NATION

PASSWORD

Lithuania to reintroduce conscription

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you support the reintroduction of conscription in Lithuania?

Yes, I support the reintroduction of conscription in Lithuania
54%
No, I don't support the reintroduction of conscription in Lithuania
46%

Total votes : 237

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Lithuania to reintroduce conscription

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:34 pm

As reported by BBC:

Lithuania is to reintroduce conscription over concerns about "the current geopolitical environment" in the Baltic states, President Dalia Grybauskaite says.

Conscription will be renewed for a five-year-period to "enhance and accelerate army recruitment", she said.

Ms Grybauskaite did not specifically refer to the situation in Ukraine, but neighbouring states have expressed worries about Russian aggression.

Parliament must still approve the plan.

Lithuania abolished conscription in 2008, but the new rules would see it reinstated for men aged 19-26, with exemptions for certain categories, such as university students and single fathers.

Up to 3,500 men would be recruited each year.

Latvia's defence minister has also suggested strengthening his country's military, by increasing army numbers to 7,000 men. However, there are no plans to introduce compulsory service...

Countries with military conscription

Russia - All male citizens aged 18-27 must enrol for a 12-month draft of military service
Ukraine - Conscription was reinstated in 2014 in response to escalating violence in the east of the country
Estonia - Compulsory military service for eight or 11 months from the age of 18
Austria - Voted to retain compulsory military service in 2013. Men must serve six months in the army or nine months in civilian service when they reach 18
Greece - Males aged 19 to 45 are required by law to perform military service for nine months
Turkey - Military service is mandatory for all men over the age of 20. They must serve between six and 15 months
Denmark - Conscripts serve an initial training period that varies from four to 12 months from the age of 18
Norway - Men aged 19 to 44 must serve in the armed forces for 19 months. Women born from 1997 onwards, will also be conscripted from the summer of 2016
Germany - Compulsory military service was suspended in July 2011, but it remains in the country's constitution

A map, showing where the Lithuania is:

Yes, the only place where Lithuania borders Russia is Kaliningrad oblast.

So, NSG, I have a question for you - do you or do you not support this initiative of Lithuanian government? Why?

Lithuania's total population is c. 3 mlns.

I for one fail to see how 3500-7000 conscripts could improve its defense capabilities. The reintroduction of cinscription, OTOH, opens all passible ways for corrupt officials to capitalise on it (just look at the Ukraine right now and the rising rate of bribes required to "buy" yourself a right dignosis to dodge the military service). I for one won't be surprised, if after adoption of this initiative Lithuanians would (re)join the international brotherhood of draft-dodgers.
Last edited by Lytenburgh on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Russia's fault.
TG me. Just do it.

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:38 pm

Steamtopia wrote:Russia's fault.

What? That Lithuania decided to adopt a useless (but, possibly a lifewrekning) law? Gee, how convenint! In past it was "Devil forced me", now it is "Russia's fault"!

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:39 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:Russia's fault.

What? That Lithuania decided to adopt a useless (but, possibly a lifewrekning) law? Gee, how convenint! In past it was "Devil forced me", now it is "Russia's fault"!

It's a completely reasonable policy to adopt when your neighbor is invading countries left and right.
TG me. Just do it.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Lithuania... Conscription...

my god...

EU4 was right!

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Also Lithuania has decided to enact manifest destiny on the vast Russian steppes and has obliterated Crimea down to three provinces (they used to pretty big), took out Kazan, took Smolenks and almost conquered the golden horde and they would have if the ottomans did not step in and wear them down. Now with my help they got some more land off of the Livonian order so its only a matter of time before they launch another campaign out that way.

They are coming for us all!
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:40 pm

I for one fail to see how 3500-7000 conscripts could improve its defense capabilities. The reintroduction of cinscription, OTOH, opens all passible ways for corrupt officials to capitalise on it (just look at the Ukraine right now and the rising rate of bribes required to "buy" yourself a right dignosis to dodge the military service). I for one won't be surprised, if after adoption of this initiative Lithuanians would (re)join the international brotherhood of draft-dodgers.

By your logic they should just cut military spending because they are going to get rolled over anyway if they get attacked.

3500 conscripts annually is also a pretty decent amount, easily adding up over the years. It will be good to have a trained reserve force when the time comes.

Allegan County
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Allegan County » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:42 pm

I'm completely against conscription. I don't think Lithuania has to worry about Russia too much. Estonia and Latvia, though...
"A man's natural rights are his own, against the whole world; and any infringement of them is equally a crime, whether committed by one man, or by millions; whether committed by one man, calling himself a robber, (or by any other name indicating his true character,) or by millions, calling themselves a government." - Lysander Spooner

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 pm

In reality, Lithuania has more to worry about those two nuclear plants being built near its border then the Russian military.

Kaliningrad and Belarus are the ones building the nuclear plants.

Map - http://vilnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ngrad.jpeg
Last edited by Rio Cana on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Lytenburgh wrote:

It's a completely reasonable policy to adopt when your neighbor is invading countries left and right.

Which "neightbor" of Lithuania is "invading" countries "left and right"?

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:It's a completely reasonable policy to adopt when your neighbor is invading countries left and right.

Russia, as I mentioned.
TG me. Just do it.

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:
By your logic they should just cut military spending because they are going to get rolled over anyway if they get attacked.

Yes - exactly. No matter what, no matter how they try - they are still screwed. This is just a reality they had to live with.

Iwassoclose wrote:3500 conscripts annually is also a pretty decent amount, easily adding up over the years. It will be good to have a trained reserve force when the time comes.

When the times... to what? Invade Byelarus for "ancestral Lithuanian lands"?

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Lytenburgh wrote:

Russia, as I mentioned.

Have you seen the map? Russia is hardly a "neghbor" for Lithuania.

And what about "invading countries left and right"? Russia for the last 20 years had more peaceful and non-interventional foreign policy then the US.

Or, what - you want to tell us about all those countless and totally innocent countries that Russia "invaded left in right"?

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:Have you seen the map? Russia is hardly a "neghbor" for Lithuania.

Have you seen the map? They're right next door. A flight isn't even two hours to Vilnius from Moscow.

Lytenburgh wrote:And what about "invading countries left and right"? Russia for the last 20 years had more peaceful and non-interventional foreign policy then the US.

>using the US as a standard
Please, don't make me laugh.
Last edited by Steamtopia on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TG me. Just do it.

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:58 pm

It's a bit too late for that, but then again, I've always supported conscription as a way to educate youth, if not necessarily an efficient form of military.

You can't really expect to have any reserve material among young folks to whom CoD is the closest they've ever gotten to actually firing a real gun.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
Iwassoclose wrote:

Yes - exactly. No matter what, no matter how they try - they are still screwed. This is just a reality they had to live with.

Iwassoclose wrote:3500 conscripts annually is also a pretty decent amount, easily adding up over the years. It will be good to have a trained reserve force when the time comes.

When the times... to what? Invade Byelarus for "ancestral Lithuanian lands"?

The point isn't to repulse the invaders, its to try and prevent them from gaining ground and fortifying themselves. Just long enough for reinforcements from other countries (NATO) to come and help. And they will come. As they are part of a coalition, their contribution adds to the greater whole. That means a small amount of troops from every country is still a shit ton of soldiers.

See Ukraine.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Lytenburgh wrote:Have you seen the map? Russia is hardly a "neghbor" for Lithuania.

Have you seen the map? They're right next door. A flight isn't even two hours to Vilnius from Moscow.

Lytenburgh wrote:And what about "invading countries left and right"? Russia for the last 20 years had more peaceful and non-interventional foreign policy then the US.

Russia would have to go through another country either way; they sure as hell wouldn't go through Kaliningrad Oblast.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:04 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:Have you seen the map? They're right next door. A flight isn't even two hours to Vilnius from Moscow.

Russia would have to go through another country either way; they sure as hell wouldn't go through Kaliningrad Oblast.

Why not? Anyway, I wouldn't put it past them to use Belarus. It's not like Belarus is a real country anyway.
TG me. Just do it.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Russia would have to go through another country either way; they sure as hell wouldn't go through Kaliningrad Oblast.

Why not? Anyway, I wouldn't put it past them to use Belarus. It's not like Belarus is a real country anyway.

I am thinking Belarus is next.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Russia would have to go through another country either way; they sure as hell wouldn't go through Kaliningrad Oblast.

Yes, yes it is.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:07 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:Why not? Anyway, I wouldn't put it past them to use Belarus. It's not like Belarus is a real country anyway.

Next? They're already a puppet state.
TG me. Just do it.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:08 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Iwassoclose wrote:

Is that why Lukashenko follows completely different policies than Russia and has been known in the past year to rebuff Russia on certain things?
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Steamtopia wrote:

Most likely because Kaliningrad Oblast is entirely surrounded by NATO members.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:09 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:Next? They're already a puppet state.

Is that why Lukashenko follows completely different policies than Russia and has been known in the past year to rebuff Russia on certain things?

Completely different policies like?
TG me. Just do it.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Steamtopia wrote:
Iwassoclose wrote:

That is true. However-

Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says his country is ready for a "constructive dialogue" with NATO.

Speaking to top Belarusian military officials in Minsk on February 19, Lukashenka said: "As a sovereign state we are open, in particular, to constructive dialogue with NATO on parity and transparency principles."

He added that "we have a lot of common issues [with NATO]; joint work on which fully meets Belarus’s interests."

Pimp Putin is not impressed.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:
Steamtopia wrote:Next? They're already a puppet state.

That is true. However-

Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says his country is ready for a "constructive dialogue" with NATO.

Speaking to top Belarusian military officials in Minsk on February 19, Lukashenka said: "As a sovereign state we are open, in particular, to constructive dialogue with NATO on parity and transparency principles."

He added that "we have a lot of common issues [with NATO]; joint work on which fully meets Belarus’s interests."

Pimp Putin is not impressed.

I'll be more impressed when they actually do something. Like, say, apply to join.
TG me. Just do it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General