NATION

PASSWORD

Athena: Fall of Europe (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Athena: Fall of Europe (IC)

Postby Bentus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:00 am

"This is a story of heroes, of men and women fighting against the odds for something bigger than themselves. But it’s not a story of victory. This is a story of how we lost.

This is how Europe fell."

OOC

“All NATO personnel are to…[static]…Brussels. All survivors are to engage in a fighting…[static] – drawal. An evacuation is underway.”

- Looping Radio Broadcast, NATO Euro-front Command Frequency

Antwerp, Belgium – 14th January, 2025

It was eerie. Antwerp had once been a thriving city with more than half a million residents, but now it was reduced to little more than a ghost town. The usual heavy sounds of city life, of idle chatter and countless souls making their daily commute, were replaced by an oppressive silence shattered only by the constant tapping of flashing red traffic lights. Homes and offices stood abandoned, meals and vehicles left abandoned as their owners had evacuated as soon as word of the line’s collapse had reached them. It felt as if something had been brutally torn from the city’s chest.

Emilie leaned cautiously out around the street corner, the butt of her P90 pressed tightly against her shoulder. Her eyes, weary from a lack of sleep but driven to alertness by adrenaline, scanned the town square with practiced efficiency. The large open space, centred on the City Hall, was filled with brown-green tents lined in neat and orderly rows. A few bore the NATO compass on their side, but the vast majority had UNHCR plastered on their canvases, shelter originally intended for refugees fleeing Denmark and Germany. Whoever had set them up must have considered the city safe ground. Emilie almost laughed at the bitter irony. She hadn’t encountered a single contact since entering the city proper – save for a light patrol of Greys on the outer limits that had been easily avoided. The quiet, deathly peace had set her on edge after four days of desperately trying to outrun ET. At first the lack of hostiles had left Emilie confused, before sickened to the pit of her stomach. Unlike many of the cities further east, Antwerp had managed to receive some form of warning, evacuating much of its populace in the space of hours. Empty and vacant of innocents to butcher, the aliens had largely ignored the major metropolis, preferring to work their way meticulously through the countryside.

Or at least that’s what Emilie hoped.

She stood stock-still for almost a minute, hardly breathing; as if waiting for some inhuman monster to reveal itself in an ambush. Nothing did, and the soldier eventually had to give in to the need to keep moving. Bolting at full pelt, resisting the urge to allow herself to slow or take a breather in the open, Emilie raced through the small tent settlement – being sure to keep her rifle swivelling as she rounded each bend. Her course was directed straight towards one of the larger canvas structures, and she pressed herself alongside the long tent’s entrance flaps panting from the constant sprinting and darting from cover to cover. Allowing herself a few moments of respite, Emilie took a few deep breaths before thrusting open the canvas’ folds and entering into the mess hall.

Scanning the interior with her rifle, Emilie once again found herself alone. The tent was dominated by a few long tables, meant to seat all the anticipated refugees as their received their communal meals. The seats seemed polished and unused, Emilie doubted whether the camp had even seen a quarter of the expected number of inhabitants before it had found itself in the combat zone. Satisfied that she wasn’t going to be gunned down by some ET hiding in the corner, Emilie quickly made her way over to a large metal cabinet at the rear of the structure.

Merde.” She cursed under her breath, seeing a padlock preventing her access to the box’s contents. Emilie glanced around, wondering if she could find the key hidden somewhere in the hall. The French woman bit her lip, knowing that she’d have to be luckier than she deserved to have things go that well for her. Glancing at the watch on her wrist, Emilie once again swore in her native tongue – she didn’t have the time to muck around either. Resigning herself to the lesser of two bad decisions, Emilie aimed her rifle at the lock, positioning herself clear of any potential ricochets before firing once. She cringed at the loud crack, hoping that there weren’t any hostiles close enough to have heard.

As the doors swung open, Emilie’s stomach growled loudly at the reward for her efforts. Spare rations were stacked on the shelves, and with her own having run out more than a day ago, Emilie found the hunger she’d been repressing shoot to the fore. Ditching all pretences of modesty or professionalism, the soldier tore into the closest packaging and greedily bit into whatever looked edible. The tasteless nutrient concentrate was delicious to her parched palette, and Emilie found herself – for once – appreciating NATO field rations. Grabbing a bottle of water to refill her canteen, Emilie tried to map out her path in her mind’s eye, wondering how much extra food she should carry to make it to Brussels.
Last edited by Bentus on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Shyluz
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shyluz » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:53 am

Antwerp, NATO Temporary Base
Artem Yurivich, MSgt
SCK

Artem stared through the helm, watching the dead city from his platoon's concealed position in an alleyway. The city had been largely unmolested, but, as he knew, such things would rarely last. His eyeless sight from the elongated optics mounted on his helmet made a whirring as it's operator raised his arm, tracing out a plan on the wall towards his platoon of nine other 601ers. In reality, the wall was a blank, generic brick wall that you could find anywhere in Antwerp. To Thursday, however, on it was a simple plan. It was a crude drawing of ten circles between two buildings, the surrounding region, and a square labeled 'NATO.' The nine nodded at the lithe man's simplistic drawing. While it wasn't pretty, it was functional, much like the up-sized BMCRs they carried, which had been scaled up to use the more effective 7.62x51 NATO round. When dealing with aliens, size did, in fact, matter. Of course, the actual plan was even simpler than the map Yurivich had drawn. It was a simple arrow, going from the alleyway to the box labeled 'NATO' that traced along the edges of buildings, utilizing alleys where possible.

The nine nodded.

So off they went, through the dead city Antwerp.

And their they arrived, the platoon quickly dispersing and procuring themselves rations, having not eaten for days. That was what the nine were doing, while Artem marveled at a familiar sight. Emilie Girard. The man, ignoring his hunger, slid his way over to the seat opposite her, his helmet still procuring his face. Underneath, however, was a very pleased veteran of ATHENA. "Cela est une vue familière." He said, popping of his helmet, which was more of a headset and removing the bandana which held his mop of hair from obscuring his vision. "Emilie Girard." He finished, a thin grin on his face as he leaned on the table, staring at her.
Last edited by Shyluz on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otherwise known as Nornsmark for official, region-ey things.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Anowa » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:55 pm

Herrman
The unfortunate side effect of being separated from your friends and almost being caught by an alien patrol was wading through the sewers. To be honest I thought they'd be smaller, but here we were, with me only slightly hunched over, up ahead was a ladder leading to the surface. The ATHENA Uniform I wore was still impeccable despite smelling horrid, I had worn the same kit for the entirety of my time with the Anti-invasion unit, Same SCAR-H, same sentry helmet, same balaclave, same glasses, same BDU, same everything. I guess a part of me couldn't leave behind what happened during my time there; The scars, both mental and physical I'd obtained.

I mounted the ladder and began climbing the grungy ladder, at the top was a manhole cover, something renowned for being heavy. Fortunately I slid the cover out of it's divot with ease. Around me was silence, as well as a few tents, I guess that was expected, Ooster had been glassed a few days ago. 3 to be exact, how'd I know this? 'Cuz that's how long I haven't eaten for. Granted I've gone longer but the empty pit in my stomach wasn't any more comfortable. I hauled myself out of the rank tunnel system and into the open air.

I checked my SCAR to ensure it was still in operating condition, but my equipment check was interrupted by a voice, Romance language, but it didn't sound... right. It was coming from a tent off towards the center of the square. Raising my rifle I cautiously made my way towards the large green tent, as I made my way over, I noticed crates and abandoned luggage were strewn all about the damn place, those who were staying here both martial and civil had left in a hurry. I wasn't so enthused by that fact.

I was less than four meters from the tent's opening, I popped my head and rifle in to it. Only to see two faces I'd never expected to see again. Artem Yurivich, and Emilie Girard, both comrades who had saved my life, and I theirs, more than a few times. These were people I could trust, the others however I would remain cautious of. While I had no problems with anyone I knew were with ATHENA, anyone with a gun and unfamiliar uniform were capable of doming me. Much like ARES, the traitorous fucks they were.

I snorted, while lowering my rifle, "What're the fucking odds, huh?" My safety remained off.
Awards:
Tie Winner: Most Involved in P2TM, 2016
Winner: Best Crime RP, 2016

An Intro to Anowa

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:34 pm

Brussels
UN European Command
2 hours ago

"Arkady, listen to me. Jesus, what's going on?", Maria's voice came as the hammer of a 20mm cannon shook the room.
"Sounds like they're breaching the perimeter already. Can you please just give me directions?", Arkady hissed as he jogged down the darkened hallway.
"Alright-" Maria cut out as Arkady nearly fell and the building shook. Dust came down from the ceiling and the last of the non-emergency lights blinked out. She came back a moment later. "-turn right. Goddamn plasma bombs. You'll see a door ahead of you, it's an access route to an old sewer line that runs through here. It runs out into the Zenne after about a kilometer, and there's a motor launch parked at the opening. You take the launch and get out of the city. If it's gone, you'll have to swim, which will be significantly less fun."
"And once I'm out of Brussels?"
"You'll proceed as quickly as possible to Antwerp. Most recent intelligence suggests some NATO forces have established a secure evacuation point, and there's a freighter, the Silver Star, waiting on the Scheldt to take you out to rendezvous with a sub to bring you back, either via Gibraltar and Rostov-on-Don or via Murmansk. You need to hurry- Antwerp is obviously in deep shit as well, since it's already been evacuated, and Silver Star is not a battleship." Arkady planted a firm kick in the rotting door's rusty hinges.
"They build everything over what came before," he muttered to himself. The sewer was pitch-black, an impossibly faint pinpoint of light at the end, water plinking and dripping off the old, long-disused bricks.

Eleven minutes later, Arkady, still jogging despite the uneven, slick brick he was traversing, emerged into the light. The Zenne was a dull brown, smoldering debris washing along- and he could clearly see, next to the little concrete walkway beneath the bank, the scorched wreckage of a motor launch, half-submerged.
"Launch is gone, Maria. Looks like I'm swimming."
He looked down at his uniform and grimaced. Well, this will be fun.

Antwerp
Now

Arkady had dried by the time by the time he drove into Antwerp, in a Renault that had had its windows all shot out. He'd had to walk for miles after swimming out of Brussels, in his sodden uniform, before sticking some kid up for his motorcycle using his pistol. The bike had run out of gas quite quickly, so he'd had to walk again, then picked up a bicycle that was lying by the side of the road for no apparent reason.
Naturally, his front tire burst after he ran over a nail after a few miles, so he'd walked until he'd come upon the Renault- still running. After some very cautious driving through the eerily abandoned countryside and suburbs, he'd finally reached Antwerp.

There was a dead man on the ground in the street when the car ran out of gas. He had no visible wounds, nor was there any debris around him or blood on his mid-grade brown suit. He simply lay facedown in the street, alone with the silence in signifying the city's impending doom.
Arkady stepped on him as he was getting out, picking up his phone.
A few taps and some codewords later, and the Center was on the line.
"Maria?"
"Jesus, finally. Could you not have brought a spare phone?"
"Cut it out," he said sharply. "Is the Silver Star still here?"
"It was at the port when some kind of plasma bomb got dropped. ETs don't appear to be on the premises or terribly interested, but the ship was damaged and the Center ordered it to get the hell out with the other operatives who were on board. I hope you're okay, since you clearly ran into trouble on the road."
"I'm fine. Do we have an extraction plan for me?"
"We're working on it." Maria's voice was harried and exhausted. "Check in hourly and I'll keep you appraised. Until then, proceed to the refugee camp around City Hall. There should be supplies there and food if you're going to have to wait for a while, as well as ways to contact the Center. I'll talk to you later."

Arkady left his Renault several blocks away and took out his pistol, picking his way through Antwerp's eerily empty and almost-untouched streets towards the camp- but was that voices he could make out?
He called ahead in French, from behind a row of tents. "Who's that?"
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:37 pm

CPL LINDSAY BLACK-SHARROW
NACHTEGALENPARK
OUTSKIRTS OF ANTWERP

Even the roads up were empty. Empty of life, at least; abandoned cars, parcels and suitcases littered both sides of the E19. Some overturned, and almost all looking like they'd had a bad night after a football match. Not a single lorry or bus in sight - the drivers had no doubt loaded on every single person they could just to placate the crowd. Tossing out cargo as needed. Still, the journey hadn't been so bad. Doubtless the rest of her patrol were having a rather more difficult time making their way to Ghent and Bruges, fighting the flow of refugees westward to the coast. They had taken a friendly go at her before setting out from the Embassy, and at the figures milling about the Canadian compound down the way.

The chill touched her neck as she opened the door of the Embassy sedan, and she drew up the lapels of her uniform against it. Then, almost unwillingly, straightened her emerald grey beret. It was one thing to look like a friendly to civilians, but rather pointless when the enemy wasn't human. Not that a helmet would fare well against their energy weapons, but the professional soldier in her balked at the idea anyway. A quick look around showed only a dozen or so figures, with three to one side in a loose triangle. The L131A1 in its holster thunked quietly against the steering wheel as she got out and circled around to the trunk for her rifle.

A lot of Czechs, someone in an ATHENA uniform, and a Frenchwoman, Lindsay noted. Safe enough.

Senkaku wrote:(snip)

Arkady left his Renault several blocks away and took out his pistol, picking his way through Antwerp's eerily empty and almost-untouched streets towards the camp- but was that voices he could make out?
He called ahead in French, from behind a row of tents. "Who's that?"

The newcomer, on the other hand...

She dropped flat again and continued to watch the scene for a few more moments before getting up and moving closer to the group, away from the road, rifle at the low ready just in case this was all a DRAPEAU trick.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Antwerp, Belgium
Feldwebel Odetta Carrius

"Retreat, Hell! We're just advancing in another direction."
-Oliver P. Smith

The loss at Oosterbeek was devastating. None of the Athena operatives had expected it. None of the governments that had lost their interest in funding the operation had expected it. The whole world was at a loss for words. For, in a a mere few hours, the largest alien attack to date had been launched. The creatures of space had destroyed the base of the most competent at killing them in an unexpected surprise invasion.

Odetta wasn't there to see it. She had been back on the homefront, making sure that her lawn wasn't taken over by yet another one of those things. Ever since Germany had declared war on the aliens, she had been fighting nonstop, calling out points of attack and otherwise keeping the borders safe. It wasn't until several days ago that she could take a break, with the defenses finally erected and operational.

But, as she sat inside the armored personnel carrier headed inside the ghost of Antwerp, she couldn't help but feel worried for her parents. A loving mother and a caring father that she had grown with. Were they fine in Aachen? Wouldn't they move somewhere that's not several hundred kilometers from the front line? She didn't know what her father had in mind, but she did know that the man was hardheaded in keeping the house he grew up in safe. There was almost no telling him to get out. Her mother on the other hand...

Odetta was jolted by a sudden bump and the screech of a brake being clutched. The Marder came to a stop, and the hatch was opened from the outside. The small, seven man squad poured out, one or two of them releasing the contents of their stomach from the terrible ride. APCs weren't known for their comfort after all. As she joined them outside, Odetta could see fully well that the evacuation had been complete. Not a single civilian was in sight, all replaced by the combined NATO forces that had banded together.

As her squad dispersed to complete their objectives, Odetta looked around for the ATHENA operators that had already arrived. And sure enough, she saw some friendly faces. The Czech fool and the French girl. She slung the G3SG/1 battle rifle over her shoulder and walked towards them with hands in her pockets. She also noticed several more people joining them, of whom she worked with during her time in ATHENA but never really took notice of.

"Guten tag, Franzose, Tschechin, and the rest of you," she greeted.
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING
Check out my Deviantart for shit drawings!
Member of Task Force Atlas
Holy Messenger of Imperialjapanism and Twin Sibling of Shyluz
Shyluz wrote:The second 'tanks' was said, it was all over.

Gensokyu wrote:So that happened.

They say that in the great wars of NS Summer, there was one who did not fight with blood, but with iron. They named this one the Master of Tanks, and the thunderous sound of cannon and the rattling of machine guns could be heard far and wide, the crossroads before the capital of CotM being defended by this valiant one until it stood alone. Shitposters layed in droves, and entire army having been slain by the might of Sonitusia, Master of Tanks, Commandant of Iron, and Slinger of Shells.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:59 am

Marilee Thomas
Belgium, 10km east of Antwerp

Thick black smoke coiled up into the sky, the oily stench of burning motor oil hugging the dirt and filling Marilee's nostrils. The young sergeant coughed roughly, rolling from her back onto her side, trying and failing to push herself up from the scorched earth. Her vision was swimming, duplicates and triplicates flashing in front of her while the world spun in a dizzying spiral. Her stomach lurched, and she barely managed to keep everything in place. Spitting a mouthful of blood and bile, Marilee tried to remember how she'd ended up in this situation.

She'd been travelling west in an open top Jeep of civilian-make, as the military had lost most of their own vehicles when the aliens bombed their motor pools. Accompanying her were a handful of other soldiers, each one separated from their platoons, either separated from them during the combat or the sole survivors. She was the only ATHENA troop, the rest were NATO, mostly French though there was one American. There had been an APC in front of them, to crash through the occasional obstacle or abandon vehicle that would prove too much for the Jeep. They'd been evacuating to Antwerp, the last troops to leave the shattered lines and were entering the city limits when... there'd been an explosion. A flash of green, and then flying through the air, the ground rushing up at her face, a sharp pain in her forehead.

Marilee was finally able to focus her vision into a single image, and rose into an unsteady kneel. She scanned the scene carefully, trying to piece everything together. The APC was some fifty feet ahead of her, a massive hole in the top, torn to pieces. No bodies had fallen out, thank goodness. Her stomach probably couldn't handle that, right at the moment. Karma's a bitch, of course, and as she turned around she saw the body of her now-dead navigator hanging in his seatbelt, a long shard of metal pinning him to the car seat. Marilee promptly emptied the contents of her stomach, and spent the next five minutes dry heaving.

'No... no, fuck this. Get up, get moving, start walking.'

Rising to her feet, Marilee managed only a few steps before her left leg gave out. She gritted her teeth against the pain, and checked her leg over with cautious fingers, quickly finding the problem. A gash in her thigh, about four inches long, clogged with bloody dirt. She'd need to get that cleaned and dressed before going anywhere, and before it became gangrenous. Which meant she'd have to brave the APC, and hope to whatever sadistic, son-of-a-bitch god was up there that it's medical supplies hadn't been completely destroyed. Crawling along the ground as quickly as she could, she gagged on the stench of death spilling out of the over-sized metal coffin as she drew near. Propping herself up against the windshield, it was with great effort that Marilee dragged herself on top of the overturned vehicle. Swinging the driver side door open, she did her best to ignore the shattered body of the driver as she rooted underneath the seat for the emergency supplies which she knew to be stored there.

"Paydirt..." she muttered to herself, immediately regretting opening her mouth as an amalgam of just plain awful tastes coated her tongue.

Dropping back down to the ground, she propped her back up against the undercarriage of the vehicle, diving into the emergency supplies and triumphantly pulling out the medical kit. She unbuckled her belt and pulled her pants down far enough to expose the wound, wincing at every movement. With a steadying breath she quickly and thoroughly washed away the dirt and grit, shouting enough profanity into the wind that whatever alien bastards were lingering around would no doubt blush in embarrassment. Fighting through the pain, she pulled the wound close as blood began welling up, securing it with a line of butterfly closures; then, a few quick wraps of virgin-white gauze, topped off with a cotton dressing to keep everything clean and secure. Time to see if she could fly with a clipped wing.

"Upsy daisy-"

So, fine, it wasn't so much flying as it was... gliding? Controlled falling? Fuck it, she wasn't in the right frame of mind to be coming up with bullshit analogies. She could walk, at a reasonable pace, and that was what mattered. Steeling her empty stomach, Marilee spent a few more minutes scavenging supplies, a relatively intact backpack, and weapons and ammunition from the wrecks around her. To her great displeasure, she found that the whole scene bothered her much less than it had a minute ago; brutal massacres weren't something she ever wanted to be comfortable with.

It was a under an hour before she made it into Antwerp; though her leg burned with every step it had done nothing to slow her pace, a thought that was met with grim determination. That's why she was a sergeant in the most elite military unit Earth had to offer, at the tender age of twenty-eight, and damn anyone who tried to tell her otherwise.

Antwerp itself was mostly abandoned, like every other place she'd passed on her way westward. A few people were staying, of course, for one reason or another, but they were an extremely small minority. Hefting the BMCR she'd taken from the dead soldiers that she'd been travelling with, Marilee gave the streets only cursory glances. If the aliens were here in force then they wouldn't be hiding their presence, they didn't need to, and she doubted that ARES or anyone else was lurking about; humanity had just suffered it's most devastating military defeat ever, not even they would be mucking about. Would they? She shook her head. It didn't matter either way, it's not like she was in a position to do anything about it. She carried on south through the city; the day was young, if she really pushed herself then she could conceivably make it to Brussels before having to sleep. 'A working vehicle would make things easier', she thought sourly.

The sound of voices drifted towards her ears from up ahead, French, Metropolitan judging from the accents. And... was that a Czech accent? And Canadian French as well? Either there were an abnormally wide variety of non-French, French-speaking NATO troops up ahead, or...

"ATHENA. Has ta be." Marilee muttered, picking up her pace in anticipation, emphasizing her awkward gait. "Hey," she called out as she turned the corner, somewhat foolishly, "Hey, you folks ATHENA?"
Last edited by Camicon on Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Unified Free Lands
Senator

Founded: Jul 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Free Lands » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:28 am

Antwerp

"So this must be what Novi Sad looked like, after the NATO devils bombed it," Anka muttered in Serbian, as she approached the ghost town in a jeep that didn't have much fuel left. I'll be lucky to make it to the location before running out...

The emptiness of the city was unusual for sure, and it unnerved her quite a bit. Let's just find the others and get out of here, she thought. It also made her sick to her stomach that she'd be relying on NATO to evacuate... The same organization that had caused her childhood to be one of poverty, that had inflicted death and destruction on her home country. I might hate them but it's not like there's another way to escape.

Why the hell did I sign up for this? she thought with a sigh as she pulled into the area with the tents and climbed out. If I tanked out of the Foreign Legion, what made me think I could succeed here?

She leaned on the jeep for a moment, composing herself and staring at her reflection in the side mirror. Focus, Anka. You might hate half of these people but it's probably a good idea to not show it, she thought as she reached into her pocket and put on a necklace shaped like a heart but was colored like the Serbian flag, the necklace that she had carried with her since moving abroad for college in California.

She stared harder at her reflection, adjusting her hair slightly before opening the passenger side door and picking up the AK-103 that was lying on the passenger seat, deciding to carry it instead of strapping it to her back. Better carry it in case there's trouble...

And so Anka approached the others, deciding it would be best to hang back and wait until someone spoke to her. That wasn't a good move, because it made her get more fidgety and awkward as she stood in the background. Hopefully we'll get over with this quickly...
Here lies a bad OP.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:31 pm

Roger Kendall,

North Antwerp

He'd been walking for days. Or maybe weeks. Was hard to tell. Too much effort to keep track of how many times the Sun passed overhead since his Opel decided to die in the middle of nowhere. He'd been alone for so damn long. His unit had been cut to pieces during the initial blitz, scattered all over the place. There hadn't been any time for proper chain of command, proper orders, just a simple 'fall the hell back, God-damnit!' from his superiors and then silence.

He hadn't even gotten to properly learn their names.

So far, he'd lived off scavenging; people had been too busy running to take everything. His NATO rations had lasted three days, then he was onto eating whatever he found. It wasn't exactly comfortable or nice, but it worked. He'd kept off the main roads too; could never be too careful.

But the time for carefulness was over, he mused, as he walked down the N1, his M27 hanging from his shoulder, patting against his hip and at the ready, while the M249 was strapped to his rucksack. Said rucksack had a sleeping bag strapped to the top, and was otherwise full of tins of Spam or bottles of water at varying levels of fullness.

The N1 was quiet. It would be. Wasn't a major road into Antwerp, but it was the way he chose. Not even clogged by that many cars, but he went through the ones that were. Never knew what you might find in there that was useful. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything useful in any of them, bar a 2022 edition European map, which he took. Never knew when you might need a road map.

Antwerp was even more quiet than the open tarmac of the N1 had been. Sure, everything looked normal, it was just... Empty. Not that he had any idea what to look for here. Hopefully NATO had stuck up some signs or some NGO had. Antwerp was the largest, or one of the, largest ports in Western Europe. He'd bet his life that there would be an evac hub somewhere chock-full of supplies.

And after a brief amount of walking, searching and getting hopelessly lost (stupid European cities and their non-grid layouts), he finally spied the vaguest hint of a flapping blue piece of cloth at the end of a street. A UN flag. And wherever the UN went, there would be supplies. Hopefully. He flipped the M27's safety off, and advanced down the street. Couldn't be too careful. He stopped as soon as he heard voices. French, maybe? He'd never bothered to learn it. He knelt, re-slung his M27 and readied the M249, flipping out it's bi-pod, and then finally moved out of the cover of the street into the camp properly, ears alert for the voices.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Bentus
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Emilie Girard
Antwerp

The entrance of the ten soldiers took Emilie by surprise. Practically throwing down her makeshift meal, the Frenchwoman drew her sidearm in a fluid motion rather than reach over for the rifle leaning against the table to her right. In less than a second, she had the weapon cocked and the Czechs aligned with its sights, at which point Emilie sighed with relief. The soldier scolded her lack of caution, had it been ET who’d come knocking, she’d have been butchered where she sat.

Emilie gestured half-heartedly towards the newcomers, but her gaze remained suspicious as they began to rummage through the food stock. Her own reservations caught her off-guard, by all accounts she should have been elated at having run into some more friendlies – and yet she kept her pistol ready on the table. Her eyes followed one of the Czechs as he approached, guessing that he was probably the squad leader. It was impossible to discern any expression from the featureless helm, and Emilie couldn’t even say for sure whether she was dealing with a man or a woman beneath the thick, characteristic armour plating.

“Cela est une vue familière.”

The familiar voice almost caused Emilie to choke. Of all the things that could have happened, this had been the last that she’d been expecting. As the helmet was removed to reveal the grinning face beneath, Emilie sat in stunned silence. Quickly trying to regain her composure, her mouth moved to try and form a response, but nothing quite felt right as all the memories of her time in Athena came flooding back.

“…Artem?” She eventually managed, but was immediately cut off from her reverie by another figure.

“What’re the fucking odds, huh?”

The scarred visage was another recognisable face from her Athena years, the man lowering his own weapon. Emilie cast another passing glance towards Artem before standing with a wide grin, walking over towards the elite warrior, her meal forgotten.

“Hermann! Zut, it is good to see you – didn’t think Athena made it after what happened to Ooster.” Emilie offered a friendly slap on the shoulder, before recoiling at the stench that seemed to be emanating from his body. “Mon dieu, you smell like absolute shit, did the powers-that-be decide that showering cost too much for the budget as well?”

From there, it seemed as if more and more people were drawn to the camp – the number of surviving soldiers eventually growing to a meaningful level, with one or two additional old faces making an appearance. Emilie nodded curtly towards Odetta, smiling at the German woman’s characteristically frank greeting – wasn’t as if they hadn’t seen each other in three years. Emilie’s mind was racing ahead, her half-baked plans for reaching Brussels – all essentially suicidal – being tossed aside at the prospect of safety and strength in numbers.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
At peace.

Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

Vacif
Senator

Founded: Mar 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vacif » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:26 pm

Vince Farkas
Antwerp

They'd been travelling for days. The aliens had boldly attacked in the early hours of the day, most men just waking up or switching out of the night shift. Any support they had was soon destroyed as fliers took out the motorpool and command post. The Line was in complete disarray as any remaining soldiers attempted to organize some kind of formation. There wasn't much time before the ETs advanced. The defenders had put up enough of a fight for the dazed and drowsy soldiers to get their heads working albeit barely. Within an hour, Farkas' part of the line had fallen, and the remaining soldiers were committed to a "fighting retreat". Vince, retaining the rank of "major" had been leading a rough platoon of NATO soldiers towards Antwerp. As the aliens pushed further inland, the more dangerous it got to move in large groups, on top of their limited rations. He'd ordered the platoon to break into smaller groups and rally at the camp at townhall. To his relief, some of those that had survived were from his original unit. Naturally, his team would compromise of members of the 34th KMZ.

It was unsettling to say the least whenever they entered the towns, or passed through cities. Just days ago, they were vibrant population centres filled with culture, and life. Now, it was empty, the only inhabitants being corpses, or animals. It made Vince feel a little bit better when they procured supplies from the towns, as it was technically stealing, but they were away and unlikely to return. The 6 man team had been riding towards the rally point on bikes, not wanting to risk getting spotted by air patrols, or be heard by packs of blues, and greys. They'd taken probably enough supplies to feed a small village when they'd looted for supplies, risking the extra encumberance for more food, water, and medicine.

He wasn't quite sure what day it was, but they were at Antwerp, and there was no sign of the other units. he grimaced at this but pressed on. Townhall was the only thing they had going for them. After a short rest, they boarded their bikes, and rode towards the city. They stuck closer to the buildings, not wanting to get spotted by any aerial aliens.
Looking for help on Pub-lishing your RP? Come check us out!
Nation name pronounced Vuh-sea-f, sometimes shortened to Vac, or 'Cif.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:04 pm

The smile previously on my face at the reintroduction to a few old friends dropped at the mention of Ooster. "Not many, less than a dozen. Luckie got sheared in half, Commander got disintegrated. The science team... Fuck me the science team. Ooster's glass now, twenty minutes of walking and suddenly there was a second sun on the horizon. It might've been the reactor or the self destruct." I sighed, my mood raising a bit, "As for the smell, me and the others got separated by a grey patrol, I had to... wander my way through the sewers for an hour... So if you have any spare socks, I'd appreciate it."

I turned at the introduction of a few others. Including Odetta, the fellow German and I hadn't always gotten along, but right now any past transgressions went out the window, the more faces I was familiar with the smaller chance of infiltrators.

Another face, Marilee Thomas, Former ATHENA as well.... A thought occurred to me, "Y'know guys, the aliens have psychics, and they can influence thought... I don't think we're here by coincidence... not entirely at least."
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Shyluz
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shyluz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Bentus wrote:-- snippers --

Artem grinned as the signature glasses flicked from the padded pocket and onto their standard perch. "The one and only, Emilie. As you can see, I've brought friends." He said, gesturing to the nine other Czechs who cluttered the tent, giving gestures of acknowledgement to the other NATO forces there. "We'd be the SCK's Thursday Platoon." He continued, giving a slight grin as he caught a ration thrown at him. "So what've the rest of ATHENA been up to since Ooster fell, Herram? I was there, after all. Convinced the higher ups that we should salvage any ATHENA tech before it got glassed... we weren't exactly given the opportunity to though."
Otherwise known as Nornsmark for official, region-ey things.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:59 pm

Moscow
GRU Headquarters

"Ivan! Finally, I've been looking for you." Maria's fingers worked busily with the spring-mechanism of her pen, clicking it furiously.
Ivan, as ever, looked as grave and severe as a Murmansk winter, his uniform crisp, his lined face drawn into battle formation around his graying beard and mustache. He handed Maria a manila envelope, his grey eyes veiled with a glaze of professional disinterest.
"Is this the extraction plan?"
He shook his head. "Arkady is not being extracted. We have lost contact with the Severodvinsk after alien aircraft were detected moving on a bearing over it, seemingly towards London."
Maria's jaw dropped. "Jesus Christ. It's gone?"
"Thermal readings indicate that there is now a plume of vaporized seawater about a kilometer high, within our GPS margin of error for its last position. I'm told all boomers are immediately being sent further, so we can at least have some warning if they go after our nukes."
"Are the rumors true, then? A nuclear attack?"
Ivan shrugged. "Neither of our security clearances are high enough to know that. But with the enemy marching through Poland, I do not think we will be ruling anything out."
She took a deep breath to get a hold of her emotions. "Do we still have Silver Star?"
"Silver Star reported the strike. Our other assets are safe... if you can call it that. They're being sent to Reykjavik, if I recall. Just read the file."
"But what about Arkady?"
"I suppose he will have to make do, or die with the rest."

BENELUX Group: Operations
Emergency Briefing: ET Thrust

In light of the recent thrust by alien forces past the UN Combined Forces defensive perimeter, BENELUX analysts and operational directors should keep in mind new policy coordinated by the Directorate and the Kremlin, as well as recent developments.

-The submarine Severodvinsk is missing and presumed destroyed. As it was previously serving as the main carrier for evacuated agents from Antwerp, rerouting protocols should be considered. Currently, all operatives on board are bound for Reykjavik, but Keflavik International Airport is functional and operating flights to Trondheim, from where a connection can be made to Saint Petersburg.

-The freighter Silver Star was damaged leaving Antwerp, killing and wounding several operatives on board. These are BOREAS, MONTEZUMA, GABRIEL, and ELECTRA. Operations involving BOREAS, MONTEZUMA, GABRIEL, and ELECTRA must be either modified or shut down, while any operations involving ELEUSIS or CHARNABON should be postponed due to injuries sustained by them.

-ATREUS, due to issues evacuating his operational zone, is currently stranded on the mainland. Due to the extremely dangerous situation, no attempts are to be made to extract him until further notice.

Antwerp

Arkady's call went apparently unanswered- but whoever was beyond the row of tents was speaking French, and from the sounds of it they were soldiers or even ATHENA members.
Before he could step out to say hello, the phone he'd grabbed off the dead man buzzed once. He smoothly took it out of his pocket, crouching- a new message from a blocked number. Well, I wonder who on Earth that could possibly be.
New orders: call in twice daily. Extraction too dangerous. Provide updates and intel as you can get it.

-TANTALUS

Of course she couldn't even say it over the phone. It had to be by text- "we're leaving you to die, Arkady, but I won't even speak to you!" He tucked it into his pocket, sighing, and stood, walking out from behind the row of tents he'd been standing behind with his pistol hanging loosely at his side.
"You are all ATHENA, then? It sounds as if your headquarters has been hit even harder than Brussels," he said quietly. "I am Arkady Semyanin, part of the Russian command staff."
Last edited by Senkaku on Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Camicon wrote:"ATHENA. Has to be." Marilee muttered, picking up her pace in anticipation, emphasizing her awkward gait. "Hey," she called out as she turned the corner, somewhat foolishly, "Hey, you folks ATHENA?"

Unified Free Lands wrote:And so Anka approached the others, deciding it would be best to hang back and wait until someone spoke to her. That wasn't a good move, because it made her get more fidgety and awkward as she stood in the background. Hopefully we'll get over with this quickly...

"Yes and no," said Lindsay, approaching from her left. "I suspect we'll work all that out later, you look like the other guy cut up rough. Only hope you cut up rougher." She stood back, the battle rifle in her hands hovering vaguely between the pair of them and the larger group.

"I recognize a few of them, actually. Girard and the head Czech. They seem like a bunch of medics from what I understand, so there should be at least one of them who could patch you up. Not to mention Farkas over there, it's been a while since I've seen him. Saved my arse on South Sandwich Island. Now you two," she put to Anka and Roger, "I don't recognize, and I'll appreciate it if you dropped your Minimi." The barrel of her own HK417 drifted up to point at the man's midsection.

"Introductions all round? I'll start. Corporal Black-Sharrow, British Army, seconded to ATHENA."
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

Vacif
Senator

Founded: Mar 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vacif » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:24 pm

The Hungarian team peddled into the camp silently. The dead city was troubling, but they hadn't seen any bodies yet, so they'd felt better about that. There was talking in the tents, but a few women were outside in the courtyard. They were...familiar. His team fanned out, and started searching the camp, and securing the perimeter. He listened in on the conversations casually, taking in the information. Some very familiar names popped up before being brought up himself. His AK-63M was cradled in his arms as he approached from the sidelines. He trusted that none of these soldiers were hostile, albeit a bit on edge. "Army-Major Vince Farkas, Hungarian 34th KMZ. Recently rejoined with ATHENA." He introduced in his baritone voice, accented with his Hungarian accent. "Have you seen any other NATO units coming from the west?" He was genuinely concerned for the well being of the survivors from his section, he'd given the order to split off, and he'd be damned if they'd died because of it.
Looking for help on Pub-lishing your RP? Come check us out!
Nation name pronounced Vuh-sea-f, sometimes shortened to Vac, or 'Cif.

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:44 am

Antwerp, Belgium
Feldwebel Odetta Carrius

As per usual, not many people even recognized Odetta, let alone greet her as she came in. She had expected at least a word from the Czech idiot, but it seemed he was too infatuated with Emilie to care. Then again, he'd always been like that, so there wasn't any changing it.

So with that in order, she decided all she could do for the time being was take care of her unit. The platoon of reconnaissance troops from Gebirgsaufklärungsbataillon 230 was tasked as the eyes for the defense of Antwerp, and they were currently taking care of their equipment. Radios, optics, weapons, whatever they could stuff into the two Marder infantry fighting vehicles they had arrived in. She looked around and found her commander, Leutnant Max Stahlmann; a man who generally regarded her and the platoon quite well. But she'd be damned if he could create an actual offensive tactic with any regard for strategy.

Luckily, everything was already planned by the main company. Keep all fronts lit up, and make sure nothing passes by without a warning for Antwerp. Just another day at work.

"Ah, Carrius," Max called out, gesturing for her to come over. She jogged up to him and saluted, the man replying with one of his own. "Okay, I'm going to send the first squad towards the border with Feldwebel Rotmann, and I want your squad ready to move afterwards, ja?" She nodded briskly as she watched one of the Marders move away from the town, bringing with it Rotmann's squad of some of Germany's finest men and women at detecting enemy movements.

Come back alive, you seven.
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING
Check out my Deviantart for shit drawings!
Holy Messenger of Imperialjapanism and Twin Sibling of Shyluz
Shyluz wrote:The second 'tanks' was said, it was all over.

Gensokyu wrote:So that happened.

They say that in the great wars of NS Summer, there was one who did not fight with blood, but with iron. They named this one the Master of Tanks, and the thunderous sound of cannon and the rattling of machine guns could be heard far and wide, the crossroads before the capital of CotM being defended by this valiant one until it stood alone. Shitposters layed in droves, and entire army having been slain by the might of Sonitusia, Master of Tanks, Commandant of Iron, and Slinger of Shells.

Bentus
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:47 am

Emilie Girard
Antwerp

Emilie cocked an eyebrow when Hermann suggested that their meeting may have predetermined. She tried to brush aside his comments about Ooster and the rest of Athena, deciding that there’d be time to mourn the poor bastards later – preferably back on the friendly side of the front. She cast a glance over towards Artem, with a look that displayed her scepticism of the German’s theory. It wasn’t as far-fetched as it initially sounded though; DRAPEAU had taught Athena the brutal lesson that humans could share the aliens’ psychic capabilities. Emilie couldn’t bring that up out loud however, there was no way of telling what kind of clearance the non-Athena personnel had.

“Emilie Girard, caporal-chef de première classe of l’Armée de terre.” She was surprised to see the Russian, and couldn’t help but regard the man cautiously. Last she’d heard, the Eastern Front wasn’t doing an awful lot better than the NATO lines – Emilie didn’t doubt for a moment that part of the spook’s job was to keep an eye on his country’s allies of convenience. “I used to be with Athena, but times change.”

Lindsay’s arrival drew Emilie’s attention to one of the other new arrivals. The woman looked vaguely familiar from her time in Athena, Marilee was it? “I’m a medic.” Casting a look over the bloody portion of the woman’s combat fatigues, Emilie noted that it looked like she’d patched herself up well enough. “I can take a look at that if you’d like, I have more than enough supplies to make it to Brussels so there’s no point conserving.”

Emilie shook her head in disbelief as one of the others asked if she’d seen anyone else coming from the West. “Everyone with a head on their shoulders is heading in the opposite direction right now, trying to regroup with Command. The last I heard was that Brussel’s is the rally point so we can organise a proper evacuation to the new defensive line.” She’d spoken before thinking about the reasons why the man had asked the question, and cursed herself immediately afterwards.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
At peace.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Roger Kendall,

Antwerp

"I ain't dropping shit. Not here." Roger snorted. "I don't know you. I don't trust you. Ergo, gun stays where it is. Especally since we're... Well, here. You find with that? Not that it'll make a difference. She stays where she is." He glanced over the others. Half had uniforms he didn't recognise, probably minor European armies. Poles, Czechs, Austrians. That lot. Bunch of useless states, just using them against the Ruskies. Never bothered sending them any help in Iraq or Afganistan.

The others, well, how couldn't you recognise them. ATHENA had been all over the news. World's E.T killing machines, if you believed the hype. Bunch of glory-savouring show-boaters. Never fought a proper war in their lives.

"Anyways, since it seems like most of y'all know each other, Roger Kendall. Sergant, USMC. Unit doesn't matter, since it's gone. Drove down from Holland, walked the rest of the way after I ran outta gas. Nasty fuckin' buisness up that way." He smiled wistfully. "Reminds me of the Iraqis back in '03. We're runnin' just like they did. I preferred being the chaser."
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Antwerp

Arkady perked up at the mention of Brussels, his pale face setting into a grim, slanted smile as his eyes locked onto to Emilie. Apparently they've done a poor job of spreading the word, he thought to himself, and spoke up in his quiet, Russian-accented French. She is about to be sorely disappointed, I think.

"I was in Brussels several hours ago, at UN Command. I had to go through some old sewer and into the river to escape- the aliens were dropping airborne units and bombing us heavily." He gestured at his uniform, which bore several small scorch marks and tears and was wrinkled from having dried out after his swim. "Last I heard, reinforcements were moving north from France, but I think their intent was to re-establish a perimeter and try and help the evacuation, not hold the city. Only... God, last I heard only 60% of the civilians had been evacuated. The forces in the city were mainly protecting evac points, the command center itself was bombed flat. I'm surprised you hadn't heard." He shrugged. "But it would have fallen soon enough, anyways. I've no notion what sort of plans have been made for a new defensive line."
Well, strictly speaking, I've illegally stolen and viewed most of the plans and sent them off to Moscow... but I don't think anyone has to know that yet. Or ever.

Unified Free Lands
Senator

Founded: Jul 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Free Lands » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:19 pm

"I'm Anka Jezdimirovic, private, formerly Foreign Legion," Anka stated in Serbo-Croatian, before realizing that nobody would understand her and repeating what she had just said in English. "Well, almost. I failed training, Athena took me in because of, er, psychology."

Damn my English, she thought, wishing that she had studied English harder while she was at Cal. Serbo-Croatian was still her preferred language, even though she was also fluent in Russian, but even though she knew enough English to get by, it obviously wasn't her first choice, and she felt like it would make her more awkward in conversation. Where's the other Slavs like me in Athena? All I see are NATO soldiers. Anka didn't just feel awkward because of her language issues, she felt outclassed. She hadn't even been able to make it into the Foreign Legion, and it seemed like some of these people were accomplished, or at least good enough at their jobs to make it through training. Stay calm. You're probably the smartest one here. You have what they don't. Her eyes moved from person to person, taking mental pictures of their faces. She recognized a couple Athena members, even though she had enlisted too soon to actually get to know them. Some of them probably didn't even know her name. Her eyes settled on Emilie, who she looked at quite intently for a few seconds. Wait, am I staring? Shit.

Anka quickly looked away, going back to scanning the faces of the others, setting her eyes on the Czechs and Germans. I don't trust them... But we'll have to work together for now. She then looked to Arkady. Huh, he looks like a Slav... Interesting. He's not a Bosnian for sure, maybe he's a Russian.
Here lies a bad OP.

Pan Asian Amercian Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pan Asian Amercian Coalition » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Corporal Allen-Montegomery, Antwerp

Heavy bootsteps echoed through the narrow alleys of Antwerp as Edgar made haste towards the abandoned camp. The dust had yet to settle even after a few days, choking the air with concrete and ash, slowing his progress through the partially razed city. His thoughts raced as he did, to keep his mind off the state of Antwerp, running through where he needed to go for supplies. Edgar had fought during the initial defense of the evacuation centers, but was left behind as the NATO armor battalion he was working with was vaporized one by one from the alien airstrikes and shock troops. He tried hard not to dwell on that, or why the cities were seemingly so empty, knowing full well how the civilians fared during the attacks. But now, he was running low on food and camping supplies, and needed whatever was left at the camp. He hoped it would be chock full of goods, but he knew better than to think like that.

Slowing down a few blocks up the road from the UN camp and catching his breath, he slowed his approach, battle-scared SCAR ready and raised. The city was abandoned by humans, sure, but who knew if the aliens had any surprises waiting for him. Some good news in the form of the delightful, guttural growling of a human-made diesel engine was coming from the camp. Vehicles, and running vehicles meant people. Moving low and slow, he gradually moved up on the entrance and snuck into the camp, quite a feat for a man with an decently full pack and an AT-4 strapped to his back. He made his way through the camp, moving cautiously. Near the stockpile, he heard people speaking, all in some foreign language he had never given a damn about before, but one of them sounded familiar.

Edgar slowly came from around a corner, into plain view of the others, rifle lowered.

"Glad to see I'm not the only one still alive around here!" he said, genuinely pleased for the first time in days.
"Scientia viam libertatis "...................................................................................... ///I take my realism with cream and sugar///
MT/Near Future. Mechs, Railguns, Jet VTOLs, Etc.
Factbook under construction. Nat'l Anthem
Humanist Demi-Socialist Technocractic Militant Democracy. Quite a mouthfull, ain't it?
The End of Oil.------Tank otaku. Panzer is my passion!
XCOM Alphabet
Rupudska wrote:
Pan Asian Amercian Coalition wrote:Nice to see that this is back.

You are impressively slow.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:"Yes and no," said Lindsay, approaching from her left. "I suspect we'll work all that out later, you look like the other guy cut up rough. Only hope you cut up rougher." She stood back, the battle rifle in her hands hovering vaguely between the pair of them and the larger group.
"I recognize a few of them, actually. Girard and the head Czech. They seem like a bunch of medics from what I understand, so there should be at least one of them who could patch you up. Not to mention Farkas over there, it's been a while since I've seen him. Saved my arse on South Sandwich Island. Now you two," she put to Anka and Roger, "I don't recognize, and I'll appreciate it if you dropped your Minimi." The barrel of her own HK417 drifted up to point at the man's midsection.
"Introductions all round? I'll start. Corporal Black-Sharrow, British Army, seconded to ATHENA."

Marilee Thomas
Belgium, Antwerp

"Yeah, the other guy was flying around inna spaceship, so I'm pretty sure they're lookin' better than I am. Anyways I've cleaned and dressed what needed ta be cleaned and dressed, no reason ta go wastin' any medical supplies. Pro'lly need 'em later, there're alien fuckers about. Somewhere. Anyways, Sergeant Marilee Thomas. I was one of ATHENA's cuts back in '23, bounced from JTF2 ta NATO JSOC, and now back ta ATHENA." She scoffed with dark amusement. "Fat fuckin' load of good that did me. Think I remember a few of you, though. Girard, yeah, Farkas, Yurivich. Monty!" She nodded at each in turn, raising her voice and waving at Allen-Montgomery as he approached.
Vacif wrote:"Have you seen any other NATO units coming from the west?" He was genuinely concerned for the well being of the survivors from his section, he'd given the order to split off, and he'd be damned if they'd died because of it.
"Just came from there, actually; I was with the last convoy out, got bombed ten klicks out of Antwerp, 'bout an hour back. Imma only one crawled outta that mess. Any other survivors are either dead, if they grouped up at Brussels, or farther west than us."

Not so subtly, Marilee hefted her rifle at the American marine, Kendall. "Y'know, ARES gave us a lotta trouble last time 'round. Mostly 'Mericans, from what I remember. Lotsa vets. Keeping that rifle down would really help convince the rest of us that you aren't." She kept an eye on the American, but getting out of Antwerp was more important at the moment. She raised her voice, so everyone could hear. "Anyone got a lead on transport outta here? I don't really wanna get bombed twice in one day, and I'd rather not walk nine hours on the off-chance that the motor pools at Brussels aren't entirely slag."
Last edited by Camicon on Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:-snip-

Lunas Legion wrote:-snip-

Camicon wrote:-snip-

I noticed a slight altercation a bit away, I muttered under my breath, "Great..."

I strode over through the gathering crowd and stood between the two, "So I realize you two might have some unhappy thoughts about each other, but seeing as how the whole tea debacle ended well over 300 years ago. I don't think you have a reason to fight, seeing as how humanity is currently on getting it's nuts stomped. So how about both of you stop being so confrontational?" I paused for a moment, "Sergeant Wolfram Herrman, ATHENA, formerly JTF-2." Marilee then said something I had quite a ear for. Although she may have had a point, now wasn't the time to let assumptions run wild.
Last edited by Anowa on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Lindsay Black-Sharrow
Antwerp

"Hello, Monty," Lindsay put in, sparing him a quick smile. "Long time no see. Forgive the standoff here, it's only a small ruckus," she added, addressing him, Anka and the new Canadian, Herrmann. Stepping back so she could keep her rifle trained on Kendall and see the others clearly, she paused in thought for a few moments.

"Foreign Legion? Pleasure to meet you, then. It's rare that one of you comes up for air in Europe," she said to Anka in French. To Marilee, Emilie, and Arkady, she commented, back in English, "Our embassy was still intact when I left. I can take a few people once we all settle down a bit and get organized. I definitely can't transport everyone's squaddies, though. Max of four, plus one if someone is willing to lie down in the boot. Perhaps we should spread out and find other transport? Things seem relatively quiet as far as the enemy, and I wouldn't mind doing a bit of scouting."

There was a brief moment when her accent flattened out in mid-speech, on mentioning the embassy building and those within, but she recovered quickly enough.
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mumblemumblemumble

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse