NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup of Hockey XXIX Everything Thread (IC)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:56 pm

The Taegukgi

Soo Myeon Kim wins the Duquez, Park the Wiechkowski Crown
Marian Sonier

QUEBEC CITY, CAPITALE-NATIONALE- Men's hockey star Soo Myeon Kim and Women's fencing sensation Isabelle Park was named the winner of the 2020 Leonard Duquez and Dana Wiechkowski Award on Friday.

People's Pick

In what was a very close choice in both runnings, Kim and Park were selected as the Quebecois Men's and Women's athlete of the year by QBCSports.que readers in the People's Pick poll, as the Friday Sports Night host and former Koreana volleyball legend Cam Wilson announced last Friday night.

231,880 votes were casted for Duquez Award, with Kim receiving 70,500 votes, marathoner Terry Shiner-Snowsnake receiving 58,230 votes and handballer Kyeong Shin Park rounding out the top three with 48,150. For Wiechkowski Award, 235,819 votes were casted, with considerably more challenging race: Park's 61,547 votes were closely followed by volleyballer Naloe Miro's 57,793 votes and hockey star Daria Nedalekova 52,311 votes.

Both athletes, though on sports far different from each other, were otherworldly in their international and domestic achievements. The 31-year old Kim led the Attawapiskat Avalanche to the Prenneau Cup, scoring 59 goals and 148 points in regular season to break 5 records to win 4 QHL awards. The smooth-skating, jack-of-all-trades centreman is currently leading the league in scoring and tops the scoring for the Avalanche with 39 goals and 92 points in 58 games this season.

The 24-year old Park, meanwhile, won 2 fencing gold medals in last year's olympics held in Nassau Bay and Centralis, Rushmore, where she stormed to assert Quebecois dominance of sabre in international stage. The Halifax, Acadie, native had 7 (3 individual, 4 team) QIS championship medals, 3 NCC (Northern Calanian Cups) titles and 2 commonwealth championship titles for Quebec.

"It is a pure surprise and a joy," Park said on a telephone call following the announcement. "I can't believe, first of all, the year me and my teammates had. And to have this last in an award, it's incredible, as your recipient of the Wiechkowski Award."

The honours - decided by a panel of national sports editors, reporters and broadcasters - are given annually to Quebec's most outstanding male and female athlete by the Taegukgui.

Other finalists for the Duquez and Wiechkowski Awards were Pulkkinen brothers (Weightlifting), Trenton Hyun (Gridiron Football), Zachary Fortin (Association Football), Deborah Gervais-Chouinard (Figure Skating), Carla Valladares (Wrestling) and Hazel Van Robben (Association Football).

Isabelle Park was one of 6 Quebecois flag-bearers at the closing ceremonies in Nassau Bay, with Miro and K.S. Park among her partners for the final lap. According to the Royal Quebecois Athletic Association, this was the toughest vote being done for its 58-year history.

Credit to the coaches

Like usual, the award-winning athletes made their praises and credits towards their coaches. Both Park and Kim said their coaches deserves plenty of credit and congratulations.

"I would like to give the strongest of my thanks to Coach [Guy Aronnax] for my time here," he said. "He had me keep on working for improving and motivating my game so I can keep on top of the track. Everyday we learn new things with him on practice and games and for that I'm grateful to be playing for the Avalanche."

"I'd like to thank both Jorge Morattan and William Yi for years I've spent under their tutelage," she said. "I can only thank them more and more for the success I've achieved, because they were really there for me to achieve success and land me where I am right now."

Testimonials

"Kim's what we would now consider as a superstar. Dynamic, talented and tough, Kim's one of few athletes who truly captivated a newer generation of hockey players and his passion and class really brought the country to deserving praise of him. He, long down the road, could be considered one of the best Quebecois to ever have played the game." - Mario Dutoit-Chang, Journalist with Gaspe Prospector -

"Isabelle Park's the guiding light and pioneer of women's sabre in Quebec for last few years. Sabre is still not a common branch of fencing taken up by women, and that's mostly because there hasn't been that many stars out there to really motivate the girls to take up Sabre instead of Fleuret or Epee. With her gold medal victory and Irina Scherban's rise to the top of the crop, hopefully we'll see the rise of women's Sabre in Quebec." - Ion Ionescu, Secretary of Royal Quebec Fencing Federation."

"The transition of the game-defining superstars has not gone the smoothest way in last few years and Kim's really the remedy they were able to find. The surprising thing with it is that Kim's been able to sustain his achievements and even improve his game even as his career enters into 30s. A true successor to Hindmarsh Yoon's finally found." - Jean-Andre Martinsen, Attawapiskat Star -

Kim's 512 domestic goals is currently 2nd all-time behind Colm Strojovic (579) and puts him on a pace to be 2nd all time in history (assuming he retires in 10 years' time), right behind the legendary Hindmarsh Yoon who's currently leading the list with.

With the Quebecois National Team on semifinals of this World Cup of Hockey, he may finally have a chance to go for the MVP award that has long eluded him in the international level; Lucien Ryu was awarded the MVP back in the glorious edition of World Cup of Hockey 26 that had the Ice Knights overcome a 0-2 deficit to win it in final game of the tournament.

Gridironer Sid Eikman and handballer Elisabeth "Ellie" Tanguay took the honours last year.

The awards are named after the historic duo of Taegukgi-to-QBC broadcasters who has served both organisations for record 44 years as partners (Duquez: 1912-1948; Wiechkowski: 1917-1956).

Semifinals, Game 1 Cutoff

Tonight the final four begins, and everybody's screaming out yeah, yeah, yeah!

Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Semifinals, Game 1 Results

Valanora 2–0 Gregoryisgodistan
Royal Kingdom of Quebec 1-4 Elejamie (scorinated by Neu Engollon)
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:44 am

OOC: I do advocate death penalty for most horrifying and unforgivable of crimes IRL, and that reflects very well on Quebecois policy on execution. Please take note of this when reading it. If you're not of right state nor interest to read this, please don't.

The Taegukgi

Royal Kingdom of Quebec carries out first execution in 20 days, after a key announcement

Darren Woo-Goh

CHICOUTIMI, SAGUENAY- Right before the World Cup of Hockey series opener between Gregoryisgodistan and Valanora, a Saguenayan inmate was executed last night, making him the first inmate to be executed in the nation in last 20 days.

In front of an enthusiastic, capacity crowd at Soongookseonyeol Centre, Chicoutimi, Jean-Philippe Mongeau was killed at 19:35 by Lingchi for 48 minutes, according to the reporters and local fans who witnessed it. The process took particularly long, because of the very unique nature involving this style of execution. The last words of the criminal was not reported, and the officials with the Saguenay Department of Justice could not be reached.

It took 7 years after he was sentenced to death, because of the sheer nature of executing such a criminal. According to court records, Mongeau was convicted of killing Yinwe Xu in November, 2012. Xu was found murdered in a brutal fashion at a motel near Shawinigan, Mauricie, on the very dawn by a high school teenager on his way to a high school football practice. This immediately led to then 15-year old to call the RQMP, who then traced the evidences to the 37-year old; Mongeau was found in his hotel room and was arrested with 1,093 grams of cocaine and her wallet, the records stated.

While the initial investigation focused on his drug possession and murder, the subsequent series of investigation and trials went on to find that Mongeau was responsible for extorting over 20 underaged women to be sex workers. This finding, as well as Xu's death after her near-successful attempt of escaping her captor, has led to over 41 charges including 4 crimes against the Quebecois State, qualifying him for a vote on public execution by the committee. Shortly after found guilty, the 39-people citizen committee unanimously voted to execute Mongeau.

Mongeau is the first inmate put to death by Quebec since January 20, 2021, when Jason Azavedos, 56, and Ariana Azavedos, 58, was brought to the centre-field and, after 5 years of waiting, executed for 23 charges with the kidnapping of Diane Casey. Both executions, first and second ever to be held right before a sports game, was wildly celebrated by the Quebecois contingent well present in both games.

WCoH: Two more executions to be held tonight ahead of Game 2 matches

Justice-Martine Corelli

QUEBEC CITY, CAPITALE-NATIONALE- If you're a foreign fan who just happens to be watching a WCoH game and not a huge proponent of death sentence, remember to turn your TV off until the referee makes that first whistle.

The Imperial Government has announced that there will be two more executions happening ahead of tonight's World Cup of Hockey matches- both expected to be close bouts between historic rivals. Both ceremonies, with national anthem singers and excitement-driven choruses, are expected to be among the "finest....and longest" of execution ceremonies, according to an insider involved with the ministry.

Royal Kingdom of Quebec, one of few nations of its calibre to still practice execution in international world, has executed 3 prisoners on 2020 so far. The state has killed 44 prisoners in 22 executions last year, and with the long list ahead this year, is on pace to top this-century record of 75 criminals in 38 executions all the way back to 2009.

The prisoners, involved in 2 of the most horrifying cases in last quarter-century, are the latest 14 to be received execution in Royal Kingdom of Quebec. The more infamous of 2 cases, as well known, is to be paid with right price of justice in front of local fans at Montreal Forum while the less infamous of the two will be held in Gregoryisgodistan-Valanora match @ Soongookseonyeol Centre under the careful supervision of pervert chasers and local constables.

The 13-person Hanson family, led by the Georges Satana Hanson, was convicted of conspiring and acting to murder 14 people in 3 separate events on August 8, 2014. The case, considered the most disturbing of cases by Winnipeg police chief Mason Crowder, was concluded in a 10 minute trial with the 14 people receiving over 207 charges all eligible for execution. However, further torturing of the prisoners was requested by the inmates and prison guards of the Cheongsong Penitentiary Centre, causing delay of the execution by 5 years.

Their execution, which has received over 271 requests by the victims' relatives, local fans, advocates and even several members of the hockey community to participate, was agreed to be held and performed by public members who have requested their methods of making it a long, painful execution expected to last for many hours before the actual game starts. No details for how it'll work out has released yet, though it is expected to be in the Greggy style but with rage and fury brought by hundreds of citizens in line to execute.

Xavier Cole, another of the criminals to be executed on a good day for Quebecois present in the arena, is no less of a devil either. Cole, who's found guilty of over 89 charges of kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, forced confinement, embezzlement of imperial tax money (one of the victims' parents, a public servant, was unable to pay taxes for 20 months because of financial troubles brought by the ransom) and crimes against the Quebecois State. He will be executed on a Lingchi ceremony expecting to last for 48 minutes, with the victims' loved ones hopefully aided by the Gregoryisgodistani pervert chasers and their head coach, a horse beater.

The past two years' sharp rise in executions has occurred under the Jacques IX and Prime Minister Balmas, who took over rule in the nation following a great victory made by the execution-happy Greens in Nov 2018. This was more noticeable on a specific period-to-period basis: 24 people were executed in the space of 5 days in December 2018, and total numbers for both 2019 and 2020 were the 2 highest in last 25 years.

Activists and human rights organizations haven't been able to pin down a specific cause for this boom, according to parliamentarian Ji Yong Yu.

While Royal Kingdom of Quebec's laws are very lax in most departments such as recreational marijuana consumption, its harsh laws in sex crime, murder, trafficking and crimes against state (OOC: cases too horrible to be deemed forgivable by public is considered crimes against state) allow for death penalty for a wide range of crimes, with public firing squad while burning in stake (Editor's Note: since there's no such thing as private execution in Quebec) being the most common method of killing. The majority of Quebec's executions stem from murder and sex-related crimes -- 49 of the 71 people killed in 2020 were convicted of sex crimes of violent, nonconsensual nature both in and out of Quebecois soil, according to Royal Justice Foundation.

The Quebecois Government has yet to respond on a request for more information regarding the executions.

Testimonials regarding the executions

"Scums of the society deserve torture and beating to the death. I'm ready to partake in the ceremony tonight."
- Yves Jodoin, Team Quebec and Winnipeg Giants defenceman -

"Thank you to all those who serve for the justice. Your pain, sweat and efforts will be paid."
- Mason Crowder, Winnipeg Police Chief, on media conference -

"To those who goes against death sentence, I will ask you one thing. If something like this happened to any of your loved ones and you advocate for forgiving the criminal by letting one stay in jail to rot away in good conditions, you're a true scum. They deserve rightful punishment and we cannot deny our people from it.
- Andrea Chun, Sergeant, Royal Quebecois Forces-
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:03 am, edited 7 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Elejamie
Senator

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:56 pm

"... John Daverson now with the news about that big first semi-final. John?"

That's right, Steve. Good morning, Elejamie! Last night, Elejamie managed to cause ripples throughout the hockey world as they beat Quebec 4-1 in Montreal. The Icy Elephants, who were travelling outside of Sherbrooke for the first time this tournament, were the underdogs going into their match against the hosts, who were the favourites. However, the Ice Knights showed signs of struggle in their quarter final series against Ontorisa, which Elejamie used to their advantage. Also, Bill Judge made his second start of the tournament, replacing Aaron Andrews on line three. Here are the highlights:

The first period saw Quebec very nearly take an early lead, as Rodolphe Gong's wrist shot was easily caught by Antonio Cervantes; after the face-off, a second attempt on goal was waved off when, after he crashed into Cervantes, Gong was sent to the box for two minutes for goaltender interference. Even when they were down a player - and, less than a minute later, down another as Yves Jodoin duked it out with Francisco Solano - Quebec managed to hold on, even. However, it was Elejamie who managed to score first as, just over nine minutes in, James Han managed to get tuck the puck in the back of the net, thanks to a snap shot and assistance from Pael Atenar and Adam Keane. Although Quebec got another great chance later on as, five minutes from time, Ethan Swinburne was given a two minute minor for slashing, they were unable to to do anything with it and, at the end of the first period, Elejamie were leading 1-0.

The second period was a slight improvement, as Anatoly Kasputin managed to double the lead one and a half minutes after the start, with a slap shot on the breakaway and assistance from teammates Cerin Meloten and Adam Keane. Although a second fight - this time between Bill Judge and Maxwell Belmont-Deschamps - broke out a few minutes later, it wasn't really enough to excite the home crowd. Fortunately for them, they managed to pull one back. Just under six and a half minutes before the end, Mike Cruickshank received a two minute minor for high-sticking Anthony Mantha; as a result, Quebec managed to get one back on the powerplay, with Dave Clark netting it with a backhander and Sylvain Turcotte and Ian Blanc-Laperriere assisting him. Eventually, the period ended 2-1 to Elejamie; while the Icy Elephants tried their hardest to keep their lead, the Ice Knights were trying to take it.

The third period was where all the magic happened. Three and a half minutes after the start of the match, Lucas Madgwick made it 3-1, assisted by Greg Warren and Paul Morton. Nine minutes from time, a fight broke out between George Lincoln and Dan Passmore. However, this didn't really put a dampener on things as, shortly afterwards, Cerin Meloten's unassisted wrist shot made it 4-1. Eventually, with a minute to go, Quebecois coach Philip Woodcock decided to take off Marc McDonald. Although Elejamie now had the advantage, Quebec very nearly made it 4-2, with Dave Clark's attempted double was saved. Despite that, Elejamie took game one 4-1, with high hopes going into game two.

In a post-match interview, head coach Michael Madgwick said "I don't really have much to say about Quebec's performance. They had a tough time on the ice, probably because Ontorisa might've tired them out or something like that. At least there's tomorrow night.

Franny, Judge and George had good fights tonight. James, Anatoly, Lucas and Cerin scored some excellent goals. Despite letting that one in, Toni did a great job in goal. Overall, a good job all round."

"Do you think you'll take this series?"

"Yes. No doubt about it. I mean, don't get me wrong, Novaya Zemlya managed to make it 4-1 against Valanora before they got dropped in their next games 6-4 and 3-0. Since I don't want to sound like I'm gloating, I am going to say that Quebec will bounce back and the score will be close, but I don't think it'll trouble us anytime soon."

Meanwhile, in Chicoutimi, reigning champions Valanora managed to turn the tables on their rivals as they managed to shut Gregoryisgodistan out for a change, thanks to a 2-0 victory. Tonight, we'll see game two of both series. Will the Ice Knights be able to avenge their horrific loss? Or will the Ice Elephants keep their winning streak going? Will the Calcuttas make it two finals in a row? Or will the Ice Slaves finally managed to beat the elves? Find out tonight on Puck Drop, 9pm, ETV1.

Period			P1	P2	P3	FS
Quebec 0 1 0 1
Elejamie 1 1 2 4
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

OOC: Miserable opinionated hipster.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Semifinals, Game 1 Cutoff

This cutoff is brought to you by Pervert Chasers Union, cutting off in precision over Quebecois Soil since 2018.

Gregoryisgodistan 1–0 Valanora
Series tied, 1-1

Royal Kingdom of Quebec 3-3 Elejamie (3-4 OT- Scorinated by 95X)
Elejamie wins the series, 2-0
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Ice Slaves One Win Away From Championship Series

The Ice Slaves, the national ice hockey team of Gregoryisgodistan, is one win away from the World Cup of Hockey Championship Series after a 1-0 win over the Little Wittle Elfy Elves of Valanora yesterday. The Ice Slaves won 1-0 thanks to a second period goal by Enemy Crusher Ronald Fatgoat, which sent the fans into a fury and led to the Enemy Crushers run into the stands and crush some random Quebecois fans who were chanting a certain forbidden fruity word which means the same as xylocarp as well as crushing a sapient xylocarp who made the journey from Xylocarpstan.

After the game, the Ice Slaves celebrated their big win by burning Vanoran flags and stuffed elves on center ice. They also threw in Dumpy O'Rumpy dolls, mannequins, and statues as well as Elejamie flags and dolls of their entire ice hockey team to celebrate who they would beat next. They also burned Holy Bibles and flags of Saintland while singing songs of praise to Fatululu, Abelino Greece, and Feministvs Sanctvsterra. They also burned some xylocarps, both non-sapient normal ones and a few sapient ones which they kidnapped. It was so incredibly awesome. They also took the old Queen Margaret I costume that was used during the Slaves R Us Leaders Race at a soccer match and burned that, as a slave wore the costume and ran into the fire, burning alive in the costume. That was awesome too.

Then the Ice Slaves sang a song threatening Dumpy O'Rumpy, Evil Dictator of the Free Republics, to the tune of "Our Great Gregory"

We will destroy Dumpy O'Rumpy
He's the worst one of his nation
Assassinate him and destroy him
We'll slice, we'll slice him up, with the Brownie Cutter

Dumpy O'Rumpy is a heathen
His head will roll off his body
He represents the Church of Saintland
His IQ is very small, he's Dumpy O'Rumpy

And each of us will help kill Dumpy
Pervert Chasers to Enemy Crushes
All of us will execute him
We'll help, We all will help
Kill Dumpy O'Rumpy
We will destroy Dumpy O'Rumpy

Then the team unveiled a giant, lifelike statue of Dumpy O'Rumpy, which they sliced with the Brownie Cutter of Death. Then a slave came out dressed as Dumpy O'Rumpy and was executed with the Brownie Cutter of Death right there on the ice and thrown into the fire. Then the Quebecois stadium maintenance crew tried to put out the fire but they all were crushed by the Enemy Crushers and thrown into the fire. Then the Enemy Crushers threw a gallon of gasoline onto the fire while the entire team wore flameproof suits. The flames burnt everyone still in the stands to a crisp before being extinguished by the sprinkler system. The Gregoryisgodistani fans in attendance were saved because the team slaves gave them flame resistant suits. Unfortunately, the slaves died. Then the Enemy Crushers and the rest of the team sliced the dead people with the Brownie Cutter of Death, one by one, and left their bodies there for night maintenance to find since day maintenance was dead.

Then the team went home to prepare for Game 3.
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:18 pm

" For game two of the semi-finals, we go over to John Daverson. John?"

That's right, Steve. Good morning, Elejamie! Elejamie are now into the World Cup of Hockey finals after a fight-filled match that very nearly ended with the Icy Elephants getting their first loss of the tournament. Before the match, coach Michael Madgwick made two changes: Bill Judge replaced Aaron Andrews for the second game in a row, whereas Mike Keller took over for James Han on line three. Logan Guthrie, Quebec's most well known fighter, also made a start, replacing Thomas Clovius on line one. Here are the highlights:

The first period saw Quebec open up the scoring with a snap shot from captain Dave Clark, assisted by line-mate Logan Guthrie and Stanislav Markov. However, shortly afterwards, Francisco Solano and Guthrie engaged in a brawl. Although it was eventually broken up by the linesmen, it wasn't going to be their first battle on the ice. Less than half a minute later, on the 4v4, another fight broke out, this time between Lupe and Yves Jodoin. Fortunately, a third fight in the row didn't happen. Seven minutes from time, Elejamie managed to pull one back, thanks to a wrist shot from Anatoly Kasputin, assisted by Cerin Meloten and Adam Keane. Eventually, the period ended 1-1, with both teams still in with a chance to take the match.

The second period was where Quebec managed to make up for their poor performance in the last game. Elejamie took the lead early, thirty seconds after the start of the period with a second from Anatoly Kasputin - scoring off the one-timer after Cerin Meloten won the face-off. However, Quebec levelled the scores three minutes later, with Brad McCrimmon's slap shot bouncing off of the post and into the back of the net; Soo Myeon Kim and Dan Passmore were credited with the assists. A third fight, between Bill Judge and Anthony Mantha, broke out not long afterwards - a fight easily won by Judge in less than thirty seconds - resulting in yet another 4v4 although, despite this, neither team managed to get ahead. Less than five minutes later, Quebec got back out in front, with Dave Clark intercepting a pass from Greg Warren and blasting it into the Elejamian net. Although a fourth fight - between George Lincoln and Brennan Hall - happened six minutes from time, followed by Adam Keane receiving a two minute minor for interference, neither team managed to add more goals onto the board and, in the end, the period ended 3-2 in Quebec's favour. Elejamie needed a miracle to win it.

The third period started out as a bit of a tough one for Elejamie. First, a potential equaliser and hat-trick from Anatoly Kasputin forty-five seconds was disallowed when it turned out that Lupe was offside. Secondly, Quebec very nearly made it 4-2 with a slap shot from Dave Clark; however, it too was disallowed when it turned out that Stanislav Markov accidentally high-sticked Elejamian defenceman Adam Keane. And then, six minutes after the start, there was round two between Solano and Guthrie...

"... Ref's blown his whistle and it looks like... YES! Francisco Solano and Logan Guthrie are going back at it! A right from Guthrie! Another right! And a third right! And a fourth which has knocked off Solano's helmet! How much punishment can one man take? But what's this? Solano's managed to land a few punches on Guthrie! Guthrie lands another devastating punch on Solano! Guthrie's managed to grab onto Solano's arms, but Franny Solano has managed to break free as he too managed to knock off his opponent's helmet! Look at them go! Guthrie gets another shot! They think it's all over... But it isn't! Guthrie's losing his balance, Solano's taken advantage of that and delivers what could be the final blow... GUTHRIE'S DOWN! LOGAN GUTHRIE IS ON THE GROUND! HE'S DONE IT! FRANNY SOLANO HAS DEFEATED THE UNDEFEATABLE! And, as the linesmen separate the pair and escort Logan Guthrie to the box and Francisco Solano back to the dressing room to get his injuries checked on, I'll stop commentating and catch my breath."

However, despite Solano having to miss the rest of the game, Elejamie managed to soldier on without him. Seven minutes from time, Kasputin got that much-deserved equaliser as his snap shot, which was assisted by Cerin Meloten and, surprisingly enough, goaltender Antonio Cervantes, managed to get past Marc McDonald. After one last penalty - Stephane Kang receiving a two minute minor for charging - the third period ended 3-3, which meant that the match had to go into overtime. Although things looked like it would go into a shootout that proved not to be the case as, thirty seconds in, Meloten's unassisted wrist shot managed to beat McDonald.

Fans couldn't believe what they had seen. Some celebrated in the stands. Some celebrated in fan zones in across the country, like this one in Davenport and this one in Iceland. And some fans managed to brave the bad weather to travel to Montreal to watch the games in special fan zones. We caught up with this fan, who saw the game from a bar in Montreal not far from the stadium, to ask what he thought of the match: "Fortunately, we managed to brave the cold and found this bar. And, at first, we were all scared because there were 140 guys in Quebec jerseys but only 10-15 of us in Elejamie jerseys. Although it was a tough first couple of periods, we were all cheering loudly when everyone was fighting. Then there was that goal from Kasputin and the overtime winner from Meloten. At that point, And, as the cherry on top of the cake, the entire team came here, autographed our stuff and even bought everyone a few rounds!"

In a post-match interview, head coach Michael Madgwick said "That was honestly one of the scariest moments of my life. Apart from Franny being all bloody from his scrap, there was the fact that we could've gone to a game three. I know I had my doubts but, luckily, the boys pulled out all the stops and put my fears to rest.

A whole bunch of kudos for Mike, Lupe, George, Judge... But Franny deserved the biggest round of applause there; here's hoping he'll be fit and ready for the first final match and, if he isn't, I'll see if I can squeeze him in for game two. An excellent hat-trick from Anatoly there but I also have to compliment Cerin for setting him up and nailing that last goal in the end. But I'd like to say one last praise - and, indeed, one last thank you - to our gracious hosts Quebec; we here at the Elejamie team wish you the best in the third place playoff."

"Who do you think you'll be playing in the final?"

"I honestly don't know because, to be fair, it could go either way. On the one hand, we've got Valanora. They won last time and they swept us; game one was 4-2 and game two was 6-5. On the other, we've got Gregoryisgodistan, the number one team in the multiverse and a tough one to beat. As they say, between a rock and a hard place. But, if you were to ask me and if I had to choose, I'd say that the Ice Slaves will win the series."

In a different post-match interview, Francisco Solano said "I know people at home are going to say that I shouldn't have taken on Guthrie. Al contrario! I didn't realise I was bleeding until Morty told me that I had something coming out of my nose and my lip. And the first thing that came to mind was "Damn, I'm going to miss the rest of the game", followed by "Let's just hope game three goes better". In the dressing room, I was told that Anatoly equalised and, when I found out that Cerin scored that overtime winner, I was as over the moon as I could be."

Meanwhile, in the other match of the day, Gregoryisgodistan flipped the tables back upright as they managed to snatch a 1-0 victory over Valanora. So tonight, it's a matter of finding who will be joining Elejamie in the final and who will be playing Quebec for third place. Will the Calcuttas bounce back from their loss? Or will the Ice Slaves finally complete their revenge against the elves? Find out tonight, 9pm, on Puck Drop.

Period			P1	P2	P3	OT	FS
Elejamie 1 1 1 1 4
Quebec 1 2 0 0 3
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:02 pm

Semifinal Results

Valanora 1-2 Gregoryisgodistan
Royal Kingdom of Quebec 3-3 Elejamie (3-4 OT - Scorinated by 95X)

Third-Place Match Fixture
#1 Valanora vs. #2 Royal Kingdom of Quebec @ Maple Leaf Gardens, Kingston

Final Fixture
#3 Elejamie v. #6 Gregoryisgodistan @ Colisee de Quebec, Quebec City
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Elejamie vs Gregoryisgodistan: A Head-to-Head Comparison

Boy, I bet nobody was expecting that. Yes, Elejamie - a tiny, little Pacific island with over two million people - managed to reach the final of the World Cup of Hockey. I know I pegged us to play Gregoryisgodistan but it was only supposed to be the third place playoff. So imagine my surprise when Cerin Meloten bagged that fourth goal, which sent us straight into the final. Surprise turned to horror as Gregoryisgodistan won their series against Valanora - 2-1, both for the match and the series - to see them through to the final.

To be fair, though, back in WCoH27, we all thought that Elejamie would play Gregoryisgodistan. After the amazing 6-5 victory over Havl, the ETV commentator screamed at the top of his lungs to "bring on the Ice Slaves". And there was a report from an unnamed Gregoryisgodistani reporter who predicted that "Gregoryisgodistan will triumph over Elejamie in the championship series rather easily"; they did triumph over their opponents rather easily, it just wasn't us (it was Esparmuran, who got knocked out at the quarter finals by us last time and, this time round, got knocked out by Novaya Zemlya in the Round of 16).

So, two editions later and at the Colisee de Quebec in Quebec City, Elejamie will finally take on Gregoryisgodistan, for real this time. Will the Ice Slaves take a third trophy home? Or will the Icy Elephants keep the streak going on the biggest nights of their lives? While we wait for an answer, let's compare the two teams and see if we can get an answer from that:

Best Result

Elejamie 5-0 Equestrian States: I'm cheating a little bit, since the Equestrian States actually didn't do a bad job ad only let those last two in because they took their goalie off. A bad idea, as it led to two last-minute goals. That being said, we did an excellent job defending, saving shots that could've easily gone in. And, even though the next time we scored five would end up being a forgetful affair, this match still feels like it happened only yesterday.

Gregoryisgodistan 4-0 Kazirstan: A couple of days after their match against Abanhfleft, which I'll talk about it later, the Ice Slaves played against Kazirstan, who were in fifth place at the time. While I didn't find much information on who played or who scored, I can say that they really put in a whole lot of effort into this. It's a shame that the rest of their tournament wasn't like this but oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

Winner: Elejamie. Because five is a bigger number than four. (1-0)

Worst Result

Elejamie 5-4 Nephara: This isn't that bad a match, as we managed to bag five goals, as we did against the Equestrian States. But, honestly, our defence could've done better, especially against a team so low-ranked (rank 7 vs rank 17). Still, there was no excuse for the slipshod defending, although, fortunately, we managed to fix all of the problems by game two (which we won 2-1).

Abanhfleft 0-0 Gregoryisgodistan: Sure, I could've said the 2-0 loss to Valanora. But, to be fair, the Calcuttas are one of the best teams in the Multiverse and, as I've said in my Analyses and Prediction report, they won the last series they played against the Ice Slaves. However, there was no excuse for a disappointing goalless draw against group rivals (and rank 13) Abanhfleft. In fact, the Enemy Crushers thought so, as evidenced by the fact that they took out all of their rage against the crowd. A bad result made even more embarrassing when you find out that Abanhfleft is on the Enemy List. Ouch.

Winner (or, in this case, least worst result): Gregoryisgodistan. As great as our offence was in the first Nephara game, there was no excuse for the four goals let in. Defence and goaltending makes or breaks games so, even if their forwards didn't really do anything, I'm still giving this one to the Ice Slaves. (1-1)

Finals Experience

This is Elejamie's first time in the final. They did come close last time, making it to the semi-finals before they got swept by hosts and eventual winners Valanora; fortunately, they won their series against Nova Anglicana to finish in a comfortable third. Room for improvement in what was otherwise a dull tournament.

Gregoryisgodistan, however, are two-time World Champions. They won the 24th World Cup of Hockey, completely sweeping Quebec. However, they were unable to make it two in a row, finishing in second place at the following contest, winning only one game (a 1-0 overtime win) in their final series against Havl. They were humbled at the 26th World Cup of Hockey - being knocked out of the quarter finals after a 2-1 series loss to Valanora - but, fortunately, they managed to bounce back and win the 27th edition on [kind of] home ice, sweeping Ko-oren half winners Esparmuran 3-0. And now here they are, looking to make it a third.

Winner: Guess. (1-2)

Offence

Elejamie have been on fire in this tournament. Apart from netting four goals in each of our games against Quebec, there was the 5-0 thrashing of the Equestrian States, along with the 5-4 OK-ishness of game one againse Nephara. There were the two 3-0 victories over Ortol'a on day one and against Polaskaan in the penultimate group game, as well as the 3-2 win over Cosumar in our first quarter-finals game. There was the heart-stopping 4-3 win against Ontorisa (who did very well in this tournament, but that's for another day) and our last group game, a 4-1 win over Ethane. And, finally, the 2-1 win over Nephara in our second Ro16 game and the 2-0 shutout win against Cosumar in game two. Overall, 39 goals in 11 games (averaging out at about >3.55 goals per game)... Not too shabby.

As tempted as I am to make a joke about how the Gregoryisgodistanis are "really offensive", it probably won't be worth the crushing and/or Elejamie going on the Enemy List. Again, they've had two games where they ran the opposing goalie ragged; the aforementioned 4-0 win against Kazirstan and the 3-2 overtime win against Neu Engollon in their second Round of 16 game. Apart from that, they've had a miserable experience trying to score goals, scoring about one or two goals and, in a bizarre twist of fate, being shut out in one match. With 18 goals in 13 games (~1.38 per game), the Ice Slaves really need to start picking up the pace.

Winner: Elejamie. Apart from the math, there are three reasons why: 1) The match against the Equestrian States; 2) Our group tables, where we scored nearly two and a half times as many goals as they did; and 3) Our semi-final series against Quebec, even if one of the goals was scored in overtime. (2-2)

Defence

In the group stage, Elejamie let in four goals, which works out as an average of 0.8 goals conceded; fortunately, out of those, there were only two games where we conceded at least one goal, namely the 4-3 win over group rivals Ontorisa and the 4-1 win over Ethane. After the group stages were over and done with, there was the 5-4 win over Nephara, which I've already covered so no point repeating myself. Fortunately, the next few games saw Elejamie's defence improve greatly: 2-1 in game two against Nephara; 3-2, followed by a 2-0 shutout, against Cosumar in the quarter-finals; and 4-1 in game one of the semi-final series against Quebec. Game two, however, was a close affair, with three goals let in and the match being forced into overtime. Either way, with a GAA of 1.36, there's no doubt that Elejamie will need to beef up their defence if they are to stand a chance.

Gregoryisgodistan, on the other hand, reigned supreme in defence, shutting out all of their opponents in the group stage, as well as Neu Engollon in game one of the Round of 16. Even though they let their first (and then their second) goal in during game two, they still managed to win with a 3-2 overtime win. In fact, in matches where they have let in goals (QF2 against Zenic, SF1 and SF3, both against Valanora) it's normally about one or two goals per game. Overall, five goals in out of thirteen games leaves us with a GAA of 0.54, which isn't bad when you look at it.

Winner: Gregoryisgodistan. The Group H table says it all, really. (2-3)

Goaltending

Out of Elejamie's three goaltenders, Antonio Cervantes appears to be the most active on the ice, starting all but two games: the game against Polaskaan and game two against Nephara. For Polaskaan, it was because Elejamie head coach Michael Madgwick wanted a change and decided to give Pedro Cervantes a match to test his skills (and because Peter Berg may not be available on game two and, should the unfortunate happen, game three). For game two against Nephara, it was because Antonio Cervantes was doing such a bad job in goal on day one that he decided to stick on Peter Berg for a change. In fact, after the third Nepharim goal in game one, Madgwick (senior) pulled Cervantes and stuck Berg on, who did a much better job in goal, only letting in the last one.

There's nothing I can say about Gregoryisgodistan's goaltender that I haven't said already. Coupled with the fact that they've got Enemy Crushers in goal, you can probably see why I'm not going to explain this in any great detail.

Winner: Gregoryisgodistan. As good as both Cervanteses (Cervanti?) and Berg are in goal, Enemy Crusher Porky "Fatso The Third" McFattel is that little bit better. Probably because of the extra size. (2-4)

Winning

I'm going to keep it simple. Elejamie have won every single game of this tournament, from the 3-0 opener against Ortol'a to the 4-3 OT shocker against Quebec. With a bit of luck, they'll keep this streak going throughout the finals, hopefully becoming the first time in a long time to win all of their games at the World Cup of Hockey.

Gregoryisgodistan, on the other hand, have only lost two games - their second game in their quarter-final series against Zenic, which ended in a 2-1 victory for the Arctic Survivors; and the shocking 2-0 thrashing by Valanora, shocking for the sole reason that no one expected the Ice Slaves to have a shutout loss. There was also the 0-0 draw against Abanhfleft, which I've already covered in detail so no need to repeat myself.

Winner: Elejamie. Natch. (3-4)

Fighting

Elejamian hockey has had a history of fighting, with the first ever fight taking place between Terry Johnson and Juan Iglesias Ruiz in a match between the Edgebaston Shamrocks and Fuego de Valledorado (Iglesias Ruiz won the fight, by the way) in December 1962; both players were given match penalties, suspended for two games and Valledorado would later go on to win 5-1. Although fighting was added to the rules during the off-season (eventually becoming in the "five minutes for fighting, two for instigating, everyone out if they all brawl" rule just before the start of the '74/'75 season), it pretty much changed the game forever over here; in fact, the first fight in an international game was at the Elejamie-Quebec game at the old Walcott Stadium in downtown Avon (in fact, this was the first international game of any sport to be played in Avon); on April 1976, Pete Jones (Elejamie) duked it out with Chris Hall (Quebec). Jones may have lost the fight but Elejamie did manage to win 4-1, the Icy Elephant's best score against the Ice Knights until the 7-1 win six years later in Kingston.

And look at what we have now. Legendary tough guys Francisco Solano (aka "Fran", "Franny" and sometimes "Terminator X" because he speaks with his hands), Bill Judge (whose father Mark was a famous boxer), Mike Keller and George Lincoln, along with occasional fighters Lupe (real name Luis Gomes Perreira), Ethan Swinburne, Paul Morton, Pael Atenar and Carlos Sierra. All part of the line-up. Solano, Judge, Morton and Lincoln all had excellent bouts in the series against Quebec. However, there are some questions about whether or not Solano will be ready (or willing) to take part in game two, since he did get banged up quite badly in his second fight against Quebec's Logan Guthrie. But it depends on what he says and what coach Madgwick says.

Gregoryisgodistan don't really need fighters, as they've got Enemy Crushers, who are what they sound like. However, should they feel the need to drop the gloves, then they've got plenty to choose from. There are Pervert Chasers, who cut off the genitalia of people who commit certain crimes; they have Slave Beaters, who beat slaves (although don't ask why they're on a team called the "Ice Slaves"); they have Horse Beaters, which are the same thing except with horses and loads of animal rights activists breathing down their necks; and they've got police officers and prison guards who do their jobs with so much gusto it's like there's candy inside the criminals. Basically, they're practically the other team from a sports movie from the 80s and 90s.

Winner: A close battle, but this one will go to Elejamie, for the sole reason that crushing and removal of body parts isn't really fighting. And, since none of the Elejamian side are slaves or horses - nor do they ever plan to be - I don't think we'll see a battle between, for example, Francisco Solano and Slave Beater JDJJ8138 any time soon. And none of Elejamie's players have a criminal record (that I know of), so they've got a chance of escaping the wrath of the prison guards and the police officers. (4-4)

And the winner is: Gregoryisgodistan. I know the head-to-head was a draw (and I couldn't think of a good ninth category) but, let's face it, we're doomed. In fact, some of the toughest teams from the Gregoryisgodistan/Ko-oren tourney were in the Gregoryisgodistan half. And the ones that weren't went out early; Valanora, Vilita and Turori (maybe) and Havl going out in the group stages and the Feministvs Sanctvsterra, along with hosts of the half Ko-oren, losing their Round of 16 games. Either way, if you have a nervous disposition, I recommend tuning in to the third place playoff, to see whether it'll be the hosts or the Calcuttas who'll be taking home the bronze medal.

I end this TDS article with a piece of advice, namely keep a shirt on around the Gregoryisgodistani team. Trust me, there's a good reason.
Last edited by Elejamie on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:45 pm

Third Place Series and Final, Cutoff

Alright, I am ready to walk 500 miles of excitement.

Third-Place Match
Royal Kingdom of Quebec 3-1 Valanora (Scorinated by Electrum)

Final
Elejamie 2–0 Gregoryisgodistan
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:20 pm

"It's was the first game of the finals last night, so we turn to John Daverson with the details. John?"

That's right, Steve. Good morning, Elejamie! Elejamie are 1-0 up in their series against Gregoryisgodistan after an amazing 2-0 win. As a result of the big fight between him and Logan Guthrie in the last match against Quebec, Francisco Solano was replaced on line one by Alejandro Rubio Orosco, who played in Elejamie's 2-0 game two winner against Cosumar back in the quarter finals. The match was also notorious for the extreme amount of penalties and crushings - although, fortunately, the Elejamian fans managed to avoid the wrath of the Pervert Chasers - but, for the Ice Slaves, it was just another match. Here are the highlights:

The first period got off to a bit of a bad start after Weatherman 92UDH9111 received a two minute minor for elbowing Lupe; however, Enemy Crusher Bigward McFooples stuck up for his teammate by crushing the two linesmen sent to escort him to the box, along with the two linesmen sent on to replace them and one of the referees. Eventually, they finally managed to get him into the box although, to prevent further crushings, Enemy Crusher Bigward McFooples was let off with a warning. Shortly afterwards, Gregoryisgodistan's PK unit very nearly scored a goal, with Antonio Cervantes just managing to make the save. Shortly afterwards, on the face-off, Gregoryisgodistan appeared to have gone 1-0 up; however it was waved off as Gregoryisgodistani captain Loyal Friend of Lord Almighty Gregory Harry Rupertson collided with Cervantes and he sent to the box. Elejamie's best effort came seven minutes in when Felipe Barajas' slapshot just managed to hit the crossbar, with his rebound being caught by Enemy Crusher Porky "Fatso The Third" McFattel. Eventually, after plenty of attempted penalties and crushings, the first period ended goalless, with both teams still in with a chance to win.

The second period opened up with a goal from Cerin Meloten; less than a minute and a half after the faceoff, Meloten managed to beat Enemy Crusher Porky "Fatso The Third" McFattel with a snap shot and assistance from Anatoly Kasputin and Adam Keane. At this point, Gregoryisgodistan were starting to feel the heat as they were reminded of their first semi-final game against Valanora. Not much happened shot-wise afterwards but there were a boatload of penalties, like LW Prison Guard AQIIUS receiving some time in the box for checking Aaron Andrews from behind; a fair amount of attempted penalties, like Pael Atenar ducking a high-stick from Police Officer PIODO; and some crushings, like how both referees and linesmen were crushed by Enemy Crusher Porkbert McPorkerstein after they tried to give him a penalty for trying to charging. At the end of the second period, Elejamie were 1-0 up and just hanging on, trying to avoid any incidents with their opponents.

The third period was practically more of the same. A couple of minutes after the start, Gregoryisgodistan received a bench minor when an ill-timed line change resulted in them having too many men on the ice; after a few crushings, Prison Guard QQQQPPPAL had to serve time in the box. Fortunately, for them, their PK unit really put Elejamie on the ropes, coming close to scoring three times in the space of ten seconds. Then, with just over seven minutes left in the period, Paul Morton won the face-off and passed it to Lucas Madgwick, whose wrist shot doubled Elejamie's score. Not that much happened after that, with the sole highlight being a potential third for Elejamie - this time from Anatoly Kasputin on the powerplay - being waved off five minutes from time due to Adam Keane accidentally moving the net. Eventually, Elejamie won 2-0 and, as the Ice Slaves' Enemy Crushers took out their anger on the crowd crushing 250 fans as an act of revenge, the Icy Elephants started to prepare for game two.

In a post-match interview, head coach Michael Madgwick said "I'm not going to say anything bad about Gregoryisgodistan. It's not worth getting them riled up now and it'd be a good idea to keep staying on their good side. But I am going to say one thing about them. As good as the Gregoryisgodistanis, you can't have a winner without a loser and, sadly, it had to be them tonight. They are a good side and they're going to recover from this shutout, no doubt about it.

But I am going to say that we scored a couple of excellent goals, thanks to Cerin and Lucas. Of course, I have to thank Anatoly, Adam and Morty for setting both of those goals up. Alejandro didn't do too bad a job taking over for Franny; in fact, although he did say that he was fit for this match, I still decided to rest him to be safe. Toni really worked wonders in goal and, hopefully, he'll still have that magic for tomorrow night."

"Do you think you'll take home the trophy?"

"It's possible. But I don't think we'll be seeing it tomorrow night. I mean, don't get me wrong, we've been performing way above expectations this tournament. But sweeping the number one team in the world? I don't see that happening. Maybe a game three win at best, but not a game two."

Meanwhile, in the third place playoff over at the Maple Leafs Gardens in Kingston, Quebec's run for third place got off to a very good start as they took down Valanora 3-1. Tonight, we see game two of each series. Will the Icy Elephants win one last time? Will the Ice Slaves avenge their loss and force a third game? Will the Ice Knights take home the third place finish? Or will the Calcuttas follow their gold from last time with a bronze? Find out tonight, Puck Drop, 9pm, ETV1.

Meanwhile in the ERC, Coventry Wyverns winger Jeff Simons has announced that he's thinking about a move back to Avon. The 35-year-old Simons, who previously played with the Knights from 2007-2011 before being picked up by his rivals as his contract was going to expire, said that he would like to finish his career off back at his old club...

Period				P1	P2	P3	FS
Elejamie 0 1 1 2
Gregoryisgodistan 0 0 0 0

I don't know if Quebec's relocated the final and third place playoffs, since he's edited his SF3 results post which had the score of the third game between Gregoryisgodistan and Valanora, along with who was playing who and where. If he has changed where everyone's playing, then please let me know where everything took place so I can edit it back in.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Third Place Series and Final, Game 2 Cutoff

For one last time I'm going to drink this late in night.

[Royal Kingdom of Quebec 0–1 Valanora
Series tied, 1-1

Gregoryisgodistan 1–1 Elejamie (2-1 OT)
Series tied, 1-1
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:24 pm

Then and Now: Comparing My All-Time Greats and the Elejamie Starting Six

After that disappointing 2-1 OT loss to Gregoryisgodistan last night (although the OT goal should've been disallowed, since Loyal Friend of Lord Almighty Gregory Harry Rupertson, who scored it, clearly crashed into Antonio Cervantes), I figured I might as well do one last article for the time being. And, this time around, I've decided to take a look at six of my favourite Elejamian players from yesteryear and compare them to our starting goaltender, first defence pair and line one. And, unlike my Elejamie vs Gregoryisgodistan article, there isn't a competition to find the best, this is just to show how far we've come and to give any foreign readers an insight into the history of Elejamian hockey. Also, don't worry if I've missed some greats - like, for example, Raheem Halabi, Alex Sorenson, Ed Peak, Johnny Park, Tim Furst, etc. - but I couldn't fit everyone one.

Goaltender

Then: Jim Gruff (1949-). Born in Barr, RCST but moved to Avon at a young age, Gruff is considered to be one of the best goaltenders of all time, notably for all the records he set. He shut out six opponents in a row in January 1975, having the longest shutout streak in ENIHL history (403 minutes). He scored the first ever goaltender goal in ENIHL history, when - on 22nd December 1979 - a freak shot managed to travel down the ice, bounce off the post and go into the empty net. And, after his early retirement in 1981 - spending one season with the then-newly formed Rosetta Royals - due to repeated injuries, his #23 jersey was retired by the Avon Stars, the first ever number to be retired by an ENIHL team. He then became the Stars' goaltending coach from 1984 up until his retiremen from ice hockey altogether in 2004.

Now: Antonio Cervantes (1982-). Considered to be one of the best goaltenders in the country and maybe the world at the moment. He's also been with the same club for his entire career, starting with the Ángeles de la Playa de Rocas' junior team, leading them to their second ENJIHL win in 2001. Although he hasn't been as lucky since then - the closest being a few second place finishes with the senior team - he's hoping that a win in game three will be his first bit of team silverware in a very long time, having won Goaltender of the Year on numerous occasions. His nephew Pedro Moreno Cervantes is also an accomplished hockey goaltender, being part of Elejamie's fourth-placed side in the 8th World Junior Hockey Championships, as well as a scratched goaltender for the national team and back up for Ángeles de la Playa de Rocas.

Defence Line 1

Then: Eduardo Frederico do Rosário Santos, simply just known as Du (1952-2001). The first Elejameiro (Elejamian of Brazilian descent or, in this case, Brazilian emigrant to Elejamie) to play in the ENIHL, as well as the youngest player to sign for a team (signing with the Edgebaston Shamrocks three weeks before his 16th birthday, although he didn't get his first start until the start of the 1968/69 season). Although he had a rough couple of seasons to begin with, he soon found his ground and became the first person to win Defender of the Season three times in a row (74/75-76/77). After a brief spell at Fuego de Valledorado in the 1979/1980 season, he returned to the Shamrocks the following season, eventually retiring in 1985. A few years later, at the start of the 1988/89 season, he coached the Shamrocks to a third place finish at the ENIHL before being called up as an assistant coach for the national team; after spending a few years at the Auckhampton Fathers, he eventually retired from coaching in 1995. His son, Du Júnior (real name Alexandre Gabriel Tavares Santos; 1975-) inherited the #9 Shamrocks jersey and, on 24th September 2011 - a few months after his retirement and on the tenth anniversary of Du's passing - it was retired.

Eric Binley (1944-). He may not have invented fighting in the ENIHL but he certainly perfected it. The 6' 6" Davenport Dockers defenceman towered over the opposition, which certainly gave him that edge in fights. Late in his career (around the start of the 1977/78 season), he moved to the Avon Stars before eventually retiring in 1980. After retiring from ice hockey, he spent six years coaching the Dockers before retiring before the start of the 1986/87 season. He is also the only All-Time Great on this list not to have his number (#13) retired.

Now: Luis Gomes Perreira, aka Lupe to you or me (1988-). A superstar at the Edgebaston Shamrocks junior team, he only played one season for the senior team before being snapped up by the Avon Stars. Although he describes himself as a stay-at-home defenceman, he isn't afraid to get closer to the opposition's goal should he need to. He also isn't afraid to drop the gloves every once in a while, even famously managing to draw against Francisco Solano in a Stars-Royals game last season.

Adam Keane (1991-). Born in Woodsworth, ESRE, Adam Jonas Keane attended the prestigious Woodsworth Academy, where he played for the Aces. After graduating, he moved up north to attend Davenport University, playing for the Reds in the University League as he was studying his degree in physics (where we also minored in woodworking; as a result, Keane uses a custom hockey stick). After completing his degree, he signed for the Davenport Dockers, where he remains to this day, although there are rumours that he might be moving to the Coventry Puffins next season.

Left Wing

Then: Michael Madgwick (1962-). What can't be said about this hockey legend? He made his international debut in that 1982 game against Quebec, where we won 7-1, with Madgwick scoring a hat-trick and asssisting another goal; although, to be fair, Quebec were missing a few star players and the next meeting in 1985 was a much closer affair, a 3-2 OT win for the Ice Knights. He was part of the ENIHL 82/83 season winning Davenport Dockers squad at the age of 21, making him the youngest ENIHL winner. After the end of the 1990/91 season, he moved to Quebec to play for the St. John Celtics, before moving to the Saint John Acadiens before the 1995/96 season, eventually returning to the Dockers in 1997. When he retired in 2006, his #9 jersey was briefly retired until he gave the number to his son, Lucas (an accomplished hockey player in his own right), who continues to wear the jersey to this day.

Now: Francisco Solano (1988-). Pretty much one of the greatest fighters in the ENIHL, although his career very nearly didn't take off after he accidentally elbowed an official during a fight against Ricardo Melheur in a match between the Ángeles de la Playa de Rocas and Woodsworth Condors junior teams in 2008; fortunately, his ban was shortened from ten to five after an apology and video evidence proving it was an accident popped up. He was then picked up by the Ángeles senior team and played with them for four years, amassing 412 penalty minutes, 365 of which were for fighting. In 2013, he moved to the Rosetta Royals and was essentially put on the same. As a fighter, Solano is well known for being a fair but tough fighter, although he has had a few moments that could be seen as dirty, i.e. the infamous fight between him and Fyodor Ryzhkov in game one at the WCoH27 quarter-final series between Elejamie and Novaya Zemlya.

Centre

Then: Ron Berg (1960-). Widely considered to be the other great Elejamian hockey player, Ronald Goldberg (the "Gold" part of his surname would later be dropped in 1983) and Michael Madgwick had an on-ice rivalry back in the 80s and 90s; although they did consider each other a worthy opponent and were both friendly off the ice and in matches where the two were on the same team. Club-wise, he spent some time with the Elejamie City Ice Elephants, Avon Stars, Ángeles de la Playa de Rocas and, of course, the Mainsborough Icemen. However, it would be the Icemen, where he spent a majority of his career, that would retire his jersey number; #15. He would later coach the Icemen from the 2011/12 season onwards, also spending time being an assistant coach to the national team.

Now: Cerin Meloten (1991-). The gentle giant of hockey, the 6' 7" Rosetta Royals centre was original going to go into basketball, like his older siblings Mical and Aren before deciding to put on his skates. Although there were some worries that his size would make him an easy target, he still managed to hold his own and quickly became one of the most respected players in the league for his calm demeanour on and off the ice. He is currently the top scorer in the 2015/16 ENIHL season, with 30 goals and 22 assists. He is also one of the cleanest, if not THE cleanest, ice hockey players out there, only picking up two penalty minutes in his entire career (a bench minor against Kaboomlandia back in the group stages at the WCoH28).

Right Wing

Then: Damián Silvestre (1969-). Silvestre was known for being a showy player, known for his eccentric goal celebrations; notably him breakdancing after scoring the OT winner against the Avon stars in 1999. Beginning his career with the Ángeles de la Playa de Rocas in 1990, he would later spend a couple of years at the Elejamie City Ice Elephants, before moving in 1993 to the Rosetta Royals, where he stayed until his retirement in. His #29 jersey would later be retired by the Royals in 2014. After a brief spell as head coach of Bombarderos de la Playa del Oitura, followed by a few seasons as assistant coach for Ángeles de la Playa de Rocas' junior team, he currently serves as the colour commentator for the Spanish-language version of Puck Drop, commentating alongside Jimena (José María Ceja Jiménez).

Now: Anatoly Kasputin (1984-). The son of Novozemlyan emigrants, who arrived in 1981 alongside Anatoly's older brother then-4-year-old Mikhail, Anatoly Gennadyevich Kasputin started off small, playing for the Fort Checkers Elites for a couple of seasons before moving to the Green Hills Stoners in the Green Hills district of Coventry in 2008. It was there in his only season there that he managed to catch the attention of the Coventry Puffins, the Stoners' owners, so they decided to sign him on for a couple of years. However, he ended up wowing the club so much that he was offered a four year extension, eventually becoming the club captain at the start of the 2010/11 season and the national team captain in 2012.

Coach

Then: Jim Dalziel (1919-1984). Although Dalziel had no real experience playing hockey, he still managed to coach the Coventry Puffins to a respectable 2nd place in the inaugural ENIHL season back in 1960/61, before going to win it the following season. He was also the coach for the first ever Elejamian national team match in 1962, when the best of the ENIHL decided to challenge the Quebec national team as a 15th anniversary "thank you" for introducing the sport to the nation; Quebec would go on to win 3-2. He would later go on to coach the Edgebaston Shamrocks at the start of the 1970/71 season, before moving to the Rosetta Royals in 1980. He retired from coaching midway through the 1982/83 season due to health concerns before dying of a heart attack over a year later. His son Kevin (who'd later change his surname to "Deal"; 1942-2013) would later become a successful coach in his own right, coaching the Coventry Puffins, Berlin Lightning, Blackport Raiders and the national team before retiring from coaching in 2000.

Now: Michael Madgwick (1962-). Since I've covered his playing career, I've decided to take a look at his coaching career. In 2008, after a couple of years outside the ice hockey world, Madgwick decided to return to the Dockers, picking up the head coach spot. Although he had a rough first season, even slipping as low as eighth at one point, he managed to turn things around and win the league. He would get further wins in 2010 and 2013. And, in 2013, he was selected by the EIHB (Elejamian Ice Hockey Board) to coach the national team.

And that's my seven all time greats. I know I could've done a simple comparison and find the winner but they're all good in their own way. Besides, in some cases, it'd be hard to choose a winner, either because they're different in so many ways (Madgwick vs Solano) or so good that it would be hard to choose between the two (Berg vs Meloten). Either way, it's time to get settled into game three of both serieses (serii?). Will we take home the gold? Or will it be silver? Will Quebec avenge their sweep in the semi-finals to take home the bronze? Or will that honour go to last-time winners Valanora? So many questions, the only thing I can do is tune in and see.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Third Place Series and Final, Game 3 Results

Have fun.

Third-Place Match
Valanora 1-0 Royal Kingdom of Quebec (Scorinated by Yttribia)

Final
Elejamie 2–1 Gregoryisgodistan

Congrats to the champions, Consolations to the rest. Thank you all for another fun and successful World Cup of Hockey!
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports