NATION

PASSWORD

Esquarium Sign-Up & Map Thread [OLD | DO NOT POST]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Esquarium Sign-Up & Map Thread [OLD | DO NOT POST]

Postby Ainin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:37 am

Esquarium is a fun, active closed-world MT roleplaying and worldbuilding region.

Founded in 2011, Esquarium offers an active, engaging community, worldbuilding that is both well-developed and adaptive to new arrivals, and high-quality modern tech roleplaying. Set in a closed world and canon separate from the greater NS multiverse, we have an extensively-documented lore and roleplay opportunities open to all members, from military conflicts to diplomatic visits to location RPs to parliamentary shenanigans, and everything in between. Oh, and we have a snazzy Wikipedia-style map.

Interested? Feel free to hop on board! We are always looking for new members to help us build an interesting world. We don't expect you to be active every day and in every aspect of the region. More interested in writing IIwiki articles than character RPs? No problem. We welcome new and experienced players alike and we'd be glad to have any style of play.

Please complete the following application. You will be accepted after receiving TWO approvals. One of us will be with you shortly to approve you or offer some suggestions for revisions before accepting you. You will not be denied except in exceptional circumstances.

Approval panel: Ainin, Union of Akoren, Tuthina, Sjalhaven, Sjealand

Important notices for applicants (please read me!)
  • You may either link to a previous RP or write a paragraph or two from scratch for the RP sample. A good, professional news article is acceptable as an RP.
  • You may write about anything for your RP sample. Here's some ideas if you get stuck: Your country's generals inform you of an impending nuclear strike; An assassin strikes on the Queen's wedding day; A newspaper article about a hurricane
  • Please don't claim to be a great power from the start, and try to keep the population size reasonable. Remember that in real life, less than 6% of countries have over 100 million people and less than 12% have over 50 million people.
  • Please choose a contiguous spot over an island. If you really need to be an island, please explain why in the application.
  • We would prefer it if you placed your nation in a culturally realistic position (i.e. don't put Swedes in the middle of the African/Middle Eastern continent of Nautasia or Kenyans near the North Pole or Chinese speakers in the Nordic continent of Nordania).
  • Don't be afraid to edit your coastline to your liking. In fact, we highly encourage it!

Code: Select all
[u][b]BASIC DETAILS[/b][/u]
[b]IC name:[/b]
[b]Population:[/b]
[b]Language(s):[/b]
[b]Main culture/ethnic group:[/b]
[b]GDP per capita (USD):[/b]
[b]Capital:[/b]
[b]Government type:[/b]
[b]Nation description (at least a paragraph, please):[/b]
[b]Map claim (High-quality Imgur link of your claim):[/b]

[u][b]ADDITIONAL INFORMATION[/b][/u]
[b]What role do you envision yourself playing in international relations?:[/b]
[b]Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures:[/b]
[b]If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so?:[/b]

[u][b]OOC STUFF[/b][/u]
[b]How did you hear about Esquarium?:[/b]
[b]Other NS accounts:[/b]
[b]Roleplay sample:[/b] <-- This is not optional. Please delete this message to show that you understand this requirement. -->

[b]Anything else to add (optional):[/b]

BASIC DETAILS
IC name: Your country's official, legal name (United States of America, not USA; French Republic, not France; Republic of Poland, not Rzeczpospolita Polska)
Population: Please keep this number relatively low. The higher it is, the more likely it is that we may ask you to revise it.
Language(s): The languages natively spoken in your nation.
Main culture/ethnic group: Self-descriptive.
GDP per capita (USD): GDP per capita is, more or less, the average amount of wealth each citizen possesses. It is calculated by dividing the GDP (the total value of the economy) by the population.
Capital: Self-descriptive.
Government type: A brief summary of your government system (e.g. "Unitary semi-presidential republic," "military junta," "highly decentralized confederation")
Nation description (at least a paragraph, please): Tell us about your nation's history and how it is today.
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): Please draw ragged, realistic borders. Coastlines are rarely ever perfectly straight or curved lines.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
What role do you envision yourself playing in international relations?: Give us an idea of what to expect from your nation in RP in terms of diplomatic and military actions. Write as much or as little as you feel is necessary.
Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: Please analyze your nation's military and financial strengths and the ways by which they could potentially affect the status quo in the region. Write as much or as little as you feel is necessary.
If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so?: Self-descriptive. If you don't think that we will ask you to do this, you may skip this question.

OOC STUFF
How did you hear about Esquarium?: Self-descriptive.
Other NS accounts: Please list any other notable identity by which you have gone in the past. You may TG Ainin if you don't want to answer publicly.
Roleplay sample: Either link us to a previous RP in which you participated or write some original content (at least a paragraph). This is just so that we can gauge your commitment to Esquarium's focus on worldbuilding, storytelling and roleplaying.

Anything else to add (optional): Self-descriptive.

BASIC DETAILS
IC name: Toksanese Commonwealth
Population: 64,155,000
Language(s): Thai, ICly known as Toksanese
Main culture/ethnic group:
GDP per capita (USD): $67,458
Capital: Hwanggum
Government type: Federal parliamentary republic
Nation description (at least a paragraph, please): The Toksanese Commonwealth (เครือจักรภพ ชาวตกซ่าน; Kherụ̄xcạkrp̣hph chāw Tks̀ān), commonly known as Toksan (ตกซ่าน; Tks̀ān), is a nation located in Borea, Esquarium. Toksan shares Land Borders with Ionland, Saint Hadrian and Kaona and Naval Borders with Kulsandia. The Commonwealth exhibits a population of 64,155,000; with the nation’s capital being Hwanggum in the nation’s southern provinces.

Becoming a Dominion of Lusatia in 1875, the Christian Republic governed the nation despite considerable distance. Nonetheless, the Commonwealth Government was established in 1950, where the nation had sought Independence from Lusatia through the Commonwealth Constitution of 1950. The Commonwealth Government is considered to be a Federal Republic, with the Head of State being the Prime Minister. The Chief Justice acts as a safeguard from the Commonwealth Government's actions due to the executive being part of the Commonwealth Diet, with the Judicial Branch holding the power to veto legislation violating the Constitution.

The economy of Toksan is considered to be market-orientated, although the Commonwealth Government has taken action to slightly regulate volatile sectors. The Largest Sectors of the nation’s economy is considered to be Manufacturing and Services; with Agriculture and Tourism coming a considerable distant third and fourth. Electronics, Pharmaceuticals, Beef and Rice are considered to be the nation’s largest exports.
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): http://i.imgur.com/NSeH68H.png

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
What role do you envision yourself playing in international relations?: Toksan is a middle power with a relatively weak military with little power projection. However, it compensates for its military weakness by having a modern, service-oriented economy that extends its influence beyond its borders. Its close economic integration with other liberal democracies means that Toksanese firms are somewhat influential throughout the Free World.
Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: Toksan has a very developed and high-tech economy, amongst the strongest in the region. This could potentially come into conflict with the Tengkong economic bloc's historically dominant presence in Borea.
If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so?: I would be willing to reduce my population to compensate for my high GDP per capita, so that the overall economy doesn't totally eclipse that of my poorer, larger neighbours.

OOC STUFF
How did you hear about Esquarium?: From a friend in the NSG Senate roleplay
Other NS accounts: None
Roleplay sample:

The tension in the room was palpable.

Half an hour ago, the mood had been relaxed. The Coke was flowing, the monitors went unattended, and Colonel Connors was joking around with the techies about James' chances with the spunky new Navy liaison officer. It was just another dull day at the Air Force Air Defence Command, for nothing interesting ever happened in Tantastan's skies. It all changed when the news came: the Chief of Staff had been taken hostage. General Robinson, or as we knew him, Ian, was more than just our commander. He was our friend. With his office down the hall from the radar room, he had personally trained every man and woman of the 151st, including myself.

We silently considered the situation in disbelief, when suddenly, an alien ringing sound filled the room. Fear was struck into our hearts by the mechanical tune. It was the red telephone, the emergency line that sat in the corner of the room collecting dust. James had the bad luck of sitting next to it, and picked up the handset with an audible gulp. He listened quietly to the caller, his facial expressions increasingly showing terror and immense sadness. When the call was over, he barely had enough strength to hang up. His arm shook as he reached for the End button. He took a deep breath and turned around, looking at each and every one of us in the eye. "That was Fighter Command. Ian was taken by the gunmen onto a... onto a plane. They're airborne and heading south. They'll be over the city in 10 minutes."

The constant tack-tack-tack of keyboards in the computer-filled room abruptly stopped. Everyone dropped what they were doing and thirty shocked heads jerked towards an increasingly despondent James. He continued.

"T-two fighters are trailing the plane. The civvies at Approach Control say the pilot is despondent." He paused to recompose himself. "That plane is a missile, and it's headed for downtown."
"What do they need from us?" asked the Colonel, speaking slowly to avoid betraying the incredible despair he felt.
"Our fighters have a radar lock on the jet. They need clearance to shoot."

A sigh echoed through the silent room. Not a sigh of relief but a sigh of sorrow. We knew what needed to happen. First seconds, then minutes passed, and we powerlessly watched three dots move across the map on our monitors, getting ever-closer to the city. Another phone call came through just as I was going to refresh the map for the umpteenth time. Once again, James had to pick up. He ended the call even sadder than he was before, and he stared at the Colonel for several seconds before speaking. "They need the decision, they need it now, Sir."

"Take it down."

Anything else to add (optional):

Code: Select all
[u][b]BASIC INFORMATION[/b][/u]
[b]This is a request for:[/b] [ ] Territorial expansion | [ ] Population expansion | [ ] GDP expansion | [ ] Nuclear weapons
[b]Describe the requested increase in detail:[/b]
[b]New map claim (image URL, skip if N/A):[/b]

[u][b]ADDITIONAL DETAILS[/b][/u]
[b]Why is this stat increase necessary?[/b]
[b]What impact will this increase have on your IC nation's strength?[/b]
[b]How will this stat increase contribute to your roleplaying and worldbuilding?[/b]

[u][b]CRITICAL DISCUSSION[/b][/u]
[b]List at least two other ways that the desired IC benefit can be achieved:[/b]
[b]Critically discuss how will this stat increase may affect other nations or regional geopolitics:[/b]
[b]How have you contributed towards furthering the roleplaying and worldbuilding community of the region during your presence so far?[/b]

I acknowledge that any acceptance is conditional on the increase having productive roleplaying utility to the region as a whole, and that it may be rescinded at any time if it becomes derelict or conducive towards powergaming.

Your stats increase will be approved upon the agreement of two individuals responsible for accepting applications.
Last edited by Ainin on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 am, edited 53 times in total.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Seukutan
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seukutan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:12 am

Short IC name: Seukutan
Long IC name: The Republic of Seukutan
Population: 36,649,670
Capital: Haraan
Government type: Parliamentary Republic
Factbook (IIwiki preferred): LINK
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): LINK
Main NS account (if not the one you are applying with): Belfras

Francilie
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Francilie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:38 am

Short IC name: Francilie
Long IC name: The Union of Francilie, Aut, Armorica, Cislecia and Fiennia
Population: 77,567,409 (subject to change)
Capital: Pontnouveau
Government type: Semi-Presidential Federal Republic with an Unicameral Parliament
Factbook: http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Francilie
(New) map claim: http://i.imgur.com/PCfII9t.png http://iiwiki.com/images/2/23/Franciliemap.png
Main NS account: Obviously this one
Anything else to add (optional): Please also change the name of Grand-Océan to Fiennia. Thanks in advance.
Esquarium's favourite French-speaking federal republic gone far-right once

I'm neither a rightist, a centrist nor a leftist; I think all of them have good and bad ideas.

Thietsch
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Thietsch » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:01 am

Short IC name: Thietsch
Long IC name:Kingdom of Thietsch
Population: 7,680,780
Capital: Sench Frederico
Government type:Federal Parliamentary Constitutional monarchy
Factbook (IIwiki preferred): It will be moved to a main article soon
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): Next to Sjal's Red Blob
Main NS account (if not the one you are applying with): Baiwa
Anything else to add (optional): I want someone to help me with that map claim fam
Last edited by Thietsch on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vermonse
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vermonse » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:10 am

Short IC name: Vermonse
Long IC name: Province of Vermonse
Population: 5,873,852
Capital: Piatborgu
Government type: Federal presidential diarchic republic
Factbook (IIwiki preferred): iiwiki
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): Image and svg file
Main NS account (if not the one you are applying with): Sjalhaven

Senterland
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Senterland » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:11 am

Short IC name: Senterland
Long IC name: The Republic of Senterland
Population: 8,586,289
Capital: Airyassia
Government type: Semi-Presidental Republic
Factbook (IIwiki preferred): http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Senterland
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): http://imgur.com/exouGip
Anything else to add (optional): I like goats.

Qinming
Civilian

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Qinming » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Short IC name: Qinming
Long IC name: Republic of Qinming
Population: 30,530,053
Capital: Guoghang FD
Government type: Unitary parliamentary republic
Factbook (IIwiki preferred): http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Qinming **Still fleshing out**
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): http://i.imgur.com/MRCanjY.png
Main NS account (if not the one you are applying with): Qinming
Anything else to add (optional): This is mainly a map claim but please add me to the mastertable if I haven't been already.

Kihma
Lobbyist

Founded: May 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kihma » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Short IC name: Kihma
Long IC name: Republic of Kihma
Population: 15,252,019
Capital: Hatam
Government type: Semi-Presidential Republic
Factbook (IIwiki preferred):
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): http://imgur.com/CpyNl4Z
Main NS account (if not the one you are applying with): This one
Anything else to add (optional): I currently don't have a IIwiki account for my nation, this is mostly for me to sign up and make a map claim in green. I don't think I would have time to edit on the IIwiki at the moment
Last edited by Kihma on Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Masseau
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Masseau » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Kihma wrote:Population: 47,252,019

You'll probably want to lower this by at least 10-15 million seeing as you have not begun work on an iiwiki page yet.
President: Xavier Vargas
Gov't type: Semi-presidential republic (We call it Democratic Republic here in Masseau)
RP Population: 58,877,723
Capital
: Cahokia
Left:-4.12
Libertarian: -1.38

Kihma
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kihma » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Masseau wrote:
Kihma wrote:Population: 47,252,019

You'll probably want to lower this by at least 10-15 million seeing as you have not begun work on an iiwiki page yet.

It's fixed now.

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:34 pm

Kihma wrote:Short IC name: Kihma
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): https://imgur.com/Q14MX5N
Anything else to add (optional): I currently don't have a IIwiki account for my nation, this is mostly for me to sign up and make a map claim in green. I don't think I would have time to edit on the IIwiki at the moment

I'm not sure if it's stil counted, but there was a map claim at that spot a week ago on our old system.
President Emmanuel Carvallo
1st President of the Senate of Fernão (2017-2017)
Chief Whip of the Civic Union

Patricio Magrina
Nominee for Secretary of Health and Labour
Member of the Events Committee

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.51

Liberal Conservative Roman Catholic.
Member of the Liberal National Party of Queensland (LNP)
Supporter of the Coalition (Australia).

Kihma
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kihma » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Freyhill wrote:
Kihma wrote:Short IC name: Kihma
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): https://imgur.com/Q14MX5N

I'm not sure if it's stil counted, but there was a map claim at that spot a week ago on our old system.

Oh... so is there an updated version of that map? Should I delete that claim?

Masseau
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Masseau » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Kihma wrote:Oh... so is there an updated version of that map? Should I delete that claim?

You should probably change your claim
President: Xavier Vargas
Gov't type: Semi-presidential republic (We call it Democratic Republic here in Masseau)
RP Population: 58,877,723
Capital
: Cahokia
Left:-4.12
Libertarian: -1.38

Kihma
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kihma » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Masseau wrote:
Kihma wrote:Oh... so is there an updated version of that map? Should I delete that claim?

You should probably change your claim

Okay fixed again. I hope this isn't claimed yet. http://imgur.com/CpyNl4Z

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Kihma wrote:
Freyhill wrote:

Oh... so is there an updated version of that map? Should I delete that claim?

Qinming has changed their map claim to under Namor. If you want to have a similar location I suggest trying to claim that area.

Patricio Magrina

Political Compass:

Sanakht
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanakht » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Short IC name: Sanakht
Long IC name: Holy Kingdom of Sanakht
Population: 4,309,200
Capital: Akhetaten
Government type: Absolute monarchy
Factbook (IIwiki preferred): Don't have one, but I could create one within a few hours if you all would like.
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): http://i.imgur.com/oLZBTjE.png
Main NS account (if not the one you are applying with): Panoa
Anything else to add (optional): Sanakht will be like ancient Egypt. If you all would like to know more, I'd be happy to explain.
Last edited by Sanakht on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Sanakht wrote:Short IC name: Sanakht
Factbook (IIwiki preferred): Don't have one, but I could create one within a few hours if you all would like.
Anything else to add (optional): Sanakht will be like ancient Egypt. If you all would like to know more, I'd be happy to explain.

What would it be like technologically? Would it be like modern tech or will it use the same tech as Ancient Egypt?
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Sanakht
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanakht » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:38 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Sanakht wrote:Short IC name: Sanakht

What would it be like technologically? Would it be like modern tech or will it use the same tech as Ancient Egypt?

I was thinking the same tech as Ancient Egypt.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Sanakht wrote:
Luziyca wrote:What would it be like technologically? Would it be like modern tech or will it use the same tech as Ancient Egypt?

I was thinking the same tech as Ancient Egypt.

...that might be a bit of a problem, since Esquarium uses modern technology (as can be stated on both the title, and the first sentence, where it mentions how we are MT).
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Sanakht
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanakht » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Sanakht wrote:I was thinking the same tech as Ancient Egypt.

...that might be a bit of a problem, since Esquarium uses modern technology (as can be stated on both the title, and the first sentence, where it mentions how we are MT).

I know, I saw that. I could just use modern tech.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Sanakht wrote:
Luziyca wrote:...that might be a bit of a problem, since Esquarium uses modern technology (as can be stated on both the title, and the first sentence, where it mentions how we are MT).

I know, I saw that. I could just use modern tech.

Well, you pretty much have to use modern technology if you want to participate fully in this region. If you try and use ancient Egyptian tech against someone with modern technology... at best, you'd be mocked, and at worst, you'd be ripe and easy pickings for stronger powers.

Sanakht
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanakht » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Sanakht wrote:I know, I saw that. I could just use modern tech.

Well, you pretty much have to use modern technology if you want to participate fully in this region. If you try and use ancient Egyptian tech against someone with modern technology... at best, you'd be mocked, and at worst, you'd be ripe and easy pickings for stronger powers.

I know. I've thought about that. Again, I'll use modern technology.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:51 pm

Sanakht wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Well, you pretty much have to use modern technology if you want to participate fully in this region. If you try and use ancient Egyptian tech against someone with modern technology... at best, you'd be mocked, and at worst, you'd be ripe and easy pickings for stronger powers.

I know. I've thought about that. Again, I'll use modern technology.

Okay then. :)

Ohakune
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Ohakune » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Short IC name: Ōhākune
Long IC name: Kingdom of Ōhākune
Population: 2,653,400
Capital: Ihumātao
Government type: Constitutional monarchy in which the monarch exercises power.
Factbook (IIwiki preferred): I haven't started on one yet but will do shortly.
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): Unsure.
Main NS account (if not the one you are applying with): This one.
Anything else to add (optional): I may unexpectedly go inactive for timespan of 3-5 days.

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:51 pm

Ohakune wrote:Short IC name: Ōhākune
Long IC name: Kingdom of Ōhākune
Population: 2,653,400
Capital: Ihumātao
Government type: Constitutional monarchy in which the monarch exercises power.
Factbook (IIwiki preferred): I haven't started on one yet but will do shortly.
Map claim (Imgur link preferred): Unsure.
Main NS account (if not the one you are applying with): This one.
Anything else to add (optional): I may unexpectedly go inactive for timespan of 3-5 days.

What is your nation like? I'll be able to help you pick a spot for your map claim after that information is complete.

Patricio Magrina

Political Compass:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information