NATION

PASSWORD

[REPORT] Flaming in TSP Thread

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Stalker Queen
Envoy

Founded: Jun 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

[REPORT] Flaming in TSP Thread

Postby Stalker Queen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:28 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Aren't you the person who literally registered on our forums just to make a single post about how I should be kicked out of TSP?

Anyways, people's (and that's actually just a handful of people) problems with me have always been about what I did as MoFA, whenever I express an opposing opinion in the Assembly, or whenever I defend myself against some ridiculous charge. Never about anything I do *as an admin.* It's always about me not agreeing with their views.

Frankly, this is a game filled with people who argue without mercy and don't bother parsing their words to sound polite. The people who are actually complaining about this -- Cormac and Bel, for example -- made their names in this game by fighting with other people. So I'm really not sympathetic to hypocritical attacks on how I'm *so rude* and *so unpleasant* or a "jerk."

Cormac is a jerk. Belschaft is a jerk. So are you, too, Rach. Raven was on Discord talking about how he hates seeing my name and can't wait until the day I'm driven to quit this game.

Like seriously, shut up about it. We're all jerks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emphasis mine.
Any statements made from this nation are representative of the personal views of the player behind it, and should not be taken as the views of any region or organisation they may be part of.
Luna Amore wrote:You stalkin' too close.
Retired.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:39 pm

Within the context of the post ("we're all quite mean") I'm not reading it as a flame, particularly as "jerk" is so mild.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:56 pm

I was about to report this post, but for a different reason.

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Raven was on Discord talking about how he hates seeing my name and can't wait until the day I'm driven to quit this game.

Isn't bringing off-site drama onto the forums generally looked down upon? Shouldn't this at least be hit with a rolled-up newspaper?
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:10 am

"Off-site drama" is a vague term. It's not intended to encompass every disagreement off-site, and in fact the Gameplay forum is meant to be for discussion of certain off-site "drama" (regional elections, foreign relations, so on). We're not trying to sanitise the Gameplay forum of every disagreement, and an acknowledgement that someone dislikes you is not something I see as actionable.

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:33 pm

It it possible to appeal a ruling that something isn't actionable? Because, frankly, if I say "X is a [expletive], Y is a [expletive], and Z is a [expletive]" but then say "I'm a [expletive] too. We're all [expletives]", that is still flaming, it's just putting a really thin veil over it.

I mean, if I had realized I could get away with flaming people by just flaming myself as well, I would have started doing that years ago.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Jerk is far from an expletive.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Luna Amore wrote:Jerk is far from an expletive.

Cormac Stark wrote:It it possible to appeal a ruling that something isn't actionable? Because, frankly, if I say "X is a [name-calling], Y is a [name-calling], and Z is a [name-calling]" but then say "I'm a [name-calling] too. We're all [name-calling]", that is still flaming, it's just putting a really thin veil over it.

I mean, if I had realized I could get away with flaming people by just flaming myself as well, I would have started doing that years ago.

Fixed.

Now can his comment be addressed? I'm interested in moderation's response, because the ruling seems to be setting a precedent (whether it intends to or not).
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:47 pm

I think we've learnt that moderation re: flaming doesn't revolve around precedent, but a case-by-case evaluation around objectively-discerning meaning.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation