NATION

PASSWORD

How are new Heads of State sworn in in your country?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Palaam
Envoy

Founded: Mar 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Palaam » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Technically Palaam is an absolute monarchy, but there are certain ceremonies and traditions to these things. The Sultan, the Shahanshah, is a hereditary office, which has thus far been passed down only to sons. Upon the death of the Sultan (he cannot resign; if he chooses not to rule a Regent is appointed) the Crown Prince is installed in a religious ceremony.

Two ceremonies take place: the Crown Prince travels to the Palace of the Edifice in Anshaan province, where he waits in mourning for the arrival of the previous Grand Vizier, who formally requests that he ascend the throne; it is possible (though unusual) for him to decline. The Crown Prince must wait at Anshaan for another week while preparations are made in Ahui Bat.

The anchor-idols of the many city-gods and land deities are brought to Ahui Bat and set up in a special courtyard. In Mazdaist thought, these deities are coming to pay homage to Aurmasht, the universal lord, and bear witness to the coronation of the new Shahanshah. The Tower Priests, assisted by hundreds of other lesser Mazdaist priests, perform purification ceremonies of the Citadel, the central palace, temple, and religious center, and prepare to distribute special Great Fires from the Fire Temple.

After a week, the Crown Prince begins his trek from Anshaan to Ahui Bat. This procession goes on horse, camel, and carriage in the traditional way: the Royal Guards regiment, supported by Five Star Army forces, guards the Crown Prince. The higher aristocrats, the members of the Council of Nobles, join the procession. He must enter the Capitol at dawn, and if he arrives early must camp outside the city walls. The Crown Prince enters the Old City through the Eastern Lion Gate, proceeding down the Lion Avenue to the Sultan's Gate, only used during coronation ceremonies. He dismounts and proceeds on foot through the gate into the Hall of Royal Succession, where he mounts the central dais and waits while the members of the Supreme Council, his father's viziers, enter and bow before him, asking him to take up the throne.

Accepting, he proceeds through the hall, changing into the sacred white clothing of the Mazdaist worshipper, and undergoes the purifying kusti ceremony before proceeding through the courtyard holding the idols of the gods. Entering the Fire Temple, the most sacred space next to the Tower itself, he undergoes a special ceremony known only to the Tower Priests. Once the ceremony is over, he walks barefoot up the citadel to the foot of the Golden Tower itself, where he spends the night sleeping at the foot of the stone tower, praying.

In the morning, he descends and propitiates the assembled gods and the Great Fire, before being washed in a special basin and clothed again in white. He enters the Chamber of Alulim, the legendary god-king, and ascends the Sultan's throne, set lower than where Alulim's throne is traditionally held to be. The Supreme Council and the Council of Nobles, with the High Command, bow before him as the High Priests pray and burn incense, declaring him "His Imperial Majesty, the Semi-Divine One, the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, the Sultan of All Palaam" and formally give him his regnal name.

And that's that.

Krsta
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Krsta » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Inauguration is held on 17th of february every 4 years.

Our leader, sir Fiorello Vincenta, was sworn in on 17th of february, in 2008. But, on March 4 2010 prince Willkind returned to his country so it will become monarchy very soon.

Cradled Squads
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

There is no need for such a ceremony.

Postby Cradled Squads » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:41 pm

It is obvious who the leader is...the winner kills off all possible competitors. The last healthy contender leads.

Gordonopia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordonopia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 pm

In Gordonopia, the new Emperor is always the leader of the Cult of Pahuus. After the Emperor passes away, as he did yesterday unfortunately, the leader of the Cult will assume the title Emperor Pro Tem ____________. After the funeral he will be bathed with the blood of 12 young children, one from each of Gordonopia's 12 provinces. Then he will perform a sacrifice to Lord Pahuus and some other rituals that are not appropriate for discussion here, as they are reserved only for members of the Cult. After this, he will be officially recognized in an official ceremony in the central square of the capital city of Hiipakuntakaupunki after which he will assume the throne as Emperor ____________.

South Kirkcaldy
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby South Kirkcaldy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:18 pm

In South Kirkcaldy, Parliamentary elections are held every four years, or when the Prime Minister dissolves Parliament, whichever comes first. After the elections, the party with the most seats has the right to form a government. In the case of a hung Parliament, either a coalition is formed, new elections are called, or the outnumbering party forms a minority government(as we have now).

Either way, Parliament chooses their Speaker for the new term, then selects the Prime Minister(this is merely a formality as the new PM is, as mentioned above, the leader of the outnumbering party). The Speaker must then, on the behalf of Parliament, ask the Prime Minister-Designate whether or not they accept. The Prime Minister is then taken to the official residence of the PM, 11 Dorney Avenue, and announce to the press and nation that, "Parliament has selected me to become Prime Minister, and I have accepted."

Now, we have a new Prime Minister.
Home of Dame Simone Monat CGG (as knighted by the Duke of Wessex)

Our News Network. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59198

Tungookska wrote: Hire Teenagers While They Still Know Everything!

Unilisia wrote:
The Silver Pawn wrote:I am 14 and my name is Samantha. I have brown hair, green eyes, am about 4'11", and LOVE cats. Would you date me? I am the kind of girl who doesn't care about looks, just sweetness.

You sound like a nice friend, but since I am 19, it wouldn't really work out well legally.

Plus, I doubt your bisexual, thus making it nigh impossible for us to date.

V + V = Sqishy squish.

The Newport Republic
Attaché

Founded: Jul 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Newport Republic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:47 pm

They must first swim in the Newport River,then kneel before the people standing at Newport City Park, and then they assume rule in Newport Castle.

Padullahstan
Ambassador

Founded: May 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Padullahstan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:04 pm

God-Emperors are born into human form, when an old God-Emperor ascends into the Paradises, his son succeeds him as the reigning God-Emperor.
The Padullahstani Republic
"Where everything's classified!"™

This nation does not reflect the actual opinions of the poster at all, and this nation should not be taken seriously. At all. It's meant to be an over-the-top parody of dictatorships and oppressive regimes.

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Every Member of Congress, the President, Justices and other federal officials of Zeppy are inaugurated and take their oath (usually on the first Saturday of January), in the Confederate Hall of The Confederate Palace of Zeppy.

Article 6, Section 2B of The Federal Constitution of Zeppy wrote:The members of Congress before mentioned, and the members of the Parliaments of the several Cantons, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the Federal Republic and of the several Cantons, shall be bound by the following Oath or Affirmation to support this Constitution:

OATH OR AFFIRMATION
    I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, defend, be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Federal Constitution of the Federal Republic of Zeppy against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. [So help me God!]

Mid Lothian
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mid Lothian » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Airstrip 17 wrote:"New heads of state?" What is this madness you speak of? I, the glorious Big Brother, will remain the one and only head of state of Airstrip 17, keeping watch over my people for eternity.
(Your likelihood of relating this to the book Nineteen Eighty-Five has been noted.)

OOC - I thought it was called Nineteen Eighty-Four.

IC - Despite being the most powerful person in ML, they don't really have a ceremony when they become the HoS: they go to the monarch and ask them for permission to form a new government. After this formality, they go to their new house of 10 Newnham Street and address the huge throng of journalists. That's pretty much it.
Please note that Mid Lothian is based on fantasy. Any references to anything/one/where that exists is completely coincidential.
Frequently used abbreviations: HoS = Head of State; HoG = Head of Government; ML = Mid Lothian; KSS - Kate Stephens-Smith.
Fancy an embassy in ML? Click me for details. (PS - I'll return the favour.)
I am usually rewriting stuff about Mid Lothian - just because it's true today isn't necessarily true tomorrow.

Warning - Full-time Grammar Nazi at work. You have been warned. (I guess that's due to my mum being an English teacher. Also, don't use masculine words to describe me - my name is Rebecca, which is clearly a feminine name.)

Jalanat
Minister

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jalanat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:37 pm

Traditionally, people throw tomatoes at them for a whole day, sometimes longer.
My nation is not like my nation page at all, it contradicts itself, we don't EVER eat kangaroos, that's just very sad. Also vegetarianism is compulsory yet it still says it's the nation's favourite main course and all and stuff.

Marahshah
Envoy

Founded: Jul 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Marahshah » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:26 pm

The ruler of the Dragon Court, the Dragon King/Queen* is sworn in during a large and elaborate ceremony where they declare their loyalty and dedication to serving the nation of Marahshah in honesty and truth. Following the ceremony, we hold a week-long festival celebrating the new Dragon King/Queen at the Dragon Court in central Marahshah.

The ruler of the Magnificent Court, the King/Queen is sworn in at the Sandhh Palace in Sandhh (located in southern Marahshah). This event is only open to members of the Dragon Court and Magnificent Court. A state dinner follows the swearing-in ceremony. A holiday is scheduled for the day following the ceremony and festivals are held around the country to celebrate.

Both leaders are sworn in by the Judge of that Court (usually the oldest member of each Court and the adviser). The second eldest member serves as a witness.

*[NOTE: This ruler is an actual dragon]

San Guillermo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby San Guillermo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:55 pm

When the monarch dies or abdicates the throne, the first in-line to succeed becomes the monarch. The official proclamation of ascension is made (traditionally by the Prime Minister) and a coronation is held a few months after.

The coronation is usually done at Aramade Plaza in the city of Trastamara, the original capital of the kingdom. The monarch would stand on a large stone pedestal in the middle of the plaza and receive the royal regalia as he recited the oath of ascension:

I swear to observe the Constitution and the laws of the people of the United Kingdom of Santos Rivera and San Guillermo, to maintain the national independence and the integrity of the territory.

After reciting the oath in the three official languages of the kingdom (Spanish, English, and Portuguese), the Prime Minister puts the crown upon the monarch's head, symbolizing the power of the sovereign comes from the people and not from the state. Only then is the monarch considered the head of state.
Last edited by San Guillermo on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The United Kingdom of Santos Rivera and San Guillermo, in union the United Rivera
The Factbook
HM Michael the First
King of the United Rivera

* PM de Alcantara on Morsi ousting: "The people of Egypt know what is right for their country, and we will support them in whatever they do."
* Mercedes mayor receives criticism after "Honey" remarks
* Headline editor to reader: "I can't believe you read this s***!"
* Filming to start on Verde, a film about the revolution of 1985
* FLAG REQUESTS now taken, for a limited time! Please, keep it simple.
YOU JUST LOST. Ha!

Saurisia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:58 pm

They first swear an oath and growl/roar that oath in their species's animal calls, and then stomp around for a short while. Then, they are officially inaugurated.
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Coronation of the Chancellors of TurtleShroom

Postby TurtleShroom » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:23 pm

The coronation ceremony of TurtleShroom has remained mostly unchanged since 1912, but overall, retains the same themes and order of procession since the founding of the country in 1796, with the addition of a "faith in democracy" rite that uses a random citizen without any perk or privelage. TurtleShroom's coronation of their heads of state, of all species, pulls itself from the Bible, Christian tradition, cleromancy, and some TurtleShroom quirks. It's an elaborate process.

The coronation of the Chancellors is in part derived from the Bible's Old Testament, and in many ways, it is, but merged with the system used in the Book of Acts (laying of hands and recitation) and added into several traditional themes from other regimes, namely like that of Europe. TurtleShroom's ceremony is also based on church services, and this key tie to the Church and organized religion seems to stem from the eastern European origins of the first Missionaries of the country. The chanting and procession of clerics is especially reminescent of Imperial Russia (pre-USSR), though the Church does not consider the heads of state an earthly pastor or shepherd of any sort (like the Pope or the Russian Tsar).

From 1796 until 1912, the coronation service excluded the involvement of the common creature (the every day citizen) that now exists in the service (as described below). The disestablishment of the monarchy led to a greater emphasis on the every day TurtleShroomer before again shifting back to the state during the fascist era.

It all begins when a Chancellor, either the mushroom or the turtle, or both, die. For unknown reasons, if both die, the turtle goes first. All flags flying over the public sector are lowered into half-staff until a new Chancellor is coronated.

If one head of state has died, the position is temporarily filled by a Board of Regents: thirteen creatures (of any species) that hold the collective office of Chancellor in conjunction with the surviving Chancellor.If both heads of state have died... well, that has never happened, so no one has plans on who governs. Regents wear white robes and black ties, plus plastic replicas of the Chancellor's crown, until the new office is convened.

On the Sunday following the death of the Chancellor, the funeral having finished, the surviving Chancellor leads the dead Chancellor's Majestic Twelve to the very top of the roof of the largest Baptist megachurch in the country (it's currently in the Capitol city but can change). (If both Chancellors are dead, the Judgemaster, the equivalent of both the Chief Justice and Speaker of the House in the USA, does this.) The dead Chancellor's corpse, in the coffin, is also carried and set at the front entrance of the building. Every Senator, the living Chancellor's Twelve, and the Headmaster of each Cabinet Ministry is present at the base of the building.

The golden dice are thrown and, by the results of these dice, the new Chancellor is chosen. This is a modern edition of casting lots.

After the dice are found, read, and verified, the winner that was picked is led down from the roof, and out the front door, where the Senators and Headmasters gather around the old Chancellor's coffin. The Senators and such closest to the Successor pick him up and, much like at the end of a football game, he is carried to the limosine while armed bodygaurds patrol to prevent an assassin from materializing amongst the cheering throngs of citizens.
This is symbolic by the Chancellor being held up, supported, and balenced by a democratic regime, where the people matter, in a modern world (hence the car).

The Chancellor is driven off, far into the northern deserts, far from civilization and anyone else. Accompanying him are several soldiers, some creatures who have earned Titles of Nobility, the Judgemaster, the Chief Justice of the Grand Alcoholic Tribunal, bodygaurds, the two oldest Senators, six randomly selected commonors, two creatures that were able to purchase a ticket, and three Divorcinators from the Holy Marriage Tribunal. In the shotgun seat (next to the driver), is a male human considered especially holy, such as a teleevangelist or successfully religious activist.
He, in the limosine, is wearing dirty brown robes and a pair of old-timey sandals. He is dressed like a historically accurate Old Testament Prophet, and is carrying with him a horn (literally) bearing oil. The horn is made of a single sapphire, and shaped to look like a horn used by Old Testament prophets. (The only inaccuracy would occur if he wasn't of Middle-Eastern/Jewish/Arabic descent, and then he wouldn't be the right race or color, and the horn is a jewel.) This oil is not what one would think: it's actually crude oil. Black gold. Texas tea. The ingrediant to petroleum. Since the horn is uncapped and unaltered, it's hard to keep that oil from sloshing out.

Following the tradition done on King David in the Bible, the guy dressed as a Prophet and the Successor get out and stand in the desert. The limosine drives far off. Now alone, for an hour, the two will pray to the Judeo-Christian God (if the Successor is a believer in Christ, if not, this is skipped altogether) for wisdom to govern, proper guidance, knowledge, patience, and rationality to reign over the country.

The Prophet impersonator takes the horn of crude oil and annoints the Successor privately, as was done for the first King of Israel. A video camera is at hand to confirm it happened, but the recording is classified and is never to be shared.

The now annointed Successor, not wiping the oil off of him, is led back (or carried if turtle) by the holy man to the limosine. He gets in and they return to the same church. Repeating the carrying thing, the Successor is taken into the megachurch.

Now in the church, the Successor, still being carried, is led down the center aisle in the megachurch's sanctuary. Those carrying him pack themselves into a line tight enough to proceed without moving anything out of the way. While entering, the Chancellor was moved to the back of the line. The line stands from the alter to the entrance of the sanctuary. They literally crowd-surf the Successor to the alter, where he is placed down. He never actually touches the ground inside the church until now. Everyone takes their seats.

Then, the doors open again as everyone in the building rises for a previously selected human Baptist pastor, dressed in the sole vestment offered to his denomination (the black robe). Behind him, major leaders of other Protestant denominations- all human -show up, and at the back comes a Catholic Cardinal of TurtleShroom, followed by a representative of the non-denominational branch of Christianity. After this religious procession, four highly decorated soldiers come in, and they all sit down. The procession contines non-stop, with two random bureaucrat-judges, and then two lucky creatures that had recieved Titles of Nobility by the state. All of these creatures, fully dressed in whatever vestments and items the position comes with, stand two-by-two down the center aisle. leaving an open area for someone to walk down.

The pastor leads a prayer as everyone, Successor included, bow their heads. Then, as the church organ plays the national anthem, the doors open again as everyone rises.

In comes a human commonor with no power whatsoever, selected randomly, holding the Crown that the Chancellors wear. This common man- symbolic of the government's responsibility to answer to the people, listening to and protecting them -walks down the aisle with the crown. Everyone in the room fixes their eyes on this human, as he slowly carries the suprisingly lightweight (as was in the Bible) crown to the alter.

He hands the Crown to the pastor, who holds it up and blesses it. Then, he asks the Senator from the smallest congressional district to come and take the Crown from him.This is symbolic of representative democracy and how even the least of voters matter. If mushroom or human, the Senator holds it up above them, and if turtle, it is placed on his/her shell.

The Successor either bends/bows or lowers his/her neck as low as possible. As the Successor is bowing and the Senator is holding the crown, all of the clerics pull out a Bible and simultaneously recite Psalms 110:2-3, and Psalms 110:5-7, in a responsive reading format (AKA clerics one line and the audience the next), along with some Proverbs and excerpts from the Book of Amos talking about a just/righteous king and equal treatment of citizens, incorruptibility, and justice in the courts for everyone without bias. They then read some excerpts from the Gospels and Romans 13.

Finally, the Senator is instructed with a simple nod from the Pastor to slowly lower the Crown onto the Successor's head, or, if turtle, to the pastor, who helps the turtle hold the Crown in his mouth and place it on the Successor (the Pastor doesn't touch it).

At last, the Successor is coronated! Trumpets are blown and then everyone chants, in Hebrew, "GOD SAVE RULER {NAME}, HEAD {SPECIES} OF TURTLESHROOM" (no Hebrew word for Chancellor exists).

The Chancellor, now crowned, walks out of the Church and around the dead Chancellor's coffin, up to a podium to address the cheering crowd.

The new Chancellor delivers a speech similar to an inaugration address. Then, the pastor comes out with a Bible selected by the new Chancellor. Placing either one of his claws (turtle) or his cap/face/what would count as his forehead (mushroom) on the Bible, he begins to recite a covenant. This covenant is made not only between the Judeo-Christian God/Jesus and the Chancellor and the people, but also between the Chancellor and the people.

The Chancellor's Covenant wrote:"I, Chancellor {NAME}, Head {SPECIES} of the Holy Republic of TurtleShroom, hereby vow with my yes being yes and no being no, with the Lord and this crowd as my witnesses, to govern TurtleShroom with a fair hand and in agreement with my fellow Co-Chancellor, in perpetual and total adherence to the Constitution and standards of morality, never being corrupt and never stepping outside of my authorized powers. I vow to never accept bribes nor relenquish the sovereignity of the realm or endanger her people, nor to ever take drugs or alcohol, as so banned in Prohibition. I further swear to never alter an election or fix a democratic event in my favor or what I percieve as the favor of the state. I promise to be held accountable for all actions I perform in this holy office and vow to exact the will of God as His plan so dictates.

To Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I vow on my honor to uphold Your teachings in the state, to serve You by being a positive example while governing, to never make insults to You, to Your Father, to the Holy Spirit, or to Christianity, and I further promise to preserve the morality and decency outlined by our ancestors and Your Word, so that You may be seen as a guiding light to both TurtleShroomers and foreigners all over the multiverse. In all I do, I vow to excercise Your Will as You so demand, and to never compromise what is Right.

To you, the Masses, my employers, my masters, I vow on my honor to never persecute any man due to faith or lack thereof in adherence to the Constitution's freedoms. I vow on my honor to never squash protests against me, my position, or other nonviolent demonstrations agaisnt the current order or system. I vow to preserve your freedom of speech, conscience, and right to bear arms, as dictated by the Constitution. On my honor I vow to protect you from alcohol, drugs, scandals, bribes, crime, and evil. I vow to never abuse the constitutional deportation clause to exile non-violating, peaceful dissidents, nor factions I simply disagree with. If I fail these duties in my own life and rule, on my honor, may I be removed from my position and tried accordingly, barring no punishment or conviction just because of the position God has blessed me with. I vow to refrain from the sin of power abuse and the lust of control. I vow to answer to your grievances and act accordingly, and I vow to cooperate fully and completely with the democratically elected Congress, never causing harm to them and never interfering with democracy. As you have sent these creatures to advise me and curb my authority, they are also servants of the people, never servants of the Chancellor.

I vow to preserve TurtleShroom's sovereignity, existance, democracy, and stability. I vow to secure her borders, preserve her standing army, empower her citizens, never abridge her masses' right to arms, never enter the World Assembly, never disenfranchise her people, nor engage in nuclear proliferation and disarmament. I vow to answer only to the people of TurtleShroom, never bowing to any supranational governance outside of the Land of Power, and only engaging in alliances that benefit TurtleShroom mutually. I vow that any colonies maintained under my rule shall be governed justly and equally to the motherland, and that all residents of the penal colony of Liberal TurtleShroom shall have, at any time, freedom of movement to exit the archipeligo.

I make these vows in the name of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and by my honor and the People's Will.

So help me God!

Cheers follow as a mass responsive dedication occurs. The other Chancellor joins the new one in this.

Chancellor Dedication wrote:{Pastor turns to Chancellors}

Pastor: Chancellor [NAME}, duly annointed, and Incumbent, Chancellor {NAME}, will you uphold and preserve the Constitution and all laws of TurtleShroom in every manner of rule?

Chancellors: We will.

Pastor: Will you listen to the people and to Congress, never ignoring the cries of the citizenry and never abusing your power in any method whatsoever?

{Pastor turns to Congress, Headmasters, and any member of the public sector in attendance or the audience.}

Pastor: Now, I ask anyone serving in the public sector of TurtleShroom to stand and raise their right appendage if feasible, or to raise their necks and recite with me.

Pastor: Government members of TurtleShroom, will you be servants of the people, putting those who have chosen you, your masters, over yourself? Will you excercise your duties faithfully, honestly, and without any corruption?

All public sector employees: We will.

Pastor: Will you solely do your duties for the interests of the Masses and for the furthering of society, productivity, and All Things Good and Decent, never abusing your power?

{Pastor turns to the military and any possible soldiers in the audience.}

Pastor: Now, I ask any creature present who is actively serving in any branch of TurtleShroom's armed forces to salute and recite with me.

Pastor: Defenders of TurtleShroom, heroes and heroines of the people, honorable servants, noble warriors... Soldiers of the TurtleShroomer Military: will you always protect TurtleShroom and her people, defending her sovereignity and giving your all, even your life if you must, for others and for your nation, so that the Masses may sleep in peace at night when they lay down their heads?

Soldiers: We will.

Pastor: Will you never take up arms against the government you vow to protect, nor betray the people of the country in any means?

{Pastor turns to the audience.}

Pastor: Now, I ask every TurtleShroomer in attendance, and any within hearing of my voice, to rise and recite with me.

Pastor: Fellow TurtleShroomers, will you live your lives lawfully, successfully, happily, and in freedom?

The Masses: We will.

Pastor: Will you call out corruption among your neighbor and your government at any time?

Pastor: Will you say no to drugs, never violating the constitutional Prohibition?

Pastor: Will you never take up arms in revolution against your own sovereign, but nonetheless excercising all rights given and any grievances through peaceful means to criticize said government when it misbehaves?

{Pastor turns back to Chancellors. The old Chancellor steps aside as the pastor lays his hands on the new Chancellor.}

Pastor: People of TurtleShroom: by the power invested upon me by God's Only Son, by law, by the Constitution, and by All Things Good and Decent, I hereby present you with His Most Sober Excellency, Chancellor {NAME}, Head {SPECIES} of the Republic of TurtleShroom, Defender of the Christian Faith and of Morality, by the Grace of God. Or, in short, the new Chancellor of TurtleShroom.

{Thunderous applause, whoops and hollers, and other hick stuff of joy.}

All ceremonies done, the Chancellors are led back into the limo to go to the Chancellary building, where they officially begin governing. The funeral for the old Chancellor is then held. After all of that, flags are raised back to full staff.

TurtleShroom is under new reign.
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Marahshah
Envoy

Founded: Jul 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Marahshah » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 am

TurtleShroom wrote:
TurtleShroom's coronation of their heads of state, of both species, pulls itself from the Bible, Christian tradition, cleromancy, and some TurtleShroom quirks. It's an elaborate process.

The coronation of the Chancellors is in part derived from the Bible's Old Testament, and in many ways, it is, but merged with the system used in the Book of Acts and added into several traditional themes from other regimes, namely like that of Europe.

It all begins when a Chancellor, either the mushroom or the turtle, or both, die. For unknown reasons, if both die, the turtle goes first. All flags flying over the public sector are lowered into half-staff until a new Chancellor is coronated.

If one head of state has died, the position is temporarily filled by a Board of Regents: ten creatures (of any species) that hold the collective office of Chancellor in conjunction with the surviving Chancellor. If both heads of state have died... well, that has never happened, so no one has plans on who governs. Regents wear white robes and black ties, plus plastic replicas of the Chancellor's crown, until the new office is convened.

On the Sunday following the death of the Chancellor, the funeral having finished, the surviving Chancellor leads the dead Chancellor's Majestic Twelve to the very top of the roof of the largest Baptist megachurch in the country (it's currently in the Capitol city but can change). (If both Chancellors are dead, the Judgemaster, the equivalent of both the Chief Justice and Speaker of the House in the USA, does this.) The dead Chancellor's corpse, in the coffin, is also carried and set at the front entrance of the building. Every Senator, the living Chancellor's Twelve, and the Headmaster of each Cabinet Ministry is present at the base of the building.

The golden dice are thrown and, by the results of these dice, the new Chancellor is chosen. This is a modern edition of casting lots.

After the dice are found, read, and verified, the winner that was picked is led down from the roof, and out the front door, where the Senators and Headmasters ather around the old Chancellor's coffin. The Senators and such closest to the Successor pick him up and, much like at the end of a football game, he is carried to the limosine while armed bodygaurds patrol to prevent an assassin from materializing amongst the cheering throngs of citizens.
This is symbolic by the Chancellor being held up, supported, and balenced by a democratic regime, where the people matter, in a modern world (hence the car).

The Chancellor is driven off, far into the northern deserts, far from civilization and anyone else. Accompanying him are several soldiers, some creatures who have earned Titles of Nobility, the Judgemaster, the Chief Justice of the Grand Alcoholic Tribunal, bodygaurds, the two oldest Senators, six randomly selected commonors, two creatures that were able to purchase a ticket, and three Divorcinators from the Holy Marriage Tribunal. In the shotgun seat (next to the driver), is a male human considered especially holy, such as a teleevangelist or successfully religious activist.
He, in the limosine, is wearing dirty brown robes and a pair of old-timey sandals. He is dressed like a historically accurate Old Testament Prophet, and is carrying with him a horn (literally) bearing oil. (The only inaccuracy would occur if he wasn't of Middle-Eastern/Jewish/Arabic descent, and then he wouldn't be the right race or color.) This oil is not what one would think: it's actually crude oil. Black gold. Texas tea. The ingrediant to petroleum. Since the horn is uncapped and unaltered, it's hard to keep that oil from sloshing out.

Following the tradition done on King David in the Bible, the guy dressed as a Prophet and the Successor get out and stand in the desert. The limosine drives far off. Now alone, for an hour, the two will pray to the Judeo-Christian God (if the Successor is a believer in Christ, if not, this is skipped altogether) for wisdom to govern, proper guidance, knowledge, patience, and rationality to reign over the country.

The Prophet impersonator takes the horn of crude oil and annoints the Successor privately, as was done for the first King of Israel. A video camera is at hand to confirm it happened, but the recording is classified and is never to be shared.

The now annointed Successor, not wiping the oil off of him, is led back (or carried if turtle) by the holy man to the limosine. He gets in and they return to the same church. Repating the carrying thing, the Successor is taken into the megachurch.

Now in the church, the Successor, still being carried, is led down the center aisle in the megachurch's sanctuary. Those carrying him pack themselves into a line tight enough to proceed without moving anything out of the way. While entering, the Chancellor was moved to the back of the line. The line stands from the alter to the entrance of the sanctuary. They literally crowd-surf the Successor to the alter, where he is placed down. He never actually touches the ground inside the church until now. Everyone takes their seats.

Then, the doors open again as everyone in the building rises for a previously selected human Baptist pastor, dressed in the sole vestment offered to his denomination (the black robe). Behind him, major leaders of other Protestant denominations- all human -show up, and at the back comes a Catholic Cardinal of TurtleShroom, followed by a representative of the non-denominational branch of Christianity. After this religious procession, four highly decorated soldiers come in, and they all sit down. The procession contines non-stop, with two random bureaucrat-judges, and then two lucky creatures that had recieved Titles of Nobility by the state. All of these creatures, fully dressed in whatever vestments and items the position comes with, stand two-by-two down the center aisle. leaving an open area for someone to walk down.

The pastor leads a prayer as everyone, Successor included, bow their heads. Then, as the church organ plays the national anthem, the doors open again as everyone rises.

In comes a human commonor with no power whatsoever, selected randomly, holding the Crown that the Chancellors wear. This common man- symbolic of the government's responsibility to answer to the people, listening to and protecting them -walks down the aisle with the crown. Everyone in the room fixes their eyes on this human, as he slowly carries the suprisingly lightweight (as was in the Bible) crown to the alter.

He hands the Crown to the pastor, who holds it up and blesses it. Then, he asks the Senator from the smallest congressional district to come and take the Crown from him.This is symbolic of representative democracy and how even the least of voters matter. If mushroom or human, the Senator holds it up above them, and if turtle, it is placed on his/her shell.

The Successor either bends/bows or lowers his/her neck as low as possible. As the Successor is bowing and the Senator is holding the crown, all of the clerics pull out a Bible and simultaneously recite Psalms 110:2-3, and Psalms 110:5-7, in a responsive reading format (AKA clerics one line and the audience the next), along with some Proverbs and excerpts from the Book of Amos talking about a just/righteous king and equal treatment of citizens, incorruptibility, and justice in the courts for everyone without bias. They then read some excerpts from the Gospels and Romans 13.

Finally, the Senator is instructed with a simple nod from the Pastor to slowly lower the Crown onto the Successor's head, or, if turtle, to the pastor, who helps the turtle hold the Crown in his mouth and place it on the Successor (the Pastor doesn't touch it).

At last, the Successor is coronated! Trumpets are blown and then everyone chants, in Hebrew, "GOD SAVE RULER {NAME}, HEAD {SPECIES} OF TURTLESHROOM" (no Hebrew word for Chancellor exists).

The Chancellor, now crowned, walks out of the Church and around the dead Chancellor's coffin, up to a podium to address the cheering crowd.

The new Chancellor delivers a speech similar to an inaugration address. Then, the pastor comes out with a Bible selected by the new Chancellor. Placing either one of his claws (turtle) or his cap/face/what would count as his forehead (mushroom) on the Bible, he begins to recite a covenant. This covenant is made not only between the Judeo-Christian God/Jesus and the Chancellor and the people, but also between the Chancellor and the people.

The Chancellor's Covenant wrote:"I, Chancellor {NAME}, Head {SPECIES} of the Holy Republic of TurtleShroom, hereby vow with my yes being yes and no being no, with the Lord and this crowd as my witnesses, to govern TurtleShroom with a fair hand and in agreement with my fellow Co-Chancellor, in perpetual and total adherence to the Constitution and standards of morality, never being corrupt and never stepping outside of my authorized powers. I vow to never accept bribes nor relenquish the sovereignity of the realm or endanger her people, nor to ever take drugs or alcohol, as so banned in Prohibition. I further swear to never alter an election or fix a democratic event in my favor or what I percieve as the favor of the state. I promise to be held accountable for all actions I perform in this holy office and vow to exact the will of God as His plan so dictates.

To Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I vow on my honor to uphold Your teachings in the state, to serve You by being a positive example while governing, to never make insults to You, to Your Father, to the Holy Spirit, or to Christianity, and I further promise to preserve the morality and decency outlined by our ancestors and Your Word, so that You may be seen as a guiding light to both TurtleShroomers and foreigners all over the multiverse. In all I do, I vow to excercise Your Will as You so demand, and to never compromise what is Right.

To you, the Masses, my employers, my masters, I vow on my honor to never persecute any man due to faith or lack thereof in adherence to the Constitution's freedoms. I vow on my honor to never squash protests against me, my position, or other nonviolent demonstrations agaisnt the current order or system. I vow to preserve your freedom of speech, conscience, and right to bear arms, as dictated by the Constitution. On my honor I vow to protect you from alcohol, drugs, scandals, bribes, crime, and evil. I vow to never abuse the constitutional deportation clause to exile non-violating, peaceful dissidents, nor factions I simply disagree with. If I fail these duties in my own life and rule, on my honor, may I be removed from my position and tried accordingly, barring no punishment or conviction just because of the position God has blessed me with. I vow to refrain from the sin of power abuse and the lust of control. I vow to answer to your grievances and act accordingly, and I vow to cooperate fully and completely with the democratically elected Congress, never causing harm to them and never interfering with democracy. As you have sent these creatures to advise me and curb my authority, they are also servants of the people, never servants of the Chancellor.

I vow to preserve TurtleShroom's sovereignity, existance, democracy, and stability. I vow to secure her borders, preserve her standing army, empower her citizens, never abridge her masses' right to arms, never enter the World Assembly, never disenfranchise her people, nor engage in nuclear proliferation and disarmament. I vow to answer only to the people of TurtleShroom, never bowing to any supranational governance outside of the Land of Power, and only engaging in alliances that benefit TurtleShroom mutually. I vow that any colonies maintained under my rule shall be governed justly and equally to the motherland, and that all residents of the penal colony of Liberal TurtleShroom shall have, at any time, freedom of movement to exit the archipeligo.

I make these vows in the name of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and by my honor and the People's Will.

So help me God!

Cheers follow as a mass responsive dedication occurs. The other Chancellor joins the new one in this.

Chancellor Dedication wrote:{Pastor turns to Chancellors}

Pastor: Chancellor [NAME}, duly annointed, and Incumbent, Chancellor {NAME}, will you uphold and preserve the Constitution and all laws of TurtleShroom in every manner of rule?

Pastor: Will you listen to the people and to Congress, never ignoring the cries of the citizenry and never abusing your power in any method whatsoever?

{Pastor turns to Congress, Headmasters, and any member of the public sector in attendance or the audience.}

Pastor: Now, I ask anyone serving in the public sector of TurtleShroom to stand and raise their right appendage if feasible, or to raise their necks and recite with me.

Pastor: Government members of TurtleShroom, will you be servants of the people, putting those who have chosen you, your masters, over yourself? Will you excercise your duties faithfully, honestly, and without any corruption?

Pastor: Will you solely do your duties for the interests of the Masses and for the furthering of society, productivity, and All Things Good and Decent, never abusing your power?

{Pastor turns to the military and any possible sldiers in the audience.}

Pastor: Now, I ask any creature present who is actively serving in any branch of TurtleShroom's armed forces to salute and recite with me.

Pastor: Defenders of TurtleShroom, heroes and heroines of the people, honorable servants, noble warriors... Soldiers of the TurtleShroomer Military: will you always protect TurtleShroom and her people, defending her sovereignity and giving your all, even your life if you must, for others and for your nation, so that the Masses may sleep in peace at night when they lay down their heads?

Pastor: Will you never take up arms against the government you vow to protect, nor betray the people of the country in any means? Will

{Pastor turns to the audience.}

Pastor: Now, I ask every TurtleShroomer in attendance, and any within hearing of my voice, to rise and recite with me.

Pastor: Fellow TurtleShroomers, will you live your lives lawfully, successfully, happily, and in freedom?

Pastor: Will you call out corruption among your neighbor and your government at any time?

Pastor: Will you say no to drugs, never violating the constitutional Prohibition?

Pastor: Will you never take up arms in revolution against your own sovereign, but nonetheless excercising all rights given and any grievances through peaceful means to criticize said government when it misbehaves?

{Pastor turns back to Chancellors. The old Chancellor steps aside as the pastor lays his hands on the new Chancellor.}

Pastor: People of TurtleShroom: by the power invested upon me by God's Only Son, by law, by the Constitution, and by All Things Good and Decent, I hereby present you with His Most Sober Excellency, Chancellor {NAME}, Head {SPECIES} of the Republic of TurtleShroom, Defender of the Christian Faith and of Morality, by the Grace of God. Or, in short, the new Chancellor of TurtleShroom.

{Thunderous applause, whoops and hollers, and other hick stuff of joy.}

All ceremonies done, the Chancellors are led back into the limo to go to the Chancellary building, where they officially begin governing. The funeral for the old Chancellor is then held. After all of that, flags are raised back to full staff.

TurtleShroom is under new reign.

This is quite an involved process.

Everyton
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Everyton » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:16 am

Everyton has both a head of state (the President) and a head of government (the Prime Minister). The President is elected by the National Assembly and may serve until s/he either loses an election, dies, or resigns. The Prime Minister on the other hand is directly elected by the electorate and has a strict term limit of two five year terms.

Both the President and Prime Minister take what is essentially the same oath at their inaugurations (which are held separately), it goes as follows:

In the presence of everyone assembled here, and in full realisation of the high calling I assume as President/Prime Minister of the Bohemian Paradise of Everyton, I, A.B. solemnly affirm that I will be faithful to the Bohemian Paradise of Everyton, and will obey, observe, uphold and maintain the Constitution and all other law of the Bohemian Paradise; and I solemnly and sincerely promise that I will always
* promote all that will advance the Bohemian Paradise, and oppose all that may harm it;
* protect and promote the rights of all Everytonians;
* discharge my duties with all my strength and talents to the best of my knowledge and ability and true to the dictates of my conscience; do justice to all; and
* devote myself to the well-being of the Bohemian Paradise and all its people.

I Solemnly Affirm

This oath is sworn on the Constitution of the Bohemian Paradise of Everyton and is lead by the Chief Justice, also, as religious belief is a strictly private matter in Everyton, saying "So Help Me God" is not permissible (after all, 71% of our population is non-religious). When saying "I Solemnly Affirm", the President/Prime Minister Elect raises his/her writing hand - right-handed people raise their right hand, left-handed people raise their left hand, and ambidextrous people can raise either one. A final point on the oath - official records of inaugurations carry the President/Prime Minister's ID number in brackets following his/her name: this came about after a nasty incident in which a namesake of the then Prime Minister, John O'Sullivan, took the government to court - he claimed that because the official records of O'Sullivan's inauguration carried his name on it, he was also Prime Minister. The Constitutional Court declared that this was - quite obviously - not the case, and it ruled against him in the case O'Sullivan vs O'Sullivan - however, the court suggested an amendment to the relevant laws to prevent similar cases in the future. Since then, and although the President/Prime Minister elect does not mention his/her ID number when reciting the oath, it is included in all official records.

The program for an inauguration is decided on by the President/Prime Minister Elect and there is no fixed format for it - as long as it's approved by Parliament, and as long as the oath is recited, it's an inauguration.
Last edited by Everyton on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:37 am, edited 10 times in total.
Cosmopolis of Everyton
Factbook | Policy | Constitution | Legislation
Embassy programme | News service | Accounts

"There can be only one"

A post-modern tech nation

Borszergovina
Secretary

Founded: Jul 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Borszergovina » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:47 am

A massive military parade in Bjornalu Square in the capital, Borszenagovina.
Welcome to Borszegovina!
It is currently 72.858 F.E. (Future Era)!

DEFCON: 5 4 3 2 1
Borszergovinaian Alphabet
SunsetRPG Calculator
NSEconomy
Total No. Troops: 2, 019,982
Total No. Troops on Reserve: 1, 500,000
Total No. Tanks: 1, 120, 984
Total No. Nuclear/Biological/Other Weapons: 0
Total No. Ships: 609,943
Total No. Military Aeroplanes: 307,274
Red represents the blood of the warriors that defended our nation.
The Hammer represents the workers and how much the economy values them.
The Sickle represents the military.

Nation re-founded 24/2/11

Ayla Taksidi
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayla Taksidi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:42 am

First, they must walk on the surface of the Central Aylarealm,which is water. Then they undergo a rather simple sorcery ceremony, and through that they become the next Monarch.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information