NATION

PASSWORD

II Wiki: Announcement and Discussion Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Carloso
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Carloso » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:38 pm

This is tres bad. Now how can I develop my world famous gud fuk missiles and other merchandise without access to the wiki. How? I cry every night.

In all seriousness, hope its up as soon as possible and the server gets more space. :p
Last edited by New Carloso on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE OFFICIAL FACTBOOK OF CARLOSO | FatChineseGuy: Official Mascot | Proud Member and Minister for Defence of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION! | FEEL FREE TO JOIN ATLAS | CARLOSSIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION

Victoriala
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:25 pm

New Carloso wrote:This is tres bad. Now how can I develop my world famous gud fuk missiles and other merchandise without access to the wiki. How? I cry every night.

In all seriousness, hope its up as soon as possible and the server gets more space. :p

We should, like have a temporary backup wiki when one fucks up so we can continue wikiing or smth
THE COMMONWEALTH OF VICTORIALA
Fuck discourse, Memes are the way forward (its inevitable and you know it)
FACTBOOK | LA SOCIÉTÉ | NATIONS | ILLUMINATOR | +
Fucking little island person. 陰 and 陽 but mostly 陰. I draw and do designs.
My NS activity is 90% shitposts. Singy and I fuck each other occasionally.
Equity is True Equality. Pro-Aufklärung, Anti-Gegenaufklärung. [economic: -4.0 social: -4.21]

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Victoriala wrote:
New Carloso wrote:This is tres bad. Now how can I develop my world famous gud fuk missiles and other merchandise without access to the wiki. How? I cry every night.

We should, like have a temporary backup wiki when one fucks up so we can continue wikiing or smth

Considering that would require all of the information from the back-up database to then be re-imported to the "official" database, I don't see that happening.

Again, thank you for your patience. We apologize for the downtime everyone is experiencing, but these things happen - especially with how active IIwiki has become, how many gigabytes of files are uploaded on a daily basis, etc.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Solm
Senator

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Hey everyone -

Thank you all for your patience. We have indeed run out of space. I have been out of town for the past week and have just gotten back. I will look into getting a temporary fix up by tonight and will look into permanent fixes this weekend.

I will keep you all updated.

Retired: ns .hellodot. solm @ gmail .dot. com

Solm
Senator

Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:36 pm

Alright.

So, as assumed, the server is at capacity. We no longer have any disk space left on the server. I have done a lot of optimizing the last month to keep it going as long as I can, but we have reached the limit of my quick-fixes. I just cleared away some extraneous files, so we have enough disk space left to update the logs and run the web-server. That's the good news! The wiki is back up in read-only mode for now. All pages can be viewed normally. It would not, however, hurt to download a copy of your articles for yourself, just in case, as a backup.

So, for the technically-inclined, here are some stats of our incredible usage as of now:

• 70,000 pageviews on average per week, that's about 10,000 a day or 250,000 a month.
  • The average session duration on IIwiki is 14 minutes, 45 seconds.
  • 15,717 total pages of content; a grand total of 58,427 pages.
  • 295,506 edits have been made since the start of IIwiki.
  • There are a total of 2,360 registered users on IIwiki; 289 active users.
  • 9,399,314 total views of content pages since IIwiki's creation.
  • 30,699 total files uploaded for a total of 27GB worth of images.
  • 40 gigabytes of total space taken on the server due to IIwiki.

I will keep you all updated with my progress and the future of IIwiki with the impending upgrade. Thanks for all your patience! Any questions, please post here or telegram me!

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Solm wrote:Hey everyone -

Thank you all for your patience. We have indeed run out of space. I have been out of town for the past week and have just gotten back. I will look into getting a temporary fix up by tonight and will look into permanent fixes this weekend.

I will keep you all updated.
If required, you should set up a donation page. I am sure that there are people out there who'll donate. (It's kind if ironic that I never donate to the actual wikipedia, but i would donate to IIWiki... lol)
Restore the Crown

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:09 pm

I'm sure there are a few hundred of those pages and files which are dead / not longer updated or regularly accessed that could also be deleted, but I appreciate that - considering the large number of pages and small number of staff - this would not be a particularly easy task.

It'd also take quite a long time too, I'd reckon, because there'd be a number of pages that would fall into the "grey area" of not having been recently updated, but accessed regularly, or you might have currently active NS players with currently inactive IIWiki pages who are fully intent on updating and expanding them, but have still yet to get around to the job... *hangs head in shame*
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Kylarnatia wrote:I'm sure there are a few hundred of those pages and files which are dead / not longer updated or regularly accessed that could also be deleted, but I appreciate that - considering the large number of pages and small number of staff - this would not be a particularly easy task.

For some of them, mass delete could work. Especially if it's possible to identify specific users who no longer frequent the wiki anymore. The only problem I see with it is if users do return and find their work deleted.

It'd also take quite a long time too, I'd reckon, because there'd be a number of pages that would fall into the "grey area" of not having been recently updated, but accessed regularly, or you might have currently active NS players with currently inactive IIWiki pages who are fully intent on updating and expanding them, but have still yet to get around to the job... *hangs head in shame*

Yup, you nailed it.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:10 pm

I have heard that IIwiki may migrate to Google's servers, according to a chat I've had with Solm. The way he explained how he plans to manage this has helped reduce doubts, and shows how he's dedicated to keeping this place going, for at least a few more years. ;)
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Radictistan
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Radictistan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:58 pm

I'd pitch in some cash if it came to it. I just created a 1 MB xml file using the Export function. I'm already deeply invested. :blush:

Legendardisch
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legendardisch » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:55 am

Hell even I would donate.
The United Federation of Legendardisch

Pegasus Armed Dealership | De Volkscourant | Embassy Program | Factbook | Legendardisch.gov
PROUD MEMBER OF: I.S.A , I.C.O.N , V.N.T , U.P.A , I.F.C , I.E.S.P , I.A.T.A , I.C.D , D.S.A , U.T.A

Some very cool links: Flickr | DeviantART | Personal Website
Nederlander | Je Suis Charlie | PEGIDA

Lipnitia
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lipnitia » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:11 am

Ow snap. :(
ЖЖЖ Wiki ЖЖ Factbook ЖЖ Esquarium ЖЖ Embassies ЖЖ Anthem ЖЖ Website ЖЖЖ
FOR: Cats, Bacon, Cats (again), Heavy Metal, Classic Rock, '80s music, Bears
AGAINST: Trolls, Flamers, Today's music
Brillnuck wrote:A more Western Belarus.
Fortitudinem wrote:Garish color themes of candycorn.

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:18 am

Legendardisch wrote:Hell even I would donate.

^
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

Hallowell
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallowell » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:20 am

I hope someone's make backups of the Atlas pages.

*cough, cough MoI*
Last edited by Hallowell on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ponies are NOT canon for my nation. I do not RP with pony-based nations.
HALLOWELL is tresgudfuk
Militant Atheist, Anti-Extremist, and Proud!
British Nationalist, Monarchist, God Save The Queen!
Land of My High Endeavour, Land of the Shining River, Land of My Heart Forever, Scotland The Brave
Starfire

FEEL FREE TO JOIN ATLAS!
NICHOLAS POR LVCEM DE SCIENTIA MAGNA DVCIS DE HALLOWELL

Sjalhaven
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sjalhaven » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:48 am

Legendardisch wrote:Hell even I would donate.

I am sure I could donate some of the money that Nigerian prince gave me.
OMNICIDE 2020
Insurrectionary whateverist

<QianRuri> Sjal for god emperor of mankind
<Zieg> I'm pretty sure you're Dugin
<Koyro> Sjalhaven is actually Lex Luthor only French
<Gibbs> sjal is your real name khan noonien singh
<Koyro> Sjal for Master of Mankind

New Carloso
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Carloso » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:29 am

Hallowell wrote:I hope someone's make backups of the Atlas pages.

*cough, cough MoI*

THL has since appointed me, Il Douche, as head of the Department of IIwiki. I assure you, I will do as little as possible to save backups of our wiki pages.
Last edited by New Carloso on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE OFFICIAL FACTBOOK OF CARLOSO | FatChineseGuy: Official Mascot | Proud Member and Minister for Defence of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION! | FEEL FREE TO JOIN ATLAS | CARLOSSIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION

Valmont
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Valmont » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:40 am

Kylarnatia wrote:I'm sure there are a few hundred of those pages and files which are dead / not longer updated or regularly accessed that could also be deleted, but I appreciate that - considering the large number of pages and small number of staff - this would not be a particularly easy task.

I fall into this category too. In fact, it's typical that when I finally intend on continuing with my wiki, IIwiki is experiencing problems... Just my luck. :lol2:

Anyway hopefully the issues will be resolved and thank you Solm for keeping us updated! :)

The Kingdom of Valmont
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬● 
A monarchist little tax haven, with a right-wing, conservative stance.

Wiki in progress

Victoriala
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:17 am

New Carloso wrote:

*cough, cough MoI*

THL has since appointed me, Il Douche, as head of the Department of IIwiki. I assure you, I will do as little as possible to save backups of our wiki pages.

Looks like we gotta export a lot to our personal wikis for now
THE COMMONWEALTH OF VICTORIALA
Fuck discourse, Memes are the way forward (its inevitable and you know it)
FACTBOOK | LA SOCIÉTÉ | NATIONS | ILLUMINATOR | +
Fucking little island person. 陰 and 陽 but mostly 陰. I draw and do designs.
My NS activity is 90% shitposts. Singy and I fuck each other occasionally.
Equity is True Equality. Pro-Aufklärung, Anti-Gegenaufklärung. [economic: -4.0 social: -4.21]

Geadland
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Geadland » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:23 am

Three suggestions for saving space:
  • Cutting down on revision history data. I doubt many users will need to know what their page looked like more than a year ago.
  • Encouraging smaller image uploads. Images take up a lot of file space, so directing users not to upload an image that is significantly larger than it needs to be would save a lot of file space.
  • Directing users to avoid uploading images that are available on WikiCommons. A lot of users don't actually know that you can access imagines that are available on Commons, but again it would save a lot of file space.
Kingdom of Geadland (Κογνερηικ Γαυδλȣνδ)
Wiki - Factbook - Map - Language - Esquarium Region - Embassy Program

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Geadland wrote:Three suggestions for saving space:
  • Cutting down on revision history data. I doubt many users will need to know what their page looked like more than a year ago.
  • Encouraging smaller image uploads. Images take up a lot of file space, so directing users not to upload an image that is significantly larger than it needs to be would save a lot of file space.
  • Directing users to avoid uploading images that are available on WikiCommons. A lot of users don't actually know that you can access imagines that are available on Commons, but again it would save a lot of file space.

#3 is excellent advice. I try to use images on Wikipedia and WikiCommons as much as possible and indeed, I wonder how many people know that this works?
Last edited by Layarteb on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Earth II Moderator | Earth II Discord | Member of The October Alliance
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •
• The Empire of Columbia •

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:01 pm

#3 is useful for non-people pictures, but when you make pages like elections or political parties, it's helpful to be able to remember the name of the file.
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

Solm
Senator

Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Just as a note: I am currently in the middle of transferring the bulk of images to the new server. I had to take IIwiki off the public internet in order to keep the images folder stable during the transfer. It will be back in read-only mode soon, thank you for your patience.

New Carloso
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Carloso » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm likeing #1 and #3 alright. I'd be interested in how much space is taken up by these revisions though.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:38 pm

New Carloso wrote:

*cough, cough MoI*

This is the commitment we needed to hear. Good work, comrade!
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Derman Iles
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

II Wiki: Announcement and Discussion Thread

Postby Derman Iles » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:41 pm

What happened to the images on iiwiki?
WWW.DermanTV.der WWW.DermanAir.der
You want to live in my nation? You're insane!
CAPITALIST, NATIONALIST, CANADIAN ROYALIST
Visit my wiki pages here!
Romberg wrote:Remember. If nukes aren't the solution, then you're not using enough nukes.
Generailia wrote:So invasion or hugs? Hard choice :lol:. I wonder how the citizens will react if they saw there savior just say. "Well I lost. HUG ME!" Then immediately drop his weapon and attempt to stop the terrorists with love.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information