NATION

PASSWORD

The Liquid Shock | KYLARIS ONLY

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Kisinger
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2014
Father Knows Best State

The Liquid Shock | KYLARIS ONLY

Postby Kisinger » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:14 pm

THE REGION OF:
KYLARIS

Presents:
The Liquid Shock

"Control Oil and you Control Nations; Control Food and you Control the People"
- Henry Kissinger, 56th United States Secretary of State

Tarba Khalifa, Tamin, Samastara

The Tarba Khalifa, the worlds largest man made sky scrapper. While originally meant to be a hotel it was now a host to the single most important diplomatic event in Badawiyan History. Every single PENB nation was present from Al-Marha to Fars, whether in the form of a Head of State or Ambassador. The conference, held at the top of the Corporate Suites.The room itself was very plain, with whitewash walls opposite to the glass walls and a brown carpet, with a table set with numerous chairs and flags carefully placed for each attending nation with Samastara being at the head and the Farsi delegation to the right of President Mazhar.

With the last of the various delegations being seated Mazhar stood and spoke, "Attention my friends, colleagues, and acquaintances." He took a pause as the room slowly became quiet, "As many of you know, the so called, 'Democratic International Treaty Organization' has continued in a war against the rebels in Nuranz for several years, to the point where continued investment in the rebel organization is becoming... Less than worthwhile." Sipping from a glass of water he continued, "I myself now how to bring this conflict to a close as many of you do as well, a complete Petroleum Embargo of DITO and DITO aligned nations."

He looked around with the clear majority expecting this as he had various talks before hand securing support of a variety of Badawiyan nations. "I do know for a fact my Salamic Brothers and I have agreed to such a move now we only look to our Farsi counterparts to agree before we go ahead with this move and bring the War in Nuranz to an end."
Last edited by Kisinger on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Don't you dare take my other 75% orgasm. I'm a greedy womyn, influenced by the cold hard erection of the patriarchy.

"First rule of leadership: everything is your fault." ~ Bug's Life

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:23 am

The leader of the Farsi delegation looked unassuming at first. He had a regular hair cut, with the black colour of his youth now dominated by large areas of grey around the sides and back. He had brown skin, wrinkled from the unrelenting heat of the Farsi sun and wore a grey suit, like so many bureaucrats across the world wore, its thin sliver pin-stripes glistening slightly in the bright light of the Tarba Khalifa skyscraper. The diplomat assumed the Samastaran's had chosen this glass phallic tower to intimidate him. Look at the power of Samastara. We have wealth, we have science, we have the world. was what the skyscraper seemed to shout out at the people of Tamin, and Badawiya in general. But the ambassador saw the tower for what it was, a desperate cry for attention from a nation as new as the morning sun, very little in this country could compare the ancient wonders of Fars.

Besides, the small brown man in the grey suit was not just any cloned bureaucrat, he was Ardashir of the famous Zand family. He had brokered deals for Fars since his mid-thirties and he had family in all walks of life back home, from museum curator to army Brigadier.

The ambassador took off his glassed, he didn't really need them, but he thought they went with his iron-grey hair. "The Farsi people were appalled as anyone when the forces of DITO invaded Nuranz, Mr President" began Ardashir, it was clear the other Salamic nations had already agreed to embargo, and so had the government in Susa. However Ardashir, who was named after the great Farsi warrior-Shah of the Verliquoian-Farsian Wars, was determined to get something in return for Fars.

"However, what I don't see" continued the Farsi "Is that what benefit this embargo will have for Fars? It is clear what you get, Mr President, the alignment of your fellow Salamic nations to your cause and yourself, however what do my government and my people get? We are no Salamic, if the Farsi have religion at all it is Zoroastrian or Manichean. We are a more liberal people, my own Premier is married to a man, a fact many around this table must be appalled by. My people are not even Badawiyan, and our culture dates back almost a millennium before your own. So as we are not brothers, not really, what do we get from this....trade war?"
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Kisinger
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kisinger » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:00 am

Mazhar smiled and looked to the esteemed diplomat, "Ah, well, the old nation Fars benefits from the rising oil prices, just as every one else here does." Pausing for a second. and then speaking again, "Everyone here benefits in the same way, not to mention, we bring peace to a war torn nation if this succeeds."he looked around the room and then finally back to the Farsi diplomat sipping a glass of water.

"Now, unless you want to continue to offend your respective business partners in this organization by intentionally bringing up different customs from ours, I suggest we move on." He pulled a brief case from under the table and set it lightly on the table pulling out a number of papers and setting them to the side. "Now unless the Farsi delegations would like to try and secure a deal that no one else here will be getting, I do believe we are ready to sign this and issue the embargo today, though the oil will not be cut off completely for a few more days following the embargo." He took the brief case and set it under the table as he reached inside his coat pocket and pulled out a pen.
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Don't you dare take my other 75% orgasm. I'm a greedy womyn, influenced by the cold hard erection of the patriarchy.

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:48 am

Ardashir smiled to himself, the little Badwiyan was more astute than he expected. The rising oil prices answer was obvious, and the main reason the Farsi government had signed off on the plan already. Fars was an energy super-power, but like all nations, reserves of oil and gas were decreasing over time. There would come a point on some day in the next century when Fars would run dry. Money raised from this embargo would go towards making sure Fars could continue her development and expansion after that point, with investment in to solar and nuclear power. Oil might run out, but the world's demand for energy never would.

"Well" he said. "There is a sticking point with cultural issues. As much as the Farsi public may be against the war in Nuranz, there will be many in the capital and across the nation who will be worried about what message Farsi-Badawiyan cooperation will send to the LGBT community. Some nations around this table have less than good LGBT rights, in stark contrast to Fars. If I am to sign off on this deal with all complete satisfactions, I and the Premier would like some reassurance that LGBT right in your countries will be improved."
He paused, wondering how much to say "If we can agree that in some regard, then I will happily join you all in this venture."
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):

Kisinger
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kisinger » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:38 am

TarbKhalifa, Tamin, Samastara

"We have previously discussed such a proposal occurring and we have all agreed that it is in the best interests of Badiwya." Uncapping the pin he signed the paper and passed it to his right who signed it and the process continued. When they had all signed the document, Mazhar stood up holding the document up and Proclaimed "A new era has dawned upon us!"

insert Press Conference

PENB EMBARGOES DITO

PENB MOVES AGAINST DITO

Yesterday, following a meeting of PENB or Petroleum Exporting Nations of Badawiya. They announced a complete Oil Embargo on all nations in DITO, or who consider themselves to be DITO aligned. They soon after issued several demands, involving DITO leaving Badawiya entirely or face a continued embargo for the foreseeable future. Following this announcement, the Samastaran Oil Terminal at Tamin has stopped filling up Eastern Ships entirely as the whole world awaits for the response from DITO.

Speculation of what the response will be has came up from a variety of sources, such as the Professor of Political Science at Tamin University, saying that, "DITO will first and foremost attempt to secure other sources of oil, following that they may try and open negotiations with PENB or attempt a widespread invasion of Badawiya as Asterian foriegn diplomacy in recent years has become less than coherent in recent years." While our own political correspondent has commented saying, "Put simply... DITO is ****ed." While on the internet the discussion circulating it has been rather comedic with notable sayings being "GG Samastara" and "Looks like Asteria won't have Lube this time around."

Last edited by Kisinger on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alinora
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:18 am

The White House | Columbia | Federation of Asteria

President White stood at the window of his office and looked out at the Asterian capitol with his hands on his hips and his blazer pushed back. The last day had been stressful, to say the least, and in the wake of the impending oil crisis he and his Administration found themselves in quite a troubled situation. To discuss courses of action, he had called for Secretary of State John Alborne and Secretary of Energy Greg Joplin to his office, but so far, no speaking was to be done. The two men whispered amongst themselves while the President stared out the window, but he eventually turned and began to talk. "They've played their hand, and now it's time to play ours." He took a seat in his chair and folded his hands on his desk, looking over at the Federation flag in the corner behind him then back at his colleges. "What are our courses of action?"

"The most clear course of action would to be turn to our own oil supplies." said Joplin, who folded his arms. "Most of our oil is untapped, but given a few months, we could work towards subsidizing the loss and stabilize oil prices."

"Months?" White chuckled and ran his fingers through his hair. "I don't think we have the sort of time."

"We could work out negotiations with Svalna." said Alborne. "They're likely our best option for an alternative oil supplier. If they're reliable, we could move away from dependency on Badawiya altogether."

President White seemed deep in thought for a moment, then stood up. "Yes, Svalna... that might just work." He paused for a moment, thinking, and quickly turned to his phone. "Let me make a few calls - organize a meeting with Svalna - and I'll talk to you two later." The two nodded and stood up.

"Yes, Mr. President." The two men left, and President White began to dial.

"Yes, get me a secure line to Svalna..."

The Not Federation of Democratic Regions
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Not Federation of Democratic Regions » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:27 am

The White Palace, Blomstra, Svalna

Eloise Alannah Willard, formally titled as Her Majesty the Queen, Catherine the Second, looked out the window towards the snow coated landscape outside with her hands folded in her lap as she posed for the artist. She was in the process of having her royal portrait painted, and when finished it would hang alongside the portraits of her family members who came before her as monarch. The white flakes swirling gracefully through the air outside made it quite easy to relax, as the simple motions of the snow carried by the wind could easily be described by anyone as mesmerizing.

The weather forecast had predicted a large cold front coming off of the northern mountains and leaving snow behind on its way south until it dissipated at sea. Already several inches of snow coated the ground, and the snow was starting to come down quicker and quicker. A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts, as she turned her head away from the panorama outside. "Enter."

Her secretary walked in, holding a tray with a cup of tea and a pastry on it. "Your refreshments, my liege. The foreign office sent a message for you as well. There is a secure connection from the Asterian White House on line two in your office." She sat the tray down and bowed before leaving the room.

"Good woman," Eloise thought to herself, "her family has served for several generations if I remember correctly." Standing up, she apologize to the artist. He had already had his work disturbed three times by official matters, and the portrait wasn't even halfway completed. Smoothing down the simple federal blue skirt she was wearing, she grabbed the cup of tea and left the room. As she passed under the high vaulted ceilings and pure white walls, she wondered what Svalna had that the Asterians could possibly want. If her memory served her correctly, they were under an embargo from the big oil producers.

The female royal guard posted outside her office shouldered her rifle and stood at attention as she approached. Most of the guards were drawn from the Household Cavalry and Grenadier Guards, and their rifles which looked like decoration were very much functioning. As the guard shut the door behind her, her eyes were drawn to the flashing red light on the phone indicating there was a waiting secure call. She sat down behind the desk and picked up the phone, connecting to the line.

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:11 am

Crisis, What Crisis?

Premier Hammond offers an explanation
Bashir Arsaces@FBS
2/7/2016 16:43 | Susa, Fars

Premier Hammond looking serious
Photo courtesy of Bashir Arsaces.

Susa

After yesterday's momentous announcement by the Samastaran government, there was a lot of pressure on Premier Hammond to confirm or deny the claim that Fars, the world second largest gas exporter and third largest oil exporter, was joining in the PENB embargo of DITO nations. Some in the media and politics praised the Premier's move, pointing to the hundreds of thousands of civilians killed in Nuranz as an after shock to the continued DITO interference there. However some claimed it was a short sighted move that would damage the Farsi economy in the long run while other pointed out the hypocrisy of a bisexual Farsi leader allying with Salamic totalitarians. However until the last hour we did not know the Premier's own reasoning.

In the last half hour Premier Hammond has been speaking to the world's press. While his speech is still ongoing, we can bring you the main body of it. The Premier has expressed his sadness at having to order this embargo, recognizing the "Severe effects it will have on the civilians of DITO. This embargo is not aimed at you, but your governments which have brought death and destruction to my region.", however he also said "When we witness one of our fellow nations being oppressed, it is our duty to act to protect them in anyway we can. This is not some ideological campaign against Euclea but an attempt to bring peace to our region." Mr Hammond also spoke on the possible effects of the embargo saying "In the short term, this will lead to a rise in the price in oil, cancelling out any short term negative effects. Fars will also be able to expand its oil market in Coius to places like Songuoo, Namkown, Hyndana and Darshistan, creating a more comprehensive oil network."

The Premier also commented on concession he got out of the Badawiyan nations "As a result of our participation, I was able to suggest the Salamic nations to accept LGBT people which they have agreed to do. " He also commented on the possible end of the embargo "Fars will turn on the taps to DITO as soon as they come to an agreement with us. I do not want an embargo, but we have to act."

Image Comments [ Number 0f Comments ] | Image E-mail
© ASFP 2016

Last edited by Elepis on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alinora
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:13 am

" WE WILL PREVAIL "
President White responds to oil embargo

ImageSHARE THIS: Image Image Image Image
Michael Cartman (@MikeyMike_CNN)
July 10th, 2016 | Columbia

White during impromptu press conference

Internationally -
The entire world is holding it's breath as this morning, the Petroleum Exporting Nations of Badawiya (PENB) announced a complete oil embargo on all nations in the Democratic International Treaty Organization. This decision, a direct result of Federation and DITO influence in the region, has come at great shock to many of the organization's members, but President White has made it clear that all nations suffering from this embargo must remain calm. In response to the panic over possible effects on the economy, President White has appeared before the press to give an explanation of the situation, and the Government's current course of action.

"As of now, we do not have enough information to come to a final course of action, nor have we spoken with our allies in DITO." says White. "We do, however, know that we will not allow ourselves to be intimidated. We have begun looking into our own oil sources in Freeman, the Florian Oil Arc, and the Bay of Alexander. In addition, we are beginning to open negotiation channels with other oil producing states in order to maintain economic stability and to show the PENB that the Federation of Asteria will not give in to threats."

Until further notice, the Federal Government has instituted the "Fuel Preservation Plan" in order to conserve fuel and use less until the situation can be repaired. Carpooling is recommended, and doing so with more than two passengers is smiled upon. People living in cities are encouraged to make better use of the subways and other forms of public transportation, and the use of oil for purposes unrelated to transportation is unadvised. President White has announced that he is currently organizing a meeting with other DITO leaders to develop of full response to the situation.

Image Comments [ 16787 ] | Image E-Mail
    © Columbia News Network Inc. 2016

Image 16787 comments

Alinora
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:30 am

The Not Federation of Democratic Regions wrote:...

"Ma'am" a voice said from the other line. "Thank you for answering, this is President White." He paused for a moment, taking a seat in his desk, then continued. "I imagine you are aware of the impending oil crisis that is effective the Federation and her allies, yes? I would like to organize a meeting with you to work out an oil deal, if that is at all possible."
Last edited by Alinora on Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:17 pm

The Cabinet of Glytter had been summoned to an emergency meeting by Taoiseach Alexis Walker. The world was once again in crisis, something Walker was no stranger to. During her time as Minister of Foreign Affairs and Taoiseach, hold each of the two positions subsequently for over a decade, she had overseen the Glytteronian response to crises of all proportions. The Great Recession that challenged her might was defeated, as were the South Eucleans who tried to resist her bailout. Walker was affectionately known as the Iron Woman by her supporters, after all.

Cabinet ministers had each taken their place around the conference room in the T Block. The room was bland, and still subscribed to the modernist decor of the 1970s. The true decorations were not on the walls, but rather siting in the seats around the wooden table. The Second Walker Government, as it would formally be known throughout history, was one of many personalities and as usual they would shine during the crisis. A battle among her ranks was brewing, but Walker had yet to catch onto it. In fact, the combatants had not caught on either.

For several minutes the ministers discussed the crisis with the Taoiseach acting as a moderating force. The Minister of Petroleum, Alastar Leslie, did his best to keep the calm while inadvertently causing a global panic. "RPG will continue extraction as usual" he reassured the Cabinet after his projections sent the global oil market into panic.

"If you do not mind me asking" Brian Fitzgerald said as he shifted in his chair, placing his folded hands onto the cold surface of the table. "Does the Ministry of Petroleum have a loose plan for supplying our allies abroad? I know it is early yet, and he Ministry has been busy preparing other figures, but this is something we most certainly need to consider. Fitzgerald served as the Minister of Trade and Tariffs and was a member of the FItzgerland dynasty, one of both noble and political origin. His father served Taoiseach of Glytter in the 1960s while his eldest brother served as leader of the Liberty Party and his other brother served as the Secretary-General of the Community of Nations. Both held the posts until their deaths. The Fitzgeralds of Holyhead were a household name in Glytter, and the support of Brian Fitzgerald was priceless.

"We have no comprehensive plan yet" the much younger Leslie replied. "I was hoping to discuss that first with the full Cabinet before wasting too much manpower on it."

Walker decided to step in. "As Alastar told the press, first we must help ourselves. Then we will see to it that Gaullica and Estmere get as much relief as we can provide. Should we have the ability after we assist our dear friends in Verlois and Aldingham, we will look to help the members of the EC affected by the embargo."

"Exactly what I was hoping you would say, Madame" Fitzgerald said with a faint smile. He liked Walker.

"Has anyone considered the legality of the embargo?" Jimmy Reilly, the Minister of Justice and Equality asked. Fitzgerald didn't like Reilly.

"That is not really one of our foremost concerns" Frank Casarnach replied. The Minister of Foreign Affairs viewed Reilly as a political enemy, waiting for the bloody battle that would come following the end of Walker's third term. This was far off in the distance, but Casarnach knew he would have to act quickly to consolidate the support he needed and pull the rug out from under Reilly.

He turned his attention to Walker. "If you would like, I can reach out to the Gaullican and Estmerish governments and reassure them of our commitment." This of course was the exact opposite of what Frank wanted to do. However, as long as he was given the authority to do so by Walker he could delay it as long as possible.

"That would be wonderful, thank you Frank" Walker replied. She continued carrying the conversation on, listening to input from the Ministers of Energy, the Environment and Climate, and Immigration and International Relief. Each had unique concerns that Walker would consider carefully, but ultimately their concerns were more of a long term issue than one for the short time.

As the dialogue continued the meeting soon came to a close, with the Taoiseach dismissing the Cabinet. As the various ministers filed out to return to their respective offices, Casarnach approached Minister Fitzgerald as he walked towards the elevator.

"Brian, do you have a moment to meet privately?"

"Of course, anything for you Frank" Fitzgerald replied.

Alinora
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 pm

THE MORAL STANCE
President White gives a speech to counter the recent oil embargo

Michael Cartman (@MikeyMike_CNN)
July 10th, 2016 | Columbia

President White addresses the nation on the porch of the White House

Columbia -
It has been a full day since the oil embargo by the Petroleum Exporting Nations of Badawiya (PENB) took effect, and with gas prices rising by the hour, President White took the podium to deliver a speech to the nation. While he appeared before the press last night, the White Administration had no clear response to the unfolding events at this time, but the President's words today were very clear, and very direct.

"This embargo," says White, "is no less than a clear show of support of the genocide that has been carried out in Nuranz for the past 15 years. The systematic starvation and mass execution of more than four million Bahians in Nuranz, carried out the Salamic extremists of Al-Haras, was quelled only by the entrance of Federation troops into the region, which reestablished the Republic and liberated millions under the mercy of the terrorist organization. Major conflict in the nation has subsided, and the role of Federation, Estmerish, Negaran, and Nuranzi troops has shifted to peacekeeping, but tens of thousands still live under constant threat of Al-Haras. To remove DITO presence in Nuranz would to be allow the genocide to escalate once more and disrupt the peace that has been established, and due to the nations of Badawiya launching this embargo for the sole purpose of DITO removing itself from the region, I can only assume that this is for all purposes to see to the continuation of mass starvation and murder against the Bahian people.

"It is also repulsive that members of the Community of Nations, an international organization dedicated to Humanitarian efforts and the protection of Human Rights, would so easily remove the only factor preventing the continuation of genocide, which as I stated earlier, has claimed more than four million innocent lives. Members of this international body who even promote these acts by proxy must be held accountable, for they are now infringing on the Federation's ability - and that of DITO - to protect the people of Nuranz from Al-Haras. That is why I am formally condemning all member nations of the Petroleum Exporting Nations of Badawiya, and offer a resolution to be pushed through the General Assembly to do the same. Also, until further notice, the Federation will be freezing all foreign assets and bank accounts of all members of the PENB. This will remain in effect until we feel it is time to undo this action.

"In addition, I would like to encourage all other DITO members to stand against genocide and those who would watch as millions are systematically slaughtered. And so, I hereby invite all members of the Democratic International Treaty Organization and their allies to a conference in Columbia to formulate a plan that will allow us to stand against this disturbing push by those in the PENB to allow and thereby endorse ethnic cleansing and genocide."

Image Comments [ 12481 ] | Image E-Mail
    © Columbia News Network Inc. 2016

Image 12481 comments

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alouite » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:45 am

Chancellor Martin: "Roeselle stands with the Federation against Genocide"
After the major announcement by President White, Chancellor Martin announced that he would take a stand with the Federation and join DITO
AUTHOR NAME (@SeanAllain)
11 July 2016 20:54| LIBERTY CITY, ROESELLE

In a speech televised from the press room in the Crescent building in response to one made by President White of the Asterian Federation, Chancellor Martin addressed the current embargo that has been placed on DITO in reaction to their intervention in Nuranz.

Chancellor Martin spoke about the embargo making his view on the matter very clear. "The Asterian Government is correct when they say that this is about harming their efforts to prevent genocide in Nuranz for political and economic gain in those countries initiating the embargo."

He went on to discuss the state of affairs in Nuranz "This is a country where an entire demographic is being murdered en masse, and while until now we have provided diplomatic assistance to the DITO forces, they have been fighting for those in Nuranz too weak to stand up against the current genocidal regime in power."

Later he allowed a question and answer session with the press. One reporter asked what this meant for Roeselle, the Chancellor replied "What this means for our country is that we have reached a point where we see our allies being attacked economically for trying to prevent a genocide, and must ask ourselves, is standing by and hoping that DITO will be able to prevent this enough?" He paused, "The answer is no... We will not allow men who stand against genocide to be bullied. If these oil-rich countries want to embargo the only countries that are standing against the genocide in Nuranz, then I will gladly add our country to that list. The Federal Republic has always stood against injustice and genocides regardless of the politics behind them, and we will continue to do so now."

During his conclusion of his speech he made a very lengthy statement covering what the result of the current situation is. "As I mentioned, we will gladly stand in solidarity and support with those who oppose genocide, even if that means we must bear the burdens that they currently do. And so, I gladly am announcing that our government is now in the process of applying to join the Democratic International Treaty Organization. From time to time in history, people have to stand up for one another, and the Roessan government will gladly join the Asterians in preventing the genocide in Nuranz and across the globe, because this is about more than politics, it is about the future of humanity. I have already held a meeting with my department heads and we knew we would need to act with a sense of urgency against this horrible display of greed from those embargoing DITO. And they have supported and encouraged me to take this decision. However, to finalize the process of joining DITO the people will have their voices heard. There will be a vote in the Consul about this on the 15th of August this year to finalize the process of joining the organization. Hopefully being in the early process of joining DITO will not prevent me from attending the conference in Columbia, but regardless, this had to be done in hopes that we can put an end to, what frankly is now just a random hike on oil prices for the sake of making money at the expense of a people facing genocide."

National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:08 pm

The Republic Strikes Back
"Fine, cut our cheap oil. We'll respond in kind." - De Troumpe.

Antoinette Giourd (@agiourd)
10 July 2016 | Verlois, Ile de Fleur

De Troumpe's response to being asked "How big of an influence will the oil embargo have?"
Photo courtesy of Pierre Hougert

Verlois, Ile de Fleur - Following PENB's oil embargo, Gaullican politicians within the inner cabinet have supposedly been organising plans. Emails, we are told, have been sent to diplomats and ambassadors of Gaullica across the world - primarily to states close to us diplomatically, like Senouilliac. Such time also comes in with many individuals attempting to follow the advice given by the government; primarily carpooling, public transportation and walking. As an extra precaution and to the dismay of many, Vallette declared that "driving on Sundays is going to be declared illegal to conserve more fuel whilst we enter the storm that is this crisis." On a brighter side, many have remarked, is that thanks to Gaullica's dependency on nuclear and renewable energy our electrical power is still present and has shown no signs of going away.

In response to the embargo Foreign Minister de Troumpe gave a speech in Verlois today, in what many in his camp are calling "The Republic Strikes Back", a spoof on the Asterian Sci-Fi film of a similar name. Our reporter on the scene did manage to catch the crux of the Minister's speech. "In response to this systematic attack on the members of DITO; the Gaullican government - and that of many of our allies I might add, great people, by the way - have begun to approach our banks with the demands of freezing the accounts of the prominent figures dealing with the embargo; heads of state, oil executives. They gave us no mercy, we will repay them in kind. At least our method doesn't impact the lives of daily civilians. We've also begun to open talks with our friends, Negara, in an attempt to have them place their own limitations on the member of PENB. Our sanctions, in addition to an increase in the tariffs of food to these nations, will help us subsidise the flow of the much more expensive oil. But fine, cut our oil. We'll play in kind. We have played in kind. Now, I tell the members of PENB, we're ready to sit this war of attrition, are you?"
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Biyadh
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Biyadh » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:50 pm

Republic of Biyadh
Wadi Al'Aswad
Presidential Palace

.. "No, no. Our Badawiyan brothers are already wondering who we side with. This is not the time to wait. My friend and comrade assured me that we could count on him in case DITO turns on us. We will have the advantage over them!", Sharif Ghussein said. He had already said it once, two minutes ago, but then his son didn't react.

"Father, your comrade is long dead. Our advantage is long gone. Let me talk to Samastara and I assure you we will find a solution."

Of course he didn't really care about Samastara or DITO and all this conflict. Zafer was widely known to become the next President once his father would die, not because anyone would vote for him, but because that's how it was meant to be - everything in Biyadh was centered on his father, and ready to follow Zafer's lead afterwards. Yet besides intellectuals he had no one on his side, and ruling without having good relations with DITO could end badly. Zafer heard stories about his father's advisors asking him not to hold elections, but his father never listened and insisted they could manipulate their way through them for decades to come. But that was short-sighted. Teach a man to read and he will want to choose his own books.

"Dead? Watch your mouth, son. He may have appeared a little sickly recently... Dead? No, no", his father told himself and drank from a bottle of Vrepis, his favourite vodka. It was a rather sweet one, popular amongst the common folk. He offered Zafer a shot, but he declined.

"If we join the embargo, DITO will not take that lightly. What should we care for the other Badawiyans? They'll have to forgive us, or else they're all alone in this world. DITO, however, can take us far, father. I know it's not easy for you, b-" - "No, Zafer. It would be easy for me. One statement and everything would work out. Doesn't that sound good? Shouldn't I begin to write it right now? No. This is not about statistics or relations or economics, it is about out heritage. We will not let our Badawiyan brothers down, and they will be grateful for that. Let DITO come. What could they do that they didn't already try? Ha, I laugh at their sad lives."

"Send a statement out to the PENB and another to all of the world, I will ask the Great Congress to ratify the embargo today. God is Great, Zafer, and he will guide us through this conflict. Have trust in him, and you will have trust in us."

The Not Federation of Democratic Regions
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Not Federation of Democratic Regions » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:24 am

Alinora wrote:
The Not Federation of Democratic Regions wrote:...

"Of course we'd be willing to sell you oil as long as you don't try to cheat us on the price. We produce over 3,000,000 barrels of crude oil a day, two thirds of which goes into exports while the remaining third is either stockpiled or used domestically. We can cut into some of our smaller deals on the condition that you agree to a long term trade deal."
Last edited by The Not Federation of Democratic Regions on Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Negara-West Hesia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Negara-West Hesia » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:56 am

"Stately Disposition"

12th July 2016

Evening. Unlike many other capitals of the world, Kota Merdeka could not boast the salt spray of the sea: the most it had was the cooling effect of the nearby artificial lake, put in place, like the rest of the city, in the latter half of the 1960s. Neat avenues of swaying trees, patches of well-maintained grass, the white stone of Modernist concrete, and at the heart of the artificial metropolis, an alabaster tower of glass and concrete nearly a hundred stories tall, visible from nearly every part of the city. The stature of the offices of the national assembly had one clear message: in this town, politics was king.

Across the broad, eight-lane street from Negara's parliament was a much smaller building; grand in its own way, but lacking either the impressive size or false historicity of the National Assembly and the Palace of Justice, those other two centres of national import in the city. The Presidential Palace had some colonial influences; Hellenic columns guarded the double front doors, and Gaullican windows afforded a scarce peek into the building within. Above a flat roof supported a single Salamic dome painted white, a feature meant more to provide space for the mezzanine at the top of the spiral staircase leading to the roof than to imply any relations to the faith. Like most of the city, however, it remained predominately a fortress of clean lines and whitewashed walls.

While the wind blew and cicadas buzzed, the oblong office of the President was a hub of activity. Behind a mahogany desk sat Yudyi Cinta, the present leader of the Negaran Republic, although it would be more accurate to say that he fumed. Opposite him were Melati Saritri, the Ketua and representative of the assembly's lawmaking coalition- and beside her, Adi Ambonta, one of the civil servants working for the Department of Foreign Affairs.

"It's a travesty. An absolute fucking travesty!" - so said the President, the veins in his neck bulging as he glares at his colleagues. "If this is about the marriage case, Saritri, you duplicitous bitch-"

"Language, please, mister President," Ambonta interjected. The civil servant was somewhere in his sixties, with an unnatural aura of calm about him; with brown eyes, and a big, almost Badawiyan hook nose, and a clean-shaven head, perhaps to hide the fact that he was balding. "There's no need for this upset."

"My own fucking congress refuses to help me protect my country!"

Saritri failed to keep her peace. "Mister President," she snapped, "The civil service and I both agreed-"

"You're in on this?!" Cinta stared, agape, at Ambonta. The clean-shaven man let out a little sigh.

"Could we explain?" he requested.

There was a brief moment of silence as Cinta seemed to wind down, the air filled with the noise of rushing secretaries and ringing telephones. "Fine," the leader of the most populous democracy in the world hissed. "Make it fast."

"Look," Saritri began again. "Mister President. We understand, of course, that the embargo is affecting us adversely. Moreover, we understand your desire to, shall we say, 'strike back' at Badawiya-"

"With good reason-" Cinta interjected.

"Yes, yes," Saritri acknowledged, dismissively. "But it's not a viable strategy."

"Well, what do you expect?" Cinta snapped, glancing between the two of them. "Do you want me to do nothing?"

"In a word, yes," Ambonta mused dryly. At that, Cinta went quiet for a moment.

"What?"

The civil servant leaned in. "Our country," he began, "Is largely dependent for its lead on Songhua manufacturing by the strength and reliability of our institutions. If we compromise that by responding on a whim to foreign opposition- then, well, the long-term consequences will be dire."

Cinta, for his part, mostly looked confused. "I don't see what this has to do with instituting sanctions on Badawiya, especially when I've got the Asterians and Gaullicans on the line asking me embargo Badawiya!"

Saritri piped up again. "So long as we stay our hand, mister President, Negara will continue to be seen as a reliable trading partner- even with your unpopular administration. That is why the lawmaking coalition won't condone any excess action in response to the embargo."

"Well, I can act outside your damn coalition," he snapped, a little less harshly than before.

"But it wouldn't be wise," Ambonta declared, palms facing the air. "May I make a suggestion, mister President?"

Cinta was reserved, now, slumped in his chair. He nodded, slowly, in defeat. "Fine."

"We can place any sanctions you might want on Fars. Their primary trading partner for manufactured goods is Songguo, anyway- it won't cost us too much, and it remains in our strategic interest to combat QTO." Ambonta smiled faintly. "Assuming that the rest of the PENB decide not to reciprocate by banning imports from Negara- doubtful, as it's not in their interest to do so- we won't lose out too much in terms of trade. If we do, then it's clearly not our fault, and the only blame the Badawiyan people can issue for any shortage of manufactured goods will be squarely at the feet of their own leaders."

"Right," Cinta mused, nodding slowly. "That way we'll put some symbolic pressure on Badawiya, too, even if we're not turning the screws."

Saritri already looked relieved; Ambonta continued. "Correct, mister President. Moreover, we can claim the moral high ground, even if our food exports to Badawiya are statistically insignificant."

Cinta sat, scratching his chin, thinking quietly.

"I don't like it," he admitted finally, looking up at his two colleagues.

"It's our best option," Saritri pointed out. "And we have only bad options."

Alinora
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:59 pm

The Not Federation of Democratic Regions wrote:"Of course we'd be willing to sell you oil as long as you don't try to cheat us on the price. We produce over 3,000,000 barrels of crude oil a day, two thirds of which goes into exports while the remaining third is either stockpiled or used domestically. We can cut into some of our smaller deals on the condition that you agree to a long term trade deal."

President White rested the telephone on his chest and sighed thankfully. "I can agree to that" he said. "At the moment, the Federation is looking to completely replace Badawiyan oil, which makes up for around 15% of our oil imports. I understand that in this situation, oil prices will remain high, and we're willing to pay that number so long as it is reasonably lower than the price on Badawiyan oil."

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:02 pm

The Federal Republic of Roeselle

Chancellor Olivier Martin
Liberty City, The Silver Coast, Roeselle

Now having declared for DITO, Roeselle was sure to be hit by embargoes by PENB oil producers, and Chancellor Martin knew that well, he didn't need that problem coming into his election campaign which would soon begin in Mid-September. So he looked over the options available to him, all PENB options were immediately off the table, leaving the only practical sources as being Blekenjegen and Svalna, and seeing as Svalna was not a nationalized oil producer, he could only direct policies to help guide oil towards his market, so making the most logical decision, the Chancellor walked into his office and got out a notepad and wrote down some details for what he would be proposing in case the conversation became prolonged.

He wrote down:

Blekenjegen Oil Proposal
-Decreased oil import tax, perhaps 5%
-Investment in the Blekenjegen industry
-A Non-Binding Mutual Trade Agreement
-A Potential Negotiation period in August
-The potential for Roeselle to begin exporting discounted firearms and military equipment to Blekenjegen
-Government Preferential treatment of Blekenjegen as an oil exporter to allow Blekenjegen oil to dominate the internal market for the duration of the embargo, and perhaps much longer

He left out the notepad in case anything would change during the conversation to come. He knew he would have to get Congress to pass a large bill regarding this if he was going to get it passed, but the Federalist-Liberal Coalition that currently dominated the country would very likely allow any bills that he personally endorsed through. So he sighed thinking about the paperwork, but was glad that it would at least come to some achievement. He readied his pen in his right hand and promptly picked up the phone and asked them to connect him to the President of Blekenjegen.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Blekenjegen
Lobbyist

Founded: May 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekenjegen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Office of the President, Øvknya-Åvblera, Blekenjegen.

The president, Nicholaus Thovgard, was not a man who was very interested in some of the responsibilities of President. Of course, he enjoyed the job but sometimes it was so demanding. Secretaries rushing around, handing him paperwork, him squinting to read all the fine-print before giving his signature...

None the less, he still continued his job. He was finally at the stage when he had the papers done and nothing to do. He stood up from his comfy office chair, made out of leather, and was looking out of one of the room's many windows when the red phone next to his desk rang. That meant one of two things. Either another nation's leader wanted to talk or a nuclear missile had just been launched heading towards Blekenjegen.

He looked at the phone, and put his sweaty hands on his cheeks, slowly dragging them down to the ground, before walking to the phone, picking it up.

"Nicholaus Thovgard, President of Blekenjegen speaking. May I ask who this is?"

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:19 pm

The Roessan Chancellor replied, he hadn't spoken much with the Blekenjegen President in the past due to them not often having to communicate, but from what he could recollect they had always been on relatively good terms, he cleared his throat and began. "This is Chancellor Olivier Martin on the line, I come to speak with you about a potential economic agreement between our two countries due to the current PENB embargoes in place, one involving your crude oil sales, if you have the time I'd like to outline a quick negotiation with you that could lead to a trade agreement. Would you be interested in indulging me?"
Hyman Minsky

Blekenjegen
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Blekenjegen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Nicholaus listened, before responding "Hmm. I see." This was the Roesellean chancellor. "I have indeed been watching the PENB oil crisis with a fair amount of worry. Gas prices have risen from $2.12 just a few weeks ago to $3.68 here. In Columbia they're beginning to pass $4.30 for regular. Our government has not planned for any new economic agreements to take place with Roeselle for the time being, so I would like it if you could elaborate further."

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Blekenjegen wrote:Nicholaus listened, before responding "Hmm. I see." This was the Roesellean chancellor. "I have indeed been watching the PENB oil crisis with a fair amount of worry. Gas prices have risen from $2.12 just a few weeks ago to $3.68 here. In Columbia they're beginning to pass $4.30 for regular. Our government has not planned for any new economic agreements to take place with Roeselle for the time being, so I would like it if you could elaborate further."

The Chancellor nodded to himself, he went on to explain, "I have been thinking about the implications of this embargo, and have found that there in it lies an opportunity. Roeselle has always charged 15-30% on oil imports, a fairly low price. However our old sources were mostly PENB member states, and as of late they have proven less than helpful. So I came to a conclusion, one that would benefit both our countries during these hard times. In what would be a non-binding trade agreement, I would have my country decrease the import taxes to 5 percent on oil coming in from Blekenjegen, the Roessan government would make investments in all major ports in Blekenjegen and would open a door towards selling firearms and other military equipment to the Republic of Blekenjegen at a discounted price, and we would give Blekenjegen preferential status for oil distribution, essentially allowing oil from your country to figuratively flood the Roessan market. In exchange for becoming our primary supplier you would undercut the current global rate and charge us 125 Asterian Dollars per barrel. In essence we would grant you near unlimited access to our crude oil market in exchange for an exclusive price. What do you think?"
Hyman Minsky

Blekenjegen
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Blekenjegen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Alouite wrote:
Blekenjegen wrote:Nicholaus listened, before responding "Hmm. I see." This was the Roesellean chancellor. "I have indeed been watching the PENB oil crisis with a fair amount of worry. Gas prices have risen from $2.12 just a few weeks ago to $3.68 here. In Columbia they're beginning to pass $4.30 for regular. Our government has not planned for any new economic agreements to take place with Roeselle for the time being, so I would like it if you could elaborate further."

The Chancellor nodded to himself, he went on to explain, "I have been thinking about the implications of this embargo, and have found that there in it lies an opportunity. Roeselle has always charged 15-30% on oil imports, a fairly low price. However our old sources were mostly PENB member states, and as of late they have proven less than helpful. So I came to a conclusion, one that would benefit both our countries during these hard times. In what would be a non-binding trade agreement, I would have my country decrease the import taxes to 5 percent on oil coming in from Blekenjegen, the Roessan government would make investments in all major ports in Blekenjegen and would open a door towards selling firearms and other military equipment to the Republic of Blekenjegen at a discounted price, and we would give Blekenjegen preferential status for oil distribution, essentially allowing oil from your country to figuratively flood the Roessan market. In exchange for becoming our primary supplier you would undercut the current global rate and charge us 125 Asterian Dollars per barrel. In essence we would grant you near unlimited access to our crude oil market in exchange for an exclusive price. What do you think?"

Nicholaus listened to the Chancellor, before responding "Chancellor, if you give me a second, let me do the conversion rates from Asterian dollar to Blekenian Savlens..." He put the phone down on his desk, before grabbing a calculator. A few seconds later, he picked the phone back up and said "Your offer is rather acceptable to me. I will need to have the Nedre Hus and Øverste Hus approve this agreement, but I doubt there will be much resistance."

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 am

Blekenjegen wrote:
Alouite wrote:

Nicholaus listened to the Chancellor, before responding "Chancellor, if you give me a second, let me do the conversion rates from Asterian dollar to Blekenian Savlens..." He put the phone down on his desk, before grabbing a calculator. A few seconds later, he picked the phone back up and said "Your offer is rather acceptable to me. I will need to have the Nedre Hus and Øverste Hus approve this agreement, but I doubt there will be much resistance."

Olivier sat back in his chair, content with their arrangement and said, "Good to hear, we can both write this agreement out and propose it to our respective legislatures. I look forward to the eventual trade agreement being put in place, and the benefits it will have for both our countries. And who knows, we could even expand our trade agreement in the future. Glad we had a chance to speak, and have a good day."
Hyman Minsky

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents