NATION

PASSWORD

How would your nation react to an oil spill?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Zilatal
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

How would your nation react to an oil spill?

Postby Zilatal » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:47 am

How would your nation's government react to a massive oil spill similar to the recent Gulf Coast disaster? How would the company responsible be penalized, if at all? How would the oil be cleaned up?

The Zilatian government would instantly seize control of the cleanup operation, offer prizes to scientists an engineers with solutions to the problem, charge the company responsible, and force the people responsible for the spill out of the company (assuming the disaster could have been prevented). The Zilatian Navy has access to large numbers of oil skimmers, so the cleanup would go fairly quickly. Taxes would also be raised on the offending company, while companies that aid in the cleanup would have their taxes lowered.
Last edited by Zilatal on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kalakda
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalakda » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:55 am

Obviously our President would not play golf, attend rallies to support buddies, or just sit on his lazy butt doing nothing.

Anyway, we would respond immediately, get fire booms out, contain it, if the spill's similar to the one in the Gulf, we simply relieve pressure by letting oil out at other spots before placing a cap on the main leak. We would NOT shut down all offshore drilling, as that would ruin our economy and cost thousands of jobs, instead, we just let common sense take over.

Cleaning would also be done by local authorities and private interests, and the company responsible for this screw up should help in the clean-up, and those held responsible in both the government and said government are fired.
Last edited by Kalakda on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAKE WAR ON LOVE - Put this in your signature if you agree.
Embassies In: Noordeinde Grays Harbor Orlkjestad New Olwe Chrisman Union Meldaria
Alliances: Christian Coalition of Countries, Space Colonization Coalition, United Conservatives Alliance, Pan-Slavic Union State
-Turgov Civil War (Pulled out)
-First Russenich War (Victory)
-Operation Wipeout (Stalemate)
-Modk Riots (Victory, GA rebels defeated)
-IRS rebellion (Victory)
-Second Russenich War (Stalemate)
George W Bush AOED wrote:I would blame Obama for the last 8 years.

Old Beringia wrote:Resembling the American 1950 average style. Before everything went straight to hell aesthetically wise due to pansy hippies.

Ayla Taksidi
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayla Taksidi » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:58 am

Investigate the best possible situation for the environment, and get to it for the preservation of the ecological systems of the environment as best as possible paying attention to long-term factors.

Of course, this is why we dont use oil.
Last edited by Ayla Taksidi on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bafuria
Senator

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bafuria » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:59 am

We would nuke it.
Economic 3.1, Social -4.1

Saurisia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Oil Spill? Ha! Puny Human primitives, we don't have that problem, we use Fusion Power, my friend, so we don't have to worry about stuff like this!
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:06 pm

We'd drop a nuke down the tube in the first few days, soon enough for it to not be a major spill.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:10 pm

We would clean up the oil, do what was required to help, and stop with the damned pointing of fingers.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:11 pm

Get a better FEMA. Don't accuse BP of blowing the rig up, have people ready to clean up right away, ect. Mostly, get a better FEMA.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Marshmellowstan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Marshmellowstan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Set up a series of devices to alter oceianic currents and make it go somewhere else!
Last edited by Marshmellowstan on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RU PAUL 2016
Existential_Nihilists wrote:Because he is "God". He can do whatever the hell he wants, regardless if the action in question can or cannot be justified. Sure, he's cruel, thoughtless and sadistic... but he loves you. :hug:

Reploid Productions wrote: ...That would be bitchin'!

Malsitar wrote:All citizens are oppressed equally regardless of race.

Ain't nothing to it, Gangster rap made me do it...

Atheists Led by Chris
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheists Led by Chris » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:13 pm

We don't have to worry about trivial problems like that as fossil fuels are illegal in my nation.
Keep religion out of my school, and I'll keep thinking out of your church.

Freelasio
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Freelasio » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:14 pm

We don't rely on oil.....we don't use oil at all...but if we had to say we would quickly invent the oil droid within 3 days using our "superior enlightenment" and use them to suck up all the oil using special filters to block out any water but still sucking in the oil....even if water is smaller....water is a polar molecule while oil is not, we use a kind of filter that will block out all polar molecules but take in all non-polar molecules...
Doctor Neo Cortex
Haven XXX
Corusant Sphere (Top ally)
Mohawk Clan
The Tavan Race (Top ally)
Weltmachtistan (Top ally)
Kalasparata (Top Ally)
Joshuahood
Tierra Prime
Dilanger (er i think that was his name xD)
New Amerik (top ally)
Factbook
Menta Lee-Il RANKS 3RD IN THE WORLD FOR MOST CORRUPT!!! HAIL DEAREST LEADER!!!
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:14 pm

We don't drill for oil anymore. We can just teleport it out. That said, oil is a boutique item anymore as most portable things now run on micro fusion reactors. The only people who use it anymore are car collectors.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

George W Bush AOED
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby George W Bush AOED » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:15 pm

I would blame Obama for the last 8 years.

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:16 pm

well the royal science advisory in cooperation with the royal internal affair advisory would attempt to solve the situation as best as they could and then force the royal merchant guild to pay (they could then either pay it or pass the cost to the corporation responsible).
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

So what? Let me indulge my oversized ego for a moment!
Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

Of course, Imeriata focuses on the important things in life.

Willing to help with all your MS paint related troubles.
Things I dislikes: Everything.

Kalakda
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalakda » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:16 pm

:rofl:

Win. Sigging
MAKE WAR ON LOVE - Put this in your signature if you agree.
Embassies In: Noordeinde Grays Harbor Orlkjestad New Olwe Chrisman Union Meldaria
Alliances: Christian Coalition of Countries, Space Colonization Coalition, United Conservatives Alliance, Pan-Slavic Union State
-Turgov Civil War (Pulled out)
-First Russenich War (Victory)
-Operation Wipeout (Stalemate)
-Modk Riots (Victory, GA rebels defeated)
-IRS rebellion (Victory)
-Second Russenich War (Stalemate)

Old Beringia wrote:Resembling the American 1950 average style. Before everything went straight to hell aesthetically wise due to pansy hippies.

The North Papal States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The North Papal States » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:16 pm

Well, we're a landlocked nation.

But if we weren't landlocked...we'd probably just ignore it. The company that caused the spill would probably have to find some way of skimming the oil from the surface, so it didn't just get wasted.

Honestly though, given the condition of our rivers, it'd probably react with something in a fantastically huge explosion,

...Be glad I'm landlocked.

Zonolia
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zonolia » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Well if the company was Zonolian it would be punished with death to the ones who caused it, but if it was forgien oil like a tanker that was not Zonlian lost it we'd clean it up trying to separate out the oil so we could us it. And of course our President would be like "Hells! YEAH! An ecological Distater!"
Hell hath no fury like a mod scorned.
Kim Berloni-
President of Zonolia.
Population (Homeland+Colonies-As of 03/14/2014): 19,874,000,000
Current Year: 2014
Territories:
(Jikilo Brothers Incorporated)
S Islands Archipelago
Commonwealths:
Cubanonoa
The Island of Gu
Proud Progressive!
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

All Hail Emperor Palpatine, Savior of the Republic and Valiant Destroyer of the Anti-Establishment Jedi Order!

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:21 pm

Kalakda wrote:Obviously our President would not play golf, attend rallies to support buddies, or just sit on his lazy butt doing nothing.

Anyway, we would respond immediately, get fire booms out, contain it, if the spill's similar to the one in the Gulf, we simply relieve pressure by letting oil out at other spots before placing a cap on the main leak. We would NOT shut down all offshore drilling, as that would ruin our economy and cost thousands of jobs, instead, we just let common sense take over.

Cleaning would also be done by local authorities and private interests, and the company responsible for this screw up should help in the clean-up, and those held responsible in both the government and said government are fired.

same exept we nuke the oil spill if it gets to big
Right behind you...: UDL

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:23 pm

For the sake of debate, if this was 2103 AD and we still used oil for the most part, the company would clean it up and we'd all get on with our lives. Seriously, what does the government have to do with this?
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Woldy
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Woldy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Independant thinkers and Criminals will be permitted a week beach time in which they can clean up the spill.

If they do it before a week they may spend the remainder of the time sunbathing/sweeming/playing frisbee, but Barbecues would not be permitted.

If they fail in cleaning it up they would be replaced with the next batch of independant thinkers and criminals and (depending on performance) either be returned to their regional labour camp or disposed of.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61745

So ya thought ya might like to go to the show.
To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow.
I got me some bad news for you, Sunshine.
Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel,
And he sent us along as a surrugate band.
We're gonna find out where you fans really stand.

Grittonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grittonia » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:44 pm

We would see if we could do anything with the oil-water. Probably, we would bottle it and sell it as a souvenir or something.
I am a Cultural-Nationalistic Authoritarian Socio-Capitalist. Grittonia's own Pappaïsm reflects that.
The Grittonian Embassy program!
Join my quest for World Fame! And my quest to make out with guys from all nations of the world! Sign-up now!
Hot, Dutch, gay and single!

Grittonia's Law wrote:Everyone is gay, they just don't know it.
One who automatically claims they are straight without probing are undoubtedly gay.

Gren's Theorem wrote:Everyone is attracted to Grit. Those who say differently simply refuse to acknowledge it.

"Oy vey! All he talked about was parties and sex! And those Perviolosi twins kept tugging at my pants. Get me some tylenol." - Roman Ambassador after meeting Pappa Nick & his entourage

Woldy
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Woldy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Grittonia wrote:We would see if we could do anything with the oil-water. Probably, we would bottle it and sell it as a souvenir or something.

I would like to purchase some oil water please.

Grittonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grittonia » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Woldy wrote:
Grittonia wrote:We would see if we could do anything with the oil-water. Probably, we would bottle it and sell it as a souvenir or something.

I would like to purchase some oil water please.

We might have some in some dusty storage. Grittonia usually has a few oil spills each decade, as we absolutely give nothing about the enviroment or safety-rules.
I am a Cultural-Nationalistic Authoritarian Socio-Capitalist. Grittonia's own Pappaïsm reflects that.
The Grittonian Embassy program!
Join my quest for World Fame! And my quest to make out with guys from all nations of the world! Sign-up now!
Hot, Dutch, gay and single!

Grittonia's Law wrote:Everyone is gay, they just don't know it.
One who automatically claims they are straight without probing are undoubtedly gay.

Gren's Theorem wrote:Everyone is attracted to Grit. Those who say differently simply refuse to acknowledge it.

"Oy vey! All he talked about was parties and sex! And those Perviolosi twins kept tugging at my pants. Get me some tylenol." - Roman Ambassador after meeting Pappa Nick & his entourage

Woldy
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Woldy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Sounds good. If it's cheaper than the gruel we feed our prisoners here then I'm all for it.

It probably has a better nutritional value anyway.

Pythria
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythria » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Woldy wrote:Independant thinkers and Criminals will be permitted a week beach time in which they can clean up the spill.

If they do it before a week they may spend the remainder of the time sunbathing/sweeming/playing frisbee, but Barbecues would not be permitted.

If they fail in cleaning it up they would be replaced with the next batch of independant thinkers and criminals and (depending on performance) either be returned to their regional labour camp or disposed of.

OOC: Independent thinking is a crime? Funny, considering your last post that I read said that smashing the establishment sounded appealing to you.
IC: We'd make whoever did it clean it up. No help or hindrance from the government.
Last edited by Pythria on Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information