of great turmoil, let us together, pacify the realm,

Your Friend and Loyal General,

Marcus Antonius

As before sent for Aelius, the same Decius he previously had sent to Judea to come into the room. When the soldier arrived he motioned him over and whispered into his ear secrets for Publius's ears only, Aelius Purpureo had been loyal thus far, and he trusted that soon the young soldier could be trustworthy of Antony's secrets. The boy was an orphan raised in his Legion, and while still too young to tell, could one day become a loyal subordinate general. Only time would tell. He then called in a spy of his, a Pontic man named Dion Spiros, the man had served him well domestically, but now he would enlist him in an even greater job. He whispered in the man's ear and sent him north, he was to take a boat for a fishing village north of the Caucusus mountains, there he would cross to the Caspian sea and use the gold Antony handed him to buy a boat to take to Parthia. To prove the truth in his word he carried paper that bore a stamp with Antony's mark on it. Instead of any writing, he would be the message. With the men gone, he sat back in his chair and smiled again, he then got up and walked into his personal quarters.
Last edited by Alouite on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Commonwealth of Hank the Cat
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Commonwealth of Hank the Cat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Petra, Capital of Nabetaea

"Give me that letter, and stop standing around doing nothing."

The roman courier stepped forward and gave Malichus I, King of the Nabateans the letter from Marcus, prompting Malichus to open it up and start reading. Upon finishing it, Malichus looked up and spoke to the courier. "What is this?"

The courier spoke. "My lord Marcus Antonias wishes for you to march to Syria, as your vows to Caeser asks you to help stop this foolish rebellion that seeks to destabilize the Empire. It is by your vows that you are asked to participate and march your forces into Syria to stop the traitorous Armenians. If you do not, then my lord will consider your small realm to be traitors and we will turn Petra into dust. Will you send reinforcements? If you do, then my lord will consider you to be a trusted ally of Rome."

Malichus looked at the ground, thinking. He had preferred to ride out the civil war and simply side with however one, but now that he is being pushed into the war, and he was aware the threat held water, he realized that he must now side with the forces of Caeser.

Malichus looked up slowly, and spoke to the courier. "Tell your lord Marcus Antony that I will have my most trusted General Aretas lead 6,000 of my infantry, and 3,000 of my Calvary to march into Syria, though please tell him that we will have to link up with your lords other allies. Will you tell him this?"

The courier seemed to be suspicious, and spoke matter-of-factly. "Why do you not want to deploy all of your forces? Are you planning on betraying us later on?" Malichus became nervous and spoke back. "No, sir, I must defend Petra from rebels, I am sending as many as I can."

While the courier seemed suspicious, he then spoke. "Very well. I will tell my lord that, but let me be clear, I will tell my lord that you are not sending all of your forces, and I will ask him to make sure we link up with your forces, but remember, if you are being deceitful and do not send your forces, my lord will know and he will destroy you."

Malichus nodded nervously. "I understand. Goodbye, I will tell Aretas that he must prepare his armies supplies and head to Syria. Thank you for coming here."
Last edited by Commonwealth of Hank the Cat on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:52 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:29th April, Tarraco, Hispania Tarraconesis

Lucius Afranius was not in the best of moods. He was one of Pompey's most trusted and able military commanders, yet here he was, sidelined in Iberia with a army of disheveled auxiliaries. He should've been out there, on the front lines with the Magnus, not stuck here in Hispania commanding what was effectively a reserve force, and one smaller than Sextus' at that.

He swilled the last of his wine around in his goblet. Right now, anything was a good distraction.

"Legatus?"

"Hm?" Lucius glanced up from his wine, finally noticing the panting cavalryman standing in front of him. "What news?"

"We spotted a legion advancing down the coast, maybe two or three."

"Who's- No, don't tell me, there's only one answer." Lucius sighed. The only legions that could've reached Iberia were Caesar's. "How distant were they?"

"Two to three days at most."

"Well, it appears we ought to prepare for a siege." Lucius smiled slightly. Things were about to get more interesting. "Convene my officers here for lunch, and have the troops brought inside the city walls. Get the scribes to dispatch messengers to Sextus in Africa informing him of our current situation, with instructions for them to be forwarded to the Magnus in Italia afterwards."

"Of course, Legatus."

To Cato,

I do not believe now is the right time to make our move. Pompey and Caesar may race each other to Rome, but they will fight over who becomes it's master. Clodius and Publius too will fight for their own sides. Ultimately, all will emerge weakened from the current situation in Italia, and it is for that weakness which I intend to wait. When the time is right, we shall strike directly for Rome, and in one fell swoop destroy all the forces Pompey and Caesar have left in Italy. The matter of the Populares I will leave until that time, depending on whether they still hold Rome itself or otherwise.

Do not fear, Cato; the Republic will be restored. We must simply bide our time and await our opportunity.

Marcus Junius Brutus, Propraetor of Macedonia

28th of March

Past the Pyrenees, Hispania

A legate had spoken up while Octavianus had sat down to ponder the strategy. The legate said,"My lord, would it not be a better idea to take Tarraco and eliminate the threat while it's still a small threat? If we do this, we can take the city, fortify it and use it to take out any other reinforcements from Africanus."

Octavianus looked the man in the eye and said,"Your sure of this?"

The legate was a bit thrown off by Octavianus' action, but he calmly said,"Without a doubt, Imperator."

Octavianus moved all pieces to the city and said,"Tell the men to be ready to march in the morning. We must be ready and capable of putting down any threat in this treacherous land. You ever know what that traitor Pompey will have his children do." He waved the legates and optios off to spread the word. He readied to go to sleep for he would need it.

29th of March,

Past the Pyrenees, Hispania

The last tents had been packs up and the last legates had gotten on their horses. The march had begun. For four days they would have to march to Tarraco. He could only hope that by the time they got there the defending army wouldn't have had reinforcements yet.
My Political Compass:

Alinora
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Salona,
Dalmatia,
Roman Republic

It was the early morning in Salona, and Agrippa arose to the sound of marching troops in the city below. It was common for the Legion, which under Agrippa was some 9,000 strong, to march through Salona's streets a sign of strength, and to show the people that they were safe under Roman rule. He picked himself out of bed, looking back to the naked woman who was still well asleep. He grunted to himself and began tying up his shirt, then proceeded to his desk and took a seat. Today, it was straight to work. The next phase of his plan was contacting Aemilius Lepidus, who last he heard, was parked somewhere in the Channel. If things were to work, and Rome was to saved, Agrippa would need Lepidus' full support in the coming battle. He grabbed a piece of paper, dipped his pen in the inkwell, and began writing.

To Marcus Aemilius Lepidus,

Good Health and Joy.

My friend, while I wish I was contacting you under better circumstances, that is not the case. I have reached out to you because Rome is in danger, as you are probably well-aware, and the time is fast approaching that we, the men loyal to Caesar, move to squash those who work towards Rome's demise. I cannot name names on paper - it is too risky - but I'm sure you know who I speak of. This short letter is to ask one thing of you, and while it is a tall order, it is for nothing less than the survival of Rome. I ask you to lend me your fleet, or oversee it, here in the Mediterranean. I and my allies are amassing a navy, and an army, that is destined to protect our nation from those who seek to undermine it. Though, for now, I urge you to instead back Octavianus in his campaign, for that is where matters are most pressing. As I have said, it is quite the tall order, but everything is at stake, my friend. I await your response, and I hope all is well.

Glory to Rome.

Admiral Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Last edited by Alinora on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse