NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Clean Water Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Clean Water Act

Postby Embolalia » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Clean Water Act
Social Justice
Significant

RECOGNIZING the importance of access to water;

ALARMED that many water supplies may be contaminated or otherwise not potable;

SHOCKED that contamination of water supplies may be used as a military tactic;

The World Assembly hereby resolves that:

1) The intentional contamination of any water supply that may conceivably serve civilians is prohibited, for purposes military or otherwise, without exception.

2) The International Bureau of Water Safety (IBWS) shall be established, and shall:
i) Instate minimum standards for water potability and safety,
ii) Research and collect information from member states on methods for water production, purification, and conservation,
iii) Provide access to this information to all member states,
iv) Assist member states in finding and obtaining sources of water, and
v) Assist in the creation of international water sharing schemes, where such is mutually agreeable to the nations involved.

3) All nations must provide at least a minimal amount of potable water to all their citizens.
i) Such an amount shall be no less than that required for the healthy survival of the citizens.
ii) Such water must meet the minimum standards as instated by IBWS.
iii) Nations may contract such provision to administrative subdivisions, private corporations, or individuals, provided such does not impede access.
iv) Nations may charge reasonable amounts for water usage, provided such does not impede access.
v) Nations must provide subsidy, reimbursement, or other financial assistance where necessary to ensure all their citizens can afford access to a minimal amount of water.

4) Each nation may determine the following for itself, provided all other provisions of this act are met:
i) Methods for production and distribution of water,
ii) Processes and chemicals used for purification of water,
iii) Usage of chemical additives for public health, and
iv) Water usage, conservation, and rationing regulations.

5) Nations will be strongly encouraged to educate their citizens about the importance of, and methods for, water conservation.

The old one was repealed, and no replacement was ever written. I think this one is much better. I also hope I addressed the fluoride issue satisfactorily. I am, of course, open to suggestions and improvements.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:13 am, edited 13 times in total.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Just right off the bat, without having given the proposal a thorough examination, I can already see potential issues arising with clause number three. Ultimately I feel that logistically it will be next to impossible for the WAWA to ensure that every single citizen in every single member state has access to "portable water".

And, as annoying as it is, we must still consider the possibility that some of this organization's member states may be life-forms outside of our own, preconceived norms and will therefore require little if any water in order to survive.

-Sigismund Ibsen
Greenlandic Ambassador to the World Assembly
Member of ODECON
Regional Pages: Forum | Web page | Wiki Page
National Pages: Wiki | Factbook
Author of GA Resolutions: #58 | #64

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:27 pm

As one of those responsible for the repeal, our stance is "good riddance" quite frankly.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Neutonica
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Neutonica » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:43 am

Embolalia wrote:
3) All nations must provide potable water to all their citizens.
i) Such water must meet the minimum standards as instated by WAWA.
ii) Nations may contract such provision to administrative subdivisions, private corporations, or individuals, provided such does not impede access.
iii) Nations may charge reasonable amounts for water usage, provided such does not impede access.
iv) Nations must provide subsidy, reimbursement, or other financial assistance where necessary to ensure all their citizens can afford access to water.

How is this going to be done, given that water is a scarce commodity in the universe?

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:58 am

you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:05 am

I'd add a clause such as...

URGES member states to share best practices regarding the treatment, distribution, and processing of water supplies with other member states.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Aranoff
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aranoff » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:16 am

The best way to have clean water reservoirs and water systems is by privatizing water resources and allowing Corporations to own, purify, and protect water resources as it is both economical, profitable, and ecological.
Ambassador to WA: Ms. Jennifer S. Schlachter
Executive: Swenson Von Strüpengard
The Allied States of Aranoff
Aranoff Factbook

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:19 am

Aranoff wrote:The best way to have clean water reservoirs and water systems is by privatizing water resources and allowing Corporations to own, purify, and protect water resources as it is both economical, profitable, and ecological.

I would hope there is some sort of oversight. I can imagine some less ethical company putting things in the water giving people urges to buy other products of the company.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:05 am

Greenlandic People wrote:Just right off the bat, without having given the proposal a thorough examination, I can already see potential issues arising with clause number three. Ultimately I feel that logistically it will be next to impossible for the WAWA to ensure that every single citizen in every single member state has access to "portable water".

And, as annoying as it is, we must still consider the possibility that some of this organization's member states may be life-forms outside of our own, preconceived norms and will therefore require little if any water in order to survive.

-Sigismund Ibsen
Greenlandic Ambassador to the World Assembly

Just right off the bat, I never say "portable". I say "potable". It's an important letter, that r. And I suppose I could put a clause in to the effect of only requiring provision of a minimum amount of water needed to sustain life. I'll address your logistic concern later in this post.

Grays Harbor wrote:As one of those responsible for the repeal, our stance is "good riddance" quite frankly.

I said good riddance to the old proposal too. But I think this proposal tackles the issue from a completely different angle, with far more quality and far less micromanagement.

Hirota wrote:I'd add a clause such as...
URGES member states to share best practices regarding the treatment, distribution, and processing of water supplies with other member states.

I think that's covered by WAWA, but I can try to work it in.

Aranoff wrote:The best way to have clean water reservoirs and water systems is by privatizing water resources and allowing Corporations to own, purify, and protect water resources as it is both economical, profitable, and ecological.

I'm sure you think so. That's why it's expressly allowed in this proposal.

Manticore Reborn wrote:I would hope there is some sort of oversight. I can imagine some less ethical company putting things in the water giving people urges to buy other products of the company.

I think WAWA's safety guidelines cover that, but I can try to figure something in about that. (Fluoride debate, here we come!)

How is this going to be done, given that water is a scarce commodity in the universe?

One of the biggest problems with the old resolution was its micromanagement in this area. I want to avoid that as much as possible. As such, the actual method is up to the individual nation. One of the reasons WAWA is to exist is to help find solutions for places where water is scarce. I'll post more on this when I have time, but in short, water is important enough that at least a very minimum absolutely must be provided. It truly is a basic human - perhaps even animal - right.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

ANFO
Civilian

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ANFO » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 pm

I like the idea, but we need to make sure we have the money to pay for this before putting it into practice

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Edited:
2ii) Research and collect information from member states on methods for water production, purification, and conservation, and
iii) Provide access to this information to all member states.
Added:
3i) Such an amount shall be no less than that required for the healthy survival of the citizens.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 pm

I have a few concerns with the current draft:

Embolalia wrote:3) All nations must provide at least a minimal amount of potable water to all their citizens.

Some nations may not be able to provide such amounts to their citizens - notably if they are landlocked and without a natural water resource. Further, more impoverished nations may not have access to various innovations with regards to water. These might include things such as rain collection and purification systems, a mechanism for regulating/enforcing water conservation, etc.

I believe the proposal would be improved by speaking about methods of obtaining water, if surface water is not available, and the sharing of such methods within the WA. I also believe that educating citizens on the importance of water conservation (and reserving the right of individual nations to ration water usage/availability - provided that citizen health is not in danger) might be a useful addition.

Embolalia wrote:v) Nations must provide subsidy, reimbursement, or other financial assistance where necessary to ensure all their citizens can afford access to water.

Further re-iterating that citizens are only entitled to have enough water for survival might be useful with regards to this clause.

Also, this might just be me (and/or this may be intentional) but "WAWA" makes me think of babies going "wah-wah" - whether crying or trying to say water. Might I suggest something along the lines of the International Water Association (or IWA)? (I'm sorry, but WAWA makes me wince, personally.)

Best of luck!
Ambassador Lizzy Hall
Leader of the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Also, this might just be me (and/or this may be intentional) but "WAWA" makes me think of babies going "wah-wah" - whether crying or trying to say water. Might I suggest something along the lines of the International Water Association (or IWA)? (I'm sorry, but WAWA makes me wince, personally.)

It was intentional. At least I didn't call it the Effective Management Bureau Of Liquid Assets and Liquid Infrastructure Apportionment. I would never do something like that. *Tries to shoot a disapproving glare at the ambassador from Unibot, only to see that nation hasn't chimed in here yet...* I'm being intentionally vague about specific methods, because it would be impossible to directly address each method of water production, especially given the differences in tech levels.

A few edits have been made.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005

Postby The Palentine » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Manticore Reborn wrote:

I would hope there is some sort of oversight. I can imagine some less ethical company putting things in the water giving people urges to buy other products of the company.

Hmm..that gives me an idea.
giggles evilly
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Would it be a good idea to let member states help others in the provision of water? Such provision could pave way for an informal "international water grid" in order to cut water shortages, but it is true that water conservation has some potential here.

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Would it be a good idea to let member states help others in the provision of water? Such provision could pave way for an informal "international water grid" in order to cut water shortages, but it is true that water conservation has some potential here.

Added:
2v) Assist in the creation of international water sharing schemes, where such is mutually agreeable to the nations involved.
Last edited by Embolalia on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Submitted bump.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Looks like it's going to narrowly miss quorum. Not bad, considering the fact that I did absolutely no TGing on this. I plan to resubmit on Saturday. (Unless 9 delegates appear in the next 4 hours and it reaches quorum)
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Syrrinx
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Syrrinx » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:54 pm

I suppose that all nations that can already supply clean water already do. Why does the WA need to jump in and tell them to do so? This doesn't even seem like it would be a WA issue, more of a local issue. This whole thing seems unnecessary.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Also, this might just be me (and/or this may be intentional) but "WAWA" makes me think of babies going "wah-wah" - whether crying or trying to say water. Might I suggest something along the lines of the International Water Association (or IWA)? (I'm sorry, but WAWA makes me wince, personally.)

Best of luck!
Ambassador Lizzy Hall
Leader of the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island

I am in total agreement. Please let the name be changed. Otherwise I will be forced to vote against it, and that would be sad.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:31 am

Oi! I seem to remember working on the old one, thank you very much!

.... this one's kind of better though. >.>

I'll give it a more thorough look in the morning, but PLEASE change the name... I'm begging you. I refuse to contribute Symbolic Coins to an organization known as "WAWA", no matter how useful it may be. Every time I hear it, I think something's trying to breastfeed. O.o
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:55 am

Syrrinx wrote:I suppose that all nations that can already supply clean water already do. Why does the WA need to jump in and tell them to do so? This doesn't even seem like it would be a WA issue, more of a local issue. This whole thing seems unnecessary.
Because this proposal would prevent spoiling water supplies as a military strategy, would assist member states to help realise their obligations to supply their population, and because the right to clean water is a fundamental right essential to the realisation of all other rights.
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Syrrinx
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Syrrinx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 am

Hirota wrote:
Syrrinx wrote:I suppose that all nations that can already supply clean water already do. Why does the WA need to jump in and tell them to do so? This doesn't even seem like it would be a WA issue, more of a local issue. This whole thing seems unnecessary.
Because this proposal would prevent spoiling water supplies as a military strategy, would assist member states to help realise their obligations to supply their population, and because the right to clean water is a fundamental right essential to the realisation of all other rights.

I see this as a legitamite tactic.
If a nation doesn't already supply clean water then it because it is either intentionally trying to kill it's people or it is simply impossible. Or it is dumb.
Yea, I guess having clean water is important. But I'm still opposed to this Act.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:46 am

Syrrinx wrote:I see this as a legitamite tactic.
Shocking, I should have known a nation as petty and barbaric as yours would see it is legitamite (sic).
But I'm still opposed to this Act.
It's a jolly good thing that nobody really thinks your government is really worth worrying about then isn't it.
Last edited by Hirota on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Syrrinx
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Syrrinx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 am

Hirota wrote:
Syrrinx wrote:I see this as a legitamite tactic.
Shocking, I should have known a nation as petty and barbaric as yours would see it is legitamite (sic).
But I'm still opposed to this Act.
It's a jolly good thing that nobody really thinks your government is really worth worrying about then isn't it.

I'm just being realistic. Just because you pass a law to stop terrible things, like poisoning water supplies, to be illegal, doesn't mean that men already evil enough to do it will stop doing it. I am definitly opposed to this tactic, but making it illegal isn't going to do anything.
Yea, super jolly.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives