NATION

PASSWORD

North Korea fires two more missiles

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
DrunkenDove
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Ex-Nation

North Korea fires two more missiles

Postby DrunkenDove » Tue May 26, 2009 8:51 am

A defiant North Korea fired two short-range missiles off its east coast today, according to news reports, hours after the UN security council condemned the apparently successful test of a nuclear weapon as powerful as the one that destroyed Hiroshima

I presume they figured that if they were going to get a bollicking for testing a nuke, they might as well go the whole hog. And it gets scarier:

Seoul announced it would immediately join a US-led initiative to intercept ships suspected of carrying nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, component parts or missiles to deliver them. Pyongyang has warned it would consider membership a declaration of war.

Barack Obama spoke at the White House last night, denouncing North Korea's action as "a blatant violation of international law". He said North Korea "will not find security and respect through threats and illegal weapons".

What do you think is NK's strategy in all of this? They were pretty much forgotten about before it's most recent test, and this time it's seems like it's really trying to provoke some form of conflict. A conflict which it would almost certainly lose, at that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ma ... siles-test
Last edited by DrunkenDove on Tue May 26, 2009 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
The butterfly fluttered by.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: North Korea fires two more missiles

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue May 26, 2009 9:00 am

North Korea is like an urban 'gangsta' punk that thinks a nickel plated pistol will earn him some respect.

Maybe if North Korea wants some respect, they ought to invent something new and not something that's been around for 65 years. :p
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 am

I first saw this story on the Wii News Channel, and I was like, "WTF????"
North Korea deserves a nuke in the face.
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 am

This is the problem with dictatorships -- Kim wants to commit suicide, and he gets to take all of NK with him. I'm pretty sure most citizens of that state would rather live.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue May 26, 2009 10:59 am

NK is trying to provoke a conflict and blame the US and SK for it to gain "points" with the anti-US clique at the UN. They will continue to do overtly provocotive things until it elicits a response other than statements and verbal warnings, then come out with their patented "See, I told you they were forcing us into this because we knew they are the aggressive ones who want a war!" statements at the UN which folks like Iran, Venezuela and their crowd will naturally believe because the US is always the bad guys.

NK is just trying to play hardball politics on the world stage, but is actually coming across more like ham-handed buffoons. Unfortunately, their leadership seems to be somewhat insane and overly militaristic and possess large weapons.

The sad part is, if the US actually tries to do something to stop them, the country will be further divided than it already is because of the "peace at any price" crowd and the partisan hacks of both parties who will support or condemn depending on who orders it. (In this case, Republican partisan hacks will scream bloody murder because a Democrat is President, much like the Democrat partisan hacks did when a Republican was president. Just once I would like to see a politician criticize or defend a policy based on its merits and not whether the person who made the policy had an "R" or "D" after their name.)
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The South Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Tue May 26, 2009 11:05 am

Way to go NK! Stick it to the Imperialist USian non-juche warmongering scum! Yeah!
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Sarkhaan: You. Put your pants back on.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue May 26, 2009 11:06 am

always one in every crowd. :roll:

Not Ta'veren

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 26, 2009 11:07 am

Grays Harbor wrote: Just once I would like to see a politician criticize or defend a policy based on its merits and not whether the person who made the policy had an "R" or "D" after their name.)

I lol'd.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Tue May 26, 2009 11:10 am

Grays Harbor wrote:always one in every crowd. :roll:

but but but Rodong Sinmun denounced nonJuche warmongering imperialist USian policy!

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue May 26, 2009 11:17 am

North Wiedna wrote:North Korea deserves a nuke in the face.

Nah... Kim, his two sons, and the rest of the junta deserve bullets in the head, ideally after having been convicted of crimes against humanity. If that's not feasible, just the bullets... and if that's not feasible, a few cruise missiles ought to do.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue May 26, 2009 11:27 am

The South Islands wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:always one in every crowd. :roll:

but but but Rodong Sinmun denounced nonJuche warmongering imperialist USian policy!

[sarcasm]And what a wonderfully reliable source they are, too.[/sarcasm]

North Korea is a true model for what a "Rogue State" is. Like a child throwing a tantrum.

Not Ta'veren

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Tue May 26, 2009 11:31 am

You're just jealous of DPRKian advanced Juche state where no one lacks for food or the basic things in life.
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Saige Dragon
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Saige Dragon » Tue May 26, 2009 11:33 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:North Korea is like an urban 'gangsta' punk that thinks a nickel plated pistol will earn him some respect.

Maybe if North Korea wants some respect, they ought to invent something new and not something that's been around for 65 years. :p

Even that's a stretch. North Korea has shown they've got missiles capable of striking long range. They've also shown they've got nuclear weapons. However, they've yet to show that they can strap such nuclear devices to such missiles. And being shut off from much of the rest of the world, especially those who have the know-how to strap a nuclear weapon to a long range missile, doesn't help it's cause. In reality this dick waving isn't so much dick waving as it is talking about dick waving, and threatening to dick wave yet not actually knowing how to dick wave.

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Tue May 26, 2009 11:45 am

Still, they do have chemical and perhaps biological weapons. A warhead full of nerve agent could do a number on a densely populated city. Not saying they will, but its not like they're not a threat should they really get suicidal.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Tue May 26, 2009 11:51 am

Can't we just fund a revolution in NK like we did with several other countries?

*looks at the track record of US funded Revolutions*

Oh....well....nuke them?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 26, 2009 11:58 am

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:North Korea deserves a nuke in the face.

Nah... Kim, his two sons, and the rest of the junta deserve bullets in the head, ideally after having been convicted of crimes against humanity. If that's not feasible, just the bullets... and if that's not feasible, a few cruise missiles ought to do.

Better:

Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue May 26, 2009 12:25 pm

True, that's better. I just had the impression all our (US's) drones were busy these days.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

UnitedStatesOfAmerica-
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby UnitedStatesOfAmerica- » Tue May 26, 2009 1:16 pm

The radio is saying that North Korea is demanding the surrender of South Korea and the removal of all American forces from the region.
Land of Free Beer and the Home of the Kentucky Fried Chicken

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:True, that's better. I just had the impression all our (US's) drones were busy these days.

We can always make another droid army. *queues music*

Farnhamia Redux
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Farnhamia Redux » Tue May 26, 2009 1:20 pm

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:The radio is saying that North Korea is demanding the surrender of South Korea and the removal of all American forces from the region.

Isn't that what North Korea always demands?
Since when is reality a popularity contest? ~ VoijaRisa

Mt Id
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mt Id » Tue May 26, 2009 1:26 pm

Does NK really think we'll roll over that easy? I mean, if they want to remove the US from SK i suggest they actually use one of their weapons...in which case we would have good reason to go in. Not that I actually want it to come to that, but that's what it is looking like is going to happen

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 pm

Farnhamia Redux wrote:
UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:The radio is saying that North Korea is demanding the surrender of South Korea and the removal of all American forces from the region.

Isn't that what North Korea always demands?

Yup
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Trenchderland
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Trenchderland » Tue May 26, 2009 1:50 pm

I love lulzy dictatorships with leaders like Kim, always sure to give you a good laugh.

It'll be like the Germany of ww2, except start WW3 and have it end about 3 days later, when even China is all like "lol dawg we dun want u no more yo"

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Tue May 26, 2009 1:55 pm

For every nuke that North Korea tests, we should test one in North Korea as well.
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue May 26, 2009 2:46 pm

You wouldn't have a link to that, would you? I would be interested in reading what they had to say and I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Not Ta'veren

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General