NATION

PASSWORD

Reactionary Outbursts And Bigotry

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Aelex wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Is the culture across France entirely the same? No it isn't. Same for Italy, Spain, Great Britain, etc. America does have an overarching identity however.

France is actually a bad exemple. One century of Hussard Noirs erased the regional differences way more efficiently than any ethnic cleansing could have ever done.
The last thing remaining is accent, and even so, apart from the Marseillais that is still obvious, they almost all disappeared.

I liked the Occitans. They were a bit weird but interesting people. People there are still buttmad over the teachers. It was a real shame.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Aelex wrote:France is actually a bad exemple. One century of Hussard Noirs erased the regional differences way more efficiently than any ethnic cleansing could have ever done.
The last thing remaining is accent, and even so, apart from the Marseillais that is still obvious, they almost all disappeared.

And yet there are still regional differences.

Not really man. The only real differences I found were in Alsace. The French are very good at... "unifying".
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Neutraligon wrote:And yet there are still regional differences.

No, you don't understand, France won! France always wins! That's why the Académie française has been so successful in stopping Anglicisms from entering the French language!
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:01 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:No, you don't understand, France won! France always wins! That's why the Académie française has been so successful in stopping Anglicisms from entering the French language!

Hé, we gave you 45% of your vocabulary; we can at least take some of it back! :p
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:01 pm

Aelex wrote:Hé, we gave you 45% of your vocabulary; we can at least take some of it back! :p

Gave? We totally stole most of it. ;)
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:03 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:And yet there are still regional differences.

No, you don't understand, France won! France always wins! That's why the Académie française has been so successful in stopping Anglicisms from entering the French language!

Our dreaded "e-mail" was stopped by those monsters. We were so close to corrupting them.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:05 pm

The East Marches wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
And yet there are still regional differences.

Not really man. The only real differences I found were in Alsace. The French are very good at... "unifying".

So there is no difference between say Paris, and other cities around France, that is not what I have seen.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Neutraligon wrote:So there is no difference between say Paris, and other cities around France, that is not what I have seen.

No, actually. If you compare Paris to the second biggest city that's to say Lyon, you will find little difference apart from some words that remained from the Patois in French (if you ever watched the very good tv series Kaamelot, you may actually know a good lot of them) and a small accent (we prononce cahier as cahiè rather than cahié).
Same go with the other smaller ones.
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:13 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The East Marches wrote:

So there is no difference between say Paris, and other cities around France, that is not what I have seen.

You are aware that France used to be populated by little regional languages?

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:17 pm

The East Marches wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

You are aware that France used to be populated by little regional languages?

Yes.
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Aelex wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:So there is no difference between say Paris, and other cities around France, that is not what I have seen.

No, actually. If you compare Paris to the second biggest city that's to say Lyon, you will find little difference apart from some words that remained from the Patois in French (if you ever watched the very good tv series Kaamelot, you may actually know a good lot of them) and a small accent (we prononce cahier as cahiè rather than cahié).

Funny, most people say differently. That Paris is very different from other areas of France.
Just A Little though

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Aelex wrote:No, actually. If you compare Paris to the second biggest city that's to say Lyon, you will find little difference apart from some words that remained from the Patois in French (if you ever watched the very good tv series Kaamelot, you may actually know a good lot of them) and a small accent (we prononce cahier as cahiè rather than cahié).

Funny, most people say differently. That Paris is very different from other areas of France.

Inb4 [Insert joke about Algerians here]
Last edited by The East Marches on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Funny, most people say differently. That Paris is very different from other areas of France.

Well it is in someway. People are way more prickish and haughty, there. The common stereotype people abroad have about French is mostly based on Parisians' behavior alone, and most of us "provinciaux" can't stand them either.
Apart from this difference in attitude, there isn't any cultural one; however.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Aelex wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Funny, most people say differently. That Paris is very different from other areas of France.

Well it is in someway. People are way more prickish and haughty, there. The common stereotype people abroad have about French is mostly based on Parisians' behavior alone, and most of us "provinciaux" can't stand them either.
Apart from this difference in attitude, there isn't any cultural one; however.

As I said people have said that there are major cultural differences between Paris and other places. Attitude is just a part of it.
Just A Little though

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Neutraligon wrote:As I said people have said that there are major cultural differences between Paris and other places. Attitude is just a part of it.

Could you maybe be a little more precise on what are those differences exactly and elaborate some more?
Because don't take it bad but if you are trying to deny what a frenchman is telling about his own culture, you may need to have something a little less vague than "some people told me so".

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Aelex wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:As I said people have said that there are major cultural differences between Paris and other places. Attitude is just a part of it.

Could you maybe be a little more precise on what are those differences exactly and elaborate some more?
Because don't take it bad but if you are trying to deny what a frenchman is telling about his own culture, you may need to have something a little less vague than "some people told me so".

For one thing Paris tends to have a lot of foreigners, which I would think affect the culture. There is of course the fact that as a city Paris would be different from say a rural part of France.
Just A Little though

Yorkers
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Leftists pushed too hard and made a bunch of people radically opposed to them. Reap what you sow.
"Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs."
-John Jay, 1787

Dancing in the moonlight.
I wish that every kiss was never-ending.

An alternate history epic.

sa-wish!

Yorkers is a wealthy WASP playground inspired by L.L. Bean and Vineyard Vines catalogs and 19th Century Anglo-American nativism.

Quokkastan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Quokkastan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Yorkers wrote:Leftists pushed too hard and made a bunch of people radically opposed to them. Reap what you sow.

And now that bunch of people is making sure that absolutely every sensible person in the world hates them.

So a win for leftists, I guess.
Give us this day our daily thread.
And forgive us our flames, as we forgive those who flame against us.
And lead us not into trolling, but deliver us from spambots.
For thine is the website, and the novels, and the glory. Forever and ever.
In Violent's name we pray. Submit.

Yorkers
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:25 pm

Quokkastan wrote:
Yorkers wrote:Leftists pushed too hard and made a bunch of people radically opposed to them. Reap what you sow.

And now that bunch of people is making sure that absolutely every sensible person in the world hates them.

The leftists are the ones making everybody hate them.
"Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs."
-John Jay, 1787

sa-wish!

Yorkers is a wealthy WASP playground inspired by L.L. Bean and Vineyard Vines catalogs and 19th Century Anglo-American nativism.

Waldriech
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Waldriech » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Racism? Please it's 2016. Homophobia? No, people like me just agree that the homo and heshe fools are immoral psychos who are hijacking our culture.
Last edited by Waldriech on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a, Catholic, Anarcho-Capitalist from Arkansas.

Pro: Free-Market, Property Rights, Gun Rights, Weed Legalization, Public Service Privatization, Trump, Rand and Ron Paul, GOP, Free Speech, Religious Freedom, Catholic Teachings, Non-Aggression Principle, Natural Law, General Pinochet.

Anti: Communism, Democrats, ISIS, Terrorism, SJWs, Gay Pride.

Quokkastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quokkastan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:30 pm

Yorkers wrote:
Quokkastan wrote:And now that bunch of people is making sure that absolutely every sensible person in the world hates them.

Waldriech wrote:Racism? Please is 2016. Homophobia? No, people like me just agree that the homo fools are immoral psychos.

I win.

Yorkers
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:34 pm

Quokkastan wrote:
Yorkers wrote:

Waldriech wrote:Racism? Please is 2016. Homophobia? No, people like me just agree that the homo fools are immoral psychos.

I win.

Clearly. :eyebrow:

The current political trends indicate otherwise. It's best not to ignore the future. The culture is going to change. Trump is going to win and the far-right will sweep Europe, and the SJW-tier leftists will probably have to live in fear. Perhaps we'll give them some retribution. Maybe publicly harass them? Maybe make them unemployable by destroying their reputations? Get them fired from their jobs? Call them privileged even though we are deliberately attacking them?

Oh, it's going to be fun. :twisted:
-John Jay, 1787

sa-wish!

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Yorkers wrote:
Quokkastan wrote:

I win.

The current political trends indicate otherwise. It's best not to ignore the future. The culture is going to change. Trump is going to win and the far-right will sweep Europe, and the SJW-tier leftists will probably have to live in fear. Perhaps we'll give them some retribution. Maybe publicly harass them? Maybe make them unemployable by destroying their reputations? Get them fired from their jobs? Call them privileged even though we are deliberately attacking them?

Just cut out the middle man and give them the deathblow. Ignore them.
Unreachable.

Quokkastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quokkastan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:37 pm

Yorkers wrote:
Quokkastan wrote:

I win.

Well I don't want to diminish from the sexual glee you derive from your authoritarian fantasies, so I'm going to neglect to comment on that.

Yorkers
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Quokkastan wrote:
Yorkers wrote:

Well I don't want to diminish from the sexual glee you derive from your authoritarian fantasies, so I'm going to neglect to comment on that.

What? Can SJWs not handle a taste of their own medicine?
-John Jay, 1787

sa-wish!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General