NATION

PASSWORD

Egypt Gives Saudi Arabia 2 Islands in a Show of Gratitude

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Founded: May 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Egypt Gives Saudi Arabia 2 Islands in a Show of Gratitude

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:24 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/11/world ... ebook&_r=0

New York Times wrote:Since King Salman of Saudi Arabia arrived in Cairo on Thursday for a five-day visit, the leader of the oil-rich kingdom has lavished his Egyptian allies with promises of aid and investment. But this time, instead of writing a blank check with little more than a polite “thank you” to show for it, King Salman will return home Monday with something more substantial in return: two islands in a strategic corner of the Red Sea.

Oh, boy, am I glad the West supported the overthrown of Morsi! He was too pro-Saudi Arabia, amirite? Thank goodnees were're rid of him and his MUSLIM™ Brotherhood! I'm also glad that we're going back to the 19th century where sovereign territory is traded away like real estate. Anyway, needless to say, the backlash has been enormous, even in a country with virtually no free press. But, most importantly, what do you say, NSG? Does this set a kind of shitty precedent ("gives us territory and we'll invest in your country")? Should Saudi Arabia get those islands? Is this thread going to have a lot of shitty, uninformed comments about how evil the Muslim Brotherhood is? Comment below.
— What do you mean you don't like the Khmer Rouge?

☭ THIS MACHINE TRIGGERS FASCISTS ☭

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:34 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/11/world/middleeast/egypt-gives-saudi-arabia-2-islands-in-a-show-of-gratitude.html?mwrsm=Facebook&_r=0

New York Times wrote:Since King Salman of Saudi Arabia arrived in Cairo on Thursday for a five-day visit, the leader of the oil-rich kingdom has lavished his Egyptian allies with promises of aid and investment. But this time, instead of writing a blank check with little more than a polite “thank you” to show for it, King Salman will return home Monday with something more substantial in return: two islands in a strategic corner of the Red Sea.

Oh, boy, am I glad the West supported the overthrown of Morsi! He was too pro-Saudi Arabia, amirite? Thank goodnees were're rid of him and his MUSLIM™ Brotherhood! I'm also glad that we're going back to the 19th century where sovereign territory is traded away like real estate. Anyway, needless to say, the backlash has been enormous, even in a country with virtually no free press. But, most importantly, what do you say, NSG? Does this set a kind of shitty precedent ("gives us territory and we'll invest in your country")? Should Saudi Arabia get those islands? Is this thread going to have a lot of shitty, uninformed comments about how evil the Muslim Brotherhood is? Comment below.

The usual Saudi gesture of smiling and nodding all the while hiding a dagger behind their back. I just hope Egypt doesn't turn into a second Pakistan. The world needs less Saudi puppet States, not more.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Does this set a kind of shitty precedent

Most Arab Spring related events have set shitty precedents, I fear. This won't help, to be sure.

Should Saudi Arabia get those islands?

Saudi Arabia practically owns Egypt now (that budget deficit doesn't pay itself), so *shrugs and becomes more cynical*

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:Is this thread going to have a lot of shitty, uninformed comments about how evil the Muslim Brotherhood is? Comment below.

Well, I've no love for the Muslim Brotherhood or Sisi. If I genuinely had to choose my poison, I would have gone with Mubarak.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:39 pm

While Saudi Arabia gets islands, the family of a British shopkeeper gets their loved one in a coffin.

What does this have to do with Saudi Arabia?

Well, who is the one who funds mosques in Pakistan, with a known track history of "y'all better hate these groups or else"?

Who inflames anti-Ahmadiyya tendencies in Pakistan?

Who preaches literal wars against infidels in British mosques.

I know, I sound like I'm spewing "The Eternal Saudi" at this point, but it is what it is. Egypt is just enabling Saudi Arabia, giving them a means to "invest" (i.e. fund radical Islam) in Egypt.

Also, you have el-Sisi hating on the MB because they're Islamists.

But then you have him giving away islands to the biggest Islamists of the region.

To top it off? Watch as the Saudis give some funding to Wahhabi/Salafi preachers in Egypt just to stick it to el-Sisi.

The only thing Egypt should give the Saudis is to tell them to sod off.
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Ashworth-Attwater wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/11/world/middleeast/egypt-gives-saudi-arabia-2-islands-in-a-show-of-gratitude.html?mwrsm=Facebook&_r=0

The usual Saudi gesture of smiling and nodding all the while hiding a dagger behind their back. I just hope Egypt doesn't turn into a second Pakistan. The world needs less Saudi puppet States, not more.

Sanc, if it were possible, the entire region would consist of other Pakistans. That's the Saudi dream.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:44 pm

"Uninformed comments about how evil the Muslim Brotherhood is"

If you're okay with death for apostasy, holding women responsible for their own rape, killing people for "sexual ddegeneracy", I guess there wasn't any problem with them being there.

Egypt is appeasing Saudi Arabia. Which is pretty bad. But they're cracking down on their ideology and the ideology of the Muslim Brotherhood too.
Last edited by Jochistan on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your friendly neighborhood Steppe Republic.
I was a wimp before Nationstates, now I'm a jerk and everybody loves me.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.
Genghis did nothing wrong

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:

Sanc, if it were possible, the entire region would consist of other Pakistans. That's the Saudi dream.

They've already got the UAE and Qatar by their balls, and the Bahraini government too. Until recently they had Yemen's government, and they've weaved their way into much of Europe's Muslim population (although I'm hoping the non-Salafi refugee influx will dilute that problem). I'm afraid the dream is very much turning into a reality.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:46 pm

Could they at least have given Sinai (or rather, part of it) to the Saudis? Egypt has proven spectacularly crap at fighting IS there, and if the Saudis want land, they should at least work for it.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Great Feng
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:48 pm

I like empires....
But not Saudi Arabia.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Jochistan wrote:"Uninformed comments about how evil the Muslim Brotherhood is"

If you're okay with death for apostasy, holding women responsible for their own rape, killing people for "sexual ddegeneracy", I guess there wasn't any problem with them being there.

El Sisi did good in dealing with them, but then had to ruin that by dealing with the Saudis.

Azurand
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Azurand » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Jochistan wrote:"Uninformed comments about how evil the Muslim Brotherhood is"

El Sisi did good in dealing with them, but then had to ruin that by dealing with the Saudis.

Not to mention embracing unnecessary authoritarian measures and basically only putting a lip service to the Copts.
PAIN - PAIX - LIBERTÉ

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Azurand wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:El Sisi did good in dealing with them, but then had to ruin that by dealing with the Saudis.

Not to mention embracing unnecessary authoritarian measures and basically only putting a lip service to the Copts.

Exactly.

El-Sisi had one job, and here he goes off on silly diversions.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Seems everyone skipped the part about those islands belonging once to Arabia. They handed them over to Egypt for safe keeping in 1950.

In the end, Egypt is making a smart economic move. They are giving up two rocks and getting a 32Km. (20 mile) bridge that is going to be built between Arabia and Egypt via Tiran island. Arabian money will help develop Sinai. Seems Egypt wants to repopulate the Sinai. But no one is going to move there unless there is work and infrastructure.

Read this on that bridge - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi%E2% ... t_Causeway
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Rio Cana wrote:Seems everyone skipped the part about those islands belonging once to Arabia. They handed them over to Egypt for safe keeping in 1950.

In the end, Egypt is making a smart economic move. They are giving up two rocks and getting a 32Km. (20 mile) bridge that is going to be built between Arabia and Egypt via Tiran island. Arabian money will help develop Sinai. Seems Egypt wants to repopulate the Sinai. But no one is going to move there unless there is work and infrastructure.

Read this on that bridge - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi%E2% ... t_Causeway

Oh, I knew about this, don't get me wrong. But it's still unfortunate they cozy up to the Saudis.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:10 pm

Rio Cana wrote:Seems everyone skipped the part about those islands belonging once to Arabia. They handed them over to Egypt for safe keeping in 1950.

Tiran Island is occupied by a Multinational Force under Norwegian command but mostly US personnel whose job is to enforce the Israel-Egypt treaty which keeps the vital shipping route around the island open. The transfer back to the Saudis and the construction of the causeway is great for Egypt and Arabia but no doubt Israel is hating on it.

Of course with the US being the bigest investors in Arabia outside the Saudis themselves I'm sure the USA isn't too worried and will get Israel to calm down and everything will go good with Tiran becoming a new tourism destination

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:

Oh, I knew about this, don't get me wrong. But it's still unfortunate they cozy up to the Saudis.

El Sisi is doing it because of Egypt's economic problems.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm not even feigning apathy, I don't give a shit. We give larger favors to Saudi Arabia, even if it's a piss poor government, simply because our government has interests there.

So, if Egypt wants to join the party, whatever.

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:45 pm

Seriously, I'd like to know why you and other extremely anti-Sisi people think that The Muslim Brotherhood was redeemable. Sure they're moderate compared to ISIS and the Nejdis. But why do you not think they are evil?

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:

El Sisi is doing it because of Egypt's economic problems.

I know, but still, couldn't they have cozyed up to some other country then?

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:47 pm

Major-Tom wrote:I'm not even feigning apathy, I don't give a shit. We give larger favors to Saudi Arabia, even if it's a piss poor government, simply because our government has interests there.

So, if Egypt wants to join the party, whatever.

It's not like they have much of a choice here. At least they're working on snuffing out their influence in Egypt along with the MB.

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:47 pm

"Oh good job Saud's. Have a couple islands"

what kinda fucked up foriegn policy is this
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Lonbonia
Minister

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lonbonia » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm a Saudi, and I have to say, Egypt is basically giving away it's legitimacy as a country and bending over to everyone. Egypt shouldn't have given Saudi Arabia those islands.
The Empire of Lonbonia wishes to greet you!

Would you like to make an embassy in our nation? Please do so!

TheGemini
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby TheGemini » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:50 pm

A war between Iran and Saudi Arabia would be a glory indeed. They are in a virtual cold war hence the closer relations with Egypt and the two islands. Hillary Clinton's aide has close ties to the Muslim Brotherhood :clap: :o :lol2: :lol2: 8)

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:52 pm

Lonbonia wrote:I'm a Saudi, and I have to say, Egypt is basically giving away it's legitimacy as a country and bending over to everyone. Egypt shouldn't have given Saudi Arabia those islands.

Do you live in Saudi Arabia atm? If so, are you an expat? Pardon my nosiness, I'm just curious.

Lonbonia
Minister

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lonbonia » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Lonbonia wrote:I'm a Saudi, and I have to say, Egypt is basically giving away it's legitimacy as a country and bending over to everyone. Egypt shouldn't have given Saudi Arabia those islands.

Do you live in Saudi Arabia atm? If so, are you an expat? Pardon my nosiness, I'm just curious.

I was born in Saudi Arabia, but I've moved to America. I'm done with how the government works and it's growing corruption. I'm still in touch with most of my family which are still back in Saudia.
The Empire of Lonbonia wishes to greet you!

Would you like to make an embassy in our nation? Please do so!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General