NATION

PASSWORD

ADR 20XX - Region update time calculation tool.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Zacherie
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

ADR 20XX - Region update time calculation tool.

Postby Zacherie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:48 pm

Github - Current Release - Guide

Aurum Rider wrote:The year is 20xx, everyone has access to a raiding tool that can give them update times accurate within 10 seconds, so waiting an update to raid your enemy's raid is now the only viable strategy. The R/D metagame is now completely based on pouring money into stamps and trying to convince people to endorse you instead of the other faction.

20XX is a legal update tool tool that allows for estimation of a region's update time during the update period of the game. 20XX is open source, and written in C#. Currently it only runs on Windows (As I do not own a mac, or the tools to build it for mac).

It does this by multiplying how many nations update before the region by the amount of time it takes a nation to update. For added accuracy, it calculates the variance the game adds.

When Estimated Update times hits, 20XX will shift to become an advanced region search tool.

Planned Features
  • Region search functions
Last edited by Zacherie on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
WELCOME TO THE JUNTA BABY~!
Frisbeeteria wrote:This is spam hackery.

I'm Vleerian

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:37 am

You're writing it entirely in C#? Does that not mean that it can only be used on Windows?

I take a neutral stance on all gameplay and WA affairs, but as a developer on Linux and OSX, I must speak out in favour of interoperability. Java is open for all platforms, as is C++ (though you would have to compile from source and that is annoying), Python, Ruby, etc. One of them would be a better language to run on!

Oh, and I guess for raiders, writing it in a more platform-independent language would mean you can get raiders on Linux and OSX.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:02 am

It might be possible to run it with mono on other platforms.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:19 am

Eluvatar wrote:It might be possible to run it with mono on other platforms.

Well, then I would recommend to the author that he include support for mono, given that in its current form, it is not usable by non Windows users. Naturally, I have no intention of running it... (being neutral and all) but as a developer, I think its very important to have a strong commitment to cross-platform support.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:34 am

FWIW I've not actually gotten Trawler working on Windows (yet).

Edit: Nor Mac OS X, technically, but that'd probably be easier to accomplish.
Last edited by Eluvatar on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zacherie
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zacherie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:23 am

I'm developing this as a hobby. Until someone who actually intends to use it asks me to work on cross platform support it will remain C# because it is a language I am comfortable with.

I'm Vleerian

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 am

Eluvatar wrote:FWIW I've not actually gotten Trawler working on Windows (yet).

Edit: Nor Mac OS X, technically, but that'd probably be easier to accomplish.

Zacherie wrote:I'm developing this as a hobby. Until someone who actually intends to use it asks me to work on cross platform support it will remain C# because it is a language I am comfortable with.

I'm a Java developer primarily due to the fact that being so allows for cross-platform compatibility that most people can use. Also seems like I'm the only one, except the DEAT-ed Affordess.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:31 am

I can and do do java, I just don't like it very much.

Zacherie
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zacherie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:12 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I'm a Java developer primarily due to the fact that being so allows for cross-platform compatibility that most people can use. Also seems like I'm the only one, except the DEAT-ed Affordess.

It's public open-source. If it bothers you enough, you can fork it into java, or submit a ticket. I can program cross-platform, I just saw no reason to go that extra mile when the only people using the tool use windows.

I'm Vleerian

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:07 pm

Zacherie wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I'm a Java developer primarily due to the fact that being so allows for cross-platform compatibility that most people can use. Also seems like I'm the only one, except the DEAT-ed Affordess.

It's public open-source. If it bothers you enough, you can fork it into java, or submit a ticket. I can program cross-platform, I just saw no reason to go that extra mile when the only people using the tool use windows.

Your code is clearly written and I suspect that it would not take more than an hour or two for any Java Dev to port it to Java if they really wanted it in Java.

It will be interesting to see if your release of this code results in your "dystopian" future for R/D as you predicted in the gameplay thread.

I can also write Java but have no desire to port Zacherie's code either.
Did you see a ghost?

Zacherie
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zacherie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:15 pm

Natapoc wrote:It will be interesting to see if your release of this code results in your "dystopian" future for R/D as you predicted in the gameplay thread.

I'd love that, but I doubt people trust scripts to the point of making it into a reality.

I'm Vleerian

Zacherie
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zacherie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:05 pm

I've put up an experimental build to see if the EST fix I made worked. I would appreciate if someone got back to me after the Minor update tomorrow.

Edit:
Gtk is garbage, nevermind.
Last edited by Zacherie on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I'm Vleerian

Tom Vasentius HYDRA
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tom Vasentius HYDRA » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:17 pm

I just wanted to say that this is a very good tool and I've quite enjoyed triggering with it :)
Former Director of HYDRA Command

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:13 pm

For the record, this has been independently tested on the user end with wireshark to confirm that it meets NS rate limits (Not an NS mod/admin test). The has also been peer reviewed.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Zacherie
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zacherie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:16 pm

ADR-20XX release 1.2.3
A handy bugfix. Starting the tool before the update should no longer cause issues.

https://github.com/doomjaw/ADR-20XX/releases/tag/1.2.3

A starfox themed version is now available as well.

EDIT:
https://github.com/doomjaw/ADR-20XX/releases/tag/1.2.4

Starfox theme is now cannon. 20XX generates a JSON file with every non-passworded region. A regionfinder may be in the future, but don't count on it.
Last edited by Zacherie on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Vleerian

Zacherie
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zacherie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:35 pm

I've noticed recently that 20XX is gradually becoming less and less accurate. The first time I noticed this was when CTEs were moved to the beginning of regions. It went from being accurate within 5 seconds, to being accurate maybe within 10 on a good day. Gradually, it has been getting more and more inaccurate, to the point that now during an update, times for regions estimated to update in two minutes, now can update a full five minutes later than estimated. Today, I saw a region's time drop from 1h6m47s, down to 37m25s, and I decided that 20XX's main functions had basically been nerfed to the point of redundancy.

With things being as they are, developing 20XX as a variance calculator is no longer rewarding, or fun. No matter what change I make to the tool, it can't get more accurate, and if I find a way to do it, I'm betting that a day later something will change making it even more wildly inaccurate. My point is made though. Before the site's changes made 20XX wildly inaccurate, we saw groups like Hydra command, and my own RLA taking regions with extremely tight triggers that defenders could not do anything about. This tool is my response to everyone who says predator is the only reason that raiding was prolific.

20XX will not be getting any updates.
Last edited by Zacherie on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Vleerian

Revall
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Revall » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:34 pm

Well Aurum it was a great tool and I for one thank you for making it legal, publicly available, easy to use, open source and accurate to a very reasonable degree.

Considering those pros I do wish your great work on behalf of raiders and really gameplay at large wasn't mitigated this way, especially because before this all tools were jealously guarded secrets and how transparent this entire project was from start to finish. I'm not going to lie its a little discouraging for a raider like myself who was just getting good with it but raiders are resourceful and we will prove it on field.
TRE★Noblus Maximus★TRE
Revall Au SilverStorm
Praefect of The Roman Empire
----------------------------------_________☸ Introduce A Little Chaos ☸_________----------------------------------

The artist formerly, now re-coknown as Noblephnx but don't trust anything my sig tells you ITS A BETRAYER OF EPIC PROPORTIONS!

Jakker Loves Rawr
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker Loves Rawr » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Hail Aurum. You did a great service and I thank you greatly o7

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical