NATION

PASSWORD

Halo: Eclipse (IC/Reboot/OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 29, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Halo: Eclipse (IC/Reboot/OPEN)

Postby Beiarusia » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:48 am

1900 hours, 13 October 2549 // UNSC Memento Mori, Reach orbit, Epsilon Eridani

The rear hatch of the Pelican opened with a slow hiss, the pressurized atmosphere mixing with that of the larger vessel before equalizing a moment later. Ethan Woods stood in the blood tray, a single bag at his feet, steal eyes glancing about the hangar bay as men and women scurried about with whatever tasks assigned to them. In the organized chaos Ethan spotted a stationary figure standing not too far from where the transport had docked, a young woman in clean pressed fatigues and a pleasant smile on her rounded face. The soldier stepped down from the Pelican, bag in hand, and was greeted by the woman with a small bow of the head.

“Commander Woods.” Her voice was light with a slight cheerful undertone.

“Lieutenant, actually,” Ethan corrected, the promotion still new to his tongue.

“A technicality. I’m Lieutenant Welles, Communications Officer for the ship. The captain would like to speak with you on the bridge. If you’d please follow me.”

Lieutenant Welles led Ethan away from the hangar bay and deeper into the ship. The halls were near identical to any other vessel Ethan had previously served aboard but held the indefinable look of something new. Untouched by war. More intriguing was the seeming lack of crewmen. The halls of the UNSC Avalon, Ethan’s previous assignment, were not often bare to such an extent as they were now. Of course comparing a frigate to a destroyer was akin to comparing a Grunt to an Elite but regardless the Memento Mori seemed to be operating on a skeleton crew at best for a ship this size. There was the off chance that not all crewmen were aboard as of yet or that this section of the ship was merely empty for the time being, but ONI had a history of working well enough away from standard procedure so Ethan felt certain to a degree that what he saw was what he got.

“This ship is designed to be operated with fewer personnel than other ships of comparable size,” Welles stated suddenly, knowing exactly what Ethan was thinking without him needing to ask. “Less crew means more dedicated space for other critical systems, chiefly the reactor and cooling structures. Our operations within the UNSC are unorthodox as it is, stealth being the ship’s foremost priority, so something as trivial as crew size shouldn’t be cause for alarm.”

Ethan looked to the woman, his face passive. “Unusual is all.”

“We work for ONI.” That was all she said. That was all that needed to be said.

They reached the bridge soon enough, the wideset doors sliding open as they approached. Inside the room was dark, the only light coming from a multitude of dimly lit consoles and the planet Reach as it was framed in the viewport. The bridge, like other areas of the ship, was noticeably bare, only a handful of stations being manned at this time. A few heads turned to look upon the new arrivals, most returning to their work but some giving a small wave or other gesture to acknowledge their presence.

Welles strode over to the central console, several screens showing various data readouts with a single large monitor displaying a holographic image of the current location – Reach was easy enough to identify as were the various MAC platforms encircling the world, the defensive fleet being little more than specks of blue scattered about. On either side of the map were two holo-projectors, both inactive for the time being, and sitting amongst all of this was a man who, for all it was worth, appeared to be dead to world around him. Fatigues had been abandoned for more casual wear and he was in need of a good shave, currently residing in the grey area between cleanshaven and a respectable beard.

The Communications Officer made herself known, the captain seeming to awaken with little effort, no doubt having been awake this whole time. He swiveled in his chair, facing Ethan with dark eyes that were almost challenging. Ethan, not adverse to such a thing, stood his ground, and after a moment the building tension broke with a grunt of acceptance from the captain. “Look like a someone who enjoys flying coffins.”

“14th Squadron,” Ethan admitted.

“Well, let’s set some ground rules before you go jumping off somewhere. This is my ship. I run things in orbit and I don’t need some Helljumper trying to command everything from the backseat. You’re the head honcho planetside but if you need something done from where I’m sitting then you let me do it my way.”

Ethan didn’t need to consider such a thing. He knew little in terms of naval operations and leaving such a thing in more capable hands was fine by him. “I think such an arrangement can work.”

The barest hints of a smile appeared on the man’s face. He stood, standing a bit taller than Ethan himself, hand outstretched. “Jason Shepherd.”

Ethan shook the man’s hand. “Woods.”

“Spooks drag you in? Was enjoying my post before being reassigned to a dead man’s crew. Guess I tried a little too hard over Arcadia.”

“Speaking of ONI,” came a sudden and calm voice over the ship’s intercom system, interrupting Ethan before he could reply. The rightmost of the two holo-projectors came to life, erupting in a flash of colour that was unbecoming of the dimly lit bridge. Azure light formed itself into the figure of a young woman wearing a technician’s outfit, translucent hair cropped short and square rimmed glasses perched precariously atop her nose. The A.I. didn’t wait for a response before carrying on. “Transmission from ONI Sword Base. Your handlers have an assignment for you. Should I patch them through?” The last bit was asked but said in a way that made refusing a non-option.

Shepherd sighed, collapsing back into his chair. He gave a wave of his hand, motioning for the artificial woman to go ahead with little enthusiasm. The map projection changed to that of an all too familiar face that Ethan had only recently seen in person, the same smug grin and calculating eyes as unnerving as they were face to face.

The ONI Section Head spoke in a cool manner. “Something has come up. I think this would be a good opportunity to… test your abilities. I trial run if you will. I’m certain you won’t disappoint.”
Last edited by Beiarusia on Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

The United Federation of Terrans
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:50 am

"Prepare to disembark" The voice came in over the intercom causing the sole passenger of the Pelican dropship to sit up in his seat near the rear of the aircraft. The passenger was clad in the standard black BDU's and body armor that was issued to ODST's along with the standard issue helmet which was secured firmly to the awakening man's head in the event of depressurization in the compartment; however what was not standard for a man in transit was the sidearm that was strapped to the passenger's right hip. With a yawn the man stretched as best as he could in the quick release harness that held the marine in his seat against the forces of the Pelican's movement. The marine sat back in his seat and gave an uninterested look around the cargo bay which was bare except for a pair of olive-drab duffel bags and a collection of hard-cases that were secured to the floor via cargo netting. The familiar thunk of the Pelican docking with a vessel signaled the marine that it was time to leave; in a practiced motion he released his harness, stood and moved to the cargo secured to the center of the bay even as the ramp opened allowing the cooler and fresher atmosphere of the larger vessel to mix with the stale and warming atmosphere of the old vessel. The marine however was oblivious to the sudden change in his heat regulating and cooling BDU's and helmet as he undid the nets and heaved one of the duffles onto his shoulders before he stepped off of the ramp and onto the deck plates with a metallic thunk.

"Sergeant Bressler?" A voice asked to the marine's right causing the massive marine to turn his helmeted head to see a corporal in plain ODST BDU's consulting a small pad. The corporal's eyes widened as he saw the chevrons of a gunnery sergeant, and immediately moved to make an apology. "Sorry Gunny!!"

"Can it......You the welcoming committee?" The marine asked as he let his duffel drop to the ground and used his frees hands to undo the seals on his helmet with a small hiss of escaping air. All at once the familiar smell of aviation fuel, grease and sweat assaulted his nose and brought back many memories of other such facilities. What was different here however was the fact that the mechanics that swarmed the newly arrived Pelicans didn't have the tired and haggard look of working day and night to keep badly damaged vehicles active with less and less parts.

"I guess Gunny. I'm just here to take your effects to your quarters and tell you to report to the bridge ASAP." The corporal said as he went to pick up the dropped duffle.

"Alright, keep up the good work corporal" Bressler said as he tucked his helmet under his left arm and began his walk to the bridge down the corridors that had obviously never seen hundreds of combat boots pounding down the corridors or a pitched firefight between humans and aliens as they fought for control of a crucial passageway. As he followed the bright red signs that proclaimed "Bridge, Bressler noticed something else that was odd even for a frigate. This place is abandoned; on the Resolution I should have run into some techs or some bored marines doing PT by now Bressler thought as he made a turn and came face to face with the large blast doors that looked as if they belonged on a carrier's bridge deck not a frigates. With a whistle of admiration the doors slid open and allowed the marine to enter the CIC.
My travels take me many places, from the scorching sands to the cold, dark vacuum of space. But I always return to my friends and family at The Pub.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:56 pm

I mean, this is nice, but where is everyone?

Caroline sighed, wandering down the halls of the ship. It was extremely quiet, the only noise that accompanied her being the tromping of her boots. It'd only been a few minutes since she'd arrived from the transport. The whole thing stunk of some kind of black operations project, but considering how well the war'd gone so far, that didn't particularly shock her. She'd been keeping a mental count of the glassings and it was getting to the point that she was losing track. There were scattered victories, a few lights in an ocean of darkness. Even still, the Covenant were making major gains. She mused on the sheer lunacy of it all.

Here we were, on the edge of total annihilation by goddamned aliens, and I'm getting drafted into some black ops nonsense. I should be out there, fighting those bastards.

Her mind continued to wander, recalling the ONI agent that'd approached her after Paris IV fell. Christ, that was a debacle, she thought. They gave her a choice; keep fighting and die, or actually make a difference. Carol had never had much regard for the UNSC, especially since she was the daughter of a pair of "innies", but ONI was a whole other beast entirely. There were always stories floating around them and most of them weren't exactly flattering. She sighed and continued down the hall towards the CIC. Clothed in simple, Marine BDUs, Carol wouldn't have looked out of place in a jungle. They hadn't given her much time to change before tossing her on a Pelican and sending her off, so she was stuck in her old Marine uniform until she could get a new one.

The door slid open with a whisp of air, leading Carol into the CIC. She sighed, noticing a commanding officer, and begrudgingly saluted. She stood at attention and spoke.

"Sir."
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Ubaria
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ubaria » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:49 pm

19th September 2549 - UNSC Eagle Peak - In Slipspace Transit toward Reach

"But Sir...ONI"

"That's right Corporal its not up to me...ONI don't like being refused"

"ONI don't scare me sir"

"They should..."

"Why shou-"

"Leave it Corporal...They requested you and you alone...get some shuteye...we arrive in 0800"

"Humph. Yes Sir..."

"This is Golf-Niner-Six inbound with precious cargo. Requesting landing permission in Starboard Hangar" There was a breif pause in transmission as the landing clearance was granted.

"Copy Golf-Niner-Six. Cleared for touchdown in bay 3" Came the reply from the ship a few moments later.

Dragan remained bolted into his seat, arms firmly crossed with eyes transfixed on the dim orange light that illuminated the Pelican troop bay. It gently flickered and flashed as the Pelican transitioned from the empty vacuum of space into the bubble of artificial atmosphere in the hangar. There was a brief din of engine whine and metal creaking as the Pelican finally came to rest in its landing spot, the orange light vanished and was replaced by a more pricing white halogen light as the troop hatch opened with a hiss of air, both of Dragans ears popping in the process.

"Alright we're down....you can go now right?" The pilot chucked quizzically as he stared at Dragan, who was in turn simply staring out the Pelican hatch still sat bolt upright in his seat.

With a swift upward motion of both hands, Dragan removed the restraint and clutched at a single duffel bag containing some essentials that was contained in the cargo stowaway above him, then he proceeded to stomp out of the Pelican exit into the gleaming silver of the ship. Looking around, he was half expecting the usual buzz of airmen and technicians that a hangar would bring, the cacophony of engines and whirring machinery, over the various dulled callings of mechanics as they went about their business, but instead...nothing. The only noise was made by that of a single Marine who had approached from a nearby doorway, beaming with some stupid shit eating grin on his face.

"Greetings Corporal...Ilyas isn't it?" The marine courteously extended one hand in greeting, however was left hovering while Dragan continued to observe the strange emptiness of the place.

"Ahem". The Grunt cleared his throat in an attempt to gain some attention, which the ODST gave, but not the kind he was probably looking for.

"ONI killed off the crew already?" He half mocked and half asked the Private, who shuffled back a couple paces as the Corporal's massive stature almost overshadowed him.

"Uhm..n-no of course not? C-can i take your bag?" The private nervously stuttered back and gazed up and around, trying not to make eye contact.

Dragan looked down at him and simply slung him the bag with enough force to almost knock him clean off the ground, however he managed to recover and clutched the bag with both hands awkwardly.

"I'll take this to your bunk...fornow, you're wanted on the bridge" He huffed, and with that he scuttled off back through another doorway.

"Hey! Where's my armor?" Dragan called after him, but to no reply. His equipment including his BDU had been transferred prior to him leaving the Eagles Peak, leaving him with nothing but a short sleeved grey shirt with a black stencil ODST crest on it, some black cargo pants and some boots.

"Fu...forget it"

It didn't take Dragan long to navigate the halls of the Memento Mori, it was a new classification but most Frigates followed the same template, this one was no different albeit with the modifications ONI must have done. On his journey he could count the crewmembers he passed with his fingers, there was almost nobody here, not nearly enough to run a frigate of this size which begged the question, what if the ship was boarded? Then again ONI probably had an answer for that too.

The doors to the Bridge whisked open to reveal two soldiers that had already arrived, Dragan entered awkwardly with the clanking of boots and made himself known.
"Corporal Dragan Ilyas reporting" He gruffed and gave a swift salute.
Yo, that's mad.

Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Postby Beiarusia » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:16 pm

Lt. Ethan Woods // Bridge, UNSC Memento Mori

“So we’re housekeepers now?” grumbled Shepherd after the transmission from ONI had cut out. The man cursed under his breath, working himself up to the point that he was near ready to snap, which he did. “It’s insulting! Pulled from the front lines just to drag a freighter back to port? Don’t get me wrong, I love easy assignments as much as the next guy but even I have standards.”

“You sound disappointed,” droned Ethan, not caring one way or the other about their assignment.

“Our shakedown run is us being marched off to play judge, jury, and executioner to a bunch of fuckwad innies. Don’t know about you but I’m not about to be ONI’s errand boy.”

“You don’t have much choice in the matter,” reminded the A.I.

The second holo-projector came online, scarlet light filling the room alongside the azure woman, a man in combat fatigues taking form opposite his peer. The second A.I. spoke in a gruff and commanding tone. “I agree with the captain for once. This is a bungling UNSC resources!”

“You have even less say in the matter,” responded the woman A.I. cooly.

Ethan glanced from one transparent form to the other, Welles again answering his question before he could even ask. “This is Twin Peaks, shipboard A.I. and ONI testbed. The woman is Dawn and her brother is Dusk. Bit of a handful but you’ll get use to their bickering soon enough.”

“Two A.I.? Isn’t that a little excessive?” asked Ethan.

Dawn answered. “We’re one entity split into two identities. ONI, in an attempt to create an artificial intelligence with substantially increased processing capabilities, used not one but two neural pathways, the donor brains having belonged to siblings killed in the Europa bombing. By all means ONI was successful in their endeavour. However, as an unforeseen consequence of using two similar but ultimately differing matrices, two individual thought processes formed, Dusk and myself.”

Dusk shook his head. “Stop talking like I’m some inanimate object.”

Dawn adjusted her glasses. “In the grand scheme of things we are inanimate objects. Just because we think does not make us any less artificial than we already are.”

Before an argument could break out between the personality disordered A.I., the bridge doors slid open with a hiss, a woman in marine BDUs stepping through and saluting the commanding officer, in this case the seated Shepherd. It wasn’t much longer when a man joined them, adorn in ODST armor. A final man joined them as well, noticeably more casual than the others.

“More new recruits,” muttered Shepherd, waving his hand for them to lower their own. “At ease. None of that pretentious bullshit on my ship. And it’s this guy you should be saluting in any case.” He thumbed over to Ethan who now found himself the sudden center of their gaze. Not that he was stage shy by any means but he had no idea who these men – and woman – were or why they felt the need to report directly to the bridge.

Dawn had the answer. “I asked them here. ONI highly recommended their transfer and I felt it prudent that you, as commander, know who to rely on when the time comes. Corporal Caroline Deckard, Gunnery Sergeant Nathaniel Bressler, and Corporal Dragan Ilyas.” The A.I. motioned to each in turn before doing the same towards Ethan.

He took the hint soon enough, straightening as he spoke. “Lieutenant Ethan Woods. Commander of BLACK division six, Eclipse.”

The A.I. spoke again before anyone else could contribute. “There will be time for more in depth introductions momentarily. I have been authorized by ONI to answer most of your questions, so now if the time to ask. If not then we can proceed with a more thorough briefing for the task at hand.”
Last edited by Beiarusia on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:20 am

Beiarusia wrote:
    Lt. Ethan Woods // Bridge, UNSC Memento Mori

“So we’re housekeepers now?” grumbled Shepherd after the transmission from ONI had cut out. The man cursed under his breath, working himself up to the point that he was near ready to snap, which he did. “It’s insulting! Pulled from the front lines just to drag a freighter back to port? Don’t get me wrong, I love easy assignments as much as the next guy but even I have standards.”

“You sound disappointed,” droned Ethan, not caring one way or the other about their assignment.

“Our shakedown run is us being marched off to play judge, jury, and executioner to a bunch of fuckwad innies. Don’t know about you but I’m not about to be ONI’s errand boy.”

“You don’t have much choice in the matter,” reminded the A.I.

The second holo-projector came online, scarlet light filling the room alongside the azure woman, a man in combat fatigues taking form opposite his peer. The second A.I. spoke in a gruff and commanding tone. “I agree with the captain for once. This is a bungling UNSC resources!”

“You have even less say in the matter,” responded the woman A.I. cooly.

Ethan glanced from one transparent form to the other, Welles again answering his question before he could even ask. “This is Twin Peaks, shipboard A.I. and ONI testbed. The woman is Dawn and her brother is Dusk. Bit of a handful but you’ll get use to their bickering soon enough.”

“Two A.I.? Isn’t that a little excessive?” asked Ethan.

Dawn answered. “We’re one entity split into two identities. ONI, in an attempt to create an artificial intelligence with substantially increased processing capabilities, used not one but two neural pathways, the donor brains having belonged to siblings killed in the Europa bombing. By all means ONI was successful in their endeavour. However, as an unforeseen consequence of using two similar but ultimately differing matrices, two individual thought processes formed, Dusk and myself.”

Dusk shook his head. “Stop talking like I’m some inanimate object.”

Dawn adjusted her glasses. “In the grand scheme of things we are inanimate objects. Just because we think does not make us any less artificial than we already are.”

Before an argument could break out between the personality disordered A.I., the bridge doors slid open with a hiss, a woman in marine BDUs stepping through and saluting the commanding officer, in this case the seated Shepherd. It wasn’t much longer when a man joined them, adorn in ODST armor. A final man joined them as well, noticeably more casual than the others.

“More new recruits,” muttered Shepherd, waving his hand for them to lower their own. “At ease. None of that pretentious bullshit on my ship. And it’s this guy you should be saluting in any case.” He thumbed over to Ethan who now found himself the sudden center of their gaze. Not that he was stage shy by any means but he had no idea who these men – and woman – were or why they felt the need to report directly to the bridge.

Dawn had the answer. “I asked them here. ONI highly recommended their transfer and I felt it prudent that you, as commander, know who to rely on when the time comes. Corporal Caroline Deckard, Gunnery Sergeant Nathaniel Bressler, and Corporal Dragan Ilyas.” The A.I. motioned to each in turn before doing the same towards Ethan.

He took the hint soon enough, straightening as he spoke. “Lieutenant Ethan Woods. Commander of BLACK division six, Eclipse.”

The A.I. spoke again before anyone else could contribute. “There will be time for more in depth introductions momentarily. I have been authorized by ONI to answer most of your questions, so now if the time to ask. If not then we can proceed with a more thorough briefing for the task at hand.”

"I assume we have a fully equipped armory on board" Foley asked as set his helmet on a nearby empty console. As he moved away from the console his sidearm brushed against the console and caused Foley's blood to run cold. Only security and command personnel can have weapons on the bridge. Damn,Damn,Damn Of all the stupid mistakes to make on the first day
My travels take me many places, from the scorching sands to the cold, dark vacuum of space. But I always return to my friends and family at The Pub.

Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Postby Beiarusia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:42 am

The United Federation of Terrans wrote:"I assume we have a fully equipped armory on board" Foley asked as set his helmet on a nearby empty console. As he moved away from the console his sidearm brushed against the console and caused Foley's blood to run cold. Only security and command personnel can have weapons on the bridge. Damn,Damn,Damn Of all the stupid mistakes to make on the first day

The A.I. smiled in a warm almost motherly fashion. “The shipboard armory is well stocked in all basic munitions as well as possessing several exotic armaments. ONI has given all BLACK divisions priority when requesting additional arms. Should something not be to your liking you need only to inform the armory personnel.”

Shepherd, having turned to face the man whom had asked the question, saw the sudden look of dread cross his face as he sat his helmet aside, a cursory glance showing the reason for Bressler’s reaction. “I told you already that I don’t give a damn about ‘regulations’,” he made air quotes with his fingers as if to emphasize his point, “so don’t give yourself an aneurism. Besides, don’t think I’d make it easy on ya if you tried something stupid.”

Ubaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ubaria » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:14 pm

“At ease. None of that pretentious bullshit on my ship. And it’s this guy you should be saluting in any case.”

"Whatever" Dragan mumbled under his breath, he sighed inwardly, returning to a more relaxed 'couldn't give a shit' stance, both arms crossed, head slightly lolled back with his tongue poking the inside of his cheek. The AI proceeded to reel off the names of the two soldiers that had entered previously, as well as the soldier who was stood awkwardly in the center of the room, all eyes affixed to him.

“Lieutenant Ethan Woods. Commander of BLACK division six, Eclipse.” He addressed them suddenly.

Dragan still stared deadpan onwards, only moving his head when the blue AI interjected.

“There will be time for more in depth introductions momentarily. I have been authorized by ONI to answer most of your questions, so now if the time to ask. If not then we can proceed with a more thorough briefing for the task at hand.” She spoke flatly.

'Where was the crew?' Would have been the first question Dragan expected to be asked, but instead the ODST to his right inquired about the shipboard armory.

“The shipboard armory is well stocked in all basic munitions as well as possessing several exotic armaments. ONI has given all BLACK divisions priority when requesting additional arms. Should something not be to your liking you need only to inform the armory personnel.” She spoke again, this time with a more upbeat infliction. The shipboard armory was probably where Dragans things had been taken to, he made a mental note to visit it as soon as this little gathering was over. In the meanwhile he continued to pretend to be interested in what the Captain had to say.
Yo, that's mad.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Beiarusia wrote:-snip-

Carol dropped salute and relaxed, leaning against the table. As the A.I listed the names off, she raised her hand and smiled, nodding to the other soldiers. Having two A.I units seemed a little excessive, but once Dawn rattled off their history, it made a tad more sense to Carol. Artificial Intelligence still creeped her out a bit, though. Something about recreating human intelligence with a machine just seemed...off. She shrugged it off and stepped forward to speak, only to be cut off by Foley.

"I assume we have a fully equipped armory on board?"

Dawn eagerly answered his question in an oddly motherly fashion.

“The shipboard armory is well stocked in all basic munitions as well as possessing several exotic armaments. ONI has given all BLACK divisions priority when requesting additional arms. Should something not be to your liking you need only to inform the armory personnel.”

Ok, you lot had my curiosity, but now you have my attention. Carol smiled, eager to see what kind of rifles they had available. She took a brief moment to look over the small assembly. The ODST seemed rather freaked out. It didn't take long for Carol to figure out why. He'd brought his weapon with him to the bridge. Dipshit. I thought these helljumper guys were supposed to be professional. She snickered quietly, under her breath, only for Shepard to chime in.

“I told you already that I don’t give a damn about ‘regulations"

He did air quotes, emphasizing his disdain for the idea, before continuing.

“so don’t give yourself an aneurism. Besides, don’t think I’d make it easy on ya if you tried something stupid.”

Once the two were finished, Carol stepped forward, arms crossed. He spoke quickly, her tone slightly nervous. Everyone seemed alright, but talking in front of groups still freaked her out. Her gaze fell on the A.I, Dawn, as she spoke.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of mission are we looking at, here?"
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.

Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Postby Beiarusia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:57 am

New Grestin wrote:>SNIP<

The woman soldier stepped forward, arms crossed over her slender frame as she asked the question no doubt swirling about everyone’s mind. Instead of answering, Dawn instead motioned over towards Ethan with a shallow wave, indicating that he should be the one to speak. “As commander of this unit I feel that this responsibility should fall to you.”

Ethan looked first to the A.I. and then to those gathered before him. Any earlier hesitation was slowly ebbing as he again found himself in something familiar. “We have been asked to retake a civilian freighter from Insurrectionist. Hostages are priority one as is the elimination of all enemy combatants. ONI wants to make an example of them.”

“By wasting our time,” added the disgruntled A.I., Dusk.

Ethan ignored the interruption. “Without having planned out any finer details we board the ship and go from there.”

“A more thorough strategy can be created once we make the jump in system,” finished Dawn. “Due to the time sensitivity of this assignment this ship will be departing before the full compliment of crew can arrive, meaning that we will be operating well under normal capacity. This is unlikely to affect the mission at hand. Our arrival to the Ectanus 45 star system is calculated at twenty-three point two four hours.”

“So you’re dismissed,” barked Shepherd from his seat, swinging around so that his back was to them and his focus turned towards the ship’s consoles. The two A.I. gave a parting look before ceasing to exist, their absence plunging the room into near darkness once more. Welles, having stood at the captain’s side for the duration, moved to her own console, joining the others who were now busying themselves in running the ship. Soon enough the Memento Mori would breakaway from Reach and move into position for the slipspace transition.

Ethan glanced between the three soldiers. Handpicked by ONI and, for the most part, those that he were to entrust his life to. The suddenness of his own reassignment could most likely apply to them as well. Everything was new and, as was always the case with spooks, there was a tension hanging in the air. Being caught in the unknown. The entire situation, being dragged from his unit and made commander of something even he did not understand, was a farce in all meaning of the word. It would take some getting use to, but Ethan was sure that he wouldn’t get a choice in the matter.

“Get settled in,” he said, knowing that he would be doing just that. “We’ll reconvene before we make the jump back into real space.”

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:49 am

Beiarusia wrote:

The woman soldier stepped forward, arms crossed over her slender frame as she asked the question no doubt swirling about everyone’s mind. Instead of answering, Dawn instead motioned over towards Ethan with a shallow wave, indicating that he should be the one to speak. “As commander of this unit I feel that this responsibility should fall to you.”

Ethan looked first to the A.I. and then to those gathered before him. Any earlier hesitation was slowly ebbing as he again found himself in something familiar. “We have been asked to retake a civilian freighter from Insurrectionist. Hostages are priority one as is the elimination of all enemy combatants. ONI wants to make an example of them.”

“By wasting our time,” added the disgruntled A.I., Dusk.

Ethan ignored the interruption. “Without having planned out any finer details we board the ship and go from there.”

“A more thorough strategy can be created once we make the jump in system,” finished Dawn. “Due to the time sensitivity of this assignment this ship will be departing before the full compliment of crew can arrive, meaning that we will be operating well under normal capacity. This is unlikely to affect the mission at hand. Our arrival to the Ectanus 45 star system is calculated at twenty-three point two four hours.”

“So you’re dismissed,” barked Shepherd from his seat, swinging around so that his back was to them and his focus turned towards the ship’s consoles. The two A.I. gave a parting look before ceasing to exist, their absence plunging the room into near darkness once more. Welles, having stood at the captain’s side for the duration, moved to her own console, joining the others who were now busying themselves in running the ship. Soon enough the Memento Mori would breakaway from Reach and move into position for the slipspace transition.

Ethan glanced between the three soldiers. Handpicked by ONI and, for the most part, those that he were to entrust his life to. The suddenness of his own reassignment could most likely apply to them as well. Everything was new and, as was always the case with spooks, there was a tension hanging in the air. Being caught in the unknown. The entire situation, being dragged from his unit and made commander of something even he did not understand, was a farce in all meaning of the word. It would take some getting use to, but Ethan was sure that he wouldn’t get a choice in the matter.

“Get settled in,” he said, knowing that he would be doing just that. “We’ll reconvene before we make the jump back into real space.”

Shaking off his slight embarrassment Bressler stepped up the officer after he concluded the mini-briefing and extended his gloved hand.

"Gunnery Sergeant Nathaniel Bressler,sir. ONI told me I would be more or less the platoon sergeant for the rest of foreseeable future." Bressler waited for a second before he spoke again. "And begging your pardon but would accompany me down to the mess hall; I need some coffee and I figure we can get to know each other better."

Ubaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ubaria » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:47 am

“We have been asked to retake a civilian freighter from Insurrectionist. Hostages are priority one as is the elimination of all enemy combatants. ONI wants to make an example of them.”

'Really?' Thought Dragan. Whilst the human population was being slaughtered in the millions, ONI had them doing some bullshit wetwork for them against innies that should have been the job of the UNSC or at least the local colonial militia force, if there was any left. This was a vast misallocation of valuable military resources if he had ever seen any, with a state of the art Stealth Frigate like this, they could hit the covenant anywhere and anytime without warning, instead they were running around after rebels, and being honest, they were the lesser of two evils right now. The other scarlet shaded AI must have read his thoughts.

“By wasting our time,” It quipped. Dragan couldn't help but smirk at its attitude.

“Without having planned out any finer details we board the ship and go from there.” The Lieutenant continued on.

“A more thorough strategy can be created once we make the jump in system, Due to the time sensitivity of this assignment this ship will be departing before the full compliment of crew can arrive, meaning that we will be operating well under normal capacity. This is unlikely to affect the mission at hand. Our arrival to the Ectanus 45 star system is calculated at twenty-three point two four hours.” The blue AI, named Dawn continued on.

“So you’re dismissed,” The Captain swifty dismissed them without the even slightest hint of care or bother in his voice.

Dragan was becoming more and more agitated by the minute. Firstly he had been whisked from his ODST Special Operations team for some bullshit ONI get-together, then their first operation wouldn't be against covenant, the massive genocidal alien war machine that was eating through planets like they were nothing, but a bunch of loose gung-ho rebels with less training than your average police officer and to top it all off, their ship was completely undermanned, piloted by a captain that obviously couldn't give two shits what happened to them.

“Get settled in,” The lieutenant approached. “We’ll reconvene before we make the jump back into real space.”

"Will all due respect sir. Shouldn't we be fighting the covenant? You know, the religious alien nutjobs with a penchant for vaporizing every planet they find? Those covenant?" Dragan spoke to Ethan with a slightly raised voice, just within earshot of the Captain.
Yo, that's mad.

Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Postby Beiarusia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:29 pm

The United Federation of Terrans wrote:"Gunnery Sergeant Nathaniel Bressler,sir. ONI told me I would be more or less the platoon sergeant for the rest of foreseeable future." Bressler waited for a second before he spoke again. "And begging your pardon but would accompany me down to the mess hall; I need some coffee and I figure we can get to know each other better."

Ubaria wrote:"Will all due respect sir. Shouldn't we be fighting the covenant? You know, the religious alien nutjobs with a penchant for vaporizing every planet they find? Those covenant?" Dragan spoke to Ethan with a slightly raised voice, just within earshot of the Captain.

Bressler approached Ethan before anyone could depart, speaking of the promises ONI had made to him. Quite honestly Ethan had no idea where things would go from here and welcomed all the help he could find. With little thought he agreed to the invitation. “I’m in the dark as well so something normal would be welcomed. I’m sure the mess hall isn’t too far from here.”

As they made to depart Ethan passed the offer to Deckard, and would likely ask any others they stumbled upon on their way. Ilyas, however, had more pressing issues to question, predominantly why they were being shipped off to combat insurrectionist when the Covenant was still rampaging throughout the outer colonies. Truthfully Ethan would much rather hit the Covenant than play housekeeper, but what ONI wanted ONI got, and there was little point in arguing.

The captain spoke first, not turning to look at the ODST. “How about you go and ask the spooks that. Don’t like it but orders are orders.”

Ethan could only agree, stepping from the bridge with Bressler in tow. “Offer’s open if you want to join.”

Unless you guys want to get to known one another in the Mess Hall we will skip to the official mission briefing.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Beiarusia wrote:-snip-

“Offer’s open if you want to join.”

Carol shrugged and followed the small group into the mess hall. The room was fairly decent sized, but as would be expected, completely empty. She sighed, noticing how eerie the whole ship felt without a crew. She slid over to the coffee maker and went about grabbing a cup. Coffee wasn't exactly her favorite thing in the world, but it was passable. She needed the caffeine anyway. Days without sleeping, leaning over a rifle, tended to mess with one's head a bit. She plopped down at one of the tables and, while waiting on the others, spoke out to Ethan.

"So, how'd you end up in this shit show?"

She took a quick sip, wincing slightly at the bitter taste.

Beiarusia
Postmaster-General

Postby Beiarusia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:56 pm

The small grouping sat in the Mess Hall, this area of the ship being similarly devoid of crew. As the A.I. had stated, the ship was operating on necessary personnel only, so while there were still a good hundred or so people on board it was easy enough to go about without encountering many, what with the ship being fairly large in size. The soldiers talked a bit, Deckard having grabbed herself some not too fresh coffee, Ethan foregoing such food or drink, not feeling too hungry at the moment.

“So, how’d you end up in this shit show?” she asked suddenly, taking a sip of her drink and wincing from the bitterness.

Ethan thought for a moment before answering. “I saved an ONI field operative while on Paris. We were withdrawing back to the Avalon when we saw a Pelican go down. Zealots hit it hard. Survivors fell back to a hotel, this one sergeant detonating an entire crate of captured ordnance once he had the Covenant right where he wanted them. We dragged him and the spook from that hole. This is my reward for risking myself for someone else. Don’t know if it’s a curse or a blessing yet.”

The small group spoke for a bit longer, feeling the ship lurch once it made the transition into slipspace. After a long while more crew arrived to the hall, grunts that had been drafted by ONI from all across the UNSC. A mix of old faces and fresh, some more visibly scarred than others. Ethan was responsible for each and every single one of them, a responsibility that he did not ask for. Their blood would be on his hands, and knowing what he knew of ONI their blood would indeed be spilled. The career soldier pushed these thoughts away. Letting them in would only compromise the position he now found himself thrust into. For better or for worse he was their leader and he would hold himself above the rest, a pillar of example should times ever look dark. It was the very least that he could do.

It was all that he could do.

1810 hours, 14 October 2549 // UNSC Memento Mori, Slipspace enroute to Ectanus 45

Ethan stood front and center in the ship’s common area, the spacious room currently doubling as a briefing stage for the coming mission at hand. Before him stood eleven soldiers all handpicked by ONI – Bressler, Deckard, and Ilyas included – with additional crewmen watching curiously from the rear. The Memento Mori would be dropping into real space soon, Twin Peaks having taken the liberty of gathering the few combat personnel aboard the ship for an official briefing, leaving Ethan to assert himself as division commander now that he had had time to compose himself.

“Alright,” he began, voice raised to both make himself heard and to create an aura of authority, “we have been asked to retake a civilian freighter from Insurrectionist, a task some of you feel is a waste of resources. You being here means you know who we work for. ONI points the way and we get it done.”

A holo-projector came to life, showing a detailed schematic of the freighter.

“Hostages will be killed if any UNSC vessel makes an attempt to intercept. The Memento Mori is stealth capable and will be able to close the distance undetected, allowing a team to board the freighter via EVA. We enter through an airlock and move to secure the hostages.”

“Won’t they be killed anyway once we’re on board?” questioned a tall woman Ethan identified as Staff Sergeant Camille Hawkins.

The projection of the ship quickly changed to that of Dawn, her voice calm and ready with an answer. “The Memento Mori houses an advanced suite of electronic warfare systems. Once we are close enough I should be capable of overriding their mainframe, after which I will initiate a lockdown in the sections housing the hostages. That should buy you the time needed to properly secure them.”

“This is an easy op,” finished Ethan, fully believing that to be so. “We will be operating CQB so arm yourselves accordingly. Deployment will take place shortly after we make the transition, so be ready to go in the hangar before then. Also be certain to grab yourself a thruster pack unless you want to float off into space. Dismissed.”

The soldiers stood to prepare themselves but paused in their goings as Dawn added one final bit of information, her voice seeming near cold with the content of her message. “ONI wishes to make an example of those responsible and the rules of engagement have been adjusted accordingly. No prisoners will be taken. All enemy combatants are to be eliminated.”

With that the A.I. disappeared, leaving the group to go about their business.

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:16 am

Beiarusia wrote:

The small grouping sat in the Mess Hall, this area of the ship being similarly devoid of crew. As the A.I. had stated, the ship was operating on necessary personnel only, so while there were still a good hundred or so people on board it was easy enough to go about without encountering many, what with the ship being fairly large in size. The soldiers talked a bit, Deckard having grabbed herself some not too fresh coffee, Ethan foregoing such food or drink, not feeling too hungry at the moment.

“So, how’d you end up in this shit show?” she asked suddenly, taking a sip of her drink and wincing from the bitterness.

Ethan thought for a moment before answering. “I saved an ONI field operative while on Paris. We were withdrawing back to the Avalon when we saw a Pelican go down. Zealots hit it hard. Survivors fell back to a hotel, this one sergeant detonating an entire crate of captured ordnance once he had the Covenant right where he wanted them. We dragged him and the spook from that hole. This is my reward for risking myself for someone else. Don’t know if it’s a curse or a blessing yet.”

The small group spoke for a bit longer, feeling the ship lurch once it made the transition into slipspace. After a long while more crew arrived to the hall, grunts that had been drafted by ONI from all across the UNSC. A mix of old faces and fresh, some more visibly scarred than others. Ethan was responsible for each and every single one of them, a responsibility that he did not ask for. Their blood would be on his hands, and knowing what he knew of ONI their blood would indeed be spilled. The career soldier pushed these thoughts away. Letting them in would only compromise the position he now found himself thrust into. For better or for worse he was their leader and he would hold himself above the rest, a pillar of example should times ever look dark. It was the very least that he could do.

It was all that he could do.

1810 hours, 14 October 2549 // UNSC Memento Mori, Slipspace enroute to Ectanus 45

Ethan stood front and center in the ship’s common area, the spacious room currently doubling as a briefing stage for the coming mission at hand. Before him stood eleven soldiers all handpicked by ONI – Bressler, Deckard, and Ilyas included – with additional crewmen watching curiously from the rear. The Memento Mori would be dropping into real space soon, Twin Peaks having taken the liberty of gathering the few combat personnel aboard the ship for an official briefing, leaving Ethan to assert himself as division commander now that he had had time to compose himself.

“Alright,” he began, voice raised to both make himself heard and to create an aura of authority, “we have been asked to retake a civilian freighter from Insurrectionist, a task some of you feel is a waste of resources. You being here means you know who we work for. ONI points the way and we get it done.”

A holo-projector came to life, showing a detailed schematic of the freighter.

“Hostages will be killed if any UNSC vessel makes an attempt to intercept. The Memento Mori is stealth capable and will be able to close the distance undetected, allowing a team to board the freighter via EVA. We enter through an airlock and move to secure the hostages.”

“Won’t they be killed anyway once we’re on board?” questioned a tall woman Ethan identified as Staff Sergeant Camille Hawkins.

The projection of the ship quickly changed to that of Dawn, her voice calm and ready with an answer. “The Memento Mori houses an advanced suite of electronic warfare systems. Once we are close enough I should be capable of overriding their mainframe, after which I will initiate a lockdown in the sections housing the hostages. That should buy you the time needed to properly secure them.”

“This is an easy op,” finished Ethan, fully believing that to be so. “We will be operating CQB so arm yourselves accordingly. Deployment will take place shortly after we make the transition, so be ready to go in the hangar before then. Also be certain to grab yourself a thruster pack unless you want to float off into space. Dismissed.”

The soldiers stood to prepare themselves but paused in their goings as Dawn added one final bit of information, her voice seeming near cold with the content of her message. “ONI wishes to make an example of those responsible and the rules of engagement have been adjusted accordingly. No prisoners will be taken. All enemy combatants are to be eliminated.”

With that the A.I. disappeared, leaving the group to go about their business.

Bressler smiled to himself as he gathered his helmet under his arm and left the room for the armory. The corridor was filled with a few groups or so discussing the briefing but to foley it was a drop in the bucket compared to what he remembered after briefings. The inside jokes, the laughter, that knot in your stomach as you cycled through the armory, that tension in the air mixed with eagerness, the taste of steak and eggs before they entered their drop pods. I miss them Bressler concluded as he he followed the signs that adorned the wall to the armory where upon entering caused him to whistle at the vast array of weaponry that decorated the walls and the ordinance that was tucked away in weapons lockers and hard cases. Navigating through stacked crates, Bressler found what he was looking for in the form of four hard-cases that were painted a black and yellow diagonal strip pattern and were keyed to Bressler's biometrics.

Opening up the first case, the gunny was greeted with the sight of a M-90 shotgun snuggled in a protective foam casing along with a BR-55 Battle Rifle. Both of the weapons had served Bressler well over his years of service and he had taken care of both them with the care of a mother for a newborn. Withdrawing the shotgun, Bressler sealed the case and opened another where he withdrew five dozen shells for the shotgun and three clips which he loaded with ammunition for his sidearm. Now armed, Bressler turned to the third case where he removed a small arm mounted tacpad that snapped into a place on his left arm just as it did when he received it for the first time on the Resolution. This hear is the Tactical Field Operation Pad, it is the bread butter for you and me. It can do anything from detonating ordinance to running hacks on computers to opening locked doors. wherever you go this goes. Shrugging off the memory Bressler secured a knife to his equipment belt before he went to the armory's general stores and took a nice helping of C-7 explosives, grenades and a thruster pack that looked brand new unlike the one he had seen malfunction during an op and send a squad-mate shooting off into space. now that he was armed and equipped Bressler pulled his helmet on and made sure the seals were secured as he waited to make sure everyone geared up so he could report to the C.O. that both teams were ready to go.
Last edited by The United Federation of Terrans on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ubaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ubaria » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:18 am

The few soldiers onboard the Memento Mori had gathered in the pseudo-briefing room, forming a crescent around the center where Ethan was preparing to give the breifing. Ilyas stood toward the back of the room, he was tall enough to see over most of the heads in the crowd, not that there were many anyway.

“we have been asked to retake a civilian freighter from Insurrectionist, a task some of you feel is a waste of resources. You being here means you know who we work for. ONI points the way and we get it done.” Ethan explained, Dragan slowly grumbled an agreement to the reference to resources, and how they were now basically ONI's hunting dogs. After this, the room filled with a blue glow as the freighter in question materialsed, its exterior detail peeling away to reveal the interior layout of the ship, and locations of hostages and possible hostile positions.

“Hostages will be killed if any UNSC vessel makes an attempt to intercept. The Memento Mori is stealth capable and will be able to close the distance undetected, allowing a team to board the freighter via EVA. We enter through an airlock and move to secure the hostages.” Ethan continued on, the airlock in question highlighted on the model of the freighter.

“Won’t they be killed anyway once we’re on board?” Somebody from within the room questioned.

The AI Dawn returned to answer that question.

"The Memento Mori houses an advanced suite of electronic warfare systems. Once we are close enough I should be capable of overriding their mainframe, after which I will initiate a lockdown in the sections housing the hostages. That should buy you the time needed to properly secure them.” The female voice filled the room as much as her blue aura did.

“This is an easy op, We will be operating CQB so arm yourselves accordingly. Deployment will take place shortly after we make the transition, so be ready to go in the hangar before then. Also be certain to grab yourself a thruster pack unless you want to float off into space. Dismissed.”

CQB wasn't really Dragans strong suit. Not that he couldn't do it, he just didn't like doing it that much, too much room clearing and traipsing around corridors hoping you didn't get shot in the ass by the enemy, or friendlies in the heat of the moment. Just as the room began to clear, Dawn returned with one final piece of information, the details of which were slightly offputting.

“ONI wishes to make an example of those responsible and the rules of engagement have been adjusted accordingly. No prisoners will be taken. All enemy combatants are to be eliminated.”

Now even for ONI's standards, that was a bit extreme. Dragan voiced his distaste for the mission ahead. "Are we fucking ONI's special ops? Or hitmen?" He growled to nobody in particular before throwing his hands in the air in frustration.
Yo, that's mad.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:37 am

Carol sat in the back of the room as the briefing went through, going over all the key points of the mission. They would be making an example of the Insurgents. The thought made her blood boil. Thousands of people were dying every day and they were wasting time killing other humans. She rolled her eyes and started for the armory when the briefing ended, briefly hearing one of her fellow agents frustrations.

"Are we fucking ONI's special ops? Or hitmen?"

She sighed and continued down the hall. Both, she thought. We're really both. Entering the armory, she gathered her equipment. A CQB situation called for something a little more subtle than an SRS99, so she opted for a suppressed M7 SMG. She slid an M40 into her holster alongside a rather sizeable combat knife. She preferred a marine uniform, but the new one she found was more than acceptable. A handful of magazines, a few grenades, and an extra suppressor rounded out her equipment. Once she was finished, she set her helmet aside and leaned against one of the lockers.

"So," she said. "Anyone else think this mission is bullshit? Or is is just me?"

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:54 am

New Grestin wrote:Carol sat in the back of the room as the briefing went through, going over all the key points of the mission. They would be making an example of the Insurgents. The thought made her blood boil. Thousands of people were dying every day and they were wasting time killing other humans. She rolled her eyes and started for the armory when the briefing ended, briefly hearing one of her fellow agents frustrations.

"Are we fucking ONI's special ops? Or hitmen?"

She sighed and continued down the hall. Both, she thought. We're really both. Entering the armory, she gathered her equipment. A CQB situation called for something a little more subtle than an SRS99, so she opted for a suppressed M7 SMG. She slid an M40 into her holster alongside a rather sizeable combat knife. She preferred a marine uniform, but the new one she found was more than acceptable. A handful of magazines, a few grenades, and an extra suppressor rounded out her equipment. Once she was finished, she set her helmet aside and leaned against one of the lockers.

"So," she said. "Anyone else think this mission is bullshit? Or is is just me?"

"I think you need to rethink your position here. We are not here to determine whether our mission is relevant or not; we are here to kill. But I'll humor you, let's say those Innies make a jump with that freighter and get captured by the Covenant. Then we have a violation of Cole Protocol that would allow those Covie bastards to hit all of our worlds at once. So you can feel free to think of this as enforcing Cole Protocol or you can see this as killing human criminals; either way we will do the mission. Do i make myself clear?" Bressler asked after he ended his rant. He had been fighting for most of his life against the Innies and the Covenant and had no problems nor complaints go against either. If the UNSC had a problem with someone or something he would kill it no matter what.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:16 pm

The United Federation of Terrans wrote:
New Grestin wrote:-snip-

"I think you need to rethink your position here. We are not here to determine whether our mission is relevant or not; we are here to kill. But I'll humor you, let's say those Innies make a jump with that freighter and get captured by the Covenant. Then we have a violation of Cole Protocol that would allow those Covie bastards to hit all of our worlds at once. So you can feel free to think of this as enforcing Cole Protocol or you can see this as killing human criminals; either way we will do the mission. Do i make myself clear?" Bressler asked after he ended his rant. He had been fighting for most of his life against the Innies and the Covenant and had no problems nor complaints go against either. If the UNSC had a problem with someone or something he would kill it no matter what.

Carol eyed him closely, frustrated. A flurry of thoughts bounded about her mind, but one in particular bugged her. She had met plenty of people that believed in the UNSC, believed that everything would be fine if they blindly goosestepped to their orders. A look of disgust scrawled across her face, she rolled her eyes and slung her SMG over her back. Turning back to her locker, she punched in the code and found found ONI had already dumped her things inside. She reached into her bag and retrieved a small photo.

A child and two happy parents stared back at her as she sighed. It should have been a happy memory, but she could only remember the blood and violence of her parent's deaths. She stuffed the photo into her back and grabbed a set of dogtags instead. There were about twenty of them, jingling on a chain. She wrapped it around her neck and stuffed it down her shirt. She'd collected the dogtags from everyone in her squads that had died and, with the Covenant on the war march, she had a lot of dogtags. She sighed once more and muttered something under her breath.

"They aren't just criminals, they're people too."

She turned back to Foley, slamming her locker shut.

"Yes, assho- er, Sir."
Last edited by New Grestin on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 pm

New Grestin wrote:
The United Federation of Terrans wrote:"I think you need to rethink your position here. We are not here to determine whether our mission is relevant or not; we are here to kill. But I'll humor you, let's say those Innies make a jump with that freighter and get captured by the Covenant. Then we have a violation of Cole Protocol that would allow those Covie bastards to hit all of our worlds at once. So you can feel free to think of this as enforcing Cole Protocol or you can see this as killing human criminals; either way we will do the mission. Do i make myself clear?" Bressler asked after he ended his rant. He had been fighting for most of his life against the Innies and the Covenant and had no problems nor complaints go against either. If the UNSC had a problem with someone or something he would kill it no matter what.

Carol eyed him closely, frustrated. A flurry of thoughts bounded about her mind, but one in particular bugged her. She had met plenty of people that believed in the UNSC, believed that everything would be fine if they blindly goosestepped to their orders. A look of disgust scrawled across her face, she rolled her eyes and slung her SMG over her back. Turning back to her locker, she punched in the code and found found ONI had already dumped her things inside. She reached into her bag and retrieved a small photo.

A child and two happy parents stared back at her as she sighed. It should have been a happy memory, but she could only remember the blood and violence of her parent's deaths. She stuffed the photo into her back and grabbed a set of dogtags instead. There were about twenty of them, jingling on a chain. She wrapped it around her neck and stuffed it down her shirt. She'd collected the dogtags from everyone in her squads that had died and, with the Covenant on the war march, she had a lot of dogtags. She sighed once more and muttered something under her breath.

"They aren't just criminals, they're people too."

She turned back to Foley, slamming her locker shut.

"Yes, assho- er, Sir."

"That's gunny to your corporal, and don't act like your any different from the rest of us. I've seen dozens like your type thinking you've lost more then the person next to them and are entitled to act the way you please. Get this through your head corporal, I've done things to ensure the survival of humanity that no one would ever be proud of, I've seen my friends stabbed, dismembered, crushed and suffocated while you were still playing house. I don't ask you to like me corporal, but I will ask you to respect me. This is the survival of our race, is that clear?" Bressler said as he approached the marine. He knew their type; he knew that they did it because they felt themselves to have survived where others failed and while they were saddened they felt better then most. You have the blood of twenty comrades on your hands, I have the blood of thousands on mine

Ubaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ubaria » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:40 pm

"Anyone else think this mission is bullshit? Or is is just me?"

"ONI special brand bullshit" Dragan added, entering the room momentarily after, instantly turning towards the armor lockers. The corporal already had the undersuit and curiass on, all that was needed were the extra plates of armor and the helmet. Just as he was pulling on his greaves, Bressler made his opinions known from the other end of the room.

"I think you need to rethink your position here. We are not here to determine whether our mission is relevant or not; we are here to kill. But I'll humor you, let's say those Innies make a jump with that freighter and get captured by the Covenant. Then we have a violation of Cole Protocol that would allow those Covie bastards to hit all of our worlds at once. So you can feel free to think of this as enforcing Cole Protocol or you can see this as killing human criminals; either way we will do the mission. Do i make myself clear?"

"I love to kill as much as the next man Gunny, but why is ONI so hot on us killing these guys? We've been doing that for decades and yet here we are. Still fighting eachother. What was the saying? Playing the fiddle while rome burnt?" Dragan replied, as he pulled his ODST Combat Helmet from its locker, running his fingers along its distinguishing feature, a large ornate dragon that had been carved in with a knife edge. This helmet had been with him since Skopje, it had probably saved his life on many occasions and had obviously sustained some wear and tear along the way, paint had been scratched off and the faceplate was dulled, however it was still in perfect working condition. The rest of his armor was fairly standard, still with its hints of wear around the edges, the pauldrons remained in the locker however, Dragan opted for the better movement in tight spaces over the protection it offered.

As the heavy weapons specialist, there wasn't really anything the Corporal could take that would fit the close quarters environment that a freighter offered. No vehicles meant that there was no need for Rocket Launchers and the like, so instead he took out an MA5K Carbine, it was a shortened version of the popular MA5 Service Rifle, its shorter frame meant it was more maneuverable, however it provided less stopping power than its larger cousins. The second weapon was the trusty M6C/SOCOM, an internally suppressed variant of the M6C with an included smart linked scope to the ODST's VISR systems. These were both seated into their holsters as well as a serrated combat knife that remained clipped to the front of the armor section for quick retrieval.

CQB also meant grenades, more specifically stuns and smokes, he took three stuns and two smokes and fitted them to the webbing over the front armor plate, alongside his magazines. Two M9 HE Frags found their place perched on the hip also. The rest of his equipment remained in the armored backpack, things such as an emergency medical kit, Biofoam, Flares and such stayed there.

With everything obtained he gave his weapons the once over, making sure the ejection ports were clear, sights and scopes were zeroed correctly and most importantly, the safety swtich.
Yo, that's mad.

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Ubaria wrote:"Anyone else think this mission is bullshit? Or is is just me?"

"ONI special brand bullshit" Dragan added, entering the room momentarily after, instantly turning towards the armor lockers. The corporal already had the undersuit and curiass on, all that was needed were the extra plates of armor and the helmet. Just as he was pulling on his greaves, Bressler made his opinions known from the other end of the room.

"I think you need to rethink your position here. We are not here to determine whether our mission is relevant or not; we are here to kill. But I'll humor you, let's say those Innies make a jump with that freighter and get captured by the Covenant. Then we have a violation of Cole Protocol that would allow those Covie bastards to hit all of our worlds at once. So you can feel free to think of this as enforcing Cole Protocol or you can see this as killing human criminals; either way we will do the mission. Do i make myself clear?"

"I love to kill as much as the next man Gunny, but why is ONI so hot on us killing these guys? We've been doing that for decades and yet here we are. Still fighting eachother. What was the saying? Playing the fiddle while rome burnt?" Dragan replied, as he pulled his ODST Combat Helmet from its locker, running his fingers along its distinguishing feature, a large ornate dragon that had been carved in with a knife edge. This helmet had been with him since Skopje, it had probably saved his life on many occasions and had obviously sustained some wear and tear along the way, paint had been scratched off and the faceplate was dulled, however it was still in perfect working condition. The rest of his armor was fairly standard, still with its hints of wear around the edges, the pauldrons remained in the locker however, Dragan opted for the better movement in tight spaces over the protection it offered.

As the heavy weapons specialist, there wasn't really anything the Corporal could take that would fit the close quarters environment that a freighter offered. No vehicles meant that there was no need for Rocket Launchers and the like, so instead he took out an MA5K Carbine, it was a shortened version of the popular MA5 Service Rifle, its shorter frame meant it was more maneuverable, however it provided less stopping power than its larger cousins. The second weapon was the trusty M6C/SOCOM, an internally suppressed variant of the M6C with an included smart linked scope to the ODST's VISR systems. These were both seated into their holsters as well as a serrated combat knife that remained clipped to the front of the armor section for quick retrieval.

CQB also meant grenades, more specifically stuns and smokes, he took three stuns and two smokes and fitted them to the webbing over the front armor plate, alongside his magazines. Two M9 HE Frags found their place perched on the hip also. The rest of his equipment remained in the armored backpack, things such as an emergency medical kit, Biofoam, Flares and such stayed there.

With everything obtained he gave his weapons the once over, making sure the ejection ports were clear, sights and scopes were zeroed correctly and most importantly, the safety swtich.

Turning away from the corporal Bressler made sure everything was secure before he moved to the open armory door and stopped to look back in the room.
"Cpl. Ilyas, your assigned to my fire-team. Walk with me to the hangar bay, I think we can fit in a quick chat." With that Bressler left the armory with his shotgun slung across his chest, his sidearm secured and his helmet depolarized but secured for the day ahead. It's going to be a good day!!!

Ubaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ubaria » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:55 pm

"Cpl. Ilyas, your assigned to my fire-team. Walk with me to the hangar bay, I think we can fit in a quick chat."

Dragan nodded and secured his weapons to their appropriate holsters, when he was satisfied they were secure he moved out to catch up with the Gunny, who had already left. The corridors were eerily bare, especially just before a combat mission, normally there would be bustling crewmen, marines and ODST's all pushing eachother trying to makeway to their stations and now, there were only a dozen or so musing around the corridors slowly. The ODST caught up to Bressler who was walking down the corridor.

"Sir" Dragan simply stated as they both moved side by side at the same pace.
Last edited by Ubaria on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo, that's mad.

Vacif
Senator

Founded: Mar 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vacif » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:25 pm

As Hadrian made his way to the armory, he wondered briefly about what the AI said about no survivors. They would be killing the insurgents, but they were human. He signed up to kill aliens, but also enemies of the UNSC/UEG. The rebels fell under that category. He knew he probably should of felt the act of taking another human beings life wrong...but he didn't. He felt indifferent. Sighing, just a tiny bit he went to grab his equipment. CQB was right up his alley, he thought briefly about what they may face on that ship, they weren't exactly told how many hostiles were on board, nor what type of freighter it was, small details could save lives, but there wasn't much he could do about it now.

Seeing as it was close quarters, he'd take his Mk.I M90, an MA2B, a rarer rifle with a larger caliber, and an M6D. He loaded the MA2B with the infamous shredder round, a quick, and dirty solution to hostiles en masse, and lightly armored. He didn't exactly see the insurrectionists being armed with anything really up to date, probably equipped with Tactical assault vests long since phased out in favor of the M52B. If the rebels did posses heavy body armor however, that's what the M90, and partially the M6D was for. He debated bringing an M7 in place of the M6, but reasoned the MA2 was enough. Patting his combat knife, which was sheathed on his chest plate. After grabbing some spare magazines for the road, he secured his vacuum helmet onto his head. The comforting sound of it connecting with his suit brought a small smile onto his face as he attached a thruster pack to his back, and headed out, content that he was at least mildly prepared.
Last edited by Vacif on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for help on Pub-lishing your RP? Come check us out!
Member of Task Force Atlas
Nation name pronounced Vuh-sea-f, sometimes shortened to Vac, or 'Cif.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse