NATION

PASSWORD

II Wiki: Announcement and Discussion Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Kyrusia wrote:Going to go ahead and apologize if some of you experience 502 Gateway Time Out errors for the next bit. We recently got the Wikimedia Template Import Module fixed, so I'm going through the backlog of template requests; this sometimes leads to 502 errors. If it does, it shouldn't last long and should be back working again in a few minutes. We thank you for your patience.

Boo! Hiss!

You ruined my article....and I want those 15 minutes of my life back. I know where to find you. :P

Pavonistade
Minister

Founded: Jan 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pavonistade » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Kyrusia wrote:Edit: Importation of a template that had previously been copied and pasted over by another user has, seemingly, resulted in a 502 Bad Gateway error. Hopefully things will be back-up and running smoothly in a bit.

Speaking of non-administrator importations, I've seen numerous such importations that have not been addressed. Not to criticize those in charge, but just a heads up and miscellaneous information.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
President: Calvin Elmore
Vice President: Otakta Sgriki
IIwiki | Glossary | I don't use NS stats
[NEWS] Pavonistadian researchers make breakthrough in Terahertz wave generation and modulation | Selective screening protocols in place amid coronavirus concerns | "The USA is the greatest threat to Pavonistadian security," states interior minister

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Pavonistade wrote:
Kyrusia wrote:Edit: Importation of a template that had previously been copied and pasted over by another user has, seemingly, resulted in a 502 Bad Gateway error. Hopefully things will be back-up and running smoothly in a bit.

Speaking of non-administrator importations, I've seen numerous such importations that have not been addressed. Not to criticize those in charge, but just a heads up and miscellaneous information.

We work almost exclusively off information reported by IIwiki users; we simply don't have the time to scour through the over 57,000 pages (and over 30,000 distinct user uploads) all individually. Hence, we rely on users reporting what they suspect are issues. If you find any, report them in the appropriate place or you can directly report them to an administrator by visiting one of our talk pages.

In addition, while user manual importations are technically against the rules, given the breaking of our auto-import module for quite a while after the latest MediaWiki update, we've been operating on the basis of: "If you copy and paste a template to IIwiki, retain the original article's title, import not only the template but also the documentation (/doc) page, and ensure it functions properly. If it doesn't, report it to an administrator." As a matter of pragmatism: copied and pasted templates that work and adhere to these basic precepts are more likely to simply go unnoticed as user imports if they function properly. After all, if a template isn't broken, people aren't liable to even look at the mark-up - much less the article history.

Now that the import module is now working again, however, this shouldn't be required; and, again, if you see anything you suspect might be in violation of the Standards & Conventions, please report it. Without reporting it, we really have no way of knowing it exists - even if we camp the "Recent Additions" page just to watch for un-patrolled, new pages.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Everything should be back up and running now. Again, thank you for your patience.
[KYRU]

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Can't upload images. What's up?
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Pavonistade
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pavonistade » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:07 pm

IIwiki down for anyone? It is for me.

(It's a 504 Gateway Time-out)
Last edited by Pavonistade on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass:
[NEWS] Pavonistadian researchers make breakthrough in Terahertz wave generation and modulation | Selective screening protocols in place amid coronavirus concerns | "The USA is the greatest threat to Pavonistadian security," states interior minister

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:08 pm

Maltropia wrote:Can't upload images. What's up?

I know we're starting to approach our limit on space, so it may be related to that; I'll see if I can figure out what's up and get back to you.

Edit: Given the 504 error, it may be related to the aforementioned pending approach of our limit on space... Or the host may simply be fiddling with some things.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[KYRU]

Pavonistade
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pavonistade » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:16 pm

Kyrusia wrote:I know we're starting to approach our limit on space, so it may be related to that; I'll see if I can figure out what's up and get back to you.

Edit: Given the 504 error, it may be related to the aforementioned pending approach of our limit on space... Or the host may simply be fiddling with some things.

The 504 error is temporary and short-lived, and I was able to get back on IIwiki. However, I am unable to log in. Despite putting in the correct information, it redirects me to the page that I was on yet the above-right area existed as if I did not log on i.e. it shows the IP address and talk for it, login button, and register button). Sometimes it says that my cookies are disabled, even though I never disabled them before attempting to log on. What does this mean?
Political Compass:

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm

Pavonistade wrote:
Kyrusia wrote:I know we're starting to approach our limit on space, so it may be related to that; I'll see if I can figure out what's up and get back to you.

The 504 error is temporary and short-lived, and I was able to get back on IIwiki. However, I am unable to log in. Despite putting in the correct information, it redirects me to the page that I was on yet the above-right area existed as if I did not log on i.e. it shows the IP address and talk for it, login button, and register button). Sometimes it says that my cookies are disabled, even though I never disabled them before attempting to log on. What does this mean?

That... Really sounds like what happened when we ran-out of space last time, and the host only had enough room to keep loading the Main Page over and over again (the Main Page takes up about 80kb, for reference). Still waiting to hear from the host, but until then, as a humble administrator, I can't exactly access the server console to tell you what is wrong. :P
[KYRU]

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:33 pm

I don't know whether to be proud or scared of the speed of IIwiki's growth. Probably both. :p I guess me uploading a picture of a small hill can wait.
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

East Carrolina
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby East Carrolina » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:43 pm

I just tried to Login to IIwiki, It won't let me because it says I have cookies disabled. But I checked, and my cookies are enabled. I think this is probably a sight error.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Maltropia wrote:I don't know whether to be proud or scared of the speed of IIwiki's growth. Probably both. :p I guess me uploading a picture of a small hill can wait.

Transcluding from Wikimedia Commons - it's your friend. :P No need to upload stuff if it's on the Commons, you just need the name of the Common's file and the normal image syntax and it'll show up. For things like that, that's really what I'd suggest: finding an appropriate image on the Commons rather than uploading one.

East Carrolina wrote:I just tried to Login to IIwiki, It won't let me because it says I have cookies disabled. But I checked, and my cookies are enabled. I think this is probably a sight error.

Thank you; please see here.
[KYRU]

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Kyrusia wrote:Transcluding from Wikimedia Commons - it's your friend. :P No need to upload stuff if it's on the Commons, you just need the name of the Common's file and the normal image syntax and it'll show up. For things like that, that's really what I'd suggest: finding an appropriate image on the Commons rather than uploading one.

Generally that's what I do, but Wikipedia doesn't even have an article on Brí Leith, let alone an image. <.< I could just start uploading all my images there first, though, and hijack their bandwidth. :p

East Carrolina
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby East Carrolina » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Kyrusia wrote:
Maltropia wrote:I don't know whether to be proud or scared of the speed of IIwiki's growth. Probably both. :p I guess me uploading a picture of a small hill can wait.

Transcluding from Wikimedia Commons - it's your friend. :P No need to upload stuff if it's on the Commons, you just need the name of the Common's file and the normal image syntax and it'll show up. For things like that, that's really what I'd suggest: finding an appropriate image on the Commons rather than uploading one.

East Carrolina wrote:I just tried to Login to IIwiki, It won't let me because it says I have cookies disabled. But I checked, and my cookies are enabled. I think this is probably a sight error.

Thank you; please see here.

Oh. Never mind. Its working now. Thanks :)

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:31 pm

When I try and edit the Slevdovatel article, I see a database error.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Has the toolbar disappeared for anyone else when they're editing?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:06 pm

I'm pretty sure this is all related. Don't be surprised if you get random errors right now; it's being looked into.
[KYRU]

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:09 pm

Kyrusia wrote:I'm pretty sure this is all related. Don't be surprised if you get random errors right now; it's being looked into.

Grazie, Kyrus.
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:35 am

Some users have reported that in some cases, the wiki went down while they were making a major edit, and so they lost the content they were adding to their articles. I advise anyone who is editing their articles in the coming days, until the issue is resolved, to make sure that if they are conducting major edits, to save the content on their computer in the event that the wiki goes down while they are editing.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Lipnitia
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lipnitia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:23 pm

IIwiki is down. It says "502 Bad Gateway".
ЖЖЖ Wiki ЖЖ Factbook ЖЖ Esquarium ЖЖ Embassies ЖЖ Anthem ЖЖ Website ЖЖЖ
FOR: Cats, Bacon, Cats (again), Heavy Metal, Classic Rock, '80s music, Bears
AGAINST: Trolls, Flamers, Today's music
Brillnuck wrote:A more Western Belarus.
Fortitudinem wrote:Garish color themes of candycorn.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Lipnitia wrote:IIwiki is down. It says "502 Bad Gateway".

Kyrusia wrote:I'm pretty sure this is all related. Don't be surprised if you get random errors right now; it's being looked into.
[KYRU]

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:07 pm

Tbh, I notice a bit of a pattern. It's up for like 10-30 minutes, then down for a couple of hours, then up for 10-30 minutes, and it goes on.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Luziyca wrote:

Tbh, I notice a bit of a pattern. It's up for like 10-30 minutes, then down for a couple of hours, then up for 10-30 minutes, and it goes on.

If I had to guess, this correlates to portions of the DB/server being able to process a limited number of requests in the queue (due to limited remaining space), before then halting. Again, the patience is appreciated; I'm waiting to hear back from the host, and when I do, I'll be sure to update the thread with what I learn as soon as I can.
[KYRU]

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:31 pm

Kyrusia wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Tbh, I notice a bit of a pattern. It's up for like 10-30 minutes, then down for a couple of hours, then up for 10-30 minutes, and it goes on.

If I had to guess, this correlates to portions of the DB/server being able to process a limited number of requests in the queue (due to limited remaining space), before then halting. Again, the patience is appreciated; I'm waiting to hear back from the host, and when I do, I'll be sure to update the thread with what I learn as soon as I can.

Yeah, it is a likely possibility. Also, a suggestion for the host: a hard reboot, eh?

Lipnitia
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lipnitia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:37 am

Luziyca wrote:
Kyrusia wrote:If I had to guess, this correlates to portions of the DB/server being able to process a limited number of requests in the queue (due to limited remaining space), before then halting. Again, the patience is appreciated; I'm waiting to hear back from the host, and when I do, I'll be sure to update the thread with what I learn as soon as I can.

Yeah, it is a likely possibility. Also, a suggestion for the host: a hard reboot, eh?

Heh heh :P
ЖЖЖ Wiki ЖЖ Factbook ЖЖ Esquarium ЖЖ Embassies ЖЖ Anthem ЖЖ Website ЖЖЖ
FOR: Cats, Bacon, Cats (again), Heavy Metal, Classic Rock, '80s music, Bears
AGAINST: Trolls, Flamers, Today's music
Brillnuck wrote:A more Western Belarus.
Fortitudinem wrote:Garish color themes of candycorn.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information