NATION

PASSWORD

Fish Shall Not Be Eaten

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Who said that? Muslims are free to ban eating pork in their own families. Just not for everyone. Same goes for any religion. They are free to forbid people of their faith from eating x, but it should not be against the law of the land to eat x for everyone.

IM wrote this brainfart of a thread based on this thread, where alternatives to pork were planned to be removed from a local French school system menu with only side dishes being offered as alternatives if the family could not afford to make their own lunches for children.

That sounds like a dick move.

BK117B2
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby BK117B2 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:16 pm

For me it would greatly depend on whether or not they were correct

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
IM wrote this brainfart of a thread based on this thread, where alternatives to pork were planned to be removed from a local French school system menu with only side dishes being offered as alternatives if the family could not afford to make their own lunches for children.

That sounds like a dick move.

:clap:
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Diopolis wrote:If the parent really believed that fish should not be eaten, he made the most ethical decision he could have. Of course, as an authority figure he would have had to have taken into account such things as "did the child know he was eating fish" and "how well has the fish prohibition been explained in the past".

If someone's going to get THAT pissed, I'm sure it's been made extremely clear
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:31 pm

Trollgaard wrote:I see nothing wrong with the OPs scenario. It is the right of the parent to set the rules their children follow.

not when it involves forcing religion on people

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:I see nothing wrong with the OPs scenario. It is the right of the parent to set the rules their children follow.

Its a parent's duty to raise children. Many people, I would say most, are religious. There is nothing wrong with parent's of x religion raising their kids to be followers of x religion.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Its a parent's duty to raise children. Many people, I would say most, are religious. There is nothing wrong with parent's of x religion raising their kids to be followers of x religion.

there is

children are vulnerable to indoctrination

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

there is

All cultures and societies indoctrinate the next generation. That's what society is.

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

there is

One could claim children are vulnerable at education facilities too considering the indoctrination which goes on there.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Orpheocordyceps Unilateralis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Orpheocordyceps Unilateralis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:36 pm

You should be able to impose that until the age of 12, because by then the child is on the brink of being a teenager and must make their own choices, choose their own paths.

But then if the child's under twelve, experimentation should most definitely not be met with punishment. I personally think it never should, nor should breaking any religious rule for any reason. That is, other than obvious ones like murder, rape, and other federal crimes.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Brainwashing your children is unethical.

News at 11.
Unreachable.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:

there is

How would you go about raising them?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Brainwashing your children is unethical.

News at 11.

Only if you brainwash them to believe a deity. If you brainwash them into believing any form of religion is backwards deluded bullshit it's ETHICAL. *nod*
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Brainwashing your children is unethical.

News at 11.

An incredibly vague word right there.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Kaalmi
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaalmi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:43 pm

I believe if you do believe in a religion that has these laws, you should follow them to truly be a follower. If you don't, who cares?
Aminist nominee for WA Secretary-General 2016. Came #4th in the fraudulent general election, 1st in the hearts of all those non Obote.

Orpheocordyceps Unilateralis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Orpheocordyceps Unilateralis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
there is

How would you go about raising them?

Allow them to decide their faith and other personal choices, but regulate safety-related things and basic public conduct.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Wait, but didn't Infected Mushroom argue in another thread against recreational fishing?
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Jacobania
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jacobania » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:47 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Consider the following hypothetical situation...

This entire thread is based on a hypothetical situation established to create a strawman, and then have everyone dismantle a real-world position by tackling this strawman.

If you have a problem with a real-world cultural practice, address that, not some hypothetical scenario that you thought up.
There's no mania like Jacobania! :)

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:48 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
there is

All cultures and societies indoctrinate the next generation. That's what society is.

Atheistic-irreligious education is just as much "indoctrination", or as little. It depends on how you educate children, not what you tell them.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:49 pm

Jute wrote:Wait, but didn't Infected Mushroom argue in another thread against recreational fishing?

This is just a scenario.
Trollgaard wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Okay so let's say I'm religious and my religion said I cannot eat some specific foods, many of which are important to growth and supporting your body's health, and contain nutrients. Is it fair that I force these on my child, so he cannot get a good diet, simply because I believe in it? What if he personally doesn't even believe in it?
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Diopolis wrote:If the parent really believed that fish should not be eaten, he made the most ethical decision he could have. Of course, as an authority figure he would have had to have taken into account such things as "did the child know he was eating fish" and "how well has the fish prohibition been explained in the past".

If someone's going to get THAT pissed, I'm sure it's been made extremely clear

I'm sure- but punishing such a thing should be subject to the same standards as anything else(ie an honest mistake should not be punished or punished very lightly).
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Italios wrote:
Jute wrote:Wait, but didn't Infected Mushroom argue in another thread against recreational fishing?

This is just a scenario.
Trollgaard wrote:

Okay so let's say I'm religious and my religion said I cannot eat some specific foods, many of which are important to growth and supporting your body's health, and contain nutrients. Is it fair that I force these on my child, so he cannot get a good diet, simply because I believe in it? What if he personally doesn't even believe in it?

Pork is vital to ones diet because?

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Italios wrote:

This is just a scenario.
Trollgaard wrote:

There are plenty of foods that are nutritious and promote good health and growth. If one or two of those are non-kosher, if you will, then that's not really a big deal.

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:51 pm

Jacobania wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Consider the following hypothetical situation...

This entire thread is based on a hypothetical situation established to create a strawman, and then have everyone dismantle a real-world position by tackling this strawman.

If you have a problem with a real-world cultural practice, address that, not some hypothetical scenario that you thought up.

This is very similar to many situations. Judaism says you can't eat pork, because pigs are unclean, filthy animals. I am a Jew, albeit a virtually irreligious one who doesn't believe in God, and I will eat pork. Just because the food differs doesn't mean the actual cause doesn't.
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Italios wrote:This is just a scenario.

Pork is vital to ones diet because?

Because anything to stick it to those religious people.
But seriously, you can have a balanced diet based on just about anything. Even veganism- although it's difficult.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General