NATION

PASSWORD

Stately - a NationStates app for Android

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Stately - a NationStates app for Android

Postby Greater Tern » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Stately is an unofficial NationStates app for Android, available on Google Play and the Amazon Appstore.

Image Image Image


Image Image Image


Image


Features (version 1.10.0):
  • Get your nation's stats, policies, rankings and happenings.
  • Respond to issues encountered by your nation.
  • Login and switch between different nations.
  • Browse through and move to different regional communities.
  • Chat with other players and more in RMBs.
  • Observe and vote on current World Assembly resolutions.
  • Endorse nations and participate in R/D gameplay.
  • Read, manage, write and reply to telegrams.
  • Discover trends in national, regional and world census statistics.
  • Compile all your happenings together with the Activity Feed.
  • Get notified and stay up to date on new issues, telegrams and other events.
  • Make it your own: choose between five different themes and more.

Stately is an open source project! Check out the GitHub repo and make a pull request.

I've been working on this project for a while so I'd love to get your comments and feedback! If you have any questions or suggestions, post those here as well. My ultimate goal is to make all of NationStates playable on Stately, so I'll be updating the app to add more features in the future.
Last edited by Greater Tern on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 41 times in total.

User avatar
GreatestBanks
Minister
 
Posts: 3316
Founded: Mar 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby GreatestBanks » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Is there an app like this for iPhone?
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature.
Political Spectrum
Right: 0.63
Authoritarian: 2.62
Foreign Policy: 6.57(Neo-Conservative)
Culture: 7.17 (Conservative)


♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
Notice: I use NS Stats for everything other than population and GDP.

User avatar
Gregahou
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 18
Founded: Apr 14, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Gregahou » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:08 pm

GreatestBanks wrote:Is there an app like this for iPhone?
FOR:Socialism, populism, secularism, LGBT+ rights
NEUTRAL:Third-wave Feminism, communism
AGAINST:Religion, capitalism

User avatar
GreatestBanks
Minister
 
Posts: 3316
Founded: Mar 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby GreatestBanks » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm sorry if I'm rude and irrelevant with my previous post.

Anyway, this seems very neat. This is a much better system than having to open new tabs on your phone and it is much more convenient to open and stay on, at least from what it seems.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature.
Political Spectrum
Right: 0.63
Authoritarian: 2.62
Foreign Policy: 6.57(Neo-Conservative)
Culture: 7.17 (Conservative)


♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
Notice: I use NS Stats for everything other than population and GDP.

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Gregahou wrote:
GreatestBanks wrote:Is there an app like this for iPhone?


None that I'm aware of. The thing with iOS development is that it requires a MacBook, and devs need to pay Apple $100 a year just to be on the App Store, so that puts up a significant barrier to indie app devs.

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:12 pm

GreatestBanks wrote:I'm sorry if I'm rude and irrelevant with my previous post.

Anyway, this seems very neat. This is a much better system than having to open new tabs on your phone and it is much more convenient to open and stay on, at least from what it seems.


Thank you! And no offense taken haha.

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Hey everyone, I pushed a new update today. Stately 1.1.0 adds the following features:

  • Login and switch between your different nations (found under "Switch")
  • Read more posts on an RMB by swipe refreshing up (for previous messages) or down (for new messages)
  • Post on your own region's RMB
  • Vote on current WA resolutions

If you already have the app, it should be auto-updated within the next few hours. If not, you can install it from the Play Store.

On the technical side, I fixed some bugs and optimized a few things within the app. I also put in a rate limiter to prevent users from getting locked out of the NationStates API if too many requests are sent (the NationStates API has a limit of 50 requests every 30 seconds, going over that will lock you out for 15 minutes).

Feedback and suggestions are welcome! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them here too.

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7016
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:52 pm

I must say that if it works and is secure, I would be incredibly impressed. Well done!

I happen to be an iOS user, so I can't download or use it. And I will say that I wish NationStates adopted such a modern design style. Very very impressed. Yours, IA (Communiqué developer).
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Her Excellency Elsie Mortimer Wellesley PC MP
Ideological Bulwark 285

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I must say that if it works and is secure, I would be incredibly impressed. Well done!

I happen to be an iOS user, so I can't download or use it. And I will say that I wish NationStates adopted such a modern design style. Very very impressed. Yours, IA (Communiqué developer).


Thanks!

On security, the app makes all of its requests to NationStates through HTTPS. For autologin and nation switching, Stately never stores passwords -- instead, it keeps track of a nation's autologin token (which is what the actual site uses to keep you logged in). This token expires after a month or so, or when you change passwords.

User avatar
New Tuva SSR
Minister
 
Posts: 2367
Founded: Aug 31, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Tuva SSR » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Love the General Assembly feature. However, could you in 1.2.0 possibly add BBCode for the region World Factbook?
Lykens wrote:You win at life.

Senator Akhil Rajiva, Sagarmani (114)
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
I support Elizabeth Warren for United States President 2020
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.51
Pro: Democratic Socialism, direct democracy, single-payer healthcare, Green politics, Die Linke, Palestine, Paris Climate Agreement, Bernie Sanders, decentralized production
Neutral: Social democrats, the Democratic Party, Communism, 4chan, Reddit, Merkel, the EU, the UN, Obama,
Liberals (Canada)

Anti: Neoliberalism, Trump, alt-right, white supremacy, conservatism, capitalism, climate change denial, free trade, the TPP, NATO, Israel, Hamas/Hezbollah, Vladimir Putin, Narendra Modi, Stalin, dictatorship

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:35 pm

New Tuva SSR wrote:Love the General Assembly feature. However, could you in 1.2.0 possibly add BBCode for the region World Factbook?


Thanks! I enjoyed designing the WA parts of the app so that really means a lot.

Stately already supports most BBCode tags in region factbooks as well as RMB posts. I'm planning on putting in some improvements for the next release, but the current version should be working fine. Is there anything specific you'd like to see?

User avatar
Zocra
Diplomat
 
Posts: 860
Founded: Feb 21, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Zocra » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:13 am

Very fancy. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I like it so much, I'm now promoting it on United Alliances' WFE.


EDIT:I have however found a bug.
When I tap "Region" on the sidebar nav, it says "Couldn't process data from NationStates". The problem appears to be that I can't access my region no matter what, because even when I try to navigate to my region via the Explore feature it gives me the same error message. I can however navigate to other regions without an issue.

http://s18.postimg.org/pjigw2aux/Screenshot_2016_02_11_18_42_06.png
Last edited by Zocra on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by Google Bot today, edited 1 time in total. | I exist for your benefit.

Founder: United Alliances
Timezone: US Eastern

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Zocra wrote:Very fancy. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I like it so much, I'm now promoting it on United Alliances' WFE.


EDIT:I have however found a bug.
When I tap "Region" on the sidebar nav, it says "Couldn't process data from NationStates". The problem appears to be that I can't access my region no matter what, because even when I try to navigate to my region via the Explore feature it gives me the same error message. I can however navigate to other regions without an issue.

http://s18.postimg.org/pjigw2aux/Screenshot_2016_02_11_18_42_06.png


Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

It looks like the bug is caused by a NationStates API issue, specifically the part that provides data on regional polls. I've reported the issue on the NationStates API thread, so I'm hoping that gets fixed soon. Thanks for the bug report!

User avatar
Zocra
Diplomat
 
Posts: 860
Founded: Feb 21, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Zocra » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:18 pm

Greater Tern wrote:It looks like the bug is caused by a NationStates API issue, specifically the part that provides data on regional polls. I've reported the issue on the NationStates API thread, so I'm hoping that gets fixed soon. Thanks for the bug report!

You're welcome. I'm truly very excited about this app. :)

P.S. I'd definitely be willing to pay for a premium version. 8)
Last edited by Zocra on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Google Bot today, edited 1 time in total. | I exist for your benefit.

Founder: United Alliances
Timezone: US Eastern

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:15 pm

Zocra wrote:
Greater Tern wrote:It looks like the bug is caused by a NationStates API issue, specifically the part that provides data on regional polls. I've reported the issue on the NationStates API thread, so I'm hoping that gets fixed soon. Thanks for the bug report!

You're welcome. I'm truly very excited about this app. :)

P.S. I'd definitely be willing to pay for a premium version. 8)


Thanks.

[violet] fixed the API, so you should be able to open your region now. Let me know if you have any suggestions or feature requests!

User avatar
Sad-States
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 166
Founded: Oct 04, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Sad-States » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Very good work, I always love seeing new coders arise from the community.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
- | Former Officer of HR in the Rejected Realms | Former Delegate of Audax | Co-Executive of Satius | -


I no longer go by Sad-States anymore, I use Dvorak The Great now.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

User avatar
Empire of Donner land
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6181
Founded: Jun 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Empire of Donner land » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Very nice, would it be possible in the future to support posting or even browsing the forum?
Heyo.
Check us out.

The Collected Entries Of Me In A Nutshell
"Donner: A chill guy who has no chill" - Esgonia
"Everything is wrong. Everything" - URA

User avatar
New Tuva SSR
Minister
 
Posts: 2367
Founded: Aug 31, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Tuva SSR » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:01 pm

Empire of Donner land wrote:Very nice, would it be possible in the future to support posting or even browsing the forum?

Agreed.
Lykens wrote:You win at life.

Senator Akhil Rajiva, Sagarmani (114)
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
I support Elizabeth Warren for United States President 2020
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.51
Pro: Democratic Socialism, direct democracy, single-payer healthcare, Green politics, Die Linke, Palestine, Paris Climate Agreement, Bernie Sanders, decentralized production
Neutral: Social democrats, the Democratic Party, Communism, 4chan, Reddit, Merkel, the EU, the UN, Obama,
Liberals (Canada)

Anti: Neoliberalism, Trump, alt-right, white supremacy, conservatism, capitalism, climate change denial, free trade, the TPP, NATO, Israel, Hamas/Hezbollah, Vladimir Putin, Narendra Modi, Stalin, dictatorship

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Sad-States wrote:Very good work, I always love seeing new coders arise from the community.


Thanks!

Empire of Donner land wrote:Very nice, would it be possible in the future to support posting or even browsing the forum?


Unfortunately, scripts are banned on the forums (according to the Script Rules) so I'm not allowed to get data from it. I think there are other apps specifically for forums however, you can take a look at those.

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:25 am

I've pushed a new update -- Stately 1.2.1 adds the following features:

  • Activity Feed: see all your happenings in one place (Not the same as the Dossier)
  • Improved BBCode formatting, including support for [color], [spoiler], [quote] authorship and raw links
  • Material dialogs for older versions of Android
  • Bug fixes and other improvements

Feedback, suggestions, requests and concerns are always welcome!

User avatar
Skaenia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 42
Founded: Feb 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skaenia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:40 am

This is such a nice app :) I feel it would be better if it included the full functionality of the website, especially things like factbooks and telegrams. Then again, the amount I know about app building could fit on a postage stamp with room to spare, so it may not be possible, but you did ask for suggestions :)

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Skaenia wrote:This is such a nice app :) I feel it would be better if it included the full functionality of the website, especially things like factbooks and telegrams. Then again, the amount I know about app building could fit on a postage stamp with room to spare, so it may not be possible, but you did ask for suggestions :)


Thanks! I'm currently looking into nation factbooks/dispatches, but that'll probably take a while since the app needs to be able to display something like this properly on a small screen.

Telegrams appear to be off-limits outside of the actual NS site, according to the Script Rules and the API rules, so I'm not allowed to integrate them into the app. I'd love to have them if that wasn't the case though.

I'm also looking into, in no particular order, actual dossier support, moving between regions and endorsing nations in your region. Viewing and comparing census data is also on the list, but that'll probably be on hold until the new real-time stats come out. Additional updates to issues might also be needed to properly handle the new features as well.

User avatar
[violet]
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13524
Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Greater Tern wrote:Telegrams appear to be off-limits outside of the actual NS site, according to the Script Rules and the API rules, so I'm not allowed to integrate them into the app. I'd love to have them if that wasn't the case though.

We can probably make an exception for mobile apps that merely duplicate regular site functionality. That's not what the rules were written for (they exist to separate automated TG sending from human-sent). Maybe lodge a GHR with a proposal.

User avatar
Greater Tern
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:43 pm

[violet] wrote:We can probably make an exception for mobile apps that merely duplicate regular site functionality. That's not what the rules were written for (they exist to separate automated TG sending from human-sent). Maybe lodge a GHR with a proposal.

That's great to hear! Thanks [violet], I'll submit a proposal as soon as I can.

User avatar
Waspeaters
Diplomat
 
Posts: 806
Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Waspeaters » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Just had a quick flick around the app, and it looks really nice so far. Good job!
Last edited by Waspeaters on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Wenchdom

Remove ads