NATION

PASSWORD

[Accepted]Voting for Opposition

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

[Accepted]Voting for Opposition

Postby Drasnia » Tue May 10, 2016 12:05 pm

Name: Voting for Opposition (I don't like this. Suggestions?)

Description: In the most recent election cycle, several local positions, including the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@, lacked multiple candidates for positions - and in two cases, no candidates - on the ballot. Citizens from all across @@NAME@@ have filled your office demanding change.

Validity: Nations with democratic elections and high political apathy.

Options

[option]"I'm disappointed that people don't participate in government!" @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ shouts while trying to elbow his way to the front of your desk. "I can't practice my democracy if I don't have a choice to make! Here's my solution: government positions should not be filled unless there are multiple candidates. Oh and if you could funnel some funding towards public education so kids understand why democracy is so important, that'd be great."
[effect]election ballots often stretch past five meters with candidate names.
[stats]intentionally left blank

[option]A retinue of burly guards clear out all the citizens from your office. The mayor-elect of @@CAPITAL@@ walks in. "The fact that I have won the last 5 elections because I was the only candidate, means nothing; I still won all my elections fair and square. As a matter of fact, this shows only few people, like myself, care about this country, and that's the most important part, don't you think? Don't fix the system, @@LEADER@@, because the system isn't broken. It ought to be left in the hands of people like ourselves who know how to get things done.
[effect]reruns of old sitcoms broadcast over political debates.

[option]"Nobody wants to run for office because nobody wants to be in the government," your mother says during your weekly dinner with her. "Just think. When was the last time someone ran against you? When I was raising you and your brother, I'd settle who got to play with the action figures by drawing sticks, and I think we can use the same approach. People from all over @@NAME@@ would be chosen at random to fill a government office for a couple years. They wouldn't like it, so they would reduce the overall power of the government. Plus it would root out most of the corrupt, career politicians since they couldn't run for office anymore. Sure, these people aren't as qualified, but fair's fair, right?"
[effect]unlucky citizens become politicians.

[option]"Look at this cat video!" @@RANDOMNAME@@ proclaims, trying to hand you a smart phone. "Isn't it so cute? Way cuter than any of those politicians I was supposed to vote for today. It would be so much easier for me if I didn't have to worry about voting. With all that time I would save, I could start a vlog!"
[effect]the only things citizens vote on is what should be considered the best viral video.

Name: Voting for Opposition (I don't like this. Suggestions?)

Description: In the most recent election cycle, several local positions, including the mayor of @@CAPITAL@@, lacked multiple candidates for positions - and in two cases, no candidates - on the ballot. Citizens from all across @@NAME@@ have filled your office demanding change.

Validity: Nations with democratic elections

Options

[option]"I'm disappointed that people don't participate in government!" @@MALE-RANDOMNAME@@ shouts while trying to elbow his way to the front of your desk. "I can't practice my democracy if I don't have a choice to make! Here's my solution: government positions should not be filled unless there are multiple candidates. Oh and if you could funnel some funding towards public education so kids understand why democracy is so important, that'd be great."

[option]A retinue of burly guards clear out all the citizens from your office. The mayor-elect of @@CAPITAL@@ walks in. "I won my election fair and square." He says. "Nobody opposing me isn't a bad thing; it just demonstrates how few people actually care about how this great nation is run. Only those that run for office, like myself, care about this country. Don't fix the system, @@LEADER@@, because the system isn't broken. It ought to be left in the hands of people like ourselves who know how to get things done.
[effect]reruns of old sitcoms broadcast over political debates.

[option]"Nobody wants to run for office because nobody wants to be in the government," your mother says during your weekly dinner with her. "Just think. When was the last time someone ran against you? When I was raising you and your brother, I'd settle who got to play with the action figures by drawing sticks, and I think we can use the same approach. People from all over @@NAME@@ would be chosen at random to fill a government office for a couple years. They wouldn't like it, so they would reduce the overall power of the government. Plus it would root out most of the corrupt, career politicians since they couldn't run for office anymore. Sure, these people aren't as qualified, but fair's fair, right?"
[effect]unlucky citizens become politicians.
Last edited by Drasnia on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
See You Space Cowboy...

A Humanist Science
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Science » Tue May 10, 2016 12:16 pm

Perhaps add "high political apathy" to the validity requirements. The issue options seem to suggest such would be the case anyway.

The-CID
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 02, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The-CID » Tue May 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Some suggestions:

- I will combine Options 1 and 3:
[option]"I'm disappointed that people don't participate in government!" shouts @@MALE-RANDOMNAME@@ while trying to elbow his way to the front of your desk. "I can't practice my democracy if I don't have a choice to make! Here's my solution: chose people at random to take part at the election and fill a government office for a couple years. They wouldn't like it, so they would reduce the overall power of the government. Plus it would root out most of the corrupt, career politicians since they couldn't run for office anymore. Sure, these people aren't as qualified, but fair's fair, right?"

- And I will work in the effect:
[effect]people are leaving the country as they are chosen to take part in elections

- A tweak to option 2:
[option]A retinue of burly guards clear out all the citizens from your office. The mayor-elect of @@CAPITAL@@ walks in. He says. "The fact that I have won the last 5 elections because I was the only candidate, means nothing: I still won all my elections fair and square. As a matter of fact, this shows only few people, like myself, care about this country. Don't fix the system, @@LEADER@@, because the system isn't broken. It ought to be left in the hands of people like ourselves who know how to get things done.

- I will write a new Option 3: perhaps, since no one wants to be a candidate, you can just avoid the elections.
The CID
Founder of Capitalist Paradise

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Tue May 10, 2016 5:05 pm

I concur with The-CID, make an option that rids the nation of elections altogether.

[option]"You know what would solve this issue entirely?" @@FEMALE-RANDOMNAME@@, an aide whispers from underneath your desk, "You could end elections entirely. Some people may not like it, but most won't care because it's essentially the same."
[effect]Most people are too apathetic to care about electoral rights being snuffed out.
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu May 12, 2016 8:38 am

Any more opinions before I update this?
See You Space Cowboy...

Evilcia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Evilcia » Thu May 12, 2016 9:30 am

And where is the dictatorship option, people don't want to run as candidate, then abolish the election and become a dictator...

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu May 12, 2016 11:23 am

I guess everybody wants the dictator option. How cliched. Oh well, I guess I'll work on that.
See You Space Cowboy...

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu May 12, 2016 10:15 pm

I wrote a new option to abolish all elections. I did, however, keep the other three as I think they present interesting and necessary points of view. Any suggestions?
See You Space Cowboy...

The-CID
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 02, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The-CID » Sun May 15, 2016 4:17 pm

In order to make Option #3 funnier, you might want to consider linking the peopleĀ“s ID with Lottery tickets (inside the option or as an effect).

In Option #4, you can add something like "It would be so much easier for me if I didn't have to worry about voting. Forget all that separation of powers absurd theory; I am sure you, almighty @@LEADER@@, can handle all positions by yourself.With all that time I would save, I could start a vlog!"

You can also add a new option to privatize some Government positions.

PS: After each [effect], you must add an space before starting a sentence and remove the period at the end

For example, you must change this:
into this:
[effect] election ballots often stretch past five meters with candidate names
The CID
Founder of Capitalist Paradise

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun May 15, 2016 5:09 pm

The-CID wrote:In order to make Option #3 funnier, you might want to consider linking the peopleĀ“s ID with Lottery tickets (inside the option or as an effect).
I'll consider it.

The-CID wrote:In Option #4, you can add something like "It would be so much easier for me if I didn't have to worry about voting. Forget all that separation of powers absurd theory; I am sure you, almighty @@LEADER@@, can handle all positions by yourself.With all that time I would save, I could start a vlog!"
That doesn't sound like something the character would say.

The-CID wrote:You can also add a new option to privatize some Government positions.
I don't think the circumstances would justify this option, plus I'm good with the number of options anyways.
See You Space Cowboy...

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?