NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates' Transgender Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:45 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Dumb Ideologies wrote:
It conflates identity and conformity with traditional gender stereotypes.

Indeed. I took it yesterday, and when one of the first questions was about how good at math you are, I was worried. Studies have long proven false the stereotype that girls are worse at math than boys.

Also, the test was hopelessly binarist. Some of the questions were really tricky for me to navigate around.

For the record, it told me that I was a "probable transsexual" in the end. I feel like it would tell the same thing to a lot of men, though, and the opposite to a lot of trans women, considering what the questions were like....

I got "androgynous", and that was actually something I could relate to, hence why I don't dislike the test that much. Also because it gave me a few triyng-to-be-helpful suggestions for that, which I hadn't seen before, which was nice, too. The other tests I had seen didn't account for that result at all and just suggested more or less that I'm probably a regular cissexual, which wasn't really a satisfying result. So while I disliked the test for including so many stereotypes, I just took it (upon realizing that) as a test which tells me which stereotypical gender role I would fit better, which was something I was interested in, too.

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Jute wrote:Having male traits isn't something that would make anyone less of a woman, just as liking "girly" things doesn't make anyone less of a man. So you don't have to take it as an insult.

I do agree with this. There are femme men, tomboys, and people all along the spectrum. Gender identity doesn't have to be the same thing as gender expression -- and in many cases, it isn't. Just because we're trans doesn't mean that we should have to defend our genders by being super feminine/uber masculine (for women and men respectively), and that cis people expect us to is hypocritical. When a wee little cis girl wants to play with trucks and hang out with the boys, after all, no one assumes she's a boy -- why hold cis folk to different standards than trans folk? It's transmisogynistic to hold trans people to such high standards of femininity/masculinity.

This is exactly the reason why I always thought I could never be transsexual, because I thought it meant in my case being incredibly "femme", after reading about some reports where the portrayed where mostly very "femme" transwomen.

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Jute wrote:Here's the author defending the test, by the way: Link

When she said, "male homosexuality can be defined as a partial, incomplete, transsexualization of the brain", I stopped reading. It obviously reflects her own heteronormative outlook, since she obviously hasn't taken into account the numerous gay and lesbian trans people, nor the many masculine gay men (I'm not going to use a specific label here because there are too many) and the lipstick lesbians, who you would really never guess to be gay. And that's not to mention the bi/pan-erasure -- if being gay is somehow an "incomplete transsexualization", then what are bi/pansexuals? Bi- and pansexual people can be cis, binary trans, non-binary, etc., so what does that mean for them? Obviously their existence didn't even occur to her. And I can't take someone seriously when they pack so many logical fallacies into one sentence.

I only included that link for the sake of completion, didn't actually read it all, sorry.

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Jute wrote:Obviously, I just am not sure what "thinking deeply" means here. How and what to think about, for example. Hence why I tried that test to give me suggestions which I could use as some sort of starting point.

Well, when I was contemplating my own gender identity, I mostly just took a long time to think about how I experience gender. I still do. I did some research, did some introspection, did some more research, did some more introspection, went out to meet some trans people in my community, did some more introspection, joined this thread, etc. I thought about my past -- remembering that one time in Grade 8 I told my friends (all girls) that I wished I were a girl (to which they said that no, I didn't, because periods were horrible), remembering how sometimes I would love my body and love being a boy, remembering how at other times I would feel indifferent about or dislike my body and not enjoy being a boy -- and my present -- every time I start shifting genders now, I notice, and though I don't put so much focus on labelling what I happen to be experiencing at the moment, I do recognise my different feelings of gender, take note of my dysphoria vs euphoria vs indifference, and learn from every experience I have. I think a lot about gender nowadays -- not to the point of obsessing over it, and certainly not all the time -- but over the past year I've probably thought about gender more than most cis people will in a decade. I've had to do that in order to figure myself out. And I'm glad for it, because despite the monster that is dysphoria, I'm happier with myself now that I have a better understanding of me.

Thanks
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:46 am

Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:11 am

I have to ask, has anyone ever seen the documentaries on Joshiphine and Jazz?
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:51 am

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:I have to ask, has anyone ever seen the documentaries on Joshiphine and Jazz?

Nah, I haven't.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:I have to ask, has anyone ever seen the documentaries on Joshiphine and Jazz?

Nah, I haven't.

Both of them are MTF transgender, Josie's Documentary, Know as, "Living a Transgender Childhood" on Youtube; Jazz's Interview with ABC.

Josie is 9 years old, IIRC, and Jazz is 14 at this point.

I was reminded of Jazz when this popped up.

Benierra
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benierra » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:55 pm

Hi I have a question that I have always wanted to ask people who were transgender.

What made you decide that you wanted to change sex? Did you enjoy things that are considered to be for the opposite sex or did you just get on better with people of the opposition sex and decide to change or something else?

I know it's probably a rubbish and badly phrased question but I've always wondered how people become transsexual.

Aidannadia
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aidannadia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:58 pm

Benierra wrote:Hi I have a question that I have always wanted to ask people who were transgender.

What made you decide that you wanted to change sex? Did you enjoy things that are considered to be for the opposite sex or did you just get on better with people of the opposition sex and decide to change or something else?

I know it's probably a rubbish and badly phrased question but I've always wondered how people become transsexual.

I would avoid use of the word transsexual; it has a bit of a negative connotation. Transgender is fine.
Last edited by Aidannadia on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, my name is Aidan and I am still figuring out who I really am. Most of my views are some form of leftism someone could probably tell me is not leftism. I'm a guy.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Benierra wrote:Hi I have a question that I have always wanted to ask people who were transgender.

Not all of us want to change sex. And its not really about "enjoying things that are considered to be for the opposite sex" (especially for those of us who are non-binary), or getting along better with people of the 'opposite sex'.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Anyways, something cis people who really, really want to help us out should start doing: Start asking you parents/friends/other family/coworkers/bosses what they'd do if you were trans. Emphasize how you're not trans all you want, just ask them. If they ask you why you're asking, just say that what trans people have to go through on a daily basis has been on your mind a lot lately.

Like, seriously, if that became an actual thing people did without being trans themselves, that would save us SOOOO much trouble figuring out ways to figure out who all we know are total transphobes and who aren't. Plus, you know, opportunity to educate other people on our struggles.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:13 pm

1. None of us chose this. We're a majorly oppressed group throughout much of the world, so it would be stupid to choose this. No conscious decision was involved.
2. As Gren said, not all of us want to change our sex. I am transgender, but not transsexual.
3. See, now you're making the (extremely common) mistake of conflating gender with gender stereotypes. I like doing stereotypically masculine and stereotypically feminine things. I do often prefer the company of girls to that of boys, but I do have a number of male friends -- some of them fairly close. None of that, however, has any bearing on my gender identity.
4. Truth be told, no one really knows for certain how or why some people are transgender. And frankly, a great number of us have come to the conclusion that whatever it is, it really doesn't matter. The only reason for wanting to know, really, is being able to validate our experiences, being able to show all the cis skeptics a bunch of scientific studies to prove that we're not just mentally ill or confused or crossdressing perverts or whatever it is they're saying this week.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Grenartia wrote:Anyways, something cis people who really, really want to help us out should start doing: Start asking you parents/friends/other family/coworkers/bosses what they'd do if you were trans. Emphasize how you're not trans all you want, just ask them. If they ask you why you're asking, just say that what trans people have to go through on a daily basis has been on your mind a lot lately.

Like, seriously, if that became an actual thing people did without being trans themselves, that would save us SOOOO much trouble figuring out ways to figure out who all we know are total transphobes and who aren't. Plus, you know, opportunity to educate other people on our struggles.

Yes. I can't emphasise enough how much I agree with you on this. If people actually did that, it would be great. That's the kind of thing that makes a really great ally.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:19 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Grenartia wrote:Anyways, something cis people who really, really want to help us out should start doing: Start asking you parents/friends/other family/coworkers/bosses what they'd do if you were trans. Emphasize how you're not trans all you want, just ask them. If they ask you why you're asking, just say that what trans people have to go through on a daily basis has been on your mind a lot lately.

Yes. I can't emphasise enough how much I agree with you on this. If people actually did that, it would be great. That's the kind of thing that makes a really great ally.

There's gotta be a way to make it go viral, like the Ice Bucket Challenge, but in such a way that people responding won't lie and say they'd accept us.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:13 am

Uhh... they might start questioning me and I'm a horrible liar, so I'm not sure if I want to do that :P
Happy Easter everyone, by the way
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:49 am

Jute wrote:

Uhh... they might start questioning me and I'm a horrible liar, so I'm not sure if I want to do that :P

Its not technically lying if you're cis.

Happy Easter to you (and all the rest of yall) as well.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:02 am

I would, but I can't.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:05 am

Grenartia wrote:
Jute wrote:Uhh... they might start questioning me and I'm a horrible liar, so I'm not sure if I want to do that :P

If you saw my posts here you'd see that's probably not even true. :P And I could just think of another reason why I'm having problems nailing down my identity a bit: I'm rather indecisive and kind of scared of definite decisions that close other doors for me :?
Namely, I don't want to make my life harder (by proclaiming something that could lead to discrimination and/or other problems) only to realize I shouldn't have been so sure about it and regret it later.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:30 am

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:

I would, but I can't.

Same here.

Jute wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

If you saw my posts here you'd see that's probably not even true. :P And I could just think of another reason why I'm having problems nailing down my identity a bit: I'm rather indecisive and kind of scared of definite decisions that close other doors for me :?
Namely, I don't want to make my life harder (by proclaiming something that could lead to discrimination and/or other problems) only to realize I shouldn't have been so sure about it and regret it later.

Well, the "you" was a general you.

Honestly, though, I felt the same way, but I realized that being honest to myself was more important to me.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:35 am

Grenartia wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:I would, but I can't.

Same here.

Jute wrote:If you saw my posts here you'd see that's probably not even true. :P And I could just think of another reason why I'm having problems nailing down my identity a bit: I'm rather indecisive and kind of scared of definite decisions that close other doors for me :?

Honestly, though, I felt the same way, but I realized that being honest to myself was more important to me.

Yeah, obviously. Still, not proclaiming it loudly and publicly wouldn't exactly mean I'm not honest with myself.
By the way, if gender dysphoria exists, does gender euphoria exist, too?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:37 am

Jute wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Same here.

Yeah, obviously. 1. Still, not proclaiming it loudly and publicly wouldn't exactly mean I'm not honest with myself.
2. By the way, if gender dysphoria exists, does gender euphoria exist, too?

1. Not necessarily.

2. I'd say yes. Its called being cis.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:43 am

Grenartia wrote:
Jute wrote:Yeah, obviously. 1. Still, not proclaiming it loudly and publicly wouldn't exactly mean I'm not honest with myself.

1. Not necessarily.

You think so? :? Darn, don't try to make it even harder for me :P
I thought being cis is neither making you feel euphoria nor dysphoria in most cases? After all, I'd assume nowadays most people who aren't transgender in any way don't really care much about gender stuff. That's why I thought it could refer to something else. I think it was also mentioned before on this thread already.

Aidannadia
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aidannadia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:50 am

Jute wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
1. Not necessarily.

You think so? :? Darn, don't try to make it even harder for me :P
I thought being cis is neither making you feel euphoria nor dysphoria in most cases? After all, I'd assume nowadays most people who aren't transgender in any way don't really care much about gender stuff. That's why I thought it could refer to something else. I think it was also mentioned before on this thread already.

I cannot speak for all cis-gendered people, but I am a cisgendered man and will take offense if someone uses a feminine pronoun and will express my discontent until they change their behavior.

Gender Dysphoria is the common term for Gender Identity Disorder, which just mean that you are not content with the gender assigned to you at birth. If someone were to be the opposite of gender dysphoric, they would be comfortable with the gender assigned at birth. So I would say that is a fair assessment to say gender euphoria=cisgender.
Hey, my name is Aidan and I am still figuring out who I really am. Most of my views are some form of leftism someone could probably tell me is not leftism. I'm a guy.

Prusla-Schelswig
Attaché

Founded: Jan 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusla-Schelswig » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:54 am

Grenartia wrote:
Jute wrote:Yeah, obviously. 1. Still, not proclaiming it loudly and publicly wouldn't exactly mean I'm not honest with myself.

1. Not necessarily.

Well I wouldn't think so, some but not all cis people may feel they are being targeted by a vocal minority. Now some cis people like me take that as the rantings of a demented minority group jacked up on their own self-righteousness, but some others would take it to heart and think there is a feeling of being "Tainted" and "Guilty" by being a cis person

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:59 am

Aidannadia wrote:
Jute wrote:You think so? :? Darn, don't try to make it even harder for me :P

I cannot speak for all cis-gendered people, but I am a cisgendered man and will take offense if someone uses a feminine pronoun and will express my discontent until they change their behavior.

Gender Dysphoria is the common term for Gender Identity Disorder, which just mean that you are not content with the gender assigned to you at birth. If someone were to be the opposite of gender dysphoric, they would be comfortable with the gender assigned at birth. So I would say that is a fair assessment to say gender euphoria=cisgender.
Huh, for me it's the opposite. I laugh every time someone mistakes me for a female, but I always assumed this was just because I found the mishap funny :P As I don't really get offended when people refer to me as a male.
Also, I guess I can see your point. I was more thinking that euphoria would refer to that feeling when you especially feel happy and content about yourself, like when anyone would say "it feels just right", but that's probably a too narrow definition of it.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:41 am

Jute wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
1. Not necessarily.

1. You think so? :? Darn, don't try to make it even harder for me :P
2. I thought being cis is neither making you feel euphoria nor dysphoria in most cases? After all, I'd assume nowadays most people who aren't transgender in any way don't really care much about gender stuff. That's why I thought it could refer to something else. I think it was also mentioned before on this thread already.

1. I'm not proclaiming it loudly or publicly, and I'm still honest with myself. Just clarifying that, because the triple negative kind of confused me.

2. IIRC, the feeling of neither euphoria nor dysphoria is something agender people feel.

Prusla-Schelswig wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
1. Not necessarily.

Well I wouldn't think so, 1. some but not all cis people may feel they are being targeted by a vocal minority. 2. Now some cis people like me take that as the rantings of a demented minority group jacked up on their own self-righteousness, 3. but some others would take it to heart and think there is a feeling of being "Tainted" and "Guilty" by being a cis person

1. They have no reason to be. There's no negative sentiment being conveyed by my statement.

2. Obvious bait is obvious.

3. There's nothing wrong with being cis. Nobody here has ever said otherwise.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General