NATION

PASSWORD

We Do Not Come in Peace [Closed][OOC/Planning]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:59 pm

Yes, that seems likely given that my fleet would likely be poised some manner of relatively sensible angle related to your fleet.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:06 pm

Allanea wrote:Yes, that seems likely given that my fleet would likely be poised some manner of relatively sensible angle related to your fleet.

But my "fleet" was not grouped together. The ships were separated by thousands of kilometers. This wasn't some military Fleet in operation, it was a group of corporations with separate fleets, mining vessels throughout the system, and twenty separate battlestations spread out evenly around the planet.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:38 pm

Also, in regards to Menelmacar, the posts show otherwise.

Piercing Descent was stated to be accelerating towards the planet, implying an orientation with the bow of the ship pointed towards the surface.
Excidium Planetis wrote:The only other thing of note was that Piercing Descent did nothing to comply. It kept all lasers trained on the nearest missiles, and kept its shields up. It also warmed up its warp drive and continued to accelerate towards the planet, on a collision course with Chri-irah's upper atmosphere. This would almost certainly be suicide, as the Crossbow Class carriers are not meant to enter the atmosphere of a planet.

And Menelmacar's flagship fired from behind the Carrier, implying a trajectory that would hit the planet's surface if the Carrier was not in the way.
Menelmacar wrote:The shots, when they came, were plasma lances from a battleship in the nearest equatorial group, the MIV Turambar. The Menelmacari ship fired from directly astern of the carrier, where they had the cleanest possible shot to sever the drive struts without damaging the rest of the ship. Piercing Descent's momentum would carry her free of the ring.

So, regardless of any standing orders, Menelmacar's ship was stated to have fired in a direction that could potentially lead to shots hitting the planet.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Menelmacar
Retired Moderator

Founded: Dec 18, 2002
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Menelmacar » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:42 am

You will note, of course, that those shots both hit, and were calculated to impart the exact amount of energy needed to sever the struts, as such little if any would have propagated to the planet's surface; any extra energy would have done further damage to Descent herself. Descent's velocity and trajectory were, if not constant, eminently predictable, all variables were known, and all the necessary math could be carried out in a thousandth of the time it took you to click the link to this post. From the perspective of the Menelmacari Fleetmind, a trained monkey could have made that shot. It was a trivially easy operation, and was carried out with the previous explicit order not to shoot the planet in mind.

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that you are not playing this in good faith and will misinterpret and rules-lawyer literally every post in the worst possible way for us, which means we will be arguing constantly. This raises the question why you agreed to this roleplay to begin with, and makes it seem very unlikely that we'll be able to play out the rest of the thread in a mutually enjoyable fashion.

With that in mind, let's come to some mutually agreeable conclusion and end the thread.
Last edited by Menelmacar on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The elves will do what is right, not what is on paper." ~Sunset
"We can't go around supporting The Good Of All Things. People might mistake us for Menelmacar." ~Education Minister Lobon of Kn-Yan
"Do you realize you're trying to sell resources to Menelmafuckingcar? Their resource base is larger than Melkor's ego." ~Advisor Julius Razak, Foot-to-Ass Section, Scolopendra
"I started on NS at a time when elf genocides were daily occurrences from week old nations wanting to get ortilleried by Menelmacar." ~Resurgent Dream
"Nothing here but rich-ass elves. Just...running the world. And shopping." ~Officer Daryl Ward, LAPD

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:33 am

Menelmacar wrote:You will note, of course, that those shots both hit, and were calculated to impart the exact amount of energy needed to sever the struts, as such little if any would have propagated to the planet's surface; any extra energy would have done further damage to Descent herself. Descent's velocity and trajectory were, if not constant, eminently predictable, all variables were known, and all the necessary math could be carried out in a thousandth of the time it took you to click the link to this post. From the perspective of the Menelmacari Fleetmind, a trained monkey could have made that shot. It was a trivially easy operation, and was carried out with the previous explicit order not to shoot the planet in mind.

Did I RP otherwise? Did I ever state that any Menelmacari fire ever hit the planet? No. I did not. It was Allanean fire, and I am dead positive that Allanea's gunner did no such precise calculations for their fire when they literally firing everything they had at one carrier.

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that you are not playing this in good faith and will misinterpret and rules-lawyer literally every post in the worst possible way for us

Woah, woah, woah. Worst possible way? Worst possible way is that Allanea's multi GIGATON rounds would have leveled every major Birrin city on one side of the planet. As it is, the fact that the only damage the capital of Kendi sustained was a statue being demolished is certainly not the worst outcome, and something you are, in my opinion, taking far too seriously.

This raises the question why you agreed to this roleplay to begin with,

Because me writing the story of how Excidium Planetis conquered some world in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no real threats is boring.

You know what an equally boring story is? How Menelmacar and allies destroyed a primitive spacefaring nation and freed the poor aliens with absolutely no real threats or accidents.

and makes it seem very unlikely that we'll be able to play out the rest of the thread in a mutually enjoyable fashion.

With that in mind, let's come to some mutually agreeable conclusion and end the thread.

Such an idea is certainly not mutually agreeable, at least not yet. There are more than two (or three, for that matter) people in this thread who have expressed an intent to continue, at least until this latest round here. I don't really see this RP going forward very well if any more people drop out, however.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:02 am

and I am dead positive that Allanea's gunner did no such precise calculations for their fire when they literally firing everything they had at one carrier.

It's literally not possible to hit anything at all at space ranges without ultra-precise calculations (carried out by computers of course). Even at real-world naval combat ranges this would be utterly impossible (and does not happen, and, generally speaking has not happened since WW2).
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:03 am

Allanea wrote:
and I am dead positive that Allanea's gunner did no such precise calculations for their fire when they literally firing everything they had at one carrier.

It's literally not possible to hit anything at all at space ranges without ultra-precise calculations (carried out by computers of course). Even at real-world naval combat ranges this would be utterly impossible (and does not happen, and, generally speaking has not happened since WW2).

So then, are you saying had my carrier moved a few dozen meters to the left, all those ultra precise shots would have missed? Because my carrier did. In order to hit it at all you would have to have fired shots you knew would miss unless my carrier moved to that specific spot, you would have to have fired in a spread.

But let's assume that all of your ships were at the perfect angle to have all of their projectiles missed the 12,000 kilometer wide planet by only 12 meters:
1) You still have debris to deal with, both from my ship and the hundreds of warheads exploding.
2) There were literally hundreds of nuclear devices detonated in the upper atmosphere. Realistically, a massive section of Chri-irah would have been hit with electromagnetic pulse, and lost all their electronics, power, etc. I didn't even write that in. You want me to change the post so that instead of minor damage to farmland the Birrin forces are completely crippled?

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:16 am

1. Obviously, guided missiles would correct their course for the moving target - that's what guided missiles do IRL, after all.
2. Being able to shoot beam weapons with some allowiance for possible movement does not equate 'firing wildly in the air'.
3. At no point was there any mention - in your posts of mine or yours - of nuclear weapons detonating in the upper atmosphere. My nuclear weapons were primed to self-destruct if they missed the carrier, thus of course avoiding detonation (I was explicit about this in the post). Most of nuclear weapons detonated way beyond the limits of atmosphere ('hundreds of kilometers above the surface), where it is deeply unlikely they would damage anyone with their EMP.

HOWEVER. I suggest we proceed with the RP.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:56 am

Does the planet have a moon?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:38 am

Look, I'll ignore your first two points now because I don't want to argue them. Instead, I'll focus on your complete disregard for what I RPed as happening months ago, at which time you voiced no disagreement.

Allanea wrote:3. At no point was there any mention - in your posts of mine or yours - of nuclear weapons detonating in the upper atmosphere.

Completely false.

Excidium Planetis wrote: All the drone starfighters also fired off their torpedoes, a whole 320 nuclear warheads, while several drones scattered, seemingly to avoid destruction if the carrier was destroyed. The torpedoes fired appeared to spread out and target incoming enemy warheads, hoping to create a field of nuclear blasts that would wipe out enemy munitions, as well as create a very powerful EMP in the upper atmosphere of Chri-irah.

Allanea wrote:My nuclear weapons were primed to self-destruct if they missed the carrier, thus of course avoiding detonation (I was explicit about this in the post).

If they missed, sure, but what if they hit?

Allanea wrote:Most of nuclear weapons detonated way beyond the limits of atmosphere ('hundreds of kilometers above the surface), where it is deeply unlikely they would damage anyone with their EMP.

Then how the f*** would they have hit my carrier in the first place? My carrier was in the atmosphere when you fired missiles at it, obviously those missiles were intended to detonate in the atmosphere. Furthermore, given the angle your ships were firing at in order for the shots to miss the planet, the missile would have to have traveled thousands of kilometers through atmosphere before hitting my carrier, which would have been when my own nuclear torpedoes that were fired to intercept them detonated - In the atmosphere!

HOWEVER. I suggest we proceed with the RP.

It is very difficult to do so when you insist on things not having happened the way they were RPed. At the time I made those posts, I consistently RPed my carrier being in atmosphere. Even Menelmacar's posts acknowledged that was the case by detecting Aeiouia's cloaked fighter (which was next to my carrier) by the atmospheric disturbances caused by its flight. So now, suddenly, you act as if the carrier you were firing at was not in atmosphere, all because acknowledging so would mean your ships fired in a way that could potentially damage the native infrastructure of the planet?
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:45 am

Allanea wrote:Does the planet have a moon?

IIRC, it has several. I am not sure exactly how many, but I'd figure between 2 and 4, and much smaller than Earth's.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:01 pm

I have searched the thread and there are mentions of the carrier being "hundreds of kilometers" over the planet. Possibly I misunderstood this.

If you want to have damage to the infrastructure of Chri-ira that is possible of course. (THough EMP doesn't, really disable things permanently unless it blows up really close to them).
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:07 pm

Oh here is your explicit post:

The citizens of the the nation of Kendi watched the light show above them. Hundreds of nuclear torpedoes burst hundreds of kilometers above as the Allanean Fleet attempted to destroy a single Excidian carrier. Of course, those finer details were unknown to the Birrin below.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:25 pm

Allanea wrote:Oh here is your explicit post:

The citizens of the the nation of Kendi watched the light show above them. Hundreds of nuclear torpedoes burst hundreds of kilometers above as the Allanean Fleet attempted to destroy a single Excidian carrier. Of course, those finer details were unknown to the Birrin below.

That was my most recent post, and was the only such reference.

At the time you posted your firing on the carrier, the only information in regards to its altitude was that it was in the atmosphere. The more recent "hundreds of kilometers" could potentially refer to eitherdistance and not exact altitude, or to the earlier part of the battle where nuclear weapons were fired in space before the carrier entered the atmosphere.

But even if the carrier was "hundreds of kilometers" above, real life nuclear tests (Starfish Prime as the example) show EMP affecting surface electronics at detonations 400 kilometers in altitude.

Also, EMP does disable things permanently. Russian nuclear tests blew transformers, downed power lines, and even started a power plant fire, all of which cause permanent damage (although repairable). And that was before sophisticated fragile electronics were widespread.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:45 pm

Yes, EMP disables some electronics - typically those closest to the blast - permanently. But not most of them - Starfish Prime did not wipe out all the electronics in the US.

Either way, if you want to have EMP damage, have it. Let's move on to posting.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Allanea wrote:Yes, EMP disables some electronics - typically those closest to the blast - permanently. But not most of them - Starfish Prime did not wipe out all the electronics in the US.

That would be because Starfish Prime was not detonated over the US (Well, I suppose technically Johnston Island was a US territory, but it was in the middle of the Pacific), and electrical systems back then were more rugged.

Either way, if you want to have EMP damage, have it. Let's move on to posting.

Fine. I'll post.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Okay, post up.

Summary: Piercing Descent is complying, and Tenzeni issued a formal condemnation of slavery, only to find they were beat to do so by Kendi. Kaybor has not issued one yet, nor has the Chey Confederation, although the latter is likely due to the disunified government structure.

Also, for anyone interested, Alex Ries finally made an official map of Chri-irah. It can be found here. As the nations and locations I mentioned bear little resemblance, I might either completely split canon here or retcon the locations to fit better.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:35 am

I believe personally that we should go on with the nations we have.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:42 pm

Just to clarify, there are an unspecified number of Birrin nations still functioning at this point, but all but three of them are Southern Chey Confederation nations: Kaybor, Kendi, and Tenzeni. The other unspecified Birrin nations that are no longer functioning were either toppled by Coalition forces while the territory became officially Tenzeni, or were annexed by Kaybor as part of their "defense against the Offworlders".

Further clarification: In terms of world politics, Kaybor is basically the Soviet Union of Chri-irah. Tenzeni before it was conquered was basically the United States, serving as a check to Kaybor imperialism, and Kendi doesn't really have a real world analogue. It's like if late 19th Century Britain was the most advanced nation in the world by a good deal and was allied to Cold War Soviet Union. And had the same "leash-holder" role with Kaybor that China has with North Korea, except without the massive difference in power. The Chey Confederation is like a third world European Union, as I believe I said before, and thus takes up a third side to Chriiran world politics.

Now that the Chriiran equivalent if the US was decapitated and Chri-irah was faced with an alien invasion, Kaybor was free to essentially just start taking over all the nations they could. Which was not actually a whole lot, given the Industrial Coalition beat them to the punch multiple times.

Anyways, I will get a Chri-irah post up soon.

Chri-irah
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chri-irah » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Sorry that took so long.

At first, when I was deciding what course to take as the Birrin nations, I had this brilliant idea (so I thought):

"Now that the Birrin nations know that the Excidian orbital forces are defeated, and thus any strategic missile defenses are severely weakened, now would be the perfect time for Kaybor to nuke Tenzeni!!!!"

And then I remembered none of the Birrin nations have nuclear weapons.

So I scrapped that post.

Instead, the invasion I aluded to in my first Excidium post has arrived. The Hunters have become the Hunted, and other cliches.

The Ctan
Minister

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Ctan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:00 am

Or as they say in Babylon 5, 'a new target has been set up on the firing range.'

In other news, my Hiatus can somewhat wind down now enough to participate somewhat again.
Last edited by The Ctan on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Necrons were amongst the first beings to come into existance, and have sworn that they will rule over the living." - Still surprisingly accurate!
"Be you anywhere from Progress Level 5 or 6 and barely space-competent, all the way up to the current record of PL-20 for beings like the C’Tan..." Lord General Superior Rai’a Sirisi, Xenohumanity
"Many races and faiths have considered themselves to be a threat to the Necrons, but their worlds and their cultures are now little more than interesting archaeology."
Want to get in touch? Direct Discord Link

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:04 am

The Ctan wrote:Or as they say in Babylon 5, 'a new target has been set up on the firing range.'

In other news, my Hiatus can somewhat wind down now enough to participate somewhat again.

That's fine, as very little happened during your hiatus.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Okay, I officially declare this RP dead. No one has any interest in it anymore.

Let's just work out a resolution.

I'll lay out what I see as the resolution, feel free to object or comment:

1) The Industrial Coalition works out a ceasefire agreement. Tenzeni keeps all current territory, and maintains claims to all territory seized by the Chey Confederation in their attack.

2) Kaybor continues to exist, with a smaller territory and no claim on the Kiln.

3) Kendi continues to exist, with official support from Allanea. The Kendi space station and Sigma station are returned to it, and Kendi shares joint control of Chri-irah's space with Tenzeni.

4) Tenzeni is prohibited from launching a war against any other Chri-iran nation. The Tenzeni army is rebranded as the Tenzeni Self Defense Force and cut back significantly.

5) The Chey Conderation cedes the land it took from Tenzeni in the last assault.

6) All interventionist forces are given right to continued monitoring of Chri-irah, and freedom of movement through the system.

Aeiouia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeiouia » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:08 pm

To note, Aeiouia probably would have attempted to steal at least one of the wrecks of the Mare-Class Battlestations, and cover it up by replacing it with a non-holographic decoy a few hours later.
Future Tech. Dim-witted living starship creatures in their equivalent to the stone age, attempting to form a civilization.
This nation got massively re-written a few years ago. Any posts from this nation before 2017 are eligible for cringe and losing subscriber.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:11 pm

If you can, hold off with a final decision until the weekend, my friends might need a day or two to post.

Also I am assuming we can RP having Birrin immigrants in our nations?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents