NATION

PASSWORD

Neutral Ground - an Open Discussion Thread

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:2 minutes ago: The King of Hileville added a dispatch.
3 minutes ago: The Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes departed this region for The Rejected Realms.
3 minutes ago: The King of Hileville ejected and banned The Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes from the region.
3 minutes ago: The Federated Islands of Sandaoguo departed this region for The Rejected Realms.
3 minutes ago: The King of Hileville ejected and banned The Federated Islands of Sandaoguo from the region.
3 minutes ago: The Republic of Kringalia departed this region for The Rejected Realms.
3 minutes ago: The Undead Holy Blue Zombie of SJS Republic ejected and banned The Republic of Kringalia from the region.

And so the next GP mess comes to a head....

/me grabs popcorn and calls Durk.

Wait...If Glen and Kringalia were banjected, and there was no message on either of their National Happenings that said they were unbanned, then how are they both in TSP right now?

Well, I see two options:

1) [violet] rode in on a golden bookshelf filled with Max's books, summarily reversed the coup by giving Hile's nation to Bel, and used magic admin powers to move nations back into the region, or...

2) By some quark or factor of the particular method used, the action simply didn't appear not-entirely-reliable nation/region happenings.

Take your pick.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Dalimbar
Envoy

Founded: Jul 19, 2004
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dalimbar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:06 pm

Icecream Princess wrote:Durk is already there. His nation is Hileville. #EmpireStrikesBack

I kid of course, he has a much more vanilla nation there.

I seriously want to use that hashtag next time we actually do something :P
Dalimbar,
Delegate / Pharaoh (Ret.) of Osiris
Delegate (Ret.) of The North Pacific
Guardian (Ret.) of The West Pacific
Member of the Ex-Feeder Tyrant Club
Escade - @Dali how many husbands do you have and why do you take the bestest ones
Dali -1. Who knows. 2. Because I am a scoundrel.
---
Ark - He shows off some obscure but tasteful art, features smoking heavily, and is ironically more popular now than when he was published
---
Comrade Senator Marina - Dali is the most fabulous man alive and the bane of all uncouped regions

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:10 pm

Dalimbar wrote:
Icecream Princess wrote:Durk is already there. His nation is Hileville. #EmpireStrikesBack

I kid of course, he has a much more vanilla nation there.

I seriously want to use that hashtag next time we actually do something :P

I was going to comment on how awesome that was, but I figured it was an old thing, not something made up on the spot. If I was wrong, well, either way, I laughed!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Happiness is a Lie
Civilian

Founded: Jan 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Happiness is a Lie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:10 am

Not sure if any of the developers are listening but does anyone else feel that issues should have more options? I keep getting issues with only two options both at extreme ends of the spectrum. I end up having to choose the one thats the least terrible instead of the one that actually benefits me. Just food for thought

Icecream Princess
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Icecream Princess » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:12 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:
Dalimbar wrote:I seriously want to use that hashtag next time we actually do something :P

I was going to comment on how awesome that was, but I figured it was an old thing, not something made up on the spot. If I was wrong, well, either way, I laughed!

Never doubt my brilliance ;)

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:34 am

Icecream Princess wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:

Never doubt my brilliance ;)

We used "The Empire Strikes Out" during the OFO coup :P
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 am

Happiness is a Lie wrote:Not sure if any of the developers are listening but does anyone else feel that issues should have more options? I keep getting issues with only two options both at extreme ends of the spectrum. I end up having to choose the one thats the least terrible instead of the one that actually benefits me. Just food for thought

It's actually official policy that no issue should have an obvious "best" answer.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:11 am

Wake up! Where's the Codge?
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:39 am

Just essentially closed down Asgard. Again. :P

Building and maintaining a user-created gameplay region is obscenely difficult these days, especially without a large group of existing gameplayers taking an active interest.

Numero Capitan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 27, 2007
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Numero Capitan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:20 am

Cormac Stark wrote:Just essentially closed down Asgard. Again. :P

Building and maintaining a user-created gameplay region is obscenely difficult these days, especially without a large group of existing gameplayers taking an active interest.

Sorry to hear that, its a very saturated market :(
Minister of Defense, 00000 A World Power
Minister of Intelligence, FRA
Potato General
Senator and Attorney General, Europeia
Minister of Security and Minister of Justice, The South Pacific
Minister of War, Fidelia
Royal Council, The Last Kingdom
Crown Prince, Unknown and The Brotherhood of Blood
Delegate, REDACTED
REDACTED and REDACTED, REDACTED
REDACTED, REDACTED REDACTED
REDACTED, dont be nosey

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:22 am

Been there before. A few times. I think we suffer from going into these projects with an idea of where we see the region in 6 months rather than letting the community unfold organically. Its like going into uncharted territory and trying to enforce the European State Model.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:38 pm

You know the old saying.

"You make plans, and then NationStates fucks them up."

.. yes, that is the old saying!
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Uh, not really. I maintain a region where I am the oldest GPer and it's quite active with a large community. Not even a year old yet and it's more active than older regions.

You don't need a bunch of old GPers to create a community, there are plenty of new players out there that are willing to participate and learn if you provide the means for them to do it in a fun way, with as little rules/regulations as possible.

Part of the problem these days. No one reaches out to the newer players, they just expect the newer players to reach out to them.

Cormac Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac Stark » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:20 pm

King Nephmir II wrote:Uh, not really. I maintain a region where I am the oldest GPer and it's quite active with a large community. Not even a year old yet and it's more active than older regions.

You don't need a bunch of old GPers to create a community, there are plenty of new players out there that are willing to participate and learn if you provide the means for them to do it in a fun way, with as little rules/regulations as possible.

Part of the problem these days. No one reaches out to the newer players, they just expect the newer players to reach out to them.

For every success story like Auralia's there are about ten stories of regions never getting off the ground or failing though. Note that I didn't say it was impossible to build and maintain a gameplay UCR without a large group of existing gameplayers, only that it had become much more difficult. In 2012 when I first founded Asgard, if you were willing to put the time and effort into recruiting, you could usually do a pretty good job of building and maintaining a region. That has changed with automated recruitment.

Frankly, Asgard did reach out to our newer players when we rebooted a few months ago, and for the most part they weren't interested. I couldn't get them onto the forum, so we got rid of the forum and tried to make in-game activity work, and that didn't work either. Granted, I gave up long before officially calling it quits this morning, but there was an honest effort to get newer players interested and it yielded no results.

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:00 pm

Cormac Stark wrote:
King Nephmir II wrote:Uh, not really. I maintain a region where I am the oldest GPer and it's quite active with a large community. Not even a year old yet and it's more active than older regions.

For every success story like Auralia's there are about ten stories of regions never getting off the ground or failing though. Note that I didn't say it was impossible to build and maintain a gameplay UCR without a large group of existing gameplayers, only that it had become much more difficult. In 2012 when I first founded Asgard, if you were willing to put the time and effort into recruiting, you could usually do a pretty good job of building and maintaining a region. That has changed with automated recruitment.

Frankly, Asgard did reach out to our newer players when we rebooted a few months ago, and for the most part they weren't interested. I couldn't get them onto the forum, so we got rid of the forum and tried to make in-game activity work, and that didn't work either. Granted, I gave up long before officially calling it quits this morning, but there was an honest effort to get newer players interested and it yielded no results.

Ah I see. I do agree with you on the recruitment issues, though; they are in desperate need of a revamp, or a new system altogether.

CreepyCut
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby CreepyCut » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Interesting.
-{Ash Rosekastell, founder and King of Insanity and Flowers in Asylum}-

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:39 pm

CreepyCut wrote:Interesting.

Outer Resting

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Icecream Princess
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Icecream Princess » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:22 am

I wish we could return to the system before scripts & stamps :(

Pierconium
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:18 am

Icecream Princess wrote:I wish we could return to the system before scripts & stamps :(

And Influence.

And Founders.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

Frattastan II
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan II » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:23 am

And ejections.
Rejected Realms Army High Commander
(So you've been ejected..., forum, news, RRA)
<@Guy> well done, fuckhead.
* @Guy claps for frattastan

Xoriet
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:23 am

Pierconium wrote:
Icecream Princess wrote:I wish we could return to the system before scripts & stamps :(

And Influence.

And Founders.

I'm terrified to see what would happen in a coup with no influence, Ivan. :p

I'd be happy to skip influence decay though.
Senator of Diplomatic Affairs of the New Pacific Order

This flame we carry into battle
A fading memory
This light will conquer the darkness
Shining bright for all to see

Pierconium
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:43 am

Xoriet wrote:
Pierconium wrote:And Influence.

And Founders.

I'm terrified to see what would happen in a coup with no influence, Ivan. :p

I'd be happy to skip influence decay though.

It gets boring.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

Libetarian Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 02, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Libetarian Republics » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:48 am

Frattastan II wrote:And ejections.

The introduction of ejections gave birth to our region.

Frattastan II
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan II » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:57 am

Libetarian Republics wrote:
Frattastan II wrote:And ejections.

The introduction of ejections gave birth to our region.

Pft, without ejections all regions could be RR-like.
And we could finally restore the unity/oneness of Rejects with the rest of the World!
Rejected Realms Army High Commander
(So you've been ejected..., forum, news, RRA)
<@Guy> well done, fuckhead.
* @Guy claps for frattastan

Pierconium
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:02 am

Frattastan II wrote:
Libetarian Republics wrote:The introduction of ejections gave birth to our region.

Pft, without ejections all regions could be RR-like.
And we could finally restore the unity/oneness of Rejects with the rest of the World!

Without ejections we would all have to suffer the moralists and Nazis. And yes, I just equated the two in a NationStates context.
Tyrant (Ret.)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay